Mummies staying at Clementi / Dover / Commonwealth

Hi Veron & Preciousthot,

Latest update: 1 more case in N2 and 1 new case in N1......... Sigh.....

Veron, yr gal had HFMD last week or this week? Cos last week still 1 case but this Tuesday, 6 cases.. Glad that your gal was recovering! Normally HFMD takes around 7 or 10 days to recover?

Yr gal start in Oct not too bad, Dec is the mad period!! So many kids crying & screaming.. It affects my boy badly, till now he still don't really like going to school but at least he had accepted that fact that he got to attend school.

Hi mums! Agree, HFMD spreads veri fast amongst todds coz they're stl learning abt hygiene too. There are various strains of HFMD so if u kid comes down w it fr sch, chances r e same strain is going around so u kid wld become immune to it.

That's what happened w my B1 while she was in Agape One-North. She came down w it when she was 22MO & til she left just before her 4th b'day, she did nt catch it agn. This tho last yr alone (her last yr there) there were like 5-6 cycles of HFMD. This said, whenever it happened I also tried to kp her out of sch for a wk or up to 2. However the situation @ One-North was really bad, I mean there was usually only a 1-2M all-clear period before another round of HFMD emerged. That plus chkn pox & even H1N1 in my gal's class... Gd thing I had already stopped wk to look after B2 bt it was stl a tiring & trying period for me whenever such infectious diseases cropped up @ One-North.

For those of us w more than 1 kid, e worry is always whether our other kids were gonna get infected too... :-S

I hope e situation improves so all ur kids can settle in/down smoothly. I know that wld b a huge load off ur chests. Take care! :)

some more cases? die..
Over the xmas weekend, she was already whining. so should have got the virus last week..When I report her case on tuesday morning, it was the 2nd case..so now is 7 cases in N2 and 1 in N1?

I'm not going to bring her to school ,at least not next week!!Lucky I'm SAHM so can keep her by my side.
I just wondered if I bring her back to school e..g the week after next,will she get affected again??Or I keep her with me for one month?;o

How to prevent the virus spread to other kid and adult(esp old folk)?Do I spray sterilizing spray around the house regularly?

sorry pastries..why i so blur?..she starts school in dec, not Oct..U r right! Lots of kids are crying for those first few days.

Hi
Oh dear! Total 8 cases! Not Gd news for such new cc.
Hmm any idea wat is e max quota to close e center? Sigh
It's such a hassle for working mum to take leave too.
Other cc I hv enquired n they r quite new too n been ard for 1 yr n so far no breakouts at all. I m stil wondering y the first case fr n2 boy they never inspected properly n in fact it's e mum who found out n called up informed school tt her boy has spots tt evening.

Another thing. Do u know how many times they check temp in a day? Other cc I heard is 3-4 times per day morning, lunch, teabreak tt kind .

Veron, yup total 8 in N2 & 1 in N1, 1 in N2 has recovered already.

Yr girl settles down quite fast ya, my boy till now still whine in the morning.

Kite, u also enrolled yr kid to Agape Clementi?
According to the school, the 1st boy didn't attend school that day.

They check temp 2 times a day, now is 3 times a day.

Agreed it is very bad record for a new sch to hv HFMD. Seems like Agape One-North record with HFMD is quite bad too.. Wondering what's wrong with the sch, the fees they are charging is not cheap.

Kidz_Skidz,
Thanks for yr concern!! Ya.. Is like the kids havn't settle down in new sch & parents still got to face new worries. If just keep the child at home, the child is going to take longer time to adjust. If send to sch, worried abt HFMD & guilty conscious, not to mention working parents can't afford to take so many leaves.

i'm also quite frustrated that i'm hearing new cases every other day. i have kept my girl away from CC as i'm scared she will be infected. as you can see, 1 tot in N1 is also infected. I tot for this CC, since the levels are separated by classrooms, HFMD should be contained within the class.
i read from MCYS website, if cases > 16, CC will be closed.
i also agree fees are not cheap, so naturally, our expectations for the sch is higher as well.

