Mummies in Australia?

Hi All *wave*
had nt gone in for a very long time as im so busy with my hub n doter moved to Perth with all the hiccups here n there. & very contented & touched by lots of mummies helping me. I'm relli very grateful to all of u.

Wrt to wat hopeac had mentioned abt gettin a job. it's totally true althou ur on a demand list its nt as easy as it looks....even gettin casual job is tough...my hub had met lots of ppl flocking back to their home as some of them didnt manage to get a PR although they have a job & had worked there for 3-5 yrs. A fren of my hub who just graduated n was granted graduate visa was allowed 18 mths to look for co to sponsor his PR..currently he's still looking for a permanent job but have 3 casual jobs. Luck & blessings are wat u need...i hope wat i'd mentioned would nt had scared anybody. But as mentioned before by most who had migrated, migration is nt for faint-hearted ppl.

I need to know do we need to stay for at least 2 yrs to get children benefits & baby bonus. Cos i was told that we would nt get this benefits if we had nt clocked 2 yrs of stay in Perth.

anybody know of cheap freight to sent item abt 100kg? so far DHL is the cheapest quote i get...anybody can share theirs....

Mngo, received with thanks

hopeac, thanks for e pointers about tat big move.

We planned for hubby to go over and look for job while e children and me stay put at sgp. Think we'll give him 6 mths. If he ends up with nothing, he'll come back and look after e children while I go over to try to look for job. At any one time, there should be one person working and bringing in income. Hope all turn out well.
A fren who has been there for a long time advised tat it is easier for ladies to find work. There are plenty of temp admin work around. We asked her if we could work at fast food chain, she laughed and said tat we are overaged....
sad.gif
hubby said tat he could go to fruit farm and pluck fruits

anyone heard of homestay, or know anyone tat provides it? We are considering homestay at melb for a start since only 1 person is there initially. Then we do not need to fuss abt e initial setup- assume homestay comes with furnishing, Internet, 2 meals also?

Ryatie
You can get benefits immediately.
You do not need to clock 2 yrs for family/childcare benefits. However baby bonus wise, i am not sure.

hi woof,
It may be easier for women to look for temp admin work, and retail. But for corporate, it is really still a man's world. I still feel that preference is given to man to woman.

You can rent a room in melbourne. It is 150 to 200 a week depends on location. I mean, you can always eat out? Internet most pple have it, or you can get mobile internet which is around 29 dollars for 2 gig pre paid. You are not fussy, you can always buy a second hand bed and just sleep on mattress.

What line is u and hub in?

Been away for sometime... wow, this thread moving quite a bit.

During my time when I applied for my PR, did it ourselves (thot not worth it to pay agent to do it, it is quite straight forward actually, just follow the requirements stated in the form), I'm the primary applicant, my hubby & nbr1 were included in the applications. No need for English test back then. Got our PR in abt 6mths. Then I gave birth to my nbr2 in Sg few years back. Applied PR for my nbr2 separately, she is under child migration, her PR approved within 2 weeks.

Since there is mentioned of Rostrata Pri here, my older girl is in there now n maybe can share a bit of our thots. It has quite a good mix of locals n migrants (Chinese from China/Singapore/Malaysia, Indians, Koreans, etc). AUS pri schs in general r not very academic. Even in gd pri schs, it still depends on the teachers. Some teachers run very good curriculum for their classes, while just teachers just do their job (not sure if you can catch what I mean). Different teachers have different style of teaching. So don't be surprised for eg that 2 Yr 3 kids in 2 different classes may learn different things. Oh, by the way, Rostrata runs multi year class. In a class, there is a mix of 2 different year. PP1 mix with Yr1, Yr2 mix with Yr3, Yr4 mix with Yr5, Yr6 mix with Yr7. In this way, the kids usually stay with the same teacher for 2 consecutive years.

Hopeac has provided quite a good overview of the education system here.

I know many migrants who find that basic sch is not enough, they send their kids to enrichment/tuition classes like Kumon, chinese lessons, etc. And they are the ones who wld look out for entrance exams to good senior high sch, gift programs exams, scholarships exams, etc.

Since you got to be living within the sch boundary zones in order to get into the public sch in that area, many migrants r willing to pay high sale price or rent just to get into the area. Most people wld find that houses in Willetton/Riverton/Rossmoyne are overpriced.

