(2012/06) Jun 2012

Dunoe what happened, I suddeny felt appetite loss and tired, kept sleeping and din feel like eating.

Kadice,
Thx for info on how to count the 28 days. Actually, it is really 27 days only lor...but they nicey put as 28, hurhur....

Cyn,
I've had spareribs in DOM, chicken in DOM (steamed quite long). She also put DOM into my chicken essence. And asked me 2 buy another 2 bottles! Her cooking not bad...

I've had pig trotters twice already. But also eat until xian. She wont allow me to eat overnight trotters.

Do your CLs help to wash toilet and take care of #1?

Sunbelle, ssmilezz,
Congrats on completing your confinement! Im still counting down. Normally, everyday pass so fast, dunoe what past 2 weeks seems TREMENDOUSLY long. Oh man! I want it to complete faster, yet not looking forward to it cos will have to take care baby then... Why cant life be easier? Heeheh....

Kawaii baby,
My CL also needs to rest after completing mine. Perhaps more chances with those who already completed in May?

Jommom - my CL horrible ar! She cook the vinegar pork trotters n reheat n reheat, I think 1 wk Liao! Although my mum only allow this dish tO b overnite (others she said no to overnite dish) but this dish CL reheat so many days till meat n egg is hard n dry! Not nice liao. I think she plain lazy! Always give excuse not to cook soup even lie that my maid ask her not to cook since she cook for my kids n even If she cook, she cook lunch n dinner same soup meaning cook one time only. She is always following the recipe in her cookbooks. Anything outside her cookbook, she don't know how to cook Liao.

Jomomm, let me go n count. Didn't know it is 27 days. Haha. Thought I counted 28. Btw, similar to u, I would be taking care of baby on my own after CL leaves. Though there is a maid at home, she is new & clueless. Think more likely I would have to "look after" her. Haizzz

Finally have time to log in. Been a busy and tiring weekend holding her full month party. But glad that confinement is finally over though my mum still want me to continue with confinement food until 40 days.
Now busy packing up getting ready to move back to my own place. Dunnoe if I will survive taking care of bb alone haha.

Sunbelle
I be bringing her to cck polyclinic for vaccination. Will be bringing her for PD appt this coming fri and will check with PD when to start vaccination.

Milk Intake
I am still trying to gauge how much she drinking. somedays 70ml seems enough to last her 3 hours other days 90ml only last 2 hours.

Kadice
I also do not have enough to latch and pump out. So trying to increase milk supply by pumping everytime after latching and drinking more fluid.

Milk dragon - u want more supply, u need to latch or pump more frequent ie shorter interval. Drink black beans soup, green papaya soup, eat more fish. Some take fenugreek n fennel tea.

<font color="aa00aa">The Hep B 2nd dose is to be taken one month after the first right? Should it be taken before or after the one-month period?

Sorry, a bit religious here:
Did anyone heard about praying to "床母" to ensure that baby z well?</font>

Moi - I only know next injection (dunno for what) will b 2mths after delivery.

I heard of a religion belief that all newborn r blessed by a god who is a old lady near the bed, mayb is same? but we don't pray. We believe she is the one who is playing with bb n teaching him the diff expressions which is y sometimes u notice newborn will smile suddenly then later look sad etc while sleeping.

Jommom - I told my CL that she can cook Dom with spareribs or chicken like steam or stirfry, she look clueless, keep flipping her recipe books! Now I ve to go google online for recipes on how to use my DOM! Don't want it to go wasted.

Kawaii

You dun accept PM.
I can recommand my CN to you whom she did for me in May for 40days
But she has to leave on 6 Aug for her next confinement duty.
Pls PM me for her contacts.

Hi mummies, sorry to disturb ur chats here but I need some help. Is hoping to get some recommendation for good massage lady. The previous massage ladies whom helped me for my previous pregnancies are fully engaged on my edd. Pls let me have the contacts if you have a good massage lady to recommend. Thanks in advance n wish everyone a happy motherhood : )

Hi Mummies,

Read that some of you enjoyed chicken/ spare ribs with DOM. May I ask how does the dishes tasted like when cooked with DOM? Sweet? Bitter? Herbal? Sour? I never drink DOM before but alot of people told me that it taste super awfully (including my mum). So I kinda had some phobia towards it. But reading that some of you enjoyed the dishes with DOM, I wonder if the taste is better after cooking. Any mummies can share your experience?

Raspy, DOM tastes very sweet, a lot of ppl dun really like. Me too. But different ppl have different taste buds. U might like it
happy.gif

Honestly I don't like really the confinement dishes with rice wine or Dom. I dunno is it bvos the CL cook not nice or simply it's not nice. My CL doesn't seem to know how her food taste like also, I ever ask her to try the food she stirfried with rice wine n even she said "oh ya hor, how come taste weird?". But confinement food shld ve alcohol to a certain extent to really ve the "bu" mah so I'm hopefully to get to taste some nice recipes with them.