I wonder how many of these cases r the parents nvr bother to chk their own kids. The thing w HFMD is there can be absent of fvr & uclers. So the screening for spot/spots is veri impt. For my B1, she just had one spot on her sole, near her toes. I found it as I was bathing her after bringing her home fr Agape. & coz there were other cases in her class, I just brought her to Dr e nxt day. She cfm it was HFMD tho there wasn't any fvr. Bt she said it's possible to just hv 1 of 3 symptoms only.

Anyway, by e time fvr sets in means already infected & body fighting it off.

Mums, see the red para below. Explains why some CC/sch can be record breakers in HFMD. MOH can only order 10-day closures anyway coz it's a big burden on wkg parents. The info below is fr http://www.medicinenet.com/hand-foot-and-mouth_syndrome/page2.htm

<font size="+1"><font color="0000ff">How is hand foot and mouth disease spread?</font></font>

HFM is spread person to person by direct contact with the infecting virus (either Coxsackie virus A-16 or less commonly enterovirus 71). These viruses are most commonly found in the nasal and throat regions but also in the blister fluid or stool of infected individuals. Infected individuals are most contagious during the first week of their illness. HFM cannot be contracted from pets or animals.

<font color="ff0000">The viruses that cause HFM may remain in the person's respiratory or intestinal tract for several weeks to months after all symptoms have resolved. It is possible, therefore, to transmit the infection even though the formally ill individual has completely recovered. Some individuals (most commonly adults) may exhibit no symptoms during their infection but may unwittingly transmit the illness to those (commonly infants and children) who are not immune.</font>

<font color="0000ff"><font size="+1">What is the incubation period for hand foot and mouth disease?</font></font>

HFM is moderately contagious and spreads from person to person. It cannot be spread by animals. Usually the virus is passed via oral secretions (nasal discharge, saliva, etc.) or via stool. There is a short four- to six-day incubation period between exposure and development of initial symptoms (fever and malaise). A person is most contagious during the first week of illness.

hi Glow10,
sorry for delayed reply as i didn't check the thread for some time! thanks for your response.

fyr, Eureka and Eager Beaver are both at Faber estate which is a private housing estate near clementi.

in the end, have decided to sign up with Zoo-phonics safari house as coincidentally they have a new childcare branch at IBP.
i'm not sure how it will turn out as i've just read a number of negative comments about their enrichment classes at siglap/BW.
sad.gif

but i did go down to the dover branch of safari house last week and was really impressed by the place.

hi all,
sorry to hear about the hfmd outbreak. my daughter came down with it about a year+ ago and it was really stressful.
however, i've also heard that most hfmd cases for children tend to be fairly mild (other than initial high fever) and that was my personal experience too. hope that can provide some degree of comfort.
Glow10: thanks for your response for my post and sorry for delayed reply. fyr, eureka and eager beaver are both in a private housing estate close to clementi. in any case, i've registered my kid at safari house ibp. hope it turns out well as i've just read a lot of negative feedback in the forum abt zoophonics siglap/BW
sad.gif
i had visited dover safari house last week and was impressed by it. naturally my hope is that the ibp one will be of a similar standard!

Hi Kidz_Skidz,thanks for the extract. It gives us some information about the HFMD.

I think it is unavoidale for virus to spread even the classes are seperated. No matter what, the kids still have to bypass the common area, before they enter their indvidual classes. Also, as adults usually show no syndroms(be it parents or the teachers), thus the virus can spread easily without us knowin.

Hi Xynn,yours at N1 too?

Hi Pastries,what's your plan?yours at N1?

Hi Kite, understand your plight after we 'spoke' that day. I hope you can find a solution soon..

*sigh* CNY is approaching. Hopefully the other kids won't get affected.

Hi Kidz_Skidz,

Thanks for your info on how HFMD spreads, now I know adults can spread to kids without showing any symptoms.

