Perth Holiday - Any Suggestions/Advice/Tips?

kk
wow so shiok extend 2 more days! can explore more places liao
biggrin.gif

moonbaa,

Ya hope it goes through...

That 2 more days will help me cover fremantle and also yanchep
happy.gif
oh and also the strawberry farm at wanneroo
happy.gif

mngo,
Think I'll go try that fish and chips and see whether it's nice. For beach at busselton, can we go down to play with the sand? Cos I know it's more for the observatory. Not sure whether can go to the beach that's near the restaurants. It looks nice from the picture, with the super white sand.... By the way, I plan to go to cottesloe beach and city beach. Are they nice? As in quiet, have shady trees to hide under =P suitable for small kids? So far the best beach my daughter went to is east coast beach haha.. she's never even seen sentosa beach yet.

moonbaa,
haha.... so you really lugging 2 tins around? Your kids drinking enfa too? So strange why they don't sell in 400g or satchets. So many other brands have that.

Wah kk, you are going for 12 days? How old is/are your kids? So good... can go for so many days to enjoy slowly. I find my 8 days too short, got to miss out many activities. But I won't dare to stay for too long cos not sure how my daughter will react there. She's never been overseas for so long.

Shelyn
1) Beach at Busselton -> yes. u all can snorkel or swim there too. very nice beach.

2) I have not been to city beach. Cottesloe is nice but not quiet depending on the season. IT can be really crowded.

3) East Coast beach. U can throw it away lah. That's worst than our Long kang here. hahahahaha.

Shelym
hahaha... sorri :p
but seriously la, in sg, we dun go to beaches .
I've never allowed my son to go to the beach too. Not even near the sand. lol!

shelyn
yup, my kids take enfa & i hv been lugging 2 tins for all my trips. u can actually get the satchets from your PD or buy fr some mummies here in the forum. for me if its a short trip like 2 or 3 days, i also just bring satchets.

mngo
haha... u so funny but i like the way u compare it with long kang.
i also dont bring my kids to our east coast beach, really nothing & not much sand anyway. malaysia beaches are so much better than ours.

moonbaa
err... i hv nothing to compare leh. I can only compare with long kang lor. LOL. I'll be doing Swan River injustice if i compare East Coast park with it.

Oh is burswood park nice? and swan valley foreshore?

I'm looking for parks and beaches near mont clare to go to so that I can bring my daughter there for dinner. U know why? haha... cos she eat faster when she's playing with sand or watever. If eat at home, solely eating, she keep saying 'I don't want' so very frustrating .... since australia has so many nice parks and beaches, don't let it go to waste.

Need to ask mummies who stayed at Mont Clare before. What kind of condiments do they provide for cooking? Oil, salt, sugar, pepper, soy sauce, chilli sauce etc?

moonbaa,
thanks for the suggestion to get from PD. I didn't know that we can get from PD leh hehe... maybe next time when I go for short trips can get. Thanks

Shelyn
U mean Swan River foreshore? Not bad lah.
Burswood park, normal lah. In fact just like many parks here. U should go to Heathcote park at applecross. They have a huge pirate ship playground.
And the park is up the hill.

Hi Shelyn,

Most likely stick to 10 days le.. flying on 5 dec to 14 dec...

SQ many restrictions.. dunno what class E, class Y.. until i no energy to rationalize with them anymore. But they put me on waiting list for 3 dec to 14 dec... but only get to know whether confirmed or not next tuesday. So meanwhile i take it as 10 days ba..

