Mummies in Australia?

twinkle21

Hi..any Singaporean mummies living in Perth? My hubby is posted to work in Perth. Hope to know some mummies in Australia.

happy.gif

Hi I'm living in Canberra...

Hubby said might be going to Perth end of year...but not confirm yet..
happy.gif

Hi Janz & mngo,

Glad to hear from you gals.

I haven't moved over to Perth yet. My hubby might be posted there ard end of this year. I'm still thinking whether to join him there or not? If I'm joining him I willbe under dependant pass, therefore I can't work there.

I heard Australia is a beautiful place, I think my daughter will love it.

happy.gif

twinkle
i have not move to OZ yet. maybe will be ... in a year or two. hoping to know of more sg ladies before i physically locate there.

yea australia is realy nice and beatiful. hv u been there before? how old is your daughter.

Mngo,

If u move to OZ, which part of OZ will u be going? For how long?

I haven't been to Oz b4.. but I heard that it is a beautiful place, with lots of parks, open spaces and beaches. I think it is an ideal place for kids to grow up or for people who are going there for retirement. hehehe

My daughter is 10mths+.. how abt you? Do u hv any kids?

Perth is a beautiful place indeed. I met my husband there when we both studied there. Thinking of settling down in Perth after we retire..but that's another 30 years later..keke..

One concern of mine is the harsh (desert) weather though...the temperature can vary drastically between day and night. My skin became very dry even during the winter period so got to slab on lots of moisturier after washing hands or bathing.

twinkle
we are thinking of melb. in fact , we went in feb to "racky" the place and to tour around. And yea.. a lot of parks! very big and nice ones. esp when the weather was so good,u see people picnic there. i have a boy - 18 mths old.

cjx
in fact, all other parts of aussie has the harsh weather. it is the same for new zealand as well

Hi cjx,

Wow... so u met your hub in Perth. So u must know the place very well? Is it a very laid back place? What do people usually do there? I heard the shops in Oz close very early..like 4pm? Can u recommend any interesting places to go and places to eat? How is the shopping there? Good?

Ya, I heard the weather is pretty drastic. The weather could be fine in daytime, but freezing at night. I'm not sure if I could adapt to the drastic weather there cos I'm so used to tropic weather.

Mngo,

Melborne seems like a more happening place. My friend might be going there also. Her hub is posted there. But melborne is quite far from Perth I heard.

Maybe I'll let my hub go and racky Perth 1st before deciding to go over with him. It is not easy relocating as I have many commitments here also.

I think your son will love the parks and beaches in oz.. :p

twinkle
yea melbourne has to much to offer. heee.. there's nice beaches, cafes, shopping, fruits, parks, people.... except the weather. too drastic.

actually yea... to relocate is a big move. but once u decide to do so, u hv to move on n dun look back

mngo,

Ya, I think it will be gd for my daughter if I join my hubby. I want my hubby to see my daughter grow up.

Hopefully he will be there on a long term basis, then I don't have to consider so much and just go with him. If his posting is short term, I have to think twice cos I'm afraid I cant find a job when I come back to spore.

The diisadvantage is: I think i will grow FAT there...cos the lifestyle is too relaxed!! Hahahhaha

twinkle
hahaha... actually if yr hubby posting is 1 year, u can consider to go there with him.

hahah... u so funny. there are lots of nice restaurants there. and the fruits there taste fantastic! we will never get to eat or try such nice tasty fruits in singapore

mngo

1 yr is very short term. I think I will only consider going if his posting is more than 3yrs?

Wa...i heard the food there is nice. Esp fish & chips? hehehe

Yap, you can never experience that kind of relaxed lifestyle here...

I should be going there for a long holiday during the end of the year. Go there and see if I can adapt 1st..hehehe

hi ladies
Side track a bit here, hope you all dun mind. I am planning to go MEL for hols next month. Any suggestions where can i bring my gal to in MEL? She is 30mo.
happy.gif

thanks!
mrs shim

mrs shim
heee.. though side track, u came to the right place. i went to mel in feb with my ds who was 14 mths at that time. some question

1) how many days
2) is it free and easy
3) u want shopping or sight seeing?
4) do u intend to travel out of melbourne city?

twinkle
wah.... more than 3 years?! then u can migrate there liao leh. heee

oh yea lor. their fish and chip is good. many diff type of fish. but one fish cost 6-8 aussie dollars at times. the oysters are good to!

I ate so much oysters over there

how long is yr long holiday.

Hi Twinkle,

Hubby is studying in Canberra and might be going to Perth for some research...

My DS & I follow him wherever he goes...DS is 13 mths now...and Canberra is a great place to bring him up...

Hi Mngo,

No we r not PRs...

Canberra is quieter and more relaxed as compared to Sydney, not so sure about Melb...

We've been to Sydney a couple of times but we don't tink we would like to stay there...

The people in Canberra are very nice and considerate...it's a good place to bring up kids..
happy.gif

Hi gingerale,

Wow..u lived in perth for close to 5 yrs? How is life over there? Are u used to it? U are staying there long term??

