Any Babies Only Drink Milk While Sleeping??

kYe&RaE,
This is what I heard from another mummy Lani Chua.

For every 1 pound of body weight, a baby should drink 2.5oz of milk. For example, a baby which is 5kg (10pounds) should be drinking about 25oz of milk per day (one 24 hr day). 1 oz = 30 ml, so that is 750ml.

missylan, is cereal considered solid food? Think it's only semi solid rite? I dunno leh, but I've only started her on cereal, that's all, take it slowly lor.(I can't give her brown rice anyway, as advised by e chinese physician). But today, I've juz changed e type of cereal to that which is meant for 6 mths old(she'll b turnin 6 mths next week ^-^).
I give it to her once a day and on some days, I'll give twice, depending on her feed tat day lor.

Was your son on S26 infant formula? My gf works at wyeth but I din wanna try as I've heard from too many ppl complaining that after taking S26, their children constipated. How's your son's stools?

K & R,
there's a guide for bb's intake and u can also take a look at e back of the milk powder tin - there's an brief indication of how much a child wld be taking at which 'age'. However, it only shows the water level, you will have to take in the measurement after adding in the milk powder. But then again, each child is different, so dun read too much into such guidelines.
It is said that a 6 mths old child shld be taking ard 220-240ml per feed, but my girl max only 190ml. Ironically, she took 180ml when she was 3mths old. Then dropped dramatically to less than 80ml... Only now, slowly increased abit but she only took whilst sleeping
uhoh.gif

CHH, may I know at which month did you start adding brown rice cereal into your son's milk feeds? I am thinking of doing that to increase his weight gain. Thanks!
happy.gif

I started adding when he was 5 months old. Prior to that, I added Heinz plain rice cereal when he was 4.5 months old. But I think should be able to start adding 1/2 teaspoon to about 100ml of milk once baby turns 4 months (they can start solids).

tiger, does your child belong to the 'heaty' type(nothing to do with drinking FM), if so, u might hv to re-consider giving your son brown rice(refer to my abv post).

oh ya tiger, as your son is coming to 4 mths old, it'll be better for u to give him Fine Cereal. If I'm not wrong, currently, only Dumex, Heinz and Gerber manufacture fine cereals that are for 4 mths old...

mum05, I dunno if he is of heaty type. How to know? May I know if NTUC or Cold storage have those brands that you mentioned?

NOTE
Some Gerber mix contains SUGAR! No wonder my son loves that. I've stopped buying the white rice+ veggies mix. Better read the ingredients before buying. I bought the Heinz white rice, kinda difficult to dissolve. So I boil it in a pan, sift the powder so that they will not clot together. Then I can get a real smooth consistency. I am try to look for organic mix.

mum05,
Started on what solids liao?

tiger, actually i also duno, till I asked the chinese physician lor, he's able to tell.
and ya u will be able to find those brands from most NTUC(esp those at newer estates area) and Cold Storage.

Missylan, not yet. I've only 're-started' her on Nestle cereal(which is meant for 6 mths old & abv) but she had constipation after that! So, now I'm stopping it for a while again. When she was taking the Fine Cereal(by Dumex)for 2 wks, her poo was ok leh...
Wah, U gotta boil the Heinz cereal ar, then might as well cook porridge n blend it ekkekke...
Think I'll start her on porridge when she reaches 7 mths old as adv by the physician lor and from there, I'll slowly add in vege n such lor.
Think I'll leave fruits for a while, scared she might not wanna take other bland tasting food after taking fruits lor. Right now, I'll continue giving her the FO.
Hey, both our kids turning 6 mths together ya!
wink.gif

mum05,
Happy 6th month! I started white rice cereal when he is 5th+. Now starting on porridge and grinding in carrot+brocooli+pumpkin. Added in lean pork to sweeten the porridge and used a slow cooker. So the porridge looks like paste. And his poo is fine. You said Nestle cereal? Is it those mix with milk and can see little particles inside 1? Think if that is the one, bb more difficult to digest.

ya!

