Cooking Tips & Recipe

pinkbunny,
how does the heat spots look like? I dunno what is that leh...I had sore throat when having confinement food but after a while my body get use to it and I'm ok with it, same same?

annlee

What to do, gal in morning session, have to see her to school....am not one will leave everything to maid to do it....

Just like you, I will feel very thirsty after taking food with msg, maybe too use to homecook food.

Good morning mums!

Hey pbunny, nice to hear from you! Your poppy is so sweet..Makes me want to pop mine NOW! Do you intend to cut her hair aft one month ?
Didn't cut my girls' hair at all last time. Heard that cutting hair will lead to "producing" more hair..
Had problem of heatiness too. You taking any wine? could your rashes be due to it? If i take an overdose, I'll have it on my neck and chest. And also diarrhea

Huskie,
Was telling my hb about making a trip to korea to taste the food..heehee( excuses).. Passed by one korean minimart at Parkway and saw the different kinds of food, like the rice cake you mentioned. But dunno how to cook..
Stir frying the meat and wrap with rice in lettuce is an excellent idea! What seasoning did you fry the meat with? ordinary dou jiang ?

Good idea to go for a trip before no. 2 comes!

Ann,
Did you take any herbs or sheng1 hua4 tang1 during the first week of confinement ? Cos I read that it can get rid of stale blood. Another one is the pill form, called shu1 he4 yuan2. Supposedly to get rid of wind in the body and reduce heatiness.

What you all cooking today ?
Am frying mince pork with beancurd and fry one vege to go with rice.

Kids central is showing Cailou at 9.30am nowadays. Quite a wholesome cartoon.. And the little princess at 1.30pm..It has the storybook as well, and aft that WATCHEAT! which is a good educational prog on the different kinds of food..

ann
ya she sleep until shiok shiok
happy.gif

heat spots look like little pimples. very very small and reddish. i just lifted my t-shirt to check to describe to you and then realised my blinds were open. aiyer give neighbours free show :S

choc
eh i also having diahorrea leh! i didn't think anything of it. but i am drinking LOADS of water leh. dunno why.

i think i did not take sheng hua tang. however my massage lady came last saturday and the next day i had one HUGE (i really mean huge, like almost the size of my palm) blob of blood dropped out of me. she said it's all the old blood. and after that, my flow was very light. now i can use normal pads liao.

CL cooks this for me cos apparently straw mushrooms can increase milk supply. but it's really yummy

boil water
throw in shreaded carrots
add straw mushrooms (jin zhen gu) and small white mushrooms (bai gu)
add marinated sheng yu and slices of meat (marinated with sesame oil, corn flour, pepper, soy sauce)
boil for about 45 minutes
sprinkle with parsley when serving

light and nice
happy.gif
and easy

pbunny,

You drinking loads of water or red date tea? When i had my first and second confinement, I drank lots of water too! But this new conf book that I bought states that drinking water is not as good as drinking red date tea, cos it'll cos water retention..
when I told my previous Cl that I had diarrhea, she cut down the wine,

Or does the diarrhea mean the body is expelling extra water and wind? So, will slim down faster.. hehe..

Wow! your Cl very creative leh.. what a nice dish compared to the traditional one!

Hi all,

I would like to join this thread too! I've actually been a passive reader of this thread since mid-2006, and have finally decided to join you all! I'm glad to see this thread revived after being quiet for a while...
I am a ftwm with a 19mth old daughter.I enjoy cooking and baking and trying new recipes.
I hope to share more tips on cooking and mothering with all of you.
: )

Ivena, Featherstar
Welcome !!

pinkbunny,
I think I'm having those heat spot that u mention now on my tummy area, it get worst when I'm cooking cos maybe too near to the heat or maybe I'm heaty. It goes away few days later, on and off. I thought is rashes.
Ha...you so funny, give your neighbour free show, shame shame hee...joking lah...

choc,
yes...I drink sheng hua tang and took shu1 he4 yuan2 on my last preggie. Where did u get your sheng hua tang? I got my tonic except sop hup yuen from Malaysia peiling's confinemnent.

wah I'm so tired now, walk to suntec and walk back from suntec to Rochor carrying 2kg+ of baby inside me. Went lunch with my hb at kuishinbo, so crowded and food soso. Tonight not having dinner, will make some potato carrot chicken soup and fried rice for my boys.

how are u gals???

been real busy w work. now lunchtime liao . hee... still hv not eat
sad.gif
. Choc, i also go to tat korean mini mart. i bought the rice cake and i bought their sauces too. so i just boil or steam hot the rice cake. add it to the sauce when it is simmering and fish cake too. oh ya i also add water to it bcos i dun like the sauce to be too thick.

