Cooking Tips & Recipe

thanks twinkle, i will try soon! hehe no la, not sad la. it's the greatness of a mother's love!

ladies, today i woke up at 4am (poppy was hungry) and couldn't go back to sleep
kao_dizzy.gif
. watched a bit of cable and my thoughts went to 'what to cook for dinner tonight'.

so here's my menu for the evening:
curried prawns
giam chye tao hu soup
fried spinach with garlic
5 spice chicken

the soup will be an 'extension' of my lunch, which is bee tai mak. because i was craving for it last night and my hubby was too tired to go out with me to get it!

pbunny,

so early and u hv yr dinner menu ready liao. look like the little ones is thinking of what to eat too
happy.gif

I am still thinking shld i cook or not for tonight. I m very tired leh but if i dun cook, the little one dun really eat if I tabao. *headache*

Haha ! you ladies huh ! i actually not steady lah..
Joy, I ve also read a blog about a local lady with 6 kids, 2 boys and 4 girls, and her factory not closed yet. She can mop her floor squeaky clean daily, homesch her kids and prepare all meals! Steady Wonder Woman ! The big ones( 12 and 13 yrs old) will take care of the small ones, like buddy system and they help to clean up the house.. I am far far from it..

Giggler, maybe with more to come, and the kids get older, you'll find them more independent and a bit more free time for yourself ;)
Think when they are young, got to set some rules for them. My hb believes in being strict with them from young, then let go slowly, like a kite.

Husk, your dd is drinking soup like a cantonese! Yum Tong! Soup is good to hydrate the body.
Agree with the stress in some sch, kids really got not much time on their own..

Yesterday, I went to nature's farm to get more acidophilus and garlic pills. They having a sale now

Giggler,
First I brown the onions, then add the chopped chicken pieces, fry for a while, sealing the juice.
Add worchester sauce and some sea salt. Add roughly cut pots and carrots, and simmer for half an hr. Didn't add any water, cos the chicken, pots and carrots will produce "stock".
Before eating, add canned button mushrooms( cut into half) into stew. Cheers! your meal is settled!

Wow! pbuuny, you can fix so many delicious dishes ! You deep frying 5 spice chicken ?
I had my girls when i was 38 weeks , my boy at 39 weeks..maybe yours soon liao ! So exciting ! Must tell us when your poppy pops k ? You drinking coconut water these 2 weeks ? Heard it's good for removal of toxins and heatiness..

twinkle, no wonder my sliced fish always becomes shredded fish when i fry it! So, got to add in last.

Today, will be blanching spinach noodles and vege. Detoxing and vege day!

Hey COOKIE, you busy ar ?

Calling the reat of the makan kakis, VAN, ANNELISE, CAT, LYNN, SP.. etc etc.. COME AND YAK YAK HERE

choc
thanks for the recipe! i will make it this weekend
happy.gif

nah 5 spice chicken only stir fry. don't like to deep fry.

38 weeks plus liao. i very sian liao haha. cos i always thought she would come early and we were so excited and anticipating. every morning i wake up i ask her 'so how? is today the day? mama is tired of walking like ogre liao' hehe. i was born at 38 weeks, hubby at 42 weeks (that's why i always tell him, his 'gao tu' attitude started from then!) so maybe poppy wants to go to 40. gulp

yep drinking coconut water. i love it
happy.gif

huskie,
Not all SAP school has GEP if I'm not wrong, is not the same leh...cos as what I know GEP only caters to student who are intellectually gifted, and the child will be able to know whether they can eligible for GEP in primary 3 after sitting a screening test. For me, might not stress my son for this programme.
I joined the alumni too...remember to join 2 yrs or earlier before soph going primary 1 although is still a long way from now hee...

Twinkle,
ha...you also put 2 chopstick on the wok to steam egg. I saw this chef from taiwan show teaching this method to make the egg surface smooth like chawamushi.

pinkbunny,
your dinner sounds yummy wor... how you make your giam chye soup and 5 spices chicken?

choc,
are you expecting a baby girl?

giggler,
hee...it take abt a month for me to calm down... gotta face the fact that I'm pregnant and also telling myself is only that 2 yrs not easy for me. With my 2 boys right now aiyo...very ruan lor...fight with toys, this and that...quarrel...I actually v fierce with them, sometimes when I take the rotan out and they pleaded me not to cane them, I still don't give a chance hee...
Abt the SAP school, there's no sap school in Jurong west and east but I guess there're definitely popular school over there.

Hey pbunny,

Can know how you feel. Anticipating the arrival of poppy.. I was like that with no.3, very sian, tired and heavy! He was the latest to come out among the previous ones.
So, before he reached 40th week, I decided to walk and walk and walk at plaza sing with my 2 dds, lo and behold, 2 days later, I was 4 cm dilated ! Gynae asked if I want to pop, I told her sure ! And she burst the water bag, 5 hrs later, bb came out.
But some experienced mothers will advise that it's still early to birth and to strap onto the labour bed will slow down dilation and contractions.
With more walking, and due to gravitational pull, there'll be more dilation and hence faster birth. Will try that this time round
happy.gif

Wow! you hb really feels comfy inside mummy's womb, nice and warm. And they say girls are usually early, so dunno if this theory holds

Ann, yah, this time bb girl.. but when gy scanned at 23rd week, she can't see the 3 lines(labia), so hb still thinks 75% girl, I told him not to pin high hopes that it's a boy,cos birdy won't grow suddenly.. haha.. and my tummy getting rounder and rounder liao. Also bought 2 little dresses( 6 months) from a sale

joy, for you!:
1513832.jpg

annlee
wah you are fierce mama! but ya i think boys are more mischievious.