I started her on fine cereal when she was 4mths old. then stopped after 2 wks as she doesnt take to spoon feeding then and prefers to drink from bottle so I tot pointless to give cereal.
Now ya, she's on that Nestle cereal, it doesnt hv little particles leh, though before mixing, it looks 'coarser' than the fine cereal and yes, u gotta add in milk. The texture after mixing is abt the same as the fine cereal.
Wah u've started alot of stuffs liao hor. Did u use a blender to blend the porridge? It will be alot finer. Oh ya, dun give too much carrot, becos of the carotene yeah.
I think I'll only start porridge when she's 7mths as advised by expert lor. cos me very afraid that she'll grow up to hv bad gastro system like me. plus she's got sensitive nose n skin, so i hv to be very careful wif her food intake and timing.

mum05,
I used slow cooker to cook the lean meat and rice first then before his meal(1 hour), I will blend in the grinded veggies so cannot see the whole rice anymore.

oh okok, slow cooker save time hor? how long u cook in the slow cooker? Maybe I shld go get one small one, cos the one I hv now is the big one lor

btw, hv u added in spinach already? I think I'll start off wif spinach and/or carrot first. How to cook the spinach ar, juz boil rite then blend into the porridge or cook together then blend them wif the blender?

So, when u give porridge u dun give cereal anymore rite?

hi mum05, still the same...my boy is still drinking milk while sleeping. Now he drinks more liao. The nanny can manage to feed him 180-200ml for every 4-5hr interval during daytime. But when he goes home in the evening, he sometimes drink 120-150ml. Think he bullys mommy.
sad.gif

Very rarely, he will drink milk while awake and will only take the max 90ml.
What abt your bb?

Hi Mummies,

Came across this thread, and found my experience similar. My baby, now 1 year old, also rejects the milk since he was 2.5 months old. Even till now, he seldoms drink milk in the day, altho I still give him night feeds @ 12am and 5 am. I read from one of the magazines that these babies are called "twilight feeders". Ahh.. I was thinking...at last I'm not alone with this problem.

My husband and I also visited PDs, GPs but nobody can give us a solution. We also tried cold turkey, but he still doesn't drink after 12 hours! My PD then recommended us to start him on solids earlier. So we started him @ 4 months. However,in order to maintain his calcium intake, we included milk in the cereal (any type, brown rice, rice with ikan bilis etc).

His growth was ok, he was at the 90 percentile at 6 months. Now at 75 percentile. So mommies, dun worry as long as baby is growing.

When he was younger, we used to give him brown rice for 2 out of the 3 meals each day or mix with white rice cereal. But we stopped after he came down with very bad cough which lasted for 1 month when he was 10 months old. Now only gave him once every 2-3 days. We brought him to the Chinese Physician who said that the brown rice is heaty, which is causing the heaty phlegmy type of cough. I kinda of believe him, cause I know my boy is the "heaty-based" baby, when he has fever, he has very high fever type.

Aurora, if u read my post abv abt what a renowned Ch physician has advised, u may wanna avoid giving brown rice to your child if he's the 'heaty' type.

tigger, isit cos your nanny has dragged his feed time thus he will drink more? My girl was alot worser u know, she didn't even drink much even after an interval of 5-6 hours then!
So, hv u started yr child on the fine cereal yet?

mum05, my son's feeding interval is 4-5hrs now. I juz bot the Heinz fine cereal for him to try over the weekend. He likes it!
happy.gif

Aurora,
Does your boy likes solids? The problem with my boy is that he does not really like solids and will only take a few baby spoons at most. We have to entertain him and shove in the rest of the cereal when he opens his mouth to talk or laugh. He will only eat willingly 1 out of 5 times... And we hve been feeding him solids for 4 months already! Any tips on how to give solids?

mum05,
How much your girl drinking now? Sometimes, my boy also dun drink much. Esp the morning feed, he drinks avg 60-80ml after 6 hours (last feed of 80ml). He only drinks more in his 2 afternoon feeds of 180ml every 4-5 hours. The rest of the time also 100-140ml... I read from baby book that as long as they drink 16-24oz of milk a day, and taking some solids, then it's fine....

CHH, on good times, she'll take abt 180ml liao and that's with her stopping for a while every now and then. Otherwise, she'll only take abt 100-120ml...by right she should be taking 240ml now
sad.gif

She also doesn't take to taking 'solids' leh. I've been trying to give her porridge since she constipates from eating cereal, but she'll reject it the next day lor. The worse was when I blend in the spinach, she totally rejected it after e 1st bb spoon! Then I gotta wait for a few days later, then I try e carrot which she also rejected the next day(she took it well the 1st day I gave it to her). Aiyoh, when she rejects e food ar, super irritating man, she'll cry and cry and cry like I'm giving her poison like that, and then when I make her milk, she'll throw tanthrums by refusing to finish her milk - juz take abt 20-30ml and she'll push out the nipple fiercely! and when I try to feed her again, she'll use her tongue to 'prevent' the nipple from goin into her mouth
angry.gif
A very naughty girl, I must start to control her liao.

Will be bringing her for her 6th mth jab, must rem to ask the PD if I can add in flavourings like "mamite" or soy sauce(juz a bit, but better to check wif PD lor).

