Advice Required: Divorce or Not Divorce????

freshmama

I am married to my husband for 3 years and currently having one son at the age of 19months. My problem has been starting ever since when we both plan for our wedding in November 2005. We were both been dating for only one year and for this one whole year, our dating life has been very wonderful and of course i do not have any problem with his mother at all. Me and his mum can get along very well and during weekend, we sure will go shopping and chat and even out for drinks. But all this only happen when me and my husband is in the progress of dating.

My problem started when both of us is planning for our wedding. We actually announce to his parents that we plan for our wedding in year 2006. At first, I thought everything should be ok with his family since his mum like me so much (this is what i think as the past one year, she been treating me very good). But to my surprise, his mum has objected our marriage and on the day of us announce that we want to get married, his mum even say that she will not recognised me as her daughter in law.

Ever since, me and my husband has been quarell very frequently. Almost everyday due to the rejection and objection from his mum. Then we plan ahead our wedding and went for ROM due to house buying problem in March 2006. At first we do not plan to throw any wedding dinner but his mum again objected it. She want us to throw for luxury dinner which at the moment, we definitely unable to afford it. But anyhow, we still proceed as her request but during the preparation of the dinner banquet, she keep on creating more and more problem to cause both of us quarell. After sending all invitation cards and make reservation for the hotel ballroom and etc, his mum finally ask us to cancel everything as she say we never do it in proper way.... But she never even tell us what to do during our reservation process... That time, she just told me everything is perfect... End up, we cancel our dinner and we have lost all our deposit paid for the reservation.

I was pregnant then and during my pregnancy, my life was not in much better than before. Me and my husband has been quarelling from day to day and each day the quarell has become more and more drastic. Mostly our quarell topic will surely about his mum and his family.... I gave birth to my baby in June 2007, and after 1 week from my baby birth date, I realise that my husband has been cheating behind my back.

He always go out for clubbing until early in the morning after i gave birth. I was left alone at home taking care of my baby and the worst is my son keep on crying for the whole night... At that moment, I was really depressed and after my husband came home, I somehow have the instict to check on his mobile and once checked, there is photo of him and other gal that hugging each other... Again we quarell and i keep on scolding him for adultery although i do not have any strong proof for it.. That time, i really thought that i am having imagination and it was my post pregnancy depression.

Then in December 2006, we all move to my parents house as we are doing renovation for my own house. During the renovation time of one month, my husband keep on be back at home late at morning and is full with perfume. In January 2009, I received his phone bills and then I saw that there is one time he call his ex gf number for almost 10 minutes and follow by my number.. I can still remember very clearly that night he again quarell with me for nonsence matter and make excuse to say that he will not come home for that night.

When I confront him, he deny it and keep on saying that I am crazy and blah blah blah.... Again he left me alone with my son at night and almost every forthnight, he will sure be back home about 3 to 4 in the morning... After two months past, during CNY, i cant stand it anymore and we have a really big fight on that day.

On that day, he beat me up for the first time by punching and slapping me at my face. And the worst, I was carrying my baby with one hand and have to cover him by the other hand. He was drunk and I can remember very clearly that on this night, he has scolded me with lots of bad words in my life.

After cooling down and hiding myself and my son in the room for one night, we have a nice talk in the next morning. He told me that he went for drink because he cant take the preassure by his mum and he told me that because of marrying me, he have to go against his mum and his mum will not talk and care about him anymore.... During that time, i really feel regret and i trust 100% of what he have told me. He said that his mum have rejected to see him for almost half a year.

So, again we say sorry to each other and continue our life but he still hang out late at night but this time he make it once a week. After few days, i gave him a surprise and go to visit him at his working place. I saw his mum is there and they have been chit chatting very happily and doesnt have any sense of have been quarelling before... I take up initiative and ask his colleague about his mum present and then only i know that his mum has been visiting him almost everyday and they do not quarell at all...