I heard Perth is a very nice and relaxing place to live in. Quite an ideal place for settling down.

mngo,

Ya, i thk he should be going there for at least 3 yrs.. but it is not confirm how long he will be posted there, i will know maybe during july/ aug.

Wa..the fish n chips very big portion also right? Think 2 person can share one plate..haha

I heard the oysters are v fresh n juicy.. i think last time my friend went to do abalone catching/ fishing in oz..not sure where though. Sounds fun! But those abalones r the mini versions..hahaha

I am planning to go there for 2-3 wks during yr end..clear my leave also. At the same time can go racky the place.

Janz,

Wow...maybe if you move to perth I will be there too..then we can meet up. :D

My daughter is 10mths now..she can play with your ds.. hahaha

twinkle
the fish and chips there is errmm... not very big lor . so one person can finish one plate lah. oh yea.. the oysters are really yummy!!!

PR is easy to apply. go by point system. u can apply thru imigration or apply thru agent.

mngo

point system?? how does it work? sorry huh, i'm clueless on these things...

if life is gd there, hopefully i can stay there long term..

twinkle....

long story lah. hahaa. why not u go to australia immigration website to check? if not u can pm me

mngo,

1) how many days
<font color="119911">answer : 5D 4N</font>

2) is it free and easy
<font color="119911">answer : yes, we booked to stay in Grand Hyatt along Collins Street and intend to go around from there.</font>

3) u want shopping or sight seeing?
<font color="119911">answer : i have been shopping in MEL before, have not done sightseeing before though due to short stay.</font>

4) do u intend to travel out of melbourne city
<font color="119911">answer : yes, intend to join day-tours.</font>

it will be good if you can share with me where are the good places to visit in MEL to entertain my little monsteress? is the zoo nice in MEL? we are going on JUL5, snowing season! basically my hb's objective is to relax &amp; enjoy the tours this time round. no intention to drive around too. my objective is to make my hb &amp; dd happy!
happy.gif

Hi Twinkle,
Sorry for the late reply. couldn't log in last few days.

I was in Perth for 4 years between 1996 - 2000. Wont say that I know the place very well but well enuff to find places to eat and shop during weekends and term breaks. We stayed in a town house at Mount Lawley which was about 20 min drive to our uni and just 5 min to the city area. Perth is a quiet and laid back place if you compare to the other busier cities like Sydney or Melbourne but generally the people there are wonderful as the lifestyle there is nothing like Singapore, where pp rush everywhere like there's no tomoro. The Aussies like to hang around with family and friends so activities such as BBQs, family parties and outdoor activities are very popular esp during the summer days. The shops close early compared to Singapore, around 4:30 or 5pm. However, the shopping centres at the suburbs are open for late night shopping till 10pm and same for the City on Fridays.

The food there are generally "Western" - that includes American, Italian, Mediterranean. For us, (as poor students at that time; and too lazy to cook most of the time) would usually settle for fast food or simple soups and dishes if we eat out. The fruits, veg and dairy pdts are very fresh as they originate from there, same for fish and seafood.

You may want to make a trip to Perth this 30 Sept to 7 Oct as that's the time when they have the Perth Royal Show where families flock down to have a fun time there. It's located at the Claremont Showground every year and it's like a giant playground with lots of activities like horse-riding, wine tasting, games, puppet shows and many more. One day may not be enuff to see all the things which are happening. They have a website and it's attached here http://www.perthroyalshow.com.au/.

Hi cjx

Wow..thanks for all the info.. you are very helpful.

From your descriptions,I think Perth is a wonderful place to relax and spend time with family.

The Perth Royal Show sounds fun. I'll see if I can go there during that period. If I were to go there, I hope I can at least stay for 4-5 days. Saving my leave to visit Perth during yr end.

I'm thinking of visiting Perth again during the Royal Show. Hoping to bring my daughter, who is now 21 mths to visit the place where her daddy and mummy meet and also show her the animals on display. But I have reservations as this would be the first time I bring my girl overseas. Not sure if I can handle it...

mrs shim
if your gal can tahan, u can join day tours to philip island and yarra valley

if u have time, drive up to geelong's water front . very nice. oh now at melbourne, there is docklands waterfront. also nice place. u can take the city circle tram and it will bring u there

mrs shim
july's gonna be really cold. i am not sure if you little one can take the cold? and if stay outdoors for a long time can really freeze. i din go to the zoo. i brought my ds to mornington peninsular's strawberry farm. and we drove to apollo bay to chk the great ocean road.

for a 5 days 4 nights, u can go to the places i had mentioned. of cos not forgetting the crown, st kilda and the king's domain. u can watch lion king at the theatre too since u will be staying at collins.

cjx,

I think it is nice to bring your daughter to watch the Royal Show. They don't have such events in spore so I'm sure it will be an eye opener for her.

