Perth Holiday - Any Suggestions/Advice/Tips?

Xuan
for the itinery, u can scroll to the top or read the archives as me n sum mummies had posted before

the van tat i refer to is a mini-van not the huge one...anyway as if u r driving in other countries n not familiar with surroundings...dun try to speed ..cos there's not many pply driving at the country side n u can drive at ur own oace..dun rush..if tired go for a short break...or stop for a short bbq at their park...

hiring a driver is a NO NO..vely Xpensive

Hi

I am going to Perth in Oct with 6 adults and 4 toddlers and a 7mth baby. Have anyone rented a 12 seaters mini bus or van ? As i notice that the car rental company will charge according to the distance travelled, which will be very expensive.

Does the apartment provide Baby cot ? I am afraid that my Baby will roll down the bed in the night?
Thks

Xuan
if you do want to travel in a group, maybe u wanna take in land package tours.
On other times, u can take tram , bus, mrt which is pretty convenient. I am living in Perth, just let me know how i could help you.

xuan - for the young , u may wanan visit the cavasham wildlife park.
The AQWA at sorrento - u may give it a miss. it is like our sentosa underwater world.
U may do farmstay. Not sure if adventure park will be open by then.

For the old - u may go to swan valley , there are vineyards , wine tasting, nougart factory, choco factory and strawberry farm.
If right season, u could get a huge carton of strawberries for $10

Station Street Market , Fremantle Markets are also suitable for the old.

Hi mngo

Thanks so much for your advise. My Perth plan has been shifted to next year. Will be heading to Taiwan this Oct instead.

But the info is still useful for my next yr trip.
happy.gif

Btw, wat's there in Albany? I see that many F&E travellers will drive to Albany.
For a 6-7 days trip, is it enuff if I just cover Perth central, Fremantle, Swan Valley and MR.

Mngo
**wave**

xuan
Albany is more countryside...
Perth is city like..6-7 days trips is more than enuff enuff if u just cover Perth central, Fremantle, Swan Valley..the distance to travel for these places r quite near....wats MR??

Hi all,

Planning to Perth again this Oct, will be travelling to MR which I miss the last trip. Hope to get some information:-
Day 1
Travel from Perth to Bunbury - Dolphine Discover Centre (Can I still catch to see the Dolphine, understand that need to catch them before 12pm)

From Bunbury to Busselton - Stay a night at Busselton
- Can recommend accomodation and what to visit beside the Jetty

Day 2

Travel from Busselton to MR (Stay 2 nights)
- Have shortlisted Vintage and Quest Margaret river - Which is better and more convienence and most of all best for my boy at around 3 yrs

- Reach MR around noon - Visit Lighthouse, Margaret Chocolate Factory, Cape Lavender and what other to recommend?

Day 3
Sunflower Farm (1/2 day)
What other places can I visit

Day 4
Travel back to Perth

Actually am thinking do I need 2 nights or just 1 night stay at MR. Any recommendation? If there are nothing much to do maybe I can squeeze all into 1 night stay.

Errr, no one going to perth recently??

I have shortlisted the hotel at Busselton
http://www.mercure.com/mercure/fichehotel/gb/mer/6756/fiche_hotel.shtml
Anybody stay and have comments?

For MR

Looking at the Quest Margaret River
http://www.margaretriver.property.questwa.com.au/
- They quote me the studio apartment, not sure is big enough for me, hb and my boy (2 years+), anybody stay at their studio apartment before?

This farm stay look good too, anybody stay there before
http://www.margaretriverhideaway.com/?p=location
Any smell? as I thk farm stay normally have smell.

Both rate almost the same for Quest and Farmstay, cant decide on which to book

Hi sunnyling,

I'm going to Perth in Nov again. This time, I will be travelling to Albany, Denmark, Walpole, Pemberton and other parts of south west areas.

FYI, beside the Busselton Jetty, there is nothing to see in Busselton as it is a very small town.

Have not stay in MR before, so I can't advise you much.

hi dophina,

I going end of october till early november for 2 weeks.

My friends was telling me that Busselton was a very nice and relaxing town. I was thking of staying a night there instead of rush all the way to MR. Don't want to tired my boy out.

Hi mummies,

Sunnyling/Dolphina - how's your trip preparation coming along?

I'm going Perth F&E with hubby and 3.5YO gal in mid Sep 08.

Have been searching and googling intensively for the past weeks and have finally got down to my itinerary...phew....:

Day 1 & 2 - Arrival in Perth at 6am plus. Stay for 2 nights. Visit Caversham Wildlife Park, Swan Valley for Nougat and Oggies Ice Cream & Fremantle weekend markets.

