BEDOK mommies club

Hi, ssm
I use ELBA. Not sure good or not but I guess not as espensive as those European brands. It's a basic and widely used brand.

Are you renovating your house? Me also need to do some mini reno but now everything price increase, jia lat.

hi, ssm

i using ELBA too!
i find it ok and also not as expensive as mentioned by Gin. the one i bgt is the slim version.

u try a shop called Tiong xxx, along Syed Alwi Road. the shop sells taps, sinks, hob and hood and many others things. think their prices are quite reasonable.

Gin, me also looking at mini reno, want to do a built in wardrobe for my gal...sourcing for contractors.

Mummies, any good recommendations on workmanship, prices and services? thanks

cheers

My friend is recommending this renovator as he said his workmanship is good. He came to my house to give quotation. I plan to do a big full length to wall, build-in shoe cabinet. He seems quote professional, quoted $1k for the wardrobe. I'm also doing other stuff in my kitchen. But I can't comment on the workmanship as he did for my friend, not me. If interested, can give you contact. Maybe together we can get better rate?!

<font color="ff0000"><font size="+0">Hi Mummies

Can advise/ recommend which is the good childcare centre in Bedok - East?

The below are some i found, good?

1. PCF Fengshan Sparkletots Infant &amp; Child Care
2. SASCO Child Care Centre (Bedok)
3.Moral Child Development Centre (Cheehoon KOG)
4. Sunflower Childcare &amp; Development Pte Ltd
5. Aspiration Child Care Centre

Any other recommend? </font></font>

My friend's twins go to Sunflower Childcare. She says it's good but the CC is always full so must put on waiting list if you are really keen.

Hello mummies...

am also looking for a new CC for my #2. Am staying at Chai Chee. The one at Siglap didn't work as he fell off the school bus. The one within walking distant to my home is also no good as they serve cold lunch and after being there for 9mths, he's caught the HFMD for the 5th time! And till now, he's still not opening his mouth to interact in class!..

Any recommendations?

change to nanny? maybe he is too young for childcare

my dd2 fell sick quite frequently before 1. I kept her at home. Dare not send to kindergarten till she's 4. Even now she gets cough &amp; running nose every few other weeks, so sian

Jennie

my kids not in childcare so can't comment

I ever saw Fengshan CC Sparkletots children sitting idle outside the childcare. They didn't seem to do anything constructive. But that's just an impression of a passerby lor

My neighbour's boy is placed in the childcare near Bedok Interchange Blk 20X. She said not bad

hippo, i got a maid at home as she is looking after #3. Prefer if possible for him to go to school and learn some stuffs.. Maid's english is terrible, not to mention, we don't speak mandarin at home also..

Hi Hippo

Thanks for comments.. i may take a look at the bedok interchange that one...yeah...i thought of the fengshan cc sparkletots..but not sure good or not...

By the way, any idea what is the name of the childcare at the bedok interchange?

Hi Wishes,

Okay...hmm, a few good recommendations for Sunflower, but i afraid it's not convenient to my place at bedok north road
sad.gif

Hi Jennie,

I'm planning cc for my girl 22 months, drop by sunflower this wk without making appointment, lucky the lady teacher allow me have a quick look for the grd flr only. Agree with Wishes grd flr for playgroup and nursery are spacious &amp; no aircon but number of ceiling fans so dont feel hot, but playgroup currently are full. Not very sure 2nd floor, dont have change to see it.

Wishes,

When did you withdraw your girl fm Sunflower? They told me usually they will do daily routine 3 times check on each child. Planning for other cc or playgroup?

Thanks

Hi, Luvet

Ok...tks for sharing. I may also visit Sunflower too, only consider if vacancy available and location to my place.

Hi Wishes,

Thanks will let u know if confirm on sunflower, too bad their 2 hrs playgroup is full and on waiting list now. Thought of putting for 2 hrs first and may consider convert to full day. Soka at tampines safra? Your girl take school bus?

Jennie,

How old is your child? I stay at chai chee, cant find a ideal cc i got no choice have to travel a bit within bedok. Most important is the environment and the teachers of the cc, sometime cant expect 100% perfect.

Any idea of NTUC cc near bedok interchange? Aspiration CC(near bedok branch office)? These two cc are within walking distance from my house.

