Perth Holiday - Any Suggestions/Advice/Tips?

Aspring
Oh yea... i remember! :D:D .....
I like that restaurant food very much too!
I have not tried their hor fan. Everytime we go, we always order their roast duck. Maybe i'll try order hor fan next time.

Singapore coffeeshop zhi char stall really getting more and more cannot make it leh! The hor fan in sg is like mass produce, and then when we order, they just pour the gravy onto the kway teow.

Mngo

Glad you still can remember me
happy.gif

Ya, especially food court food really cannot make it. Feel really sad and surprise a angmo country chinese food taste better than Singapore one.

kk
i already enquired liao, rates not that cheap. i read the review, for their 3 bedrooms, 1 of them also no aircon wor. carpark is small & apartment is old.
not many owners are willing to take in my 1st night in perth, only able to take my last 3 nights so either i stay put at verandah or i may reconsider swan riverside again lor.

hi,
I just came back from Natas fair. Got lots of brochures for Perth and MR and booked my air ticket. Finally confirmed that I am going Perth from 30 Nov til 7 Dec. More or less confirm staying at Mont Clare and MR Hideaway. Now waiting for them to confirm availability.

I would like to ask for some nice shopping centres to visit at Perth. I am interested in buying clothes (kids/adults), shoes etc... normal things that we find in shopping centres. So far I only know of Harbour Town. Is there any other shopping centres that sell cheap and nice clothing? I think I read somewhere in earlier post that there are some shopping centre with playground/play area for kids. May I know which are these? Are there nice things to buy?

Also, as Australia is known for their fish and chips, is there any recommendation for nice fish and chips that is not too pricey? I would like to try out at Perth and MR.

Oh, lastly, if I am staying at Mont Clare, which is the nearest big supermarket where I can shop for goodies to bring back home? Thanks to mngo, I find out that there are a number of supermarkets near Mont Clare but I don't know which are the bigger and smaller ones...

moonbaa,

An australian in tripadvisor said northbridge really got aboriginal element wor.. so reconsider? Dunno how nasty the pple will be, but then generally the pple there still pretty warm and friendly.

Shelyn,

Haha i wanted to leave on 30 nov too. But my friend holding her wedding on 4 dec, that's why i can only wait until 5 dec for departure.

Maybe i check with my hubby's auntie on the shopping part and get back to u? She is a citizen there for years already.

For fish and chips, i definitely recommend cicerellos!!! This is their website which i found yesterday. I still miss their fish and chips with vinegar added (by ourselves)!

http://www.cicerellos.com.au/

Sherlyn
Big supermarkets are Coles, Woolworths, Progressive IGA. The other ones r small scale type.
The small scale type can range from size of provision shop to size of a smaller NTUC.
Big Scale ones are like Giant and Carrefour's supermkt section.

KK
Cicerellos ... the fish and chip is really not realy good now. It's very touristy. Then is sort of 'more soggy' than some other places we tried.
We've tried sweet lips and its good.
I've tried some other smaller no name F&C and they r much better than Cicerellos.

shelyn
u got good deals fr natas? which airline & how much? i still hv not booked my tickets yet
biggrin.gif

personally i feel harbourtown nothing much, except probably can find some good buys fr pumpkin patch & sheridan. think u can buy more stuff from suburban mall. u may consider westfield carousel which is a mega mall & there's a playarea for kids there. http://westfield.com.au/carousel/
for supermarket, there's a woolworths in perth city centre but if u are visiting one of the suburban mall, there are usually big supermarkets inside the mall.

kk
generally aussies are nice ppl but usually its under the influence of alcohol one becomes ugly. so after much consideration, we may just go back to swan riverside, provided its still avail. i very sian sourcing for apts liao.

mngo
where is sweet lips? dont mind to try if its not to far away. wanted to try kailis this time instead of the usual cicerellos.

moonbaa,

Oh ya hor, now i can have 3 nights stay at swan riverside. Recently i wanted the jetties on bouvard remember? That would mean i can have only 2 nights in perth itself. But swan riverside need 3 nights minimum. Hmmm ya lor, maybe i revert back to swan riverside. Quest harbour village at fremantle is good, but costly! It burst my budget.

mngo,

Forum mentioned there is one close competitor to cicerellos at fremantle along the same stretch. WHich is it?

moonbaa,

My email correspondence with swan riverside seem very strange haha.. i always didn't manage to get their reply, and they didn't get mine too. hmmmm.. i emailed them again and see.. maybe no yuan fen, that's why :p

kk
u can try to negotiate with swan riverside, they are quite flexible & nice owners. so far i hv no problem corresponding with them, they usually will reply. but u confirm u want the jetty villa? i find that most apt/ hse in stayz.com actually need a min 4 or 5 nights, esp those nice ones.

i think the other fish & chips u meant is kailis? which i plan to try this trip. its actually next to cicerellos.

moonbaa,

i dun want the jetties anymore cos they want me to fill in one credit card authorisation form. Do u think its safe? Unless i go interbank transfer again. Sian.

