(2014/08) August 2014

Hi, Is that true? I thought there is no priority queue even if you are a donor.

I oso thought so as well after googling the info on the official web. If someone else used the cord blood already (note that it can only be used once cos of the limited vol they can collect) then won't have priority over it.

I see cord blood storage beneficial for bb and also future siblings. I think unlikely they will keep priority for siblings also. Just my two cents but if it's otherwise then that will be great.

yep yep that's the good thing. I'm scared of needles! what I do now is indulge during lunch & control during dinner. prevents heartburn during the night too.

JTS, I bought this thyme nursing/sleep bra from qoo10 for $16.90 each. almost the same as the one I bought at mothercare yrs ago for $50+ each. in fact I think the thyme one better coz got slit to put padding. really good deal!

Is this the one u referring to? I bought Emma Jane brand from mums&babes at $37 each, v comfy but want to look for cheaper alternatives. I heard bravada very good oso but even more ex at $60 each in q0010.

Hope this thyme one is cottony feeling cos I perspire like crazy.

ImageUploadedByForum1404094901.048008.jpg

Hello Mummies I am new to the forum! My EDD is 7 Aug and going to deliver in TMC! I am currently on a low carbo and sugar diet as my gynae said my BB is slightly big (2.8kg at week 34) and I need to control if I opt for normal delivery :)

Hi, Is that true? I thought there is no priority queue even if you are a donor.
Correction to stt: no priority to q but if the cord blood is not used then you can use it if donated to scbb.
Just spoken to gynae about cord blood and I think I will still donate for no. 2

Is this the one u referring to? I bought Emma Jane brand from mums&babes at $37 each, v comfy but want to look for cheaper alternatives. I heard bravada very good oso but even more ex at $60 each in q0010.

Hope this thyme one is cottony feeling cos I perspire like crazy.

View attachment 323861

yep yep. it's those stretchy cotton material. similar to genie bra.

Correction to stt: no priority to q but if the cord blood is not used then you can use it if donated to scbb.

I'm juz worried they use the cord blood for research purpose without informing

when u say donate, do you have to do anything in advance? Like inform cord life or something like that?
Or at the point of delivery, u can inform the nurse?

I have actually chose not to donate and not to store my bb cord blood because my husband's friend actually told us that it would be useless after several years...
another friend of us advise us to push the cord blood back into the bb and we consulted our gynae about this...
he mentioned something about letting the cord blood distribute evenly between mum and bb before clamping is better than pushing because too much cord blood in the body is not good also....
and this article kinda support his view : http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/storing-cord-blood.html

when u say donate, do you have to do anything in advance? Like inform cord life or something like that?
Or at the point of delivery, u can inform the nurse?

U have to make an appt to meet the consultant and sign document prior first. They need to access if ur blood/oscar/detailed scan reports are good for being a donor. And they will pass u a set of document to bring to hospital when u due. . The gyane will have the last say if u can proceed to donate or not upon ur delivery becos u and baby are priority.

U have to make an appt to meet the consultant and sign document prior first. They need to access if ur blood/oscar/detailed scan reports are good for being a donor. And they will pass u a set of document to bring to hospital when u due. . The gyane will have the last say if u can proceed to donate or not upon ur delivery becos u and baby are priority.

Huh... so troublesome... I tot just inform the nurse when you deliver can already.

But this act can save a child's life. . ;)

At first I also think its gonna be effortless. . The consultant quite nice . They will accommodate to ur timing. It will takes around 20 mins for u to fill up the form and she will explain while you are doing so.

So Mommies who are not going to sign up.. do consider donating.

Just tell gynae I want to donate. I think there is a form to fill.

U mean all gynae have? Then I will speak to him again when I see him on 17 Jul.

@shirleyten yah... I understand that the act can save a child's life but to go thru so many trouble for a donation is really irritating. Beside, I don't want to meet up the consultant just in case some of them do hard-selling.

Just nw my gynae sat down and spoke to me abt this cord blood thingee for like 10-15 mins after consultation.
N'way bb is now 2.68kg at wk 34. Looks like I am controlling his weight v well. I asked gynae if ok to "hood" more durians and mangosteen, he says go ahead.
No VE done today (thk god). But will see him this sat again as my contractions or bh is getting v regular.
Did pre admin today and booked single bedder at glen e. Seems so close yet so far!
I will prefer manduca carrier.

