(2011/10) Oct 2011

1d1r,

oh man.. 1yo! tough for the mummy. i feel tired just thinking about it. haha! :p

minidiary,

popular singapore has this also. my mum bought it.

starry,

yeah this is very good cookbook. should get it! haha so fast talk about confinement liao [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

hi mummies...i know its early...but have you consider natural or c sect??

as a first time mummy, i dunno anything abt it.... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

KWXY, I'm opting for natural! It heals faster I heard. Somehow the idea of slicing my belly doesn't appeal to me at all!

KWXY, natural for me!

For natural, at most you will get a small slit at the perinium. It will heal within a week or two.

For csection, it is considered major surgery cos they gotta slice through your muscles and womb. Recovery takes 1 - 3 months.

The pain factor during recovery for csection is terrible! It's just like recovering from any major op.

So for me, if possible, natural. c section is reserved for emergencies (like breech baby, etc).

yea.. the hours of labour pains for natural birth are definitely shorter than after surgery pains of a csection I think..

My mom couldn't take the labour pains after her first kid (that's me!) and opted for csections for her next two kids despite the longer recovery. I tortured her for 2 whole nights! Hahaha! I hope I won't get my retribution! :X

Tabbyz, my mum had pretty short labour with me but she is still sore that I interrupted her buffet lunch! hahahahaha!!! So she always ask me to bring her go eat buffet!

Honestly, I din wanna act hero and tahan the pain. Once I felt uncomfy, I ask for epi. And it was heaven! once I had epi, I dilated fast & delivered within 3 pushes :D

im having severe slipped disc problem...had a major surgery 3 years bk and had a silicon to act as a disc in my spine. Recently it relasped, like 4 months bk...im in pain again.

Wondering epi will bring more harm to my spine problem...epi inject into the spine right??

prettymum, you're not alone. I also not taking the Duphston ler but still am sufering from severed MS.... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

prettymums, my doc told me, as hcg goes up every 2-3 days...your body will react differently...especially your hcg goes more than 2000-5000miu...then ms kicks in....but not all women get it...

KWXY, it depends on where is your slipped disc. You have to highlight to your gynae and bring your medical records for the slipped disc along to hospital.

Pregnancy will cause a lot of back aches. I had bad backaches as my belly grew bigger (extra weight) during my first prengnacy...

Prettymum & Lizy... me too... I've not taken Duphaston at all and my MS is crazy....

& when I tell my gynae that the MS seems to be improving, he still say got MS is very good sign that pregnancy is progressing well...

1d1r, yes I was told the same too. When I said I suffer from very bad MS, I was congratulated and was told that that meant my pregnancy was progressing well.

Re: epi

I didn't use epi because there was no enough time for me to use. By the time I was in the labour room, I was 6 cm dilated already. Then soon after 8cm.. and doc said no point using since epi will take a while to take effect.

lizy

So good. My #1 very long!! I tolerate for 12hours den took epidural, 3hrs later emergency c sec cos bb distress. Hais~

kwxy > do highlight your backache to your gynae. carrying additional weight is not a joke.

1dog1rabbit > *envy* so happy for you to know that your MS is getting better. Hopefully my turn soon.

re: natural vs c-sect

of course natural is better! go for it if you can, unless like me no choice baby in breech position then gotta c-sect.

c-sect does take a while to COMPLETELY heal. but pain is not there anymore after 5days to a week. so i beg to differ from what 1d1r said about horrible recovery pains. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] in fact, a few of my girlfriends (even my mum) who went thru natural and had perineum cut, they said they couldn't pee/poo/walk properly till 2 weeks later. ouch! then again, depends on recovery rate of individuals lah. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

KWXY,

What does BD stand for?

Re: C-sec

My csec pain took about 1 week to go and wound fully recovered about 2 weeks. Actually, csec is not that painful as some thought but of course if can natural go for natural.