giam chye soup
stock is ikan bilis + prawn heads. then throw in giam chye, thinly sliced. 15 minutes before serving time, throw in quartered tomatoes and fish balls, and prawns if you have. 5 minutes before serving add tofu

5 spice chicken is super easy
marinate small pieces of chicken breasts with a bit of sesame oil (those going to give birth soon, don't put too much!) and pepper, and 5 spice powder. for 2 people, i put 1 tbsp. then just fry! can fry with thinly sliced onions. result will be dry dry kind.

choc
it's quite funny cos i heard that girls usually take longer cos they keep saying 'aiyah not ready yet, must comb my hair, put on make up' hahaha. but i was kanchiong la. cannot wait to see the world
happy.gif
wow 40 weeks! aiyah very conflicting. if i walk too much my feet pain and get water retention. but i want her to come so walking it will be since smooth talking doesn't seem to be working!!! thanks!

hey my tummy is quite jiam leh for a girl!:
1513833.jpg

that was at week 36

choc,
oh..so that's why I think you feel more fat on the waist and hip area. For me all my preggies, my side did not put on only the front pointed out. No wonder ppl are saying if expecting a girl the side of waist expanding and not pointed out.

pinkbunny,
ha...you're so cute...took picture on your tummy. At first was wondering what's that and after reading your text and is your tummy.
Thanks for the recipe!!

Choc, thanks for the recipe, it looks simple and easy to cook.
happy.gif
I believe in being strict with them from young too. But kids nowadays are much more 'advanced' than before leh. Hahaha... Your hb wants boy? I prefer gals.
happy.gif

Ann, it has been abt a mth since I tested positive but still haven really calmed down leh. Still not prepared to announce to anyone also, not even my mom. Sigh... How old are your 2 boys now? I've one 4yo gal and 1yo boy, and they fight too... Hahaha...
happy.gif
But I quite enjoy their fighting and squabbling lah. LOL... I still have time to research for Pr Sch for my gal since she's only 4yrs old now?

Pinkbunny, LOL!!! Your tummy is sharp leh, thot they say sharp tummy means boy?

Pinkbunny
Thanks for the pic

Your tummy look sharp.Most will think the baby is a boy.For my first pregnancy, a gal, tummy broader, second one, boy, looks like a basket ball, and more compact...

Wow, really marvel your energy in cooking, me already retired liao.

HAHAHA.. pbunny, so cute ! your tummy ! protruding from the cabinet. yah.. i thought so too, your tummy looks real jiam. Your kitchen very country leh ! And I thought my fridge looks like yours, 2 doors..full of magnets!

Ann, pp say when carrying boys, you won't look preggy from behind, still look very shapely! Good hor! When I was carrying no. 3, I felt my tummy exploding from front, this time, i felt like a "shui tong"

Giggler, actually I also prefer gals, just that hb thought one more boy to accompany my no.3 will be perfect, since we have 2 girls( one 8 and one 6) liao.
I told him this kind of things very difficult to "pok"/gamble one leh! What gender prediction chart, shettles method can only believe half.
I only announce no. 4 to family members when I was 12 weeks preg. So maybe when you more ready then announce ?

Hey Giggler,
Congrats!

Choc,
Thanks for Nature farm sale info! But I just got 2 bottles of the acidophilus from my spree last time, so won't need to stock up.
Which acidophilus do you buy? The capsule one issit?

pbunny,
Your pic very cute!
biggrin.gif

The 5-spice chicken sounds yummy, but I'm so lazy to fry stuff, cos gotta mop up the floor, so no choice, have to eat steamed stuff.

annlee,
Thanks for clarification on GEP and SAP schools!
Gonna send in my alumni application for and payment later!

Re. tummies, my tummy was very sharp and protruding with Soph leh, so much so that from back view, I don't look pregnant, just plumpish.
My SIL's tummy was more to the side, but hers is a boy. Her backview is more pyramid/xmas tree-like.

What are you girls cooking tonight?
I made chicken soup for lunch, but Soph don't seem to be abig fan of it... maybe cos the dang shen is abit bitter tasting?

giggler,
I think it take times to calm you down, gotta face it. Let me tell you, right now I'm feel good having #3, waiting for him to be out and wanted to see how he look like.
My elder son coming to 6 and ds2 3yr old.
ya...you still have time looking for school now, are you doing volunteer work or?? I'm not so sure when you need to start to enrol for volunteer work if you intend to. Only know that it takes exactly 2 yrs or earlier to join alumni or those clan.

choc,
aiyo...where got good...sama sama la... front also got layer of fats hee...

Tonight I'm cooking chap chye and steam mince meat.

huskie,
maybe dand sheng the smell is abit strong, my boys also don't like it.

annlee,
Soph's hands and feet always get icy cold in aircon places.
My mum watched this show by Chen Mei-Er, Ma Kuang's chinese physician, and she said boil dangshen with red dates to let baby drink to bu qi. So I thought I can try dangshen in the chicken soup first lor.

Eh, I tried pumpkin on Soph again, this time she took it... haha, maybe she was really hungry!

Choc,
I am here reporting!
happy.gif

Didi sleeping with u now?
How abt sleeping arrangement for the 2 jie jie?
My boy sleeping beside me on a day bed now (push against our bed) then the little one will sleep between my husband and me.
But hor, wondering if no.2 older what to do. cos the room will not be able to accomodate another bed.
Will try out yr method or sleeping on the side more.
Now tend to turn and toss throughout the night.
And the boy not sleeping well these few nights also.
How huh, on the dark eye circles?
my mo kept telling me will be permanent for me if i do not get rid of it soon.
but... with no. 2 coming, sure more sleepless nights...
Can i know what's yr family reaction when they knew u were expecting no. 4?
very sian... just had one chinese counterpart asking me why am i so stupid to have no.2 so soon. he said no one in sound mind in china will do that
sad.gif

he is a father of a 4 year old boy and thinks that one is enough.
actually alot of my chinese counterpart asking me why i want to have no.2 also.

