Any Babies Only Drink Milk While Sleeping??

cutebao, dunno leh, but she used to drink 180ml each feed... it's juz that she started to reject when she pukes(think due to phlegm), but will still finish up.

But she rejected very fiercely, after we came back from the neighbour's 2nd child full mth celebration lor. So, it's like duno which is which liao, haiz.
Now, I dun wanna bother abt the cause liao, only hope n want her to take more milk.
Cereal, after 2nd feed, she also dun really like, esp when being spoonfed, maybe too slow for her. So I'l transfer e balance to bottle. Today, make it abit more diluted so she can suck from bottle better lor.

mum05,
Though my 4mth son can start cereal but I am not going to start this early. Firstly, I think cereal is meant for babies who get hubgry easily. Imagine now my son after ard 10hrs+ then ask for milk(skip breakfast liao), how can I introduce cereal? Secondly, I read many articles that babies from bith till 6mth, all they need is breastmilk or formula milk. I will start only in his 6th mth, see how he goes. Now my son's last meal(supper time), he will be sleeping and he will drink 180ml. Only this meal he will drink that much.

My son is fine with Avent teat, so far he is quite bochap about new or old teat.

Maybe we should just think that babies during the 3rd-4th, they don't like to drink milk. I am glad to say that now my son is fine, no more drinking problem. He got so frustrated when he is not hungry but for us, time is up(5hrs liao should drink liao). Maybe I do not force him milk that time, so he is still enjoying milk.

yvonne,
My son last fed might be 11pm and he will sleep and wakes up ard 8am+. He will not want to drink only will drink when it's after 10hrs+.

My baby son used to puke like what you all described, like MERLION too. Once he puke inside the hammock, scared the shit outta me. Was so scared when he is about to burp too, cos I got phobia liao.

hi missylan,

I think we all know milk is the best for bb, but if bb dun drink , give cereal is better than nothing.
at least yr bb drink 180ml for last meal, mine dun.

cutebao & tamarind,
May i know the brand of the multi-vitamin u were given?

My DD weight was at 90th percentile at birth but slowly drop to below 50th percentile at 5mth becos she started to refuse her milk at 3rd mth. Like some mummies here, i've resort to feeding her while she's sleeping. At 4mth her PD said DD is trying to tell me she wanted solid, so i started her on solid at 5mth even though i'm unwilling to start her on solid before she double her birth weight given the same reasons as stated above by missylan.

Read that 'Si sen brown rice' suppose to be 'kai wei' so i gave DD that, but not true leh. She loves tasteless solid like brown rice & avocado. However, she refuses to open her mounth after first taste of sweet fruits like banana & papaya, which makes me wonder cld it be that DD doesn't like her milk cos it is sweet? So now I'm thinking of changing her milk.

All along i tell myself not to worry cos DD has been healthy, active & gaining weight (even though little). She failed on the diaper test though -- DD only change diaper twice a day, not becos diaper's full but becos i change it after every bath/body wipe.

Now i'm worried cos her milk intake drop after starting solid. Her daily milk intake now at 6mth is only 450-550ml leh
sad.gif
. I've read that solid should supplement not replace milk cos milk has all the necessary vitamins & minerals needed for baby growth. I add spinach & tofu to her brown rice trying to make it more nutritious. 4days ago i started adding silver fish powder to DD brown rice, but she had a slight fever yest, refuse her brown rice & totally refuse to drink milk unless she's asleep. So suspect she has sore throat, brought her to PD this morn and PD said her throat very red(sore), apart from runny nose. Is fish powder heaty?? PD wanted to prescribe antibiotics but i ask him not to. Do mummies here give antibiotics to your darling(s) when they are sick? Do they heal faster after taking antibiotics? PD ask me to go back if DD not feeling better after 5 days. I don't want my darling to suffer for 5days, perhaps shld have taken the antibiotics. Can I give barley water to 6mth old baby?

Sorry mummies, 1st time post yet so many questions.

missylan, I've been told that it's ok to start on cereal from 4 mths onwards. Plus I bought those meant for 4 mths olds and they're fortified wif the same vitamins n goodies as milk(i read from the packaging), thus it's ok to give it to them now.
In anycase, we'll only be supplementing wif the cereal n their other feed time is still milk lor.

