(2006/01) Jan 2006 MTBs

SSF,
I tried changing to a less stressful job. From Customer Service to Admin, willing to take pay cut but no one ask me to go interview.

End up I try Customer Service again. Sort of promotion for me. Told them my concern is working OT. Reason why I left previous company is workload too heavy and OT very freq. This new company told me that they dun like staff to OT, as they want staffs to spend more time with family. So I think this is something that I want lor.

If cannot settle properly with boss, will feel uneasy to work there again. Maybe can discuss with ur hb to rest awhile first or find a more flexible working place?

ladies
how's everyone? *wave*

re: working part time
i am actually asking my boss' permission to convert to part time so that i can spend more time with the kids.
i hope the work load can be cut by half if she and HR approve my application.

re: greeting
I find that something is lacking... whenever my hb and I go to pick up the kids, most of the time, their eyes are ON the TV; and they treat us like transparent when we enter into in-laws' house. But, when my BIL/SIL reach home, both of them will rush to him/her to greet her and look so happy to see him/her.

I really wonder if there's anything wrong with us? Spending too little time with the kids? Being too strict to them? But BIL/SIL spends average 2 hrs per day with them only... I really wonder why...

does your kids feel excited when you go to pick them up after work?

Sunny - For me, I wld say hi to C & he wld run to me & I wld then give him a loud noisy kiss as well as a tight hug. He wld then tell me in an excited voice about his day then go back to whatever he was doing before we came back.

Maybe can try greeting both kids when u first step in.

Hi mummies
Phew! What a day! What a week! Today is the Big Day for the moving out of my first home. Suddenly started missing my old home already. The movers were really efficient. I didn't realize we have that many items!! Thankfully the movers are really efficient in terms of maximizing the space at Big Orange Storage which was initially thought not big enough to house my furniture and carton boxes. Turned out that they stacked all the way to the top!! Amazing! I can still put in abit more things which we had carted away to my MIL's place.

Finally settled in my mom's place now
happy.gif
Hopefully we can move into our new place before CNY!

Re: Hong Kong
I know this was asked a few times before. But again...can someone recommend me some good hotels please? Affordable, clean n easily accessible. Also, can share ur itinerary? Thanks in advance!

sunny
Hmmm, my boy is excited when we pick him up from school or even when he's home and TV is on, he would turn his head and greet us before turning his attention back to the TV.

I guess it's common for kids once they their eyes are glued to the TV, it's difficult to peel them away.

As for BIL and SIL, perhaps they seem them as playmates? My boy looks forward to seeing my BIL whenever we go over to my MIL's place for dinner once every 2 weeks... he enjoys playing with my BIL as much as he enjoys playing rough and going crazy squealing and laughing at home with my hb.

Perhaps you could try what Sysac does with C... just go up to them and give loud kisses and hugs... definitely will get their attention.

sunny,

Isaac also greets me and HB most of the time. Usually when we are at the door, he will run to us. Occasionally, he would be glued to the TV or just sitting on the sofa with my ILs.
But I think you shouldn't be too worried about this greeting thing. I mean, when your kids are with you when you get home or during weekends, they are warm and loving right?

Old Navy / Gap / Banan Republic Spree
30% off! PM me with your orders if interested.
Hope to place orders by this Thurs!
happy.gif

Sunny
it depends on that day what Aden is doing when I pick him up. If he is doing puzzle, I need to wait for him to finish one after another.

If he is doing something he really enjoys, then I have to wait or he will give me that kind of look like why you come so early.

Do you restrict TV at home ? Could it be because they will enjoy more TV at your in law place ?

sunny
Now that my boy is reverted to full day CC, end of the day, they would turn on the TV for them and you could see that their eyes are transfixed on the TV. So it takes awhile for them to warm up and get excited to see you. Occasionally my boy treats us like we're not there when the TV is turned on in school.