Now the thought of food make me hungry, going to eat liao. will try to drop in more often.

Hi Ivena and featherstar! Welcome welcome!

So featherstar, what have you been cooking? Share share your recipes..

Ann,
Can Sheng hua tang be bought locally ? I have never come across it, heehee.. mountain turtle.. So hup pill I bought from the chinese med shop ren2 tai4 tang2 near my house.
So, you find it effective?

Wow! Suntec got lots of good food to eat.. I can imagine how heavy you feel now .. When I sit on a stool and try to get up, I got a BIG problem!

For lunch, I baked salmon in terriyaki sauce, mashed potatoes, blanch broccoli and fry sunny side up egg.

For dinner, going to try out sophi's korean stir fry meat with rice wrapped in lettuce.
Anyhow huntum recipe : beef marinate in dou jiang, sesame oil, sesame seeds, sugar, pepper, sliced onions, and sliced carrots.
Will stir fry and cook some short grain rice, and wrap in lettuce.
See whether nice bo
happy.gif

Hey twinkle,
Wah.. don't work too hard leh... relac.. and go makan.
Will the shop assistant tell you how to prepare korean food ? Haha.. the only korean food i've cooked is korean instant noodles. And only ate korean food in foodcourt..

Hey huskie, show us one or two of your korean cooking skills leh

Pbunny, your bb is so cute!!! Your CL sounds gd leh.
happy.gif

Huskie, you into korean cooking? I like their bbq pork. Hehehe...

Now thinking what to cook tom.
happy.gif

hi hi pinkbunny!!! congrats to you! yr dd looks so lovely all wrapped up so snugly. She looks more like you...:D Yr birth story is hilarious! kekek...

welcome ivena & featherstar! :D

it's great to be back here again after so long! I have a lot of catching up to do... :p

choc
i drink red dates tea and water. cannot only drink red dates cos i already very pu zhuah until got little pimples coming out liao
sad.gif

welcome ivena and featherstar!
yay more contributors!

annlee
haha i just bought a nursing cover so i think i will use it at home so as not to give the opposite block's teekohpehs free show!

re my birth story
hubby is very paisay every time i tell people. but what to do, it's too funny la! haha. every time i think about it i want to laugh and slap my thigh.

joy
my CL is actually friend's nanny. i don't think she does it anymore, but more like as a favour for me la. $2k btw. singaporean lady

Ivena, Featherstar,
Welcome!
happy.gif

Ivena,
Are you a SAHM or a FTWM?

Featherstar,
Do share with us your baking/cooking recipes and pictures!

sp,
Long time no see! Have you finally moved into your house?

pinkbunny,
Poppy looks so sweet in her pink crib and all... actually she has a bit of Eurasian look leh. Maybe it's her eyes and lips? Hmm... I think her lips do look quite Eurasian
happy.gif

Choc,
I marinate the meat with different things. If it's beef, will just marinate with pear juice/kiwi juice + soy sauce + sesame oil + pepper. If pork, it'll be the Korean spicy gochujang + sesame oil. As for the dipping sauce, I use the Korean dou jiang in a brown plastic tub and just add some sesame oil and sesame seeds to it.

How did your version go for your Friday's dinner?

Gig,
Yep, I'm into Korean cooking right now... I make my own kimchi too.
I sort of get into different moods. There was once I was so crazy over Indian food that my hubby thought he married an Indian woman!
happy.gif
Then had to beg me to stop trying out Indian recipes
biggrin.gif

But he seems more tolerant towards Korean food.

Girls,
I chanced upon this blog and will like to share with you... this girl actually uploaded recipe notes that her grandmother made in her younger days and shares them with the readers. Unfortunately the older folks do not usually have metric measurements, but they go by taste. Still, I think it's lovely of the granddaughter to do this blog in tribute of her grandmother. Lots of Peranakan recipes here:
http://nicerecipes.wordpress.com/2007/04/23/buah-keluak-curry/

Huskie

Thanks for the web. Guess you are really into cooking....Indian food?Wow, that is great, do you know how to make the masala chicken...something like that?

Oh yes, can anyone here care to share with me how to make the salmon in japanese restaurant?Must grill, steam or stir fried?Which way will not have strong smell?Can I know how to get or mix the right portion of the sauce?I bought the kikoman sauce, but taste different, anyone can advice any brand or ?Thanks a lot...

hello ladies,

Glad that this thread is alive again. I have been a silent reader as I had been in confinement, juz given to no 2 in june, now busy with shifting house.

