(2010/07) July 2010 MTB

carol, yes.. my friend also said that her son has difficulty coping in P1 as he was from PCF.

so i nv considered PCF. but out of curiousity i went to research coz registration is open for the branch near my blk. the sch fees is $100 more than normal centres due to the enrichment courses.

i also saw the standard of the work & the spelling they have in K2, the standard like quite high, surprisingly. they spell words like "Vertebrate"??

maybe i will enrol her for just nursery and see how...

hi sk,

ya, i think they never learn much in nursery. Thus no harm to give it a try and just treat it as a chance for your girl to mix around [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Actually I did not know that PCFs do not prepare the kids well for P1. When the kids are in N1, what do they have to learn? writing skills in N1 or K1? Hmm..cos now I feel that my son's cc like nothing much into academics. Though he is in the toddler class, but for them, the toddler class and N1 classes are tog. They are doing the same thing and not into academics, no phonics nothing.

Charliebrown.. true! I don't have much expectations for N1. to have peers to interact and play with, is good enough.

If possible, i hope my child can remain in the same sch from nursery till K2, so i am looking for a sch that provides gd foundation for the kids.

Whenever i change her sch, it's such a hassle coz i have to take leave, let her adapt to another environment, and forfeit all the admin/material fees which i paid for the entire year..

If i remove the breakfast, shower and nap time for a full day CC, a normal PG and her weekly enrichment should cover about the same things.

so i guess i wont put her in CC as my mum is able to look after.

SK: yeah, if I have anyone to help me take care, I will not put mine in cc too. And can minimise the chances of falling sick. Cos in cc, alot of time is spent on eating, napping and bathing, etc.

interesting K+ prog... seems like a good prog but does that also mean lots of homework and spelling at such young age?

Hi mummies, need some opinion... Recently I switched kayden's FM to BM instead since I have excess, n I realized his poo turned from the usual brown/black semi solid to now mustard liquid. Initially I was thinking its normal for bb on BM but then again he does take solids like cereal (I do put FM in cos I still hv a big tin n dun wanna waste it) n porridge too, so what colour n consitency shld his poo be now that he takes both solid n BM??

Toilet training: how to toilet train them ah? Cos kayden been getting diaper rash quite often these days even with diapers like pampers n Huggies ultra. See him keep crying v heart pain

Need some advice too: initially I have a helper n my mum to help look after my kids, then suddenly tonight they had a big quarrel n now my mum has moved home n my helper has requested to quit by the end of this mth. And it's also time I have to go back to work so now I'm in a fix. I'm wondering which options I shld take n any pros n cons?

Option 1: put both in cc n infant care (worried about picking them up on time as both me n hubby might hv to work OT at times.

Option 2: get a maid to look after both (will the maid be able to handle?)

Option 3: put no.1 in cc n get a maid to look after no.2 (worried that my new maid will harm my no.2? Or am I just being paranoid?)

Hi Kepsis

I think option 2 is out as the maid will not be able to handle both. Option 3 sounds ok, but you must install cctv or get your mum or PIL to monitor the maid. If no cctv or parents or PIL to help to monitor the maid, I think you will have to choose option 1. I really feel that it is not safe to leave the maid alone with the child at home.

As for toilet training..I have not started yet. I think I will start when mine is nearing 2 years old..soon! haha! I dun really know how to train, but I read about doing the cold turkey way- let your boy be diaperless for a few days, but be prepared to clean up the mess. I heard that this method can train quite fast.

Then after the day training, still got nite training leh..I think is major tiring.

Kepsis: stay calm and cool... don't stress too much if you wants to carry on BF.

Poo Poo - i think bb reacted normal for the various diet you are providing thus generates the poo poo out accordingly. I suppose as long as there's not frequent diarrhoea scenes should be doing ok.

Toilet Training - This one is tricky for me as well because sometimes C knows how to tell me sometimes she just tell me after doing it... maybe because of security of doing it on the potty and in the diaper matters still. M not pushing too hard for C to toilet train as I m sure C will tell me when she is ready to go without her diaper.