Thank hentang for such insights... We are still exploring to migrate there but your mail gave me an after-thought that it might just to be same situation here now... the never ending mad-rushing to pick kids from school after work, sending them to their enrichment classes for both weekday and weekend. So how relax is Australia huh?

Momresource
How relax you want is up to you. But the mad rush of picking kids from school and extra classes is the same as Spore as parents want to give their child different exposure while they can afford.

Sunnyling
Sydney to us is not very different to Spore. Sydney people work long hrs too here. Compared to Brisbane, Sydney is alot more fast-paced and cost of living is also higher. I guess if you want to excel in your job we have to put in the effort. But I have colleagues who are really laid back too. But the differnce is AU is big, there are alot of places to go during weekends to relax.

Racism is everywhere, even in Spore. But Sydney has a large multi-racial population, so its unlikely you will experience any racism openly, but you will never know how people are thinking internally.

If you do not have help at home, working full time is quite difficult when the kids are young. If you put your kids in child-care and do not eat the food they prepare, they don't really bother as there is a routine to follow round the clock. At most you can prepare your own food and ask them to give to the child. Working part-time may be an option, many work base on school hrs.

momresource,
Everything is about choices you make. You can don't work, stay at home and look after the kids. It will not be a mad rush. People here will not look at you differently unlike singapore, becos it makes financial sense for some families.

The school work is definitely more relax than Singapore. Most aus parents dont send their kids to extra enrichment classes. Music classes can be done during school hours. So for the typical aus family, is the most 1 hour homework a week. And sports for the weekend.

But it is the "kiasu" asians who have a hectic lifestyle. They must send their kids to the best music teachers, Kids must go for the chinese classes. Kids must be the best, so they need to go for extra scholarship classes on weekends. To keep up with the aussies, they also send their kids to swimming classes.

The extra pressure on the kids are done by the parents, not by the school system.

My son and the older kids know the difference in the education system. They will not want to go back to the education system or rather they cannot adapt to the education system in singapore. What I like, in good state schools, they teach kids by capability. Maths groups split by capabilities. The good ones are given extension exercises, the poorer ones may be given extra help for example. But it is no denying that maths in singapore is better.

If you are asking us how relax is Australia. Then you should ask yourself how relax you want to be. Are you willing to give up 1 income? Are you willing to live the aus way? Yes, it is relaxing. If you are bring your singapore baggage over, then it is just like the singapore lifestyle.

Momresource,
Hopeac is right. I seriously agree to what she mention here. I belong to the KS type of parent, working and rushing to pick my son from school.
Then weekends are spent sending him to other classes too.

Hi manta, hopeac, mngo,
Thanks for the insight! I am trying to get away from the mad-rush here, thus the thought of migration. But I am just not sure to start from scratch... learning to cook, washing, ironing and whether to be able to survive there with 1 income. Definetely not possible here in Singapore!!!

Btw, I just want to check if anyone here explore staying in New Zealand? Is the schooling similiar to Australia? How much are you paying for primary school kids there?

mngo,
Really... I heard from a friend that the govt is getting Singaporean to work and live there... I went thru the updated Australia skilled list, unfortunately not eligible now.

Do you know about the education there?

Momresource
Everyone is getting out of NZ. When i tried to apply, it was like 10 yrs ago. haha.
Anyway ... i hv no idea abt education. I guess is as lax as AU ..

Hi mgno,
Possible to share why everyone is leaving? Bcos no job? Singapore is having Natas travel fair and I am thinking to book to go NZ to look see...

Momresource
I think we are all getting away from the mad rush in Spore, but if you have school-going kids its more or less unavoidable, but its better already. Alot of families survive on one income here, but I guess you have to compromise the finer luxuries in Life.

If u like peace and quiet, then NZ may be good. But if u are used to Spore, where its bustling till the wee hrs, you may not be use to it. I personally find it too quiet.

Momresource
My hb and I left Singapore because our PR is due :p. We both had good jobs in Singapore.

We had a very very comfortable life which enables us to have some life luxury. But the stress of our work, coupled with lack of family time was the push factor really.

I made the right decision in moving to AU because of its no stress school life for my son. Of cos, I do miss Singapore's bustling life.