Again, my husband has cheated me... Last two months, he told me he want to go for a drink again and this time, I ask for his location and time he will be back... I have been checking on him every hour when he is outside by calling him and when he back at home about 4am, he shouted at me saying a lot of things that hurt me mentally.. He been saying i crazy, a control freak, scold my parent as assholes, say my family should die much earliar, saying i am worst than hooker and etc (more bad things which i cant write out). At that time, i really cannot control myself and i went to the kitchen to take a knife and i tried my very best to stab him.

He manage to grab that knife from me and he began punching me again. This time from head to toe. I was push to the floor and he even use his leg to kick my stomach. I was too weak that time that was left alone on the floor until the next morning when my son came to me and wake me up.

I was shivering for the whole morning and when he have wake up and clear from all the alcohol, he told me that he is sorry and blah blah blah.... I told him that i want for a divorce as i cant accept it anymore (this is the thousand time i have said this words) and he told me that is up to me but he been treathening me with his son.

He told me that he have recorded when i take a knife to stab him, and even go for divorce, i will not have the custody of my son. He even told me that my mentally is depressed ever since i gave birth and he been spreading rumours to all my friends about my condition since June 2007. Now only i know why suddenly my friend left me one by one.... He been telling lies to them and told them that i almost kill my son when i am in mood swing... This is not true at all....

I really do not know what to do... Should I really divorce? If yes, should i fight for the custody of my son? Can I win the case? Or should i just continue by being his punch bag when he is drunk? Or just let him have night life while left me alone at home thinking nonsence? I cant take this mentally stress anymore... If I win the case, can i afford to raise my son?

HELP pls HELP... Am I really CRAZY and mentally disorder? Do i need to check with psikiatrist? All I need is a loving husband that will accompany me every night.. Is that a very hard to grant request? Is it too much for a wife and mum at home? WIll I manage to handle my life after divorce?

Anyone with similar incident can please help to advice me on this.... Thank you.

Again, now I am waiting at the door way for that stupid man to come home... I am still thinking wheither to questioned him or not when he is back...

What happen to me actually? I wish he will come home but at the same time, I hated him for beating and left me alone with the son. Should I question him when he is back? But I will sure get the same answer. I am crazy, idiot to think nonsence and blah blah blah.

My mind keep on imagining him hugging other women. Is he really having an affair? What can I do to get more evidence on his behavior? I cant afford any investigator. Should i go search for him myself outside? Where should I start with?

Is it really good for my son to divorce now? Or should i just pretend nothing happen and continue my life just like this? GOD, please do help me in this.... I wish my brain can stop thinking. It really make me painful and headache.

if he is having affair, it's best to get a PI to get evidence against.

U are not trained, if u do it yourself, he will know and it might worsen everything.

I know of pi who don't cost so much. I personally had get one which cost me few hundred only and i got my answer to his activities.

Hi Margret,

May I have the PI contact also? Can PM me seperately if you dun mind.

I also need to source for evidence to deny my hubby custody of my BB if I decided to divoice him. You know, I am also going through the difficult phase of forgiving and divorcing.

Thank you

hi jennifer...
it is not rite for u to confront him when he return home... when drunk... coz he might not able to control his temper well due to the liquid... u shld question him only when he is full alert.... but if i will u... i will left him... i do not allow myself to be hit by anyone... especially men.... if there is a 1st time there is always an 2nd time... that is what i told my hubby.... if he regardless what had hit me 1st time.... that is the end of our relationship....

i think the customy of ur boy will be subject to a couple of condition, like who is able to take care of him better.. who is in a better financial situation.... if might want to seek for advice before consider ur option... do protect urself for his beating...

poshies, u might be wrong saying that who is in a better financial situation will get the custody of the child. Cos from what i know, the court is looking at who is the better person who can provide better welfare to the child.

hi margret,
i think they look into a couple of factor.... i believe the best carer have higher chance... but then financial also play a part.... rite.... if the person have no income... it is to provide a better condition for the child rite..

poshies, yes they look are many factor, especially the charactor of the person.

I have a friend who divorced with his husband who is millionaire. My friend is a Sahm, however, he have the custody as the husband rarely keep the son company and have many girlfriend. Although he is very rich but the custody goes to me friend as the court beleived that the mother can better take care of the son. The husband have to provide the son finacially till he is 21 years old

Hi all,

Thanks for giving me such a handful advice. My life has been hectic and I think I really do need to solve all the problem.