Hi mummies,

Had another session of PTM yesterday. C has been consistent in his grades (whew). Chinese teacher said he has improved in his mandarin. Now toying with the idea of introducing Chinese enrichment classes. It's between Berries & Tien Hsia. Appreciate your inputs on the both centres. TIA!

Sysac
I've never brought D to Tien Hsia for any trial before, so I won't know for sure. So far he enjoys Berries @ West Coast and looks forward to going there. They have a way of helping them recognize the various chinese characters/words and each month there's a theme. Since attending Berries, he's been really receptive to Chinese and speaking simple Mandarin with us when we initiate the conversation in Mandarin. Though he's far from conversing fluently, but the fact that he is more receptive is really encouraging for my hb and myself.

He's able to recognize and remember the Chinese Words since he started in July till now. They provide the booklets and flashcards after every lesson so that we can revise with them at home.

What is interesting for them is that they will take home relevant art and crafts or items relating to the subject i.e. Stone and Water they brought back a small money plant in a styrofoam cup with water and stones inside. Or when the topic is fish and prawn, they were each given a guppy (in a packet of water).

Mamachan - Thanks! Looks like I have to try the trial classes then
happy.gif
Tien Hsia is next to his school & so I thot for convenience & to go to a place familiar wld not be so intimidating for him. As for Berries, got to travel a little further for us.

queen
PM u my order for Old Navy. Thinking of getting microfibre tights for my girl's ballet. Do let me know how u will be calculating the shipping for my tights cuz if the shipping is going to cost more than the tights, I may decide to drop the items. Thanks.

MamaChan ... are the fishes still alive? 1 of K's goldfish is still very very alive!

I did go to both for trials ... TX is a cheaper option without GST, and nearer for us. However, it's more academic based with worksheets and desk-bound.... but anyway, I can't tell much as after the trial, I was pretty much being swept aside, and when I asked for to see the worksheet, the admin told me that I must enroll to get it back ... I'm VERY PAMPERED by Berries admin, n my kids love their Berries classes, n it's a decision that i did not regret, despite having gone thru' certain struggle as I thought I could have taught my kids chinese as I'm a SAHM ... btw, in my estate, whoever I know that is going to a chinese enrichment centre is going to the same Berries branch, except 1 P3 boy. Berries, not easy to get vacancy when u start late, like K1 or K2, at the branch I'm speaking of.

.ky.

KY
LOL...my boy's guppy did not last for long :p for a week. But I must say that the Berries stuff are really nice and warm. I like that the style of the classes seem to be like a playgroup setting. Not too worksheet based at our pre-schooler's age. But I should think the syllabus will change as they grow older?

Mashy
The Star programme has yet to kick start I think...I did ask before at the West Coast Branch, they mentioned that they have yet to start the Star Programme there and at most branches. Star Programme is twice a week whereas the enrichment programme is once a week.

wenyl- try holiday inn express at causeway bay. Its just beside times sq and mtr. Very accessible. Try booking the wheel chair access rm. Its huge and its only 150 per night sgd. 2 double beds included. Its a steal if u ask me

ladies
i do restrict TV time at home, 'cos we normally don't switch on the TV till night time after the kids fall asleep and we have completed the house chores. Probably that's why they enjoy TV programme at my in law place so much so that everyone can sense that they, especially my #1 is 'craving' for it. haha....
just felt upset that we dont' get a warm welcome from them when we go to pick them up like what other kids do to their parents.

re: working part time
HR has approved it!!! now waiting for the final approval from my CEO... *cross finger*

ky
which berries brand you go to? i was thinking if really need mandarin enrichment class, i might just sign up tien Hsia since it's nearer.

there's mandarin enrichment class offered by Tulip montessori near our place. have you checked out that place yet?

re: english enrichment
other than I Can Read, any other good one?

CL
are you kids still going to waterfun? my gal starts her 2nd term, still not much progress though. but, it's much easier for us when comes to showering time. previously, she was so scared of washing hair, now, she's fine and enjoying already.

