Any Porridge Recipies to Share??

Hi Jas,

normally i will chop the spinach til very fine....then put it inside the slow cooker n cook together with the porridge. Of cos, wait til 10 mins before we switch off the slow cooker

hi glayds,

The cookbook name is Feeding your baby and Toddler by Annabel Karmel. Tried a few recipies for my girl and she loves it.

The recipies are more for ang mo. I'm looking for cookbook that are more for chinese.
biggrin.gif

I give yogurt as dessert or as tea break. I don't give yogurt as a meal. Normally, I will leave it to room temp and serve. Or maybe a litle bit cold.

The yogurt brand that I bought is Petit Miam. From NTUC. The cover states gentle on tiny stomach and also states suitable for 6 month and above. The BIG problem is very difficult to buy.
kao_laugh.gif
It only a small bottle , so I serve all. I just let her eat till she don't want. The rest I eat. Let your baby guide you on how much he wants to eat.

Hi no name,
So only cook the spinach for 10 mins? Ok, tomorrow I shall try.

hi glayds,

Or maybe I can post a few recipies here from that cookbook. You want? Maybe can try for your girl and see if she likes before you purchase.

If you are interested, I can post those recipies that include cheese and milk and also yogurt.

hi mummies,

Here goes

Cheesy leek, sweet potato and cauliflower

15g butter (I bought unsalted one)
25g leek, washed and sliced
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into chucks
225ml boiling water
75g cauliflower
25g grated cheddar cheese (I bought Kraft.)

Heat the butter in a pan and add the leek. Saute for about 3 minutes until softened. Add the sweet potato and pour over the water and cook for 5 minutes.

Add the cauliflower and continue to cook for 5 minutes.

Strain the vegetables, reserving the cooking liquid. Blend the vegetables together with about 100ml of the reserved cooking liquid and the grated cheddar cheese.

By the way, mummies, is there any particlar cheese that baby can or cannot consume? I have no knowledge of cheese so just bought Kraft.

Fillet of cod with a trio of vegetables

125g potatoes, peeled and chopped
125g carrots, peeled and sliced
125g cod fillet, skineed
3 peppercorns (I did not add this because I can't find it in NTUC)
1 bay leaf (I did not add this because I can't find it in NTUC)
1 sprig parsley
100ml milk (I use formula mik)
15g butter
1 tomato, skinned, deseeded and chopped

Put the vegetables in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until tender.

Meanwhile, put the fish in a pan with the peppercorns, bay leaf and parsley. Pour over the milk, then poach the fish for about 5 minutes or until it flakes easily. Strain the milk from the fish and reserve. Discard the flavouring.

Melt the butter in a pan, add the tomato and saute unti mushy. Flake the fish with a foke, checking carefully for bones. Drain the vegetables, then add to the fish with the tomato and 60ml of the reserved milk. Blend to a puree.

hi, notice that some of you put spinach together with the porridge to cook in the crockpot.

i've noticed that when spinach is cooked for too long, it turns green (like any other green veg).. so i'm just a little concerned tt this way of cooking might destroy a lot of the vitamins tt ur bb shld be getting.

also, read a book tt says spinach has oxalic acid which might interfere with the iron absorption in the young ones.

so, usually i boil the spinach for a while, then cut them with a pair of scissors to make it finer for my 21mo gal. then i add the veg to cooked porridge.

my 2 cents worth.

dear thumbprint, can send me the link too please? thanks so mucH! pls PM me. my boy is coming to 8mths and i am running out of ideas too!

jas, ur stock sounds yummy! but is it okie for a 8mth old to have things like leek, celery, onions, garlic, herbs in his stock huh????? can advise? thanks.

about blender, try ULike, its really good, i like it so much.

mary heng, u said spinach contains oxalic acid that interferes with iron absorption??? but spinach itself IS high in iron leh... what kinda spinach u use? i was confused last time betw heng cai and puay leng/bo cai, and learnt that it shld be hengcai and not puayleng. not sure those angmoh reciples/info are referring to pauyleng instead a not? anyway, i steam spinach seperately, then add to a bit of porridge to blend before serving.

hi buttons,
yup, that's what i read. it's from a guide for asian parents. written by a chinese.

it's a purple book called "Feed Your Child Right. The First Nutrition Guide for Asian Parents" by Lynn Alexander and Yeong Boon Yee.

not sure whether they mean puay leng or heng cai though.

Hi Mary Heng,

Puay Leng is the green vege that we ususally use in steam boat, Heng Cai should be the chinese version of spinach, think in mandarin called "Jian Cai"

Just check with the vege store seller in the wet market, they will provide you the vege accordingly...

Sorry Mary Heng,
Like to clarify, Puay Leng is not the vege that uses in steamboat, but just check with the vege store seller, they will know definitely know...

Hi all,

I am planning to cook salmon porridge for my 8 mth old bb, anyone know how to cook to make it tastier?
I also do not know how to cook fish stock...Could anyone help?

By the way, what type of cheese is suitable for 8months old bb? Where to get?

Thanks.

Hi mommies,
can anyone advice on how to cook pumpkin for my 10 month boy? Have never cooked pumpkin before, do i need to peel the skin, can the skin be eaten?

hi tay ann,

u have to cut away the skin, too hard to be peel off :p u may wan to steam the pumpkin or cook in a slower cooker together with pork lean meat.

hope it helps!

hello dannalyn, you do not receive PM, maybe you would like to update your profile or give me your email address so that I can send the link to you again?

hello tayann, you still cannot receive PM and you did not indicate your email address in your profile. Perhaps you would like to give me your email address so that i can email you the link?

Hi mommies...

I don't use slow cooker for my 10mth old bb girl. But what I do is to boil the meat (pork rips) with scallop for about an hour to 2 to get the stock then cook for my girl's porridge when she needs to eat for about an hour.

I also blend the rice before cooking so that the rice is already in smaller bits.. when I cook the porridge I then add the chopped finely vege and meat (from the pork ribs) .. my girl likes it pretty well and quite tasty.. cause I tried.

As for the stock for cooking fish porridge you mommies can try to boil ikan billies with soya beans or yellow beans... as a base and then add the fish (preferrbly gou fish- slightly more x) with the other vege.

Tay Ann... for the pumkin that I cook for my gals' porridge peel off the skin first then I cut into smaller pieces and boil with my stock afterwhich then I smash it up and add into the porridge to cook for about an hour with the other ingredients

If anyone trying what I have done let me know the result.

Last but not least for the pork ribs for the base, I use "wu hua gu" it's the one I buy from wet market which is more expense. There is soft meat together with the ribs cost about S$15/kg over here where I live.

Tempura76, thanks.

ds-mommy, thanks. My boy boy now also 10 months. When i cook porridge, i just add the pumpkin or other vegetables/ingredients in the rice and slow cook several hours, smash or blend before feeding, is there a difference? I m thinking of making porridge using ikan bilis stock, heard it's high in calsium, however, a bit concern that the salt content is too high, what do you think?

Back