Day 3 & 4 - Head South to Albany. Stay for 2 nights. Visit the natural bridge, gap, Tree Top Walk, valley of the giants, Wind Farm, etc.

Day 5 & 6 - Head to Pemberton. Stay for 2 nights. Visit Karri region, Gloucester Tree. What else is there to do here?

Day 7, 8 & 9 - Head to Margaret River. Stay for 3 nights. Visit wineries, Choc and Cheese Factory, Leeuwin Lighthouse, Cape Lavender, etc.

Day 10 - Head back to Perth with stopovers at Busselton & Mandurah. Shopping at Harbourtown & Carousel.

Day 11 - Some shopping around Perth City @ HarbourCity, Carousel, etc before heading back to SG.

Accommodation is a killer....have only booked our stay at MR and not the rest. Some good ones are all taken up and I am also trying not to spend more than AUD150 per night per room.

Now waiting for confirmation for the lodging places I have emailed for Albany, Pemberton & Perth City.

Hi Seagal,

Envy that you are going to Perth for 11 days.

I agree accommodation is a killer and my budget per night per room is also not more than AUD150 for 3 adults and 1 child. Managed to confirm all my accomodations and car rental already.

Now, I'm in the midst of listing out all the places of interest that I want to visit and get visa done.

Sunnyling,

Wow, you going for 2 weeks. You can really relax and enjoy yourself there. I will be going Perth from 08/11/08 to 15/11/08. What about you?

This time, I will be having 2 nights stay in a farm at Bridgetown.

Have you list out all the places that you want to visit and also get your visa done?

Dophina,

I am staying at my SIL house in Perth and she will also loan me 1 of her car so accomodation and car rental I can save alot. But me and HB want to drive to MR this time, have been to Karlbarri and Albany/Denmark the last time. I will be there from 24/25th October to 8th Nov. Haha just miss you, maybe can see you at the airport. I have not decide to fly on 24 or 25 as I have use up alot of my leave so thking of fly on 25th can save a half day leave.

I have more or less list out the places I want to visit and now jsut getting my accomodation at Busselton and MR finalize.

Where did you stay the previous time?

Sunnyling,

Previously, I stayed in Alderney On Hay (Perth City) and Geographe Gove Resort (Dunsborough).

This time, I will be staying in Green Leaves A-Frame (Denmark), Glenlynn Cottages (Bridgetown) and Mont Clare Apartment (Perth City).

I'm asking my friend to check if her cousin can help on the visa for FOC also.

hopeac,

Yes, have tried stayz.com but a lot of cheap and good accommodation all fully booked.

Dolphina,
Good that you have arranged all your lodgings...hopefully i can finalise with the hotels I emailed these 2 days. where will you be staying at Albany and Pemberton?

Sunnyling,
MR - can try Vintages. They are quite friendly and heard that place not bad also. I will be staying there. =)

oh yes hopeac,

i am just keen to visit Oggies Ice Cream place and Mondo Nougat Factory at Swan Valley.

Worth going Swan Valley just for these?

Will leave our Choc & Cheese factory visit when we go MR.

Seagal,

I'm not staying in Albany and Pemberton. Will be staying in Denmark (between Walpole and Albany) and Bridgetown (between Manjimup, Nannup and Balingup).

I prefer to stay in the centre as it will be more convenient to travel.

Will you be going to The Pinnacles Dessert at Cervantes?

Hi

Just saw this thread... I'm planning Perth next mth. Is there anything interesting in Albany ?

Where did you guys get the tickets from ? I chk out with agent the taxes are more ex than tix now ! An adult tix to Perth will cost $858 now.

Dolphina,

Nope...We will not be going to Pinnacles Desert.

Chaye,
Hey, maybe we will meet there! I got my tix from SQ direct. Ya...not cheap, paid S$2.1K for 2A & 1C. what to do....

Albany is famous for their blowholes, natural bridge and gap. can also go day trip to wadpole where the tree top walk is.

Dophina,

The villa at Dunsborough is nice but too big for me.

Seagal,

I shortlist Vintage also, havent book anything yet hope to do so soon once confirmed with HB.

I stay here http://www.karrimia.com.au/index.php?page=2 during my Albany trip last year. Nice place, you may like to try but dun eat dinner there very very expensive.

Chaye,

We claim Krisflyer point for the tickets but the taxes is very ex 400+ for adult and 300+ for kid.

I dun have krisflyer to claim leh... 40k pts for 1 pax !

Anyway what's interesting at Albany?

seagal

When will you be there in Perth ? I'm looking at 1-6 Sept
happy.gif

I think I will drop Albany la... like nothing much to do there... MR has more attractions for kiddo !

