IVF in 2021?

Indeed I find ivf the most unbearable stage is the ER. There’s so much wind inside. I feel passing out gas also helps to speed up the recovery process

agree this! I had constipation too… ended up taking lactulose. Works like magic. But few days ltr I had bad OHSS. Super bloated, like really huge tummy. Cannot sleep at night. Went to O&G n doctor found lots of water in my swollen ovaries.

So… when people said IVF is just abt injections & scans… nope I disagree. It’s more than that, it can be traumatising.

I hope all the ladies who are recovering from ER will feel better soon. Have lots of rest!

agree this! I had constipation too… ended up taking lactulose. Works like magic. But few days ltr I had bad OHSS. Super bloated, like really huge tummy. Cannot sleep at night. Went to O&G n doctor found lots of water in my swollen ovaries.

So… when people said IVF is just abt injections & scans… nope I disagree. It’s more than that, it can be traumatising.

I hope all the ladies who are recovering from ER will feel better soon. Have lots of rest!
The 2 weeks wait after transfer can be an agony as well..

In fact each step in IVF is not easy.

I hope you are feeling better now.

yes initially I tot all about injections, scans, blood work and effort to be on time on each appt. and nobody told us that post ER can be that traumatizing.

hugsss

hello all! so glad i found this forum as a support system. i've just undergone my first IVF cycle and it failed :( i didnt have any eggs to be frozen so will have to repeat the whole cycle of injections all over again. hoping i'll still get to WFH so the trips to KK wouldnt hv to be too stressful. i wanted to start the next round of IVF when my current period ends but the nurse said i have to wait for at least 3 cycles to let my body rest. wonder if any of you received the same advice? its just that, the waiting can get quite depressing.

hello all! so glad i found this forum as a support system. i've just undergone my first IVF cycle and it failed :( i didnt have any eggs to be frozen so will have to repeat the whole cycle of injections all over again. hoping i'll still get to WFH so the trips to KK wouldnt hv to be too stressful. i wanted to start the next round of IVF when my current period ends but the nurse said i have to wait for at least 3 cycles to let my body rest. wonder if any of you received the same advice? its just that, the waiting can get quite depressing.
Yea I heard it’s about there
I just failed my fresh cycle. Nurse told me gotta wait 2 menses cycles for frozen
I’ll see the doc next week to discuss and review

I rested for 6 months to start another fresh cycle. I think resting for 2-3 months is needed to let the body rest..

Yeah usually need some time to get ur menses back on track as the 1st few cycles can be haywire also.. meaning ur body not in the best shape.

Perhaps can make use of the time to recondition ur body back with some exercises, healthy food, tcm if u believe in it to prepare ur body for next round in the hope of getting more and better quality embryos

Hello all, thanks all for sharing your IVF experiences here. From what I read, most of you still feel well enough to go to work and I really dont know how you all do it. I dont know if it is just me, I started feeling prickly pain since Day 4 injection at the lower abdomen together with all the tightness and back ache that when i lie down I cannot get up easily. My emotions were also out of whack and I cannot function normally. I thought it will all be over when ER arrives but from what I read it gets worse :( Can anyone share if there is any major discomfort right after trigger shot? I am expecting the worst for ER since my daily injection is already so traumatising.

Hello all, thanks all for sharing your IVF experiences here. From what I read, most of you still feel well enough to go to work and I really dont know how you all do it. I dont know if it is just me, I started feeling prickly pain since Day 4 injection at the lower abdomen together with all the tightness and back ache that when i lie down I cannot get up easily. My emotions were also out of whack and I cannot function normally. I thought it will all be over when ER arrives but from what I read it gets worse :( Can anyone share if there is any major discomfort right after trigger shot? I am expecting the worst for ER since my daily injection is already so traumatising.
Some ladies do experience some discomfort during injections or trigger shots etc..
Luckily my injections stage is fine.. ER also fine. I have gone thru 5 fresh cycles to date. For me, pregnancy itself is the hardest part.

But believe me, when u carry your baby in your arms.. u will fine all these suffering very worth while.

