Perth Holiday - Any Suggestions/Advice/Tips?

dragon gal, i'll be going to perth next week, oso for the 1st time and hubby n me dont plan to get GPS as we rely on traditional map. Basically what i do is google the direction map and print it out.
And i plan to get some map when arrived at their visitor centre. Btw, if u r going to MR, you can email to "[email protected]", they'll mail you A3 black and white map plus brochures for cave and lighthouse.

Dragon gal,
Since you are leaving soon, perhaps faster to go down to Australia tourism board to get the brochures and map. Its at United Square. But for the detail region map, you may need to visit the local visitor centre when you are there.

I'm getting excited over my trip! But at the same time worried. Cos first time my baby (1 yo) leave home for 10 days. Worried that he gets sick or not used to the food. Also trying to increase my milk supply as I realise he refuse bottle milk when I'm around. May just bring a few sachets just in case...

Hi Jun and Sparkling crystal,

Thank you so much for the info.
I will try to go down United Sq on Friday morning and get some maps

Hope everyone have an enjoyable trip.

Hi,

Anyone knows if we can bring california baby calendula cream on board the flight? Cos my gal likes me to apply this cream for her before she sleeps cos sometimes feel itchy.

Hi Kwong,
Oct is Spring, and the weather's actually quite nice, cool, but not too cold.
I'm actually making another trip this mid Oct as well.

This Sunday (23 May 2010) there is a Friends Friends of Thomas the Tank Engine Day. The event is seasonal and not run the whole year. If you happen to be in Perth during the period, worth considering.
happy.gif

<font color="aa00aa"><font size="+1"><u>Friends Friends of Thomas the Tank Engine Day.</u></font></font>
3996380.jpg

A day in which dreams come true for all the little fans of this popular TV and book series! There’ll be hissing steam engines, dirty diesels and naughty carriages – all under the watchful eye of Sir Topham Hatt, the Fat Controller.

Tickets are valid all day and include the ‘Incredible Creatures’ farmyard, train and bus rides and prizes for the best Thomas Dress-ups! Presented by Bennett Brook Railway at Whiteman Park.

**EARLY BIRD TICKETS are available for $12 each. Just phone 9534 3215 between 9am - 7pm with your credit card details. Early Bird Tickets close 16/5/10.

Time: 9.30am – 4.00pm
Cost: All tickets $15 (2yrs )

<font size="+1">NEXT EVENT DATE: Sunday 19 September, 2010.</font>
For more information: http://www.whitemanpark.com.au/events/eventListing.aspx

athlete, i'm taking SQ. Is a midnite flight, i believe not much ppl is taking that flight tats why they cancelled it. Now sure the morning flight is going to be pack. Sigh..

hey mummies, juz wondering if i can bring cup noodles into Perth? Going next week and coz pregnant now and I crave instant noodles so hoping to bring some over haha

thanks mngo! yes i think perth will have cup noodles too. But have special liking for the nissin range recently ahaaha. juz tot of bring 1 or 2 for the hunger pangs

how's the weather now?

Sparkling crystal,
Mine also midnight flight by SQ in early june. When was your flight supposed to be? So far I haven't receive any email from SIA. Will there be possibility that mine will be cancelled too? Worry...
I understand it must be so frustrating for you.

kiasumum,
Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately I'm there only 2 weeks later. Aiya, miss it. My nephew is sa big Thomas fan.

Mngo,
Thanks. Its getting colder esp at night.

I'm bringing a fleece sweater and a thick windbreaker for each kid. I believe should be sufficient bah. If v cold, they can layer and wear both. At night will wear normal PJ + a long jones inside. Cos the hotel may not provide electric blanket. I remember its super cold early in morning and at night. Getting excited for the cooool winter hol.

Jun, i'm supposed to fly on tmr midnite. According to agent, SQ now quite frequent cancel flight and combine, thats mean fly twice instead of 3 times daily. Save cost i think.
Just now i was packing and saw my travel insurance, and was wondering if i can claim for this flight delay as it was for more than 6 hrs. Oredy ask hubby to call on tmr. Hope can get some compensation to cure my frustration. haha....

Jun
Actually hotel will have heater.
If they provide heater, then may not need long john. So far all these years, we do not need any long john.

Sparklingcrystal,
Huh, this is so last minute change. Can SQ do that? I thought once its confirmed then won't cancel.Can let me know if really can claim insurance. Then I better also buy the insurance early in case its cancelled too. Hopefully mine is school holiday, so flight will be more full then less chance of cancel. So you will fly the next day morning instead? Hope everything goes well and have a good trip.

Mngo,
Then what do your kids wear at night. Is it just normal long sleeve PJ? I'm staying at Joondalup resort (3 bedrm house) and then farm at MR. Not sure the landed bungalows will have heater or not. We do not even have the layout of the house loh. Sigh.. Got it cheap so can't complain. Hopefully the condition is gd. Farm - I heard could be v cold at night.

