Mummies in Australia?

Thanks hidora for your info.

If the prices fall, we might consider buying properties there. Any restriction for foreigner? How's the interest rate if we loan and any taxes if we pay all in a sum. Hopefully by the time we go, no more mortgage.

Diana,

I'm sorry, but I was not in chrg of the monies and bank loan when we bought the house. Please check out the banks for their mortgage rate e.g ANZ.

hi,
To add to Hidora note. Some public schools may be better than independent schools. You just need to check them out

Dear Mummies,

Please advise me on this.We are relocating soon and just sold our flat.We want to transfer our all around 6 figure amount to australian bank.How to do it with minimum fees.One option we were exploring to telegraphic transfer but it is going to cost a lot.Another option to make a demand draft.
Please advise on it.The amount need to be transferred is big and its all our earning/Saving until now.
Looking forward for a reply

Teena

theres this money changer at parkway parade beside citibank. Be a member with them, n u can tf as much u want with a nominal fee of $20-$40 for per transfer..its the cheapest i kno..cos the rest will charge on the amt u sent..hope tis helps...msg me if u nid to kno further queries..

hopeac,

In fact some of the top schools in Perth are public schools.
happy.gif

Teena,

Are you still moving to Port Augusta?

Ray, You cannot bring in more than 10K AUD in cash per person. Anything above 10K you will be taxed. Of course you can do it secretly, but there are consequences if you get caught. Even if you tt or bank transfer, you will be taxed if above 10 K.

Perhaps you u want to bring in bank draft

Hopeac
I thought that not every one will get taxed? I remembered that the gov will give migrants 6 months timeframe to bring in all their money without taxing them. After which , they will be taxed.

hello everyone,
i've just moved to perth about 2 months ago.
me and hb both quit our well-paid, stable jobs in s'pore to come over and start a new life with our 2 yr old boy.
currently we're both job-hunting, and living off our savings.

it's not a breeze, but we're getting by.
we don't buy "branded" groceries (as mentioned above) or go shopping.
and eating out is a def NO for now.
it can get quite lonely with no friends/family around.

but most importantly, my boy is enjoying the wide, open (non-crowded), kid-friendly spaces and activities that are available here... and so are we.

btw, anyone here is in NOR?
I'm keen to make new friends...

Mummies in Perth
We hv been in Melb for almost a year now. Enjoying our time here but wondering how life is like in Perth now cos my hb may hv a job opportunity there. We hv a 5 year old daughter & I'm a Sahm. Would still prefer to stay in a suburb with some Chinese. Appreciate any input. Thanks!

Hi mngo
Guess we prefer a good balance. Though we live in a suburb that has many Chinese here, we preferred to choose a sch which is abt 40-50% Asians. there are some w 60+% Chinese which we felt would not be a realistic reflection of the society here at large. Suburbs that r safe, family friendly would be ideal. How much is rental for a 3 bedder there?

We plan to fly into Perth to check out the place soon. Good for a short break too. Which suburbs should we be checking out?

Hidora
Hee but...? Thanks will check out the site mngo mentioned & canningvale too when we confirm our trip there. Renting a place in Melb too currently.

Haha.. gosh, I must have dozed off halfway while typing...

But I do not know if the proportion is what you are looking at. The public primary schools in Canning Vale are not bad. And I feel that it's a relatively safe suburb too.

Perth is unlike Melb... Melb is more or less like Singapore.. Perth is more laid back, slow and relaxed (if you like that term)... Some will say it's boring. But it's a beautiful place, nonetheless..

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/9580829/home-prices-tipped-to-fall-more/

WA property prices will fall before they get better, with a sustained recovery kicking in as late as 2013, a real estate investment source predicts.

Property Observer says prices could fall up to 8 per cent more in the next 12 to 18 months before a strong recovery fuelled by the resources sector and infrastructure projects. The prediction bucks homeowner hopes that Perth property prices had bottomed out.

It follows a 7.3 per cent price drop in Perth's house prices in the past year - the biggest fall in Australia - based on data from RP Data Rismark.

A Property Observer spokesman said local price declines had accelerated recently with a 1.5 per cent reduction in April alone.

The online group's Property Clock - where 12 o'clock identifies a market's property price peak and 6pm the trough - suggests Perth's market is at 4.40pm.

"Perth is very sensitive to interest rate rises, so if there is another interest rate rise, it will push the clock back to 2pm, which means it will take longer for prices to bottom out," the spokesman said.

A report by realestate.com.au appears to back the prediction of downward pressures on Perth property prices.

The realestate.com.au survey nominates Perth and Brisbane as the least affordable property markets in Australia at a time when 87 per cent of WA residents said bills and expenses had increased.