CHH, on good times, she'll take abt 180ml liao and that's with her stopping for a while every now and then. Otherwise, she'll only take abt 100-120ml...by right she should be taking 240ml now
sad.gif

She also doesn't take to taking 'solids' leh. I've been trying to give her porridge since she constipates from eating cereal, but she'll reject it the next day lor. The worse was when I blend in the spinach, she totally rejected it after e 1st bb spoon! Then I gotta wait for a few days later, then I try e carrot which she also rejected the next day(she took it well the 1st day I gave it to her). Aiyoh, when she rejects e food ar, super irritating man, she'll cry and cry and cry like I'm giving her poison like that, and then when I make her milk, she'll throw tanthrums by refusing to finish her milk - juz take abt 20-30ml and she'll push out the nipple fiercely! and when I try to feed her again, she'll use her tongue to 'prevent' the nipple from goin into her mouth
angry.gif
A very naughty girl, I must start to control her liao.

Will be bringing her for her 6th mth jab, must rem to ask the PD if I can add in flavourings like "mamite" or soy sauce(juz a bit, but better to check wif PD lor 'cos she's still young).

Hi CHH,

Initially, my boy will use his tongue to push out the spoon cos he is not used to it. But after a few feeds, he kinda like them.

What do you feed him ? Cereal or porridge ? We started with the heinz white rice, them move on to nestle brown rice, ikan bilis, honey cereal. My boy likes the nestle ones cos very fragrant. He always like cereal more than porridge until recently, when I added in more stuff into the porridge. I add carrots, pork, dried scallop.

Babies won't sit still to let you feed lar...sure need to entertain them. As your boy becomes more mobile it will be even worse, you'll need to chase him around the house...Alternatively, put him together at the dining table on the high chair with the rest of the family and feed him so everyone can entertain him...
happy.gif

Hi mum05,

can update us whether can add marmite ? I actually wanted to do that long time ago, but found that yeast extract is one of the ingredients, dunno can give baby or not...

aurora, how old is your child? U're already giving your son scallop n he's ok, then I'm sure mamite might b ok for him as under the list of Food Allergy, prawns/crab/dried & fresh scallops are on the "Highly Allergenic" category and should only be introduced from 12 months.

Ok ok, for e info of mummies here(in case if any of u interested), I've listed below the various food allergies :

1) Foods which are least likely to cause allergic reactions(To be introduced from 6 months):
Rice, Carrot, Pear, Apple & Prune

2) Foods which are usually well tolerated, but occasionally cause allergic reactions(To be introduced from 6 months):
Barley, Oat, Wheat, Beef, Lamb, Chicken, Brocolli, Cabbage, Potato, Spinach, Corn(and corn oil), Banana & Turnip.

3) Foods which are most likely to cause allergic reactions(To be introduced from 9 months):
Egg Yolk(must be fully cooked), Legumes(soyabeans, beans) & *Fish.
*The PD whom has passed me this listing told me that somehow we asians can tolerate fish better and thus we can place FISH under the 2nd category.*

4) Foods which are highly allergic(To be introduced from 12 months):
Seafood (e.g. prawns, crabs, dried and fresh scallops), Egg white & Peanuts.

In anycase, I've jotted down the question abt e mamite thingy n hopefully I rem to get to that hahahah and if I've got any feedback, I'll surely let u guys know!
happy.gif

mum05,
Your baby is drinking awake already ah? Mine still only drink when sleeping. Never drank a single sip from the bottle when awake ever since 4 months old. Hai.... quite terrible. Now can only cross fingers n hope that he will start drinking from a cup when he is older lor. Seems like he is not too keen on that too though...

Porridge:
My boy likes plain porridge water. Funny hor? No taste one. If we add some fish, he totally rejects. Think he hates fish, like his mummy. So now I try new formulation - 1/4 egg yolk, carrots, corn and pork. He still will take a few baby spoons.

Bread:
Discovered that my boy likes bread and cakes. Will eat quite a few mouths. Thinking of dipping the bread in milk with a little bit of milo to feed him for tea time. My PD says milo ok for 6 months and above. Of course not too much lah.

aurora, thanks!

Ladies, I read from somewhere that we can feed raw fruits to babies from 8 mths onwards (only babanas and avocado do not need to be cook at all).
My son is 4 months old, I want to try feeding him apples. Do I need to cook it then? I thot we can just scrap and feed apple without cooking?

Hi mum05,

my boy is 1 year old oredi..hmmm but I put in the scallop as a flavouring since he was 8 mths old leh... I still dare not let him try egg white, peanuts, prawns and crabs...

Thanks for the list ! though my boy is 1 yo, but still useful !