Thanks

jennie
can't remember name of that childcare. It's the block between HDB branch office &amp; Princess cinema

wishes
SOKA is impressive. I visited SOKA last year during its open house

Luvet,
2 hr playgroup can try TalentPlus. I know there is one in RC, Bedok CC and Siglap CC. My kid and neighbors' kids went to TalentPlus for 1 year before going to nursery in kindergarten and CC. Quite good. 10 kids in a class and they play and learn nursery rhymes, sing, dance, art &amp; craft. They only have 2 classes of playgroup (2-3 yr old) per day, so I feel it's less chance of spreading virus, compared to CC where there are more children.

hippo, i think the one between HDB and princess not very ideal.. THere are plenty of upgrading work going around that area.

NTUC for me is a NO NO! i hate their service! my #1 was hospitalized after 2 or 3 day of school. But, they only called end of the month and that was to chase for payment.

Gin, am at chai chee.. any talent plus around my area? any idea?

Hi

my girl still at east coast cc. there is one at my woid deck at bedok north road. tink someone mention b4 alry. Blk 185 is aircon and cum infant care rather big.
sorry to say i dun like the place although so convenient for me. i ever try bringing my girl into the centre trying to ask soem qns and see the teacher reaction. the teacher are all so unfriendly, i stand there for soemtime but no one step to ask wat i wan, end up i step forward to ask a few qns, she cant ans me tell me come other day to check. from then on i neevr step in

dd1's previous MMI childcare seems quite good then. Very far from Bedok so no point recommending.
There isn't a single case of HFMD. So not necessarily go childcare sure kanna HFMD. But the kids always get cough &amp; running nose. Virus still spread even though no aircon

wishes
I was tempted too but decided not to. Must take school bus. Logistic issue. I want my kids to go different session so must be nearer, can send/fetch easily

hello. am new here and have a question for spagoh. I am new here. I am gg back to work in June and my bb will be 6 mths old then. My babysitter wants to use sarong but he has always slept in the cot. if so, would he still sleep in cot at nite and during weeksends for naps? Shld I tell her not to use the sarong at all? Am so worried as she said that all bb she babysit uses the sarong.I wish to discourage here but I am afraid she will be unhappy.

Approached Orange Tree Childcare (Eastpoint, Simei) earlier this week. Spend a brief moment there, looks gd. Proper set-up, kids seems to be enjoying what they are doing.

Location wise, its quite convenient. Accessible by MRT, bus. Parking avail for those driving. Parents can do some shopping as well there since it at Eastpoint shopping centre.

Any feedbacks anyone on Orange Tree? Any other recommended (East Area)?

hi Brenda, it really depends on the baby. i was on part-time then thus he was able to switch between sarong and cot for naps. For nite, he doesn't stay overnite at in-laws place thus so far ok. By the time i went back to full time in Jan, he already accustomsed to the routine so weekend naps i find he is still ok. seem like associate the routine with the caregiver...

Just sharing, last year-dec, we went holiday without the children. i guess he slept in sarong at nite times too. i was very worried too but he was ok too.

maybe u observe during the initial stage...cos at 6 months, baby may or may not want to sleep in sarong as well! then feedback to your babysitter and try to work out a compromise method that all can benefits. otherwise, look for other alternatives cos you wont feel assured at work also.

many people told me baby who sleep in sarong have to rock baby when outside. so far, i dun encounter this for my baby.

hi Brenda

wld like to add...indeed he takes a litle longer to find his comfort position before dozing off to dreamland!

crossing my fingers hard!!!

morming mummies..

i'm newbies in tis bedok mummies thread but not so new in smh. i'm a FTWM with 8mth baby boy.

Talking abt MIL, it will nvr ending. I'm staying with my PILs. It almost 2 years and i still cant got along wit my MIL.

She super sensitive and whatever she said, she cannot take "NO" as an ans. Whatever she said is right and we have to follow.

when i'm was preggy, she volunteer to look after my child when i'm start working. and less den a wk i went back to work, she already complain so many thing. everyday when me and hubby reach home, she will start to complains abt this and dat.

On the 2nd wk, she request for maid. so we employed maid to look after the bb.

now with maid ard, she ask the maid to do all her work instead. and whenever i'm not working or at home, she dont like it when the maid handle the bb. she keep saying, "give bb to his mummy and you go do other work". heart pain.. really cannot take it.
uhoh.gif

sometime really feel like moving out from this house... but i guess no point leh, coz no matter where we go she will trail along since hubby is her first and favourite son..
sad.gif

luckily i found this smh, can let my stess out, as u all noe, certain thing we cant talk to hubby. and even we tried to talk abt their mom and tell them abt certain thing dat we r not hapy with, they wont be happy or they will just said "be patience and old people is always like dat"..ahhhh so sian ah
kao_sad.gif

Hi all! Thanks hippo2002 for linking me here.
happy.gif

I'm a Bedok mummy too. Just gave birth to a bb boy 2 mths ago.