Huskie,
U into korean food? I like to eat kimichi, any recipe to share? Where do u usually get ur ingredients?

pinkbunny,
Hee, my idea of Eurasian/angmoh lips is the thinner kind, esp. the upper lips, but a bit downturned and pouty with the 2 sharp corners. Cos I seldom see Chinese with this kind of thin lips leh.
wink.gif

Joy,
I've done masala grilled fish before, but not masala chicken. But I really don't think it's that difficult. I normally just surf the web for recipe or use one of my many Indian cookbooks.

muffin,
Yep, I'm currently into Korean food. I normally buy my stuff from Sol-mart at Square 2 cos it's the nearest to my place.

For kimchi, I actually DIY-ed using my Korean neighbour's instructions.
Buy the Chinese napa cabbage, slice into half length-wise. Then put coarse salt in between every leaf. You may have to put a bit of water so the salt stays. This is to dehydrate the cabbage so it stays crunchy after being pickled.
Then leave it to stand for about 4 hrs and wash off the salt.
After washing off the salt, leave it to drain awhile.
Then in a separate bowl, mix together about 1 cup Korean red pepper flakes, 1 tsp salt (I normally skip this), 1 tsp Koeran fish sauce (they're different from the Thai type, not as salty), 1 tsp sugar, 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic, 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger, a small bunch of scallions cut into 1-inch length, a bit of radish julienned into 1 inch-length.
I normally mix in a bit water so it's easier to spread.
Then using plastic gloves, spread the mixture evenly in between each leaf. I then carefully cut the bunch of leaves into 1-inch sections and put them nicely in a tuperware. Cut a plastic bag into a flat sheet and press down onto the top of the kimchi then close the lid on tuperware. Leave it overnight outside and the next morning you can pop it into the fridge.

Kimchi may continue to ferment in the fridge, so it will turn more sour as the days go by. Aged kimchi is good for kimchi jigae/kimchi stew.

Huskie

Thanks for sharing your kimchi recipie...quite tedious..lately I have tried this ready make kimchi,hai brand from ntuc, not too bad....

Tomorrow will try to pan fried salmon....will try to figure how to do the sauce....

huskie
first time i hear about your lip description! hehe.

joy
teriyaki sauce is nice with salmon! if you don't mind the ready made kind i think there are a few. mine is a glass bottle one but i don't know the brand. anyway now my menu is ginger, ginger and more ginger only haha

wah ngor herr is so ex!!! btw wat's it called in english ah? threadfin is it?

wondering when CL goes back after 1 month, what i will do with meals. hmm. maybe i will cater tingkat for dinner to eat with hubby, and possibly cater confinement food for myself for lunch? as for cooking simple dishes, i wouldn't mind, for my own lunch, like soups but then the washing up and the being in touch with raw stuff does freak me out cos i have to touch her bottles as well. hmmm.

choc,
where you get your sheng hua tang? The hup pills can get from any chinese physician shop, my friend told me the paste one is better than the pills. I think we must eat the pills to expel the wind inside our body, not sure how effective, I just took it, maybe bcos at that time I eat it with ginger juice so double effect hee...
Now taking out and wearing my pant also got prob. Sometimes must sit on the bed to wear it.

pinkbunny,
your area got teekohpehs..must be careful! I also bought one nursing cover for bf, those apron look type.
Your CL quite ex huh or maybe the market rate is like that. I book mine for 1.6k recommended from my sis colleague.

yah...ngor herr is always expensive.Sometimes I get it from NTUC, much cheaper but if want super fresh, gotta get it from market. Ngor herr in Eng is threadfin.

huskie,
I went to sol mart last saturday, can't get my kimchi, I want those big pack type, cheaper but no stock I think.

Joy,
I read somewhere in SMH that soak some milk in salmon can get rid of the smell.

muffin,
COngrats!! Don't be silent reader lah...come on in here...

Ivena,
same here, I got 2 boys now, 6yrs and 3 yrs old. My 3rd boy coming on the way in aug
happy.gif

cookie,
How are you now?? Went to secret recipe to have the lamb stew, quite nice but there's alittle smell, I quite sensitive to lamb smell but my hb likes it. Maybe you might wanna try it to bu abit. Their marble cheese cake is v good.

annlee

wah...having 3 boys to handle...i already having problem to handle 2 boys cos my elder one tend to be jealous if i am too close to his didi...u working or SAHM??

Hello gals!

Huskie, my "anyhow huntum" korean stir fried beef turned out nice, my hb said. I guess the marinating with sliced onions and carrots made it sweeter! Ate in with jap rice and lettuce.

