(2012/06) Jun 2012

Kadice, you can sing/hum to him or make funny faces when he's latching and awake. Sometimes my baby dozes off too.

RE Huggies, maybe should write in and feedback about the lousy urine indicator.. haha :p

Ginger, I missed your earlier post. Ya I also experienced shoulder pain but it went away after my post-natal massage sessions. Maybe you can go for massage or ask your hubby to massage you. You can also try leaning against pillows when nursing and use another pillow to support your arms when holding on to the baby.

Sunbelle, re millia, my baby has it too. I don't apply moisturiser which may be too rich for his skin. I just apply my own breastmilk :p It works.

Millia - actually no need to do anything, it will go away. My #2 had a lot last time. Although I know bm is actually gd for such, my mil keep insisting I clean his face whenever my milk spill on his face. She kept saying they are caused by my milk!! Argghh!

Huggis - ve indicator?? I use the blue, red n purple ones b4 but didn't see any indicator Le. New??

Hi Mummies,

Have you heard of "No Rinse Waterless Shampoo"? First time hear it so want to ask if anyone has any comments on it to be used during confinement since we can't wash our hair?

Thanks!

Sherry - I think u meant "dry shampoo"? I use them sometimes during confinement. Last time the one I bought is powder form which I feel is better but now I can only find in spray form. Spray type felt like a hair spray. I ve one used only a few times. U want to buy fr me?

Hi Cyn,

Thanks. But its not the dry shampoo.
happy.gif

Hi Mummies,

just wondering, are you still using sterile cotton wool to clean baby's eyes and face with only boiled warm water during bath time or already 'downgraded' to using normal cotton wool or wash cloth to wipe baby's face with bath water?

Hi Ginger,
I use square facial cotton pad(with seam at e sides) after 1st mth but still use boiled warm water to clean e eyes & face instead of tap water
happy.gif

Hi Ginger,

I've also been using normal cotton pad. (square and round ones) since day 1
happy.gif

Just wondering how long we must continue to use the boiled water and cotton pads till then we can revert to using the normal bath water?

Mummies any idea?

looks like i am the KS one...
sad.gif

It is really a hassle, not to mention expensive. i was at the infant care and they are using normal bath water for a 3 mth old baby so i am really tempted to use the easier way...

Me too only used bath water with Pigeon cotton ball from Day 1. Our bath water can be drunk anyway so it should be clean enough.

I never clean baby mouth.. Ever since my #1 time. My family doctor said if BM no need to clean. But if I decided to clean I will use drinking water (water that I filter)

Ginger, ur bath wash very soapy arh?? baby wash not bubbly de leh..

Groovy: PD say muz clean. will have fungus de. the tongue will be very thick n mouth smelly.

Sunbelle,
Ya lor...that's the problem. In the end, still have to manage them. But now with two, I'm barely coping, and it's tough on hb when I fall sick and can't function.
What is pu yao jing? But mine is not back ache leh. As in, when I bend down to change diapers no problem. But that day, it was like pulling pains, really very painful.

nattan,
ok, that sounds good.
happy.gif
I guess for numb fingers, it'll go away when we stop overworking it? Then, can give it some time I guess.
Your baby so good, don't poo at night? Wow!

Kadice,
Ya, mine also always doze off while latching. In fact, she drinks more via bottle. She can't clear my breast at all.
Also, I feel she's begun to think I'm her pacifier. She suckles, then sleep. When I de-latch her, she wakes up again. Anyone facing the same thing?

Gingera,
I'm not using any soap for baby yet. Just water only for now. Not like she's very dirty leh, so less chemicals better for now, IMO.

yes, yes, milia will go away on its own. My #1 had lots of it too.

Happy National Day everyone!

jomomm, my baby seldoms poo at night, mostly pee. He would poo usually before/after the midnight feed then we'll change him into Pampers so he doesn't need to be changed till morning.

Oh, he treats me like a pacifier sometimes too maybe cos my letdown is slow so he would doze off while latching :p To clear your breasts when your baby latches, you can try massaging them towards the nipple with 1 hand when she drinks. But try to position her in a more upright position so she doesn't choke on the sudden letdown. Usually I can hear my baby gulping away when I do that.

Happy National Day too!
happy.gif

My milk supply is still so low no matter what methods I try. Let pumping and all. Seems useless. Any food to eat to increase supply?