Pinkbunny,
poppy too comfy in yr tummy. ;)
heee.... u try to be on all fours a few times a day to see if it helps. otherwise try choc walking method.
i was on all four cleaning up the kitchen after the renovation, then 2 days later my water bag burst. that time was abt 37weeks.
Will try yr Chan Maki and choc stew chicken this weekend. This pregnancy eating very very little fish. in fact have not touch fish yet for this week. jia luk.
think hor, the mirin after cooking... alcohol would have been evaporated. should be safe. i am eating quite a bit of things cooked with mirin and red wine still.
why cannot eat too much sesame oil huh??
is yr husband fm montreal?
yr tummy is very sharp leh!
when i had my boy, my tummy was quite rounded. so alot of people guessing its girl, but turn out boy.
now think alot of people commenting my tummy sharp.... heee... maybe got chance its girl hor.
my edd is 10aug. heee... also wondering if will have national day baby so can get diaper sponsorship for a year. ;)

Joy,
remember to let us know when u find a good eye cream. ;)

Ann,
how did the test go?
think sugar can really make one put on weight.
my last pregnanyc i put on 25kg, think partly was becos i drank at least 3cans of coke a day.
me intending to work till i go into labour like no. 1.
but recently getting very tired, so intending to maybe take a day off each week to rest, run errands, prepare for no. 2 arrival and also spend time with no. 1 etc.

Twinkle,
our boys so vainpot hor.
ai yo.. my boy even wants to put on my toner and cream when he sees me doing that.
and in school the teacher was wondering why he pats all sorts of liquid (water, paint etc) on his face.

Huskie,
my boy is getting better now. But sigh... last night one big 'baluku' on the back f his head. cos was rolling on the bed and hit his head on the metal bedframe. think it hurts alot. cos whenever he tried laying on his back to sleep will cry in pain. in the end he dozed while sitting on the bed, and then we transferred him to sleep on his side.
U got the powdered cordyceps fm EYS? funny thing is that my friend told me its EYS sinseh says better to double boil but EYS still selling the powered form.
I dun give my boy often. once in a while sprinkle into his porridge.
We usually double boil once every few weeks and feed him abt half bowl of the soup.
The powdered cordyceps i took was mixed with paosheng, gao li sheng and tian ma for me. my husband's portion was added with paosheng and shi fu.
the recommended dosage was each night abt one tablespoon mixed with water.
we were drinking that when trying for baby.
If scare soph will OD, maybe can try giving her say 2-3 times per week?

Giggler,
Congratulations! and also welcome to the cooking club.
happy.gif

Choc, ya, diff to determine gender lah, just be happy that bb is normal and healthy.
happy.gif

Huskie, thanks
happy.gif

Ann, your kids all 3yrs gap. I like the chap chye my dad cooks but need lots of ingredients.

Zzzcookie, thanks
happy.gif
happy.gif
you still drink coke when you preg? My fren also said that it's best to double boil cordyceps leh. Cordyceps is so exp nowadays... I trying to cook during weekends for the whole family so come in here to 'tou shi'
happy.gif

Huskie,
i bought one bot of kyo9 acidophilus, one bot of powdered one for no. 3's milk, garlic pills for hb's sinus and 2 bots cranberry cum 1 billion friendly bac( good for urinary tract infection). Now the promotion is buy 2 get 30% off the 2 products and 3 for 35%.
My pocket "pok" liao!

For the parent vol, i signed up at chongfu when dd was in k1, no vacancy liao! A guessed its bcos it's dragon yr!

Hey cookie, didi sleeping in the cot now, at times, will climb to my legs as the bed and cot are joined.
When I had 2 kids, the bb cot was placed bside me and another foldable bed beside my hb. Aft 2 yrs , they both went to their own bed, bought them nice bedsheets to lure them away.
Now I have a problem,to kick no. 3 out of our room and sleep with jie jies. His bed is already there.

I was in SH, with 2 kids and pp would stare at me! Over there, 6 pp take care of one child, PIL, grandparents and parents. So their kids are utterly spoilt! Don't bother about these pp, another bb will be good for you boy boy to have company, they learn to share and have company
happy.gif

Now aft the sichuan quake, with the only child dead, some parents wished they had a 2nd child.. so sad!

When i broke the news of having no.4, my pils said good, 2 girls 2 boys. In my heart, I said so easy meh! haha..My pils had 3 boys.
My parents were ok and my sis was excited, bought some clothes for no. 4 liao.

Your boy not sleeping, could it be due to sleeping too long in the afternoon? My boy is like that at times.

Hey giggler, yalor.. as long as bb is healthy. I skipped all the tests, praying for a healthy bb.

Eh cookie, ya, maybe yours a girl;) since got different symptoms as boy boy.. So, you bought all the neutral col clothes ?