Jun
I only have one child. So my boy will only wear a single inside the normal long sleeve fleece PJ.
I think all landed houses will hv reverse cycle stuffs, which can be used as aircon and heater.

hi Jun,
My daughter normal long sleeves and pants. My son wears short sleeve and pants. 8P. I think wearing long johns and pjs can get very uncomfortable at night.

You can get flanette pjs. THis is lightweight and keeps warm. It is around 10 Aud per set here for kids. Or you can get fleece pj for kids. It is like 6 AUD each top n bottom. Big W, target sells them. FLeece and flanette PJs are more effective than wearing normal pjs + long johns.

Jun,
How old are your kids?
If they're babies, its better not to use heater for the whole night when they're sleeping, cos the room can get a bit too hot for them. The best is to layer.
I brought my then 6 mth old baby to Perth in Aug last year and here's what he wore to sleep:-
Singlet
Tights
Long sleeve PJs
Cover with a light blanket.
Was enough for him and sometimes I could even feel him sweating a bit.
But I, was of cos freezing, but what to do, kids tend to have a higher body temp than adults and tolerate the cold better...

Jun,
Hubby called me and said cannot claim coz we are been informed of the change in advance. Claim can only be done if we are oredy in the airport and suddenly they decide to cancel the flight and we only board the flight after a consecutive of 6hrs or more.

Hi mummies,
stumbled upon this thread by chance.

Hi hopeac, mngo, hidora,
nice to see u over here. not sure if u remember me (I posted recently in the other migration thread). So kind of you ladies to dispense valuable infor. to the travellers.

Mngo,
I'm leaving for Perth in early June. Will be taking my niece with me, so will probably do some touristy stuff. Can u advise the walking duration/distance in Jewel Cave and Mammoth, at a leisure pace? I've not been to either.

Was hoping to bring my dd to Monkey Mia, but I guess this is not the right time to go, isn't it? It'll be too cold for anything there.

Do u know if it is possible to drive to Pinnacles in our own 4WD/AWD? Do we need a pass? I went with APT more than 10 years ago, so did not have enough time nor fun to try out sand boarding at the dunes.

Air ticket to Perth
Anyone else looking at going to Perth, Qantas has drop their price to S$593, inclusive of tax for 1 adult ticket. It was at S$702.

hi mummies,
thanks for the advise on the dressing. Will bear that in mind. Maybe because I'm afraid of cold myself so I become quite Kiasu. haha..

Can I seek your comments for a few things:-

1) Is it safe to drive short distance at night? Say if I stay 15 min away from MR town centre at Cowaramup, and I want to drive to town to have dinner, is it ok? Cos I read somewhere that we shouldn't drive at night as there may be kangaroos dashing across the road.

2) I've a problem. My flight is midnight flight on wed. Since all shopping closes at 5.30pm, what do you recommend that I go? I heard Perth airport is very boring. Or is there any eateries near airport that I can hang around till like 10pm? Again, not sure if it's advisable to drive short distance to the airport at 10pm night.

Appreciate your advise. Thanks!

Jun,

Actually we have not seen any roos dashing across the roads yet... Not sure about MR, but certainly not in Perth city and its nearby suburb.

Vic Park has shopping until 9pm.

Hi aly_nat,

We drove to Pinnacles before in a normal sedan. But didn't try out the sand dune. Pinnacles charges an entrance fee of a few bucks per car if I remember correctly.

Aly
Jewel cave is guided tour. It's abt 1 guided tour.
I've not been to monkey mia cos it's too far away.

hidora,
thanks. Do u hv any suggestion as to where else to go from the city, enroute to the Pinnacles and back? We intend to start early (leave home ard 6.30am) and is familiar with night driving. That should give us a bit more time. Is there anywhere that we can stop to see some roos and farm animals? Hv an active 7 year old n a toddler with us.

Any where for fruit picking?Probably not the right season, isn;t it
sad.gif

mngo,
oic. What about Mammoth? Is it just as good? We prefer s'thing free n easy.

Ya, my initial plan was to stay in Riverton for the first 3 days (for the kids to climatise), then head out northwards. And then towards the last few days, go MR or Albany. Still thinking what's the best plan to show my niece ard.

Any suggestions?

aly_nat,

Mammoth cave is self guided tour.

If you want farm animals, best to stop by Caversham Wildlife park in Swan Valley first. Lots of roos, and farm animals. Can play with them and feed them. Else it will have to be the perth zoo. Or AQWA for aquarium life.

There's also New Norcia town - Australia’s only monastic town. We've been there before and it's a lovely places with beautiful chapels.

http://www.google.com.au/images?q=new+norcia&amp;oe=utf-8&amp;rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&amp;client=firefox-a&amp;um=1&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;source=univ&amp;ei=Yuz1S8rhDsKXcbPK3fcL&amp;sa=X&amp;oi=image_result_group&amp;ct=title&amp;resnum=5&amp;ved=0CDgQsAQwBA

hidora,

Thanks. I had a look at the webby. Sounds interesting. Didn't know such a place exist in WA. Will see how I can plan it into the day's outing. Isn't it worth paying for the guided tour, else cannot see the interior of the buildings n chapels, right?