My MIL stayed at my place to help me with confinement and it was a horrible experience. Luckily early in the relationship I already told my hb that I won't live with his mum. Though he is the youngest son, he is her favourite and he is also giving her the most money.

My MIL is not that bad to me cos I'm her favourite son's wife, so she tries to please us. But then since we come from different worlds, there were many things I couldn't stand during my confinement. I was feeling so tired &amp; painful, yet I had to face a dirty &amp; messy house. Didn't like the way she handled my bb too.

Thankfully it's over and now it's back to seeing her now and then only. Phew.

Anyway, I'm thinking of doing some exercise to lose weight. Any mummy taking any classes or what here in the east?

HI ladies welcome to the thread.. which have been quiet lately.

Lynn,
R U the one that I know? =)

Just found out that for chinese will be 1st priority MIL take care after give birth coz of carry on the family name. No wonder many complaints abt MIL/FIL..

Ladies,

My MIL bug me with stopping at this baby today again. -_-" She so claimed looking after baby very xinku, tell me to stop at this. Xinku she still fight to take care for what? That time asked me to abort, now fighting to take care. I know her real motive loh. Urgh...

After that she asked me what is the market rate for babysitting. I purposely said 500. She said 500 is for half day. I said no, full day plus overnite. Cos I know if tell her the market rate, we'll have to pay her market rate, on top of that she still on and off ask for extra money. No amount is enough. So underpay her is better.

I think I deserve the most horrible DIL award now liao...

no choice if you prefer MIL to take care, must abide her rules. Got to accept this fact lor

Alternatively, place in infant care. Maid is definitely out, heard too many horror stories.

Taking care of baby personally is of course the best option. Think about the bonding everyday. If you can forsake your income for the next few years, go for this ideal option

I told my kids I will return to work when they are in P3 &amp; P5. I will be away from workforce for 10 years by then!

June
welcome!

hubby &amp; I are taking line dancing together. We are at intermediate level now. More for fun of it, we didn't lose any weight
biggrin.gif

Hi, June and Lynn
Welcome!

It's also not good to put in infant care. Also heard that they dun take care of the baby well. My friend's baby lost weight after put in infantcare. I think they don't really feed the bb not like us we will try to give them the best food or coerce them to finish milk.

Last Dec, my kids were in childcare for 1 mth, they lost at least 2kg each. Not only the food is not nutritious, but after passing motion, the teachers din really clean them properly. And the children in childcare are v political and hostile to my kids. So poor thing... I told my friends I will never put them in full-day childcare again. If I can't find reliable helper, I will quit my job. I told that even to my boss and lucky he understands. Just hope that I won't resort to that.

kelcqi, yr MIL very weird, first time i see a MIL will ask the DIL to abort or stop. usually they'll be very happy.

y don u get a maid and leave her with bb at yr MIL's place? It will be cheaper, and you can tell her that you are not using her help for "babysitting" so no need to pay her. And u can tell her that it's even benefitting her cos yr maid can help out too.

or like hippo2002 said, just be an SAHM? hehe.

Anw, hippo2002, I agree with the horror stories about maid part... but there are good ones too. juz have to see heng suay.

i was thinking of taking up belly dancing... helps in childbirth too! hehe.

hi Gin! I was put in childcare for 3 years. Maybe not all childcare centres are that bad. I kinda liked my time there. But come to think of it... I stepped on thumb tacks a couple of times, had mould growing on my mug and lost my mattress cover. I guess when i was young, i was too positive to see all that. haha.

june,
I think partly my "fault" as my kids are pampered by me and my maid. We take care of them too well. Ha Ha. At home, they drink 3 cups of milk a day. Whereas in childcare, the teacher only allow packet milk and my kids always forgot to drink. I figure out that's the main reason for their losing weight. When I visited some childcare, my kids are comparatively taller than most, which I attribute to better diet at home.

Hippo,

MIL taking care is not my choice. Actually hubby and my first choice is my mum to take care. But my mum refused cos she said she wants to continue working. I keep wishing things to happen to stop the whole situation.

I actually got a plan in mind liao. I'm thinking of leaving the baby with my MIL over weekends before she fully take over. If she complains or anything, I'll tell my hubby she already complaining when it's 2 days care, how is she gonna handle for a whole 5 days wk?

