Perth Holiday - Any Suggestions/Advice/Tips?

Hi Sunnyling / mngo

Thank you for the info.

Mngo - what farm stay did you go?

Can I also ask for car rental - for unlimited KM does it mean we dun hv to pay for the petrol?

Gapple
i stayed in Windmill Farm at Bindoon.

for unlimited KM, it means you can drive as much as possible. petrol , u hv to bear.

if it is limited KM, every kM you exceed, u hv to pay extra to the rental company

GApple,

I just came back from Perth 2 weeks ago and we went for the dolphin/whale tour. It was an exciting experience as we saw a lot of dolphins and whales. My friend's colleague went around the same period as us couldn't even spot a single whale/dolphin! The jetty view at Augusta where we boarded the vessel is simply beautiful.

If you are thinking of farmstay, I highly recommend Ferguson Farmstay near Bunbury as its situated high up in the hill.

Dophina,

mngo is right. berry picking is seasonal so we didn't go to strawberry farm.

hba6721,

Yes, berries picking is seasonal that's why I will not be including it inside my itinerary when I'm at MR.

However, you mentioned that September is the season for strawberry picking thus I thought of going since I will be Perth in the month of Sept. Maybe I know which strawberry farm you called?

Thank you.

Dolphina,
We went to Perth in May which is autumn so day starts early & ends early ard 5.30am. We usually set off bet 9-10am depending on out itinerary for the day. The only day we went off early was for the Rockingham Dolphin Watch Tour which starts at 8.30am. And we left at 7.30am cos gotta be there by 8.15am(abt 35mins drive to Rockingham). So basically, it all depends on ur itinerary =)

For strawberries, there's one at Sunset Coast called Strawberry Fields, but the strawberry picking season is only from Sep-Dec. However, u can still buy pre-packed punnets of strawberries & sit in their tea rooms & do wine tasting. So if u hv enough time to spare & looking for a nice day out, u can prob pop by. Just take note tt they're closed on TUE.

For the Lavender & Berry farm at Balingup, they're opened daily from 9-5.30pm. Besides lavender, u can also see raspberry & blackberries & can handpick them when in season, which is from Dec-Mar only.. so Sep is still early.

Gapple,
If u're heading towards MR & looking for a nice farmstay accommodation, u might wanna consider Sunflower Farm. I've not stayed there before but I've heard many good reviews from friends & fellow forumers who had. To find out more.. u can visit their website at www.sunflowersfarm.com
happy.gif

Dolphina,

We also went to Lavender & Berry Farm and took a a few pics of the raspberries but dont think they are available for handpick yet.

Thanks for all the info. Will not be going to Sunset Coast as it is located on the Northwest of Perth.

Maybe I will plan to go Strawberry Farm at Swan Valley located at the corner of Wilson Road and Toodyay Road. Hope that there are some strawberry to pick during my trip in Sept, if not it is still a good experience to see unripe strawberry.

Hi all, thank you for the info / recommendation

Mngo - I email windmill farm, the rates are very expensive! They are charging A$131 per adult and A101 for per child for the accomodation and activiites. That will add up to A$464 for the 4 of us! Bur I must admit the activities look very interesting.

hba6721 - I am still planning my itinerary. We are still deciding which dolphine / whale watch to go. Is available in rockingham, Augusta etc. Cannt really rmbr, I am hopeless with direction and map reading :p

Clarewen - which apt did u stay in Perth. Any parking problem in rockingham when u went for the Dolphin Watch Tour . I read also that we hv to arrange our own tpt back from val st jetty to Mersy Jetty if we join the Dolphin, Penguin and sealion tour. Did u encounter tt?

mngo - u paid A$121 in total or for 1 Adult?
I find the price of A$464 is exorbitant! Anyway I was jus looking thru the map, it seem out of the way as I will be heading towards to MR. Maybe will try sunflower... but 2 of the 4 units are already booked!

hba6721 - still waiting for ferguson reply.

By the way, how many days will u gals recommend.
Anyone kind enough to share yr itinerary.

