(2006/01) Jan 2006 MTBs

oops.. i jus called nepia and found that they are even cheaper at $15 per bag of 60 diapers! cancelled my order for goon already.

tracie
hee i also use Petpet for jx. second kid more easy going. petpet cheap n good!

mamapanda
nepia cutting quite tight i feel. for jx i used petpet after 2nd month. was switching btwn nepia S and petpet n i find petpet cutting bigger.

i heard pureen not bad. my neighbour using for her bb since birth.

tracie

i also use petpet for H for outings. Cheap n good. Coz i ordered some fitti premium at $10 per pack, had to finish it. Fitti no good for H coz it kept leaking when she poos. At night, I use Nepia. Still the best.

seems like we all back to diaper talk again! :p
i only standby 2 packs of huggies S size coz fairprice got promotion last mth. fill in the form and send it back can get a mothercare romper..

rachel & mashy, where you order the fitti from? $10 is quite cheap!

and any recommendation on cheap milk bag?
last time used avent but discontinue alrd.
need to find alternative.
thks!

oily
i bought my 2nd round of fitti 360 in Sep from the contact mashy shared above. previously Polyclinic selling $9.90 for a period of time. devan is using it prefectly fine. you might wan to try it before buying in bulk?

diapers
THanks to everyone for your comments. For those who are mamy poko fans, to date, the cheapest mamy poko I can find is from NTUC, going for $24, 72 pieces. As for myself, I think we'll give Nepia NB a try. Afterall, they allow for exchanges (if u stocked up too many of the same size and need to change the size) and refunds if u're not satisfied with their product. At $15 for 60 pieces, I'd say its really a good bargain for the kind of quality they offer.

cord blood storage
Anyone storing cord blood with stemcord / cordlife? I read very contradicting information on storage of cord blood from internet and cordlife's marketing brochure. For eg, babycenter says that the chances that you'll find a match betw siblings from cord blood is 25% while the cordlife brochure states 75%. I wonder who is correct..

mamapanda

i donated the cord blood coz find no pt keeping since can only use for siblings. If u donate, u just need to pay $2600 to get back the cord blood if u need for sibling (if it's still available). And the current take up rate of cord blood usage is not that great. With the lower possibility of a match, there's a high chance that if u ever need it for the sibling, it's still there.

Mamapanda,
I did not bank / donate Isaac's cord blood. But for Matthew, I donated it. I feel that unless there is known family history, particularly among siblings, or genetic predisposition to diseases which may benefit from cord blood transplant, the chances of ever using the cord blood is very low.
Got this from the American Academy of Pediatrics website: http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/jan07cordbloodfaq.htm

* Cord blood donation should be encouraged with the cord blood is stored in a bank for public use.
* Private cord blood banking should be encouraged when there is knowledge of a full sibling in the family with a medical condition (malignant or genetic) that could potentially benefit from cord blood transplantation.
<font color="ff0000">* If banking for future personal or family use, parents should know that most conditions that might be helped by cord blood stem cells already exist in the infant's cord blood and would not be used (ie, premalignant changes in stem cells).
* Storing cord blood as "biological insurance" should be discouraged because there currently is no scientific data to support (self) autologous transplantation.</font>

That's why I don't see much benefit in private cord blood banking. I much rather donate it so that the cord blood may eventually save someone else life, if it was a match. The chances of this happening may be higher than us having to use it for our own.

MamaPanda
I used to use Goo.N diapers for my boy when he still could fit their XL and when their price is right and quality is comparable to mamy poko. They even have free delivery service when you order a minimum amount and you earn some form of rebate to offset your next purchase. But now their prices have increased quite a fair bit. I'm back to buying MamyPoko XXL diapers for my boy's sleeping use since he still wakes up with quite a full diaper.

As for Cord Blood banking... based on calculations, it should be 25% match....but have to find somemore journal papers to support this 25%. Personally, I've donated D's cord blood when I delivered him. I saw no point in keeping. It's like expecting something bad to happen to either of your children.

rachel
Wow! Your blog is so fun to read! Informative and entertaining
happy.gif
Well done!
happy.gif

Hi Rachel,
I am also thinking whether to switch to fresh milk for my boys or not. Cos I find the formula milk are really sweet &amp; it is not doing any good to E's teeth. Just had 3 fillings done again. And the younger one, who has been drinking Isomil, also finds gorgor milk too sweet to his likings. Do let us know your poll results ya!