Hi tigger,

I fed my boy apples when he was abt 6 months...no need to cook, go and buy a grinder to grind...

Hi CHH,
my boy also likes bread and cakes...but sometimes I feel that the cakes are a little too sweet leh...so only gave him a little, or use them to entice him to eat his proper meal when he is naughty...
happy.gif

My boy also like rusk biscuits dipped into milk..

Hee...last night my boy drank 210ml before he goes to bed...Heeheee...very happy...
happy.gif
A small milestone...
happy.gif

mummies whose bbies dun eat solids well,
Maybe u wanna try Frisocreme( rice based one) cos it smells really nice. My son likes it alot as compared to other cereals. He has tried a few so far, Healthy times barley cereal, Earth Best's oats cereal, multi grain cereal, brown rice cereal, Friso creme - rice as well as wheat, heinz rice cereal. Now he's more into porridge.

mum05,
My son's nanny used to put marmite, which was against my wishes but haiz...she's the caregiver so i jus close 1 eye. However, dat was only for teh initial stage, when my son 1st started porridge...now no nid to put marmite anymore cos the porridge oredi got many nice ingredients. U may wan to try putting pumpkin cos it makes the porridge sweet.

aurora,
The best is to avoid adding seasoning...i tink marmite is salty. Try to use natural ingredients. As i mentioned to mum05, maybe u try pumpkin. Or u can prepare stock (which i nvr did). Wat i did was to dump in a pc of pork (bigger pc) for flavouring. Usu my porridge consist of carrot, potato, fish, tomato n pork for flavouring. Sometimes, i add tofu or pumpkin.

tigger,
All along, i've nvr steamed fruits which my son takes. I've been giving him apples/pears/papayas raw.

Hi all mummies, glad that e info is useful.

CHH, aiya, when she's awake ar, she won't drink as much also... haiz.
But good ar, he likes plain porridge hahaha so guai.

Tigger, I've heard from my sis (same lah, the old way), tat we can scrap the apples wif a spoon, but then if u wanna play safe n dun want the fruit acid to get to your child's intestinal system(even though apples and pears' are pretty mild), then u might wanna stew it first.
For me I'll want to be very careful as my mum didnt know much abt such things(olden days are like that lor) and she also gave me watever I want to eat when I was young and thus, I have very weak gastrinal system.

aurora and skyblue, ya I'm trying to avoid seasonings as much as possible lor. My sis' neighbour who's an very experienced baby sitter, she has told my sis that for 6mths bb, it's better to give juz spinach and carrots and potatoes.
But aurora, luckily yr son ok wif the scallop hor! Cos my friend's child got severe rashes breakout when they cooked it wif his porridge after he's turned 1 yr old.

Hi mum05,

yar..lucky hor...now I better be more careful.

dunno why my son din want to eat porridge last weekend...*sigh* another of his phase...sian
*sigh* maybe gotta change between cereal and porridge...

skyblue, thanks!

mum05, stew the fruits ah? hmm...can i juz steam it? I bought a grinder last fri, thinking of juz grind the apples.

aurora, we very cham hor, why other kids so easy ar, juz ate up what their mummies gave them :p

Oh ya, I've asked the PD and she said that it's ok to add seasoning like soy sauce or mamite to their porridge, however, we must not add in too much, as it's only to give a little more flavouring to encourage them to eat. As for e "yeast" ingredient, she said that "quite a number of food also got yeast ar, like bread..." so it's ok lah, the key to all kinds of food(even if yr child is ok with it)is moderation, same like adults lor I guess :p
Aurora, yr kid very big sized hor, 90 percentile at 6 mths! Mine ar, only 50-75 percentile. And he's very good ar, scallops and ikan billis also no prob! Some ppl's skin will itch after taking Ikan billis...
The PD also told me that babies will usually start to lose their bb fat from 6 mths onwards, and i was like huh, mine already lost hers when her 'dun wanna drink' prob starts ard her 3rd mth! still gg to lose, jialat liao man ahahhahahh

tigger, the 'stewing' thingy is actually what I've gathered from the Nestle bb cereal tips brouchure. I've checked with e PD and she suggested steaming!(which I find better also
happy.gif
) so what u've juz asked is "PERFECT" ahahhahhah. She said that alot of bbs here, choked on apples(whereas the angmos', choke on peanuts...) because we like to scrap the apples and there're little pcs of apple which we might unknowingly feed to our kids lor.
U bought grinder? Did u also get the Blender? Cos u'll need blender to blend the veges, fish, meat to e porridge when yr child is 6 mths & abv.

mum05,
yes, i have blender at home. A Philip brand one. So far only used once to blend stawberries. Shd
be ok to use for blending bb's food rite? BTW, how long do we need to steam the fruit? Will it taste weird
after steaming? Or can I juz grind the apple instead of steaming/scrapping it??