For car rental - for 3.5yo kid, shd I get car seat or booster seat?

Anyone of you book thru West Discovery? Find tt their rates for accomodation are quite good. Jus tt the car rental is from Eurpocar... I read tt most ppl recommend Budget and Baywaters
happy.gif

Gapple
i paid 121 for 1 adult. u r right, since u are gg to MR, might as well try the sunflower one.

i went to perth for 9 days

Gapple,
We stayed at Aaron All Suites. Great location & very spacious apartment. Costs only $130-$150AUD per night for 1 bedroom. If u're keen, u can chkout www.holidaycity.com or www.hotelclub.net to get a quote.. cos usually they offer lower prices as compared to booking directly with the hotel, so u save more. For our stay last yr, we paid only A$135/nite.. booked it thru HolidayCity. Hotel itself quoted us A$150 which is more ex. And if u plan to stay there, do get them to reserve a parking slot for u at the time of booking cos they have limited parking spaces.. else u gotta park ur car slightly futher up bet Irwin St & Pier St. There, it costs A$12 for a full day parking ticket
happy.gif

As for The Dolphin, Penguin & Sealion Tour, it is a newly added tour. It's not available yet last year when we went. We went for the Dolphin Watch Tour which starts & end at the same place, which is the Yacht Club @ Val St. And there's a carpark just beside the Yacht Club with ample parking space so no prob with parking.

Since the Dolphin, Penguin & Sealion Tour starts at the Yacht Club & ends at Mersing Point, u have to park ur car somewhere in between these 2 places so u need not walk that far away to the departure & finishing point. And I think Val St & Mersing Point are not far from each other too. Anyway, I suggest u email them to find out where u can park so u'll know exactly where to go the day of the tour
happy.gif

Hi Clarwen,

You are an angel! Given lots of useful info. U really know Aust inside out! Saw lots of info u provided in other thread!

I like Aaron All suite too but is too expensive. The rate now is like A$150+ and abv for 1 bedroom.

The best rate I got is from West Discovery. They quoted me A$142 for a 2 bedroom apt in Mont Clare and provided free shuttle service from Airport. Which is ideal cos we dun intent to pick up the car on the day of arrival. The price diff for 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom is only A$7. Might as well pay and get the free shuttle and we get to sleep better too.
happy.gif

Mngo - Sunflower farm rate is more reasonable. Abt $160 for the 4 of us but no meals provided. Jus need more info where to get food.

Hba - Ferguson rate is also reasonable. Need to work out itinerary b4 deciding which one to go.

I will be in PER for 7D/8N (Tue to Tue). Thinking of spending 3days in Per, 1 day Farm and 2 day in MR. Hv 1 "spare day" to slot in. I wan to plan such tt I get to stay in PER / FRE over weekend to visit the FRE Mkt.

Really getting vey excited... it had been a long long time since I had a holiday!

MR - I love the Vintage Apt... very nice!

Gapple,
Dun say that.. I'm only sharing what I know
happy.gif

Wow.. prices have really increased over the years. I stayed there 5 yrs back in the studio room & it's only $99/nite! Even the 1 bedroom then was only $110-$120. Also, xchg rate back then was only only 1.12 & now it's 1.31! And I think it's still going up... sigh. Things are really more & more expensive nowadays.. everywhere u go. But as compared, Perth is still cheaper than Gold Coast, whether food or accoms.

For Mont Clare, $142 for a 2 bedroom sounds like a gd deal. In that case, u better act fast & book to prevent disappointment cos Mont Clare is also rather popular ya..
happy.gif

Dophina,
If I remember correctly, the strawberries @ The Swan Valley Strawberry Farm are only in season between Nov & May & picking season sarts only in Nov.. so u might not be able to do any picking if u're going in Sep. Mayb u liked to email them & confirm . Otherwise, can also chk with the Swan Valley Visitor Centre at [email protected]. They can also send u some free brochures of the all the attractions in Swan Valley, like restaurants, wineries & accoms..etc. Just give them ur mailing addy..
happy.gif

Claerwen,

Thanks for the info. I have sent an email to Swan Valley Visitor Centre and now waiting for their answer.

