(2010/07) July 2010 MTB

As we were talking about fever yesterday, Kayden developed fever too. But he is ok today le.

Babycoco: Oh.. great. Maybe I drop by your shop when the goods are there to try sizes.

Happy New Year dear Mummies.

The Year has begun in a rushed fashion for me. My daughter's first day at Child care was on 3rd Jan. We parents were only allowed to be with her in the mornings for 3 days only.

My observation was, even though she was okay on the first day, her crying became worse by the 3rd day where she vomitted. I am very upset and lost and feel that i have done my baby wrong by putting her Child care.

Today is her 4th day there and my husband has called the child care from time to time to monitor. She also cried and vomitted today.

Mummies, I think the enrolment on the first day of school (whatever school) is far more difficult than the preggie process for me.

Im not sure if i have done the right thing. I dont think Im ready for this shit...

All my friends have told me that it is like that for the first two weeks.

Sob Sob

Jayamum: My childcare in-charge told me that we have to tahan for the 1st month at least. As mummies, it doesn't mean that we always know what is the right thing for them. It is through trial and error that we learn more about what suits them. Did she cry for the whole day and reject food or anything? Or she just cry and vomitted once only. If it is just once, then still not that bad.

I also told Papa, we give Kayden 1 mth, if after one month or within one month, we see any stress factor in him, we will take him off childcare. For now, we bring him to childcare every Saturday to play and get use to the place.

Hello mummies.. happy new yr!

I also putting my child to childcare soon this coming jan 16.. Oh My God! After seeing all this post.. Make me worry too.. Even before he start childcare I already have tot of other alternative if he is not suit to the childcare.. Well Jux pray hard everything is ok... ^^

E just started childcare this week too, he always cries whenever we say bye bye to him, be it if we accompany him for many hrs, 1 hr or just leave him w the teacher immediately. Noticed that many of older kids will cry from time to tine as well, and friends tell me the crying never stops completely.... So hang in there mummies, esp if u truly believe cc will help them in their developmt. The teachers advised us not to linger too long, so E knows that in school, it's time for teachers to look after him. And during pick up, best to just pick and leave soon as well.

Hello Mummies, just an update.

As some of you mummies have mentioned, the crying did not completely stop but baby gets distracted by the teachers from time to time.

Ann, she only vomitted once on Thursday and Once on Friday. Thereafter, she was okay.. though the occassional crying did happen.

I was expecting the worse today but as soon as she reached Child care this morning, she opened her arms to one of her favourite teachers there and she was okay after that. My husband was peeking through the window and there was no crying.. she was just playing.

So the moral of the story is ... our little sweethearts will eventually cope.. be it now or later... they will cope.

Thank you mummies for your advice... I guess i too have finally recovered from the stress of 1st week of child care.

Jayamum, great to hear that she's ok w going to school now!

My boy cried this morn when we said bye to him, face was all red with tears streaming down his face. But even before we could walk out and leave the school doors, we saw that he had already stopped crying and was playing w toys!

Baby coped and together with that.. she is now having runny nose and cough... sigh... This too is common... which is what I heard from other mummies.

jayamum, ur ger is in sch for wholeday?

Its really common for these cough and flu..

but that is my phobia also...

I intended to let my boy go those 2hours pg when he turn 24months (just a neighbouring school near my house). with the help of my MIL.

My hubby says our boy is so free at home doing nth.. and my MIL does not know how to teach..

so im going to let him go GUG and have a try..

1 lesson per week should be ok to start off with.

How i wish I have more time with him..

its so hard to juggle with work and family.

Hi, all mummies!

My girl is also a july BB.. My mother is rushing me to put her to a childcare this year as well.. But still looking around at JW area..

REally worried she cant cope as she still doesnt know how to talk.. I would prefer her to stay at home with my mum.. Coz childcare tends to get sick easily..

Hi Cheese... yes my daughter is in school wholeday.

I agree with your hubby on the part about our children dont learn much at home. It is not like those day when we were kids... when school is only kindergarten...

With the rate the world is going it is better to start early. Not that my girl will become a genius overnight... it is just that... she tends to learn social skills and some form of discipline.

As of yesterday, it will be five days since she has gone to childcare. Last night I caught her on video pretending to be like her teacher. Singing songs and also she was doing something weird like twisting her little fingers together. Then my husband figured out.. that she is doing "Incy Wincy Spider".

I was quite proud.. that my little 18+ month old can do so much. But the price that my daughter and I ahve to pay is.. the separation... which I know that we will overcome... sooon... I hope.