My girl 4 yrs 7 mths by then haha.. last dec brought her to tasmania, pleasant trip
happy.gif
And she is ok with the food too. So no problem if 12 days lor
happy.gif
This year june brought her to HK. Seemed that she prefer aussie to HK. Maybe she find HK boring for her :p Nothing to see.

moonbaa,

Dun intend to drive so far down le.. Prefer the beaches and water rather than trees :p Anyway had been to pemberton and albany before, still prefer MR region
happy.gif

wah singapore got the worst beaches i think hahahahaa... how to compare swan river to ECP? Aussie waters always seem to be so peaceful and quiet, and really makes one feel good
happy.gif

mngo,
ok will see whether heathcote park is easy to go to. Thanks for the recommendation.

moonbaa,
I think i'll bring or buy my own then. Not even sure whether their's has been kept there for long or not...

kk,
yah the airlines alwiz got this class and that class don't even know what they're talking about. I was choosing between HK, taiwan and australia for this dec trip. In the end chose australia cos it's known to be very child-friendly which is impt for my very troublesome girl. I heard HK is very unfriendly, even the supposedly most child-friendly disneyland is also very unchild-friendly. My sis is bringing her 18mth girl there in oct, so see what she says...

haha... now I know how bad sg beaches are... I didn't know they are so lousy haha... my daughter has been quite happy to go to ECP so far =P

Hi Shelyn,

HK can be cold in dec i heard. And ya lor, nothing much to see and do, except shopping. And everywhere u go, longgggg queuesssss... so not convenient to bring a such a young one along.

Aussie is the place where we can plan our timing.. OTOT... good
happy.gif

Taiwan also not quite suitable. U need to catch the trains, etc... inconvenient lah..

HK disneyland sigh... can queue until ur anger built up hahaha... all the china pple there. Push here push there.. horrible.

For kids hor, they are happy no matter where we bring them to haha..

shelyn,
I think it is better to buy in perth. You can get corn oil, peanut oil, sugar, soya sauce and chilli sauce at any supermarket. Australia is very strict on food stuff you bring in. First you need to declare the stuff you bring in and if they are open or made in certain location, you may need to dump them. It is really too troublesome.

hopeac,
oh... I didn't know australia is so strict. Sigh... I intend to bring things like rice, bee hoon etc can or not? Cos not sure whether my daughter can get used to the food there, and bee hoon being very asian foodstuff might not be able to find it easily. Bee Hoon is my daughter's favourite food, together with dried mushroom.

Also, my first day there, by the time I chk in apt, might not have time to go supermkt to buy food to cook liao. Intended to cook bee hoon soup for her. Is it ok if I bring in unopened ones? I wanted ro bring some ingredients like carrot, dried mushroom etc that is easy to bring and can last so that 1st night at least I can cook for her...

Shelyn
u can buy beehoon at any supermarket . All of them have a dedicated asian grocery aisle.
Please DO NOT bring carrot because it's vegetable. You will have to throw it away at customs.
You can bring unopened dried mushroom.
Do not bring fruits/vegetables, meat , fish products pls.

Shelyn
Your girl ... may end up liking the food here, and rejecting singapore food when she returns to sg.
It happened to my boy actually. After he had his first taste of really fresh milk here, he refused Singapore made milk.

Also, food here is like singapore, in fact taste better. So why you worry abt your daughter not getting used to the food?

At most go Macdonald or KFC lor

mngo,
wah thanks for telling me. I didn't know that Australia is so strict regarding food... even vege also cannot. Usu it's raw meat that's banned. Ok. I think I'll not bring anything in then just to save all the trouble.

hmm.... my girl doesn't even eat mac or kfc in sg leh. We tried not to expose her to fastfood too early and end up now that we hope she can eat them, she doesn't really like them. She'll eat at most 2-3 french fries and that's it. When we eat at fastfood, the only thing she likes is the soft drink or milo. Food wise she's not that interested.

Anyway, my hubby and I have decided that she'll just eat whatever is available. If she doesn't eat then she'll just go hungry, then she'll eat whatever we give haha. Last resort would be to give her instant baby food loh. She's ok with Heniz and Raffrey Garden.

If you bring anything in, remember to declare. It is really not worth getting caught.

mngo,
I thought you can get dried mushrooms in perth?

hopeac
Yea we can get dried mushrooms. But i tot if shelyn wanna bring, then i think it's allowed (as compared to bringing carrots in!!).

shelyn,

i just came back from perth last weekend and i stayed in Mont Clare. There is no cooking condiments provided except for coffee, tea and sugar..

There are 2 supermarkets nearby; the nearest one is Carlton Fresh, about 3 mins walking distance from the apartment; and it opens till 12mn daily. The other one is another 3 mins walk and that has a bigger selection of asian grocery.