Nattan,
You've got a goood baby there!
happy.gif

Im thinking perhaps why she cant cear my breast s because there's too much for her. When I pump, I can express 100+. She's taking about 100. Maybe that's why? So, have to continue pumping rite? :/

Kadice,
Papaya fishsoup? So far, I've only tried this. But a lot of mommies take fenugreek too.

i think more pumping helps more than any food... but usually the effect is not immediate. typically i need to continue for at least 24 hours before i see a increase in pdtn

Hi ladies
Today bb went back for jaundice blood test to make sure it's really gone. Thank goodness it did (reading was 132). Let's hope it stay that way!
happy.gif

N I also went back to my Gynae on my csec wound that was still bleeding. Although the spot that was bleeding n has yellow smelly discharge is really a small hole but bvos the hole refuse to close up, the bleeding will always b there so doc said its underlying the skin stitches that is blocking the wound fr healing. So she inject me with local anesthetic (which hurts!) n started to open up my wound slightly bigger (I was told by nurse it's only abt an inch to half a inch) n doc went under searching for the problematic stitches. Scary le! Initially no pain although I feel n see her pulling n tugging really hard, plucking out some stitches, halfway thru searching I felt really painful bcos she went too deep then she move away fr there n search somemore thru the small hole. Thru out she kept asking me am I ok, do I feel any pain etc. she reassure me she didn't go too deep till my tummy, she said its only the fats layer since my tummy has many layers under our skin. After she was done with removing the stitches under my skin, she clean up n nurse jus put a tape over it n put dressing. Tmr I ve to go back for change of dressing. Since I left the clinic jus now, I ve been feeling pain while I move or walk. Now I walk like as though I jus had my csec! Damn it! Worse part is stupid hub don't even ask how am I n didn't show any concern at all.. Feel like bashing him! I know it's not his fault but feel pekchek that I'm the only one suffering fr the whole pregnancy n delivery process n yet he didn't show any concern.

HI cyn,

tink better for you to avoid seafood and eggs now . so that ur wound can recover fast leh.

yeah anyone leaviing your baby with a baby sitter huh? what are the tins to provide the baby sitter besides milk powder, diapers, bed, clothings huh?
happy.gif
can experienced mums help huh?

jomomm, i ate fish papaya soup during my confinement already, supply still did not increase.

cyn, sounds real scary. how many weeks already? what is the cause? Hope u recover fast.
Think cannot eat yu sheng so soon before it heals, will leave scar

By the way I have a qn. Do u all only feed baby when they yell & look for milk or feed them once time is up even if they are sleeping/playing?

Cyn,
Mushroom and ginger too. CL didnt allow me to eat these for 1-2 weeks due to the wound. I hope your wound heals properly this time. It's tough...

Kadice,
Then maybe try the pump until dry method like Gingera suggested.

Good question! Haha....bcos I also ask myself sometimes. If baby is awake, I try not to let until baby crying, cos by that time means very hungry liao. So, if she fusses a little or tongue coming out, and is about time, I feed already. But if she's sleeping, I let her sleep a little more. She doesnt go beyond 4-5 hours without a feed. Usually, 3 hours plus at most. Hope more mommies can share about this.

I'm into my 20 something days and milk supply seems to be running lower than previously. Sigh dunno why.. Not even end of the month yet. I always pump and seldom latch. Is this why?

Kadice, I'm taking fenugreek. Doesn't really seems to help. I think that the best way to increase supply is to keep on latching and pumping frequently to make the body produce more to meet the demand. Honestly I'm quite lazy and cannot wake up to pump so my supply just meets the baby's demand... not much extra to pump and store so a bit concerned about going back to work.. may have to switch to formula or mixed feeding then..

Cyn, hope your wound recovers soon. Must avoid doing any heavy lifting or vigorous activities for now till you're completely healed.

Sunbelle, you found a babysitter? You don't intend to continue breastfeeding? How about a webcam to place at the sitter's place so you can check on baby now and then?

Re feeding baby, if I'm outside, I usually will wake baby up to feed when it's time (usually every 2-3hrs). If I'm home, I wait for him to wake. He will make a little noise/fuss before crying so I know it's time.

jomomm, I didn't know mushroom and ginger are forbidden for c-sec? I ate a lot of mushrooms (dried kind) during confinement. After confinement I ate more ginger once my baby was cleared off jaundice.

Hi tanny, yes... you don't feel love for the pump so your body does not respond to the demand. Try to latch more frequently and pump after latching.

Tanny,
When I was full time pumping, my supply remained quite constant. If increase, also around 5-10ml. Why don't you try latching, and see if it increases? I'm latching mine for night feeds now, too lazy to pump and feed baby at the same time, but I know she drinks very little at night, cos breast still full.

Nattan,
Now must hardworking a bit, then can at least BF baby for 6 months. That's my target for now. So, I started to pump and freeze. Also just in case I fall sick. Though I must admit, I also lazy sometimes. Sigh....