By the way, has anyone stayed with Geographe Cove Resort in Dunsborough before? I have booked 2 nites stay with them and would like to have some feedback about the villas.

Claerwen,

You really know WA very well.
kao_kiss.gif
Just received reply from Swan Valley Visitor Centre informing strawberry season starts November for picking and viewing. Picking of grapes is also available in Swan Valley but not in September.
kao_sad2.gif

Anyone going in November can include strawberry picking in their itinerary.

Dophina - Thanks for the info. I am gg in Nov.
Aiyo, planning itinerary very siong!

I only get to surf the net after 11pm everyday and being a direction and map idiot... it make things worse. Think my hubby wan to vomit blood liao cos I jus throw out all the place listed here without thinking where is the place.
rofl.gif

Gapple,

First of all, you have to decide whether you want to travel Southwest or Northwest of Western Australia. Then send emails to Visitor Centres to request for maps and brochures then you can plan from there. http://www.westernaustralia.com/en/About_Western_Australia/Visitor_Centres/Pages/Visitor_Centres.aspx

Once of you have decide on the places that you want to go an stay, then only you start to check out the roads to take from one place to another. If you have extra day to spare, I would suggest that you go Pemberton: http://www.pembertontourist.com.au/search_resultall.asp

Dophina,
No worries, glad I can help
happy.gif

Gapple,
Generally, toilets in Oz are v. clean so no worries =)

For maps & directions, do chkout www.westernaustralia.com for their online interactive road map. U can use it to plan out ur routes b4 ur trip so u know which road & highway to take.. saves a lot of time. U'll also be more familiar with the roads when u're there. It's v. useful. I used it to plan ut my routes b4 my trip too last year.

Here's a shortcup of the map:
http://www.idelve.net/watc/map/frameset.jsp?ts=1183968229012

U can also click on 'Map of Australia' from here:
http://www.westernaustralia.com/en/Getting_to_WA/waMaps/Pages/WA_Maps.aspx

Alternatively, u can also visit www.whereis.com to get point-point directions between ur destination & ur departure point, also v. useful
happy.gif

Clarewen - thanks for the links!
I need some advise from you, Underst you book you car with Budget. Do they allow us to pick up at car at our accomodation. Most likely I will be staying at Mont Clare.

My kids will be 4YO in Dec, jus wondering if they need car seats. Actually hb and myself feel tt it is safer for them to be in carseats and more comfortable to slp. (Now tt they are sitting on booster seat, their head swing left and right, so poor thing leh).
Will the car seat be big enuff for them. They are abt 1m tall, 16kg

Gapple,

You can send them an email to check whether they can deliver the car to Mont Clare Apt. Normally there will be a charge.

Just did a check for you. If you decide to collect your car at Budget (960 Hay St, Perth), take a free Red CAT at Carlton (Bus Stop No. 10)and alight at Freeway (Bus Stop No. 20). http://www.sctransit.com.au/PerthCAT.pdf

Dophina

Thank you very much!
I hv problem access the web in my office. Many sites are blocked so I hardly can surf for info.
Thankfully this site is not block else I will be very miserable.
Some site I can only read the words, the picures are not downloaded.. can see XXX only!! Arghhh!!

I told my hubby to chk with Budget. Thanks

Gapple,
If I'm not wrong, Budget do provide free delivery of ur car to ur hotel from Mon-Fri between 9-4pm.. so u dun hv to go down to their branch for collection. But they dun deliver on weekends though, so u need to collect it urself. If u need the car to be delivered to u, juz let them know during booking & they will arrange for it. So do chk with them on tt
happy.gif

And yes, just request for a child safety seat when u make ur booking. It's for older children between 3-8 yrs old & it's bigger. It's basically a car seat with support on both ends so they can lean on either side when they're tired, v. comfy. My gal is also coming to 4yo next month. She's now 1.09m tall & we also requested for a child seat for her during our recent trip to GC. No prob at all =)