Ann, what seasoning you add to your chap chye ? I can eat just chap chye with chilli padi, YUM!

congrats giggler!
why you don't dare to tell your mum? i'm sure she'll be happy for you
happy.gif

re my tummy
i think it just looks sharp cos i was bending back so that only my tummy was sticking out. quite an acrobatic stance for me hor hehe. but now bigger liao

and we confirmed 3 times with gynae that it's a girl. i told poppy if she decides to give us a surprise, no choice, still have to wear pink and sleep in pink room hahaha

cookie
yes my hubby is from montreal! wow national day baby got 1 year diaper sponsorship? cool! i keep my water retention fingers crossed for you hehe

ann
please do share chap chye recipe! i have one but it's soooo tedious to do that i have only done it once hehe.

twinkle and huskie
your boys are so funny ler!

cookie,
I think the EYS sales staff are not very consistent in what they say, and probably some sales staff don't know the real stuff too... better trust the sinseh.
The lady who wold me the cordyceps also sold me American Ginseng in orange box and told them they're cultivated ones, but $300+ leh. Then I read in the forum that the orange box ones are actually wild ones, the purple box ones are the cultivated ones. I wanted the cheaper cultivated ones for hubby and me. And they sliced them to thickly for me, sian.... cos I wanted to just pour boiling water over... thinner better actually.
But they told me if cut thinner then will break. I checked with my grandma who used to open a med hall... my grandma said if will break, means the ginseng put there very long liao.
Now that you told me what the sinseh said, next time I'll buy the non-grounded cordyceps.
Hard to find a trustworthy med hall though, so sometimes no choice have to go back to EYS! sigh!

Re. dark circles, I also have them, and lots of fine lines too
sad.gif

Hope you have a princess and the princess will come out on National Day!
happy.gif

Choc,
You skipped all the tests? Even Oscar?
Woah, the discount is quite good... must the the GSS!

pbunny,
I don't have a boy leh... hee, my Sophie is a girl
happy.gif

You must have typed the wrong name!

twinkle,
So how? Did you tabao dinner in the end?
I think your boy is smart... he knows homecooked food is best for him!

annlee,
I also like chap chye, esp the nonya type. How do you make yours?

Mommies,
Here's something for you!
http://teachingisaac.blogspot.com/2008/06/what-did-you-do-today.html

Excerpt here if you don't want to click the link... don't scold me for spamming ok
happy.gif

<font color="aa00aa">~ WHAT DID YOU DO THE WHOLE DAY TODAY?~

A man came home from work and found his three children outside, still in their pajamas, playing in the mud. Empty boxes and food wrappers were strewn all around the front yard. The door to his wife's car was open, as was the front door to the house, and there was no sign of the dog.

Proceeding into the entry, he found a lamp knocked over and the throw rug wadded against one wall. In the front room, the TV was loudly blaring a cartoon channel and the family room was piled with toys and clothes. In the kitchen, dirty dishes filled the sink, food was spilled on the counter, the fridge door was open wide, dog food was spilled all over the floor, a broken glass lay under the table, and a small pile of sand was spread by the back door.

He quickly headed up the stairs, stepping over toys and more piles of clothes, looking for his wife. He was worried she might be ill, or that something serious had happened. He was met with a small trickle of water as it made its way out of the bathroom door. As he peered inside he found wet towels, miles of toilet paper in a heap, and toothpaste smeared over the mirror and walls.

As he rushed to the bedroom, he found his wife still curled up in the bed in her pajamas, reading a novel.

She looked up at him, smiled, and asked how his day went.

He looked at her bewildered and asked, "What happened here today?"

She again smiled and answered, "You know, every day when you come home from work and you ask me what in the world I do at home all day?"

"Yes," was his incredulous reply.

She answered, "Well, today I didn't do it."
</font>

huskie,

no spamming lah i find it funny with a twist.

yr advise on Ginseng good leh, next time i know lah.

today i end up cooking very basic meal.
Taiwanese "Gong Yuan Soup" which soup with all the balls such as teochew fishball, meatball, carrot and some green veg.
Soup for all and " shui zhu " fish for ds and a sunny side up for adults.

Morning gals,
Last night was so sad for me... dd woke up at 1+ and refused to go back to sleep. These few nights she's been waking up at 12midnight, 1+, 3+ and 5+! Then yesterday night, after leaving her in her room to cry for 10mins, I decided to go in and pacify her, but she still kept crying on and off. Suddenly this mommy had a very late instinct and decided to make a cup of milk for her. She drank about 120ml and then quietened down.
I was so sad cos I think my ss dropping drastically. I've been trying to give her milk from cup at 730pm (her bedtime), but she always don't wanna drink leh... only takes about 30ml then wanna latch. I also latch one more time at 10pm but think my well really running dry liao. My bf career should be coming to an end soon!

hi sunkids,
Welcome here!

How you make your Taiwanese Gong Yuan? Hubby went to Hsin Zhu in Taiwan before, and kept raving about the gong yuan that they're famous for.
And what is shui zhu fish?

sorry huskie! i meant choc and twinkle! hehe paisay

oh huskie, don't be sad. have you tried some recipes to increase your supply? rest well today ok?

your post about the wife - that's a GOOD one!

Huskie,

maybe Sophie is at her milk perk tat why she demand for additional milk. Dun worry, monitor for awhile more. meanwhile u can try to increase yr supply.

'shui zhu' fish let me try to describe. I put a little olive oil and pan fried the fish , then when it is sizzling i add alittle chicken stock/plain water to it . like cooking fish in water. more healthy only lah
happy.gif

Gong Yuan soup in taiwan is very nice but i dun know how to made it exactly. My version is chicken stock based lor. that is the fastest meal that i can cook. dump all the balls and veg in and once it is boiling can turn off liao. hahaha lazy cook like me will like it. I think in taiwan , their balls are handmade and very spongy.

mummies, curried prawns are super yum! did i tell you i got inspired by watching some cooking show on cable when i could sleep at like 4am one night? i totally missed the recipe but tried to put this dish together anyway hehe. so simple and so yummy!

clean prawns (remove shell and the sai from the back) and set aside
fry onions and ginger (thinly sliced) and garlic (finely chopped) until fragrant
add in prawns till almost cooked
then add in curry mixture (i used about 1.5 tbsp curry powder, those bought from market kind + about 1/4 of small bowl of water)

once curry mixture starts to bubble, it's done. less than 10 mins of prep + cooking!