So just focus on your goal. Don't be too bothered about the process

7k for the test kit for mine... plus biopsy around 2.5k, depending on how many embryos is tested (another amount). Pgd dun hv any subsidies. Hv to pay full in cash before they release the result to u

my ivf total is around 14k plus after minus 6k subsidies & 6k Medisave hv to found out 3k plus.

so together with Pgd total cash is around 10k plus
Which doc were you with?

for me the daily jab is ok. But towards the end nearing the ER my stomach was so big i look like at least 4 months pregnant. And i was so so tired and restless last few days before ER. Feel bloated and experienced little nausea. By evening timee i must be on bed rest and zzzz within seconds.

For IVF with KKH, do we get to choose to transfer 1 or 2 embryos?

For a fresh transfer, it sounds like after ER, the next time you see the doctor is already the day of the ET? So there is no chance to discuss with the doctor to transfer 1 or 2 embryos?

For KKH, when would you be informed on the progress of your embryos after ER? Is that also only on the day of ET?

For IVF with KKH, do we get to choose to transfer 1 or 2 embryos?

For a fresh transfer, it sounds like after ER, the next time you see the doctor is already the day of the ET? So there is no chance to discuss with the doctor to transfer 1 or 2 embryos?

For KKH, when would you be informed on the progress of your embryos after ER? Is that also only on the day of ET?

yes, the discussion to transfer 1 or 2 is done then and here when you are in the ET room.
Usually for KKH they will only transfer 1. Unless its not the first cycle, older patient, etc, in which case you probably may have broached the topic of transfering 2 embryos with your doctor.

After the ET, doctor will leave, then embryologist will come out to give you an verbal update about your embryos (grade of the transfered embryo) and also a brief summary of the progress of your remaining embryos. eg. xx retrieved, xx fertilized, xx reach blastocyst etc.

The full report you can collect on the day of your beta test.

yes, the discussion to transfer 1 or 2 is done then and here when you are in the ET room.
Usually for KKH they will only transfer 1. Unless its not the first cycle, older patient, etc, in which case you probably may have broached the topic of transfering 2 embryos with your doctor.

After the ET, doctor will leave, then embryologist will come out to give you an verbal update about your embryos (grade of the transfered embryo) and also a brief summary of the progress of your remaining embryos. eg. xx retrieved, xx fertilized, xx reach blastocyst etc.

The full report you can collect on the day of your beta test.
I thought prior to ET, they would have already prepared the embryos for transfer. There’s still room for discussion?

thank you for the good info!

I thought prior to ET, they would have already prepared the embryos for transfer. There’s still room for discussion?

thank you for the good info!

Yes, can decide on the spot for fresh cycle. All the embryos are still in the incubator at this point. so u can transfer 1 or 2 and then they continue to monitor the remaining and freeze them.

For frozen cycles you cant, because they will need to thaw in advance.

Can I ask ... Anyone having covid jab? Should we wait a mth after second dose then go for ET?

even for normal ttc I also have to wait for the second jab , but can then start to ttc after menses is here as advise by my tcm dr Tan @ Clementi & gynaecologist. As mention by @lildreams just to play safe

Last edited:
Yes pregnant women can take right now but they hv to wait for 20 week then can take , before that is not encouraged

Yes pregnant women can take right now but they hv to wait for 20 week then can take , before that is not encouraged
Yup last time when I took the jab, we were told to wait 2 menses cycle before ttc, now no need.

So it's always changing and improving.

Just do what you're comfortable with

Hi all! it’s my first time to post here..
Had my 1st FET last April which failed (heartbreaking esp for 1st timers)
Tried again this month — today is 12DP3DT and since it’s my 2nd time, feeling hopeful yet at the same time trying to manage my expectations.
Also quite financially challenging to undergo IVF here for foreigners like me.
Reading this forum gives me support and I get anxious when my beta test is approaching. Baby dust to you all who are ttc ♥

Last edited:
Hi all! it’s my first time to post here..
Had my 1st FET last April which failed (heartbreaking esp for 1st timers)
Tried again this month — today is 12DP3DT and since it’s my 2nd time, feeling hopeful yet at the same time trying to manage my expectations.
Also quite financially challenging to undergo IVF here for foreigners like me.
Reading this forum gives me support and I get anxious when my beta test is approaching. Baby dust to you all who are ttc
All the best to you!