Hi mum05,
Can I say to give them cereal is to add in more goodies? Can I add in supplement(iron and vitamin bought fr ped) to replace cereal?

Kutu,

The brand is Kiddi Pharmaton syrup.
If yr gal started to eat solid food, u must make sure she drink more water. If not she will be dehydrated.
For the antibiotics, it really depends on yr gal's condition. If you have doubt on wat the PD say, u can bring her to another PD.
So far, my son was not given antibiotics for sore throat or runny nose, fever and cough. PD say unless fever more than 4 days then he will give.

My son dun like sweet things too he usually eat tasteless cereal.

Dear ladies,

Jus wana share this... years ago, adults like us hv been taking cereal upon reaching 4 mths old.. My elder kid has also been taking cereal when he reached 4 mths old 7 yrs ago upon PD advise. Till nw, he is perfectly alrite. We, our parents & grandparents are also perfectly fine too?!? Its only recent years that the Americans believe in exclusive bfg(infact it was more on bfg) or formula milk for the first 6 mths & that was why PDs & parents in S'pore started to heed their advices.

My bb's PD has advised me to gv bb cereal if bb has been waking up more often at nite compared previously, excessive drooling & if they seem nt very interested in their milk.. I believe that's no harm in feeding them if they hv already reaches their 4 or 5 mth definitely nt earlier than the 4 mth. One thing we got to bear in mind is that every babies progress/mature differently/faster.. 6 mths into cereal thingy is jus a guideline.

This is jus a sharing, no offence pse.
happy.gif

Barley water: It should be ok to give cause I ask my PD before. But of course not too much and without sugar.

Multi Vitamins: Also giving my son multivits from pharmacy. Heard from GP that no harm giving and sometimes may increase appetite. But drink more water cause will be heaty.

Cereal: My PD also recommended me to start cereal when he turned 5 months old. But maybe just start 1 small meal a day. Anyway, my baby hates solids, so I want also cannot feed....
sad.gif

Milk intake: I also monitor the milk intake like a hawk. Even have a record book that. Nowadays he will drink about 620-680ml everyday. Add in 1 teaspoon of cereal in 3 of his feeds too.

missylan, I'm not sure if the phrase is correct - to give cereal is add in goodies. Don't think so lor 'cos glancing at the ingredients list briefly, they're more or less same like the goodies in f/milk, maybe juz abit diff here n there - I didnt really go into much details since I saw that there're already alot similar goodies in it liao. Anyway, I've asked the PD y/day when I brought her for her 2nd dose of 5-in-1 jabs and the PD said it's perfectly alright to give her cereal at 4mths(cos I told her I bought those meant for 4 mths old).
Those cereals by Nestle, etc where are meant for 6 mths old & abv maybe too 'thick' and if your bb hasn't tried the more diluted form, then he/she may not be able to handle it lor. I know that we can still dilute the cereal formulas which r for 6 mths before giving them but Personally, I feel that it's good to start bbs gradually lor. That was why when I saw the ones for 4 mths, I quickly bought it lor ehhehehe
Anyway, she doesnt like it much after a few feeds(I give her once a day only).

Hi Chihuahua, the supplement that I give my bbs is called Nutricomp Caloric. I add half a scoop to 100 ml of milk (and force my bb to finish)

Mum05, what brand of cereal do you use that is for 4 months? I didn't realise there's a difference between those for 4 mths and 6 mths!

I also watch my bbs' milk intake like a hawk. Maybe it'd be easier to just ignore how much they take and see how. But my bb underweight lei...so dare not. Sigh big time.

hahaha ya I also din know till I saw them in the supermarket! Only 2 brands though - Dumex and Heinz(if i rem e 2nd brand correctly).