But last time my mum ever cook with some red dates rice wine n also brandy, they taste really gd. my CL can never achieve that standard lor.

Btw, which cakes u ladies use for full mth huh?

Hi mummies,
Can u pls share w me your bb's vaccination package &amp; the cost, i've enquired the 6-in-1 package fm clinic and e cost is $270 but another clinic quoted $890 for basic package which include all the required vaccinations by MOH...nw i'm confuse, pls advise... tks!

My package is abt $1800 for all the vaccin till bb is 18 mths. Not including gst and consultation. I think compulsory jabs is not a lot.... But the package I took is all the jabs including the optional ones... Frankly speaking I have no idea which r compulsory and which r not...

Cyn,I'm thinking of using sweetest moments or chocz. Seems to be cheapest with gd reviews. Any other suggestions? Btw, we dun need to order cakes to be eaten at our hse right?just boxes for ppl to take home dats all hor

Btw did u all ask your CL to help with the red eggs?

bearycue,

I don't think vaccination is so cheap, the price of $270 probably is just for the 6-in-1 jab.usually package will cheaper and there will be 2 types, one that has all the compulsory jabs and the other that include the optional. I think you will need to decide if you want the optional jab before comparing packages.

Thanks Minnzo &amp; Ginger for sharing
happy.gif

Mmm...Minnzo $1800 like very exp leh, u took all e optional jabs then bb will hv more than 1 jab each time rite?

tink will neef to find out which r e compulsory jabs fm MOH, I oso tink e 6-in-1 quite cheap but if there r hidden costs for other compulsory jabs maybe will work out to be quite alot...too bad my place not near polyclinic if not shld be cheaper hor, sighzzz :p

Hi gals,
I'm having a crisis at home! Need advice! couldnt catchup on post yet. Having a fever and blocked ducts since Monday, and LC over the phone said could be impending mastitis
sad.gif
alth no redness, cos fever so many days. Ask me take antibiotics from GP.

Now not enough milk, have to use formula first. Anyone knows what's the closest to BM? Few years ago, it was NAN. Now the same...
Sigh...really suffering!
sad.gif

Mommies, just to share, dun be like me, don't drag too long in between pumps. May get the same problem as me
sad.gif

Jomomm,I had the same blocked duct problem as u..also had fever that did not go away. U can go and visit the LC..they know how to press away the bump.

for blocked duct, how about taking panadol for the fever and pain relief. and for the the lumps, what about taking a nice long hot shower and let the hot water fall on the breast and you slowly massage out the lumps? That was how I dealt with engorgement and lumps. It's the most enjoyable way so far for me... the shower is really therapeutic.
happy.gif

Kadice, Jenny
Thx so much for responding.

Kadice,
Aft LC press away the bump, did your fever go away?
Cos I call LC, and she told me that fever means a sign of breast infection and ask me go take antibiotics.
And when LC press away the lump, is it painful? I'm so scared of pain now
sad.gif

Jenny,
I wish I could take a NICE LONG hot shower too. But now, still in confinement, can bath with the herb water in pail very lucky already. Anyway, the breast get "full" as soon as I finish pumping. So, have to shower before each pump? That'll take a long time rite? Cos I oso need to sleep, so tired. How do u manage it? I'll try it after confinement period.

Vaccination

I think $1.8k is not too bad considering it includes all the jabs til 18months. If you take one by one you might forget the schedule and baby will miss some jabs. Vaccination can use cda so it shouldn't be so hard on the pocket.

Jomomm,

My LC suggested to me before that if you want to reduce engorgement, use cold apply to 'cool' the breast. So basically, hot apply to encourage flow and 'loosen' milk in breast. Cold to slow it down. If your engorgement is too fast try putting cold veg pack. It worked for me. Dun use cabbage coz it reduce milk pdtn. To remove hard lumps, is as what others has suggested, massage during hot shower.

I went to taka fair but there was not many carrier sample to try out, anyone knows where has a relatively large carrier sample to try before we can make a purchase?

