(2013/11) November 2013

the first time I was on 2 days mc, the day I came back to work, already kena asked by a few colleagues if i'm pregnant..then I just say cannot say anything yet...so they kinda got the hint..
good thing to have colleagues who know about it though cos they'll make sure I don't carry heavy things and will help me out

Fuzzy bear, good to know you n bb are fine! Can't imagine dr Foong getting mad at the HK docs. He seems so unflappable

Mummies going to TMC for Oscar, if u hv FBI or SBI card, remember to let them know before payment. Can get discount, but only for scan. My blood tests charged back to gynae's clinic. Whether got appt or not, best to go early cos still have to take queue no. at the Oscar clinic. I arrived 15min before my slot. Drink plenty of water (4-5 cups from their water dispenser) while waiting else like me must scan 2 times cos first time can't see womb clearly. Try walk a bit before scan so bb lying in optimal position for sonographer to check. don't keep sitting in the waiting areas.

Kitkat, can see bb better, but still need sonographer's guidance cos when she zooms in and points out eyes, nose, left hand right hand, I just see blobs. Couldn't see gender since bb lying on its back. My bb crisscross the legs some more, want see also cannot see.

Wah, I must check xiaxue's blog. She sounds hilarious.

P.T>my #2 i bank with cord blood, just need to tell your gynae about it,u shld be given a kit, forgot i brought it to hospital on day of delivery or pass to gynae, he will do whatever necessary, then cord blood will collect n bank. If u r keen in cord blood, i think if i refer you, we will both get some shopping vouchers if not wrong

When walking on the street, people will tend to keeping looking at the tummy area. Sometimes I have an urge to print a tshirt that state "Stop Staring. Inside Baby not Fats"

My colleagues can tell me today that I should cut down on my food because my tummy is showing and wait no more market value left. ohmigod... feel like crying.

for mummies who intend to travel during pregnancy, would be good to keep a list of doctors/hospitals near where you will be on hand just in case you need to go to one. this advice was given to me when i had my #1 then and was 5 weeks pregnant, had to attend a biz trip in Beijing then.

i will be bringing my 9yo on my own to gold coast for 10 days in June (trip was booked before i realized i am pregnant). hopefully can cope.

Happy, u reminded me I have a tshirt that says 'I'm not fat, I'm eating for two.'
happy.gif
Time to dig it out soon.

Talking about cord blood. I banked for my #1 and #2. Was thinking if i should do so for #3 as well. But #1 and 2 have, #3 don't have. Next time if #3 ask, how to answer? Hmm...

Anyway, more dramatic story. For my #2, i was poked 7 times in total because they could not draw enough blood from me. The nurse was so upset that she had to poke me again and again just right after delivery. Haa...

dreamygal, y the nurse draw blood after your delivery? You are refering to the cord blood, blood test that they do at the point of delivery right? for mine, they drew the blood when they set the IV line for the oxytocin, so that they don't poke me twice.

im also thinking maybe i will save the cord blood for #2 as well. In case next time, one of us need to use it, at least there are two cord bloods saved. This kind of thing is like buying insurance, it's the type of money you spent and hope you never ever need to make a claim.

any mummies been feeling flutters in the abdomen?
I know most ppl say it should be gas and not the baby but been getting it quite frequently this 2 days and i'm only at 12 weeks.

wonder wats the fluttering movement...

Hi MTBs,

Sorry to intrude the conversation. I am a March mummy.

If any of you is interested in getting a preloved Babyplus to start your baby for prenatal education, please pm me. I saw at recent Taka Baby Fair selling at $300+. Letting go at $200 (neg).

More info on Babyplus at http://babyplus.com.sg/

SN : Ya. For the cord blood. Luckily, i am not scared of needle. But both my arms ended up with big patch of bruise loh.
happy.gif

silver : What i have read in book is that 2nd or 3rd time mum may be able to feel it as early as the 13th week. But there are mummies out there who felt it at 12 weeks (i read it online). So could be.

Good morning mummies. TGIF...

Fuzzybear: Glad to know both bb and you are fine. Take care.

Cord blood banking: I did not bank my #1 cord blood as I thought it was for people who have family history of illness that require cord blood and only these group of people should bank their bb cord blood. I did not opt to donate my #1 cord blood as I was not aware that I could actual opt to do that. Felt kind of wasted as it could have save life.

During my #2, I was more knowledgable about the benefit of cord blood banking. Hence decided to do it since there was $ to $ matching scheme from Gov. I will continue to do the same for #3.

