(2006/01) Jan 2006 MTBs

Hi Mamachan, CL and Tracie,

Can give me more details on the storage space? May need such contacts should i choose to rent out my house.....

Please PM me or drop me a message on FB. Appreciate it. Thanks.

BP,
thanks!

hahaha, your explanation of the aircon broken down is so funny but i tink it sounds ok. i seriously do not know how to explain and now if i do hv this same question i'll use your explanation
happy.gif

mashy,
hahahaha, yupz, donated 10bucks to hdb.

Yuki,
I may not need a storage space. Trying to get buyer to purchase my furniture. If i do get a storage area, will share with you the costs.

Rachel, how will you explain in details? I'm keeping my fingers crosses that I need not have to do that ... but there are books that are suited for kids on this topic, n he's read one of it "where willy went?" and I'll use that to explain, but I'll stress on that it's how adults express a certain kind of love to each other

.ky.

Ky
there was a mother in q waiting to pay for her items when her boy caught sight of boxes of condom on the display shelve. her boy asked his mummy what is that and she told him its condom. then all his questions follow after his mummy's every explainations.

his mummy said its to put on the penis, then the boy ask whats a penis.... and u all know la. one question after another and leads to sex and the mummy actually explain very professionally. like why man put his penis into his wife etc etc.

this mummy is my idol, so cool.

bullying
That reminds me of how some girls in my school were like when we were in primary and secondary. Some haughty girls would egg the whole class to alienate one person. Hopefully, their kids are not victims of such bullying.

it's very sad for the child if he or she doesnt have any friends in the school. Things can get so bad that he or she may not even want to attend school.

I guess it's important to teach our kids how to befriend people, self-defense and resilience.

talking about sex
I really won't know how to explain to my boy if he ever asks...maybe when he do ask, it'll be when he's old enough to understand what we are saying.

Probably it's appropriate to mention that it is something that a daddy and mummy do when they are married and a way of showing love? Really depends also on what your personal beliefs are with regards to sex before marriage and sex after marriage.

Kids these days know alot at a very young age...doesn't help with the kind of shows that advocate love = sex.

I read in a recent newspaper article that a boy as young as 6 years old tried to have sex with his 2-year old sister!!!! I was like...woah!!!! And it makes me wonder how would he have known "how to"... could be from watching the shows that the adults watch or maybe, could he have seen his parents in the act from sharing room with them.

Rachel
haha, yah, that mom sounds really cool... how old was the boy anyway? I'll probably let my hb explain to our boy with regards to the Condom qn. LOL!

Tracie
It was nice to meet you at HDB yesterday. It's been a long while since we met up. My hb was like nudging me and going, "eh..eh..your forum friend's hb" LOL, then I realize it was you both!

Now am counting down to my first appt for my new place this Saturday!

Hi Rachel,

I have the same concern as MamaChan ... how much will the child receive and interpret the information provided? Will he go and try it out himself ... u know how curious kids are and esp at 6-yr-olds, they'll tell u that they are BIG boy already (n honestly, I'm find the male brain very difficult to crack). I do tell my son the proper term is penis n how he should protect himself against abuse in male toilet ... we just recently talked over dinner when I go thru' with him privacy on why people should not run ard naked n why he must wear underwear ...

.ky.

hi mummies,
me a sahm to 2 girls one born in jan 06 and another in may 07. was doing a search on chinese enrichment lesson when i chanced upon this thread.

let me intro my older girl. she is currently with bethesda katong kindergarten and has been with shichida since she was 1 yr old. and attending music lessons at seimpi and speech & drama at julia gabriel.

interested to send her to yuquan as i was very impressed with the video i saw on their website. 3 yrs old kids able to recite idioms, san zi jing etc. but not sure if my girl will be able to recite if she attends the weekly class as those kids are from their preschool?
any mummy sends their kid to the preschool and how's their english programme? quite interested to send my girl there for the half day programme but worried abt the english.

Cawaii
My boy is with the cc at yuquan. I would think he is bilingual. No need to worry about English as the teacher is Malay or Indian, no way they can use other language and the Chinese teacher not allowed to use English

Sex Education
I think it's something we have to talk about and reinforce from time to time. How boys and girls are different, why boys cannot anyhow touch girls even though it means playing rough and punching the girl in the chest as an accident during rough play, etc etc. I doubt it's going to be a once off thing where we talk about it and expect them to understand immediately and to remember for life.