They are from different department. Donation and selling different type of consultant. I also had concerns they would do that but apparently its a nice and pleasant meet up. Do check with ur gynae then. :)

Just nw my gynae sat down and spoke to me abt this cord blood thingee for like 10-15 mins after consultation.
N'way bb is now 2.68kg at wk 34. Looks like I am controlling his weight v well. I asked gynae if ok to "hood" more durians and mangosteen, he says go ahead.
No VE done today (thk god). But will see him this sat again as my contractions or bh is getting v regular.
Did pre admin today and booked single bedder at glen e. Seems so close yet so far!
I will prefer manduca carrier.

so what's ur gynae's recommendation & what's ur decision?

so what's ur gynae's recommendation & what's ur decision?
There are indeed improvements on stem cells in the recent few yrs.. but overall we still prefer to donate out. (syem cells has not advanced to the stage that it can be grown yet. And oso if there are any crisis that need stem cells, 1 dose is insufficient. You may need multiple doses... the one we donate is only 1 dose.
Not sure if you guys understand what I am trying to say. I think best is to discuss with your own gynae and make a decision. My gynae said "worth considering" to me. But hubby and I feel that we shd donate it out.

Hi sis, me am a more silent mum... but been listening to all of u... me been using beco gemini carrier since my no 1 n i find it gd... yest juz went for chkup for no 2 and yest was ard 32-33wks bb ard 2.5kg. Drdid mentioned tis boy is alil on the big side but i juz listen cos still ve to +-500gm though... my actual edd suppose be end aug then become 17aug but if i csect will be on 8 aug fix. I be deliverinv at parkway east under dr wong heng fok. Any mummies visiting him? Btw as for the cord..my no 1 we donate to public bank. So no 2 will be doin that also. Cos though can save life but i personally do not wish any of my children need to use that. But by donating to public bank, we can help the needy.. so why not..

Under what circumstances will edd be moved forward? When bb is on the bigger side? I do hope my current one can stay inside longer cos my #1 was born relatively early at 37W 3 days and was on the smaller side.

I am praying hard she will stay in till at least week 39. . My 40 will be at 8 Aug too.. going for weekly check this Friday and if she stays head down. . No Csec. . If she doesn't. . No choice have to choose date liao..

Hi sis, me am a more silent mum... but been listening to all of u... me been using beco gemini carrier since my no 1 n i find it gd... yest juz went for chkup for no 2 and yest was ard 32-33wks bb ard 2.5kg. Drdid mentioned tis boy is alil on the big side but i juz listen cos still ve to +-500gm though... my actual edd suppose be end aug then become 17aug but if i csect will be on 8 aug fix. I be deliverinv at parkway east under dr wong heng fok. Any mummies visiting him? Btw as for the cord..my no 1 we donate to public bank. So no 2 will be doin that also. Cos though can save life but i personally do not wish any of my children need to use that. But by donating to public bank, we can help the needy.. so why not..
Same gynae Dr Wong :)
How come c-sect is earlier? Won't bb be too small?

My boy is ard 2.3kg at 32 wk and Dr said will have to induce at 37 wk if I want to go natural delivery. Cos I'm small size, at full term bb won't be able to come out. Still monitoring bb weigh.

Same gynae Dr Wong :)
How come c-sect is earlier? Won't bb be too small?

My boy is ard 2.3kg at 32 wk and Dr said will have to induce at 37 wk if I want to go natural delivery. Cos I'm small size, at full term bb won't be able to come out. Still monitoring bb weigh.

There are indeed improvements on stem cells in the recent few yrs.. but overall we still prefer to donate out. (syem cells has not advanced to the stage that it can be grown yet. And oso if there are any crisis that need stem cells, 1 dose is insufficient. You may need multiple doses... the one we donate is only 1 dose.
Not sure if you guys understand what I am trying to say. I think best is to discuss with your own gynae and make a decision. My gynae said "worth considering" to me. But hubby and I feel that we shd donate it out.

I see. thanks for sharing. my gynae also sort of recommend storing if $$ is not an issue.

Which brand of

1. Baby laundry detergent
2. Liquid washing detergent
3. Baby wipes
4. Milk bottles

Would you ladies recommend? Where do you all usually buy from and how much?
Anything to note when purchasing?

