Perth Holiday - Any Suggestions/Advice/Tips?

hi mngo,
i visited the web site already..abit confuse. there are many apartments from the site, which one did you go to? It all looks good in pictures
happy.gif

i stayed at the Mt Lawley one. Which is not too bad, except that my unit does not have a bath tub.

yokine is near mt lawley.. 5 mins away. give them a call and ask
happy.gif

just down the road of mt lawley, is the northbridge - Chinatown.

janey
the centro near mt lawley has target, coles, woolsworth, bookshops, foodcourt and such.

if the supermkt closes early, u can go to petrol station, or a 24 hours 7-11 kind of shop to buy the groceries. but limited choice, and expensive.

hi mngo,

thank you so much for the information
happy.gif
will give a call to enquire!

btw, is centro walking distance from mt lawley?

hi mngo!

thank you so much for the info! thank you for replying on weekends
happy.gif
I think i know where it is, i browse the web site last night.

Janey,
Yup.. they do hv free parking slots for their guests but as mentioned, u need to pre-book in advance abt 2-3 mths or so cos the slots are very limited. So at the same time when u're making ur reservation for the apartment, u just to let them know & they will advise u on tt. So my advise is to make ur reservation earlier so as to secure a slot. So far, we had no prob..
happy.gif

But in case the hotel parking slots are not available, u can always park ur car along the road, just beside the hotel (Victoria Ave), OR in front of the hotel along Hay St (more slots there). These parking slots offer free parking from 7pm-8am during weekdays (weekend is free for whole day). For daytime parking on weekdays, u need to pay depending on how long u want to park ur car there. Different slots have different parking time limit like 5mins, 1/2 hr, 1 hr..etc. Maximum is 2 hrs. If I'm not wrong, 45mins will cost abt $1.

For parking along the road, it will be good if u're out most of the day & u're parking ur car for a short duration like 2-4 hrs or so. BUT if u'll be in ur hotel most of the day, it'll more advisable to park ur car at the public carpark slightly further up between Irwin St & Pier St & purchase a full day parking ticket @ $12. It'll be much cheaper & more convenient this way than running dwnstairs to pay every 2 hrs. There's also ample parking slots there =)

And yes, there's a Woolsworth located in the city centre @ City Central arcade, on Murray St Mall. The arcade is opposite the David Jones entrance (Murray St Mall side) & near the Fitness First Gym. If u're lost, the WA visitor centre is just nearby so juz approach them for directions.

There's also another supermarket called Carlton Fresh ard the corner from Mont Clare Apartments @ Hay St, only 5mins walk away fm the apt (just slightly further up fm Gateway Suites). They're opened 24hours a day, 7 days a week. And they sell fresh meats & veges too so will be good if u intend to do some cooking as well
happy.gif

janey,
to play safe, i suggest u get brand new unopened bottles but those that r smaller ones. after that u can bring back home also. as for rice, there's a lot of place in Sg that sell small packets of rice like 1kg only. and yes, soy sauce and chilli etc went through the customs.

as for mont clare, u can try calling them direct to book because their internet booking system actually got some fault whereby weekends bookings got some restrictions. initially i was unsuccessful with my online bookings too but i called n secured the booking. But then it would mean it'll cost higher to book through phone cos u wont get internet preferred rates. Btw, they can put u on hold for quite a while if u call too.

LV

if we bring rice & soy sauce, we must declare rite? actually wanted to get from there coz i tot we cant bring in these food items.

jamie
you should be able to bring. so long as the items are non dairy, non veg, non fruits, non unprocessed meat products - its safe.

Hi claerwen!
Thank u so so so much! its great to hear from you. Can i ask a few more question?

1. From aarons to swan valley, do you advice to stay over night? or one day visit is good enough? or i drive back to aarons?

2. Frementle, is one day good enough?

3. Kings Park we plan to go, what other places would you recommend? because we only have a single driver, therefore anything long journey might not be advisable.

4. For cooking facilities, do you think i can whipped up chinese food over there? Should i bring my slow cooker? I am not sure what are the utensils or things they provided in room.

Thank you!

Hi LV!

