Perth Holiday - Any Suggestions/Advice/Tips?

hi seagal

We used Red Spot during our trip in June. It's zero excess and they are flexible. No extra charges for returning the car at the airport. We are very happy with them. Their website is http://www.redspotrentals.com.au/v2/.

My sister who is an icecream lover prefers Oggies @ Swan Lake to the Simmos. haha.. for me, not an ice-cream lover, I can't tell the difference though.
happy.gif

Hi All

I'm back from Perth !

Albany is a nice place to retire ! Tranquil ! mmmm...

Some things to recommend you guyz :-

Berry Farm at Margaret River for wine and food. Tried the Platter for 2 really big portion. Enough for 2 Adults and a child ! Cost - A$40

Spagetti Bowl at Margaret River Town. Open from 6pm onwards... Nice food... yummy....

Other than food, the usuals are lookout, lighthouse, beaches and caves...

Farms - Pentland Alpaca Farm is recommended. A lot of animals to feed but there is an admission charge of erm... A$10 ? cant rem... Food for animals are provided.

Sunflowers Animal Farm rank No. 2 for me. Admission is with a fee and a bucket of food for animals cost A$3.

Hope you guyz enjoy your coming trip ya !

Hi Mezzo

By the time we reached Albany is already about 4pm and we went to the beach and Mount Adelaide to watch sunset so by the time we move back down the eateries are mostly closed.

So we went to IGA (supermart) which closed at 9pm and bot things to cook for dinner and next day breakfast.

We stayed at Dolphin Lodge which is fully self-contained with all the pots n pans n utensils !

Oh ya guyz !
there's a korean restaurant tat u really must try at Perth City ! Many asians go there. Even the locals go there too. Nice n cosy. Food is superb but do not expect super big ang mo portion. The portion is really catered for asian. Do go there if u crave for pipping hot soup with rice. hahaha we went there after on our last day of the trip when everybody is tired of ang mo food :p

I'll get the name when I get home tonite n let u guys know.

Chaye,
you took the midnite flight to perth? Am gng to take the morning flight so expect to reach Albany pretty late also at 8 to 9pm.

welcome back chaye!

looking forward to my trip tomorrow. =)

sunnyling,
good choice. losari is nice! and recommended by tripadvisor.com as well. Had wanted to book with them but too bad no available rooms.

Seagal,

Yap I read the recommended and I hope to get something with Kitchen so I will have choice of whether to cook for boy anot. As he is a very fussy eater so I can cook porriage to bring out for him if he dun want to eat any outside food. And I also dun feel good to feed him all outside food for the days, not healthy.

You trying to book the beach studio or the spa villa?

Hi Mezzo

I took the morning flight to perth and arrived 2.30pm.

Sunnyling
Wow saw the webby, the apt at Losari is v v v nice leh ! Y didnt know of this in the first place ? :p

Seagal
Hope you enjoy your trip there !

Chaye,

Yap it look nice from the web but actually this is not my first choice initially I want to book Hilltop Studio http://www.hilltopstudios.com.au/index.htm and they have this promotion midweek free 1 night with 2 night stay so the price work out to be about the same. But because I dily daly and reply them few days later the room I want was being taken up but my frd highly recommend this studio as it have very nice view. The reason for me to thk longer before book was because my frd told me they do not have any Salite so no TV program the only channel they have are ABC and GWN so you can only watch DVD. My hb need TV to make him sleep tat was the reason I was replying late to the studio. So anyone going to MR can consider this Studio.

thanks Chaye!

sunnyling,
can't recall....emailed them a month back but fully booked.

i love hilltop studios too! very contemporary. think there are several really nice apartments at MR.

Hi gals,

We are back from Aussieland. =D

Had a great time there & will definitely go back again!!

Accommodation,
Would highly recommend these 3 places we stayed at:

a) Cape Howe Cottages (between Albany and Denmark)
Our thumbs-up winner! Stayed at the Snug which is a 2 bedroom beautiful country-style cottage with full gourmet kitchen. Their homemade curries are a must try. Super cosy. We loved it so much that we stayed for 1 more night.
We could also plant a tree at their premise but pity we had to give this a miss as there wasn't enough time. They have a huge natural compound for exploring as well but we ran short of time to do that. We will sure go back there again. Very friendly and unassuming owners.
They have won numerous tourism and business awards as well.
www.capehowe.com.au

b) Pump Hill Farm Cottages (Pemberton)
Simple cottage nested within a farm. Must go for the morning hay ride to feed farm animals and collect warm eggs from hens shed. Their friendly ducks roamed freely around the cottages and my gal loved chasing them. Lots of beautiful singing birds too.
www.pumphill.com.au

c) Vintages Motel (Margaret River)
This was recommended by some mummies here. Very clean with tasteful designer-style decor comparable to a 5-star hotel imo. Very near town and good base for doing some shopping. There are some very lovely shops in the town centre.
http://www.vintagesmargaretriver.com.au/