That's what my CL told me. She din allow me the Chinese dried mushrooms and ginger for 1st two weeks. After that, ok. But all these things "people say, people say", so not sure what is myth or fact sometimes also. Nevermind lah, since it's done, don't worry about it. Is your wound healing properly? The area around my wound is still a bit hard, so I still need to take care.

jomomm, yes my wound is healing well. Went for my 6th week check up at the gynae and he said it looks good and did a pap smear for me.
Ya, must really try to work harder at pumping... I also sleep latch thru the night. Since baby drinks only from one side, the next morning the other breast will be very engorged and leaks.

<font color="aa00aa">helloagain,
Hope you're recovering well.

nattan,
Some people said mushrooms can cause itch but if you're ok, then should be alright.

Yes, try to pump while the supply is still establishing to avoid supplementing.

For fenugreek to work well, it's better to combine with blessed thistle.</font>

Thanks ladies for the well wishes n advice. My wound got a lot better but today I couldn't resist the mushrooms n ate some. Then dunno is it in the mind or real, I actually felt some slight pain. This sat I will b seeing my Gynae to remove n check my dressing n same time doing my pap smear. I think shld b all ok by then.

Hi mummies, wanna ask if any of your babies sucking on their fist yet? Should we pull the fist away or let the baby suck on it? Its one of their ways of exploring right?

Hi mummy chia, my boy did that too when we removed his mittens. Noticed tat he does tat only when he want to sleep or eat. If he's slpy, I juz carry him for a few mins till he falls asleep or nurse him if he's hungry. Will be happy to hear from other mummies as unsure if I shld stop him if he does suck his fist at other times in future

I've a question too.
My boy, who is total breastfed, did not poo for many days. 1st time happened when he's 5 wks old. Read on net that this is normal for TBF babies. Something abt babies digesting more of the breast milk so less waste comes out. Though daily bowel movements are normal too.
After 4 days, we couldnt tahan and brought him to see pd. Pd said it's ok though it may be uncomfortable for bb. Injected some liquid into his anus and out came the poo within the hr.
Now at 2mths, it's happened again. No poo for 6 days. We injected the liquid and he pooed. After tat, no poo for 4 days. Pd said can inject after 5 days. I'm not keen to keep injecting the liquid. Rather he poo naturally. Fed him some glucose water too as advised by pd but no news yet.
Anyone with similar encounter?

Hi cindy, my boy had the same problem but he is on formula feeds at night. I brought him to yu guo for massage and it worked in getting out the poop. You can google for more information about yu guo. Imo its less invasive compared to going to pd and trying to force the poop out.

Hi mummy chia &amp; cyn, Tks for sharing.

Mummy chia, Heard of yu guo. Will consider as an option
happy.gif

Cyn, what's the long period yr bb went w/o poo?

for those babies who have not pooed, you can try using your finger to poke the area around the anus. This will stimulate their bowels. If this fails, then bring your baby to yu guo

me having a difficult week again. Blocked ducts that just won't seem to go away.
sad.gif
I've tried everything, hot compress, hot shower, massaging, cold cabbage...sigh...

nattan,
It's good to hear. My 6th week check up, gynae also said wound looks good. But I wonder if it's externally only. How about internally? Did he feel your tummy area. Mine is still like quite hard leh. I'm thinking it should be soft, isn't it?

Cyn,
How's your checkup yesterday? Hope it went well, and your wound recovering better now.

Chris, my bb was the same. Juz kept farting n urinating. But no poo.

Java, we jus tried your method b4 n after his bath. Also gently massaged his tummy. N he jus pooed!! Tks for the tip.
happy.gif

Jomom, sorry to hear abt ur tough week. u seen a lactation consultant? Perhaps they can help? Or let bb help by latching on? Not sure if u already talked abt this in earlier posts cos I missed some.

One of my breasts hardened partially last week. Was so worried it's engorgement or worse. quickly let bb latch on. Breast still hard. used a small glass bottle filled with hot water to massage the breast. No immediate effect. Then hot shower. Swell didn't go down. Also used heated breast pack, no use. Latch again. By then, kinda decided to go see LC first thing in the morning. But when I latch on the 3rd time 2 hrs later, the hardening miraculously disappeared! Really believe that bb is the best reliever of engorged breasts but may take a few tries to work. Maybe the same applies for the other methods too

hi all! sorry to intrude, my EDD is march 2013 and i think i need to start sourcing for a good CL as my MIL and mother have already said they would not be helping me out with my first BB. just wondering if anyone has a very good CL to recommend? please pm me if so. many thanks!!!

Back