Gapple,
Forgot to add. If the hotel is located within walking distance from the branch, u have to walk there & collect the car urself cos they do not provide delivery for such short distance. This is the only exception for car delivery by Budget. In this case, since Mont Clare is located on the same street as Budget (Hay St), u prob need to collect the car urself.. dun think they will deliver. U can always email them to verify
happy.gif

Clarewen - Thanks a million! You are so helpful!
kao_kiss.gif

I email Budget already, their reply was delivery to hotel is possible but dep if the Branch wan to do it and they hv no idea if the branch will charge extra or not
kao_confused2.gif

By the way, anyone of u been to Perth in Nov b4?? It is really HOT! Wat abt at nite - Will it turn cold like MEL?? Roughly wat time will the skt turn dark, we need to plan to mk sure we can reach the other town b4 it turn dark.

Anyone of you went to Albany and stay overnite?
We intend to go dn to MR and dn to Albany and back to Perth again so tt we can visit the FRE Mkt on weekend.

On toilet issue again... are there many along the road. I am scare tt my kids wan to poo while we are on the way.

Gapple,
No worries. In that case, u better call them on the day of collection to see if they can deliver to u FOC. Cos I do remember them telling me that they do not do delivery if the hotel & the branch are located on the same street cos it's only a short distance away. So even if they can, they might charge u for that. If so, might as well pickup urself since so near. Anyway, policies might different from branch to branch so it's always better to chk with them on the day of pickup. Afterall, it's just a phone call away
happy.gif

Summertime in Perth will be hot. But during summer, u will experience longer days & shorter nights & the sky will not turn dark until 7-8pm, unlike autumn & winter where day starts & end early ard 5.30pm, so u can have more time getting to ur destination.

As for toilets.. if u're in the city area, u can just pop by the nearest petrol stn, shops or supermarkets. If u're on the highway, there's always a few R&R stops along the way for u to take a break from the long drive & of cos, toilets as well. But for really emergency cases, u just have to stop ur car at a logical point like pockets of side road & let them poo, that's the only way. U can also let ur kids wear pull-up pants for long journeys so u dun hv to worry abt toilet issues & having to stop along the road, cos sometimes u can't stop as & when u like, esp. highways. That way, u can also be prepared even if they need to poo urgently.. just wash & change them at the nearest toilet.

Alternatively, u can also bring along a travel potty with dispoable liners so u can just dipose of the poo after that, which is the most convenient. But it's not cheap though. Mothercare is selling at $25.. so unless u travel & use it frequently, it's not practical to get one. But if u really intend to get one, u can always try yahoo auctions see if anyone is selling.. cos I ever saw someone selling at only $5 & it's only been used 1-2 times so still v. new. U can also try asking ard to see if anyone knows of a cheaper place that sells the potty, or u can also try Baby Kingdom & Kid's Hypermart at Kaki Bukit
happy.gif

Gappy,

We drive down to Albany during my Trip in June. If you need toilet just stop at the Petrol Kiosk and their toilet is pretty clean and most of them come with children changing station. Not to worry but you cant expect that each petrol station is very near to each other some maybe a driving distance away. We took ard 5 hrs to travel from Perth to Albany but when return we took another route which is longer but more town and beautiful as is along the coastline. Albany got very nice view and weather is cooler then Perth.

Alternative, you can do what Claerwen suggest wear a pull up pant for your kid. Overall, Perth is a very child friendly place.

Enjoy your trip.

oh ya the resort we go have a nice view and very comfortable but I forgot the name of the resort. If you need i can check with my SIL about the place.

Just wanna check, is there a peak season gng on now? My friend wanna come over to Perth for visit somewhere in Aug, but the airtix is rather expensive.. Abt 700+ after tax.

Is that the norm price now?

Mngo,
Nope.. but I've been there 3 times.

Hidora,
Taxes has always taken up a major portion of airfares esp. with the recent hike in GST so prices will defintely be higher now. Moreover, purchasing a single ticket is always slightly more ex
happy.gif

Hi hi

Thank for all your info. I still din hv time to collate and digest.