Jomomm, yes fever would subside as your lump gets smaller after they press away for u. The LC also asked me to try pressing away myself when I called them over the phone. But when I went down, they were quite helpful. Dun worry abt the pain. As compared to the ordeal we went thru during labour,this pain is bearable
happy.gif

jomomm,
I didn't follow the confinement rules at all, whether it's in food or showering etc. As for showering, I shower with washing hair twice everyday. I close all the windows and doors to make sure no wind draft. and quickly blow hair dry after shower. At most, avoid direct fan wind 30 mins after shower. (that's what I read online)

Engorgement and lumps don't last forever anyway. Cos I don't pump, only direct latch, it should signal the brain not to produce too much the next time and slowly regulate the production to match the demand. There is no real need to pump out to store milk the first month if you are on maternity leave right, unless for the one or 2 times you want to go out for a breather without the baby?

I had mastitis for my first baby. I had very deep intense pain shooting right through the breast to the back, high fever and aching bones, very flu like symptoms. so if not as extreme, using panadol followed by a hot shower and a nap, for the fever might be enough for a quick relief. of course if doesn't work, going to LC would be best.

Currently using merries diapers, can mommies share how do they compare with goon diapers in terms of absorbency, comfort, indicator etc? How about nepia? Thanks
happy.gif

hi cyn,

you can go to the GPLS website where there are lots of confinement reciepes. oh yes, no need to pm me the emergency number as my fren gave me alreadly and i oso made appmt to see dr cheng.

hi smilez and nattan,

how are you coping with your newborn huh? anyone helping u huh?the night duty is quite tiring ..

any tips to prolong the baby feeding time huh? any idea huh?

hi jolene,

merries is good but more pricey. pampers oso good. i am using pampers now...yeah drypers the size really small ..its small size is equal to pampers new born lor..so have to test it out before u know it.....

anyone been to taka baby fair huh? any good buys there huh? got wipes on offer huh?

Hi All,

I'm a Nov 2010 a Jun 2012 mum. Those with breasts blocked duct prob can go to Mdm Rokkiah. She will remove ur block duct, pls do not wait till fever comes or pus in the breasts.

I see her for my 2 births... she is very gd. LC will only advise you to latch &amp; massage but they do not do compression &amp; expression. LC can't solve my block prob. Anyway, Mdm Rokkiah do not do housecall now. You can find her at 180 Joo Chiat Road.

cyn : is okie cos i am seeing him soon heheeh and my fren oso his patient too...we all stay in the east...

serene : natal essential is good in their confinement catering ..u can try them..their portion is enuff for two persons too
happy.gif

Hi sunbelle, haven't really been logging in here much.. just happened to see your post..

I think me and hubby have been coping quite well with our baby. He only cries when hungry or dirty, so it's been quite ok so far. Yes night feeding is tiring, but I learnt how to sleep latch him, so at night he sleeps between me and hubby, and when he's hungry I just latch him while lying on my side. So far it works and he wakes only a couple of time before morning and I can rest easier without getting up to feed him. Before bedtime, I also feed him ebm (he now drinks about 3oz or about 100ml) and this helps him to sleep from 12+ till 4+am. I normally will latch him around 4+am and 6+am and get up to pump the other side.

Are you seeing Dr Cheng Tai Kin of Kinder Clinic at PEH? My son also sees him now
happy.gif

I went to the Taka fair but didn't see anything special...same as previous Taka fair.

Hi ladies!

It's coming to a week since our CL left. It was sure a sad goodbye - she missed our baby and we missed her help. :p She also called the next day to find out if we are ok.

Nattan

Haven't seen you around!
happy.gif
Am glad things are going well for u. Practice makes perfect and I really have to say we women are a powerful bunch of people who go all the way for our babies.

Sunbelle

I have been coping on my own. Even the night duties. My hub helps by taking over watching over the baby in the evening after I give her the 7pm feed so that I can eat dinner and pump.

How's your daily routine like? You coping well so far?

Thankfully my girl is like an alarm clock - once we figure out what times she's hungry and the rest of the time, if she's fussing, she's probably wanting to be carried or sleepy.

My girl now drinks around 80ml. Her typical feeding times - 6+am (first bottle feed / first pump for me) , 9am (bottle feed), 11am (bottle feed/shower time). She seldom naps in the mornings and will either sit on her bouncer for short periods else will spend time to interact with her.

1+am (latch) - will co sleep with her after she latches, we both get a nap of around 3 hours and then 4+am (latch). She will remain awake most of the evenings by then.

7pm (bottle feed) and I will pump, 9am (bottle feed) and we will swaddle her for bed. I will dream feed her around 12+ (bottle feed), she will not be awake yet or even cry for milk so just need to burp and put her back. She will sleep through till 3+to4am. I will also pump at around midnight before I sleep.

Diapers

I'm using Huggies now. I actually like Pampers but it's really quite ex. I heard good things about Merries - got a sample but yet to use. Huggies is pretty decent.