Re: bathing

Are your kids bathing themselves now? Lately coz i've to tend to screaming Hayley, i can only eye power my boy when he bathes. Not very thorough though.

mashy
my gal is very keen on bathing herself. she will wash her hair and body, and scoop the water from the pail to rinse the body. For hair, i need to help her.

Mashy
Aden oso keen. Just let him hold the shower and he just use the other hand wipe here and there. Occasionally when he and Charmaine bath together then they will clean each other back. I will still scrub him by saying I check if he is clean lor.

Sunny
I stopped when Charmaine and Aden keep getting sick and it was near to Exam time so I stopped completely. I think Wenyl joined them too.

SSF,
Thanks for your recommendations! Have u heard of Prudential Hotel? And is it worth staying 2 nights in Disneyland hotel? Tia!

CL,
Din know u stopped their swimming lessons.

Sunny,
Yes, E is still there...enjoying himself. Still in term 1 so can't comment much on his progress. But at least now, he doesn't fear going for swimming lessons now.

wenyl
my gal enjoys the water play by her own. once the lesson starts and the instructor asks her to go into the water with him, she starts screaming, 'I don't want ~~~~~~~!!!!' *headache*

at least your boy likes it.

CL
oh i c. i plan to switch my gal to sports stadium which is nearer to my place next yr onwards if 4 is the minimum age. wonder if the instructor at the sport stadium is good. hb kept complaining about the distance to travel to waterfun.

Mummies,
Talking about enrichment classes, does ur CC have these? J1's sch wanted to start Speech & Drama. I find it quite ex. 10 session cost $270 and last 1 hr only. The school fee is already very high and they still charging so much for enrichment.

I will be signing up her for violin class as she had been pestering us to let her learn since Jan. Should I expose her to more classes? I dun want to stress her so much. So far she is doing very well in mandarin, as for English, I had seen alot of improvement after she had gone to this new sch.

Sunny ... nearest Berries to us is at Bukit Batok. 5 mins walk from MRT. U r asking abt Tulip Montessori? I did check out when K was just a few months old for his brother. Sat there for over an hr and decided it's not my cup of tea.

Mamachan, my 6-yr old still likes to go to Berries ... they play games but exactly what I couldn't tell ... they'll prob do simple craft work till K1 (like now) but their focus will still be fun-based and interactive in the higher level ... from oral conversation to projects to writing and reading.

.ky.

Ky
Even till now for Charmiane P1 berries, it is still fun based. My niece's Writing, Oral and Listening WOL class with them for P3 oso fun. She initially hated chinese writing now she has enjoyed it a lot after berries. So Berries has its power and impact on making the language very fun and interesting.

I always think Chinese is either you hate it or you love it. So the first approach to Chinese is very important. Fun is to sustain that interest and most important never let them go into Hating the language.

Sunny
For me my objective is to let Charmaine curb phobia of water. Aden can dip into the pool anywhere anytime, charmaine can too but refuse to cooperate when she has to put her head into the water. She was also getting to comfy with the arrangement.

I have 1 year to make her learn how to swim before she starts to have compulsory swimming in P3 PE lesson for school. I am thinking of getting one coach to go to home pool or I might try APS or Swimfast next year for a 2 to 1 coach class.

I think my nephew and niece coach in CCK stadium is not bad, I can get the contact for you

CL
thanks, can pm me the coach contact?
i found this link from the web. they have 1-1 lesson. but, i find that the fee's quite high. http://www.maxswim.com/swimming-lessons-course-fee

ky
i have signed up my boy for trial at tulip's weekend playgroup. i hope he likes it.

re: berries
sounds good. should ask my hb about it.

re: enrichment class
what other enrichment class does your kid go? it's always the distance to the enrichment centres which makes me think twice... and of course the fees...

C.L/KY
I totally agree with C.L that in order for them to pick up the language, we need to "inspire" them to love the language via fun. So far, I'm really pleased with the results from totally no chinese at home to accepting some Chinese language at home. Likely we'll just let D continue with Berries till Primary school.