But while West Australians generally find it hard to get on the property ladder or move up it, many seem to be fussy about the types of homes they are will to buy.

About half would not buy a home that did not give them a decent amount of space from their neighbours, according to the survey.

A similar number would not buy a home that did not provide every family member with a room of their own. More than half were unwilling to live further then 10km from their ideal location.

National statistics from the same survey showed that 94 per cent of Generation Y respondents were prepared to give up luxury brands to achieve the great Australian dream of home ownership.

Analyst David Chalke said Gen Ys were the most optimistic and seniors the most concerned about housing affordability.
"Despite the economic ups and downs of recent years, there is no sign whatsoever that the dream of home ownership is weakening," he wrote.

Hidora
Thanks for posting the article. Hard to gauge how relaxed the pace is without living there ourselves, I guess. Do u think the primary education systems in Melb & Perth are similar? Does this differ from state to state? We will be looking at public schs. Are you happy with how ur kid/s are faring so far?

Cheri,

Think very relaxed......Slow paced, nothing much to do... You should know what I meant when you come for holiday...

I'm quite pleased with my kid's progress.
happy.gif
He's in a public school in Canning Vale.

Visit farms, zoo/s, parks, museums etc? We mostly do that here too. Esp when weather is kind & she has no classes to attend.

Hidora & mngo
Are your kids attending any Chinese sch? Or other enrichment? Both of u hv only one kid & Sahm too? Or full time working mums.

Cheri,

I'm a SAHM to 3 kids, 5yr, 2.5yr and 4 mths old.

Not attending chinese school atm.

Yea, we do all that.. museum, beach, zoo, wildlife park, penguins, farm, roadtrips.. But you can only visit them so many times before you get bored of it.. (note: adults get bored...)

Cheri
I have only 1 boy. I am at the same time working mum's hours. I did not send him to Chinese school cos i did previously and he did not like it.
A lot of pple ask me to send. However, a mom whose daughter had 'graduate' from that chinese school told me that it's waste of time and money.
One thing is because the pple who attend that chinese sch are all from english speaking families. Teachers speaks in english to help them translate too!

And that mom says her girl now returns every single chinese back to the school.

As for enrichment program, i only enrolled my son in swimming and piano. Although there are other enrichment programs in my list but time and money is an issue :p

Mngo
Is there a sizable PRC population in Perth? They r plentiful in Melb so I find the standard in the Chinese schs here fine. My dd attends a prep level class now & at least half of the pupils in the class are from PRC. Next year, the sch will put the kids in 2 diff gps to do 2 diff syllabus. Those from Eng speaking backgrd & those who do speak Chinese at home.

Hidora
Wow, 3 kids! Not easy at all.

In a predominantly Eng speaking environment, it's v impt for a child to be able to use the Lang at home cos they do not speak Mandarin in sch. If not, it's tough. Cannot expect the sch or teachers to do magic lah.

My ger does piano n swimming too. Plus ballet & of course, Chinese. Do they hv Yamaha for piano in Perth? Gotta cut down next year when she starts prep. 1st on the list: ballet! Haha

Cheri
PRC population wise i am not sure. I dont mingle around with them, nor do i even take note of their presence!

there's yamaha for piano here but my son is with a private tutor for piano - one to one.

Cheri,

I feel that there's a sizable PRC presence... Just my area alone, lots of PRC already.. so much so I thought I'm in China.

It is impt for the kids to speak Mandarin at home in order to remember it. I used to ace my French in school, but have long forgotten the language since I don't use it. It is the same with any language.

Hi Perth mommies,

i had been reading this thread for the past 2 days, starting fm the very first post in June2006.

my hubby n i love Australia!! we r seriously thinking of relocating to Perth as its nearer to our homeland. we r thinking of going over to Perth after my elder DD finished her PSLE in 2012. then she can start her secondary sch in Perth. we feel sad n sorry to c my elder DD struggling with the hectic homeworks here in SG. we do hope she has a carefree life. we like the slow pace in perth. i hv another younger DD who is 4YO this yr.

m i right that we need to first apply for the PR as this might take years to approve? May i ask u experienced mommies, which category should i use to apply for PR? Use my hubby as main? he actually plan to set up some biz over there. Do u ladies think we can use investment migration? who can we turn to, to ask for more details? can we approach the Australia embassy?

frankly speaking, we r kind of confuse... we hv cousin over there but they r not singaporean so its kinda difficult for us to check with them..

i do hope u ladies r able to help me. thks ya!