Food,
We did our own cooking most days but these are some good places which we ate at:

Pemberton - Lavender & Berry Farm
Margaret River - Cape Lavender, Spaghetti Bowl
Fremantle - Tried both Cicerellos & Kailis. Each has its own merits so can't really decide which one is better. Cicerellos has a big fish tank - good for the kids.
Walpole - Bow Bridge Cafe (nice scones!)
Perth City - Hong Kong BBQ place in NorthBridge (good fried rice, sweet sour pork & char siew...maybe becos we were deprived of chinese food, haha)

There's also a cheap & good Jap cafe called Taka in Perth City just at the top end of Barrack Street. A lot of locals go there too.

For souvenirs, can go to this stall in E-shed markets run by a Singaporean couple. Their prices are very reasonable and they are real nice folks. Recommended us to eat at Taka, buy strawberries from this wholesale place north of Perth (AUD8 to AUD12 per kg depending on the size and guaranteed sweet!). They are opening a shop in Perth City's Hay Street this Friday.

I've also fell in love with the Olive Oil Soap Factory in Margaret River. Their room diffuser oils are lovely. The owner Louis was also very nice to customise bath gel & hand lotion travel packs for me to bring back to SG. He told me that they also supply wholesale to Raffles Hotel here. They have an online shop too so can order via internet to stock up on supplies.
http://www.oliveoilsoapfactory.com.au/

That's about all I can think of for now... gotta go do my unpacking and sort out my photos.

Let me know if anyone of you need more info & I will be glad to assist. =D

Hi Seagal,

How was your gal coping with the midnight flight? I am worry about my boy for the midnight flight, not sure will he be cranky as timing is odd.

Sunnyling,

My gal was quite excited so didn't really sleep during the flight. She only slept at most 2 hours. Wanted to let her rest a bit when we reached Perth hotel but we couldn't get an early check-in unfortunately. In the end, she only took short naps in the car, haha.....

Perhaps you can try letting your boy sleep as much as he can during the daytime before the flight just so that he will be less cranky if he doesn't get enough sleep at night.

seagal
wei! u din call me! tot we supposed to meet up.

I also booked Vintage Motel at MR for my long 2 week xmas break

oh seagal
yea Taka has cheap food! kekeee.....
for fish and chips, whether it is cicerelloes or kaillis, is all the same man!
sweet lips a bit diff cos is beer battered fish.

i know which couple in eshed u talking abt. we go there very often ..... is the wholesale strawberry place in swan valley?

mngo,
ya lor, so sorry. we were really in a rush so didn't get the chance to call you.

Simon is a nice guy isn't he? You can pop by to say hi to him at their new shop on 530 Hay Street just right opposite King's Hotel. ;) The strawberry wholesale place is along the top end of Alexander Drive (after Hepburn Ave and before Gnangara Drive (Road?) if you are travelling from Perth City direction. It's called Berry King i think.

Oh! Cos the strawberry farm at swan sells one huge carton at 10 dollars only.
i'll drive down to Alexander to see.

Yea Simon is chatty. That time i brought my dad there, and the two men were chatting non stop.

Seagal

Hepburn Avenue is an arterial east-west road in Perth, Australia. It is located within the northern suburbs of Perth, from Sorrento in the west, to Alexander Heights in the east. Hepburn Avenue begins in a roundabout intersection, joining with West Coast Drive, Whitfords Avenue and Hillarys Boat Harbour carpark, and ends at a traffic light controlled intersection with Alexander Drive. Hepburn Avenue provides direct access to Kingsway Shopping Centre in Madeley and St Stephen's School in Duncraig, as well as the Greenwood railway station, which was constructed at the Mitchell Freeway intersection in late 2004. Hepburn Avenue is a dual carriageway west of Wanneroo Road and a two-way road east of Wanneroo Road. State Route 82 starts at the roundabout where Hepburn Avenue begins, but only extends eastwards to Wanneroo Road.

** would have expected tat area, cos that's where Simon and family lives. they live at Sorrento / Hillarys

hi mummies, i am going Perth with my 15 mths son in dec.. just wondering if there are any fruit orchards worth visiting?

Cheepozz
You may try fruit orchards at these places
1) Bindoon - Apricot Acres Orchard
2) Swan Valley - Small Grapes will sprout, and there are quite a number of orchard there with strawberry farm
3) Chittering valley - near Bindoon
4) Waranaroo - heard or read there's also strawberry farms there.