Thank for the advices! YES, i will get those mini bottles of sauces and packet of rice!
happy.gif

Did you just went Perth? I am gg with my 2 year old...kind of worried if he is able to adapt. Esp. eating out. I don't think i can cook for lunch...

hi Claerwen,

forget to add in one more...hahaaha

May i know which room type is suitable for me, hubby and son (2yr old)?

thanks a bunch!
happy.gif

Janey
Though the questions are meant for Clarewen, maybe i can share with you where i went - other than king's park

1) Fremantle - 1 day
2) Subi Weekend Market - half a day
3) Harbor town - 1 day
4) City - Half a day
5) Farm stay
6) Caversham Wild life park
7) busselton - 1 day- 3 hrs drive
8) Garden City mall
9) King's Park
10) Lake Monger
11) Visit University of Western Australia
12) E Shed Market - Together with Fremantle
13) up north to Hillary's Boat Harbour and Clarkson

I went with my son 2.5 year old. he is quite ok.
We did not cook. So normally we will give him sandwiches. Or eat at foodcourt.

Jamie,
As what Mngo has said, as long as the food items are not within those categories, it'll be ok. But u still need to declare ya
happy.gif

Janey,
No prob.. glad I can help =)

1) We stayed over for 1 night at Swan Valley during our trip last year. Visited the nearby attractions like Caversham Wildlife Park, Edgecombe Bros, Margaret River Chocolate Factory, Oggies Ice Cream Cafe, Nougat Factory & The Swan Valley Wagon Trail..etc. So essentially, it all depends on ur itinerary, where & what u plan to go & do. In fact, Swan Valley & Margaret River are v. similar in nature so if u're planning to stay over at MR, u can give Swan Valley a miss. U can just do a short drive there from Perth City (since only 25 mins away) & pop by for the attractions. Max. 2 days will be enuff to cover Swan Valley.

For us, we've already been to MR & Albany regions 5 yrs back (but not Swan Valley) so didn't go back there again this time. That's y we chose to stay over at Swan Valley instead for our gal to experience a short taste of country & farm life. So if u're not going to MR, then it'll be gd to stay over at Swan Valley. Will be nearer to the attractions there also.. coz they're juz minutes drive away :)

2) Fremantle - Yup, 1 day will be sufficient. Places to go includes the E-shed & Fremantle Markets as well as Cicerellos for their seafood!

3) For other places u can visit, can chkout this thread. I've listed quite a few others.. so just read further down:
http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/353635/819869.html?1178528981

4) No prob for cooking! U can whip up anything u like
happy.gif
It's basically a self-contained serviced apartment with a fully equipped kitchen incl. cooking stove, utensils, cutleries, microvave oven & fridge. I cooked dinner everyday for my gal there too. I also brought rice & organic rolled oats over. She's only 2.5yrs then.. so do not want her to rely solely on outside food cos it's not healthy. As she's already taking outside food for lunch (usually spag & risotto), I make sure she gets at least 1 proper home cooked dinner everyday, which is usually porridge & also the most healthiest =)

5) For a family of 3, 1 bedroom apartment will be gd enuff
board-post.cgi

oh janey
you have to visit Cicerellos. I went cos it was recomended by Claerwen and the food was good! Just too bad, i din get to eat the mussel
sad.gif

my fren went to another place, called Kailis Fish Market Cafe . and i think is not bad. But the more famous, popular one is the one rec by Claer

hi mngo,
thanks for your inputs! it really helps to know more!
happy.gif
yeah...heard so much abt the fish and chippss..now my stomach is hungry! you mentioned abt food court, is it available all places and easy to get food for toddler? i am feeding him mainly on rice, soup and dishes...rather chinese, except pasta which is more western type :p He does take bread, but sandwich not sure. Do you give ham and cheese type? i hardly make those for him at this age..thought it will be too salty :p

hi claerwen,
thank u so so much once again..goodness, u can be a guide to perth
happy.gif
can i ask something really silly?

1. IF i chose to stay in SV for a single night for farm stay, will it mean i pay extra night at aarons but not staying there? eg. i book 6nites with them.