Hope the info help.

Hi cynt,
thanks for the info. It is really helpful for me. Are these 2 supermarkets big? If there is a good selection of stuff there than probably I won't bring in the food then. Save the trouble of declaring and checking. There is also a Coles supermarket that's near Mont Clare issit? I think it's just a 2-3 min drive away at Newcastle Street?

How is the apartment? Did u take 1 or 2 bedroom apt? Is dish and clothes detergent provided? Anything I need to take note of when I check in?

Hehe... sorry for so many qns.... =P

My 2 kids are 2.5 and 5yrs and I only brought a tin of milk powder as I want to save the hassle at immigration. I past through with a breeze...

The one further down the road is bigger and you can basically get everything you need there just that there are limited brands to choose unlike in the bigger supermarkets. They sell fresh food like veg, meat, poultry too.

I did not go to the one at Newcastle street but I saw it while on the road, it's pretty near.

I took the 2 bedroom apt and the condition is ok. Yes, detergents are provided but the washing machine is a 2-in-1 machine as in the dryer is the same machine. It takes forever to complete the cycle and the clothes are still damp and I had to leave the clothes to sun. I ended up doing the rest of the laundry at Margaret River.

Note that there is no rice cooker if you intend to cook rice...

You need the access card to get to the carpark; so park your car in front of the apartment to complete your check-in before heading to the carpark.

Everything will be fine; my girl is a fussy eater too and we just give her a bit of everything to try and by the 3rd day, i think to succumb to hunger and ate dinner by her own, something that she's never done back home.
happy.gif

Hi cynt,
I think your situation is quite similar to mine. My girl will also be about 2.5yr old when she goes there. She's super fussy eater so I think I'll do what you did and let her feel hungry. Save the hassle of me getting frustrated at her for not eating and preventing me from enjoying the trip haha...

Thanks for the supermarket info. Will pay a visit to buy fresh products. So wont have to bring my own.

I was also wondering whether they have rice cooker. Expected that it wont be provided cos not many pp would cook rice there. Maybe for washing clothes can put them in at nite while we go to bed. Next morning then take out to su nhaha... When I'm there, it will be summer time so wont be a problem to sun the clothes I think. Shd be able to dry quite fast.

Where did you stay at Margaret River? I'm staying at Sunflower Animal Farm. Already mentally prepared for the rundown and not-so-clean condition but would be a good experience to stay at a farm. Can spend more time playing with the animals too if my girl is not keen on other activities.

I stayed in Margarets Forest which is about 2 mins walk to the town center of Margaret River. Very nice and clean apartment...

I went to sunflower farm too, I'm sure your girl will be delighted with so many animals around.

I saw the apartment at Sunflower, from the outside, it looks decent.

hi mummies

thinking of bringing my 2yr old boy to perth this Nov/Dec, can mummies advise on the weather then ? will it be too hot since it's summer ???

Hi mummies,

So happy SQ confirmed my waitlist status and i will be flying on the 3 dec instead of 5 dec. Yeh! 2 more days for my trip!!

kk
u mean 2 more MONTHS??
biggrin.gif

its 3 more days for me
happy.gif

still hv not packed anything yet, only started printed out my back up maps.

moonbaa,

Oh i mean 2 extra days for my itinerary haha!

Wah if 2 more days to my upcoming trip, i would be busily happily packing luggages le :p

Hi,

Glad to find this thread. I'm thinking of a trip to perth in late Oct/early Nov. Is anyone going around then too? Any advice on the weather? It seems the current weather is already ard 25 deg. Hence I suspect in early Nov it'll be 28 deg? So would normal wear for kids would be fine (Long Sleeve & long pants), and perhaps a sweater?

Hi mngo,

Thanks for the advice. Haha, that's good. So just wear like in SG will do.

What abt evening? Does it get quite cold? Will kids need long sleeve or a sweater?

Hi,

Does anyone have any comments abt the following accomodation in Perth?