Have you been to NZ? I had been there twice. I would say that a lot of New Zealanders left their country for Australia because NZ is a very stagnant country, growth restriction.

mngo,
I have not been in NZ but couple of times to AU. We are not getting young and think that we won't afford not to work, less talk about retirement here. Even savings also not enough for both kids university, thus we are considering AU. But alas, we don't qualify under the skilled cat. So looking out at NZ, free education for kids... ya, family time is really valuable. Both of us change our career when kids came along but still, the stress here... again, I also worry about coping elsewhere. Aside from adapting to new lifestyle, working for job and new environment for kids. Whereas here, at least got mum and in-laws and maids (used to) to help out...

Hi all,

Never update for so long after my Brisbane trip as my work are pilling up and my new GM is on board now so super super super busy.

After some "ding dong" here and there, I think my hubby had more or less confirm that we will be going over to Sydney but still some migrate conditions to meet before contract can be sign.

Manta,

Where are you staying in Sydney?

Momresource
We have free education for kids in AU too.
Well it is free - so cannot expect too much.
Your worries are not unfounded. Those issues will come when you are in a new land.

hi mummies,
I need ur advice.My hubby just got a offer from Port Augusta,South Australia.They are ready to sponsor PR for us.I understand from some googling that its a remote kind of area.Is it safe to move there with children.Anybody staying there or have friends there.Please help.

Thanks

hi Teena,
There are a few factors you need to consider.
1. There is a prison in Port Augusta. There was a riot in 2008.

2. It is a city with less than 30,000 people. Your family is alone overseas, support group/friends are very important. And it may be difficult to find a support group there. And be prepared that are very few asians there, so that will make your family stand out.

3. The schools there, academically base on naplan are below the australian average. You can check it here http://www.myschool.edu.au. That will be my primary concern for your kids.

Thanks hopeac,
It helped me in making decision,I also found out thro google that the place is not very safe...no wonder they want to sponsor PR for us..I think,its better to reject the offer

Hi, anyone of u have got experience in getting your visa extended if u didnt meet the 2 out of 5 yrs requirement? Any advice on this? Thanks.

Hi all mummies,

I'm new to this motherhood thingy cos now expecting.
Does anyone know where to go for pregnancy checkups?

I know its different here in Perth compared to S'pore where we booked a doctor on a package to follow you through till birth.

Thanks

monkey,

You do not accept PM. If you like to talk about the pregnancy checkups and details, feel free to drop me a pm.

Hi all Mummies,

Not sure if anyone can help but I really hope you can.

Am bringing my parents and 3 year old boy to Australia
Next week.

We have a GPS unit but do not have Australia map. Can anyone
Be so kind to save and send me Australia map if you have?

Expenses all paid by me, so hoping to save a little on this.

Hope to see a reply.

Appreciate lots in advance

Hi all,

Chanced upon this interesting thread....Can any one advise the process of relocation to Sydney? i.e. what to pack, to ship, and any reliable shipping company to recommend?

many thanks.

Hi Mummies,

I'm planning relocating to Sydney Jan 2011 with 2 young children, hubby & MIL. Can anyone advise me on the following:

(1) temp housing (furnished)- cos we're going to Sydney to look for jobs. Both hubby & I are PRs.

(2) 2nd hand car- any reliable shops?

(3) Good childcare for my 2YO & 7 months old in Northshore? Anyone know the cost & hours like?

(4) If you are a pre-school teacher working in Sydney, can you please advise me the on the rates, benefits and rights?

hi all,

am moving to Sydney in march...can i loop in for the advices too?

anyone bought medical insurance yet? can recommend me which to get so i can be covered overseas...

thks!

Hi, pennypie

Replies to your questions :

1) Furnished housing is not common on the market. So may take you longer to get housing. Most people let out vacant houses. Otherwise, if u really want furnished, go for service apt.

2) Just go to authorised dealers for Toyota, Honda, Holden etc. All of them have 2nd hand cars for sale. I personally have experienced twice, and I have no complains.

3) Childcare charges are about $100 a day and some less. But depending on circumstances u get varying amounts of rebate from govt. My advice is to shortlist a few and check out the place to see if u like the envt. Some childcare allow free trial and u can observe to see of you child likes the place or not.

Hi, chloef
It would be better if u compare the various policies around to see which suits you best. U can go to www.iselect.com.au. Its pretty good and can recommend you which ones are suitable for your needs.

hi mummies,
so envy that you all can migrate to OZ...it seems so nice living there.