Mamapanda,
I remember u give A fresh milk all along. Which brand r u giving her? Do u normally warm up the milk or serve chilled? How to warm up the milk without losing much of its nutrients? Any other mummies gives fresh milk, can advise? Tia!

mamachan
*blush* thanks =)

wenyl
have you voted?? if not yet pls hop over and take your pick ya! =>

some ppl choose to give chilled, others warm up the milk. from what i know, avoid bringing the fresh milk to boil, in this way the vitamins and nutriennts are still intact.

wenyl
talking about the sweetness! ha there was once i rinsed dylan's bottle and left it by the sink to wash it later with devan's bottle. what i found was ants eating up traces of milk that was left on the bottle... the milk is this sweet that even ants like it!

SY / mamapanda,
I use EQ for B in the day, nite Nepia / Mamypoko. I find EQ softer than petpet &amp; cheaper. Only $9.50 per pack. Got it from one of the medical hall in West Plaza in pasir ris. SY, u know the one next to ur place?

Rachel,
I thot ur voting poll is for those who are already giving fresh milk le. I dun know which to vote cos hvnt try giving to the kids yet.

wenyl
I started giving Ariene fresh milk when we were in Norway back in 07 Dec cuz she refused to take formula milk then as I was still breast feeding her. I don't warm up the milk for her before drinking but I do leave it at room temp for awhile to "warm" it alittle before letting her drink it so its not too cold. Brands I prefer to give her are Browne's, Farmhouse and Magnolia fresh milk (kinda on the ex side though) and Meiji (kinda diluted imo). I don't give her milks like Hi-LO or low fat milks, etc as I found that they're either too sweet or the milky taste is not there, ie, add too much addictives or other things in the milk. So far, I still think Brown's and Farmhouse are one of the best u can give.

If u can get ur hands on European fresh milks, they're even better. The taste is very creamy n milky.

Diapers
I just hope my #2's skin is not as sensitive as #1's skin. I cant really use any diaper other than mamy poko and pampers premium for #1 as any other diapers would give her very bad nappy rash even if I use desitin original. Without Desitin original and/or pampers premium/mamy poko, she'll develop rashes in less than 1 hour. Even up till now, she'll get heat rash if we don't clean off her sweat within 30min!

Like my first maid used to say, A has the princess's golden backside! Can only use the premium stuff on her backside.

Jshoppers
Anyone interested in a Jshopper's spree? Free shipping for orders above 8000 yen. Thinking of buying some swaddling clothes for #2 as most of A's NB pants are spoilt from long term disuse.

Mamapanda,
Thanks for your feedbacks on the freshmilk. I tried giving E a small packet of Magnolia but he found it too "jerlak" to finish all. I think I will try Farmhouse since hb also taking tat. Thanks!

Mamachan,
Yippee! thats good news cos I am gonna give it to Ben after he turns two next mth. But its not mentioned if we can use Medisave to pay at PD or its just applicable to polyclinics/hosp.

Mummies,
Think I ever mentioned before that my fren started a blog for her sis homemade truffles. Now her sis did a new Hello Kitty chocolate cake for a customer. Its so yummilicious looking! Thot will share the blog here again. http://noirartchoc.blogspot.com/ Her sis says she can give 5-10% for frens...so if u are keen to order from her, just mention my name for the discount okie. Too bad I don't have any gals.

Tracie
I used Big Orange.Paid out front for 6 months and enjoyed 10% off at $180 per month. I can terminate anytime. Min contract is 1 month.

For Milk, aden can take magnolia milk - Choco or vanilla.

CL,
Thanks for the info. I was checking out Extraspace which is near my office. Asking hubby to estimate space needed so I can get a quote from them.

Tracie
Extra space is more exp than lock and store. So for Extra space I din even bother to go. Another reason why we choose Big orange because location at bukit batok so the accessibility has to be a consideration too. I think mine is 1.3 by 1.8 then ht is stand 2.7 m. I always cannot remember my measurement but roughly. I have 50 over boxes in there. 1 plasma TV, 1 dismantled single bed frame, 1 old model sewing machine. vacucum cleaner , car seat etc. quite full as I did not stack all the way to 2.7 m. Max only 5 boxes stacked up.