-HomefromHome
-Travelodge
-Comfort Hotel

Hi mngo,

hehe...thk your boi is well accustomed liao.

btw, I'm not sure if I can go in Nov liao..it's a bit rush. Alternative will be in autumn, which is Mar/Apr. Wld that be a gd time?

This is my boy's 1st trip. He's coming to 4. When I tried to prep him abt the trip, and gauge his interest, he's not quite interested in animals and neither is he interested in the beach. Only thing he said he was interested in is strawberry farm (but which i understand is more of selling strawberries than picking strawberries). Does Swan Valley have many fruit orchards? It doesn't seem to be so. I don't really know what other activities could there be, and I'm afraid he may be bored. I originally wanted a 6 day trip. Then I decided to cut short to 5 days, now I'm thinking if I should just do 4 days. Do you have any interesting activities to suggest for kids (besides the usual farm, zoo, penguin island, beach stuff?)

I was originally planning something like this.
Day 1: Sin-Perth. Arrive at 3pm on Fri. Harbortown outlet shopping at night.
Day 2: Fremantle, and drive up north along the coast
Day 3: Swan Valley - Chocolate Factory, Vineyard, Strawberry Farm, Cuddly Animal Farm or Whiteman Park, The Maze
Day 4: Penguin Island, Kings Park
Day 5: Perth Zoo, Perth Mint, PER-SIN

Any comments on the itinerary? I figured if he's not very interested, then each activity won't take too long.

Is the Maze worth going to?

Maybe only food will attract him. Any recommended must try eating places?

I tried emailing to enquire abt accomodation. Nobody has replied at all..i wonder if they check their email.

zoom,
if your boy is not interested in all these farm / animals stuffs, then you may want to consider another place interesting for him.

halo mummies,
all taking a break from the planning ah? haha.. so quiet.

I just realise 2 days ago that actually my planning is very sparse leh. For the 7 days that I'm there, I m visiting only a few places. Can anyone give some comments on my planning?

Day 1: Arrive Perth around 3+pm. Collect car from airport, go to apartment, go supermarket, prepare dinner. Go King's Park.

Day 2: Caversham Wildlife Park, Whiteman Park.

Day 3: Cottesloe Beach in morning, Frementle for lunch. Nap in afternoon. Shopping in a suburban mall (Thursday night so malls opened til 9pm).

Day 4: Supermarket shopping / Harbourfront Town shopping in morning. Leisure drive to MR farmstay from around 10.30am til 4pm. Stop by beaches, Busselton for fish and chips. Farm activities at MR.

Day 5: Visit factories, wineries at MR. Farm activities.

Day 6: Farm activities in morning. Drive back to Perth from around 11am til 3pm. Stop midway for lunch. Leisure evening.

Day 7: (no plans yet) Maybe The Maze or fruit orchard. Or shopping.

Day 8: Last min shopping at supermarket. Travel to airport at around 10am for 12noon flight.

Is it too empty? Will I have too much free time?
Or it's just nice?

Hi Shelyn,

Ur itinerary not bad lah, just that it looks brief, that's why u thought its empty :p

Will share with u my itinerary later.. going out walk walk soon :p

Hi Shelyn,

Mine is as follows
happy.gif
wow, really looking forward to the trip. Term 4 is really hectic
sad.gif

Day 1:
Caversham Wildlife Park
Oggies Ice Cream Cafe
Mondo Nougats

Day 2:
Whiteman Park
The Maze

Day 3:
Sunflowers Animal Farm

Day 4:
Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse
Simmos Ice Creamery
Mammoth Cave

Day 5:
Berry Farm
Candy Cow
MR Providore
MR Chocolate Factory
MR Nuts and Cereals

Day 6:
Cape Lavendar
Ballingup Lavendar Farm
The Real River Company
Donnybrook Apple Fun Park

Day 7:
Yallingup Shearing Shed
Wonky Windmill Farm

Day 8:
Abingdon Miniature Village

Day 9:
MacNuts WA
Penguin Island

Day 10:
Fremantle Markets and ESheds
Fremantle Chocolate Factory

Day 11:
Wanneroo Strawberry Farm and Tea Gardens
Apricot Acres Farm
Golden Grove Orchard
Regans Ridge Olive Farm

Day 12:
Kings Park Federation Walkway
Lotterywest Playground
Flight Home

Kk
Ya 8 weeks just passed so fast! Its been a wonderful trip. weather was good – nice & cool except the last 2 days in perth, it started to get warm & flies are beginning to invade everywhere.