Looking forward to go for my OSCAR Test next Friday. My gynae's clinic could not get an appointment for me, hence have to join the queue. Wonder how bad was the queue.

hi piggy..
hmm I duno how to describe like having butterflies in your tummy? abit of fluttering sensation..like some throbbing kind of sensation that came from your abdomen and somehow it was stronger whenever I try to shake my abdomen or like after sneezing...

Hi littleprince & dreamygal
but most people were saying it's not possible to feel bb moving at only 12 weeks.they claim that most people who thought it was the baby movement was actually more like gas...=__=

but weird thing, we never used to have such feeling..
I told hubby could be baby then he say i'm getting too obsessed..=(

Wenny : The nurse at my gynae clinic told me to go at 8am. She helped me book my gynae appointment at 10.15am. Think expect a 2 - 3 hours wait? I also could not get the date i want, so going to just walk in. Mine got to wait till 15th May.

silver : Nevermind if it is. If it makes you happy, then just think that it is. Sometimes, especially for first time mum, its difficult to tell. Especially now where the movement is more subtle. For my #1, i think i started feeling it quite late. My girl is very gentle. My #2, i could feel it earlier. I think around 15 - 17 weeks? My boy is a violent one. He will do somersault in my tummy. That explained why he can get the umbilical cord coiled round his neck lah.

ankh : Could be? I actually see a lot of people posting online that they could feel it. For me myself, i didn't feel it so early for my first 2. Anyway, i think it doesn't matter. If i feel it, i will just take it as its the baby and talk to him/her loh.

Hi mommies! Thanks for ur well wishes. I'm starting to spot brown now. Much less discharge too. Hope it clears soon. MS still going strong for me. Last night hb brought me to eat claypot crab noodles. I threw it all up! So wasted.
sad.gif

Re: blood cord banking
U guys do know that this can ONLY be used for blood disorders right? Not any disease. Also if say the kid is sick with a blood disease, it is very likely that the cord blood contains the same defective genes. Cord blood banking is actually better for siblings and non relatives. I didn't bank in either of my sons blood cord. If I'm gg to do it for this baby, it will be to the public cord blood bank.
happy.gif
also, do rem that extraction of cord blood doesn't mean the blood can be stored. If there's any contamination, they can't store it and u still have to pay a sum (cos of the testing to see if it is suitable for storage). A few of my frens paid $600 only to find out there was some issue during collection and the blood could not be stored. Also do choose the company that stores ur cord blood in multiple packets instead of one packet. Cos once thawed the blood cannot be refrozen. And if u really have to use it, it is likely u have to use it more than once.
happy.gif

Re: fluttering
It is possible to feel baby moving now. I have been feel this baby move abt the end of 9 wks. I can feel baby moving now. It depends on a lot of factors like the anatomical position of ur uterus, the baby, the placenta. Usually skinnier and 2nd time moms will feel it earlier. My first pregnancy I felt it at 14wks, 2nd pregnancy was at 11 wks. So very likely what u are feeling is ur baby moving.

Hi Mummies: so sianz.. my whole office is renovating, whole place smells of paint and glue and something like kerosene.. i heard its bad for baby's development right? but there's nothing i can do
sad.gif
.. can't work from home also..

fuzzybear, StemCord stores the cord blood in multiple packets while CordLife stores it as a whole. While selecting between the two, i was told by CordLife that there is no point to store in multiple packets because if there's a need to use the cord blood, they have to use the entire quantity for it to be enough. Hence, the person said, it's actually pointless to store in multiple packets. Between StemCord and CordLife, CordLife was the only one accreditated by some official association while StemCord is still relatively new in the field. So in the end, I chose CordLife as most of my friends also went with CordLife and my gynae said CordLife is more reputable.

I didn't really know do alot of research on what the cord blood can be used for. but i think with improved technology, maybe it can be used in the future for cancer treatment or what. haha. Since right now there's some research on how the cord blood can generate new cells etc.

No SN, cord blood can only regenerate into blood cells.
happy.gif
checked with my good friend who works on stem cells in MIT. He told me people tend to mix cord blood up with stem cells. They are not the same. Stem cells in simple terms is the cells before they differentiate into different part of a baby. He explained a lot to me cos he is one of the pioneers in his field of research and after his explanation I didn't bother to bank it in. I was already having doubts but he confirmed it for me.

As for how much is needed per treatment, I wouldn't know and would guess it depends on the illness and the form of treatment.
happy.gif
most critically if the kid has some prob, his own blood cord cannot be used if it contains the same defective prob. I think sometimes they over sell the product. I would really suggest u talk to scientists if u have doubts or read research articles.

Oh ya. My friend told me that other forms of treatment is usually better than blood cord therapy. Those forms of treatment are evolving daily so much so that their success rates are much higher than using blood cord.
happy.gif
anyway don't be sold by those salesmen!!

