(2009/04) April 2009 MTBs

hi NM, when will we get the babycook, early Nov rite? Pls sms me, oki? thks...will PM u my hp no.
happy.gif

is there any problem with baby taking brown rice? i just started weaning him - 2/7 ago, he was taking white rice porridge as his 1st semi-solid, yesterday and today he was taking brown rice...

leereiner: im not sure if u have found out, but NUK bottles premium choice are not all BPA-free, but only the ones that are labelled PP [polypropylene] are.

edi
I used the philips blender which can blend ice! I think its 750watt.
There is a braun blender which can do quite a good job for the ice. Which is yours?
Usu those which are GLASS type are more heavy duty.

I think you can cook and blend too. But I am worried of
1) Will blending porridge introduce too much air into the cereal?
2) Cereal will turn cold very fast
3) Very inconvenient as u will need to blend every time you cook.

I find the blender heavy and a hassle to wash... haha hence prefer to do the grinding all at once.
Best to do in batches to keep the rice powder FRESH.
happy.gif

For the pear puree, did you steam it?
My bb doesn't like it steamed and pureed!
sad.gif

I find it so yummy leh...

Pumpkinseed
Hee... I also think I too hardworking! But I can't find 100% gluten free, soy free etc cereal.
Bellamy's also OOS. So I DIY.

Also, I think I enjoy doing it.. kinda like those experiments we used to do in school.
Can't wait for babycook to arrive so I could experiement more!

Oshgosh_baby
Hee I have no idea how to advise you as I just introduce solids. So Jovan is eating very very little.
About 30ml per feed.
I used 1 tablespoon powder to cook and will throw the leftovers away.
U start with maybe 2 tablespoon and see how much your bb can eat.
Can adjust accordingly.

RE: Plain Nestle Cereal
I had a box which I made a batch to try. Quite yummy leh..

Audrey
U r so right. I think my bb loves white rice more! But I gonna train him up with the brown rice which I spend so much effort making!
Haha... (My MIL kept saying maybe he doesn't like the taste) BUT I think he is doing quite well already for the initial stage of weaning.

Baked_potato
U bought so much brown rice! 2 packets! Is it organic?
Hee u wanna try Organic Jasmine Brown Rice? I can pass you some.
happy.gif

Hi Babymummy,

i use the braun glass blender..its only 525watt..dont think i can use it to grind the rice.
so what u did was to grind them in small portion ah? how much exactly did u grind each time? i think the one that i bot was 1kg..is it too much to grind all at the same time?

as for the pear, yes i have to steam it first then i freeze it in the fridge..when i need it i just take it out and thaw then serve at room temperature...yummy..i like it myself..
happy.gif

How old is your baby? actually if he is above 8 mths old, u dont really have to steam the pear..jsut as long as u buy those ripe soft ones, then jsut cut and mash it up..

Leereiner: Just my personal opinion, I bought 1 wide Nuk Premium bottle previously. 1 thing about NUK is the teat. I find that after using the NUK teats for some time, it becomes slimy and sticky. Sometimes it goes out of shape.

I threw several NUK teats away already. I dont face such problems with my avent one. Except that it turns a little yellow. I wonder for NUK, is it that the teat melts over time during the sterilisation process.

So if you want to get NUK, this is my personal experience.

babymummy,

after u grind the brown rice, how do u cook them again? u put water and let it boil for how long? if i want to add breastmilk do i wait till its cooked already then add in the milk or put it in and cook together?

i dont think we shd cook breastmilk rite?very confusing ah cooking for babies...so many things to learn...
happy.gif

edj,
just want to check the type of pear u use to purees for your bb??
my bb dun like pear puree lei, she only like apple n bananas..

Hi gals
want to check with all of you. Once your bb starts solid, do u still continue to let your baby drink the same amount of milk? My baby is on 5 milk feeds per day..usually will wake her up for the 10pm feed. Am considering whe to drop this feed...but afraid that baby may not have enough milk. She is on the small side, that's why the hesistation.