1516182.jpg

and yesterday's giam chye soup
1516183.jpg

and 5 spiced chicken (i also added some black pepper when frying)
1516184.jpg

Choc, I dun dare to think abt the sleeping arrangement yet. Now both kids cramp with us in our master bedroom.
happy.gif

Pbunny, thot of only telling my mom after I see gynae ba. Not sure if she'll be happy for me leh cos she's alrd dying now helping me and my bro taking care of our 4 kids. Inspired by you to cook the giam chye soup tom.
happy.gif

Huskie, you still tbfg Soph? Wow, you very gd!!! I stopped bfg Sherwin after 9mths.

giggler
ah good idea. of course she will be happy for you, don't worry
happy.gif
i saw in some pregnancy book that giam chye soup is good for preggie mummies in 1st trimester to 'kai wei' (open appetite). but remember to soak the giam chye if not will be very giam and possibly cause water retention hor!

Hello ladies!

Making spinach+ minced meat ball porridge today.

Pbunny, wow! your curry prawn looks very yummy! Must try your recipe one of these days. Is it spicy ? My dds love curry but can't take too spicy. Is the curry powder for chicken or fish kind ?
Your 5 spice chix looks good too and i like your giam chye teng best of all, looks so appetizing! Let me guess, you added tau foo, tomatoes, fishballs and giam chye into the ikan bilis stock is it ?

Hee.. I ve read in the ang moh forums that some women who were yearning for a bb girl , ended up with a bb boy! They swore they could see the 3 hamburger lines! And were in for surprise when they were in last trimester or when they deliver. Well, I guess Singapore technology won't make these kind of boo boo.. Even if there is, it's only a very small % .

Huskie, don't be disheartened.. maybe your body is telling you to prepare for no. 2 ? hehe.. I did have those days when milk supply went down( almost empty about 11, 12 months) and thought my bb was no longer a little bb, so sad..
Build up your body with more nutritious food and yum tong, k? Maybe the supply will come back.
Sophie is probably hungry at midnight, had that with no. 3 too. Use oil rub tummy, didn't help, Aft milk, he went to sleep straight away..

Yah, i skipped all the tests.. thought don't want to scare myself. My gynea just did a rough check and said bb looked normal..
Your excerpt on the woman who did nothing is really true!

Hey sunkids, the gong yuan soup is real unique!A good one dish soup to go with rice!

Giggler, take care ya! First trimester is very crucial. Are you a SAHM ?

I just bought a confinement cook book by Amy Wong and looking at the pictures made me drool! Will read it for entertainment when I'm in the toilet.. haha..

choc
nope not spicy. i used the chicken curry kind, not fish curry. if you want less spicy then add more water, less curry powder
happy.gif

giam chye tng i didn't use YTF but the rest are right
happy.gif

ok off to see poppy at clinic! have a nice day mummies! and happy cooking! this evening hanging up my apron and having nice dinner out with fellow preggies hehe

choc,

i m a lousy cook and to make a quick and fast meal everyday i running out of ideas. Short cut is the trick to my receipe now. I made most of the chicken stock and pork stock over the wkend and freeze it.

Hi

Can I just check anyone has tried the woh hup chicken marinate sauce or the lee kum kee chicken marinate sauce?anyone has idea which is the better one?

Hi ladies,

very sianz....went for my gtt last friday and thought is the food that I take that causes sugar level to zoom up but is actually not...think my body cannot break down the sugar in certain time that's why I need to do another test again.

pinkbunny,
wah...you're gg to pop anything huh...
My chap chye is very simple, only put those veggies that I like, like cabbage, black fungus, alittle carrot, sometimes long beans, tau kee, tang hoon and sometime will add chicken. I cooked with chop garlic not mince, 3 slices of ginger(optional), tau cheo, alittle soy sauce. My mum added pork belly and golden needle and her chap chye is very good...but I'm health conscious so did not add pork belly.

choc,
chap chye I eat with chilli padi and balachan chilli too... You taking chilli padi now? Alot of ppl told me to stop ha...but I like it very much leh...

huskie,
I like your post on ~ WHAT DID YOU DO THE WHOLE DAY TODAY?~
People really don't know what SAHM do until they try it themselves. Eg my own brother... love to tell me that I'm doing nothing at home. recently ask me again...so are you going back to work since you stay at home doing nothing...must to lazing ard...doing nothing, sleeping right??? I'm quite puzzled why he tells me that since he don't even ask or know what I;m doing at home and with the kids?? Until I realize that his wife is doing nothing at home!!
My mum and sister who is staying with them always complaining my sil doing nothing at home when her confinement and aft confinemnt days. Esp my sister, can smses me almost everyday telling me my sil doing nothing with the baby an acted blur when baby cries and continue reading her mag since my sil knows that someone will attending to the baby. She does not feed her elder son or bathe, only do it when my mum is super busy. Her 2nd son which is 2 months now is taking care by the maid, the maid is actually hire to take care of my dad. So everyday, 1 kid for my mum to take care, the 2nd one for the maid to take care so she need not do anything and sleep whole day. On weekend, she and my brother will go gai gai without the kids. So that's why my bro thought my life is like her wife, doing nothing and nuah ard...and I think my sil give brith because my bro wants it, if not how can she don't care abt them..haiz...bonding is so important! Oh yes...my sil don't even know how to cook, not even an egg, heard she only know how to cook instant noodle a few times in their home. Scarly she don't even how to crack an egg hehehe...
So she actually like superstar mum...got so many ppl to take care of their kids, but hey...superstar or actress althought they got alot of helpers, nanny but they still play or take care of their kids right...look at angelina jolie. Aiyo...sorry for the long post...just can't stand mommies treating their children like that, esp my sil baby, like no mother love at all...

joy and twinkle,
until now I did not receive the pm. can send it to [email protected]

pinkbunny,
sorry...it shld be pop anytime not anything hee..
oh yes...the chap chye I also add some dried mushroom and button mushroom, my sons love button mushroom.

