Life after Ectopic Pregnancy

H23raz

Hi I just wanted to come on here and share my experience because it was what I needed when I was going through everything. I am 23 years old and prior to this, I've never gotten pregnant before. We opted for copper IUD as we wanted to only try for children after graduating from uni.

It all started when my period was late. My period was never late after copper iucd and so it was weird. But I had also lost some weight and it was fasting month so I thought maybe my body was in imbalance. I also felt like I needed to pee a lot more and usually my breast pain was just like tender... But this time it was like a throbbing ache.

However I started spotting 10 days after the time my period was supposed to come. This spotting lasted for days and I decided to take a pregnancy test just in case. There was a faint second line. I was very shocked and I honestly didn't think much of it. I thought it could be a false positive.

Went to my obgyn and the confirmed with another UPT but nothing showed up on the scan. They removed my iucd which was in the right place. Obgyn thought it was just too early to see. Order blood tests.

Day after I went to see him, had heavy bleeding. I miscarried. He continued to order for hcg blood tests. Went down over 2 tests from 500+ to 200+.. a week later, it shot up to 1500. But nothing on the scan. Took hcg test again.

I started having gas pains. I had it once before, but it disappeared after I had a bowel movement. But this time it was rly bad...Like shooting pain from my anus... Idk how to explain. And I thought it was constipation. But that night I woke up with intense pain on my left side. So my husband and I went to KKH ER.

After hours of waiting for a result and 2 scans later, they found the ectopic pregnancy on my left side. Hcg was at 1600. Growth was 4cm. I opted for surgery, because I didn't want to risk with the medical route especially since my doctor's were not so keen that it would work. Plus I'm young.... And medical route would mean even higher chance of ectopic pregnancy according to the ER doctor. Anyway, the surgery was done on the day itself. under G.A. laproscopy. They removed my left fallopian tube. Thankfully no complications and haven't burst yet. I woke up night of, STARVING. Ate, slept really early cos if the G.A. I was discharged the next day.

It's been 3 weeks since operation.
I was able to walk day after operation, had a bowel movement 2 days after operation and felt almost no pain after 5-7 days post operation. I ate paracetamol 3 times a day for first 4-5 days?, 2 times a day for another 2 days and once a day till 2 weeks post op. I slept on my back until day 6/7 couldn't sleep on my side comfortably at all which bugged me!!! Had gas pain and all. Can elaborate if interested!!!

However there is now pain at surgery site and my breast have been tender for a few days so I'm assuming my period is coming??

Just wanted to share my experience and update about life after an ectopic. Hope others can share their experience too! God knows, I was searching for forums like my life depended on it when I was in pain in the ER haha.

Last edited:
Hi I just wanted to come on here and share my experience because it was what I needed when I was going through everything. I am 23 years old and prior to this, I've never gotten pregnant before. We opted for copper IUD as we wanted to only try for children after graduating from uni.

It all started when my period was late. My period was never late after copper iucd and so it was weird. But I had also lost some weight and it was fasting month so I thought maybe my body was in imbalance. I also felt like I needed to pee a lot more and usually my breast pain was just like tender... But this time it was like a throbbing ache.

However I started spotting 10 days after the time my period was supposed to come. This spotting lasted for days and I decided to take a pregnancy test just in case. There was a faint second line. I was very shocked and I honestly didn't think much of it. I thought it could be a false positive.

Went to my obgyn and the confirmed with another UPT but nothing showed up on the scan. They removed my iucd which was in the right place. Obgyn thought it was just too early to see. Order blood tests.

Day after I went to see him, had heavy bleeding. I miscarried. He continued to order for hcg blood tests. Went down over 2 tests from 500+ to 200+.. a week later, it shot up to 1500. But nothing on the scan. Took hcg test again.

I started having gas pains. I had it once before, but it disappeared after I had a bowel movement. But this time it was rly bad...Like shooting pain from my anus... Idk how to explain. And I thought it was constipation. But that night I woke up with intense pain on my left side. So my husband and I went to KKH ER.

After hours of waiting for a result and 2 scans later, they found the ectopic pregnancy on my left side. Hcg was at 1600. Growth was 4cm. I opted for surgery, because I didn't want to risk with the medical route especially since my doctor's were not so keen that it would work. Plus I'm young.... And medical route would mean even higher chance of ectopic pregnancy according to the ER doctor. Anyway, the surgery was done on the day itself. under G.A. laproscopy. They removed my left fallopian tube. Thankfully no complications and haven't burst yet. I woke up night of, STARVING. Ate, slept really early cos if the G.A. I was discharged the next day.

It's been 3 weeks since operation.
I was able to walk day after operation, had a bowel movement 2 days after operation and felt almost no pain after 5-7 days post operation. I ate paracetamol 3 times a day for first 4-5 days?, 2 times a day for another 2 days and once a day till 2 weeks post op. I slept on my back until day 6/7 couldn't sleep on my side comfortably at all which bugged me!!! Had gas pain and all. Can elaborate if interested!!!

However there is now pain at surgery site and my breast have been tender for a few days so I'm assuming my period is coming??

Just wanted to share my experience and update about life after an ectopic. Hope others can share their experience too! God knows, I was searching for forums like my life depended on it when I was in pain in the ER haha.
May I know when your menses come after the surgery?

Hi ladies, I'm looking for recommendations of doctor that "save" the fallopian tube while removing a tubal pregnancy.

I was diagnosed with ectopic pregnancy in the left fallopian tube 3 days ago. While I'm still clinically well today at 7w4d but my doctor suggest me not to wait anymore. He recommends to remove the entire fallopian tube rather than removing the pregnancy alone and repairing the tube. He said this is a more common practice for the safety of mother to avoid future ectopic.

I have been trying to conceive for 2 years. Had ultrasound to track ovulation for many months -- i always ovulate from the left side (not alternate!) So I really hope to save this tube. As he doesn't recommend patients to keep the tube of a tubal pregnancy, I doubt if he is experienced in repairing the tube.

If your tube has been saved, don't mind share the name of your doctor? Really appreciate. Thanks!!!

Back