Cos my sis told me to give my girl cereal since she's turned 4 mths liao and is not taking much milk, so I went to NTUC to take a look. I was wondering if it's ok to give her the cereal(as the indication on Nestle cans wrote that they're meant for 6mths & abv) when I saw the ones by Dumex lor.
They come in refill packs(Dumex) n paper box(Heinz) - not e usual tin form - they also hv cereals for 6mths & abv in same packaging, but with flavours. Only rice cereals are available for 4 mth olds.

After mixing the cereal as per the instructions, I find that the cereal is more watery, so I guess there's a difference lor, cos I rem in the past, those cereals my nieces took weren't this watery and taste sweeter.

Hi mummies,

How are your little ones now? My boy's drinking has been fluctuating. Sometimes can drink 120ml at one go, and I am sooo happy. But sometimes can only take 80ml... And this morning puke big time too. So sad...

Anyway, how many of you burp your babies halfway through feeding? Mine cannot burp leh... once burp, he will wake up and refuse to drink again...

chh, same lor, happy then take up to 140ml, if not, 30-80ml now I dun wanna make her drink more liao. This morning, carried her up(she was sleeping) to feed her at 12:30am(her last feed at 10pm was only 60ml) and she was still sucking after she finished abt 138ml(120ml of water + milk powder lor). So I tot at 8am juz now, she wld finish also but after 80ml, she pushed the bottle away, then after she burped a little, I put her on the bouncer to rest - tot to continue after a while. But after 1/2 an hour later, she screamed big time when I put the teat into her mouth. N when I mentioned the words "milk milk" she screamed n screamed, so I stop lor. Aiyoh, cant imagine how a 4 mth old can scream like tat.
Nowadays, I juz let her take however much she wants lor, cos dun wanna traumatise her by 'forcing' lor.

Yesterday she vomitted again too. Fed her at 12am+ then she woke up n din wanna slp and kept on making noise, till 2am, I picked her up, thinking to feed her water but she threw up! Lookds sticky... wonder if it's like that or was it becos of her phlegm. She's got sensitive nose like me, n once she starts sneezing, the next few hours, she will have alot of mucous in her nose(as per PD, the muscous is created to 'protect' foreign objects from entering-natural body reaction & that's how we adults get runny nose too) but I think maybe cos their disgestive system cant 'digest' the phlegm thus they accumulate n will cause them to vomit.

Btw, anyone knows where and how to get an infant weighing scale? Cos e PD told me to watch her wgt due to this feeding problem n it's soooooo hard to weigh her wif e normal weighing machine - not very accurate also(i tried before and the wgt I got is diff from wat the clinic's) cos I hv to use our weight in total n minus off mine to get hers...

Anyway, there's this 2 website where I found some info which might be useful to some mothers here:

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/baby/babyfeeding/113.html

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/baby/babycare/babysoothing/9790.html

hey chihuahua, just a couple of days after typing out my sis's experience, my son has started to reject milk. like yours, he only wants to suckle in his sleep. then i tot at least he wants to suckle my breasts, not so bad... then a few days ago, he started to reject my breasts..... sigh... now he is only drinking abt 650ml per day. he is almost 16 weeks already.

today, after i managed to feed abt 90ml in his sleep, he got choked and threw up all the milk.. sigh.... very gek sim ah....

Hi all, When I brought my girl for her 2nd dose of the 5-in-1 jabs e previous sat, I've discucssed with e PD on my bb's feed intake. She has also advised that usually most babies will go thru this 'growth spurt' period where they'll take in more than usual for a while and after that, they'll 'resume' to the 'normal' quantity but to us, it'll seem like they're not taking enough - if we compare the quantity to that amount.
I told her my girl sometimes will scream big time when I put the teat into her mouth & very often, I'll hv to walk about the house Slowly to distract her, then will she drink abit more and the PD even asked "hv u got milk wif u now?" - she actually wanted me to feed infront of her so that she can try to find out why hahhahha, very thoughtful I find. But too bad, it wasn't her feeding time yet.

However, a few wks ago, I've tried to 'back off' whenever she starts to 'reject' milk and I found a little improvement, so mummies, maybe u'll like to try e same cos maybe like some ladies hv mentioned here, they cld be 'traumatised' by e forcing.