What are you ladies cooking today?

Dinner will be making fried kway teow mee and lotus root black bean soup.

hey girls,
Thanks for the consolation on milk ss.
Hee, my period just came today! Maybe that's why milk ss was low for the last few days?
Haven't had my period for such a long time that I forgot it actually gives me backache! *sian*
But good thing is that now I may be able to track it properly and TTC for #2
happy.gif

twinkle,
Your shui zhi fish sounds healthy, like a mix between frying and poaching. I should try that one day, since I am clueless about frying stuff
happy.gif

pinkbunny,
Your prawns looks yummy!
happy.gif

Gig,
Yeah, I'm still TBF-ing, but over the last 2 weeks, replaced goat milk for Soph's afternoon feed. Think not much milk left, cos after her morning latch, she can eat breakfast 30mins later... probably just comfort latching me
happy.gif

annlee,
So sorry to hear about the GTT results.
Do you eat brown rice instead of white rice?
My friend had GD for her first pregnancy... then for her 2nd pregnancy, she controlled her diet by eatign only brown rice, and in small meals i.e. she eats 5 small meals a day instead of the usual 3. And she had no GD for her 2nd pregnancy.

Woah, your SIL is a superstar mum?! Hee, does she have a superstar body too?
wink.gif

No wonder your bro thinks SAHM life so easy! But why does your SIL need to be a SAHM when she does nothing and your mum and maid look after the baby? How come your bro don't ask her to go back to work?

My SIL is almost like that... plays mahjong thru the night even when she was pregnant and doing confinement, and of course now too. And after a few weeks of bf, cannot stand the pain/engorgement, stopped bf. She's got a maid to do housework, puts baby at my mum's place and have most her meals at my mum's. There was once she even told my mum she wanted to let baby stay overnight with my mum cos she wanted my mum to "train" the baby not to wake up at night for milk. Reason is cos she would be going back to work after her ML, and needs her sleep at night, so she wants a baby who could sleep thru the night.
Hee, then one day she asked my hubby how I got back to my pre-preg weight so fast... my hubby just told her "Sack the maid, look after the baby yourself and cook your own meals." Then her eyes popped out real big and immed exclaimed she cannot do that!
wink.gif

huskie,
ha...well said!! I totally agreed what your hb says...sack the maid, look aft the bb and cook and really really can slim down pretty fast.
My sil does not have a superstar body but she's born naturally thin. My naughty hb called her popeye's wife and she's something like that.
She's working but now still on maternity leave. But even though excuse her for working she still does not play a role as a mother. Heard that whenever she came back from work, her son will rush to her and wants her to carry but she will stop him and say wait wait until I finish my dinner, and not even a hug.
She also bf for only 2 weeks or less, she blamed on the pain and low milk supply..oh no, give me a break.
My bo chap hb also made remarks on her that he never see such useless person or zombie in his life before...saying my sil dunno anything and don't even wanna learn, no goal in her life. So I take this opportunity to tell my hb, you see...you're so fortunate, marrying me, look at her... but I'm comparing with her not others.
And recently I really look down on her. She wants to know what I cook or add on my son porriage and follow but don't want to ask me and well...she asked my maid, worst of all, not that she wants to know on what I put, she told my maid to tell her maid what I add in and do it accordingly, no need to tell her. oh come on...don't have to do such a thing...I'm happy to share recipe with you not for you but for my nephew. And she's so bad, don't wanna know and maid know is enough.
aiyo...your sil also like that...dunno whether to say they're fortunate or what...can sleep hor... look at what your sil and mine...to be honest and I'm not boosting...the mommies here really a wei da mama

Abt the brown rice, I cook togther with white rice but more on brown one. I don't eat alot of rice leh...maybe shld focus on meat and veggies.

Giggler,
ya lor.. i was still drinking 3 cans of coke everyday during my first pregnancy.
cos gynaes its okie, as long as i can stomach food. and happy mummy = happy baby. dun deprive ourselves.
but... i put on 25kg
sad.gif

when are u next going to the gynae?
dun think so much, u sure will be able to cope.
happy.gif

Choc,
thanks for the insight on the sleeping arrangements. maybe i will wait till no2 abt 2-3, then ask no.1 and no.2 to sleep together. ;)
hee.. can ask the two jie jie to lure didi away?
so far didi have any reaction to no.4?

agree with u that a lot of china kids now are really spoilt.
think they have 7people to take care of one kid, including the ah yi.
got to know one beijing counterpart, he don't allow his baby to go out of his house estate till abt one years old. cos he is worried abt pollution.
so the baby can only stay and home and go downstairs for stroll.

sigh..... yr pils like mine leh. kept thinking that we can choose gender.
machiam its an an/off switch. and my pil still hope its a boy for this one.

my boy is sleeping very little during the day as well. at times only 30mins to 1hr.
and he's not sleeping every early in the night also. probably abt 9-10pm and wakes up at abt 730am.

heee... i hope this one is girl and dunno since confirm pregnant, i have a feeling its a girl. ;)

the chicken stew is very nice... cooked it over the weekend.
happy.gif

Pinkbunny,
my sil is fm montreal also. but she is chinese.
heee... we hope to get national day baby, but gynae says likely to be early.
so now waiting.

poppy's daddy got any instinct when she is arriving?
my no 1 time, my husband guess was quite spot on.
maybe ask poppy's daddy to guess.

Yr giam cai teng very tempting, so is yr curry prawns.
what's cooking tonight?