Yvonne,

I use the normal peckham pear. the green one. i usually peel, cut and steam for few minuted then blend. i store in the freezer and thaw when needed. just serve them at room temperature. my bb loves it. Stimes i mix it with avocado or rice cereal. all work for me.
happy.gif

Leereiner
Confirm not BPA free ah..
I post the link sometime back.
It should says PP bottle.
Comes only in baby PINK and baby BLUE.

Edj,
I find that grinding in small portion is better. More fine. Else will end up with fine powdery rice at the bottom and coarser ones at the top. Pulse function is quite good too.

U add tablespoons by tablespoons to test it out.

Recipie says cook 10min! But I cook longer. Coz the husk is abit hard still. Now I am using a slow cooker. Cook it in the morning before work and MIL mix with BM before serving.

Ya better not cook BM.. else nutrients al lost.
happy.gif

If u are cooking over stove, really muz watch fire and keep stiring coz it will stick to the pot very fast!

And being an apr mummy, my bb is only 6.5M! haha.. he is the smallest boy here. 15th percentile!!! ho ho ho

Hi,

is there a mummy gathering on the 7 nov? its a bbq?
at someone's house?

Will anyone be organising a lunch outing soon?
iam usually more free during weekdays afternoon.
happy.gif

hI babymummy,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will try gridning it tomorrow.
happy.gif

oh yyeah forgot that we are Apr mummies...hehe..mine was born on the 10 Apr...
happy.gif

how heavy is your baby?

<font color="0000ff">Eviangal:</font> NUK silicone teats shd nt b slimy. Bt e yellow latex ones r once u sterilise @ high temp. B1's IC teachers told me latex teats r like dat. They advised me 2 switch 2 NUK when she wasnt taking 2 bottle well initially. It worked! Bt I onli buy silicone teats, even now 4 B2.

:Eviangal, i believe the recommendation is to change teats every 3 months

http://www.babycenter.com/0_bottle-feeding-when-to-replace-nipples-and-bottles_1129505.bc

:edj, do be careful in the way you store the brown rice. Brown rice contains natural oils, which can turn rancid if left at room temperature especially in Sg hot humid weather.

http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/brown-rice-baby-food.html
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/news/?p=773

:DTSmummy, organic brown rice is better for baby.
White rice - a refined starch that offers your little one very little in the way of nutrition

Hi Ashleigh,

For my bb, when i first started him on solid because the amt of solid he took was very little so initially milk intake the same but as he progresses to take 2 and now 3 meals a day...the milk intake has decreased. Though he is still on 4 milk feeds, the time i latch him on is shorter except for the morning feed. The remaining 3 feeds usually shorter time. The last feed is usually around 8-9pm. i dont wake him up if he doesnt cry for milk. i intend to reduce milk feed to 3 times a day when i start introducing oats for bfast. Hope it works.
happy.gif
coz my bb loves to latch on...jia lat...hehe

ACtually u can try borrowing this book called The Contented Little book of Weaning by Gina Ford...its quite good for reference..

hi edj,

is the The contented little book of weaning useful? cos i have the contented little baby and it has a small section on weaning as well.

for my bb juz turn 7mths, she has 3 milk feeds and 2 cereals with purees.
7am - milk 210ml
12pm - 4 tbs cerals w puree
3pm - milk 160ml
6pm - 4 tbs cerals w puree (fruit/veg)
9pm - milk 210ml

u say u plan to introduce oats for bfast. me wondering how to intro breakfast(but i plan to stick 2 meals a day until she's 8 or 9mths)
let me know how it works ok..

how abt fish and meat huh? which mth can start?

edj,
Will take note about the brown rice when I intro to my gal. Thanks.
If I have the time, I will but hardly have time to do the grinding. I am a SAHM, most of my time taking care of my gal plus cooking. Weekends will be more busy, everyone is at home!

eunice,
Ops, hope ur gal can fit in for longer period!
I am a kiasu mummy, always buy very big size clothes :p but this round for bloomers, quite small, and bb E can fit in all
happy.gif

bb_mummy, u can try to stir fry the brown rice first before u grind it...that's what my mum is doing...n my bb loves it....it gives a kind of aroma...yummy

milkmonster,
$ still not in, will look out for the transaction.

cocobunz &amp; pravina &amp; Sanni,
Received.

