Any Porridge Recipies to Share??

tempura76

Dear Mummies..

Can share your delicious and nutritious recipes?
My bb boy is abt 7 and half mths now..wan to make his food interesting. Thanks!

i will boil the stock with yellow beans or ikan bilis and then add carrot, potato, sweet potato or pumpkin. Boil all till soft.

for me, i will boil the stock with chicken/pork bones with carrot/potato/celery/big onions etc. Use the stock for bb's porridge and smash the rest and mixed to the porridge. I usually cook a big pot and me and hb will drink the soup up. very sweet!

I usually boil the porridge together with kurau fish, spinach and pumpkin. Sometimes i will replace pumpkin with carrot or beancurd..

Hello tempura76, i came across a forum on many receipes for babies and toddlers, however it is prohibited to post the link so i just took one of their receipes to post here. If you like to have the link, just PM me, and i can send it to you.

Fish paste congee with spinach and egg yolk (suitable for 8-15 months baby):

Ingredient

1/2 bowl of spinach
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon fish paste

Method

Blanch spinach in hot water. Soak it in cold water for a while to eliminate the taste of vegetable. Chop into tiny pieces or grind in blender to a puree. Cook the egg. Retain egg yolk and mash. Leave for later use.

Submerge 2 tablespoons of raw rice (about half cup) in hot water for more than an hour before making congee. Pour about 7 cups of water into the pot.

Add spinach puree, fish paste and egg yolk when congee boils with bubbles. Cook for a while.

hi thumbprint... could i have the link please?

TIA
happy.gif

hi thumbprint, can u pm me the link too... thanks!

my boy is coming 4 months old, would it be too early to give him porridge?

hello all.

kit, sent the link to you just now. Have fun experimenting on the porridge!

sonic, you dun accept PM so i can't send to you. 4 months might be too young for porridge, he might have problem to digest it. i think it will be better to wait until 6 or 7 months before introducing porridge to him.

Hi Thumbprint,
can PM me the link?

Sonic
i agree with thumbprint. it is too early for porridge at 4 months. the main nutrition would still be from milk below 6 months. and like what thumbprint say he may not be able to digest. he may not be able to swallow semi solids well also.

Hi All,
i usually try to make my boy's porridge a bit more colorful. Green - Vege (Brocoli/Spinach/Asparagus/Cauliflower), Yellow - Corn, Protein - Beef/Chicken/Fish/Pork, Orange - Tomato/Pumpkin/Carrot/Sweet Potato

I try to have all colors
happy.gif

My fren also suggest that i add in some brain food like linseed. So far my boy is ok with it.

Hi Thumbprint,

Could you pls pm me the link you mentioned?
My gal is 10 mths already... running out of ideas on what ingredients to add to her porridge.

TIA ! =)

sorry thumbprint, just activated my PM... thanks to send me the link again...

though my boy is too young now, think better practise more now so it won't be too messy when he's ready for it..
happy.gif

hello mommies, just PM all. If I miss out any of you, let me know.

sonic, i also agree that practicing makes perfect. Maybe can test more porridge recipes on yourself first to see which recipe taste better. It will be better to introduce your baby simple porridge or i should say... bland first then slowly to more colourful recipes.

hi all,

For me, I add:
- borcolli, sweet potato, carrot and pork.
OR
- spinach, pork
OR
- carrot, red dates, pork
OR
- borcolli, scallop and pork

hello jazzyjas, just PM you.

As for the "pureed", are you referring to the Fish paste congee with spinach and egg yolk recipe that i posted b4? If you are referring to that, i juz follow exactly by the recipe to chop it into tiny pieces (you can also grind it in blender) to a puree.

Hello Thumbprint, thanks! I have rec'd the link.
happy.gif

If bb no teeth yet, can eat carrot, chicken, fish etc.?
Paisai, many Qns..

hi thumbprint,

i'm going to give my boy solids soon. as i read, all the recipes recommends to grind the food into really fine powder form.. i've tried using my old blender but it doesnt do the job well. may i know which blender or grinder can grind really fine baby food?

Hey Sonic

You can consider using this blender call U Like. It's small and very easy to use. I use it to grind/blend my baby's food.
happy.gif

It's currently selling at people's park complex and tangs.

hello!

jazzyjas - i am not too sure how old is your bb, but if your bb had eaten cereal and had no prob with it, then shldnt have any prob to start the carrot etc if you can manage to grind it as fine as possible. but still, it will be better to introduce one at a time in case of allergy.

sonic - i have not got my best ideal blender yet too. probably we can try therese's recommendation.

thanks therese. is your blender easy to clean? i'm a lazy mum, prefer something tat can blend the food really fine and also easy to clean...
happy.gif

loppily
i gave my boy fresh button mushroom after 1 yr. mushroon is hard to digest so maybe nt so gd to give early

hi thumprint,
Thanks for the link. It is very useful.

My friend told me to boil the mushroom and use the soup to cook porridge. Anyway, I have yet to try.

hi mummies!

im so glad that this thread is moving, hopefully some mummies will find it useful.

cheers!

hi jas, i think by using the mushroom and pork will probably make the stock taste better?? just a suggestion, i will also give it a try this weekend. haha..

Loppily..if ur bb has got tooth alreadi u might stil wan to blend or chopped the mushroom very finely so they can disgest easily.

hi tempura,

Hey, it a good ideas. By the way, what type of mushroom to buy?

I guess your baby is about 8 mths old?

hi jas,

hehe..thanks! i think get those normal mushrooms will do.. think its those one in black color, very nice aroma wan..can get in chinese medical shop or wet market, even supermarket has it i think..

my bb just turned 9mth end of march..urs?

Thanks thanks mummies. Ya...thought mushroom is not only nutritious but can make the stock more tasty too. Will try it out soon.
happy.gif

hi tempura76,

How to prepare? Just cook the mushrooms in the boiling water? For how long?

Hi mummies.
I posted in other thread too regarding how to prepare chicken stock and vegetable stock. Thought maybe I can share here too. But I myself has not try yet.

Homemade vegetable stock
Ingredient:
1 onion, peeled
1 garlic clove, peeled and roughly chopped
2 large carrots, peeled
1 large leek, washed
1 stick celery
1 tbsp olive oil
850ml water
1 sprig parsley
1 sprig of thyme (optional)
1 bay leaf
4 peppercorns

Method:
Roughly chop all vegetables. Heat the olive oil in a large, thick-bottomed pan and add the vegetables and garlic. Sweat the vegetables in the oil without colouring for 5 minutes- cover with a lid if you like.

Add the cold water and bring to boil. Add the herbs, bay leaf and peppercorns. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.

Leave to cool for a couple of hours, then strain through a seive. Squeeze remaining juices out of the vegetables by pushing them down in the seive with a potato masher.

Suitable for freezing

Back