Kailis.. i saw in a brochure today, which i got from natas
happy.gif

moonbaa,

Can negotiate with swan? Hmmm dunno... if can reduce to 2 nights, maybe i try 2 nights with them and 2 nights with quest harbour village at fremantle.

For swan, stayz.com say 2 nights only leh.. dunno why the owner reply me back say need 3 nights min.

U stay how many nights with them?

Hi Shelyn,

Reply from my hubby's aunt
happy.gif

There is one shopping centre in city called Harbour Town. They are outlet brand name shopping centre. I hardly go there as I like Garden City which is closed to us. Your friend can click on the website and see if that's what they want. When you come in December, it is good time as summer clothes will be on sale as they prepare for autumn. I think we have better kids clothing than s'pore and M'sai. I bought one cute T shirt for your girl unfortunately when mum and Sar yeee took a look, and they said it was too small. see for yorself when you come. As for kids playground, not sure if there is any in Harbour Town. December is too hot to saty in playground anyway!

moonbaa,
ok I'll go to westfield carousel for shopping. It looks much more interesting than Harbourtown...

Actually I didn't really get a good deal from Natas. I booked Qantas 2A1C for $1865 promo price. However, I checked earlier (days before Natas fair) that I can actually get the same tickets for $1805 but I thought there will be even better deals at Natas that's why I did not book... end up paying more. And my 1st preference date/timing was sold out so had to compromise a little. But one good thing is that the agency offered to help us apply for visa. And I also got insurance at 45% discount at $60+ for family package for 8 days tour. So end up gain a bit and lose a bit lor. A lot of free brochures though haha...

hmmm.... seems like I must make it a point to go to either Kailis or Sweet lips for fish and chips though they seem a little out of place.

mngo,
so all the supermarkets under coles, woolworth etc are very big issit? cos I thought even among these big chains, there are small branches too. If they are all big then makes it easier for me to choose where to go. Thanks

kk
i dont think its safe to fill up the credit card form unless its online payment.
i'm staying 4 nights at swan riverside but its break up into 1 night (upon arrival) & my last 3 nights. maybe dec its peak season so its min. 3 nights?

mngo
thanks, will try to slot in my itineary if time permits
happy.gif

Hi kk,
thanks for taking the time to ask your aunt. Garden City looks good too haha.... Maybe I'll give harbourtown a miss cos it looks quite boring to me

Shelyn
Yes... coles, woolworths r as big as giant lor.
U wont get to see the normal NTUC size coles.
Unless is at petrol station, then there is like a small supermkt there.

The big chains with small branches is IGA.

shelyn
i know qantas having promo now, will probably book qantas too by next week if no promo for SQ.
personally i feel suburban malls are more worth a visit than harbourtown.

Hi mummies,
can I check with you whether it is safe to provide credit card number, expiry date and the 3-digit security code for booking apt over email? Margaret River Hideaway requires me to provide them with these over email.... isn't that very dangerous?

Just a thought. This is what my Ex boss said about paying over the internet

"
People are so worried about paying by credit card over the internet. Though emails and ecommerce system can be hacked, and it actually takes quite a bit of work. But in actual fact, chances are actually much lower than someone actually getting your credit card at the restaurant/cafe and copying down your details then passing it around.
"

Do you agree?

Hi moonbaa,

I kinda confirmed my accommodation le. For my last 4 nights, 2 nights will be at jetties @ bouvard and last 2 at fremantle quest harbour village. Dun want to think anymore le..

kk
thats great! i'm surprised jetties take in 2 nights, but the place looks really nice!
biggrin.gif
do feedback after your trip.
i also very tired sourcing liao so hv decided to take swan riverside, for the 1st time without aircon, hopefully weather is really mild & cool.

moonbaa,

Ya its 3 nights minimum but the owner is ok with 2 nights heehee.. i can't bear to let it go, so in the end booked it lor.. instead of credit card authorisation form, i did bank transfer.

Just booked quest harbour village at fremantle le. So my accommodation all settled
happy.gif

kk
i also booked my air tickets liao, now everything settled, back to my original itineary. no more headahes
biggrin.gif
, can finally look forward to the trip.