Any comments abt Mandurah? Is it quite as happening as Freo? Had quite enough of Freo by now.

Other than Harbour Town n Subiaco, any new places for shopping at outlet price?

Went to Caversham before. Quite expensive. Wanna look for something cheaper cos only my gal interested. The adults all not keen.

Any idea on fruit picking? Hee hee, still wanna try my luck lah.

aly,
Only citrus fruit is in season in winter. I'm going north to Chittering Valley to try my luck at fruit picking. You can consider this place. I'll give my feedback after I'm back from my trip. http://www.goldengroveorchard.com.au/ I'm making a trip to nearby Gin Gin on the same place to see the bee farm and buy some honey.

hidora,
Do you mind send me the website of the vic park shopping centre? Can't find it on goggle. I only find this but it's opened till 5.30pm on Wed.
http://www.theparkcentre.com.au/

aly_nat,

Gotta pay for the guided tour. It's $20+ for adult. Worth it imo.
happy.gif

Mandurah is boring. I suggest Rockingham. Beautiful lookout.

Can't help you with shopping. Seldom go shopping here. If I do go, it's in Carousel Westfield.
happy.gif

No help with fruit picking too.. sorry.
happy.gif

Jun,

The shopping centre that is open in Vic Park is the one where Woolies is situated.

http://www.hotfrog.com.au/Companies/Woolworths-Victoria-Park

Not a big place, but you can walk out on the streets. Many restaurants and some shops are still open. I guess it's better than the airport in some extend.

Jun
I've been to golden grove orchard. I dont think picking is allowed, however we could hop on tractor and they will drive us around the farm and let us taste the orange.

Hi
This thread really provides alot of info for my planning on perth trip in 3 wks time.
Thanks!
Can anyone tell me whether The Maze is worth visiting? I only have 1.5 days in perth city itself. Planning to go Kings Park, Caversham Wildlife Park and Freemantle only.
We are travelling in a grp of 4 adults + 3 kids.
Travelling along the Perth-Busselton-MR-Augusta-Pemberton-Albany-Perth route.
For accomodation, are they very strict in adhering to the maxi no of guests they indicated in the apt booking website?

Jun,
thanks for the link. We've been there before. As what mngo said, they are only open for fruits and juice tasting, no picking.

Hidora,
Thanks for the recommendation. We will probably visit Rockingham on a day trip. Not too far from Riverton.

I like Carousel too. And the Toysarus just across the road. I managed to pick up a couple of discounted toys on my previous trips.]

Constance,
my take is to be honest with the booking. Whilst they do not conduct checks, these apt. are usually manged by on-site managers who are ard all the time. They are usually familar with their guests. It will be rather embarrassing when found out. Also, it will be strange if u start to ask for extra beddings. You will be provided with the necessary beddings according to your booking. Just my 2-cents worth.

Mngo,
Cuddlyanimal farm sounds like a good bet (definately good enough for my kids). And it's more affordable than Caversham. Caversham charges A$22 per adult!!

Any one with comments about Underwater World (or whatever it's called in WA)? My last visit was more than 10 years ago. Is it worth going? We were at the Sydney one just 2 years back, so quite unwilling to spend the $$ and go. But my 7-year old insist on seeing "nemo"
sad.gif

aly_nat,

That's called AQWA, mentioned in my earlier post. The admission price is more dear than caversham, so not worth it for the adults.

Wanna see fish? Go Cicerellos in Freo...They have big fish tanks with saltwater fishes.

mngo,
What's the diff between Cuddly animal farm and Caversham?

Seems like Carousel Westfield is popular must go for shopping. haha.. How about Karrinyup shopping centre - Good to shop?

I need to buy sunglasses for the kids and myself. Any shop to recommend?

Jun
First - Price. Huge diff!
Next - Cuddly animal farm is a farm! Caversham IS NOT.
Third - Caversham has Roos freely roaming. Cuddly does not.

Sunglasses - it is all the same.

Jun : Karrinyup has the largest Target u know! If u are going to Karrinyup, you can forget abt going to Carousel. Cos they r all the same.

aly_nat
I have booked 3 bedrms apt for most of our nites.
only for the 2 nites at perthcity stay, i cant find an apt which can accomodate our big group of 7. Dats Y i am asking this qn...

Jun,
to me, all the malls in Australia (not just WA) are more or less the same. It's just which is bigger
sad.gif
Of course, there are differing views. Having said that, I'll still head out to Big W/ Best n Less/Target... for some kids' clothes.

If u hv time, check out HarbourTown for factory outlet stuff. They are not as cheap as those in the States, though.

Cuddly is A$10 per person, while Caversham is A$22 per adult, kids (4-12) at A$8. I hope these prices are updated. As the name suggest, Caversham is a wildlife park, so you need more time to walk ard the big park. Took us 3/4 of a day during our last visit becos the kids stop to feed the animals and for the shows. Cuddly seem like a family-run farm. Good for me cos my gal only wants to see n feed the little animals
sad.gif
But u won't get to see animals like wombats.

Constance,
I see. Pls don't take offence to my post.

Back