I've also brought her to the Chinese Physician last sat for her phlegm since e western medication cldn't help very much and he told me that she's caught a cold! Geez, I din even realise! cos We tot the nose muscous is due to the sensitivity. No wonder I find her nose muscous more watery this time haiz.... He said "Cannot let her slp in air-con room" and I kept insisting No leh... Then he said "Ya lah, I know, U must hv switched on the fan rite. The weather is so hot these days, I know alot of ppl will do that but yr girl has caught a cold now".
We didn't let the fan face her directly leh n it was in moving/turning motion... haiz, very cham lor, dun on, she'll perspire like wat, on, kana cold. Dunno wat to do. Worse thing is that she's got my nose sensitivity n she's so young so when kana such problem very cham lor.
Now feed her the chinese medicine is BIG PROJECT man ahahha, very sim tia but no choice cos it's good for her. Juz that she's abit scared liao during feed time and didn't take as much again ahahhaha, come back to sq one again... but think it's like that lor, when they're not feeling well... So I also dun wanna force her, juz see if she'll take abit more her next feed.
Very jialat man being a parent of today's kids...

hi mum05,
"Growth spurt" that is what my son's PD said but she name it as the "3rd mth symdrone". Kekeke... I read from a forum here that there is a phlegm remover "Mucosol Elixir" which good, you might like to ask yr PD.
To me, I think cereal is for babies who gets hungry easily or like yours don't like milk liao.

no lah missylan, for hungry babies, there's instruction for higher quantity feed. Children need different 'food/nutrients' at different stage and cereal is juz one of the 'growing' foods for babies. In the past, if I'm not wrong, there's only cereal for 6 mths old and wat most people did was, to dilute the formulae to feed their 4 mths. But now we're lucky, we have formulaes for 4 mths old ready for us to use.
Anyway, we'll only give the cereal once to our bb till he/she's 5mths+ to 6 mths old and u'll still need to feed yr bb milk for the rest of the day's feeds, so dun think it's 'suitable' to say that cereal is only meant for hungry babies or babies who dun take milk well lor.
It's ok if u dun feel like giving it to your child when he/she reaches 4 mths old, yr preference. I however prefer to introduce gradually.
Western medication, I've been given a couple medication to try already but once stopped, it returned, so, give up on western medication liao. Chinese medicinal herbs are gentler so I think will be better for babies lor, dare not give too much western medication to my girl leh.

mum05,
Oh, thanx for the explaination... I will start his solids when he reaches 5th mth cos wanna his intestines to grow stronger first so that he can digest better. I bought another book from Annabel Karmel "Feeding your baby and Toddler". Got more recipes this time... Beside cereal(rice), can I start on fruits/veggies' puree? Thank you...

^-^ missylan.

Hmmm, I've heard that it's advisable to start them on fruits too early cos it's sweet and they might like other 'not so good tasting' food like vegetables very soon. Not sure abt puree, will try to find out n let u know
happy.gif
but think maybe shld start after 6 mths...

i'm not sure as my bb is only 4 mths old hahaha, I learn step by step lah ahhahah
But i was told that we can start on 'thicker' cereal(the old type) when they reached 6 mths and slowly proceed to porridge - that's when u'll add vege, pork etc etc...

oh ya, juz reading from the Dumex Instant Milk Cereal pkging, it says : new advanced formula, fortified wif DHA and 34 nutrients + it's Finer Cereal, thus meant for 4 mths olds. The Rice cereal is for 4mths olds and they also have mixed/banana flavour which are for 6 mths & abv.

Hi

I had the same problem too. My bb will only suck while half asleep. We tried to change the milk powder but doesnt help.

However, my mum suggest to change our avent milk bottle to the normal ones. It really helps though sometimes he can only suck 2-3oze n balance 2-3oze while we rock him to sleep.

I guess the avent teats is too hard and short thus he feels frustrated to suck. He thus will be more comfortable when sucking asleep.

Hi all,

Argh, my other twin is acting up now and also needs to feed when half asleep. Can you imagine how frustrating it is for me for both twins to be like that! Can die!