Going to try chicken and pork next
happy.gif
Thanks for sharing the website too. Was thinking how to extract juice from kiwi and pear for the marinade. Very leychey.. but I guess the outcome must be yummy!
Can you also share how always prepare the rice cake ?

Eh! you very farnie! Turning into Apu neh neh.. My hb and kids sure can't take it! There was a period of time I kept bugging my sis and bro to go for indian food, they told me go and eat myself! I like the dhal and tandoori fish..

Hey muffin, congrats to no. 2.. yah lah, come and chat chat with us..

Joy,
Like what pbunny mentioned, i also use the glass bottle kind of terriyaki marinade for salmon . If
you want lagi authentic kind, try the jap supermarkets like isetan. I've tried NTUC kind and the real jap ones, I find the jap one more fragrant. I only use my toaster oven to bake the salmon. 10 mins is all it takes.. Fast food
happy.gif

I've tried pan fried salmon, got to add lots of garlic.. nice too, but floor oily leh..

Pbunny, I told my hb about your hb fainting, he couldn't stop laughing too.. you really got a sense of humour!

When your Cl leaves, you can start slimming down.. heehee.. you'll be so busy that 3 meals will become one meal.. no lah, just joking!
What you can do is portion your meat/fish and freeze them.. ask CL help you prepare some pre fried ginger strips. You can boil some chicken soup , or steam fish ,eat with rice, soup with mee sua/bee hoon, add the pre fried ginger.. Maybe night time then cater. I've tried catered food for 5 days, I gave up finally!
It was quite tedious for me to prepare food when bb is awake, so the only time to cook is when bb has her nap. Or make stock and freeze them. One step at a time.. meanwhile rest as much as you can

Ann,
I haven't bought the shen hua tang. I'll see if Fuhua has, and will check out JB if they have them too..
The lamb stew sounds good! Will go secret recipe at siglap to try out..

Ivena, wow, 2 boys, so what do you cook for them everyday?

Hey SP,
I still like the wanton mee in Malaysia, esp KL, so or lu lu and yummy, can't compare to Singapore std. Tried the sarawak kind of kolo mee, cannot make it!

Joy,
can understand how u feel.
think all mummies looking forward to hands free....

think salmon with teriyaki sauce is yummy.

and long time never see van, wondering how is she doing also.

Choc,
Will there be possibilities to overdose on fruits for toddlers?
cos in childcare there is one portion of fruit in the morning. then mil will feed him again with fruits 2-3times in the afternoon/evening again.
hahaha... the 2 jie jies 'you fu tong xiang, you nan tong dang'... give all 'hao liao' vit C to di di also.
will go to gnc to get the vit c.

i bought the amy wong confinement book last fri. its quite good. thinking of asking my helper to try out some of the dishes this weekend, can test her also.
hahaha.. the instant noodles review... remember to tell me abt it hor when u do one.
i kept the last instant noodles recipe fm sundaytimes leh... and tried out a few of them also. like sardines with instant noodles etc. then i modified some, like fried tomatoes with egg + instant noodles (china style).
agree with u Tung Yi is nice. I also like chi qian yi ding and dry type i like the indomie fm indonesia... bagus!

can check with u if there is any good programme for toddlers on kids central during weekend?
my boy crazy over wheels on the bus now. my sis got him the dvd and he can watch fm morning till night.
is di di very sticky to u?
my boy is ultra sticky and grouchy these days. and refusing to sleep in the evning as well.
coughing/vomitting/changing bedsheets.
sad.gif

wondering is he teething again or like the old folks says, he sense competition so being sensitive now..

on the sheng hua tang, u can go to any medical hall to tell them u want to get sheng hua tang and they will pack for u.
i took that when i mc a few years back. but after giving birth to no. 1, i did not drink any. cos that time the confinement lady did nto prepare and i was too busy to remember as boy had jaundice and was hospitalised.
heard some china chinese saying girls have less likelihood of jaundice but boys higher chance. isit true for yr case?