BB care: I place C in Infant Care since 3 mths old. so if #2 comes in i will still do the same thing. But if your mama dont mind caring for your #1, send #1 for usual PG class then let ur mama care for the rest of the day. While #2, if your mama is a handful with #1 then put in Infant care. I believe Infant Care Centre's standard of caring for each bb, you may ask the person in-charge to show u each care person's profile and u can also asked to speak to the care person's before you decides.

Questions to spot on the care person can be like anything general:-

- how u pick up a 4-5 mths old bb from the bed/crate/rocker?

My expected reply from teachers:- (Safety)

1 hand under bb's neck behind and 1 hand behind bb's spine to support, then hug bb towards chest.

Take note that they dont pick bb up from their arm as my bb had once "pulled elbow" from the sch becos C was carried by her arms thus "dislocate" at about 6 mths old.

- how u wash bb's bottle?(hygiene)

Expected answer:-

Rinse Bottle, add bb's bottle detergent, scrub, rinse again, put in sterilizer to sterilize.

- how do you feed a 9-15mths old bb?

Expected answer:- (Safety/Hygiene)

Put on Gloves before touching bb's bowl & spoon. Warm bb's food. Place bb in feeding chair, secure. Feed bb with small spoon full.

beannie: agree about the toilet training, now mine will tell me after he has poo. I also believe that when he is ready, I will be ready too. hahah!

Mummies- wanted to ask too- my boy has been coughing for almost 2 weeks. what Pd gave was Prospan and singular. He is still coughing but with lesser phlegm now. Anyone has given your tod chinese medicine which is effective in curing cough?

Charlie: C is also having Prospan(can buy off shelves from pharmacy) I actually feed C with Prospan top with "Pearl Powder" usually goes off after 2-3 feedings... (Pearl Powder kinda exp, so I only feed like twice a mth only)

hmm give bb more fruits n vit. to build up immunity... I notice C having on/off cough n flu since going to childcare (part n parcel of childcare life) so giving C more fruits variety and frequent hand washing to keep clean all times and of cos lots of exercise aka playground sessions and running sessions is good for them.

kepsis,

I would suggest you get a nanny here loh..

At least nanny is 1 to 2 (your 2 little precious).

If can get an experience nanny, it really helps a lot. For my case, whenever baby is sick, i will think of my nanny cos she is very knowledgeable in looking after baby.

charliebrown,

You can try 川贝. You can get it from Hock Hua.

Im not referring to those liquid in bottle one, you have to boil it yourself.

Last time Joy cough for 1 week, brought her to see 2 PD but not much improvement.

Then i fed her 2 days continuously, the nxt day can see improvement ady.

Thanks Beannie and Carol. Feel that western medicine takes long to be effective. But both my hubby and mother feel that tod is too young to see chinese doc or to take chinese medicine...

prospan is a very veyr mild cough syrup which pd will usually prescript for infant - tods, it's not very effective and will take hell long to recover.

luke also recently cough n cough until i brought him to KK and got the cough syrup from the doc there. i put him on pearl powder 1 week once, then also make him eat ketotifen (tonic for lungs and also will increase appetite) for long term. daily he also get his fish oil to booast immune..

after 3 weeks he's finally nt coughing and gain back weight...touch wood until now still haven releaspe..

charlie,

i personally feels chinese medication helps better for young tods. the western medicaine just kills off everything good/bad inside.

lasery: I also feel that I should let my boy try chinese med. These few days have not been sleeping well cos my boy wakes up at nite around 2am plus and coughs..although he did not cry out loud, but after coughing he will make those noise like ah pek and sighs...I think I will let him try the pearl powder first.

kepsis,

I think option 2 is out. I don't think maid can handle1 infant & 1 toddler.

Will u leave your new born to new maid without elderly at home. if yr mil/ mum can stay help u to monitor yr maid, then I think u can opt for option 3.

I hate my mil but no choice got to let her stay with us from Monday - Friday to help me to monitor my son. 8.30-1pm will be at school. afternoon look after by maid & monitor by mil plus some CCTV at home. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi mummies, I'm moving to stay out and looking for a second hand cot for my girl (July 2010 baby). Does anyone have a cot to sell cheaply or give away, if your child has outgrown?

thanks in advance

Xbeanniex: oh didnt know I have to check all that before enrolling them ... Thanks for letting me know! Then for child care what should I ask??