I'm going to bring my 1.5 yr old toddler for a holiday in Sydney next year march. Any places which suitable for active kids? He loves nature, running in outdoor. I plan to bring him to visit farms (because I assume the farm in OZ is so nice), mountains, beach....

Your advice plsss... million thanks
happy.gif

Hi Pennypie,

At the moment, haven't decided which suburb we will be in...still searching....you? mostly likely in the inner western suburb....

Hi,

Just chanced upon this thread, hmm, now the migration thoughts rekindled in me again. Lived in Sydney for a couple of years previously when I studied there. Quite a number of my friends had chosen to apply for PR shortly after we graduated, a handful brave ones even chose to continue staying there to look for a job.

I was the "weak" one, missing home and Singapore very much then, hence returned home almost immediately after I received my academic transcripts. However, I do miss living in Sydney greatly now and then, especially now when I see the pressure faced by my elder one in school, really feel like applying for PR too.

Did mummies here whom got the applications approved apply through agencies or on your own? Can advise any difference in these 2 options?

Hello all mummies who have moved to perth!! I am also planning to move to perth end of the year as our visa will be expiring soon in 2013.

As our initial application only includes my elder boy so my bb gal who was born last year was not included in. Need advice from you gals as i intend to proceed to apply child migration for my gal before my hubby moved to Perth next month to find a job first. But then in the form 40ch.pdf(sponsorship form)..it request us to state our "DAte of arrival in Australia" and show proof of length of residency.

How should i fill in for this portion?? Cos we are still in singapore. Do we fill in the date that we went over for our "initial entry" 2 years back or??

As the amount involved in applying this child visa is nearly $3000 so we really hope that there is no hiccup on this as there is no refund to it even if the visa is rejected.

Hope mummies here can help or advise me on this. Your help is greatly appreciated.

mngo
$ is relli a great deal expecially when paying mortgage...so how r u? im back in sg n flying back to perth next mth...have nt get a chance to meet u...

mumzz
sum of the mummies here du it themselves n sum did by agent....as for agent, u got to fork out more money ...

pinkypooh
the child visa is nearly $3k tat's y i opt to deliver in perth instead..but i know that the approval is pretty fast...

hi pinkypooh,
me too going over this year. cos our's expiring end 2011!
if i can remember correctly, yup, its the initial entry date.
don't worry, as long as parents are PR, won't be rejected.
and the approval was quite fast too, ours took less than a month!

Hi Pinky Poh, I didn't know o apply for child's Visa cost $3k. I thought it's about $2k. I am delivering here in April and will have to apply for my child's visa too. Yeah, like you, I'll have to do so before hubby goes over.

Pinky pooh
I wld be putting in e application for my boy within these few weeks- when wld u put in yrs? Maybe can share info on how to go abt doing it.... Aus high comm only operates half day in e morning

min lenght of residency - 2 yrs
saw tat some mummies actually move over on their 4th or 5th yr after visa grant. I was told tat we need to stay in aus for a min period of 2yrs in order to qualify for pr renewal- do we need to stay a ' continuosly' for 2 yrs? I also intend to move on my 4th yr, but wld fly bk to sgp once every few mths for few weeks- does it still count as 2yr residency?

Family day care
any mummies send their kids to FDC? Any feedbk? Any info wld be helpful.... Still in my early stage of research on childcare options

pinky poh, child visa gets approved pretty fast as it is priority queue if both parents are PR. I don't think that would change despite the recent amendment to the migration law.

Woofwoof, u have to go in early in the morning, like 9am. Be expected to wait a decent while before your turn. You can go alone and submit the application, no need to bring your boy along. But just make sure whatever certs you submit has to be CTCed.

Our PR actually expired in 2008 but hubby was working there for a while and appealed relentless over there and they got it extended till 2013 for us. So we were thinking of moving over in prob 2012. Intend to deliver my no. 2 over there but hvg some complications, so looks like it's hard to do so for now also.

Tot of moving to Melbourne? Any mommies staying there? Any advice which area to stay? I am looking for areas that are near to good schools, esp girls school.

Tweetie
thks for e info... Real relief to know tat I dun have to tug my boy along... Also lookg to move to Mel- haven't decided on where to stay...U intend to be a SAHM over there?

Back