Ann,
u choose the date for csec bss fengshui?
the brown rice i got is those long grain organic type, fm thailand. 2 small elephant logo on the packaging.
korean noodle the sam yung is nice
happy.gif

thanks for the tip on secret recipe... will go try the lamb stew and cakes one of these days.
i went to those chinese mala hotpot at china square and stuffed myself crazy with mutton last week... sigh,.. still din managed to let baby gain much weight. all the weight gain on me.
sad.gif

my most recent desert cravings is those nata de coco with logan + lots of ice. ;)

Pinkbunny,
baby looks will change. maybe will have papa nose someday? ;)
Yr little bunny looks so serene in her sleep.
happy.gif

Huskie,
i usually get fish oil fm vitakids, but was thinking if there are any other sources. cos vitakids are quite expensive.
u are right, properly my body telling me i need lots of protein instead of junk food, carbo and sugar. sigh... check up last fri shows baby is only 2.2kg abt 35+weeks.
my boy born 37weeks was 3+kg.... quite a big difference.
think i ought to eat more protein.
heee... maybe lunch i will have nasi padang with tempeh + mutton+fish... all the protein.

where u planning to go for yr trip? will u bring sop along?

hahaha... india wife... now u are the 'korean' wife... yr husband must be wondering what's next.

Ivena & Featherstar,
welcome!
happy.gif

Muffin,
Congrats on yr no. 2!
happy.gif

SP,
any yummy cooking fm u?
how's yr boy doing?

ann
i like secret recipe too! their chicken with herbed rice is sedap! mmmmm.

actually all the CLs i called from malaysia are asking 1.9! mine is SG. all the CLs were booked. lucky i managed to get this one. phew.

eh choc
if you ever meet my hubby don't suan him hor, he very paisay liao haha. but now he's changing his story. saying 'ya it was all a show, all planned swee swee one. i geh geh faint to make you less tension nia'. huh. please. ya right!

i've been asking CL how to cook the dishes she's been cooking (must make her $2k worth it hor?)so i will know how to make when she leaves. ok la. most quite easy.

Choc06

Im only able to cook for them on wkend since Im working...my mum is e one cooking for them....
for e younger one, she will cook porridge/mee sua with either fish or meat...then will also add diff type of veg everyday like pumpkin, spinach, carrot etc
for my elder boy he will be having macaroni, rice and watever adult food that we are having ....his quite a fussy eat since young so now we try to expose him to more variety more food...

Hello all

Dinner over weekend was:
beef stew
Steamed prawns with ginger
Chinese spinach with wolfberries and garlic

I used a really easy and simple beef stew recipe which I made up. Beef from Swiss Butchery (better than beef from supermart)which I marinate with worchestershire sauce, and a bit of red wine.
Fry lotsa shallots with a little bit of oil, add the beef for 1-2 mins, add 1.5 bowl of water, the remaining sauce and leave it simmer for 1-2 hour or more until beef is tender.Add carrots,potatoes and button mushroom at the end.
Its easy to do!

Hi ALL

thanks for all your feedback on teriyaki sauce. I ever bought the kikomon type and season my chicken wings, very salty....

If anyone comes across good one, can let me know?My kids are into salmon...always order from jap restaurant and think going to make me broke.....

muffin,
Congrats!!!
Post us a pic of your baby!

annlee,
Too bad you don't stay near me, else I can pass some kimchi to you!
I always make one cabbage, and it'll end up too much cos hubby and I don't really eat that much.
But yes, kimchi is expensive, considering the cost price of the ingredients are quite cheap. The only thing that is expensive is probably the red pepper powder, but even one packet of that can last really long.

btw, some good CLs I called charge $2k leh, and they're Malaysians. So I think yours is a good deal.

Choc,
I've only extracted juice from the pear before, but not from kiwi. I use the juicer, but leychey to fix and wash just for the beef bulgolgi, so I normally will make a batch with my other fruit juice. The pear is those Chinese pear, not the angmoh pears. Apparently the pear/kiwi juice helps to break down the meat so it becomes more tender.
My Korean neighbour also marinates a big batch and then freeze them in individual portion to cook for each meal... saves time!

As for the rice cake, I sometimes use ready packet sauce. If not, I will fry lots of sliced onions, add in julienned carrots and then the spicy gochujang in red tub with some water (looks like this: http://www.koamart.com/shop/30-1983-hot_peppers_paste-cjw_hot_pepper_paste_2_2lbs.asp) and then rice cake, cook till rice cake is softened, then it's ready.

Thanks for the info on the prefried ginger strips! Didn't know we can do that... it's a good idea!

pbunny,
Catering... hmmm... not a good idea cos most contain MSG. I had catering in the past when hubby was always travelling, but they were so bad that I stopped. And I tried a few caterers, not just one. One of them was so bad that I stopped after 3 days cos both hubby and my throats died after eating their food... they refused to refund me my money, so technically I spent $150 on 3 dinners! My mum said it could be cos they re-use their oil dunno how many times.

cookie,
I now spree for my Nordic Naturals cod liver via VPOST, much cheaper esp. when I spree other things too.