Which dr are u with?

Thank you!
Dr Loh from Thomson Fertility.
My hpt is negative today but will just wait also for the beta test on Sat.

All the best for you this Sat!

i'm also with Dr Loh.
i just had a BFN on my beta test. Will go in soon for review appt.
May i ask , from your FET in april, will he explain the reasons to why things didn't work out?
will he go thru all options, or just tell you what the next steps are?

All the best for you this Sat!

i'm also with Dr Loh.
i just had a BFN on my beta test. Will go in soon for review appt.
May i ask , from your FET in april, will he explain the reasons to why things didn't work out?
will he go thru all options, or just tell you what the next steps are?
Thank you!!
Sorry to hear that, hope you’re ok.
Dr Loh said I have suspected polyps in uterus (based from ultrasound) and could be a factor so I had my hysteroscopic polypectomy last May. He was able to remove the polyps and scratch the uterus.
I also had IV drip a few days before my second FET.
All the best on your next transfer

Yea it was still sad even tho I figured the odds of success on first try wasn’t high.
Wouldn’t he have seen any potential issues with the lining while he was doing the ovarian scans during stimulation period?
I’ve always wondered if while he was scanning that he’ll be able to spot or highlight any concerns before the transfer but he never said anything

Yea it was still sad even tho I figured the odds of success on first try wasn’t high.
Wouldn’t he have seen any potential issues with the lining while he was doing the ovarian scans during stimulation period?
I’ve always wondered if while he was scanning that he’ll be able to spot or highlight any concerns before the transfer but he never said anything
That’s true. I tried to manage my expectations on my first FET as advised by friends but it’s still very sad.
He just said ‘suspected’ so I assumed it was probably too small to be seen from scan. I’ve had myomectomy late 2019 and that time, the gynae has removed polyps visible from ultrasound.

I hope he’ll be able to help you resolve any outstanding issues so you’ll have better success rates :)
Has it ever occurred to you that you might ever change doctors? What would that point be? I sometimes ask myself and I can’t figure yet

I hope he’ll be able to help you resolve any outstanding issues so you’ll have better success rates :)
Has it ever occurred to you that you might ever change doctors? What would that point be? I sometimes ask myself and I can’t figure yet
I still have 3 frozen embryos under Dr Loh, fingers crossed that I do not repeat IVF cycle but if needed, I’m thinking of trying under Dr Tan of Alpha. Dr Loh prefers day 3 but I may want to explore blastocyst instead.
Although my first cycle was actually under Dr Fabian of TMC JB and he also prefers day 3. I requested to ship the frozen embryos in SG and it’s very unfortunate that the tank was mishandled by SQ Cargo. I was compensated by the shipping company and they paid for my ER in TFC.

That’s true. I tried to manage my expectations on my first FET as advised by friends but it’s still very sad.
He just said ‘suspected’ so I assumed it was probably too small to be seen from scan. I’ve had myomectomy late 2019 and that time, the gynae has removed polyps visible from ultrasound.
I also removed my fibroids via keyhole surgery sometime in 2017 I think. But the dr say all these will eventually grow back.

Was yours done under key hole as well?

I still have 3 frozen embryos under Dr Loh, fingers crossed that I do not repeat IVF cycle but if needed, I’m thinking of trying under Dr Tan of Alpha. Dr Loh prefers day 3 but I may want to explore blastocyst instead.
Although my first cycle was actually under Dr Fabian of TMC JB and he also prefers day 3. I requested to ship the frozen embryos in SG and it’s very unfortunate that the tank was mishandled by SQ Cargo. I was compensated by the shipping company and they paid for my ER in TFC.
hmm that's interesting. mine was a day 2 transfer. i was told Dr prefers Day 2. but embryologist said day 2 day 3 doesn't matter.
i'm considering culturing my existing Day 2 embryos and see which makes it to blastocyst. so that i know sooner IF i need to do another retrieval or not.

i have an outstanding appt with Dr Roland Chieng at Virtus made months ago when i was looking for doctors, and his schedule was so packed. now i'm wondering if i should go for the appt and spend $300 to hear his opinion.