Carol: ya I totally forgot about the nanny option. Roughly how much is the rate for nanny?

Chez: ya I also not too comfortable with option 2 n for option 3 she will be alone with the new born cos I got quite a lot of differences with my mum regarding how we shld take care of the kiddos n my mil is not ard any more.

Kepsis: actually depends on individual but as parents, i think its best we check thru all basic with the sch before enrolling otherwise when something goes wrong we know how to react and with our actions we as parents also telling the school that "i do notice your daily activities n actions over my precious"

that's y C in school is well loved by the teachers being I don't defend my bb if she is in the wrong. i will talk to C with her teachers face to face to make sure C wasn't lying or the teachers not lying ...

Jul'10 Tots Terrific TWO Birthday Bash!!!

Date: 14 July 2012 (Saturday)

Time: 11am - 1pm

Theme: Carebears

Dear Mommies, thanks for your support for the bash and for making the payment promptly. I have already collected payment from all the participants. The namelist for the bash is as follow.

During the bash we would be having gift exchange so please prepare a gender neutral gift suitable for our toddler for the gift exchange. We will draw lots on the day of the bash for the gift exchange to determine who will get your gift =)

1) xbeanniex + BB + Hubby

2) peanut + Hubby + BB

3) charliebrown + Hubby + Kenji

4) sweetkiss + Hubby + BB

5) chelz + Hubby + BB

6) mrslong + HB + Isaias

7) Jasline + Hubby + Jayden

8) Nicole + Brayden

9) Phy + Hubby + #1 + Rayden

10) Pris + hubby + Brandon

11) Nok + hubby + Leola

12) Marie + hubby + Howard

13) Geri + hubby + Renee

14) Ica + hubby + Hannah

15) Jolynn + hubby + Enzo

16) sun tan + hubby + Skyler

17) Jaclyn + hubby + Gareth

18) Grace + Hubby + #1 + Alwyn

19) Irene + Hubby + Nathan

20) Yvonne + Hubby + Ivan

21) Kepsis + Hubby kayden

22) Sandy + Hubby + Luke

23) Eliss + Hubby + Keila

24) Justina + Hubby + Jaden

25) Minmin + Hubby + Aiden

26) Daisy + hubby + Kaley

27) Annie + hubby + Kayden

28) Babycoco + Hubby + Amelie

29) Jaya + Hubby + Ravienna

30) jellypurin + Sydney

Jul'10 Tots Terrific TWO Birthday Bash!!!

Date: 14 July 2012 (Saturday)

Time: 11am - 1pm

Theme: Carebears

Gift Exchange: Minimum value of $15 and have to be gender neutral

During the bash we would be having gift exchange so please prepare a gender neutral gift suitable for our toddler for the gift exchange. We will draw lots on the day of the bash for the gift exchange to determine who will get your gift =) Further details about the bash would be announced nearer the date. Nevertheless if you have any queries please feel free to contact us.

kepsis,

We pay $600 for nanny. I think market rate should be about $600-$750.

This nanny was recommended by a nice forum mummy.

Really thumb up for my nanny and life really easier with nanny as i always get advices from her whenever Joy is sick, stimes we can also ask her to look after Joy if we have something going on during weekend.

Most important is by getting a nanny, you still can work even if baby fall sick.

But must make sure you get a good nanny.

Yes, agree with you Carol. I pay $660 for mine after my boy started solids but I will supply the fish. If can get a good nanny, it really makes life easier. I like the flexibility in pick up time and can request for her help over weekends if required. My nanny even help to pick my boy from my home and send him home if my hubby is overseas (her hubby will drive). Very thankful I found a good nanny.

ya vernie, my nanny also will come to my house and pick my girl if my hubby overseas [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Think we both got a very good nanny.

Usually if Joy fever, nanny will feed her a lot of water, fruits and the nxt day Joy will be full recover ady.

But last month Joy fever during long holidays, and guess how? Her fever persist for 3 days!! I think we as 1st time mummy really lack of experience in looking after our kid lol..

But 1 thing disadvantage is after our kid go to school, we will still need to pay the nanny fees plus school fees.

Next year we need to spend $1k on Joy after she go to kindergarten.