Huskie,
agree with u that a lot of medical hall people are not well-versed or as knowledgeable as we hope they are.
we used to get cordyceps fm one usual medicial hall, they are the ones that recommended that we grind the cordyceps into power to take.
But recently we found the cordyceps of not so good quality. so looking for elsewhere to buy.
Heard fm my friend fu hua cordyceps is quite ok, so may pop by to take a look.
Like u, we also patronised EYS or Fu Hua cos dunno of other trustworthy medical hall, and realised their stuff slightly more expensive.

If any of yr friends going to vancouver, can ask them to get the america ginseng drink there. its much cheaper and taste better than the EYS one.
But like u we have been getting the orange box fm EYS. Do buy during their sales if u like the drink. cos think can get 20pct off.

Can i ask what is the skin care product that u used to order fm... heee.. me too lazy to find in the old thread.
i have tried many different eye gel/cream... seems like nothing worked.
sad.gif

and i like the article u just posted.
so many man took sahm for granted.

heee.. initially wanted to ask u if u may be preggy cos yr MS lower.. but good now that menses is back, u can plan for yr no. 2.
happy.gif

Ann,
dun be sian... just endure for another few more weeks.
happy.gif

u know in china (i mean the city, and hope don't offend anyone hor) when one is pregnant... they are treated like queen.
Probably a few months before edd, they are already on leave to rest. and the entire clan fusses over the pregnant mum.
think yr sil may have this chinese mentality also.

also why cannot eat chilli during preggy?
i ate tons of chilli during last pregnancy and still eating tons of it now.
think food taste better with chilli padi and sambal balachan. ;)

thanks annlee for the chapchye recipe!

cookie
your SIL from montreal? cool! is she in SG now or in montreal? if in montreal, we will be going back in dec with poppy, would you like me to tompang something for you?

we are trying to convince poppy to come on sunday - 06/07/08
happy.gif

ask poppy's papa to guess ah? haha he tried asking her to come on the day of his exam so he can defer, on day when his office got sports day (he works in a school) so he didn't need to go... but she never listen leh. i think his 6th sense bueh zun one la!

today i made chicken burger! home made patties! shiok! and now hubby is happily mopping the floor haha.

if this weekend poppy is not here yet, i'll make chicken stew
happy.gif
on the menu tomorrow is pizza with foccacia bread! yum

ladies, i actually have a blog whereby i upload all my recipes - if you like, PM me your email address and i can send you an invitation and you have free access to them
happy.gif

Hi Ladies

Good morning. was very busy last few days so never catch up with the posts...

SIL
I have a very arrogant sil. She will never ask anything cos FACE to her is very important.

Pinkbunny
Have pm you and cant wait to read your blog...

DINNER
I cook kou ren last night. steam fish and fried chillie prawn.

CHap chye
This is one dish I never want to do it again....Mil also use pork belly etc to cook...I omit it and hubby said mine tastes differently from mil and I know its the pork belly...so I know I will never achieve one without pork belly.Write off already....

Ginseng
I think in the states, the ginseng teabags also very cheap. I stopped buying already.

EYS /FUJWA
I think eys is more proffesional.However more expensive too.

Skin care/eye care
Huskie I also very keen on the pdt....care to share.Is it excel?
Have you gal heard of those MLM pdt?

joy
you are also sleepless in SG? hehe. i woke up at 5am cos poppy was hungry :S

okie will send you the invite! :p what is kou ren by the way?

pinkbunny

Thanks....Want to sleep more but girl need to go to school, so has to walk her through....

Sorri, I mean kong ba, which is chinese pork stew that eat with a bun.

Hey, cannot access to your cooking website....

annlee,
Woah, I think your SIL is terrible, don't even care what the baby eats? She trusts the maid so much?
At least my SIL likes to spend her weekends and free time with her baby... sometimes on her off days she'll keep baby at home cos bu she de pass to my mum
happy.gif

And she'll ask me what are those stuff I am feeding Soph... can see that she is trying to remember them.
The only thing I think she is not so nice is that she takes my mum for granted... will say tomorrow send baby over to my mum's and will call tomorrow morning, then the next day, never call at all.... my mum will wait at home, don't dare to even go market in case she comes... then she will call at 3pm and say bringing baby over in 10min time. That means my mum waited for half a day liao!

btw, remember some time back we were reading and discussing about toxicity in cod liver oil? I found this article which says that Vit A and D in cod liver oil is safe.
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/cod-liver-oil-menu.html

cookie,
The skincare I used during pregnancy and till now is Vitasence, a local brand manufactured in Tuas! Website is Vitasence.com
I find their eye gel so so only... don't like the texture... too watery and very hard to apply and sometimes gets into my eyes. And the pump is difficult to control the amount pumped out.
Now I only use their cleansing foam, soothing moisturiser and day SPF.

Yep, I got my orange box one last month, when they had 20% off for members, but still, very expensive
happy.gif
cos I really wanted the cultivated ones for adults just to reduce heatiness that's all.

Joy,
I also heard that Excel products are good, but very expensive for something made in Malaysia issit?

pbunny,
Have PM-ed you!
happy.gif

Saw that you'll be delivering at Mt. A.
I love Mt. A - nurses are great and their confinement menu is yummy!

Hello girls,

Haha! All the talk about sils! My hb addresses her sil as silly.They have no kids and are party animals!

ann, your sil really eat sleep eat sleep, dunno how these people can do that! Won't their muscles or bones creak when they get up from bed?

huskie, your sil really free to play mahjong! These people really got so much time in the world! Jia you for ttcing no. 2
happy.gif
I experienced that too, whenever period about to come, milk supply really runs low and suckling is painful. Hey, maybe you can try the gender selection diet when planning for no. 2 and see if it works ;)

Recently, I also read about blood type diet. Have you ladies come across this ? My blood type is o+ and this doc suggests lamb, beef and lesser carbs and wheat! Cos our gastric juice is meant to digest more meat, But I'm not convinced about it bcos more meat might lead to higher chances of strokes and bad chol.