Bdmummy... It quite strange huh.. they cry terribly and then when they know we are gone... they just continue playing like nothing happened... my goodness!

Eliss, Im not sure how true it is but some of my friends say that our children build up their immune system this way. They fall sick then their bodies fight those sickness.

ladies, beware of the coughing part.

My boy had consistent cough when he was in IFC... he recovered but I think not fully..

then on and off I took urgent leave to take care of him... and we thought he recover.. but

he is not.. in the end I gotta withdraw out due to his condition and he have severe bronchitis and not recommend to go for long hours.

Doc recommend him to go for school only when he is 3.

Luckily in the end my MIL quit her job and help us take care... and now slowly I will bring him to those 2hours pg to try it out first.

I also want him to go for school.. if not he will be at home only with my MIL only.

I try to bring him out during weekends.. or weekdays to park, NTUC so that he wont feel shy

when he see strangers.

This cutie boy know how to greet bus driver and gave them "flying" kiss when he take bus..

At least can see that he is very excited when he is out

Ann: Yes we put E in full day cc @ Kinderland in Tj Pagar area, rather near my workplace.

Cutiez.Area: Hi welcome to the forum. My boy is slow in his speech development, he prefers to gesture rather thn talk and says only very few words. Pd recommends he start cc coz they learn faster. And in the 1 week I do see slight improvement too.

Jayamum: indeed, some pd do take the view that it is matter of time that they fall sick and build their immune system. But I give cod liver oil and sambucol regularly now to help build his immune system.

Hi bdmummy,

Thanks for sharing..

I do agree that they tends to learn faster if put into the CC.. As my elder son's social skill is much better than my 2nd son.. Who is with my MIL till he was 4yrs old..

I was worried for my youngest girl as i tend to see that she is quite slow in almost everything.. Talking, her teeth also.. So dont really dare to put her in so early..

Jayamum: The school in charge also told me the same thing. This is the way they build up their immune system. Think this is something which we had to go through when we put them in cc.

bdmummy: Oh.. ok. Kinderland was also one of the cc which I considered. But the person in charge of the one at YCK, talked like only rich pple place their kids there the very first time I call to enquire, so it is immediately crossed out on my list. Haha!!

Cutiez: I think your mum is the first grandparent I came across who request the parents to place the grandchild in the cc faster. My MIL was not very into the idea of placing Kayden in the cc and I heard quite a few grandparents also dun like the idea.

Self drive to KL: We are doing our first drive to Malaysia with BB Kayden and my in-law. Cause my sister-in-law getting married so my FIL need to go up to KL to distribute wedding cards. Hubby cannot take leave so we are running on tight schedule. Hubby decide to leave on a Friday night after work like 8pm like that. Can mummy who had done self drive advise me if the rest stops along the expressway are 24hrs operating? My FIL needs to go toilet every 2hrs like that. Thanks.

Ann - only a few major rest stops are 24 hrs kopitam, Ayer Kerok I know has 24 hrs food. Restrooms are open throughout i believe.... but beware of driving in the night cuz the NS expressway are not litted all the way... most of the time, the lights are from the oncoming vehicles/car headlamps... can be dangerous for tired drivers cuz long period of dim lights can induce sleep even when driving... trust me I know that cuz i was driving the first leg to Msia at 5am-7am... it was a scary feeling...

if no choice, ask your hubby to put on loud music on his headset...this will minimise the sleepyness...

all the better avoid driving at night like a plague to Msia... we heard of too many tragedies along the NS highway!

Morning mommies! It's wonderful to hear that your bubs are going to school now - no more the babies that we carried in our arms.

H is not in childcare coz my mom is helping to take care of her. She'll be going for 2hr playgroup, 2x a week after CNY, if there's vacancy. And to think that next year she'll be starting N1! Time flies man! Now she goes to children's church while hubby and I attend the service every Sunday - she's doing well. The moment she sees a children church helper, she'll walk to her and wave bye-bye to me without turning her head to me, as if to shoo me away! Hahaha! I agree that sending them to playgroups, cc helps in their social development.

Ann: the rest stops along the North-South Highway are openend 24/7 but not advisable to stop at the smaller ones - robbery, etc. And please tell hubby to drive carefully coz there are lotsa of lorries plying that route at night, especially if he is not used to night driving and driving long stretches. Have fun! I've driven in the night - it's very tiring on the eyes

Eliss: driving in the wee hours of the morning is still better than driving at night. and it's not scary lah [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] try driving on the scenic route on North Island, NZ - that was scary! haha

Hi mummies,

Thanks for all your advice.