I remember my mom talking to me about menses when I was like 9 years, I was totally clueless and keep expecting to see red urine or something... I got excited when I saw really orange pee (pardon me)...but I didn't get to have my period till when I was 12yrs... but from time to time, when I'm alone with my mom in the car, she would talk about not letting boys/men anyhow touch me, should learn to love myself...all the way till secondary school, she would still talk about it at times with me. But about sex, not much details on her part.

But more imptly she was promoting abstinence since I'm from a Christian background.

I think it's something I would highly encourage my boy too when he's that young, impressionable, puppy love age. I think all the more someone should be around at home, setting house rules like friends especially the opposite sex permitted in the living room and not bedroom, etc etc.

Like I mentioned, it's dependent on how "open" or "narrow-minded" we are on this matter.

mummies
wow lots to catch up!!

tracie
congrats on getting your new place...finally found something u want...

re sex education
i also dunno what to say leh. there are times when we were watching tv and these sensitive scenes came on. i will usually pull jh away or just switch off the tv. really wouldn't know what to say leh...maybe they shd have some course to teach parents how to react...

CL, mamachan
wow all the work that goes into moving house! makes me feel that i dun wan to move house..but i m hoping that i can move to my mum's palce next year after my sis moves out..at least when i rejoin the workforce i will feel more peace of mind as my mum's maid will be ard.

mamachan

when i first had my menses, i thought i was going to die! hahaha. Coz nobody told me that i was supposed to bleed or anything abt menses. So think it's important to educate the gals abt menses at least.

hi mummies,

I know some of u send your kiddos to St Joseph Kindergarten ... can I get some feedback, regardless positive or negative abt the place? If u have left or intend to leave, why?

.ky.

sy
LOL...I asked my hb the same qn that Belinda first asked us. He was like, "I dunno also...maybe just say it's something married adults do lor i.e. daddy and mummy do". As they grow older, I guess it'll be slightly more detailed but have to be consistent i.e. married couples do that.
Then hb asked me, in the first place, why are we watching such programmes on TV in front of them??

I had to remind my hb that nowadays television programmes just show scenes that insinuate love making, though not the R-rated type, but the passionate kissing scenes and showing some flesh is enough to rouse their curiousity and they grow up thinking it's the norm in a bf-gf relationship.
We as adults think it's nothing but there's lots of explaining to do to our young and impressionable kids!

HouseMoving
Better start to sieve through things you don't want or have not been using for the past 5 years and throw them all out now, especially if you have plans to move in future! Packing is no fun and it's no joke! I've been throwing away lots of useless things and paper and documents from 5 years ago which is not impt to keep anymore...throw and throw...and after packing 28 cartons, 3 big Ikea plastic-see through containers and 2 medium Ikea plastic containers, I still feel like we are only 60% packed! Aiyoh! stress man... hope I can see the light at the end of the tunnel when we move to my mom's...least I know what are the balance I can pack into boxes.

Mashy
yes, must educate on the girls about menses. I remember in primary school we had a girls' talk by nurses that talk about period, etc etc. Started as young as P4. BUT we are still abit clueless leh...
My cousin best, got her menses before her 9th Birthday!!! She totally freaked out!

hi mummies...wow lots of posting.

rachel - forgot to tell you that i have long cast my vote!
happy.gif
ur blog is really good...u must have invested lots of your time on it. i can tell that you enjoy writing too.

mamachan - hee..i will have no idea how to explain either. i told hb its his job to explain since there are 2 boys. haha...now i also told him...sooner or later..he will have to bathe the kids. when they grow older, it's just not right for me to bathe them. haha...trying to shirk the responsibilities.

tracie - congrats to finding a new hm. it really help to save lots of money staying near our parents ya!

wenyl/sy - zoophonics holiday prog is out. i am enrolling Caleb for both programmes and including J for the dec 7-11. will have to sit in with J though.

chicken little,
thanks for the reply. btw also wanted to check with you on nanyang primary as i think i saw in the earlier post that you have an older child there. how's the school and teachers? is their curriculum stressful? i am still deciding b/w nanyang and tao nan.

Cawaii
You pm me and I will answer you on your query for Nanyang. She is only P1 there so the stress level is not there yet. plus there will be a change of principal from next year. From my fren in Tao Nan, it seems more stressful in Tao Nan.