Veron, my boy started to like the school &amp; still can sing the songs he learnt from school so I will still send him to school.

Last Friday his N1 class only 5 kids instead of usual 13 kids, I think most parents scared of HFMD.

Sometimes it is just bad luck that the school has HFMD, imagine the kid caught it outside during weekend &amp; go to sch on Monday &amp; only develop fever or spots in the afternoon, by then shd hv spread to other kids already.

Happy New Year Mums &amp; Kids!!

The other likely way a kid gets HFMD is fr other siblings. Happened in One-North, my gal's classmate caught it @ home &amp; "paid it forward" ;-P

mine in PG. only 3-4 PG attend sch each day also. scared of the HFMD. most prob will send her back nxt wed or thurs. even the teachers might carry the virus themselves and pass on to the children. so, i think cant keep the children away from sch indefinitely.my girl dance to the songs, if i sing the same songs that was taught in sch to her. so she actually enjoy sch although she still cry when at the door. :p

Looks like there are not many students around. Not sure how's the situation at N2 now.
Let's hope there is a thorough clean up this long weekend

So any latest update? Hopefully just stop at 8 cases. Btw how they disinfect whole centre? Heard engage external cleaners?

Latest Updates!

I just spoke to Cynthia. Last case is last wednesday, so it is 8 cases in N2, 1 case in N1.

Also, she told me that they did a through clean up of the centre last saturday.

Today, 6 kids attend N2..My girl keeps wanting to go, but I just told her to wait for few more days.

Looks like it is under control.

the attendance for PG quite good.. but my girl having missed sch for almost 2 wks, have to restart the adjusting cycle again..

oh dear! another 2 new cases of hfmd reported today. sigh
sad.gif
so disappointing. Wat is happening?
Thot 1st round all cleared! now 2nd round??

Oh dear. But seriously, there are so many ways it can happen. E.g.
1) Can be a different strain of HFMD someone brought into the centre
2) Maybe an adult (parent or teacher) caught in previous cycle @ Agape &amp; did not exhibit symptoms (as per the info I highlighted earlier). Then went back and passed it on.
3) One of the children in Agape may not exhibit symptoms (mild case) but passed it to someone at home then brought it back to Agape.
4) Some parents are simply not aware of all these possibilities and/or have no time to check. Also, may dismiss any initial spot since it can appear on the back/buttocks first too. Or the rest of the spots may not appear till a few days later...

End of the day child care centres offer longer hours of care for children thus they have a much bigger challenge to keep their environment virus-free.

Also don't know why HFMD seems more prevalant in our tropical climate. My Aussie friend told me it doesn't happen very often in Sydney where she's based.

yar, it's 3 cases. i wonder if anyone is working on it to develop a vaccine. if chickenpox already have vaccine, i hope that there will be a vaccine for HFMD soon! it seems so prevalent.

Hihi,

Agreed with Kidz_Skidz, so many possibilities.. The child developed rashes over the weekend, so can't really blame on who.. Sometimes it is heng suay.. Just hope this 2nd round can goes down as fast as 1st round.

I still sent my boy to school, as a parent who sent my boy to IFC since he is 2 months old, I have already so seasoned to HFMD outbreak..

Is it peak season for HFMD now? Anyway, all the discussion here has me on high alert too. I'm scrutinising any red spots on my kids now... Just in case.

Hopefully the CNY long wkend works to help break the HFMD cycle for Clementi Agape.

<font color="ff0000"><font size="+1">Any1 wanna share to buy wholesale frozen Breaded Ebi Fry?</font></font>

I've ordered a carton from a BP which closed y'day (Tue). I have 4 boxes to spare. Each box is $7 &amp; contains 20pcs of frozen ebi as pictured in the BP link below. Expiry date is 6 months.

Item arriving before 11am today (Wed). Collect fr my place near Ave 1. Or I should be going Clementi Mall during lunchtime today. Please PM me with your contact no. to confirm the arrangements.