Actually I am also worried about safety at night. Like bad litted road, robbery, etc. Especially with elderly and bb ard.

That is why I agreed to driving to KL at night.

Have suggested to hubby to drive in wee hours in the morning, at least part of the travel will be in daylight, so not so scary. But hubby say it would be too taxing for him since he is the only one driving and the moment he reach KL, we would have to travel around to the relatives house and not rest till night time.

Hopefully if we depart at 8pm, we will be able to reach by midnight. Another thing I worried about is my MIL say stay in hotel near relative place if possible and not city centre, malaysia place not like singapore residential area, I scared those hotel also not well litted. So scared.

Ann: As long as someone constantly talks to your HB or hv sufficient rest stops, that'd help to prevent him from falling asleep at the wheel.

Talking abt self-drive, we went to NZ - North Island some years back to visit my relatives there, and we were on self-drive within North Island.

Back then, only my uncle can drive....so my auntie who sat in front will act as his "vehicle commander" and will constantly talk to him and ensure he doesn't fall asleep at the wheel.

Though we were driving during the day time along the scenice road, it can be very tiring esp when the road is straight and when there are rows & rows of trees alongside, after awhile, all look the same. We make sure we make frequent rest stops so that my uncle can have a break as well. Cuz there was a sec, he almost fell asleep at the wheel.

Hi Ann: Yes, my mother is one of the weird grandparents.. Hahaha.. As she finds it very tiring to take care of my daughter compare to working.. She feels that its good to put her in early to start learning..

I'm the one that feels she is not suitable to start too early when she cant really express herself well..

As my elder son bites all his frens during his first mth in the CC when he was 18mths old.. N he was asked to leave when the sch got complains from the other parents.. I was very upset at that time..

So dont really wish my girl will face this problem again..

Junie: Yup, I will sit next to my hubby.. talk to him. Stock lots of red bull and some tidbits. Bring his favourite cd so that he can sing and drive at the same time. Haha!!

Cutiez: Different kid react differently. Dun worry so much. Even identical twin have different personality.

Ann: If u want to reach KL by midnight, then it is better to depart SG by 6pm, considering the frequent stops u need to make. The bigger stops north bound are machap, pagoh, Ayer keroh. Pagoh and Ayer keroh has baby changing rooms. Like what the rest said avoid the small stops for safety reasons. Also, limited facilities there. Last time I had no choice but to stop at kulai rest area coz Ian poo-ed. We had to change him at one of those open huts on a hard wooden floor! Free show for all! Lol!

Anybody has any idea if the playgroup in MMI (Modern Montessori International) is actually a childcare prog or those like 2hrs daily kinda playgroup?

Cuz I realised childcare ctr also uses the term playgroup for their 18ths mth - 2.5yr old childcare group.

vernie: BTW, Marymount Kindergarten public registration for 2013 is scheduled on 18 Feb 2012.

I've emailed them to check the time but no reply yet.

In 2013, our boys shld be in their pre-nursery class right since they shld be 2.5-3y/o liao hor..?

Junie: yup, 2013 i.e. next year they'll be in N1 (pre-nursery). Go by year of birth, not month. Pre-school education is not compulsory. How time flies ... sigh [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Jayamum,

I heard about the crying part too. The theory is that when we are in sight, they want us, but once out of sight, other things can distract them. Best solution for the kids and us is to be hard hearted. Ie, bring them there, leave them there and go off. Dont linger ard and cant bear to leave. This will affect them even more.

As for immune system, i guess also bah. We cant be too clean with our kids. If not they will fall sick easily. Also if S only has a bit of cough or running nose, I wont give him med. His body will then try to fight off the virus by itself and in turn build up his immune system.

Portable DVD Player: Any mummy know if there are any portable dvd player which I could rent? Bringing Kayden to Taiwan and thinking of bringing one there to play his favourite dvds so he can be entertain if he gets bored.

hi mummies, i've received the polliwalks shoes. the elmo design is really cute. for those asking about the size, amelie wears US6, for polliwalks, i got her 1 size bigger. she loves them, have been wearing them all day. let me know what sizes you want cos distributor only gave me 2 pairs per size, i'll order more of the popular ones.

you can also check them out at my shop, Ariel Baby Co, Raffles MRT Xchange. We're closed on weekends, so need to arrange timing if you want to come down on weekends.

yup, agree with suntan =)

As an early childhood educator before, my advise is, don't sneak out, have a proper goodbye, kisses and hugs and tell your child that you will be back at what time to pick them up, and that he/she will have fun with friends and teachers. And trust that your child will be in good hands, teachers will have ways to calm them down and trust me, after this phase is over, they will be so attached to the teachers and looking forward to go to school everyday!