The SQ cargo incident is so unfortunate indeed! you must have been so frustrated and upset.

hmm that's interesting. mine was a day 2 transfer. i was told Dr prefers Day 2. but embryologist said day 2 day 3 doesn't matter.
i'm considering culturing my existing Day 2 embryos and see which makes it to blastocyst. so that i know sooner IF i need to do another retrieval or not.

i have an outstanding appt with Dr Roland Chieng at Virtus made months ago when i was looking for doctors, and his schedule was so packed. now i'm wondering if i should go for the appt and spend $300 to hear his opinion.

The SQ cargo incident is so unfortunate indeed! you must have been so frustrated and upset.
Oh yes i remember they were supposed to freeze on Day 2 then I requested to have it on Day 3 instead. Is it possible to culture day 2 for blastocyst in TFC? Please keep me posted
I heard good reviews fr Dr Chieng, also scheduled for appt last year then cancelled when i decided to have it in TFC instead.
The SQ mishandling was a nightmare on top of IVF journey. Never got to use those 6 embryos which I assume have better quality cos those were 2 years ago.

Oh yes i remember they were supposed to freeze on Day 2 then I requested to have it on Day 3 instead. Is it possible to culture day 2 for blastocyst in TFC? Please keep me posted
I heard good reviews fr Dr Chieng, also scheduled for appt last year then cancelled when i decided to have it in TFC instead.
The SQ mishandling was a nightmare on top of IVF journey. Never got to use those 6 embryos which I assume have better quality cos those were 2 years ago.
yes i'll keep you posted once i find out if that is indeed possible or not.

Virtus has good rep but they are so expensive. was told by staff it's 22-30k (!) - at least 50% more than TFC

Virtus has good rep but they are so expensive. was told by staff it's 22-30k (!) - at least 50% more than TFC
Thank you! How many embryos do you have frozen now?
Yeah it’s expensive that’s why we went to TFC this year cos it’s the cheapest among private clinics I think and no subsidy for me since foreigner.

Thank you! How many embryos do you have frozen now?
Yeah it’s expensive that’s why we went to TFC this year cos it’s the cheapest among private clinics I think and no subsidy for me since foreigner.
i now have 6 day2 embryos frozen. all grade 2. none are grade 1. wondering if that's the reason why i had a BFN. hmm.

i also don't qualify for subsidy cos i'm >40 yrs old

i now have 6 day2 embryos frozen. all grade 2. none are grade 1. wondering if that's the reason why i had a BFN. hmm.

i also don't qualify for subsidy cos i'm >40 yrs old
Wow you still have a lot!!
I guess it’s also just numbers game, the more we try, the higher possibility we’ll have for BFP as I think the grading is just based on morphology and can’t really tell the quality since there’s no PGS here?
Will include you in my prayers

My fresh cycle was only 15k there about. I think they probably based on higher dosage.

But anyways Roland consult and scan fees have increased.. each visit with scan is almost $300..

My fresh cycle was only 15k there about. I think they probably based on higher dosage.

But anyways Roland consult and scan fees have increased.. each visit with scan is almost $300..
yea....maybe prices increased recently? i don't know. but yes deep pockets are needed.............

Wow you still have a lot!!
I guess it’s also just numbers game, the more we try, the higher possibility we’ll have for BFP as I think the grading is just based on morphology and can’t really tell the quality since there’s no PGS here?
Will include you in my prayers
so i've just come from my review appt. yes you can thaw Day2 embryos and culture them into blastocysts at TFC. of cos there are pros cons risks involved. but yes can be done there as an option.

so i've just come from my review appt. yes you can thaw Day2 embryos and culture them into blastocysts at TFC. of cos there are pros cons risks involved. but yes can be done there as an option.
Wow that’s great! How many will you be doing blasto?
Dr Loh told you what could have been the reason for failed FET?

Back