GoGovier
1) You can use skill migrant visa
2) You can also use Business investment visa
3) You can use Temp Resi visa if you have more than a million to park with the gov here, untouched for 4 yrs.
5) Aussie embassy may not give you as much info as you need. Best is to pay money to see some migration consultant

Hi mngo,

Thks for replying.

Migration consultant in spore or in perth? do u ladies hv any good consultant to recommend?

another question: our cousin is residing in St James, near Victoria Pk. i search n realise there isn't any public sch over there. the nearest i can find is santa clara n this is a private sch. i thot maybe i go further n look around at Cannington, near westfield carosel. i found Cannington Community College which takes in students fm kindy to Yr10. this sch is like not as good. i am not sure.... Ladies, pls do correct me if i m wrong. Thks!

Gogovier
I have no recomendation.
St James!!!! Err ... not a good suburb.
Cannington is another not a good suburb to live.
Are you looking for private school? has it gotta be catholic or christian?
Anyway, you have a long way to go before you get your PR. so you dont have to look up these schools as yet.

Hi mngo,

really? no wonder the property price in these area r cheap!!

which are the better suburbs to stay for my children? pls help me list them. so i can take note and visit them during my next trip to perth,probably in Aug!

Any mommies has good migration consultant to recommend? need to find one in perth or spore?

Oh ya one more thing. I tot canning vale is safe. But two days ago, there was gun shot . IT was shot thru garage.

And few months ago, there was a boy without license who drove taxi from north to canning vale. How dangerous that was!

Hi Mngo,

i thot u perth mommies hv a list of good area to stay in?? Heehee..... but i remember someone mentioned in this thread that Riverton is not bad...

actually, i feel that there isn't any real good area! jus like spore. where is the good area to stay in spore? as long as a good school is there... ppl will flock to that area....

remember u mentioned i do not need to look up school as yet.. after much thinking, i feel i must start doing research on the school too! or maybe at the same time, applying for the PR... cos i need to look for 2 schools.. 1 for my elder n 1 for my younger... looking for 1 is already a headache n i need to look for 2. n also look for area to stay, save $$$ for house.... must think ahead!...

Pple say Riverton is not bad cos it's in rossmoyne zone mah! Nearby there is library, shops, swimming complex etc. BUT not bad area doesnt mean it's safe. Not bad area doesnt mean the houses are nice and new and cheap.

Some people find living up in the hills is good cos it's quiet. Some people prefers the city. So to one, place A is good, to another it is not.

Hey! so u ladies must let me know(if any) which area is a pubic "No-No"!! Hehe...

yeah! i had looked up the property at rossmoyne zone... riverton n willetton prices r ok... as for rossmoyne itself..Wow!! exp...

Hmmm.. y no "input" fm other mommies?

another question: i can apply the PR ourselves without going thru an agent,right?

mngo,

Wow! The boy is a better driver than I am!!!! ;p

GoGoVier,

No input because I do not know how to advise which area is safe or it's not. Singapore is supposed to be very safe, isn't it? But what's up with the recent homicide cases man...Body found in water tank in Woodlands somemore! That's where my mom stays... Heng ah, not her block.

If you have the money, buy the most expensive estate lor.. The more atas the estate, the safer it's supposed to be. I'm staying in Canning Vale but I do not take safety for granted. We have alarm system, security screen, security film. Basically try to make your house look very undesirable to break in compared to the neighbours.

But sometimes no matter what you do, also cannot win against natural disasters when it strikes... Like there was a mini tornado in Canning Vale that ripped up fences and roofs just weeks ago.

I agree with Mngo's suggestion that you do not need to look for school yet. First of all, you do not know when will your visa be approved. Secondly, even if it's approved, it still take some time for you to migrate over. Thirdly, if you want a good public school, it doesn't mean you can buy or rent a place in that suburb that easily.

But of course.. there's the all wonder ka-ching that makes the world go round... As long you have the moolah, you can stay in the best estate, and let your kids attend the best private school.

Here are the schools ranking...

http://bettereducation.com.au/school/Primary/wa/wa_top_primary_schools.aspx

http://bettereducation.com.au/school/Secondary/wa/wa_top_secondary_schools.aspx

gogovier
Your questionsss
( Any mommies has good migration consultant to recommend? need to find one in perth or spore?

Migration consultant in spore or in perth? do u ladies hv any good consultant to recommend? )

You want to come to perth to apply for your PR?
I know you like perth a lot, and i know you have that money to fly here frequently to get your documents delivered and signed. Therefore, you can have one in Perth if you want.

But then, i will not be in my right mind to fly here frequently to see any migration agent then, cos i dont have that much of money to spare to fly everyone here.

Back