2. Do you get to prepare dinner in SV as well? we plan to visit SV too
happy.gif
Could you recommend a good place to stay overnite? i wonder if farm stay smell?

3. Can i ask about the organic rolled oats u got? how do u prepare for breakfasT? i have never try before :p

Thanks a bunch!

janey,
ya we just came back from perth hols 2 weeks ago. think your kid should have no prob with food cos for my case, we gave our girl or whatever we are eating. If u r sick or western food, northbridge for a lot of asian food, u can go there for lunch/ dinner.

hi mummies,

I visited this web site:

www.discoverwest.com.au

Has anyone done booking for hotel stay and car rental frm this site before? it seems to offer a good rate as compare to direct booking from hotel....anyone has feedback on their booking system and how reliable is it?

Thanks alot!

hi LV,

sounds great! is northbridge close to perth central? actually my boi is very fussy with food...he only eats easy to chew stuffs
sad.gif
like porrridge, meee or soupy rice! ahahahahhahahahhah....

janey,
I booked hotel stay with them before. and Its reliable. What I like about this website is that they offer free transfer to hotel upon arrival at Perth airport. Easily save $15 per pax.

Went to Fremantle and my Sil recommend Kailis Fish Market Cafe instead of Cicerellos. She say now Kailis is more popular then Cicerellos and she try both Kailis is much better as Cicerellos the food is more oily. The food in Kailis is yummy worth a try.

Jane, my boy also very fussy with food so we cook in the morning daily and put his food in Tiger food jar and bring out for him and feed him 2 meal of porriage outside.

Personally thk that habourtown only need ard 1/2 day shopping as the things there not really very attractive and is out of season things. Thk I spend ard 2 hrs and finish all the shop there.

Fremantle and E-shed market is more for gift for frd, quite small.

Janey,
Pls dun say tt.. I only sharing what I know
happy.gif

Yup, there's a main foodcourt @ Carillon Arcade in between Hay & Murray Street Malls. In fact, there's plenty of Chinese restaurants in & ard Perth, esp. North Bridge area.. so no worries abt Chinese Food
happy.gif

Breakfast for my gal is mostly milk + wholemeal bread & eggs (some days)or rolled oats . I dun give her sandwich as a main meal cos it's no gd but when she sees us eating.. we'll give her some to munch else she'll make noise haha. Basically, she's not choosy abt food & eats watever we gave her, which is a gd thing. Tt's y gotta make sure eats healthy & nutritious stuff each time.. cos she's still young & needs proper nutrition. Basically, it doesn't mean tt u cannot eat healthy when u're on a holiday.. it all depends on what & how u choose to eat
happy.gif

1) If u plan to stay over at SV for 1 night, then u shld either stay there for the 1st night, chkout & proceed to Perth City the next day; or stay @ Perth City 1st then last nite @ SV.. depending on ur itinerary. Definitely cannot book concurrently with Aaron else will be wasting $$ for a night there. So either u visit SV 1st, then move on to Perth or vice versa.

2) For SV, we stayed @ The River Retreat. It's a v. serene & tranquil place cos SV itself is countryside & also a wine producing region, so almost all accomodations there are similar in nature. It's a simple but nice cottage equipped with all amenities & neccessities. And yes, it has a fully equipped kitchen too so u can cook. There's also a children's playground, swimming pool, a swing under a tree & a few farm animals like horse, pigs, sheeps & chickens where ur kid can have a chance to feed them on request. There's also night time entertainment & performance shows like Didge After Dark, Ripping Yarns & the new Outback show, so v. interesting & entertaining for the whole family. If u're keen, can visit their website to find out more:
www.theriverretreat.com.au.