Hi Moonbaa,

Like to check with u where is this wanneroo strawberry farm? Just did a search and wanneroo markets seem interesting too
happy.gif

Is it on the way from perth to yanchep? Perhaps a 30 min drive?

kk
What is the name of the strawberry farm?
If the farm is along Wanneroo road, then yes, it's on the way from Perth to Yanchep. Yanchep is further.

kk
i'm going to the strawberry fields tea garden, along wanneroo road. its abt 35mins drive fr perth, like wat mngo has mentioned, its on the way to yanchep.

moonbaa,
which airline did you book? Let me know how the strawberry fields is ok? But don't know whether it's still in season when I go in dec.... i wish to let my daughter try some strawberry picking.

mngo,
can i ask whether the shopping malls at perth are similar? Originally I intend to go to both carousel and midland on 2 separate days. But actually both me and my hubby are not into shopping. We just would like to see whether there's anything nice to buy back. If most are the same then probably I'll just go to one. We feel bored shopping actually haha.... even in sg, we just shop for 1 hr already feel like going home. We enjoy shopping at supermarket though. My friend recommends that I buy cotton on and Bonds brand of kids clothing as it's cheap. Can I get them from the 2 shopping malls? Is there any other brands of clothing worth buying?

Also, Kings park is very big. When people say they go to Kings Park, are they referring to the botanical gardens? I don't want to go to the wrong part of the big garden haha... and is there ample free parking? I read some mummy saying she and her daughter enjoyed rolling down the grass slope during winter. Is it advisable to do that during summer as well? are all the insects out from hibernating already?

There are also people who mention swamps of flies during summer. Is it really so bad? I get irritated by flies very easily leh hehe... I can't stand them. And I'm going for Sunflower farmstay. Is it going to be so bad?

oops... i just realise I have so many questions. Must be quite irritating like the flies now =P

moonbaa,

U have the name of the field tea garden?
happy.gif

shelyn,

I hope strawberries are in season when we are there.. we always never miss strawberries when we went australia
happy.gif
my daughter enjoyed strawberry picking when she was in tasmania last dec
happy.gif
And she can remember until now
happy.gif

Shelyn
1) Shopping
All the same, like singapore malls where you see Giordano, Bossini, U2, G2000, Popular shop every where . Just go anyone will do. U can get Cotton On at Carousel . They hv Cotton On kids and Adults.
U can get it at Midland as well.

2)Kings Park
Kings Park = Botanical Garden. When you want to visit King's Park, there are a few entrances. Just make sure you go by Frasers Avenue entrance. That's like the main entrance to the park where it overlooks the Swan River.

Summer is THE time INSECTS WILL COME OUT!

Swarms of flies - not every place lah!!!
Depends on where. U may hv to get a housefly net for your hat. lol.

shelyn
i booked qantas, coz SQ promo is for 1am flight which i'm not keen. although prefer SQ but rather save the $1K over for travelling expenses.
sure, will feedback on the strawberry field. i'm not sure if its in season for picking though. i'm also visiting the orange farm, should still hv some oranges by the time i'm there.

kk
i only know it as strawberry field tea garden, not sure the exact name, i got their tel & address fr google. will let u know when i'm back.

moonbaa,

Sigh after some adjustment, think i won't have time for the farm. Will drop by orange grove orchard the last morning there, before catching flight back to singapore in the afternoon.

Hmmm is orange grove orchard better or raeburns orchard better? i can't go two, only either one.

mngo,

If i didn't remember wrongly, those are fruitflies ya and won't bite, correct?

Hi ladies,

This is my itinerary. Pls give me lots and lots of feedback, whether its too rush..

Day 1:

Reach Perth Airport
Pick Up Car
Reach Margaret River
Reach Sunflowers Animal Farm
To Mammoth Cave
Check In at Acacia Chalets

Day 2:

To Dunsborough
Reach Cape Naturalise Lighthouse
Reach Sugarloaf Rock
Reach Simmos Ice Creamery
To Margaret River Providore
To Margaret River Diary Company
Return to Acacia Chalets

Day 3:

To Berry Farm
To Margaret River Fudge Factory
To Margaret River Beverages
To Cape Lavendar
To Margaret River Nuts & Cereals
To Busselton
Reach Busselton and Check in The Dolphin House

Day 4:

To Ferguson Valley
Reach Gnomesville
To Balingup Lavendar Farm
To Old Goldfields Orchard
To Margaret River Chocolate Factory
To Busselton
Return Dolphin House

Day 5:

To Yallingup
Reach Yalingup Shearing Shed
Shearing Show
Shearing Show Ends and Tour of Shed
To Canal Rocks
To Candy Cow
To Busselton
Reach Busselton Jetty
Return to The Dolphin House

Day 6:

To Mandura
To Abingdon Miniature Village
To Mandurah Terrace Sweet Hearts English Candy
To Mandurah Dolphin Quay
To Port Bouvard
Reach Bouvard and Check In Jetties on Bouvard

Day 7:

To Rockingham
Reach Rockingham Mersey Point Jetty
Catch Ferry to Penguin Island
Reach Penguin Island
Penguin and Sea Lion Cruise
Leave Penguin Island to Rockingham Mersey Point Jetty
Leave Jetty to MacNuts WA
To Mandurah
Return to Jetties on Bouvard

Day 8:

To Swan Valley
Reach Swan Valley Wagon Trail
Start Trail
End Trail and Leave for Fremantle
Reach Fremantle and Check in Quest Harbour Village
Dinner at Fishing Boat Harbour

Day 9:

To Swan Valley
Reach the Maze
Leave the Maze to Caversham Wildlife Park
Reach Caversham Wildlife Park
Farm Show
Wombat and Friends Show
To Mondo Nougats
To Fremantle
Reach Fremantle and Dinner at Fishing Boat Harbour

Day 10:

To Chittering Valley
Reach Orange Grove Orchard
To Airport
Reach Airport and Return Car
Check In and Lunch
Flight Home

KK
Fruit flies are the small little flies right?
There are a lot of houseflies here, huge houseflies which we could mistaken them as bee.

KK
You may want to rework the itinerary.
MR Providore is next to MR chocolate factory. They are "Same company"

MR Nuts and Cereal seems to be along the same way as the choc factory.

MR Fudge factory - a small little pathetic shop is right in the MR town(City)

Let me check the address / map. Will let you know later.

Day 2:

To Dunsborough
Reach Cape Naturalise Lighthouse
Reach Sugarloaf Rock
Reach Simmos Ice Creamery
To Margaret River Providore
-> Move this to day 3 together with Cape
Lavender and Nuts Cereal Company
To Margaret River Diary Company
Return to Acacia Chalets

Day 3:

To Berry Farm
To Margaret River Fudge Factory
To Margaret River Beverages
To Cape Lavendar
To Margaret River Nuts & Cereals
To Busselton
Reach Busselton and Check in The Dolphin House

Hihi!

i juz returned fr my perth trip... it's tiring!! but very very fun!! :D

we toured ard perth city n margaret river.. perth city is rather boring compared to MR..would hav spent more time at MR instead if i knew tt earlier.. :p

went to whiteman park n caversham park.. took the train ride which the kids enjoyed.. caversham park's farm animal show is quite interesting.. we get to milk the cow and see wool sheering...

went to bell tower.. the bells r really big.. managed to witness bell ringing tt day.. abit disappointed tt they strike randomly with no specific melody..

took at cruise to fremantle n shopped at their weekend market.. nothing much to do there except for the market..

went bunbury dolphin discovery centre on our way to MR... was quite sad tt we didn't get to see any dolphin... same people there with binoculars managed to catch a few far away... but the dolphins didn't swim near beach tt day...

enjoyed the most at MR.. tractor rides, bottle feeding, animal feeding and egg collecting at the farm.. the kids oso enjoyed pony rides every morning..
happy.gif
went to choco company, fudge factory and candycow too..

on the way back, we went to Busselton jetty.. but sadly, it's still under construction.. went Mandurah n wanted to go to Miami bakehouse.. but it's closed by the time we reached.. ended up at cicerellos instead... fish n chip so so only..

overall, enjoyed the weather except for the dryness.. :p

kk
i chose orange grove becoz its spring when i'm there & only citrus fruit still available. actually i would like to drop by old goldfields orchard for their apples (royal gala & granny smith)but not in season. their apple theme park looks fun.

are u taking the 1am flight? i feel your day 1 may be tiring. with the driving to MR, followed by sunflower farm & mammoth cave.

in addition to what mngo has suggested, i think u can move candy cow to day 3 coz its along the way fr berry farm, going up to cape lavender. i would think u can give MR choc fudge a miss since u are visiting candy cow.

for day 5, u may like to add in a visit to country life farm or wonky windmill farm or any other place u may like to visit since u are in yallingup area. just my 2 cents opinion.

Hi Shihui,

Any photos to share? ha ha.. 1st question to ask mummies who are back from trips :p

Ya, when me and hubby went there in 2004, the city area was really boring and shops closed early around 4 pm even though its summer. The streets can be quiet and nothing to see and do. We loved MR region too. Regret not spending much time there due to tour group constraint, so decided to self drive and spend more time there this dec
happy.gif

Sigh the train ride at whiteman park only from wed to sun, something like tat right? we will only be there on mon/tues so won't be manage to catch it leh.

Based on your good comments, i guess i stick to caversham park then. I was thinking whether to drop caversham and go to yanchep instead.

I will be staying in fremantle for 2 nights but the way i plan my itinerary, seem like i won't have time in fremantle itself haha.. most of the time in swan valley.

Anything interesting at fudge factory and candy cow? Worth dropping by?

Wonder whether the jetty will be ready by early dec sigh.. may not hor? then we go there walk walk only. Miss the underwater observatory again
sad.gif

Back