Jus wanna to share with you gals tt I had a VERY unpleasant encounter with Ferguson Farm.
I email them to chk on the rate and availability. But in their 1st reply, they din gv the the info so I email again, even numbered the question on 9 Jul, they only reply me today and I find it pretty rude

"I am so sorry but now all the chalets are fully booked for the night of the 21 Nov. It is often like that in our farm. By the time clients make the decision of making the booking other families make the decision first and some miss out."

hidora
actually .... air tix is ard there.
that time in march, it was also 700+ after tax.
norm price. i think. unless he take budget airlines...

Hi Clarewen, I jus can't thank you enough for all the useful info. Xie Xie ni!

Sunnyling - Thank you for the info too. If you dun mind, pls chk out the apt u stayed in Albany.

Just want to know whether I can bring 3-in-1 coffee (like Cafe Nova which is manufacture in Singapore) or milo to Perth?

Gapple,
No worries, glad I can help
happy.gif

Dophina,
No prob for bringing them over, but do remember to declare. If u've got used to drinking that particular brand, then will be gd to bring some over.. otherwise u can also chkout other brands from supermarkets over there, as what Sunnyling said
happy.gif

dophina
if u bring milo. i think chances are it may be rejected cos is dairy product.
get it from australia..... made in australia ones are much nicer.

Mngo & Dodhina,
Milo & Horicks are ok as long as they're not manufactured in Malaysia. So juz chkout the labelling during purchase. I brought Horlicks along too during our trip last year last & there's no prob
happy.gif

Here's a copy of their email reply for ur reference. I've emailed them last yr abt bringing in Horlicks into Oz:

===================================================
Thank you for your further enquiry about bringing Horlicks to Australia .

As the commercial labelling on your Horlicks states that the product has been manufactured in England , the Horlicks will be allowed into Australia as part of your personal baggage provided the product is also free from infestation and contamination. The United Kingdom is currently listed by the Office International des Epizooties (OIE) as free from Foot and Mouth Disease. Please remember that you must declare all items of food, animal or plant origin on your Incoming Passenger Card for inspection by an Australian Quarantine Inspector on your arrival in Australia . 'Food' refers to anything you can consume and will include the Horlicks.

It is the country of manufacture stated on the commercial labelling that determines if a dairy product will be allowed into Australia as part of your personal baggage. Your Horlicks will be allowed into Australia as part of your personal baggage as the commercial labelling states that the product has been manufactured in England (the United Kingdom ) and only packed in Malaysia , not manufactured in Malaysia .

If the commercial labelling on the Horlicks stated instead that the product had been manufactured in Malaysia , the product would not be allowed into Australia as part of your personal baggage, unless accompanied by an AQIS Import Permit. Dairy products from countries such as Malaysia, that are listed by the OIE as having only specific zones within the country that are free from Foot and Mouth Disease, are not allowed into Australia as part of your personal baggage and must be re-exported or destroyed, unless accompanied by an AQIS Import Permit. Only dairy products that have been manufactured in countries that are listed by the OIE as completely free from Foot and Mouth Disease are allowed into Australia as part of your personal baggage without an Import Permit.

For further information on what goods can or cannot be brought into Australia , you may visit our website at www.aqis.gov.au/airports or consult the AQIS Import Conditions (ICON) database at www.aqis.gov.au/icon. Alternatively, you may email us at [email protected].

I hope this information is of assistance to you. If you have any further questions, please contact me again.

Regards,
Veronica Ahola
Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service
Airports Program
Fax: +61 (2) 6272 3468
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.affa.gov.au/airports

Thanks for the infomation Claerwen, Sunnyling & Mngo.

Have not decide whether to bring milo or not but will be bring coffee as I will be a part-time driver beside my friend who will be driving most of the time.

Hi Clarewen

How lonf before do we need to book the car. I was thinking tt to book now fr my nov trip seem too early. The promotion deals now are only for bookings upto Aug 07.

Gapple,
2-3mths b4 ur trip will be gd enuff.. now still too early. Also, there might be upcoming promotions for spring/summer so juz wait till Aug/Sep, no hurry
happy.gif

Back