C.L
Hmmm... I think my space is slightly bigger than yours. I do hope to be able to store them all in. Aiyoh... I now headache with the packing too :X Started moving stuff to put some items at my MIL's place and some at mother's... I am so never going to move house again!!!

wow you got a big unit ah. ha ha mine unit only like a storeroom size or slightly bigger.

Tracie
You should get standard size carton. Label them so you know which one can stack upon. I bought cheap carton at $2 each from ubi industrial

CL,
I was thinking through the things I need to 'store' and gosh...dining table, 6xdining chairs, dismantled beds x 3, tv console, dismantled storeroom shelves, 1xdismantled chest of drawer. I shall see if got Big Orange or Lock&amp;Store nearby. Was looking at extraspace cos near my office.

last evening I also asked hubby why did we even think of moving??!!

Tracie
wow yours is big item. Mine not so big. I forego my storeroom shelves though it cost me almost $400. because I dunno what my next storeroom is like woh. maybe you have to look at the size like mamachan's

Tracie/C.L
Wow...that sounds alot of items. I decide to leave my fridge behind for the new owner. They are more than happy to have it. Still in good condition. So good for them. But once our movable shelves/beds/tables are dismantled, should not take up too much space I suppose?

for me, I'm renting for 3 months.

mamachan,tracie,CL
so funny the way u gals talk abt storage....neighbours....haha

is it really expensive?

re giving fresh milk
i do give JH UHT milk sometimes. dunno whether to switch to fresh milk or not. hb dun wan to let me switch him.

wenyl
is E's cavities due to milk? jh's teeth are really dirty too but so far no cavities. which dentist u going to? i go to one at tanglin and he's really nice. in fact he kept hinting to me to do a better job at brushing...haha..i felt so bad that i m more diligent in brushing his teeth now...

SY

why don't u try electric toothbrush? It makes brushing really easier. We got the Braun one and got C a buzz lightyear brush head. Even when u 'sui bian brush' also cleaner than the normal toothbrush. We brush his teeth once a night. In the afternoon, he brushes his teeth after lunch in sch.

morning!!

wow the talk of moving house, packing and storing sure cause big headache! heehee we just submitted our application for hdb oct balloting... chances not that high i suppose bcoz there are 200 over applicants 'fighting' over 3 units in my selected area!

mamachan,
we offered to the new owner our fridge and furniture etc but they didn't want it. I guess different tastes. They are Indian PR.

CL,
Last night told hubby lets try to sell as many items away as possible. I was hoping to change my bed to King size but MIL objected. She say MUST bring our bed over to the new house and if we wan a new bed, can buy but this old bed still must exist in the new house in the guest room or something. I tot that is ridiculous so i ask her wat if the bed spoil? Then she say can dump it. OK...so ask Meg to jump on the bed more then declare it spoiled.

Hi mummies,

Matthew is on rice cereals and vegetale puree for about 3 weeks already. He's about 6.5 months now. Should I move on to porridge?
Cannot remember how to prepare baby first porridge ... just put fish and rice? No need ikan bilis and all that right?

Queen
I still remember only intro fish into D's porridge around 8-9 months. Porridge I would double boil till nua and then add in the home-made puree of broccoli and carrots or pumpkin and add some white silver fish powder into the porridge. White silver fish is a good source of calcium.

Tracie
Yah...talk about Indian PRs...not being racist or what, so far in my house hunting experience where they are the seller...we had a very bad experience with them. Maybe this couple who bought don't want "charity"
Your MIL thinks that your old bed got "life"...cannot anyhow sell? Keep mattress and sell bed frame lor... LOL

SY
Surprisingly, the storage space was not as expensive as what I anticipated. I'm happy with the price, all thanks to C.L's recommendation, she's really good with finding the best and value for money deals!

Moving house
It's such a headache that I do regret...but one thing that spurred me on is bigger space, storeroom and an attached toilet to the master room! lol! seriously need that and the privacy!

Mamachan,
I agree also on the race thing. My agent had a terrible experience with such a seller too and he gave up. He vowed never to handle such sales again. Luckily mine is selling to them so I don't have a problem. I wanna get rid of both mattress and frame :p

Queen,
Based on my MIL's experience, different babies different taste buds. Meg was easy for porridge - anything with pumpkin or sweet potato will do. Duncan? No no no to pumpkin or sweet potato or meat. He likes plain porridge and just stir in fish gravy and bits of fish and chopped veg.

For 6mths, we normally start with double boiled porridge so its really soft.

Back