Anyone here used Avent niplette before? I have short nipples and had a tough time latching my #1 so most of the time I use pumping. This time round, I'm determine to latch so bought a niplette to try. Anyone can advise is it effective?

jasmine, I guess I was lucky... My labour was quite drama actually. I already planned my maternity leave to start 1 week before my edd but on the 37th week, my girl wanted to come out.. It was supposed to be one of my regular check up with my gynea. She said she'll insert her finger into my V as part of the check up. Then her face turned serious and asked me if I felt any discomfort since morning? I said no... She said you sure? No pain? coz you're 4cm dilated already. Then we were told baby will come out anytime. She said I could either admin that day or the next. Hubby and I chose the latter since we needed time to inform our bosses and hand over our job last minutes. I still remembered that afternoon, we sat in the study room. He called his colleagues and I called mine. It was like racing against time. Lucky I got all the hand over document done already, so my back up just need to know where the files were kept and how to use them. haha... The next morning, we took a cab to kkh. On the way there, I kept feeling the contraction but it wasn't painful. I still thot it was Braxton Hicks so I told my husband I had braxton hicks again. He said it could be contraction coz the interval of me telling i had one was the same. Then I walked into the labour room, get change, laid on the bed and doc came in to burst my water bag. It was then I felt the pain. Oh the pain, I still remember vividly now...

Starry, I think it depends on gynae's stitching skills. All my friends who went to my gynae did not feel any pain at all. In fact, I did not take any painkillers after birth. My gynae was happily whistling while stitching me up!! :D

A few mummies I know from another forum told me the recovery pain is worse than labour pains!

They could not get out of bed without help for 2-3 weeks. And could not breastfeed well cos can't hold baby in cradle position.

My cousin with 4 kids also say that c section is 100x worse than natural. her first 2 were natural, then last 2 were c section due to breeched position.

I read/hear their suffering, I'm super scared of c section!!! If can avoid, I wanna avoid!

Amici, I used the nipple shield which is meant for mummies with short or inverted nipples.

Cos I my boy could not latch properly so needed the sheild to bf properly.

Quite good [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

KWXY, no BD at this stage at least for me. My doc told me not to at this stage especially since I have spotting. Moreover, MS is killing me I really don't have the mood for that. :p Nowadays, Hubby got very interested in my enlarged boob but I told him can see cannot touch! Touch I'll kill him. :p

amici, gotta be firmed with him. Very painful when touch. somemore gotta deal with MS. Really no mood to be patient with him. :p

1d1r,

Mine was glued, so maybe that's why ok. I started cradle hold to bf my baby the moment she was brought to me. No pain le. Even when the gynae stopped the painkiller drip, there was no pain when I held her in cradle hold against my abdomen. In fact, the worst pain was from bfing.. The engorgement, rock hard boobies and painful nipples. Fwah... Can cry!

tabbyz

My CL did everything - cooking incl dinner for the whole family, washing baby bottles/ clothes, bathing, cleaning up/ burping baby. I had plenty of rest during the month. However I breastfed from day 1 so I latched baby all the way, my CL played no part in feeding the baby. Only about 2x a week from week 3 onwards I introduced bottle feeding and only done by my hb. MIL works so helping me out at home was out of the question. We all agreed that the first month was very important for me to get adequete rest. Turns out after my natural delivery, my uterus position was very low so I was advised to do lots of kegels and get plenty of bed rest... it took about 6 months before I felt that my uterus moved back into normal position. scary. So yes, Cl was a great help to me! I paid $1900

Please remember that if you want to sustain an abundant milk supply, you HAVE to feed on demand. i.e, no sleeping through the night when baby wants milk. mums who decide to sleep through will find out later that they will have problems bringing up their milk supply.

rabbitbb, i think they got quite a few skirt n pants at bugis village, but some quite casual, dont whether u can wear to office or not.. alternatively, try this fashion.. they got rubberise pants too but slightly more exp.. Or just get dresses to work, easier...