I did came across crying and vomiting, but don't worry about that, kids can cope eventually. Somehoe i like to deal with seperation anxiety, because i feel great sense of fulfillment when i manage to calm a kid down haha! The feeling of being trusted by a kid is indescribable.

So when i have to go out/ teach in my home studio, i always have a proper goodbye with my gal. At first, she cried still. But after a while, she knows and understands that i will be back. So will wave goodbye and kiss with her teary eyes, haha! and when i am out of sight, she is ok and continue to play.

I think should be ok ba cause only 5 pupils in the class in total. You bring your son to the school to play on Saturday to let him familiarize? Maybe we can arrange a date and let them play together in school on a Saturday. Hehe!!

hi mummies,

can i check how many naps r u toddlers taking now? and usually from what time?

and also how many milk feeds & qty they r taking?

my boy is still taking 2 naps - from 10.30-12pm and another from 4pm - 6pm.

we r starting him on morning playgroup soon but then that wld take away his morning nap & one of his milk feed (cuz he will drink milk before his nap).

wonder if that wld "wreck" havoc on his routine/schedule.

Woohoo! Morning Mummies!

Ohh.. talking about sending our kids to school. I have sent Aiden to a neighbouring 2 hours playgroup and this is the 3rd week today. Same as Jayamum, the school only allowed us to attend the first 3 days.

So daddy went in on the first day with him, he didn’t cry but keep wanting to leave the class halfway. I guess the lesson was too bored for him as the teachers were explaining on some rules and regulations to the care-givers. The moment the teacher opens the door, he was so happy! Quickly got up and walk towards the rack where he placed his shoe and was giving flying kiss to everyone before he left. The same goes for the second day when I was with him.

3rd day, my maid brought him there. When I called to check how he was doing, maid said that he cried a little bit. LOL! There were one particular day when my mum send him to pg, he cried and trigger a few other kids to start crying. He stopped and watch the rest of them crying. OMG.. :p Yes, slowly he will adapt to the environment, though he will still cry or give you the [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] face, he is still willing to take off his shoes by himself and place it on the rack. Initially, my mum was so reluctant to send him to playgroup because she felt that he is too young, but I am glad that he is coping well and my mum is now convinced that we made the right choice. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

By the way, Disney on Ice and Barney’s Musical Castle show is coming! Hmm.. I think I will bring Aiden to the Barney show since he knows barney more than Disney.. LOL! Importantly, free admission for our kiddo coz they are below 2 years old! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

minmin,

yeh yeh, i am also going to bring Luke to the Barney musical castle show.

haven enroll Luke is any school yet but brought him to a few trial classes.

he was pretty happy with the parent assisted class from LEAP school house at city square mall. he started of being quite clingly for the first 5mins after tt he went to disturb the girls. OMG loh.

thinking of puting him in for weekend class 1.5hrs per week on sat.

Junie,

erm, luke's still having 2 naps and 2 bottle in the day. morning play grp still ok, at most he after school will go hm n sleep. Might be longer then usual nap maybe.

I am also bringing kayden to the Barney musical show. Hehe!

Junie: most of the time, kayden take long morning nap only. Normally about 3 hrs. Then afternoon hardly sleep unless we shacked him out with a trip to the swimming pool or a trip.

our girl is on 1 nap (1-3/330pm), 3 bottles (190ml) a day. since she can stay up longer without getting tired, she's on just 1 nap, with bedtime at 7pm. occasionally she will nap in the car (40min) at about 11am if we're out and she's very tired.

junie, if his schedule is going to be disrupted, maybe you can slowly adjust? slowly push back his nap a bit later everyday until he can tahan until 1pm. then next time he can nap after playgroup... just a suggestion.

Junie,

from my experience after bringing luke to so mnay trial classes. which many of the classes starts at 11am or 9am which fall nicely into his nap time. he usually forgot tt he needs to sleep while playing. But once the class ends, i can find him stoning in the carrier or stroller after which 10mins or so later he will goes into lala land on his own.

eh, any mummies wanna met up together and goes to the barney show together?

tks mummies for your inputs & advice.

after nights of thinking, i've decided to put my boy in the afternoon PG instead, from 1pm - 3pm.

he can then take his nap in the late afternoon. hopefully, it won't become a prob where he sleeps late @ night instead :p

Back