To be honest, I hate it when my husband beat me and hang around outside until early in the morning. But I do not have the strong heart to divorce with him. Thats why I been strugling between dirvorce or not.

Actually wheither is he having anyone outside or not I really do not care now. But I do care about his behaviour towards me and my son. My son is 19 months old now and he already know how to call for his daddy. Sometimes when he is not around, my son will cry till he is back.

Why cant be life be much simple and happy ending always?

jennifer, u should plan for your future.

If he is still continung with that kind of behaviour, u have to do something. Why u want to resign yourself to this kind of life. He is wasting your life.

He is cruel, even the son crying for him won't make him come back show how hardless he is treating both of u.

From what i see, u might have already lose your husband, don't lose your son also.

Thank you for the support. I really appreciate it as I really lack of this nowadays. My parents is not around with me anymore and my most worries is that I will unable to support my son future.

Sometimes, I really do not know what do men think? Why they can treat us good at one day and change on the other day? He can beat me up today and for the next day, he can just act as nothing happen at all and talk to me and my son as usual. But I really cannot just act nothing happen. I dont know when he will go out for drinks and come back with hot temper again.

My friend ask me to hang on with this family for the sack of my son. They ask me to pretend nothing at all and whenever he came late home, just dont ask him any question or dont confront him for an answer. They even ask me to treat him just like a stranger and of course we are like those 'only name husband and wife'. Ever since the incidents happen during the house renovation, both of us do not have any intimate relationship at all.

Is this really what should I do? I been keeping myself quiet for the whole year. Should I just continue being quiet and stay with him in the same house but for actual, we dont act like any husband and wife anymore. If things can turn back, I really wish that I will not be pregnant and never gave birth to my son. Without him, I sure can make decision much easiar...

don't say that. It's not fair for your son.

I beleieved u are still young. U shoud not be tied down by this. Imgaine if u are older and u depended on him even more, then u will more problem.

I am not asking u to leave him just like that but u must stand up for your right or u will regret it in the future.

Dear Jennifer,

I feel so sorry for you. But have you consider marriage counseling? It may be a better option for you and for him. At least there is a professional, neutral 3rd party who may have the means or resources to assist you. Do consider.

Hi Reborn & Shyna,

Thanks for the advices.

I have finally have a peace talk with him yesterday and we both agreed that all this things happen due to the disastifactory of his mum towards me. He said that his mum been telling rumours about me to him and this has make him hated me so much.

But I do not know if this is the real story or not or is it just an excuse for him to ask me to stay back? I believe marriage counseling should be where we should start now. By the way, is there any that can be recommended to me?

Hi Jennifer

My friend ask me to hang on with this family for the sack of my son. They ask me to pretend nothing at all and whenever he came late home, just dont ask him any question or dont confront him for an answer. They even ask me to treat him just like a stranger and of course we are like those 'only name husband and wife'. Ever since the incidents happen during the house renovation, both of us do not have any intimate relationship at all.

I have a friend who did exactly like that and they have already divorced and all my friends who were divorced are now very happily married in their second marriage.

If you choose to remain in a abusive marriage, it's better to heed your friends' advise. The more u cling onto him, the more he will find it "fan kan".

jennifer,

I can understand the struggles you are facing ie. to divorce or not and whether to fight for custody for your child, and whether you would be able to afford to raise your child if you get it, bcos it's exactly how I feel right now.

I was sourcing for a lawyer for divorce last year when I realised I was pregnant with a second child. My friends and family advised me to abort it but I didn't have the heart to.

Honestly, I feel that your so-called friends are not your real friends. Either that or they don't understand your situation well. How can you ask a friend to put up with all the nonsense and maintain the husband-and-wife status without the substance? Would they want their own marriage to be like that?

I was reading a Malaysian newspaper yesterday and came across an article about what you should do before 30. A 38-year-old woman was married for 15 years, and out of these 15 years, she had cold wars with her husband for 13 years. She had put up with such a marriage for the sake of her kids, but when she's finally divorced and looked back on it, she realised she's wasted so much of her life and that it's really late for her to start over.