What's worse is that they transit from half asleep to deeply asleep quite quickly, ie they sleep with mouths open and don't suck at all!! Am praying that this period will pass quickly, otherwise I will go MAD!

Hi cracker,
I have the same problem with avent teats. My baby took it well for a while, then I think he finds it too hard and refuses to suck... I change to Nuk teat and he was doing really well for a period of time. I think you should try Nuk too.

Melissa,
Poor thing... I can understand how you feel. My boy also like that. Esp at night, he just open mouth big big and stop sucking no matter what you do.... And now, he wakes up very easily after rocking him to sleep. So we got to be super careful when we pick him up or put him down in feeding position.... very tiring.... and sometimes he jerks awake when putting him in feeding position, so the whole process of rocking him, positioning him starts again.... it takes up to 1.5hours at night....

But at least he is better in the sense that he drinks about 120-150ml in the day, so interval longer... Why dun you try dragging the feeding times too? That time I 'harden my heart' and feed him after 5 hours (last feed only 100ml) and he drinks quite fast and finish 140ml, but of course still asleep lah...

By the way, do you guys count the milk intake as the amount after mixing in formula, or just the amount of water used? ie. 120ml water + powder = 135ml formula... so count 120ml or 135ml???

chihuahua, I know how it is man, cos I've been doing e same thing as u ahhahahhah. Very jialat hor.

oh, I used to count only the water level, but later realised it's actually wrong, it should be after adding in the milk powder. Cos if u let them drink the ready to drink milk(in glass bottles) given by e hospital, those are already mixed rite?
The water level is only a gauge for us to measure how much milk powder to put in.
I remember asking the PD how we shld calculate e balance of milk my bb didn't finish(so as to see how much she's taken)- cos if by water level, then it wont be accurate rite? She said ya, take the latter.

Hi all Mums!

Got question to ask. My bbs are going to be weaned soon (keeping fingers crossed that they will take solids better than milk). I heard from others that you are supposed to mix cereal with milk first and give it in a bottle to get them used to it before you start spoon-feeding them.

But is it safe to feed cereal when they are asleep? Otherwise there's no way my bbs will drink the cereal!

Hi all,
My 4 mth old baby is having a milk strike with me too. Am so glad i'm not alone in this. Have to do the same like some of u...feed her when she's asleep. It's soo tiring...previous 2 nights i set alarm to wake up every 2 hours to feed her when she's asleep cos she simply refuses milk when she's awake in the day. Worse now that she's sleeping lesser in the day!
All she wanna do is to play & talk. Even when she gets hungry, she refuses to drink.

When ur babies refuse milk..do u feed him/her water/fluids..just to prevent dehydration? My baby's urine seems to be getting yellower & smellier. But am worried abt water intoxication if feed her too much water (not that she'll drink a lot anyway)
sad.gif

Ohmigosh,

My bbs refuse to drink water either. Basically they refuse to have the teat in their mouths. But if your bb's urine is getting less, then you should feed more water. Don't worry about water intoxication unless you feed heck of a lot of water...

Wah, wake up every 2 hours to feed! That's very jia-lak! How long does it take you to feed your bb when she's sleeping? Mine can take up to an hour, and sometimes, within that hour, only drinks 20ml! Truly can die...

Hi Melissa,
Thanks!
When she sleeping, she only latches for ~5-10mins then start to pout liao...so each feed abt 15-20mins including burping.
Now awake she dun wanna drink...argh!

Since ur babies refuse water & milk...then how? Their urine not concentrated?

Melissa,
My son loves the Gerber Fruits and veggies mix. Though the instructions given is to add in water, I replace them as formula milk. Try 1 tablespoon first cos the first time, most babies cannot finish up 1 or do not get used.

If U have fingernail, maybe you will like to cut your index fingernail. Cos for young babies, it is easier to feed with index finger than plastic babies' spoon. It is easily to push inside their mouth and place the solids into the side of the mouth. Using spoon, they might close their gum. Hahaha... close their gums. U will have no way to get into. So using finger is easier!