Actually i prefer to send Joy to CC since the cost will be much lower.. But my hubby prefer 1-1 attention, so still will assign the nanny to look after Joy.

kepsis, definitely is the 3rd choice and i will get mum to monitor. since the conflict is between your mum and current helper, i think your mum should be ok to help if a new helper comes along.

i also agree with charliebrown, to toilet train a kid must let them go diaperless. this is what the GP taught me too. very soon they will know how it feels like when they wet themselves, and they won't like it. so they will learn to tell you when they want to pee.

i have been doing that for 1 month before my gal is finally fully trained. She also wakes up with dry diapers every morning (wakes me up 3-4am to pee), so now she is completely diaperless 24/7.

Carol: it is so difficult to find a gd helper/nanny, you mummies are lucky!! actually if there is someone who can help to look after your child, i will think going to CC is not necessary. initially i keep wanting to place my gal in CC too, but i feel that the hours spent in CC are too long... in fact it's longer than our working hours! so very prone to getting sick, esp if it's air-conditioned environment. thinking about it, i think it's better they go half day lessons, come home for home cooked meals, a shower and a gd nap. the food in CC isn't that fantastic...

Carol: Yeah, once they start school, have to pay two fees. Then when add the two fees together, can be more expensive than some full day CC. Will you be negotiating with the nanny for a reduced rate when Joy goes to kindy? I am going to negotiate a "package" with her since my boy just started half day CC/school this week and my #2 is on the way, so she is going to look after #2 full day and my boy half day in future.

hello mummies,

We may be joining our friends and their kiddos to Perth in Jul (during the winter period).

As this is the first overseas trip (by air) with Isaias, I need advice from experienced mummies who have brought their kids overseas esp winter time.

1. Are there any particular type of clothing we should bring for the kid?

2. Any type of medication do you bring along for the trip?

3. For Australia (since they r quite strict on bringing food stuff into their country), can I bring instant food or bread into the country?

4. Can bring water onto the plane to make milk, etc?

Thanks!

Junie,

1. Eh...hot packs from Daiso is gd to warm the little hands...

winter clothes as u mention winter period...but do check the weather 2days before online before u leave as the it's super un-preditable nowadays. we went to HK suppose to be winter time also..but end up super HOT!!!...so ended up all the long sleeve didn't wear n gotta get some tee shirt for him there to wear instantly..

2. medication which i always pack in for the whole family

1) gastric pills

2) diarrhea medication/ kids version too

3) panadol in capsule form ( can disolve in water if kid gt fever too)..pill take too long to disolve

4) the bullet for bb if it run too high up

5) anti vomit pill too..

all these medication can be brought up the plane if u get a memo from doctor.

3. instant food better to keep in luaggage...do check their website on the prohibited food products..

4. we can bring water / hot water in thermal flask on the plane..even milk powder can go up too..like me lazi mummy, usually i will bring a empty bottle up n ask the staff there to provide me the water..heavy leh..

Hi Junie,

What I know is that we cannot bring food to Australia or New Zealand.

However, normally immigration custom would allow you to bring baby food.

We went to New Zealand when M was 11 months. NZ custom opened & checked our huge luggage & found a small packet of rice meant for M porridge. They told us we are not suppose to bring rice to NZ & ask why we did not declare it on the form. We told them those are for our baby. They just said ok. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Our recent trip to Australia, same thing we did not declare our food but the custom officer also cant be bothered to check.

Yes you can bring water to the plane.

Enjoy our trip!

Hi Junie,

forgot to tell you, we also brought quite alot of bread to Australia in our recent trip because M only eat certain type of bread. plus other foods like M milk powder, cereal, biscuits, etc. If custom officer happen to check your luggage, just tell them is for baby.

thanks all for your advice.

If we confirm going, anyone has kids winter wear where we can borrow? haha.

Don't wanna waste $$ to buy sweaters, jackets, etc when I doubt we would be bringing Isaias overseas during winter months again, after this trip perhaps, hehee.

Junie,

Don't be sad lah...try somewhere nearby first loh..try take ferry or boat to nearby island..still can take a break from SG at least..

i planning Aug go genting...guess this time cannot save $$ liao..must get a seat for my little fellow..if not reach genting my leg can chop off le..

Sandy, we went to Batam in March liao...even for that trip, I had to convinced my HB for weeks to bring Isaias.