Don't stay in a marriage for the sake of the children. I wouldn't want my mother to put up with a bastard husband for my sake. We all heard or read stories about grown-up children asking their mother to divorce the father. I honestly don't want to divorce at 40, or 50 or even later.

My husband is not physically abusive, but often asks money from me while I support my first child. He spends more than half of his salary on placing bets the moment he gets his pay, then complains that his job pays too little, and denies betting his money away.

I've been putting up with his nonsense, and keep telling myself that he's going to change, and keep believing that he'll stop betting. One day, I realised that it won't matter to me even if he commits adultery anymore becos I will still cling onto this rotten marriage.

It's at this point that I ask myself if I want to spend my life clearing debts, and toil my life away for the sake of this bastard. Even if I'm willing to do it, do I want to stay in such a marriage to 'role-model' for my children so that they will eventually be conditioned to believe that this is what marriage is all about - to marry a lousy husband and suffer all your life?

Like your husband, mine goes around telling others, including my friends and family, that I go out with, and flirt with, other men. They almost believed him becos he appeared to be so very victimised. If not for the fact that I had spent 30 years of my life with my family and they understand me well, they would have believed his stories.

I have never set myself any new year resolution, but this year, I have one - to get a divorce.

If a man wants to change, one chance is more than sufficient. If he doesn't want to change, thousands of chances also no use.

Hi Tulipzz,

Thanks for sharing me your experience. My conditions is just like yours and substantially this chinese new year is very much miserable for me.

You are right about men will change with only one chance. Therefore i have decided to divorce with this man. I already sourcing for myself a lawyer and already in the mid of the progress.

Hopefully, my life will be much better after this and I do hope for the same to you.

Hi Jennifer,

Sorry to hear what you are going through.

My advice:

1. If you are taking care of your child yourself at home currently, go find someone you trust to help you take care of your child.
2.. If you are not working currently, try to get yourself a job & have a stable source of income.
3. Buck up & doll up. If you still want to save this marriage, bucking & dolling up will add some spices. If you already decided to let this marriage go, then this will make yourself look & feel better. Build up on your self-confidence. Make that man regret when he lost you.
4. Go consult a lawyer on how you can protect yourself from his abuse again & get the custody of your child.

Remember, all these are to be done without letting him know. Because, just in case you are planning to get out of this marriage, don't give him time to think of how to fight back. Defeat him with only one strike needed.

Even if you still want to give this marriage another chance, let him realize himself how attractive you are and not you go & tell him what changes have you done for him.

All the best to you. Most importantly, make yourself happy, because when you are truely happy, your child can feels it.
happy.gif

Hi Jennifer...

very sorry to hear about your problem.
Please take care of yourself & your child! i had an ex like your husband & honestly, i think that men like that will not change for anyone; they love themselves too much. think for your child, if your husband is abusive to you, who's to say what will happen in future? to marry is an commitment shared by two people, & if you are in a destructive relationship, you will never be able to get out of your depressive mood.

be strong...

hope everything works in your favor!

Jennifer..
You are really a very strong woman who been thru so much misery. Please take care and you should know what is best for you. If a husband is not faithful and true to us, what is the point of keeping him by our side when their heart and mind already stray. This is just my opinion.

Jennifer & Tulipzz,

jia you!! u have made the right decision to move on. u gals deserve way better than this.

Hi Jennifer

I admire your courage to make that decision and move on. Do update how things are with you. Hope all is getting better.

hugss

Ok, i share a little bit with you girls.

I am 7 months pregnant, my hubby like change a person. Recently, he always told me he have to overtime or say he boss ask him to go for entertainment, so he always come back home at 10pm. And he always say he have to do work, so he do his work until 3 to 4am in the morning but he is do at home. But one night, i wake up in the middle of the night, i go out and see the study room, i cannot find him, then i went downstair, his car is still there then i went to coffee shop, he not there. Then i call him, he never pick up. In awhile, he call me, i ask him where he go, he say he at coffee shop, then i know he lie. And one day around 10pm, he told me he want to go out to meet his friends, from there he everytime want to meet friends and go drinks. And he excuse is, he is very stress. Last week, he can from sat go out till sunday 1am come back home. and i found he car got shoes, underwear, 1 jean, and polo T. From there i really suspect him.