May
My boy's school has got Chinese and/or English Speech and Drama class, if I want him to go for it, it's $65 per month for both English and Chinese, once a week for each and during school hours. We are considering that since we get feedback that he doesn't really nap in school anymore so we thought could just engage him with Speech and Drama.

At least we don't have to bring him back to school on weekends for the enrichment. Berries on it's own is enough...we are set to send him for swimming lessons soon, I think it's good that he can pick up swimming and he absolutely loves the water! I think it's one "survival" skill that we should let our kids pick up!

Music wise, if he's really keen and do keep bugging us to let him learn the keyboard/piano, we might consider...maybe let him pick up from my Uncle first to gauge his interest.

sunny
I think for me, Chinese enrichment is enough at the present moment and possibly swimming. The rest if ever need be, can wait till when they are older and based on their interest too.

I feel family time now is more needful than packing their weekends with so many various enrichment activities. Nowadays, my boy likes for us to bring him bowling!!!

My kids are doing gym and Berries, and the older one is doing music (2 instruments ... long story why 2), art, abacus. i'll prob look at enrichments that suit into my weekday schedule since I can afford to bring one out in the afternoon next yr. For swimming, i'm taking it easy by teaching the older one myself... ya, like Mamachan, i don't like to pack enrichments on weekends, my older if asked will want to go for every single thing there possibly is available n i got to know what to filter out... also with a playgroup that i'm having on the alt weekends for them, I feel it's really enough ...

.ky.

will singapore be recalling the mcclaren strollers as well? I have a techno XT with me..

BTW, there's another outbreak of HFMD in Singapore again. Pls be very careful with ur kids. A was down and is still down with HFMD since last Monday and my hb contracted the HFMD from her. It was a nightmare for me as I gotta take care of both the adult and child.

btw, Jshoppers is having a free shipping for orders 1500yen and above. VERY good offer as the normal free shipping offer requires 12,000yen! Good time to get the 1-2 items u want from them without having to join a spree.

FYI.

mamapanda
oh dear... hope they get well soon. it's really not easy for you.

ky
what are the 2 instruments your boy is learning? i am thinking whether to let my gal learn piano or violin. 'cos when I ask her, she seems to be ok with either one.

mamachan
me too find that weekends should be more for family time rather than for enrichment classes, else both parents and kids will be very tired. i try to limit to one academic (e.g. languages) and one non-academic (e.g. music, art, sports)during weekend. hopefully after i converted to part time, i can schedule the clases during weekdays. but the PT arrangement is just for 1 yr...

The affected models include Volo, Triumph, Quest Sport, Quest Mod, Techno XT, Techno XLR, Twin Triumph, Twin Techno and Easy Traveller, according to the stroller company. The strollers, which are manufactured in China, are sold nationwide.

Sunny
ha ha my wishful thinking. Hope Charmaine takes piano and Aden violin then ha ha next time I just sit down and enjoy their performance.

Mamapanda
Jshopper I want. ha ha.

Sunny
Charmaine is already taking piano taught by a fellow forum at one of the condo in CCK. I bought a digital piano instead of upright to ensure she is realli keen before I proceed to invest in thousands. I am going to refresh myself on piano too. actually ha ha I want to do gu zheng. I have a yang qing at my mum place liao.

So aden can choose a violin or yang qing. I can have east meet west musical at home

CL
ya, if Charmaine is really keen, you need to get a upright piano for her. My colleague went to check out a musical school at suntec for 2nd hand piano. They are selling the 2nd hand piano e.g. kawai, yamaha from $4k onwards. After 2 years, you can sell it back to them (not trade in) at 50% of the price you bought from them. Every subsequent year, the buy back value will decrease by 10%. i think it's quite a good deal. the school is at 3rd floor near toys r us.

Sunny
I have second hand piano contact. Np. I can share with you too. Found my sil a lobang of yamaha upright piano at $1.8K if she keep it well, they can take back at $1.5K. better right. So you actually only pay $300.

Back