The swan riverside apartment is excellent! Its exactly what u see in their website. But will be perfect if the other 2 rooms are airconditioned. Actually we didn’t even on the aircon except the last 2 days, as the weather is cool enough with the evening breeze when the balcony door/ window is opened. the owner (deirdre) is nice, even prepare bread & milk for us though we not arriving late. there's games & toys for the kids too. the apartment is well stock with other cooking amenities but i didnt cook this trip as my kiddos are ok with tapao food. actually i lazy to cook lah
biggrin.gif

I hv visited most of the places in my planned itinerary except the strawberry field coz the weather is simply too hot to be under the sun without any sunblock. I aready kena sunburn on my face
sad.gif

Mummies going to perth soon or during summer, please don’t forget to bring along sunscreen.

day 1
arrive perth, overnight at swan riverside apt

day 2
mandurah - abingdon miniature village
actually nothing much but my boy enjoyed the miniature train & my gal enjoyed the playground

mandurah foreshore
we spent quite some time here as my kids enjoyed so much playing in the playground & chasing after seagulls. There’s a pelican too, & it can even posed to take pics, really funny & cute.
Tried Miami bakehouse, not that good although won many awards.

busselton jetty
stop by just to take some photos since the observation centre is closed

overnight at Wynham vacation resort, dunsborough . (nice apartment)

day 3
yallingup shearing shed (show @ 11am)

country life farm
not many animals but enough for my city kids. There’s boat rowing, merry go round, outdoor & indoor playground. Free flow of coffee tea for all.

simmo ice creamery fun park – yummy ice cream

stop by MR town centre for some grocery shopping.

overnight at MR hideaway
weather is superb cool, stayed in their 3 room cottage & 1st time experience in setting up the fireplace.
There’s only 1 aircon in the living room, although we don’t need it for our trip but mummies who is planning to stay here pls note. Not sure how warm it will be during summer.

day 4
animal feeding @ 9am
as its not a working farm so animals are few, but good enough to experience farm stay.

berry farm
the garden is pathetic, probably not in season for berries. But their jams are yummy & i like their strawberry sparkling wine. There’s a playground so kids can play while we grab abite.

cape leeuwin
the view is spectacular! Unfortunately i didn’t go up the lighthouse as my boy is underage. Strictly for kisa 4 yrs abv & hv to climb up themselves as the stairs are very steep. So my hubby went up with my gal. I spotted a whale too while waiting for them to finish the lighthouse tour.

MR fudge factory
Free tasting for fudge & they hv fremantle choc as well. Maybe its from the same company.

day 5
candy cow
very cute & nice shop. The making of honeycomb is @11am

cape lavender
stop for lunch. Their lavender white wine & sparkling wine is good.

MR nuts & cereal
MR choc factory – much bigger than the one at swan valley

Stopby mandurah centro for break & some shopping then head back to perth

day 6
golden grove orchard
was a fun & fruitful trip! Set on the tractor ride to the orchard & sample different types of orange & grapefruit. I must say they got the sweetest orange i ever eaten. Really different fr those we got fr supermarket. We bought abt 10 big oranges back & realised its not even enough!! Regretted, should hv bought more.
The sun was scorching hot so decided to give the strawberry field a miss. Don’t want to risk the kids getting sunburn coz i didn’t bring along any sunblock, just hats for them.
Pass by a huge playground along scenic drive @ wanneroo so stop by for the kids to play.

mondo nougat factory

midland mall - late nite shopping

day 7
kings park - federation walkway & lotterywest playground
the playground is really big with different sections, we spent hours here.

eshed market
just grab some souveniors, didn’t try kailis fish & chips as we decide to head back early for packing

day 8
drop by for lunch at nearby mall before heading to airport
home sweet home

Back