My friend ordered before and said it's very tasty. The product is from a supplier to local restaurants. Cooking method: recommended to fry or toast.

http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/6589195.html?1326693847

<font size="+1"><font color="0000ff">30% off @ gap.com, oldnavy.com, bananarepublic.com + 20% off @ piperlime.com</font></font>

I'm ordering clothes for my family + helping some friends with their orders too. Can also help mums here to tag on to my orders. NOTE: I'm doing it for friends so everything is according to credit card exchange rate + vPost shipping charge i.e. no mark-up/service charge. However I do need to collect payment for the merchandise first before I place your orders - don't want to end up stuck with things that I don't need.
wink.gif

Things to note:
1. PM me 1st of your intent to order &amp; I will reply with details of bank acct to tt payment to
2. Orders must be given to me by 7am tomorrow, Thursday.
3. Orders must be accompanied by payment of Listed Price X 0.7 X 1.33.
4. Shipping costs will be apportioned by volumentic weight of each item.
5. Shipping costs will be collected thereafter.
6. vPost base charge will be apportioned by no. of ppl in the spree.
7. Collect from my plc (near Clementi mosque). Can also arrange to meet up at Clementi Mall/West Coast Plaza if order's not too heavy/bulky.

Things to note about the sale:
1) Exclusions do apply - please click on the banner at the top of the respective websites to find out what are the things excluded from 30% discount.
2) If you proceed to order items that are not applicable for discount, pls take care to ensure correct payment. Or that order will be dropped.

<font color="aa00aa">To order, PM me the following:</font>
1) Weblink to the item (pls do not give me a link from your shopping cart as it may not be accessible through my gap.com account.)
2) Name of the item as listed on the website (I need this to verify it's the correct item to order for you)
3) Colour: 1st choice &amp; 2nd choice (if applicable, in case 1st choice is out of stock)
3) Size: 1st choice size &amp; 2nd choice size (if applicable, in case 1st choice is out of stock)
4) Price as listed on the website (in USD)
5) Total: Price of Item (in USD) X 0.7 X 1.33 = SGD$( )
<font color="ff0000">6) Details of your banks transfer to me for the amount listed in (5)</font>

Total no. of items:
Grand total: USD( ) &amp; SGD( )

There is FOC ground shipping from the above websites once orders meet USD50 (easily meet). I'm using vPost for the international shipping.

<font color="0000ff">Spree for party/craft items from Orientaltrading.com</font>

One last lobang, as I'm preparing for my B1 &amp; B2's b'days in Feb &amp; Apr respectively.
happy.gif
Let me know if you are keen to tag on with my orders. I'm ordering a few things, including personalised pencils
http://www.orientaltrading.com/api/search?Ntt=personalized+pencils

Comes in packs of 24 pencils. I find these practical as the kids can use them in school. Also good souvenirs for aunts &amp; uncles. I ordered these last year too and it worked out to be around S$0.50/pencil then. But not sure how much now with changes in exchange rate (better now compared to then) and shipping costs (higher now compared to then).

Anyway, I have a discount code for FOC ground shipping. So only have to pay for the vPost shipping. That will also be calculated according to volumetric weight of the items.

If keen, PM me for order format. I need to close this spree by 1pm on Friday to ensure I can get the things in time for B1's birthday in mid Feb.
happy.gif

<font color="0000ff">Spree from Orientaltrading.com</font>
There's a 8% discount code now along with FOC ground shipping. Discount is maximum 12% with USD79 in purchase. Code good til nxt Tue so I'll close spree at 10:30pm on Monday, 23 Jan. Let me know if any of you wanna tag on my order. PM me for payment details as I will not order without piror payment for the products.