Don't worry about the weight... on a positive note, smaller babies easier to push out right? Soph was also 2.3kg at 35th weeks plus, and I only had 3 more weeks deadline to put on weight cos C-sect have to get her out by 38th week. So I went on beef and durian binge. Read that in the last weeks of pregnancy, babies start to put on fats while everything else is more or less developed. And I remembered LittleCat says to put on fat, durian is the way to go cos of the sugar content.

For trip, I'm thinking of doing a yoga retreat sort of trip in India, but hubby doesn't like the idea, says it's not safe... crazy man! So now I'm thinking whether to do it in Bali or some resort. Yep, I'll probably be going alone... hubby offered to stay in SG with Soph to wean her off the breasts
happy.gif

Featherstar,
Your beef stew sounds yummy!
Inetrestingly, my mum's beef brislet stew (ngao lam) also uses lots of shallots... very similar to your beef stew, except that she only adds radish cos that's the traditional ngao lam style.

Hey cookie,

Yah.. now that you mentioned, didi has been sticking to me more than usual. He'll wait for me when I'm in toilet and will knock on the door.. Haiz..

Is your boy vomiting phlegm out? Maybe you can check with mil if it's due to too much fruits, too liang?

Think shouldn't have fruit overdose, you can observe his poo. Not too nua kind.. I know of kids who eat lots of fruits. My aussie host feeds her children with fruits in the morning and afternoon daily..

My no.2 can eat fruits faster than she eats main meals! But I did realise if she doesn't eat fruits for a day, she'll constipate more often compared to no.1 who doesn't eat as much fruits.

Nowadays, I find the weekend kids central caters more to primary level children, even no.2 doesn't really appreciate the prog. Only weekday mornings, sometimes, they show postman pat, barney. Now they showing Cailou at 9.30am.
A month ago, popular was selling postman pat and some other kiddish cds at 5 bucks, dunno if they have them now

Haha.. high five! Chu Qian yi ding and indomee also our fav.. But there's a price increase to indomee, used to be 1.80 plus, now, it's 2.60 liao!
Good idea to add more solid liao to the instant noodles! My dds always like the packet seasoning which is not so healthy..

I also found that more wt gain is on me than the bb during the last tri. When i asked gy, she told me got to rest alot for bb to absorb the food. She says she finds milk drinking for pg women good for bb's wt increase.. but I have doubts..

Re juandice,
No.1 gal had bad jaundice,was hospitalised .no.2very mild one. didi, mild one but lasted for a week. Was suspecting if it was due to too much meat intake just prior to delivery.. Lyn mentioned drinking carrot juice before delivering her twin girls, and they had no jaundice.. Will try that out one month before i pop..

What about mummies out there ?

Eh pbunny, I'll not suan your hb, but giggle... hyak hyak hyak..
So, what ho liao has your CL been cooking for you ? My previous Cl boiled herbal soup daily for me, until I felt like going to qi kong chu xue.. but aft conf, I did feel more energetic..

Ivena,
Does your no.1 like to eat the same kind of food as no. 2 ? When my no.3 was below 1, it was always porridge in a crockpot, hee.. lesser headache. Now that he's almost 2, I just make him eat whatever I cook for the older ones..

Featherstar, your beef stew sounds great..Thanks for the recipe..
Heard from my friend that cold storage beef is tender too.. My mil bought some sliced beef from chinatown market during CNY and used it for steamboat, surprisingly, it was very very tender! Dunno where the beef's from. Was quite ex tho..

choc06

Problem is my no. 1 doesnt eat veg at all...even a tiny bit of green he will dish it our from his plate...so in e end gotta cook separately...but if im too lazy to cook separately i will not add veg when i cook e porridge so they can eat from e same pot...hehe...

Ivena,
I'm SAHM. so it would be easier to jaga the boys, but headache or makes me boiling if they fight hee...

cookie,
oh...can get sheng hua tang in chinese medical store, will check it out.
My kitchen cabinet definitely got chu zian yi ting and indomie. One is my ds1 favourite,indomie is my hb fav.
My baby is also on the petite size. Gynae told me not to worry, is better to have a healthy baby than overweight baby which are not healthy, so let's be positive ok.

huskie,
I hope I can stay near you and pass some kimchi to me hee... bought one small tug of kimchi made in Singapore, Gana brand, quite ok but of course korea one is better.
wah...you really into korea food. The pear juice you use to marinate food I think I saw it in Da chang Jin show, they also use pear juice for meat.
Hey...going India for yoga is a good idea. I told my hb I also want to travel after bfeeding my baby, I really need a break for myself. Your hb very nice leh....offer to help take care of soph, my hb wait long long...