I brought my daughter to tokyo when she was 8mths. It's quite a nightmare cos she was crying and crying during the flight. Maybe cos it is too cramped and she can't really move ard. Esp during the landing, the air pressure hurts her ears and she cries all the way until we touch down..heh

I think since your daughter is 21mths it will not be as bad since u can let her drink water/ snack during landing to ease the air pressure. Besides that Perth is only 4hrs away? I think it should be quite ok.

Thanks for the encouragement, Twinkle!

If I'm not wrong, Brisbane also has some sort of Royal Show like the one in Perth. Wonder if it's the same?

The last time I went back was in 2001 but my hubby and I both fell sick, he was down wif flu and me with diarrhoea. So suay! Din manage to enjoy much.

There's also places like King's Park and Fremantle which you shld visit. King's Park has a great view of the Swan River and beautiful flowers bloom in spring, during the sept mth onwards. Fremantle is a fishing port famous for the fish and chip and weekend flea market.

The Fremantle Prison is also an eye opener, altho I think it's not wise to bring young children to visit. It's a gloomy place and I got the creeps when I stepped into it..

Anyone else wants to share their experience in Perth or other parts of Australia? Recently there was so much adverts/shows on TV and 8 days on Australia. Really wished to fly there immediately..ha ha..

cjx
curious, which uni u from. uwa or curtin or murdorch? last, not least... edith cowan? heh

oh yea... hv to visit king's park!!! nice nice.

experience? .... my one is melbourne experience.
i bght my 14mth old ds there in feb

Hi mngo,

I'm from uwa. My other housemates were from Edith Cowan. I also have friends who studied in Curtin and Murdoch. The Singaporean community there not very big so someone will know somebody. Did you study there also?

cjx,

Dont mention.. I think it will be very nice to bring your daughter there...she will love it! Cos I think she can appreciate this experience at this age. When I brought my daughter to Tokyo, she was very cranky cos she is too young to enjoy / appreciate anything. But I never regret bringing her cos I will miss her if I went holiday without her. At least I can take pics/ video to show her I brought her there b4.

Yap, Hubby said we will go visit Kings's park and let our daughter run abt in open spaces..hhehehe

How far is fremantle from perth if you drive? Heard the things in Fremantle are more expensive.

Er..i dont think I will visit the prison..hahaha Esp with my daughter ard..dont want her to remember this scene.

twinkle,

yeah...i was concerned if my daughter would be too young to appreciate the trip.. but then again I won't enjoy the trip as much if she's not ard.

Fremantle is about 30 min drive from the city, depending on road condition. It's near the coastal area so when you are reaching the place, you are literally driving alongside the South China Sea. It's a really spectacular view!!

That's the thing about Australia.. You can see further, not like Singapore where the furthest you can see is the building next door (a bit exaggerating lah but i think you know what i mean) ha ha..

The thinks there may be slightly more exp as it's been publicise too much and it's a tourist attraction so the prices go up a bit more.

hi mngo,

I think it would still have left a deep impression no matter how long you've stayed there. did you enjoy yourself there? where did you usually go when you were there? i normally frequent northbridge, hay &amp; murray street, fremantle, morley and also the murdoch uni to borrow books..

hi cjx
yea u r right. and indeed i' had enjoyed myself so much. goodness that i did not fail my exams. hehehe. i normally go hay street too.

I can never keep up with the threads in this forum. ;P

mngo I'm not there anymore. Think I spoke to you in SB before? came back about 3 years ago. Initially hubby and I wanted to migrate over there. But last min change our minds. His PR just expired. bleah~ But I'm gonna appeal for extension. Too wasted to let go of the PR.

Twinkle21 I love it there. Life is very peaceful. No pressure only nice and friendly people. Cars are cheap. The beach is just 5- mins away. Ahhh I miss Perth!

mng,

I miss the japanese restaurant i used to go to for dinner. The last time I visited in 2001 they shifted and were so high tech! All the waitresses were using PDA to take orders!! just can't remember the name of it...

gingerale,

I miss Perth too!! I've had many frens who applied for PR in Australia after their studies. But some of them have to give it up coz they dun return often enough too retain it...

cjx,

I heard there is a jap restaurant in perth, not sure where though. I thk it might be the one u're referring to. Can't imagine not having jap food when I'm there.

mngo

Many of my friends who went oz to study never came back. They all became PR there. Life must be better there, else they wouldn't have stayed there after their studies. Some of them doing biz there after they graduate.

gingerale

wow, think it is a waste to give up PR.. hope u can renew it. Yes, i heard the cars are cheap there, so if i were to join my hubby, i will get a cheap car to drive ard when my hubby is at work. Else by the time he comes home, all the shops will be closed!! sob.

twinkle,

I found it!!! The name is Matsuri Japanese Restaurant...located on the ground floor of the QV1 building, corner of Hay and Milligan Streets. They also have a website http://www.matsuri.com.au/about.html.

There's also Fast Eddies, a 24-hr burgerjoint so you can get your supper fix any time of the night..hehe..it's hard not to get FAT over there...
biggrin.gif

Back