Leereiner,
Added 1 box of Pasta Stars ,200g, $7.00 ea.

<table border=1><tr><td>#</TD><TD>Name</TD><TD>Total ($)</TD><TD> Payment</TD><TD> Date Received </TD></TR><TR><TD>1.</TD><TD>Audrey</TD><TD>38.20 </TD></TR><TR><TD>2.</TD><TD>Baby_mummy</TD><TD>32.40</TD><TD>Paid</TD><TD>25Oct09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>3.</TD><TD>cocobunz</TD><TD>14.20</TD><TD>Paid</TD><TD>27Oct09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>4.</TD><TD>Corine's Mum</TD><TD>6.00</TD><TD>Paid</TD><TD>26Oct09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>5.</TD><TD>Eunice</TD><TD>18.00</TD><TD>Paid</TD><TD>26Oct09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>6.</TD><TD>eviangal</TD><TD>26.20</TD><TD>Paid</TD><TD>26Oct09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>7.</TD><TD>Jas J.</TD><TD>18.00</TD><TD>Paid</TD><TD>24Oct09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>8.</TD><TD>Jean</TD><TD><font color="ff0000">32.40</font></TD><TD>Paid</TD><TD>25Oct09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>9.</TD><TD>Leereiner</TD><TD>21.20</TD><TD>Paid</TD><TD>26Oct09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>10.</TD><TD>lovj</TD><TD>32.40</TD><TD>Paid</TD><TD>26Oct09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>11.</TD><TD>Ow_mummy</TD><TD>20.40 </TD></TR><TR><TD>12.</TD><TD>Pravina</TD><TD>13.00</TD><TD>Paid</TD><TD>27Oct09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>13.</TD><TD>Sanni</TD><TD>12.00</TD><TD>Paid</TD><TD> 27Oct09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>14.</TD><TD>Yvonne</TD><TD>19.20</TD><TD>Paid</TD><TD>25Oct09 </TD></TR><TR><TD>15.</TD><TD>milkmonster</TD><TD>26.20 </TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>Grand Total:</TD><TD>329.80</td></tr></table>

<font color="ff0000">Hi mommies!</font> Hvnt had chance 2 post coz my hb needed e PC 2 finish prjs past few days. Both kidz also had me veri tied down. Thot I cld kp awake aft they slept or wake b4 they do 2 sneak in some surf x bt I was dead tired - story of my life
happy.gif
Anyway, quite catch-up here b4 I hit e sack...

<font color="119911">Last Fri's lunch @ Paragon:</font> Was so nice 2 catch up &amp; also 2 mt some new faces -- so much easier now I can put a face 2 e nick
wink.gif

<font color="ff6000">Audrey:</font> Kan email me e grp pics pls? TIA!

<font color="aa00aa">New Apr Mommies:</font> Spotted quite a few new nicks. 'allo 2 e new additions 2 our Apr Moms Family!
biggrin.gif

<font color="0077aa">Ow Mummy:</font> Sooo sori! I got u mixed up w Baby Mummy datz why gave &amp; charged u accordingly 4 e Mickey kidz face masks. Think lack of rest making me more blur dan my usual post-patum self...
kao_sticktongue.gif

<font color="0000ff">Baby Mummy:</font> Somehow I blur-blur brought 10pcs xtra so was able 2 pass 2 Audrey 4 u
kao_happy.gif

<font color="ff6000">B2 &amp; Rice Cereals:</font> B2's enjoying Bellamy's Rice Cereal veri much. E adv of introducing him 2 solids @ 6M is he's so willing 2 open his mouth WIDE
wink.gif
. &amp; I discovered another adv of having two kidz -- B1 wl finish watever cereal B2 doesn't
biggrin.gif
Bt dat was coz I was initially making like 40ml BM w 5tbsp rice cereal. Now I reduce 2 20ml BM w 3tbsp rice cereal 2 get e thick consistency. Giving him two meals a day bt I gotta pump every other day now coz used up my small store of EBM. Itz challenging coz I feed on dd so breasts nvr dat full bt once I start pumping, stl can get abt 240ml fr one side 2 tide ovr 4 next few days.