Thanks!!

Which brand of

Thanks!!

1. Baby laundry detergent - kodomo
2. Liquid washing detergent - kodomo
3. Baby wipes - kodomo n pigeon
4. Milk bottles - tommee tippee & avent

Which brand of

1. Baby laundry detergent
2. Liquid washing detergent
3. Baby wipes
4. Milk bottles

Thanks!!

I use pigeon for everything. usually buy in bulk at bb fairs.

Milk bottles - what's the difference between Medela, Philips and tommee tippee bottles ah? I read something abt the flow of milk, and Medela is the best for newborns because its not so easy for the milk to flow out and hence requires newborn to put in more effort. I bought a Medela freestyle but bought tommee tippee bottles that were on sale in mothercare. And also got the Dr browns starter pack... Should I sell them away to buy Medela only?

And thanks!! I'll look into kodomo and pigeon. Pigeon seems to be pricier than the rest hor?

Baby fair cheaper than robinsons with 20% and vouchers even?
I read that kodomo and pigeon don't dry up unlike the rest..

Last edited:
Milk bottles - what's the difference between Medela, Philips and tommee tippee bottles ah? I read something abt the flow of milk, and Medela is the best for newborns because its not so easy for the milk to flow out and hence requires newborn to put in more effort. I bought a Medela freestyle but bought tommee tippee bottles that were on sale in mothercare. And also got the Dr browns starter pack... Should I sell them away to buy Medela only?

And thanks!! I'll look into kodomo and pigeon. Pigeon seems to be pricier than the rest hor?

I stick to pigeon mainly coz of the steriliser bundle. prefer pigeon steriliser to avent steriliser coz can throw everything (incl bowls, sippy cups, etc) into the main section to sterilise. then lazy to shop different brands so everything also buy from pigeon (bottles, bottle cleaner, wipes, detergent, utensils, etc). & usually bb fair got give freebies (weaning set, etc) if u buy above a certain amt, so lagi stick on with pigeon for weaning.

for newborn I also using medela bottles coz of the medela freestyle pump. meaning medela 150ml bottle + slow flow teat (got abt 3) or pigeon 160ml bottle + SS size teat (got abt 3), then later move on to pigeon 240ml bottle + M/L size teat (got abt 8 for my #1 currently)..

I oso bought pigeon sterilizer for the same reasons ie can sterilize diff sizes. I heard from my fren just need to ensure to clean the bottom part from time to time as rust from our tap water can gather there.

I been using pigeon laundry detergent and it's got quite a nice gentle scent.

Baby fair got bundle deals? Not sure if the one this weekend is any good. Anyone gg?

I oso bought pigeon sterilizer for the same reasons ie can sterilize diff sizes. I heard from my fren just need to ensure to clean the bottom part from time to time as rust from our tap water can gather there.

I been using pigeon laundry detergent and it's got quite a nice gentle scent.

Baby fair got bundle deals? Not sure if the one this weekend is any good. Anyone gg?

yep. I use lemon juice to clean the heater plate. juz squeeze 1 lemon, let it stand for ~1hr then use a cloth to wipe off. :)

think I probably going to the super mom bazaar in late aug to stock up on pigeon & pampers ba.

Hi for bb laundry we been using eother kodomo or AHD. Pigeon only milk bottle n steriliser. Cos thr liquid soap too watery. Not nice. Liquid wise is puree/tollyjoy... baby wipes if kodomo have the promo in watson now u all can stock up. Worth it. If u all got go jb then can stock puree from there. Very worth for $$.been usin tt for my no 1 all along.. nw no 2 also follow suit

Any advice or tips for easy tear nippple?
Its my 1st pregnancy and now wk 34, hopefully when breastfeeding nipple will not tear else bb will be drinking my blood too

I m looking to store my baby's cordblood and i used stemcord for my first born and now i am thinking should i switch or stick to the same. Thinking to change to Cordlife so that i wouldnt be putting all eggs into the same basket. any feedback on cordlife?

I read that Dr Browns is good, but just that cleaning is tougher?
Cos' there's an extra stick inside?

Right now I have tommee tippee and medela bottles, will stick to these two brands for now, of cos hoping that bb will just latch on smoothly :)
And just gotten Medela Pump in style, cos' saw a lot of reviews that the pump power is stronger than freestyle.

Back