Food
1) Rio Regal (next to Lok Fok) at Northbridge, facing the train track has the best roast duck in whole of WA. Price is a bit high, like Singapore's Tung Luk. The food is like Tung Luk too.

2) Sparrow indonesian Food, along William Street at North bridge offers the cheapest indonesian home cooked food.
Nice quality one , expensive one is at Myaree

3) Cheapest Chicken Rice is called Chilliz at Karawara (Waterford Plaza) and Nedlands. Offering at $4, you can fill yourself really full

4) Asian food court can be found at Thornlie. It's called Spencor Village. You can find Singapore, Malaysian , Thai, Inconesian, Korean, Japanese food there. They have nice Soya Bean Drink too

5) Heard tat Utophia has nice Bubble Tea. Worth to try one is called Summer Love Jelly. Something like tat.

6) The authentic Korean Food and Nasi Padang shop can be found at Pier Street

7) La Porchetta has quite good Marianara Pasta (seafood). It's at Fremantle cuppaccino strip

8) Unless you have time for Japanese buffet, then you can try Shimizu @ Floreat.

9) If you crave for Assam Fish Head Curry, then head to Parry Avenue for the Malaysian Chin Chin Restaurant

thank Mngo.. will check out those orchards and great deals..
any idea if King George Street, Victoria Park is a convenient place ? i have rented an apartment there for my 1 week trip in Dec..

Victoria Park?!
That's a suburb, near to Burswood.

And there are quite a few good restaurants in Vic Park.

Convenient or not... oh well , i would say tat normally tourist wont stay there. they will stay in city

Hello Mummies,

We are thinking to bring our 15mth old boy to Perth ... maybe Nov or Dec ... no concrete plan yet ... it would be free and easy style. However, both of us do not know how to drive ... I am wondering if the public transport is easy accessible and baby friendly or not.

From this thread, seem like Albany is a nice place to go. May I know how to get there?

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Littleoink

hi,

when i go to perth 7 yr ago with my daughter 4yr old. it was in jul winter. we actually join their local tour there. u can check out when u are there. but the travelling time to most of the place of interest take few hrs. the long wan we had was 6hr to reach and 6hr to come back. wow really very far leh.

littleoink
albany is many many hours away from perth.
If might need to take a 2 day tour to go there. Abt 6 hours drive.

If you do not know how to drive, you need to stay in city or a place where it's got train station. public transport is child friendly. BUT some buses only comes once in an hour. You have to catch the bus timing.

Also, taxis are really expensive. If you want to go up to King's Park, i dunno how if you dont have a car. Maybe you can take perth tram - but expensive.

littleoink

Indeed Albany is very nice place. But like mngo said, it is quite a distance from Perth. We drove and it took us 6hr+ with some stopovers.

In Perth city, there are free transport called CATS buses. You may like do some googling for more information. Taxis are really very expensive..

Enjoy your trip!

Dear All,

I am back from Perth, enjoy my trip very much.

Both accomodation I stay in Busselton and MR is also very good.

Food wise we cooked most of the meal so cant recommend.

Hi all,

Now more free to update my trip.

Busselton Jetty - Very nice view, my son enjoy the beach very much.

Accomodation - Blue Bay Apartment - Very clean and price very reasonable (A$95/night) with full Kitchen facilities and BBQ facilities. We have BBQ food for our dinner that night. Highly recommended.

Try to upload some pictures of the apartment later.

Margaret River - My son enjoy the Yallingup Shearing Shed and Sunflower animal farm very much. Miss the cave as we miscalculate the timing on the road.
Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse - Nice view but was raining that day and my son is under 4 years old so is not allow to go up the lighthouse. We also reach very late that day and they are closing so just stay ard 20 mins only.
Voyager Estate - Wanted to have lunch there but fully booked so disappointed so just walk ard and buy wine
Cape Lavender - was raining quite heavy so we just stay ard 10 minutes.
Margaret River Chocolate Factory - The chocolate is yummy and free tasting!!!!

Accomodation - Losari Beach Studio
Quite expensive but full kitchen facilities (include oil, salt, pepper and washing detergent). Open concept so my hubby dun really like as he cant watch Televsion when I trying to make my son sleep. But is good they have washing machine and dryer (with washing detergent but I bring my own)so I can wash all my cloth before I go back Perth. They also have BBQ facilities but dun look clean to us so we did not use their BBQ facility. The aparment in Busselton provide more which include aluminium foil etc and much cheaper. It is also a distance drive to town which is not that convenience.