Any mommies here catering for buffet before? I'm thinking of having mini buffet in my hse. So far have shortlist some which is neo garden, YLS and meihao, any idea?

Hey ann and huskie,
Yesterday my mil gave me a some kimchi from a plastic container. She bought from the food fair in Taka. Am eating it now, it's quite good and crunchy, but dunno what's the brand.

ann, have you tried purple sage catering ? My sis says it's good but pricey.
Years ago, my friend catered paranakan food for her 3rd bb's full month, the set up and the food was good.. but I dunno which caterer , sorry.. hehe..

huskie,
thanks for the website.. Is there a non-spicy recipe for the rice cake ?

Joy,
once I pan fried salmon, then added onions, mixed veg, cut tomatoes and tomato sauce, a bit of sugar and soy, it was very appetising..

Hi ladies,
THanks for the warm welcome. Would love to come in more often, but difficult as my boy wants to be held most of the time. I can only log in when he is doing his 'stretching' exercise or when he sleeps.

Joy and choc,
thanks for recommendation!

choc,
Going to try your beef recipe this week.

huskie,
have you try Lansinoh storage milkbags before?

I also bought Korean dou jiang in a brown plastic tub sometimes back. Only use it once cos my dss and hb dun like the taste. It taste exactly like the organic miso paste I boought. Any idea what can I do with it?

cookie,
forgotten to tell you, yah...we did chose a date for the baby. Since gg thru c-sec, might as well chose a good date
happy.gif
How abt you? C-sec?
Where did you get your 2 small elephant logo organic rice?

Choc,
Didn't know you like kimchi too!
happy.gif

As for non-spicy rice cake, the Koreans normally make it into a soup... I see it in the restaurant menu all the time. I've made it this style once, with seaweed soup... nice! But the rice cake must be sliced in diagonal way, whereas for the spicy gravy style, can cook it in the original long cylinderical roll form.

As for instant noodles, heee, I also love Indomee and a Thai brand Tom Yum noodle, packaging is in foil type one.

Re jaundice, Soph had very mild but prolonged jaundice. Yeah, I remembered Lyn's carrot juice formula. If I ever mention that to my mum or sis, sure kenna scolding lah... cos they'll say carrots and papaya are so orange, will cause jaundice! Since you popping soon, you try and let me know OK?

annlee,
Re. catering, I used Delihub which is the halal subsidiary of Neo Gardens many times, cos usually some of my guests are Malay. Their menu and taste is exactly the same as Neo Gardens, except that they use halal meat. Very yummy chicken curry and beehoon... so good that my relatives all tabao until empty!

As for Korean dou jiang, yep, it's the Korean version of miso... got friendly bacteria inside, just like kimchi!
You can use it to make a soup base stew? Korean restaurants have a "bean paste stew" which they use this. Or I also use it as a dip for the lettuce with rice and meat wrapped inside. Just add a bit of sesame oil and chopped spring onion, and it makes a great dip.

As for Lansinoh milkbags, I have not used them before, cos I didn't have enough milk to store in them! Bought a few packs of them in a spree plus a First Few Years one from MIM, but unfortunately till now, still cannot pump enough to fill a bag!
sad.gif
Have been using those glass bottles in the past, and now just too lazy to pump. How do you define "good" or "no good" for milkbags?

Oh, I tried Gana brand kimchi from Carrefour before... not so good leh. I think the other Korea brand that you can get from NTUC is better. Actually some restaurants/stalls sell kimchi too you know? My hubby's colleague buys his from the Korean stall at Meridien Food Court.. a big tub, but can't remember how much he paid... around $10 or $15 I think.

Ivena,
Has your ds always refused to eat veges or only recently?
I'm also afraid Soph will one day not want to eat her greens! Then if I turn vegetarian one day, haha, she can go eat MacDonalds everyday!

btw, I went to Bollywood Veges yesterday for lunch... like Choc said, very good food!
I had the famous chicken curry which was interestingly sourish/assamish with no hint of coconut, grilled eggplant which was lovely, and veges with tofu which Soph liked.
Only drawback is that it's soooooo far!

Today too tired to cook so hubby suggested goign Crystal Jade to eat... woah, I find eating out so expensive nowadays. And both our throats "died" after that cos I think either got MSG or their food is overly strong with sauces. With that money, I could have bought 2g of cordyceps from Hock Hua next door and bu the whole family in a healthy way!
Think should cut down on eating outside or be more selective!