He told me, i suffer despression illness, and ask me to go for counselling but i dun feel so, i feel so happy at work and with my baby in the womb, how can i suffer despression. He make me cry, and he ask me to shut up or he will go out from this house. And i also found he hide some money in the wallet slot.

I dun know, i feel he cheat me but he always make me feel like i am the one who always wrong.

Maybe you girls can help me judge this person.

happy.gif
thank you (new beginning)

hi pinky, be strong.

I have heard this kind of things happening many times in the forum and the man always blame the wife is depress.

What do u intend to do if u find out the truth?

Good morning new begining,

Can i know how much you pay for the PI?
and how long it take you?

If i find out the truth, i will definety divorce with him without thinking so much. Because i am a person who cannot forgive a person who is betray me and even i can live together with him, i will forever remember it.

So you still with your hubby, how are you now?

because they don't want to be accuse of the wrong doing and putting the blame to the wife. Men's ego (MCP) haha!!!!!!!

most of the time, they (men) also know what they are doing is wrong and its easier to blame the wife to make themselves feel better

i agree with bee :p

alot of men r afraid to face the music and acknowledge their mistakes. they would only do so when they r forced to a corner and then they might see what they had done wrong...

Hi Pinky. I've read your story and I'm sad to hear that women like us are always blamed by our husband when they go astray. How is your life now? Are you pursuing divorce?

hi hi. am facing marriage problem now. am married for 9 yrs with a young daughter. donno why think of it always wanna cry but tried to hold back my tears. here's the story:

i've discovered via an internet link for payment for a movie on a day where i was overseas. (hubby didnt do a good job in deleting history). i asked hubby whether he has anything to tell me. he said no. i told him abt the internet link. he then declared that he went movie and dinner with his facial therapist during my absence. before i left for my overseas trip, hubby told me he will be having dinner with an ex-colleague. now that he declared that the dinner was actually with the therapist and the arrangment was made 3 mths before my trip when he learnt that i was going overseas. hubby claimed that there wasnt anything between them. he said that the therapist already has a boyfriend. hubby said that they have been sharing their family life with each other during facial and thus becomes friends. hubby claimed that he kept the movie+dinner date from me he cos he didnt want to me to get the wrong idea. i've met this therapist when i went facial with hubby. young (24yrs old), tall and pretty.

few mths later, i discovered hubby has a hotmail account (which he didnt tell me) which was set up 4yrs ago. i asked him to login and discovered that the therapist profile and many other gals profiles are in his network. when asked on the online chats at night (done during my beauty sleep), hubby claimed that they didnt pre-arrange to chat online and only get to get to chat if either party login. hubby surf porn and turn on the MSN chat to see whether anyone wanna chat with him. he claimed that chats were on decent matters.

hubby kept saying that they were just friends. hubby also said wanna arrange for therapist to bring boyfriend to meet me.

am upset with why he was not honest with me on the movie + dinner as well as the online chats with her.

what should i do now? believe him and forgive him?

it's alway from nothing then develop into something.

If there is nothing, then there 101 person to go out with, why with that therapist. And it's seem that your husband know many thing about her

<u>gcherny</u>
Please do not take things lightly.

What your hubby did, is just like I'm reading what my hubby did. My hubby also met a girl, when he went for sales appointment. At that moment, we were having cold war.

The first thing started out that he mentioned that he need to bring her out for dinner. To seal the deal to the business. Then.... few days later, I found a receipt to a HK Cafe meal. And instantly... I found the receipt to be super fishy.

To cut things short.... in the end, 1 month after their relationship started, then I found out that my hubby had an affair. By that time, too late already. They already went to bed... they went movie together... they went to lots of dinners together.... they held hand together. And..... a relative saw it. When they saw me.... They gave me a pitiful look.

If you really don't wish anything to happen. Please action fast. Though for me, the episode is over, and hubby is back by my side. But it already caused a very big hole in my heart. In our relationship.

When a mirror has crack, can you mend it at all?

Back