I try to load some pictures of the apartment later.

Bunbury Dolphine Discover Centre - We waited for 2 hrs+ but nv manage to see any dolphine. Maybe because it was raining so the sea was very rocky. We reach ard 11+ and the staff there say the dolphine was there ard 10am. But I manage to see the dolphine at my SIL house in Perth haha.

Think that about all.

Below is the pictures for Blue Bay Apartment :-

Apartment Front View -
1866483.jpg

Apartment Living Area -
1866484.jpg

Apartment Bedroom -
1866485.jpg

Apartment BBQ -
1866486.jpg

Kitchen Area got my face so cant post hahaha.

Losari Beach Studio

Losari Front -
1866547.jpg

Losari Kitchen -
1866548.jpg

Losari Bedroom -
1866549.jpg

Losari Additional Bedroom -
1866550.jpg

Losari Toilet -
1866551.jpg

Losari Toilet 1 -
1866552.jpg

hi sunnyling
is Blue Bay Apartment near city area? how do u book their apt? any website?
wat is incl in their full Kitchen facilities?
the apt u stayed is 4 how many person?
is it near CATS bus station?
is it near supermkt?

Hi Foreverfriends,

I write email to the apartment for the booking. (website: http://www.bluebayapartments.com/home/facilities) Blue Bay is very near to city, jetty and the Supermarket. Jetty and supermarket is within walking distance but as we have car so we drive around everywhere. For the CATS bus station, I am not sure where is location so cant advise you.

The apartment I stay is 1 bedroom, should be able to accomodate 2-3 pax as there is 1 queen size bed and 1 single bed (the single bed is below the queen size bed).

All pots, knief, spoon, fork, gas, oil, salt pepper etch are provided in their kitchen not sure what you look for but is with full kitchen facilities.

Hi All,

We are going to Perth for 5 days in Feb 09. We are thinking of going to Swan Valley and maybe Fremantle as I am going for only a few days.

Any comments on the following place:

(1) Caversham Wildlife Park
(2) Swan Valley Cuddly Animal Farm http://www.cuddlyanimalfarm.com/home.htm
(3) I think we might want to stay at The Vale Bed and Breakfast since it will allow us to go to the Farm Free.
(4) Maze Sequoia Park

Thanks!

Hi Sunnyling
Is Bluebay apt near Perth City?

Hi Brownie
I will b going to Perth for abt 5 days in late Apr. Oso thot of visiting Perth n Swan Valley
Hv in mind to visit
King's Park
Habor Town Shopping centre
Fermantle
Caversham Wildlife Park
MR choc factor
Oggies Ice Cream Cafe
may b an Orchard to pick fruits??
not sure abt farm stay
Can share your iternery?
Hv u book air ticket n accomodation?

Any1 stayed in the following apt b4?
City Waters
City Stay Apt hotels
Mountway Holiday apt

How many day is enff for visit to Swan Valley?
Is it advisable to stay in Perth then visit Swan Valley or stay in Swan Valley?

Hi Foreverfriends Honey,

I have booked my air tickets. But have not booked my car and hotel/farmstay. I am planning to do more research now. Only thinking of Freemantle/Swan Valley and if have time will go Kings Park. I will share with u once I have a more confirm plan.

Hi Brownie
Which airline will u b taking?
I look at the link u provided for The Vale Bed and Breakfast Looks gd but no cooking allowed
sad.gif

Sunnyling
Oh Busselton is far fm Perth City. I intend to visit in Perth City n Swan Valley only Any recommendation for accomodation? Did u visit Swan Valley?

Hi Foreverfriends,

We are taking jetstar.

Ya no cooking is allowed. BBQ is available on site.

I think we will either go to the supermarket and get some marinated stuff and BBQ or we will get ready food from supermarket like roast chicken etc and eat.

How old is your kid? My son is 4, he is quite okie with whatever we eat.

Hi Brownie
Hmmm.... gd idea to get ready food from supermarket like roast chicken etc and eat. How many ppl r going wif u?

Wonder if they provide skewers for BBQ

How many day do u intend to stay at The Vale Bed and Breakfast ?

My elder boi is 4. Is your son borned in 2004?

Hi Sunnyling
Thx for your reply

I m planning to visit Perth in late Apr wif my hubby 4 yr old boi n 1 yr old infant. My hubby is not keen to drive. Could anyone suggest where I can visit n do

Hi all

I'm planning a family trip to Perth in Mar 09 for about 10 Days. Intend to self drive from Perth City to Albany.

Can anyone pls share your detailed itinerary and accomodation. Am rather clueless and lost at this point. Would be most appreciative!

Back