June,

I also thought they'll be very happy to know I'm pregnant. But to my surprise, hubby told me they asked him if he can cope financially.(HUbby supporting the current house and them.) Then tell him that it's going to be tough on him, suggesting him to abort the child.

That's why my MIL keep coming to tell me to stop at this. I believe she's worried that if hubby have more kids, they cannot as and when ask money from hubby again. Ask hubby to buy them Rolex or LV bags or just change household stuff as and when they like.

Even that day we went Qing Ming, hubby was telling my FIL maybe we should "upgrade" the place for the ancestor so that it'll be nicer. FIL was thinking to do or not due to the cost, MIL straight away say "Do loh, anyway he(hubby) is paying." And said do liao better, later ancestor can help them strike 4D.

I can't believe the way they can think just about money and themselves.

I'll never ever hire a maid for my MIL. She so called housewife but rarely do any housework. Floor, hubby mop. Lunch, eat out. DInner, we had to tabao for her and she can still tell us back the food not nice. Clothes, will accumulate until no more pails to use to soak, then will wash. Her time at home is TV and sleep. Other times out for Mahjong.

I cannot imagine having a maid for her. She'll prolly torture the maid by overloading her and may even leave the baby to the maid and go for mahjong. No no no. I told hubby already. No maid for her. She wants a maid, then tell hubby to cut allowances from her every mth.

Not that I don't wanna be a SAHM, just that we just got our flat in Chai Chee, we just finished paying for our wedding stuff cos all our Ang pows from wedding went out to pay my FIL's credit card bills. So it took us a yr to clear all installments signed over the wedding period. So I agreed to work for another 5 yrs to help with the finances.

hi styliciously
glad to see u here...
proud.gif

Hi Gin
Thks for warm welcom
happy.gif

Kelcqi
ur MIL very weird like june said, this also my first time see a MIL will ask the DIL to abort or stop coz normally PILs'll be very happy coz they have continues generation mah..

Btw I think I also can receive the most horrible DIL award not only u hahaha... i always tried to do the opp whatever my MIL said... Really cannot stand her.

Sometime i really wonder whether they really want to let go their son or not.? and i feel like, they r afraid dat their son will forget them once they r married. Dat why they tried to control our life. Really cannot understand this kind of MIL.

Hi Hippo &amp; Wendy

still remember me?

It has been ages since I last posted ...

I am currently actively viewing for flats in bedok area especially bedok south area. Sad to say there are not much on offer in this area. Most are old flats with no store room and toilet in masterbed room
sad.gif

Thou of extending to Wendy's area as well i.e. Vista 8 but i think no one is selling due to not 5 yrs yet.

We are only looking at 4 rm flats as 5 rm is way beyond my budget

Finally saw one unit yesterday w storeroom n toilet in masterbed room. Flat 30 yrs old. Will need to renovate the whole place cos existing furnishing is very old.

Anyone any advice on how much cash should I offer for the unit?

Spagoh. Many thanks for the advice. But dun think I would take that nanny due to differences. My baby is aleeping well in cot and at times, can just doze off without help (he is apporoaching 4 mths). Likely may try infantcare but am half hearted as well due to high incidence of falling sick. Wonder if anyone here has sent their babies to infantcare?

winniebear

I'm not sure how much cash to offer leh. I have not been following closely the market price in this area since not selling mah

Except for a handful of clusters, majority of Bedok flats are 30 years old. Mine also 30 years old, need to renovate whole place. cost around $50K to overhaul so have to factor that into your budget

I thou 30k is enough to overhaul the whole place. Oh no need to come out w another 20k
sad.gif

My eldest who's attending nursery has been falling sick ever since Jan. I have to bring her to see doctor at least once a month. And because she's sick, she will pass the virus to my 9mth old boy. My poor children.

My heart aches each time I see them sick n have to take e never ending medication.

Both have slim down especially my boy. He's no longer chubby
sad.gif
. Plus he's also teething so he has no appetite for drink and cereal ...

Anyone any advice how to build up the immunity system in my eldest girl? I guess when she healthy, my boy will not fall sick easily

A warm welcome to all the new mommies in this forum
kao_cheers.gif

I have MIA for about 2-3 mths due to my busy work schedules

In brief i m currently staying in bukit panjang and looking for flat @ bedok.

My children, eldest gal born in Yr 2004 and youngest boy in Yr 2007 are being taken care by my parents who stay in Bedok. I will fetch them there on Sun nite and bring them home on Fri nite.