Winkle, can google 'how to absorb voc' to check what are some methods to get rid or minimize the paint n glue smells.

On another note, did your gynae tell u how to handle the subchorionic hematoma? Turns out I have it too, but my gynae didn't say much. Supposedly only 1% of pregnant women will kena this. We should buy Toto manz..........

ankh: u also have ah? how many cm? mine about 3cm lor.. den she nver say anything yet lei.. called up clinic and asked them.. they said if it's serious doc will call me immediately.. so since its 1 week liao..no call from them.. i will juz take it as it's nothing to be worried of lor..

i nver surg google on how to absorb voc lei.. ok.. i shall do that! Thnx!

Winkle, my gynae never tell me size, just pointed it out on monitor, gave me more progesterone support n see her again in 2 weeks. guess just don't carry heavy things. Cannot strain uterus.

sighhhh... usually will dissolve by itself.. but if it doesnt den i also donno how lei..

i always tell my bb to jiayou! coz he's been thru office move, office reno, office full of glue and paint smell.. mummy diagnosed with excessive vomitting.. duhz..

i find that cord blood banking seems too commercialized, I didnt bother to bank nor find out more, so i chose to donate the cord blood to SCBB, it could save another life rather than choosing to discard it. So, i would encourage mummies who do not have the intention to bank, pls donate!

any mummies had their Oscar result already?
Do you need to go back and see the gynae to go through the report in details?

me did the Oscar scan, blood and urine test..and the results are out..but then my next apt is only in a month's time so merely gotten the brief result over the phone with the nurse, she say everything looks good and positive.

so I thought of going back to the gynae only in a months time

Had my Combined Test (Nuchal Translucency, Nasal Bone and blood test - OSCAR) this morning, and the NT measurement was 2.6mm - 3.0mm(2nd measurement), gynae said the risk of down syndrome is high, and gynae has given the option to do a amniocentesis(close to 100% accuracy) at 16 weeks. Was told by the staff at the clinic the test cost $1200, and medisave can be used up to $750. Had a discussion with hubby and we sort of decided not to go for the test, although gynae told us the test is to prepare us, if in case the baby has down syndrome. We have decided to continue with the pregnancy no matter what, so actually no need to spend that money. We tried to google on NT scan and most findings says that within the range of 3mm is normal, and with the presence of a normal nasal bone(usually abnormal does not have a nasal bone), we believe our baby should be fine. Baby is also growing well and heartbeat is normal, limbs seems long, and very active, moves a lot during the ultrascan. Anyone has anything to share on this?

Hello Winkle,

I did prenatal yoga with True Yoga @ Pacific Plaza for my #1. Weekly session on Sat around 11am. Not too expensive & I recalled though I bought X number of sessions, they let me exceed the number till later part of 3rd trimester. I'm planning to go back to them for #2.

Hi Jeslyn, does it help to ease delivery and reduce backaches? I'm only 13 weeks but experiencing backaches at times already
sad.gif
coz I'm not a sporty person to begin with and I'm underweight.. So hoping that yoga can make my pregnancy easier :p..

I'm keen on inspire mum & baby coz its like a one stop station, they provide massage, first aid course, and baby yoga etc.. Specially for expecting mums and after birth..

Winkle, I didn't suffer from backache back then but my #1 was delivered in less than 3 hours. One of the benefits of prenatal yoga is smoother delivery . I'm very active before & during pregnancy so maybe that helped.

I did consider inspire mum & baby but didn't go for that because of the location & lack of shower facility. Where do u stay? Looks at inspire mum & baby has new location at simei on Tuesday evening

Morning mummies.. I'm going for my Oscar today (on my way there as I type actually. Haha..) would like to ask those who did their Oscar at tmc, wat was ur estimated waiting time? Cos I'm planning the time I shld register n get queue number so that my hub can come join me after his morning work appt.

Good morning Mummies!Anyone registered and went for the parenting seminar at Crowne Plaza Hotel T3 past Saturday & Sunday ?I was there yesterday

Xuan, waiting time from taking queue no. till scan about 40min.i was there last thursday at 915am. Pls drink enuff water to get clear scan.

Ok thanks ankh! Then I slowly go eat breakfast 1st before getting queue number. =x the place looks crowded!

Thirdtimemum: did the clinic tell u the chances? I heard there are different level of high risks. Even if the chance is 1/250, it's actually only 0.4% chance that baby has Down syndrome. Have faith! =)

Xuan>thanks for your encouragement! Gynae told me due to my age, the risk is 1%. Yes, will have to pray for a normal and healthy baby. Down syndrome babies may not survive through teenage years, according to gynae, so kind of sad to hear that.

Back