As a consolation, my HB said ok to a staycation here, so we booked a room in Hard Rock Hotel for a night in June liao lor...also go "over-the-sea", just no need passport....:p

Junie,

next time we shld org a only mummy n baby trip..go wif out the daddy...^^

usually i m the more paraniod kind...HB will be like u wanna bring the whole hse for vacation izzit.=X

but now shld be more fang bian liao since they can eat outside food le.

Junie, it's ok, staycation also fun. I saw your MBS photos. Looks like fun. Expensive or not?

Actually sometimes I wonder if our babies are too young for overseas trips. Went to Tokyo for a week earlier this month. Don't think Amelie enjoyed herself. In the end we also didn't really enjoy ourselves. Of course when we came back my parents commented she lost weight etc etc.

babycoco: the other time we booked, we got my HB's cousin ex-bf who works in MBS to book the room for us. Staff can book the room at a discount of $180++ (so it's considered very cheap).

The one we went last Sun was my HB's auntie free room given by MBS.

I thought you had brought Amelie overseas several times right?

I still don't want to give up. My next action plan is to convince my HB to bring Isaias for a family holiday to HK Disneyland.

At least flight time to HKG is 4hrs+ and food wise, not much different to our local fare.

Recently I went to Korea with Nathan, hubby, my parents, my Sis and my PILs. As my FIL can't walk for long and we are quite a big group so we went with tour group. Was also feeling worried beforehand especially when Nathan had never been on a plane before. We went on road trip and cruise b4 but not plane. But the trip turned out well and Nathan also enjoyed himself especially at places like farm, horse-riding and theme parks especially the Teddy bear museum. Of cos there were some inconvenience here and there but manageable. It's actually much cheaper to bring our kids overseas before they are 2 years old due to the airfare. I only paid $300+ in total for Nathan for the trip.

Personally I find that Nathan enjoyed the other parts of Korea much more than the main city Seoul. The other areas are more spacious, with lotsa animals, mountains, trees, blue sea. Something different from what we have in Singapore. And he could get up close to animals like feeding a young cow, pat a horse and so on. I could see that he was really excited being able to see the animals in real life and interacting with them. So much so that he didn't want to leave the farm. We actually didn't thought of all these when we booked the tour and it was a blessing that we chose the right one. Of cos I had a hard time convincing my hubby to go for the trip and he only agreed as we have many hands to help take care of Nathan for this trip. Good luck junie and hopefully you can convince your hubby soon [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] babycoco, don't be dismay. Even if Amelie didn't seem to enjoy the trip much, I believe it is still a good experience for her to see more of the world outside Singapore.

Junie, I guess it's mainly cos Amelie is such a fussy eater. I remember when we took her to Canada for 3 weeks, she ate mainly her nestle cerelac. She was already 18m then, and was eating porridge. I tried to cook porridge there but somehow the chicken & pork didn't taste the same & she refused to eat. She must have lost over 1kg that trip. This trip to Tokyo was the same. She likes udon but somehow not the udon in Tokyo.

Taking her to Hong Kong & China next month. Hopefully as she grows older she'll enjoy her trips more.

Haha. Tks Irene.

But kid under two, if not paying for the airfare, they dun get a seat right?

Actually if its whole family go, including my ILs, HB's aunties & uncles, my HB will go cuz he won't be the one taking care of the kid.

Dear Mommies that are attending the JULY TERRIFIC TWOS BASH!

The Hokey Pokey team has decided that we are extending the party for 1 more extra hour... because we feel that 2 hours is just not enough!! Therefore the party will be from 10AM To 1PM instead of 11am to 1pm.

Please take note ya!!!

And of course.. no need to pay anything extra lah! Wahahah =)

Sad news is that I will be in San Diego on that day :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(

Gareth will be there still and I will be represented by my mommiee and helper. hee

Wowee, great! Thanks HP mummies.

A pity u will be away though but u will be having fun in SD too!

Organizers, pls let me know if u need help that day.

Hi Junie, yup they don't get a seat but you can request for bassinet. Nathan managed to sleep for about 4 hours in the bassinet during the 6 hr flight to Korea. The bassinet row has a lot of leg room so it's more comfy for the parents as well.

Back