I have missed out so much of my gal growing up years hence don't want to miss out on my boy as well.

Hence we are now actively looking for flat preferably Bedok South or New Upper Changi Rd areas.

Anyone has any lobang must tell me.
happy.gif

Hello all....

Kelcqi, my MIL also doesn't my hb and me with the kids.. But like to say fong(1) liang(2) hua(4)! My #1 has asthma, and she claims at i am the cause of it because i refuse to bring him back to her kampong for her to take care. it's like "hello... i'm his mummy.. will i want him to have asthma?" Then, #2 ask her to help look after again.. she also tell me to bring back to her kampong.. If she is staying just across the causeway.. 30mins drive, i don't mind... She's staying 3hours drive away! So we had to get a maid in the end.. Talk bout her, i am so so pissed! Everytime she wants $$, she will also look for my hb, not her elder son. Somemore her favourite son is not my hb.. it's the elder brother.. haiz... damn sian to see her... BTW, me also at chai chee..
happy.gif

Hi all, have not been here for sometime too.

winniebear,
I bought my flat at Bedok North Rd in 2006, flat was 28 or 29 yrs old then, owner asked for 15K cash, we offered $5K cash and he accepted. We also tore down everything and renovate whole place cos existing furnishing and fixtures are super old. Spent about $30K for renovation, with very minimal custom-made furniture included.

Kelcqi,
Sorry to read about yr postings about yr MIL. It must have been really tough on you to have to deal with her. I saw you in May 08 thread, you are a May08 mummy? I'm May 08 mummy too, but likely bb will come out earlier in end April next week. It's my 2nd bb.

If yr MIL is already so tough to get along with now, maybe you want to consider putting yr bb with nanny or infantcare instead of her, cos when she starts looking after yr bb, more conflicts will surface and it can get very stressful.

My MIL looks after my #1, and I must say that I am very lucky that my MIL is relatively easy to get along with. Even saying so, there's still conflict between us pertaining to how to take care of my #1, and how she prioritise things. At times, it's very stressful. Thank goodness my hb is able to handle her (MIl scared of her son), so when I have difficulties, I will ask my hb to handle it and tell her.

Yr MIL doesn't strike me as the kind of granny who will take care of bb wholeheartedly. Sorry to say that, but I wouldn't feel good if I am in your shoes and have to leave bb under her care. If you let her take care and next time you want to change arrangements, it's gg to be much more difficult and more unpleasantness will come. Yr idea is good, mayb let her try out looking after bb during confinement and observe how she handles your bb before deciding.

Nanny and infant care will be your alt option if you can't afford to be SAHM. Nanny must find reliable one, preferably recommended by pple. Not sure if there's many infant care in Bedok or not, pros is bb can pick out more social skills with other bb, cons is of course bb falls sick more easily. But think once the immunity builds up, then they will be ok.

Anyway, take care of yourself, and dont' get too stressed up. Otherwise, it's easy to fall into post natal depression.

SNG's mummy

long time didn't chat. How's your new baby?

winniebear

my younger girl kept getting cough &amp; running nose since she started kindergarten this year. I'm seriously considering withdrawing her &amp; keep her at home after June school holiday

happymum123

I also bought my flat in 2006. At that time property market not hot at all, some even selling below valuation. I paid almost $10K above valuation for mine, already considered overpriced

I heard building materials price increased quite substantially. Renovation probably cost more now

By the way, how old are your kids?
are you FTWM or SAHM?

Hiee,

I am also looking for a unit (4 or 5 rm) at Bedok North...

Nowsadays, upfront cash is quite alot. Thinking whether will the property market goes down??

Hippo2002,
didn't know propery mkt in 2006 not hot, But bedok area always asking for cash above valuation, maybe cos mature estate. The units we viewed then all asked for at least $10K above. We were luckly that our flat's previous owner willing to accept our $5K cash offer.

My bro-in-law is viewing flats now, he's thinking of securing a flat before he and his gf hit the income limit of $8K but he gave up after awhile cos the price is just too high now.

Now really not a good time to buy property, with this overheated mkt and high renov costs.

I have 2 gals, like you. But they are younger. My #1 is coming to 2 years old in a month's time, and my #2 is still in my tummy, coming out next week probablly.

I am a FTWM, though my working hours are considered much shorter than normal. I'm a teacher and I teach in the morning session. So I work from 7 plus to 12 plus. Add in the school holidays, my working hours are quite short.
happy.gif

Back