Hi all,
Not to worry, you are not alone. My son's record is no milk intake for 12hours. It's like the last fed was 12am then sleep throughout the night and almost 12pm then he starts to cry for his milk. Then he slimmed down. Now he is in his 5th mth... slowly gaining weight. Just rmb don't force your child milk... ah boh, the moment they see bottle, they will CRY!

Hi Mummies

I have posted a while ago about my babies' refusal to drink milk. Now that they are 7 months, they have begun to show interests in their milk again. When they were around 4-5 months, their daily milk intake used to be about 500-600ml. During the last 2 weeks, it has slowly increased to about 950ml.

Don't be too worry about your little ones, they will get over this period soon.

missylan, u've started yr child on fruits n vege mix liao, so fast ar? Tot they said better to wait till 6 mths to intro such food to them? Me blurr liao ahhahahah
my girl's also in her 5th mth and we still hv to feed her while she's asleep, otherwise she'll only take 30ml n start 'complaining' and rejects the bottle.
oh ya, think we shld not be using our fingers to feed, whether yr nails are long or short(of cos e longer the dirtier lah and such 'dirt' we can't see with naked eye lor), as our fingers contain germs.
U can go & buy those spoons made specially for bb's mouth-spoon feeding training use.
I bought one not too long ago(aiya cant rem brand), it comes in a pack of 2 - one for juice, one for food.

mum05,
Yup, started on solids liao... cos most doc advice us to start 6th mths but I will like to start weaning him first. I gave a bit onli...

Using finger is adviced from books. I bought the baby spoon, but not as good as using fingers. I scrub and wash my finger before feeding.

Hi all,

Well, using finger to feed seems pretty interesting... I think can try. My baby simple refuses his solids the moment he sees the spoon approaching. Dun noe if he hates the food or the spoon. Anyway, feeding him solids as tough as feeding milk.... Now he only takes 3 teaspoon of cereal every morning. (he is 7 months already)

Melissa,
Poor thing! every 2 hours very siong leh. I think you should stretch to every 3 hours and maybe they will drink more each time. I can understand the frustration of feeding for an hour and drinking a miserable amount. Hai.... sometimes I just wanna cry. But try to calm down and let him be lor. I guess they have their moods too. Like adults got appetite issues mah....

Water: When my baby refuses to suck from teat, I just unscrew the teat and pour the water in straight from the bottle. He seems to take it ok. At least everytime can drink like 10-20ml... Better than nothing.

Hi, so glad that I have found this thread and know that Im not alone. My 13 weeks old gal also refused milk. Have to force feed her then she will drink about 50-70ml. She hardly cry for milk and usually we have to force feed her every 3 hours. She is still on total express breast milk and I find so heartache when she is not drinking and have to pour away my xue han milk. Her intake daily is only about 450-600ml. She has not been gaining weight from week 7 to week 11 also. Stays at 4kg. Im thinking of switching to FM in order to make her grow faster
Any advice??

Hi cg,
you should not consider formula to increase weight. My son has the most weight increase when he was on breastmilk. My pd told me that it's cause the fat in the breastmilk is easily digestable. Also, breastmilk is much better, in terms of nutrition and digestability. Hence, if gaining weight is the reason that you want to change to formula, I strongly advice against it. Why not you discuss this with your pd, and see what he/she recommends?

I also think you should not force your gal to drink. My boy was so traumatised by the milk bottle as we force him, that he cried everytime he saw the bottle. So we got no choice but to feed him when he is sleeping. Hence, I think you should just increase the feeding frequency, and stop whenever your baby starts to become agitated. Forcing will not be benificial in the long term.

Or perhaps, as a last resort, you can try feeding your baby when she is sleeping? That why she can drink more. But if you do so, please continue to try feeding her when she is awake, so that she will not get too used to drinking only when sleeping. Like my son now, he dun noe how to drink when he is awake.... Hai....