As for smells, there'll be definitely be some here & there cos it's a farm afterall. But it's not those overbearing kind.. will get used after awhile =)

3) For rolled oats, I bought it fm an organic food store near my mum's plc. It's v. easy to prepare.. just follow the instructions. Basically, just plc some amt of oats into the cooking pot filled with an appropriate amt of water (depending on how many pple are eating.. e.g 1/2 cup oats & 2 cups water). Then turn on to small heat & let it come to a boil. When it's almost done (becomes thick), u can add in ur choice of ingredients/flavours to taste.. like horlicks, milo, milk, apples, honey, raisins or eggs..etc. It's simple yet highly nutritious
happy.gif

As for Kailis.. I can't commment cos I haven't been there myself. But alot of my friends & a few fellow forumers who've visited both places told me Kailis's Fish & chips is a total disappointment & it's also overpriced. Cicerellos's one taste much better & their seafood is also fresher as compared. Tt's the reason y I din go to Kailis. Anyway, will still pop by Kailis to see for myself the next time I visit Perth cos no time to go on our last trip also. As for Cicerello's, all I can say it's definitely a must-try
happy.gif

janey
basically i am a bo chap mommy when comes to food. :p
you can eat at foodcourt where they serve chinese food

mngo,

I very envy, really hope that my boy can eat anything but if I don't prepare his porriage thk he will just totally dun eat sigh.

Hi,

This forum is really informative. Just want to share a online street directory for Australia major cities: http://www.whereis.com/whereis/directions.do

You will be able to find out how to travel from one place to another as it will list out what roads/ramps/highway to take by keying in the address.

I will be traveling to Perth in September and down to Margaret River. Anyone also going to Perth in September?

Hi Irene,

How many days will u b there. I'm going there in early Oct for about 7 days, but no idea where to go or what to do. Maybe u can share your itn with me. I'm going with my parent & 2 kids (6mth & 3 yrs)....

Or any mummies here can advise me if it's feasible to drive down to MR with my two kids...

Eong
Driving to MR is a long journey.
You might want to space out yr time...
journey too long, kids cant take it

Eong,

I will be going for only 5 days with 7 friends. As there are no kids with us so our trip maybe very pack. Will post up my plan itinerary for your refernce. Maybe someone can give me advise also.

I actually sent emails to visitor centres to request for maps and some brochues to be sent to me so that I can plan my trip.

Managed to find a rather cheap car rental website: http://www.drivenow.com.au/

My plan itinerary:

Day 1
Check-in to apartment (Arrived at ard 9.05pm via Tiger Airways)

Day 2
Lake Monger (Perth City)
Kings' Park (Perth City)
Swan Bells Tower (Perth City)
Caversham Wildlife Park & Zoo (Swan Valley)
Edgecombe Brothers (Swan Valley)
The Coffee Hut (Swan Valley)
Mondo Nougat - World of Nougat (Swan Valley)
Swan Valley Central - Dried Fruit & Nuts (Swan Valley)
The Strawberry Farm - Optional (Swan Valley)
Harbour Tower Factory Outlet (Perth City)
Northbridge (Perth City)

Day 3
Dophin Discovery Centre (Bunbury)
Mangrove Cove / Boardwalk - Optional (Bunbury)
Basaltic Rock & Lighthouse Lookout (Bunbury)
Boulters Heights (Bunbury)
Busselton Jetty Experience (Busselton)
Check-in to Apartment at Dunsborough
Explore around Dunsborough & Shopping at Dunsborought CentrePoint Shopping Centre

Day 4 (Explore Margaret River)
CaveWorks
Lake Cave
Voyager Estate
The Berry Farm
Margaret River Beverages
Margaret River Fudge Factory
Simmo's Ice Creamery
Ye Olde Lolly Shoppe - Optional)
Moon Haven Soaps Lotions & Potions
Candy Cow
The Margaret River Dairy Company: Cheese & Yoghurt
Margaret River Nuts & Cereals
Margaret River Chocolate Company
Cape Lavender
Yahava Koffee Works
* The above factories are quite near to each others : Travelling time is ard 30mins.

Day 5
Cicerello's Seafood Restaurant Fremantle
Fremantle Market
E-Shed Markets
Maybe Perth City again for Parks that I can't complete on Day 2
Check-in at Airport ard 1930hrs

Hi Mngo, what do u think if I do a break at Bunbury just like Dophina itn? How long is the drive to MR, I thought it's 3 hrs drive?