<font color="aa00aa">Breaded ebi fry</font> -- I only hv two boxes to spare now. Price is $6.80/box of 20pcs of frozen breaded ebi as the whole carton was $68. It's only $7 per loose box purchased thru the BP. Let me know if any1 else is keen to take up the last 2 boxes
happy.gif

<font color="119911">Dilemmagal:</font> Thanks, but I'll pass on Barney. I'm bringing my two to Kids Fest early Feb. It's for kids 3 &amp; up if any other mum's keen. There are 3 theatre productions in this year's Kids Fest. Tkts thru SISTIC too. http://www.kidsfest.com.sg/

Hi Mummies,

Gong Xi Fa Cai! May the year of Dragon be a properous one for all of us
happy.gif

I am thinking of enrolling my kid in either I can read or icreative learner. Does anyone has feedback about the branches at west coast plaza /clementi west area?

<font color="119911">Preciousthots:</font> I had enquired w icreative @ Clementi West b4. I actually was more keen on the Ghim Moh location (home-based) bt e sign-up for that class was full.

Then I spoke @ length w a friend who sent her 5-year-old son to icreative home-based ctr in the East. She told me it was veri siong as parent needs to follow up on the homework given. She cautioned me that the pace is also quite fast and in that paricular setting, the tchr cld not spend much time on any child who may lag behind.

May I suggest u hang around outside the two ctrs u r "eyeing" to talk to the parents? Get feedback from them.

If u r looking for reading prog, can also consider the one I'm sending my B1 to -- ireadnwrite.com. It's located in one of the shop units @ Pandan Valley condo. Only one ctr, no other branches so in a way, standard is tightly controlled. There is 30mins free trial, just gotta call 64637811 to arrange. The classes r mostly in the afternoons and on weekends. There is one class on Wednesday night.

Kids are taught to recognise words right away, not via phonics (which is already taught in pre-sch). Format allows for play-based learning which I've found to be very effective for my B1 who's now 5. She started there just after she turned 3 and is now reading at K2 level + starting to write simple sentences. The entry age is 3yrs.

Fee is $520 per term of 12 lessons i.e. once a week. Or around $960 for twice a week basis. There is a one-off registration fee (think $40) whc is waived if you are referred by a current student.

Oh, when my girl started in the ireadnwrite.com prog, I signed her up for twice a week lessons so as to build a strong foundation. After 1 term, I sent her in for lessons once a wk. The initial part was very siong as I had to bring her there on a weekday afternoon w her little brother in tow (in a sling). Her other lesson was arranged on Sun afternoons.

Found out there's a new CC in Temasek Club (Portsdown Road). I rec'd e flyer at my door last wk. The exclusive facilities look really good since it's located in the club - machiam Agape @ One-North e.g. pool, playground. Bt nt sure abt the fees. Location's bit out of the way tho. And I understand the club's looking to moving to Rifle Range Rd by 2014.

HiHi

I am back..Sorry for being MIA, as I was overseas and busy celebrating CNY..

The HFMD?? I learnt about it when I was away.Feel quite sick that it has happened so fast after the 1st round. But well, I feel that such things seem to be unavoidable
sad.gif

Total 8 cases as of now, mostly in PG and N1.

As it is just over CNy, so not many students attend school these few days.

<font color="119911">Veron:</font> Are u e one selling Disney Princess bags? Got a link? I'm looking for new backpack for my B1 and she's totally into Disney Princesses. Wants it as theme for her b'day party this yr too
wink.gif

Hi,

sorry to interrupt here, I am moving to clementi soon, will like to find a chinese nanny/babysitter who can look after my baby boy from July 2012, morning to evening.
If anyone has any recommendations, pls PM me.

Thank you in advance
happy.gif

<font color="119911">Preciousthots:</font> Mind Stretcher put a brochure in my ltrbox today. It's stated that they offer Phonics &amp; Reading course as well as a K1 &amp; K2 Preparatory course -- bt nt sure if the Clementi Mall branch does. U call &amp; chk too? Tel: 66590500. Think it's on 5th flr, nxt to e library.

Back