My family is also taking cactus juice from E-excel and when my kids have sore throat or fever, one tablespoon seems to be able to suppress it. Quite amazing !

pbunny, I also want to access to your cooking blog! Can pm me ?Is your chicken patty difficult to make ?

ann, yah, why can't eat too much chilli padi when preggy huh ? I've been eating lots and lots for this one, but not no. 3! So, what did the gynae advise you now about the GD? Got to take medicine ?

Hey cookie, how many boys do your pils want ? Thought with one boy and girl, they should be very happy. When i told sil that I have another girl, she said "ah? another girl?'
yah, your plan is good to wait for no. 1 to be older, then they can sleep together.My no.2 will play with no. 3 if they sleep in the same room.. think will shelf off the plan to let no.3 sleep with them first. Might let him sleep on the mattress on the floor in our room , then slowly,get him out.. hehe..

Hey joy, what chilli prawn did you make ? sambal kind ?

Today making "claypot" chicken rice using rice cooker.Marinade chix parts with soy, sesame, black sauce and pepper for an hr. When brown rice is half cooked, throw in the chix, then almost cooked, add in chinese sausages and finally, some sliced giam hee.
Also made apple soup since i have some not-so-crispy apples.

cookie, choc
abt chilli padi they says is too spicy...not so good for baby leh...balachan also, because of the small dried prawn inside it, poison. But once in a while shld be fine. I cut down on chilli padi, but guess is too late cos giving birth soon ha.... even my maid stop me from eating chilli padi. Ha...you ladies also like chilli padi...now no longer taking normal red cut chilli, like eating nothing leh..no shiok

choc,
my gynae tell me to do the test at home, no medi yet.
you making claypot rice...now my rice cooker cannot make claypot rice or cabbage rice. Bought this stainless steel rice cooker and realize only can cook white and brown rice.

huskie,
oh cod liver is safe...ok will know what to do hee...

Hey ann, what kind of stainless steel rice cooker did you buy ? The last time i had confinement, the CL asked me to get the "cow head' brand stainless steel inner pot for cooking rice.
I bought it from Metro. Is yours like mine ? I have to switch off the power half an hr before serving the rice, if not, the rice sticks badly to the pot.

You are right ! Normal chilli has no kick now ! Realised that during pg, my craving for chilli lagi worse! So you cutting down on carbs now?

Also suddenly got craving for confinement food!Lots of ginger, sesame oil and wine..

choc,
I bought toyumi brand, no good leh....difficult to find stainless steel rice cooker. I think urs shld be buffalo brand, good one ! ya...rice will stick badly if off it immediately.
Hee...I'm also craving for confinement food so now waiting patiently. You can eat some but careful hor...is heaty.
Yes...I'm trying to cut down carbs but I'm still hungry if eat too little. I can't eat many small meals in a day, only 2 big meals to make me full and satisfied, haiz...now don't know what to do also.
hey...I'm craving for chilli padi or balachan badly during ths preggy too... I'm actually abit worry but still eat hehe...you try not to eat too much.
I'm also craving for durian but will not eat it as my sugar level is not stable yet.

Now I understand why my mum says she cannot eat this and that when she's not well. She used to have diabetes and there's alot of food she can't take and complaining.
Just found out there's alot of carbs food I can't take it like bee hoon, kway teow, mee sua, noodles, pasta etc etc... the only carbs food safe is unpolished rice or brown rice and whole meal bread. And absolutely no sugar, I was reading the booklet saying if wanna eat chee cheong fun cannot put the black sweet sauce and cereal make sure there's no sugar in it, aiyo...many more....But luckily I'm not that bad, just watch what I eat first, think after birth shld be fine but must control.

Choc,
Yes, I've read about blood type diets. My blood type is also O+, so supposed to take lots of meat, but woah, I won't do that lah... think I will end up with gout, high blood pressure and die earlier ;)

Heee, gender selection... ok, hubby is dreaming of 2 little princesses, so I'll have to eat more veges
happy.gif

I'm quite happy that my period is here actually, cos hopefully easier to plan and try for #2.

Haha, you tell your SIL that girls are good leh! My mum has this phrase "Boys, once married, become slaves to their wives" whereas girls are closer to mommies
happy.gif
I get upset when those traditional old folks prefer boys over girls lah... cos I am the 3rd girl, and my mum had to try again for boys under my grandma's pressure.

annlee,
Wow, your maid is very considerate, stop you from eating too much chili padi!

Hee, know what to do means you'll be spree-ing?
wink.gif

I bought a bottle of Nordic Naturals cod liver oil from Vitakids on Sunday... the no added flavour one. Soph seems ok with it, although I must mix into abit of her oats or if I give it neat, must quickly give her a spoonful of milk to wash away the oiliness. But Vitakids is selling it for S$43! I'll probably buy another 2 bottles from iherb since I am spreeing other stuff myself.

Oh, better not eat durian first, cos it's so high in sugar. My sis ate lots of choc cakes and durians during her pregnancy, and in the last tri, she also almost had GD.

HI Jolene.
Welcome! How many months preggers are you?

For chicken herbal soup during pregnancy, I normally take the chicken essence kind cos more concentrated and tasty. I use the dripping method and use either black chicken or kampung chicken depending on how much I wanna bu, then in the bowl below, I just put red dates and wolfberries.

hi huskie

thanks for reply. i'm a new mom with a 3-months old gal. i oso prefer to take the essence. i am cooking for my preggie fren who is having 1st trimester blue. so wanna do something to cheer her up.

Back