Hi Dophina,
Just to share.. there's quite a few caves @ MR & Mammoth Cave is actually the best choice if u hate climbing stairs or if u hv any kids/old folks with u.. cos it has the least number of steps & it's also self guided, therefore easiest to climb. Jewel Cave has approx 500 steps (250 down & 250 up). Lake Cave has the most no. of steps - 336 steps down & 336 up.. so even though it might be suitable for all ages, it can be quite tedious esp. if there's old folks/young kids ard, so Mammoth Caves wld be a much better choice
happy.gif

Eong
MR is more than 3 hrs drive. cos i remembered we drove to Busselton, and it took us 3 hrs.
MR is further down Busselton. maybe another hour or so

Eong
i think is good to stop by Bunbury. Else very shiong to drive all the way down MR. unless u dun hv any kids with u?

Btw Dophina, the itineray looks really packed & it's not possible to cover all the places u've listed in a single day.. so u might wanna re-look into that.

Thanks Mngo & Claerwen,

Know that my itinerary is very packed as I just listed out what are the places that I want to visit when I'm there. Will skip and adjust my itinerary when I'm in Perth and some places I will list it as optional. Lucky there is no children and elderly in this trip.

Now I'm thinking whether to rental a car directly from airport or just take a taxi to the apartment and then rent a car from 2nd day onwards. My friend told me there are no street lights in certain highway. Any advise?

Dophina,
Since u'll be arriving in Perth at night, it wld be more advisable to take a coach transfer/taxi to ur apartment rather than driving since u're unfamiliar with the roads & it's dark. Driving & map nagivation will become slightly more difficult then. But if it's daytime then there'll be no issue
happy.gif

Noted Claerwen. Will take a taxi to the apartment.

By the way, may I know normally what time you gals start your day of exploring Perth? I'm thinking of starting the day rather early like ard 7.30am and at most sleep early at night since there is nothing much to do in the night.

Dophina
i agree with Claerwen. Better to take public transport when u first arrive. Most highways... won have street lights. u hv to rely on those luminous reflecter on the road.

i went to perth during summer. I started my day quite late.. cos i hv a toddler and my in laws were with us. we generally only start going out at 11am. (very late! not advisable :p )

Hi all

I had been reading this thread, Thanks a million for all the useful info.

As I will be bringing 2 kids with me (both 4YO), can anyone advise is

1) 1 bedroom studio sufficient (I am keen to stay in Mont Clare or Aaron All Suites)
2)Is it true that in Nov / Dec period. Farmstay is not recommended as there will be lots of flies
3) Is Farmstay similar to the highly recommended Caversham Wildlife Park & Zoo
4)What is the taxi fare / coach transfer fare like from airport to city?
5) Dolphine / whale watching - Anyone of you went?

Dophina,

wow you itinerary so pack must be very tired leh cos whenever we travel to a place already quite far and tired so normally 1 day we can only go 2 or 3 places and must be nearby but of cos we have babies and elderly. Do not drive at night as some of the roads do not had any street light at all. My Bil who was there for a year but when we travel back from the north as we dily daly so getting late and the sky super dark at 6pm so he lost the way also and we got to make a few turns and got not street light a bit scary. But from airport to Perth City should be better but advise to took a taxi.

Gappy,

Not sure will there be alot of flies anot but when we where there driving North which is hotter than Perth & South there are super lots of flies around. Which made us so irritated and we got to chased the flies along when we move and make me super no mood to visit some of the view and I just stay in the car with my son. Cos I bring my son to 1 of the sight and he was irritated with the flies so I didnt bring him down for the rest. Understand that the hotter the weather is the more flies they had. But we got no problem when we we at Caversham Wildlife Park and when we visit all the places in the south as the weather is cold.

GApple
Farm stay is a bit different i think
We did farm stay and my son enjoyed it.
He got a chance to ride a horse, feed the sheeps, feed the kangeroos (breakfast, lunch and dinner). and also had a chance to see fruit orchard

Sunnyling,

Will be discussing with friends next week on the itinerary. Will take out some of the place of interests/factories visit.

By the way, where and what is the name of the strawberry field that hba6721 has mentioned earlier cos I have sent an email to The Berry Farm at MR and they have replied me that no berry picking is available in Sept.

Back