Re: Confinement

I did my own confinement at my own home. I want to take care of baby myself as I find that it is easier to identify her cries and know what she wants, next time easier for me to take care.. No mother/Mil/confinement nanny n I ordered confinement tingkat.. I think the key point is to ensure that the food is nutritious.. I didnt take heaty stuff during confinement but end of the month i still grow big pimples.. I bathed everyday after tolerating for 6 days leh, the dandruff was big enuff to be taken off and placed on the table! Cant take it..

Re: Breastfeeding

I agree with tamms that demand & supply theory helps. No amt of soup n medication works for me, only feeding n feeding.. But I got lumpy breasts, prone to milk clogs.. Always kena high fever during confinement cos kept clogging.. Took out 1 milk cyst after I stopped breastfeeding, doc inserted a needle to draw out the milk..

Re: Labour

My labour was 23 hours... My cervix refused to dilate even though i was already 40th week and was put on pills for dilation.. It was the worst nightmare ever.. Heng I took epidural after 18 hrs and then everything was smooth & i can even nap.. I really love TMC labour nurses.. they make it so enjoyable.. I push halfway still take pics leh... haha

amici, BD is babydance.. stands for sexual intercourse

tamms, it's great that you had a wonderful CL! I hope you have already booked her for October!

MiraclesDoHappen, I don't think I can stand even 1 day without shower. I have oily hair, to the extend that my hair might be dripping with oil if I never wash it for one week! My mom told me that she also showered everyday during her confinement and nothing happened to her. Still strong and healthy now. Hehehe! And your labour experience sounds really hilarious la! Still can take photos! Pei fu!

#2 on the way,

I can't. Too clumsy. By the time I managed to put on, I guess my boobs will be seen. Hahaha

Miracledohappen & tabbyz,

I bathed during my 2nd day at hospital. Can't stand my body and hair smell especially after giving birth, the bloody sticky feeling. After 2 weeks I went back to gynae for my postnatal check, the 1st question he asked me was "Did you bath". Haha, guess if I say didn't, he won't dare to inspect my wound.

Miracles, hahahaha! I like the name, happi-dural!

amici, I think so too!!! can't imagine the smell without showering for 2 weeks in Singapore's weather!

Knock-off time! Enjoy your weekend ladies! Catch up with you next Monday!!

tabbyz

haha... yes I called my CL 2 days ago, she was saying 'wah so early you book me already ah? Thank you!'. made me feel sooo kiasu.......... I don't really have very high expectations for CL, as long as cooking is ok, reasonably clean, loves babies and is easy going can already. I can't tahan the strict types.

i showered everyday in herb water for 2 weeks, after that with just regular shower once a day. I was soooooo hot right after the shower I was perspiring non stop. it was so disgusting, felt that it kind of defeated the purpose of shower! but yes please mums, DO shower. its the hygenic thing to do.

mums, did you have let down in the shower??? I found myself spraying milk towards the end. Very troublesome, have to wait for all the milk to finish leaking before I can come out and dry off. My hb always laughed at me.

tamms,

i experienced let down everytime i took off the nursing bra. if don't wear bra, my top will be wet! so always dripping in shower also. so sticky and messy. lol!

starry ya very funny right? I went to bed once without bra, woke up on a cold and sticky wet patch on the bed......... first and only time I slept without bra then lol

Tamms,

Yucky feel lor... Can u imagine not bathing then gotta feed baby every 2 hrs? So unhygienic! I nv slept without bra on during my bfing days. Cos breasts and nipples very sensitive. The feeling of them touching the t-shirt or night gown feels very weird and uncomfortable.

Starry & Tamms, mine started leaking when I was 6mth preggie.... imagine leak for 3 months without having a baby to feed yet!!! My shirts were always wet and even with breastpad, I leaked like no one's biz....

After birth was worse... mine were dripping non-stop... if there's a let down, it's gonna be a flood...

Miracles,

so u will be gg back to tmc again for labour? I also planned to but read from forum the -ve like the standard there dropped alot n the nurses like not attentive.. So kinda scared afterall this is first x for me..

Ladies, can drink turtle soup or not? My hubby buying turtle soup for dinner...... I usually don't care but not very sure if they put dangui inside??

Back