<font color="119911">$3.90 Flashcards:</font> JTS - I bought two packs last wk fr Elm Tree Distributor's bk table @ Mt A. $3.90/pk (M'sian brand). Size: abt same as Scientific Calculator. Has around 15-20 cards in each box. Many titles. I purhcased >$80 dat day so was given a VIP card 4 10% discount (effectively immediately).

They hv outlets @ Paragon, Suntec &amp; I think Tampines (one of e malls there). They hv various types of flashcards packs - big &amp; small. W words on same side as pics or like e one I bought (see below) whc r pics on one side &amp; words on e other. I read somewhere diz r better coz dan we know our kidz reali recognising word or pic -- VS hving both word &amp; pic on same side. Bt 2 each their own preference
happy.gif

3161920.jpg
3161921.jpg

<font color="ff0000">Pls Note:</font> dat Eunice purhcased alphabet flashcards so those hv different layouts compared 2 e above 'First Words' flashcards I bought.

<font color="aa00aa">Eunice:</font> U got urs fr Twinkle Thinkers. I went there few wks back. I like e range of toys &amp; bks they carry. Prices nt ex either. Am now eyeing one of e wooden dollhouses (think MIChina) they hv - thinking of getting 4 B1 diz Christmas. Cheaper dan e European ones @ The Better Toy Store (er, nt sure if I got e name rite)
biggrin.gif

<font color="0000ff">More abt Flashcards:</font> Popular carries a wide range 2 -- bt chk e bigger outlets so u hv more 2 compare &amp; reference w.

Morning mummies...it has been a crasy week...Day time in school for lesson &amp; finish the 101 things, afternoon go for O level inviigilation until 5~6pm....

Hi Mousy pig, my schedule:

7am latch on
10am 140-150ml
12pm 1 jar fruit/veggie puree about 70g
3pm 140-150ml
5pm cereal mixed with 40-60ml milk
7-8pm 100-150ml
9-10pm latch on
sometimes latch on in the middle of the night

I feel that milk intake in dropping as solids meals are more established.

kids, you can get 240ml from one side! that's very good supply
happy.gif

Now my mum/husband will eat up baby leftovers (only bm and bm mixed cereal coz I can't bear to throw away), next time baby will be "punished" by finishing his younger sibling's leftovers, haha!

Do you know if it's ok to start oats at 6 mth+? Coz I read that there are some concerns with brown rice. I bought Bellamy's porridge which is oat-based, wonder if I should start now.

<font face="trebuchet MS"> Hi mousy pig, my boy schedule:-
5-6am latch on
7.30am puree 140ml
9.30am ebm 150ml
12pm puree+bellamy rice
3pm fm 150ml
5pm chor bee gor/ puree
8pm latch on
11pm latch on
2am latch on

he's still on small size, @ 25percentile... sigh... and mine is the oldest here hor... mar 09 one...</font>

Hi Mousy Pig, my schedule:

5+am latch on
10+am 1 cereal feed with some bb veg puree + ebm
1+pm latch on
5+pm apple cereal with ebm and juice
9+pm latch on

I would try to provide 1 serving of veg and 1 serving of fruits per day.

There are some snacks in between the feeding sessions and some short occasional latch ons to lure her to sleep.

Kidzkidz: The flash cards you bought seems pretty interesting. I might want to check it out. I bought those words kind of flashcards sometime back. (Glenn Doman style) Both chinese and english words. Was very disciplined initially with the image stimulation cards. Now getting lazier. Cos most days she is not at home. Will try to work on the flashcards again. Will prob get the picture ones next time too.

Btw, for the NUK teats, mine were the yellow ones, will prob get the white ones next time. But I am trying her on spouts now and soon wana get those with straws. I think for new teats will get some for B2 next time.

Joie: Yup, understand lifespan of teats are 3 months only. But my NUK teats lasted only 1 or 2 months then it turned slimy or out of shape. Have replaced my avent teats liaoz, cos some of them have turned yellow too...