I also bought some Chuan Bei Mu from Hock Hua to make pear soup to nourish lungs and rid phlegm.

cookie,
How come your boy is vomitting/coughing? Is his vomit sticky and mucousy? If so, then ok leh, at least it's one way his body gets rid of the phlegm.
Could all his phlegminess be due to his formula milk? Which brand is he drinking?

Huskie

You are right, eating out is so ex these days,before paying is already 20 percent tax.

Hmmm...can sense that you are more relax compared to soph just born....bet you must be coping well now...

Cookie
Hope your boy is ok.

Teriyaki sauce
Anyone tried soy vay veri veri teriyaki sauce.

Annlee
Which preschool your boy is in right now?

Muffin
Boy kept wanted to be carried is normal...this stage will pass....just take it as a bonding time...Both my kids also like that...now so active, you will never have a chance to carry them....

morning

huskie
my boy has always refused to eat veg n fruit....think the only time he eat is when he is below 1 yr old and he enjoyed all those veg puree....haha

my boy loves meat n fish only...nuggets is his fav...

huskie,
Thanks for recommendating Delihub, will go thru their website later.

Is my first time purchasing the milkbags, have not arrive yet, dunno how to use it. I used to save my milk on glass or normal small milk bottle too.

My hb bought NTUC kimchi before but not korea brand, aiyo...don't get it, the chilli paste they use taste like kway chap chilli, maybe they make it to suit local taste, but definitely not for me. I read somewhere that Meridien food court serve good korean food.

Everytime when my hb and I step out of the restaurant, we will say out one thing, alot of msg hor....and agreed that eating out is very ex, we use to go Crystal Jade la mien and spend abt $30+ and now we gotta pay for ard $50, somemore is the same items that we order.

Any idea where or any nice food to eat in Thomson area?

Joy,
my boys studied in a church kindergarten near my house.

Huskie,

Did you try the kueh kueh and the fig, lemongrass drinks at bollywood? They are nice too..
haha.. yah.. recently, my tongue changed liao! Hope I'm not carrying a da chang jin inside me
proud.gif
When I had no.3 , my tongue was a little malayu and indian.. craving for spices..
My cousin who is very into korean food and soap operas says the same thing as you, how to prepare kimchi and rice cakes and where to eat good korean food.
Guess it's tedious preparing the kimchi, will buy from the shops, thanks for your reco.. hope they don't add any msg in the kimchi..

That day at my pil's , they stopped me from eating curry, claiming that the turmeric powder causes jaundice.. hee.. dunno how true leh.. Now I'm faithfully drinking raspberry leave tea, will wait nearer to due date before drinking carrot juice. i guess I'll just settle for the peel fresh carrot juice. hope it's as effective
happy.gif

Yah, agree with you all, eating out is indeed costly.. i really like the food in Soup restaurant, their samsui chicken is yummy..

Ann, I also use 2 elephant brand( da xiang/xiang xiang) brown rice.. It's softer and not as coarse as the other brand. i bought mine from organic shop in the market.. Don't need to soak the rice , just cook directly

Have you tried the row of shops along thomson or is it upper thomson road ? They have the ampang yong tau foo, chicken noodles, han's , roti prata(very good and crispy!) and the shanghainese food beside han's.. Think it's opp the ex seletar institute, sorry .. very bad at giving directions..

Hey ivena, how about potatoes ? Does your ds like pot, carrot soup ? Maybe introduce vege soup or stew with vege to him ? I know of a friend's hb who only eats leafy vege, no cauli, broccoli, beans etc

choc,
ha...I like samsui chicken too...very nice, the chicken is tender and yummy, nice to wrap with the lettuce too but hor lotsa msg, not sure is the chicken or the other food that I order.

About the food at thomson area, is it near Thomson medical centre?

Btw, where is bollywood restaurant?

annlee

I just tried the food catered from Delihub...taste yummy....u can consider tt for ur mini buffet session

choc06
hmm...he likes mashed potatoes...will make for him at times...
i have tried making meatballs by adding finely chopped broccoli or carrot...initially he eat it...but lately he seem to taste e veg then he spit it out...

Hey ann,

The row of makan stalls are near the old upper thomson sec sch.. heehee.. I'm from that dinosaur age..
You know the famous roti prata at Upper thomson, Springleaf garden ?

Near Thomson med centre will be Wee nam kee chicken rice, there's also a steamboat rest, which i haven't tried. Some other eateries there which are supposedly quite good.

Opp TMC is the coffee shop that sells tze char. Saw lots of people eating their fried rice, apparently got wok hei. I tried the beef hor fun, I find the beef artificially tenderized
happy.gif

Bollywood is at Neo Tiew Crescent, Lim chu kang that area, where the goat farm, organic vege farm is.

Back