CG, yr girl at least drinks up to 600ml, my girl 5 mths liao, only take 500+ each day! and that's when i feed her whilst she's aslp... haiz.

ey CHH, not true leh, my girl gains weight pretty well either on BM or FM leh and she was very very chubby before she starts to drink lesser. Anyway, according to e PD, these days, the infant FM contains alot of nutrients and necessary 'fat' content.
Actually, BM dpends very much on the mother's food intake lor, these are part of the many important informations which the BM promoting campaign ain't telling the public and it's not right lor I feel, esp when alot of new mothers are pressurised un-necessarily by these campaigns lor...

Meanwhile, I've got this info extracted for all your easy reference:

Don't introduce fruit or vegetable juice until your baby is at least 6 months old. Offer it in a cup, not a bottle, and limit juice intake to no more than 4 ounces per day. If you choose to give your child juice, make sure you offer it after she finishes her solid foods or formula so she won't fill up on juice and miss out on the more nutritious foods and formula. If she develops diarrhea (sudden, frequent loose stools), then give her less juice and call her healthcare provider.

Diet advice for B/Feeding women:
The best diet for a breast feeding woman is well-balanced and has plenty of calcium. This means you should eat fruits and vegetables, whole-grain cereals and breads, meats or beans, and milk and dairy foods like cheese. You'll need to get enough calories--about 500 MORE per day than usual--and you'll need to drink more fluids.

A balanced diet that includes 5 servings of milk or dairy products each day will give you enough calcium. Talk to your doctor about taking extra calcium if you don't think you're getting enough from your diet.
Important note : U must NOT be dieting during this period when you are breastfeeding.

CG, Did u try changing the bottle with different teat? I have this problem when my daughter reached 1 month old, after i change to pigeon it solve the problem

mum05,
Well for breastfeeding, I guess it's up to individual. I just felt that formula is harder to digest. Also, I felt that formula milk does not mean a better weight gain than breast milk. Hence, if you still can breastfeed, why not continue?

However, I agree that formula also got adequate nutrients for the baby. So if you really can't breastfeed for whatever reasons, then it's perfectly fine to give formula. I myself also gave my son formula when he was 6 weeks old, as my milk supply is very low.

My baby is getting better these 2 weeks. No, not that he starts to drink willingly. Just that his intake has increased each time he drinks when sleeping. So now I feed about 6 times everyday, each time about 130-150ml. I notice that his intake increased when he hits 6.5 months old. I think perhaps when our babies reach 6-7 months, they will want to drink more milk by themselves?

But, now still quite siong. It's getting so difficult to rock him to sleep and feeding itself also takes very long, as he will jerk awake a few times during the feed. So the total time to feed him takes up to an hour. Very tiring. The night feed lagi worse, he does not want to drink. When we pick him up from bed and put into feeding position, he will scream. So got to be soooo careful when we do that every night. Once he got woken up, that's it man. Got to pat him back to sleep etc. Can take up to 2 hours! Tried not to give him the midnight feed, but realise he cannot tahan till 6am. Will wriggle about at 4 plus, but refuse to drink cause he is so hungry that he woke up liao.... So very tough. By hook by crook must feed the midnight feed...sianz...

CHH, maybe it's cos FM is 'thicker', that's why.
but ey, same leh. wat u're experiencing wif yr child is exactly wat I'm facing now. My girl is 5 mths old now and 2 mths ago, she cld take up to 180ml before this non-drinking thingy starts.
Really very tiring hor...but wat to do haiz. Does yr child still slp that much? Cos I'm very very afraid that as she grows older, she will slp alot lesser as what alot of ppl told me lor. In that case, I'm wondering how am I gg to make her drink her milk! jialat man.

hong, cld u elaborate abit? I mean how the teat makes the diff... cos alot of them here changed different teats but still didn't help leh... If it can help, I really dun mind trying.

mum05,
Hai....it's quite a relief to know that there are other mummies out there that is facing the same problem. At least I dun feel so alienated. And it's great that we can give each other support here.

My child really does not sleep that much now. But what I did up to 3 weeks ago is that I will rock him to sleep every 2-3 hours. And after he finish feeding, max I will let him sleep is 30min. Like that he will feel sleepy quite fast for the next feed. Most of the time he will wake up automatically after we burp him. Guess he is 'conditioned' already.
Yes, it's quite bad to deprive them of their naps. But what to do? If you let them nap, then it will be really difficult for the next feed... So I let him sleep early everynight. Put him to bed by 8pm (after feeding), then the next feed will be midnight.