Nanyang and Tao nan very far apart in terms of location. Where do you stay ? Does location assist you in the decision ? You and hb are ex student of both school ?

mamachan
the boy is about 5-6YO.

ky
how much the kid understand isn't something we can control. jus ride with the wave, if he show leak of understanding in our answers, simplify n explain again. but i believe as a parent, our duty is to provide the information they needs. not running away, brush the kid aside or make up a story jus bcoz we don know or don want to answer.if they cant get answer from us, they will look elsewhere which could give them the negative side of things.

giving them the right value is what we do, and what we can give them is the ability to differenciate right and wrong.

my parent nv nv talk to me about sex or menses and i was so confused and scare when i had my 1st menses. but so how, i know the values and importance of protecting myself and on sex after marriage =p heng ar lol

ssf
thanks =)

ky
we can chat more on st joseph, dylan is with them. email me ya =)

Hi Rachel

agree that we should not run away or make up stories ... but sometimes it's abt picking the right time to discuss this and sharing information appropriately, and also on the kid's personality. Some hardcore kid, if you tell them, they'll use it to make fun of other kids (coz they know more), some sensitive kids may have questions or confusion. And a lot of matters are grey, not white or black. I'm recently getting concerns abt how to impact values accurately ... not just abt the qn of sex.

my mum never really tells me any of these too ... she just told me to wear bra when need to, that I had to wash my underwears when I first had my menses ... in fact she never educate me abt menses. like mamachan, I learnt the facts in school but I freaked out too when I first had it ... during a funeral. i can't imagine how i survived that coz I was being scolded by my mum when I soaked the rented clothes and she did it in front of relatives who were in my house then... so, rather I do wish I'll make a better mother than that.

.ky.

re: sex education

i think a book will be able to help u get started. I recommend the book by The Usborne. I got the Body Flap book so far and besides talking abt the 5 senses, it also talks abt having a baby. When he's older, then will prob get his daddy to tell him more or perhaps more easy to read books.

ky
parenting is one of the toughest task on planet! one method does not apply to all and plus how we handle external influences... tricky ya?

me too, soaked my panty and stain my school skirt when my 1st menes came. really freaked out and nearly break down while i made my way home on a crowed bus... not mentioning the bad cramp i had for the 1st time in my life!

rachel/ky
Can you imagine our moms trying to "show" how messy periods can be? I think that will be gross! LOL. Yes, we have to be better and more informative moms when we have daughters.

Like how my hb was telling me, no matter what the age, the moment they ask us, it's the opportunity to explain as according to their age, coz we have their attention. So long we keep it consistent as they ask questions from time to time (as they progress with age. Just that perhaps when they are older, can add-in my details.

But I figure my hb and I will teach our boy to be respectful to girls when he's older. Liking the girl and dating her doesn't necessarily mean have to always make out... etc etc. I sound so old fashion hor? LOL!

mamachan
i guess its the part that my mum d not prepare me mentally about menes. imagine when my menes came, i totally no idea how to use a pad... m stuck in the toilet sweating out how to stick the pad on my panty... funny rit.

haha not old fashion, i stay by this too =)

Rachel
LOL...yah...and TV doesn't help too... they only pour blue liquid on the pad to show how well the pad retains... hahaha. anywayz, if you plan for #3, hopefully it'll be a girl! Then can impart all the wisdom in being a woman. hahaha. *winks*

mashy
i order earth best, jason natural for jx.

CL
aden so cute!!

mummies
hmm all these talk just make me wonder how to apph the topics when my kids are of the age to understand...u know there's tis ad by laurier (or some other brand) that shows the pad in the shape of a flower? everytime the ad comes on, jh will say pampers is like flower...me and hb always end up laughing and dunno what to tell him. we just laugh and say yes...a bit silly hor...

Hi fellow Jan '06 Mummies,

As I've just heard of 2 cases of young boys being abducted in HK Disneyland, thought of warning all mummies to please take care of your children and never let them out of your sight especially if you are bringing them to HK Disneyland during the upcoming school holidays.

First case happened to the sister of my insurance agent's sister's friend. She brought her son (2 yr old) to HK Disneyland. She put her son down next to her and turned around to get something from her bag and the next moment when she turned back to face her son, her son was gone. He was never found to this day.

When I told my sister-in-law about this incident, she said the same thing happened to her colleague. They let their son take the amusement ride on his own and told him to meet them down at the ride area after his ride ended. But the boy never turned up. Both parents searched the whole disneyland but could not find the boy. And sadly, the boy could not be found to this day.