Anyway, I dun intend to introduce fruit to my son so early. Let him get used to plain cereal first and then slowing
introduce sweeter food to him.

ya tigger, i also dun intend to introduce fruits to my girl till she's on fish n meat porridge at her 7 mths age onwards. I'm not sure abt grinding, u can try if u like, juz make sure it's soft wif no 'pcs' in it lor.
u gave strawberries liao ar! I was 'shocked' when I read yr post n then I scolled up n realised tat my list (for 9 mths old) wasn't complete! Cos there were 2 sections listing the food so I hv only copied those on the other side which dunno why some of e items were not stated...
Sorry, all mums, here's an update on it:

Foods which are most likely to cause allergic reactions(To be introduced from 9 months):
Strawberry, Raspberry, Eggyolk(must be fully cooked), Legumes(soyabeans, beans) & *Fish.
*The PD whom has passed me this listing told me that somehow we asians can tolerate fish better and thus we can place FISH under the 2nd category.*

Hi mum05,

yar lor, we very cham leh. My colleague's son (now 1 yr +) drinks 6 oz every 2 hours ! Her son now can wear 3 yo giordano junior's clothes...How I wish my son is like him.

Strawberries has the small seeds...will the babies have difficulty swallowing ?

aurora, the list actually depicts the risk category of "FOOD ALLERGY", din say anything abt e seed kekekkekeke
dun worry lah, why would u want yr child to be 'over-sized' leh? - a 1 yr old wearing a 3 yr old clothes = oversized rite?
lame.gif
). Each child is 'made up' of different genes, thus different sizes, that's how the world make up of so many different types of people rite? As long as our children are healthy and most importantly, grow up with good moral values ok liao
happy.gif

hey, tigger, no need to thank me lah, it's juz sharing info mah
happy.gif
I know that in our generation, our parents juz gave us anything/everything with the thinking that 'dirty eat, dirty grow'(direct translation from hokkien dialect), but it is our generation that we see alot of ppl hving weak intestinal system, so it's best that we take care of our children's food intake lor. There's this chinese saying "Huo Chong Kou Lu"(han yu ping ying).
wah, u blend strawberries with wat? share recipe leh ahahaha

mum05, my fren taught me to blend strawberries, yoghurt and orange juice to get something like a strawberries yoghurt drink. Taste quite good. But I forgotten the exact recipe liao since it was done quite some time ago.

I only make it once and then kept the blender in the cabinet and cold storage it liao.
happy.gif

oh tigger, then u better give the blender another try to see if it's working. Electronic prdts are ar, if u keep them aside and dun use them for a period of time, after u've started using them(even only once), they won't work liao... but if it's only for a short period, then shld be ok.

oh ya, one more thing, I've also asked the PD when should we stop sterilising our bbs' milk bottles n such, and she said that usually when they reached 6mths, we can stop doing it liao. Alamak, I din know!

mum05, ya you're right. Electronic pdts are like that one. I have one Tefal oven used only once and cold storage. When I wanted to use it for the 2nd time, cannot liao. So wasted. The oven is $200+ leh. sigh!

Oh, so we can stop sterilising at 6th months ah. hmm...what abt burping bb? Can we stop doing so once they can sit on their own or??

oh, burping ar, that I dunno leh! ey ya hor... aiya, din know earlier, if not I can ask e PD also...
sad.gif

Aiyo, my boy now having problems drinking even when sleeping. Will wake up halfway through and scream, then refuse to go bck to sleep. So bo bian, got to cup feed him while entertaining. Very messy and lots of spillage, but a least get some more milk in lor. Then also refuse to eat cereals. Even porridge also eat like 1/4 bowl then dun want already. Only thing he will open mouth willingly is bread, sponge cake and porridge water.... Hai...

Burping: Anyone still burping their baby halfway through the milk feed? I dun, but towards the end of the feed, my baby drink until very 'xin ku'. Have to stop and rest for quite a few times. I am wondering if it's because too much gas...

Hi Chihuahua, maybe you can do a bit of massaging for your baby. My mum heard from her friends that massaging the baby's back will increase the milk intake. She then massage for my girl and not sure if is coincident, my girl intake for the past few days has increased.
But sometimes she still merlioned out half.

CG, I massaged my girl almost everyday after I brought her to e class when she was 5mths old. I cant say if it helps in 'making' her drink more but I must say that she does slp better after the massages.

Back