I did not go to the Taka fair but hubby did. We stocked up on the Huggies Diapers - quite cheap. Will be getting taka to deliver.
So far, I get around maybe 6-7 hours sleep throughout the day. Every night around 4 hours so actually quite decent enough for me to function. Hopefully, she can drag out her night feed soon.

Phew, simply hadn't had time to on my laptop cos too lazy. Have been watching my dramas or surinf on ipad or iphone while I pump or when I have time (which is not much). Really need to multitask.

Hi Ssmilezz, yeah.. agree that mums will go all the way for their babies! I also am amazed at the energy I have waking up to feed or pump when I'm usually one who cannot function with anything less than 7 straight hrs of sleep! Good to know that you're also coping well. My hubby and I keep a log book of our son's meals/pee/poo times so that we can try to establish some pattern. Looks like you got a schedule with your girl already. Hopefully we will have a routine soon too.

Agree that Huggies is not bad after Pampers but I don't like their urine indicator.. it's very hard to see whether the diaper is soaked. Sometimes I have to stick a finger in to find out :p Merries is great but expensive, so is Goon. Fortunately I stocked up on some Goon during a Gmarket sale. Another brand you can try is Nepia, heard that it's not bad (Japanese brand so should be better?). I've yet to try it but so far other mummies have said it's not bad. I might go get more Huggies at the Taka fair too since I'm going again to buy a swing/bouncer.

hi nattan,

yes, you are right. we are seeing dr cheng at PEH too hehee
happy.gif
handsome doctor hahaha yo, good to hear from you too heheehe

Hi Smilez,

I have been coping with all the night duty myself too cos hubby been busy with work and dun wan him to tire himself out. yeah lucki these few days mum around cos i sprain my back when tapping baby to sleep one night from my back...guess there is no shortcut and i went to see the tui na doctor but appointment is full leh....lucki mum massage for me and next day i am okie liao.....

yes Smilez, mi oso constantly looking out for diapers promotion each day and checking the newspapers on thursday for NTUC promotion and Friday for cold storage one...seems like i become an auntie liao heheheh

nattan : fully agree with you that mum can go all the way..like u i tot i cannot function with less than 6 hours sleep cos last time when preggie i slept a lot a lot leh..surprise lor ..we also keep a logbook on the poo/milk and pee jus tat the timing changes each day no regular one.....

mi oso hope to go taka fair hehe but havent bring baby out yet..so a bit scary i feel hehe but there mus always be a first time hahahah
happy.gif
taka should have good nursing room right huh? have u all brought your baby out huh?

Sunbelle.. I've been bringing my baby out every weekend fri-sun since she turned one month cos I was kinda bored at home everyday.. Need to go out. If I could drive I'd bring her out on weekdays too
happy.gif
but not too long each time incl journey abt 3-4 hrs max

Most shopping centers have nursing rooms, I usually refer to this review before I go out to check out where are the better ones.

http://www.madpsychmum.com/p/nursing-room-review.html

<font color="aa00aa">Yes, please share if there are diapers promotion. Didn't know NB baby uses them much more than what I've anticipated.

My son is also like an alarm clock, esp. in the night. He typically nurses every 2 hrs (in fact, only 1 hr 45 mins).

Had a hard time handling him last night as he cried very hard from 7+pm to 10+pm. Nothing pacified him &amp; I was trying very hard not to lose my patience. Not sure if he was colicky, over-tired or tummy is unwell &amp; he refused to nurse. Was at my wits' end. Think after 3 hours, he was tired from the crying &amp; slept till 12+am before reverting to his night-time 2-hr routine.

Hope it won't happen again. Any tips to calm him if it does?</font>

<font color="aa00aa">ayurazzz,
Thanks for sharing on the nursing rooms review. I used to keep a list during my #1's time too but that was very long ago. Yours will be very handy.</font>

Nursin rm - I like Isetan the best. As for Taka, the small rm is shared with other mummies n only a curtain is used instead of a door for the entrance of the rm. so since all mummies in same rm, it's I see u u see me lor. Isetan is private rm with door that u can lock. Last time when my #1 were Still v young when I went Taka, then I not used to latch outside Infront of others so I v 手忙脚乱 n bb kept crying so loud. So paiseh.

Diapers - I still like petpet n MAMYPOKO the best. Petpet is for day use, it's cheap n gd. MAMYPOKO is for outdoor or nite use, the cotton is gd. But for 1-2mths I will use purely petpet since they poo so frequently, i don't need one to last many hrs since they poo every feed which is every 3hrs

Moi - I heard colic crying will happen almost the same time every nite. N they will curl up n cry like in pain. Mayb tummy ache? Try YU Yi oil? if really colic, u may want to give gripe water or anticolic medi. Ur bb latch or bottle feeding? Or mayb he want to b burped?

Back