There could be syndicate operating there and waiting for opportunity to strike and abduct young children.

I do not hope to put fear in anyone but just wanted to share to create an awareness and please don't be too lax when you bring your children out.

carrot soup - coincidentally, last evening I was talking to my bro in law and he mentioned abt this kidnapping case too when we mentioned that we just returned from disneyland. its really scary....must really watch out for our kids at all times even when we are in singapore. although i must admit sometimes J can really tire me out with his dashing and running. he is one energiser bunny!

mashy - like SY, my kids are also using the earthbest organic toothpaste. the texture is abit watery as compared to first teeth and i think my kids still prefer 1st teeth.
but mummy here stocked up 10 tubes recently. have to wait till they are used up. haha..

carrot
thanks. me going to disneyland in Dec so will be extra careful esp with my gal. she will run off and dun even look back to wait for us...

Kipnapping in HK Disneyland
It sounds really scary...just wondering if these cases were published in our local newspapers. I think no matter what, in a foreign land, much more in crowded places, we have to hold on to our children.

hi mummies,

carrot soup,
Thanks for the warning! *shudder*, I went to HK disneyland with my boys recently too. I also just read in ST about syndicates in China abducting young boys for couples who are childless or has only 1 daughter and wants a son. To think at this time and age, there are still desperate couples in China who wants a son to carry the family name!

Re. Sex education
I think take it as it goes, as long as our kids ask, just be factual and open about it. I actually don't think it's wise to go into too much details now cos how much can our 3-4 year old understands? Lest they keep asking whats and whys. I intend to buy educational books on sex and related issues that are suitable for kids / teenagers and give it to my boys to read when they are say, 10 years old or so. And then talk to them about it after they have read those books. May be easier than sitting htem down out of the blue to talk about it or wait for them to ask.

Hi Mummies,
Long Time No "See". I had popped by but reading in silence. Just changed my job, so very busy learning new stuffs. J2 is already 7mths old and just started teething. How's everyone? Anymore good news to share?

Re: Sex Education
Like Mamachan, I will only go in details if they grow up and ask again. Else, it will be simple basic info.

J1 had started asking already. Sometimes there are kissing scene on TV, she will ask "Mummy, why they kiss like that one?" I only answer "Oh, it is a kind of kissing meant for adults to show their love for each other." Then I faster change topic or divert attention to other things. Else she will keep asking WHY.

I once heard a young boy asking his mummy alot of whys in MRT. The fedup mummy screamed at him "CAN U STOP ASKING WHY? SHUT UP and look at the scenery outside, stop irritating me." Alot of the commuters are staring at them. Poor boy.

RE: Kidnapping
I think shown on TV right? They had this website to upload MISSING kids as figures had gone up tremendously recently.

Hi mummies,
Urgent advice needed! I am planning to enrol Clare for the pre-nursey group at paya lebar methodist kindergarten at boundary road. Anyone has kids there who can share pls.
Much appreciate the advice. TIA!

hi May - oh u chg ur job? is it flexible in terms of hours? i just spoke to my boss abt my working hrs starting next yr. cos my 2 boys will be in FT childcare and the distance to work is so far that its too rush to pick them by 7pm. i requested for internal trf but dun seems to be in her favour as she said then it must be a 1 to 1 exchange which equates to impossible scenario.

she talked abt flexi hrs and working part time but i am not willing to cut my salary for shorter hrs as i can work full hrs, its just the distance to work that is an issue.
also if i work part time, it will still be full time job to work after office hrs. so we'll see or else hb is supportive of me to take a break for a while. hee...

Hi May,

Wow, the mum must be real frustrated to say that. My experience of asking the kids to stop asking why is that they will ask "Why i cannot ask why..........." So still back to square one.

Hi SSF,

Yup i agree. Working part time - salary get half but workload still the same........the sum is never equal........

krissie

wenyl's E is there. B is going there next yr pre-N. My C was there in nursery for 6mths then i withdrew becoz we couldn't see eye to eye wif the teacher n principal. At his current new sch, C is blossoming well n loved by his teachers.

May
hahaha, once a gf's daughter kept asking me so many Whys...after answering 2-3 Whys... then I started bombarding her with Whys i.e. Why you ask me Why and Why you ask Why like this or like that.... ended up she herself got overwhelmed and stopped asking me Why... hahaha. Happened a few times :p But she knows it's all out of jest and fun.

So far, my boy has yet to ask Why... he just takes in whatever we tell him. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

Back