Hi all,

Hmm...i am also contemplating to bring my boy to Perth in Oct. Saw that 6D package tour is about $1.9k for adult. Is that any cheaper than doing your own tour? Can anyone share how much spent for your trip? Thanks very much!
happy.gif

Sunnyling,
I also claimed Krisflyer point for the airticket.

Chaye,
For Albany, you can visit The Brig Amity, Albany Whale World, Salmon Holes Beach, The Gap & Natural Bridge, The Blowholes, Albany Wind Farm, Dog Rock, Mount Romance Sandalwood Factory, Mount Clarence, Princess Royal Fortress and Middleton Beach.

Then proceed to Denmark, Walpole, Pemberton and other Southwest areas.

Bin,

I like to travel ourself so I can plan the trip accordingly to my boy timing. Cant share with you cos my ticket, accomodation and Car rental mostly is covered.

Dophina,

I try to redeem the ticket today but the timing I want flying up to Perth is all on Waitlist. Cham.....

Hi Dophina
wow so many things to see in Albany ah ? Will do homework tonite
happy.gif

Hi Sunnyling
I have tried redeeming krisflyer before if it's waitlist the chances r v v slim one leh.

Anyway
I have managed to book my tickets today with Qantas. 2 Adults 1 child total $1470 flying on 1 Sept and return 6 Sept. Anybody gg there during this period ?

Chaye,

I am going on the 3rd week of Sep. =)

Wow....your S$1,470 is cheap! Is this inclusive of taxes and fuel surcharges?

The last time I checked Qantas about 2 weeks ago was S$2.3K thereabout.

My SQ tix are S$2.1K for 2A & 1C in total including taxes and fuel surcharge. *bang head*

Seagal
Yes yes it's inclusive of all fuel & taxes...
happy.gif

May I ask what is Perth famous for ? Anyting to buy ? Like u go Tokyo, you buy blue label, you go Europe, you buy LV, you go US u buy Coach ! HAHAHA... I guess Perth nothing much to buy hor :p

sunnyling,

i just checked qantas & SQ direct and the fares are more than S$2K still.

Chaye had a very good deal!

Sunnyling/Seagal

Sorry sorry.. it's a typo !!!! HAHAHAHA ! it's S$2470 la not $1470.... I must have created a big hoo ha.. :p where got so cheap ?! paiseh paiseh

Seagal
u make the right choice not going to pinnacles.
cos u hv a tod with u, not adv to go as well.

since u are gg down to albany, do plan it well.... with kids, u need extra time.

harlo mngo!

Is 2 nights in Albany enough? I hope I'm not being too ambitious!

Worst come to worst, will skip some of the sights there....

seagal
2 nights should be ok. but of cos, depending on what time you arrive there, and what time u intend to leave albany.

journey to busselton, 3 hrs can take as long as 6 hrs (my friend's experience) cos of the kids.

Mngo,

6 hours?

I will be staying over at MR before going Busselton so hopefully won't take that long. =)

Car Rental Companies
Need some advice on car rental cos. here.

Have heard a lot about Budget from this forum but realised that their rates are not as attractive as Bayswater.

Bayswater has excess reduction too but the only thing is they are not situated at Perth airport.

Any mummies here have experience on car rental cos. to share?

Hi

so excited as holiday is approaching... hehe...

Dophina ! the link that you found is really cheaper than Hertz itself wor... Lucky I have not done any booking yet. :p

oh yea
seagal
we took m2000 last time..
we tot it is cheap. the cheapest though.
but again , depends on your needs....

seagal
how r u gg to collect the car if it is not in perth airport?

if u need to take a taxi, prepare a 100AU for a ride.

Hi can anyone advise me how long does it take to travel from Albany to Margaret River huh?

My plan is from Perth to Albany (taking the hi way) then stay one nite at Albany. Next morning travel to Denmark (Pentland stud farm) then to walpole (valley of the giants. After that to Margaret river for a nite. Wonder will it be too late or too dark to drive cos the sun set very early around 5-6pm...

happy.gif

Mngo,
So inconvenient right? I am leaving the task to ah lau to decide. Will check out m2000 again. Thanks!

AUD100 for taxi from Perth Int'l airport to Perth city? thought i read swh that it's only about AUD40 at most?

Chaye,
Albany to Margaret River is about 4 to 5 hours.
This useful website (posted by another mummy earlier... Clarewen if I'm not wrong) is quite useful in checking for driving directions, distance and estimated time to reach from one place to another
http://www.travelmate.com.au/MapMaker/MapMaker.asp

Back