As for teats, you should try to use different kinds and see which one your baby like best. Like for mine, he really liked Nuk for a period of time. And he can suck very easily with the latex ones. But now, he prefers pigeon, and will suck better, even when sleeping. You can try Nuk first and give it to your baby when awake to see if your baby will suck willingly. I guess it will take a couple of tries. But of course, if she still screams then forget it for the time being. If not scully she dun even want to drink when sleeping....

Now I am trying to teach my baby to drink from a cup. Not the sippy cup, just the normal kind. I pour directly into his mouth, a little at a time. I am feeding him plain water using this method. He seems quite receptive. So I guess after about a month of training, will progress to milk to see if he is willing to drink that way.

Hong, from birth till 2nd month, my gal used Avent teat for 0 mth. She took an hour to drink about 80ml. My mum commented she is taking too long. Then we bought the Avent teat for 3mths+. Initially she drinks faster and more milk but some milk will spill out due to the fast flow. Its only for the past 2 weeks that she starts to reject milk. Usually happen when we stop half way to burp her. She will stop drinking once she burped and will cry when I put the bottle in front of her. So im not sure if it is got to do with the teat.
Mum05, your baby could take 180ml at 3rd month!! Thats my gal 2 feeds leh So far her record is just 130ml. I wish she could take more and gain more weight soon..
Does anyone know if taking junk food will affect the quality of breast milk? Any food to avoid?

Mum05, CG,
Like all mum, i thot Avent is so popular brand so it shld suit my daughter.

For the starting 2 months, she is being using avent bottle to take her milk. She didnt take much as well, will reject her milk half way. We thot she is full so she is like even 2hr feeding kind. (she already switch to FM).

One the 3rd month, when my MIL took over cos i need to go back to work. She told us she seem to have difficult drinking the milk even if we have change the teat to 3mths+. So happen we have Pigeon bottle to standby so i passed my MIL the bottle to try.

Surprisingly, my gal can finished all her milk and it solve all the problem. So the problem lies on the teat, it is too big for my daughter mouth and probably she dun feel like opening her mouth so wide to suck on the teat.

From my personal experience, i suggest mommies who have this problem to try changing the bottle. Doesnt mind it will 100% but at least u have tried.

Sometime it cld due to teat size, the milk powder, the temperature of the milk... so many possibilities. Bbies cant talk so mommies have to try many method to find out.

Hope u girl will success finding wat wrong.

I've changed the teat once, from the normal size to the 'anti-wind' size, which is slightly bigger(at the 'end'). It was ok till that 'dun wanna drink milk' problem starts.
I don't really think that it's the teats that she doesnt like lor and we've also monitored on e flow, it's still ok leh.
Also, when awake, she'll still drink abit more if we distract her ...

CG, ya, she took up to 180ml then, so good hor haiz... so u can see my concern when it dropped to 30ml! But the PD told me that some bbs, usually rejects milk after the 'growth spurt' but they will resume in time lor... Ya, whilst slping lor, duno consider as 'resumed' or not haiz.

CHH, u're rite, I was very much relieved when I realised that this is a pretty common problem amongst babies and that I'm not alone lor. Esp when my baby started to reject drinking milk right after we came back from a neighbour's child's ful mth celebration - they kept commenting that she's very chubby right infront of her lor, and alot of ppl said it's due to 'pangtang' lor... I was so devastated then. Imagine she vomitted twice ok !, after comin back from there and that's when the whole problem starts lor.
And ya, very sim tia hor, to see them so slpy yet can't let them go to slp 'yet' but wat to do, like wat u've said
sad.gif

mum05,

for the 'pangtang' thingy, i also encounter many times, if some1 say my son put on weight or chubby infront of him, he sure got sick and become thin again.
sad.gif
so really scare lor.

my son on off rejects milk from 6mths until now 15mths, maybe he is the rare case dat dun resume his milk intake.

Back