Any one tried those training cups with straw yet? I thinking of getting 1 to try. Wana wean my dd of the bottles soon. And hopefully the breast as well...

Hi Cocobnz,

the book is good as a general guidance. of coz you have to vary yours according to yr baby's schedule but plus minus its there.

In fact, i think u can start introducing oats from 6mths..but i dont intend to do it untill he has tried most of his normal fruits and vege and brown rice.

In fact right now, this is my schdule:

7am: latch on

7-8am: i feed him about 2-3oz of fruit/vege puree ( i intend to switch to yogurt/oat with fruits in 2mths time)

9.30am: latch on

12pm: 2oz root vege i.e sweet potato or avocado and 30ml bb or 2 ozfruit puree

2pm: latch on

5.30pm: 3tsp cereal and 2oz fruit puree

Hi audrey,

i believe u shd get the money after 3pm today. for interbank transfer, it takes about 3working days, i check with the bank. SOrry for the delay.
Do u have UOB account? next time, if need be, i can transfer to your UOB account instead.
happy.gif

7-8pm: latch on

10pm: latch on (if he wakes up)

Eviangal,

I have tried the training cup, pigeon brand mag mag..
but i bot the one using spout...i dont think they can use straw yet...intend to buy for him in a few mths time..
happy.gif

<font face="trebuchet ms"> my sil passed the chor bee gor to me... need to get medical hall to grind the brown rice and some "bu" chinese herbs... my sil put barely in too as cooling effect... not so heaty yah... saw from ntuc too... brand: moon rabbit... http://www.fairprice.com.sg/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10051&amp;storeId=90001&amp;categoryId=13956&amp;langId=-1&amp;parent_category_rn=13956&amp;top_category=13956&amp;top=&amp;currentPage=1&amp;pageView=image

have not try this out... so cant comment...or you can check out from the reputable medical hall one...me dont add milk to the chor bee gor... me get MIL to direct feed my boy. my sil add FM to the chor bee gor and put in milk bottle to let my nephew drink... then gotta cut the teat to suit the flow... </font>

JTS: I bought the butternut squash yday n it tasted horrible!!!! it smelt really nice when steaming but the taste was not v nice. i tot it wld be a bit sweetish but it was plain but it left a v yucks aftertaste (which i dunno how to describe. abit sourish??) i just wanna ask issit cos the one i bought wasnt ripe enuf? (but it was nice orange inside) or cos its just like tt?

i kinda ran out of vegg to give already...anyone gave peas yet? frozen one can rite? i find tt all the "suitable" vegg r like all orange!!!!

hi everyone, wow, looks like most of u do not follow up with milk after the solid feed yah? Yesterday isaac ate 1 whole avocado for the afternoon food..and he kept opening his mouth for more, guess he really likes it:p

Is there a min amt of milk we shld give them after starting on semisolids?

Eunice,

try the organic pumpkin..u can get it from coldstorage...u peel the skin and steam it then blend it with a bit of water until u reach very smooth consistency...i freeze them and thaw it for my bb whenenever i want to feed him. Its nice....

I have not given him peas also...what about green beans? i have not even started on carrots...i am giving him this fri...i have given him mostly frutis now..
happy.gif
next will be vege...meat would be the last..will start introducing around 8 mths..

KP,
if you read the GIna ford's book, it says that baby still needs min of 600ml of milk everyday...

edj
thanks. how do we know whether its ripe enuf?? carrot was her FIRST food. she loves it!!! but im afraid of giving too much carrots, scared turn orange haha.

moo mum
wow tts a lot of milk!! my girl only takes 24 oz without solids. now shes only taking 15-20 oz with solids. i guess every baby is different??

yeah I am giving my boy solid once a day and he is taking about 30 ounces milk waking once at 4am, crying for milk.

wonder if I introduce another solid will solve the problem of him waking up at night.

mousy_pig, i also give my boy solid once a day (1tbsp cereal) and he also wakes up once or twice midnight.

how much solid you feeding your boy?

Back