(2012/06) Jun 2012

ssmilezz, thanks for your encouragement..have been doing squats..walking around more before fri.
u seem to be coping very well post pregnancy..i think i would be totally blur as a first time mum, haha

denise, you would be seeing your baby soon!
happy.gif

ooo...hahaha~ coz your profile puts 26yr old~ hahaha! i'm 27 this year. =D
yeah i put on 23kg (1st boy - 5yr old)... 25kg (2nd boy - 3 yr old) and now 25kg again~ (still boy...) *dangz* each pregnancy i'll always have extra 3kg that i cant lose! so PEK CHEK! i also stretch mark everywhere but will disappear after a few months from birth~ now feel like hippo...put on so much weight but bb not big~ so angry!!! each bb i put on more weight but each bb smaller than the other! *zzzzz*

Denise, how's everything?

Kadice, I'm also first time mum. I would say these r new experiences. During labour, the most impt thing is to push baby out using your stomach (and not face), so can start practicing how to make use of stomach strength and remember to bring your nipple cream.

Total breastfeeding - I m doing tbf. Every 3 hrs or by demand (lesser). Tiring. Really not easy. 1st day, bb latched for 15-20mins. 2nd day, bb started to latch more than 1hr (both sides) and still not enough. A nurse said bb is getting too comfy using my nipples as pacifier. Another said maybe still not enough bcos bb only poo n urine once. Anyone has experience with this? Now bb's back to 20 - 30mins per side for his night feeds.

Kadice

I wish I could say I am coping well. Now the CL is still around. I have to get used to being alone next time. The hormones are making me an emotional wreck. Sometimes feel ok, sometimes not so ok. But I try to push through and focus on the positive things which is to get to know my girl better and take care of her. I haven't really gotten a chance to hands on with baby yet, other than some feeding, diaper changes, putting to sleep. Will try to do so next week after my checkup to make sure the c sec wound is healing fine. I want to shower her and change her.

I always have been very independent throughout even during my pregnancy. I practically went through the 10 months as if I wasn't preggie. For now, suddenly, I need to depend on people for help, it's just not easy for me do do so. But I know family wants to help out of goodwill so in order for me to not disappoint them, is to accept their help graciously and do my best.

I agree with what Cass says. Push using your tummy strength if not it'd not be sufficient energy to push your baby out. Bring your nipple cream along. I started applying once the latching started in hospital. Once your nipple toughens up from either latching or pumping, you'll be ok.

Cass

I only latch once a while. I express regularly. But how come baby poop so little ah? Mine does it like almost every other feed leh..poop and pee.

Sunbelle

The rash is really irritating me. It's on my arms. I took out my older BM from the fridge and use it to wash and apply. Supposed to be good for rashes. Then on and off apply calamine lotion.

Cyn

Yeah, my in laws are very helpful and caring. It's like everybody tries to rally around and help. Your hubby is really your MIL's bao bei son leh..she more worried about him?! A grown man?!

Mission

My c sec wound is around slightly more than a week old now. It's just starting to feel itchy. Pain wise quite ok already. But maybe like what the rest say, it's the first c sec? So heals better? Less painful?

Pre-Pregnancy weight

How long did it take for you guys to lose the weigh? Or rather how is the weight loss coming along? My tummy was really big after delivery. Today is Day 8, erm the fake baby bump ask gone done significantly I must say. I put on close to 17kg for this pregnancy - as of today, I am 7kg over my pre-pregnancy weigh. I wonder if I can go back down to my usual weight by one month. Hmmm...

Cyn here: I know exactly how u feel when I saw ur post saying that ur mil came cos she is worried about her son!!! My mil is quite similar to urs.. She was telling my cl what her son likes to eat and dislike.... Cos my cl is cooking for my hubby too. She is afraid that her son don't take those ginger stuff and may go hungry! So far my hubby is eating the same food as me and no complain cos he don't want me to worry too much... Haha... Talking about mil!!! Whaohahaha....

Minnzo - ya! Exactly! My hub also don't take ginger but I got my maid at home to cook also mah but somehow my mil worry lor. So when I had my #1 a lot of issues at home with mil. Luckily this time she won't b ard until bb full mth.

Ssmilezz - ya! My hub is youngest child in the family. But then hor, end up it's my hub ve to look after them instead. Mil jus want to show she is looking for her son n helping but in actual fact didn't do much bvos she actually hate to cook. A lot of drama happened during my 1st confinement, v drama in fact! ;P both me n hub v stressful with them ard.

Bb poo - bb on bm can don't poo sometimes, so don't worry. Actually doc look more for wet diapers (ie pee). Some poo after every feed but some don't poo for days or weeks. If bb is asking for milk every hr then she is not drinking enough n I think also ve to see the color of pee n number of wet diapers everyday. If u feel bb is sucking for comfort to sleep only, then either unlatch or wake her up n try again. Try not to let bb treat ur nipples as pacifier. The habit will b hard to break later

Nipple cream is v advisable during hosp stay, the first few days nipples sure crack bvos bb still learning to latch.

Shuyi - didn't know my profile not updated! But u r v young indeed with 3 kids!! My also all boys!! N also no justice that they r getting smaller when mummy getting bigger! But at least u lose so much after each pregnancy Le!

Ssmilezz - but hor, doc will look out for color changes for bb poo during first mth. The best color is mustard color. Blackish color is beginning few days to 1wk I think only

Shuyi, cyn : oh, so it's common for 2nd c-sec to hurt more... Ok, I'll hv to be patient & let it heal. Thot it also got to do with age (im 35). I'm not wearing binder cos so hot... In hosp, gynae gave instructions to just wear for 1st day after c-sec. Ya, I hold on to my tummy when I feel a sneeze coming. Gynae says just take the painkillers regularly. Didn't know can do tummy tuck too! My postpartum belly is still huge - can pass for 5 mth preggie! :p

Re weight loss : I gained 17kg and only lost just 4 kg after delivery!! Maybe cos I'm not BF-ing...

Smilezz : your weight loss is v good! Envy... I'm waiting for gynae to give approval for massage - prob after 1 mth. Hope can reduce the tummy. I was skinny so dun mind the extra kg but the tummy is v ugly!

Sunbelle: When is your last day of confinement?

Ssmilezz: reading what u said i also go through the same thoughts. Before my CL came (she was 2 days late) HB and i handled bb on our own. So when she came we had to adjust from being independent to depending on her since she is there to do it.
Now i am so used to someone cooking for me cleaning the dishes bathing & diaper changing and that someone is around at home ...

Sunbelle
What vouchers u giving to your friends? Bengawan?

Weight loss aft birth
I gained about 20kg from preggy. Same as first time. But no worries mummies, will lose them eventually.. Give it 3 months.. I no rush to lose the weight either.. Hahaa not really weight conscious I guess.. Weight just a figure.. Hope to be toned!

Smilezz/fleurfleur
I don't have a cl this time.. Just my mum n helper and I try to do things more instead of relying on them cos I know is tough.. Things that I can do to help relieve them I try.. Eg they boil herbs for my bath, I try to use less so they don't have to boil too much.. Need the parts for pump, do myself.. Tho my mum is still pretty much insistent that I should have absolute bed rest.. After this one month, gotta learn to be more hands on le.. After all 2nd Bb.. 1st Bb i v hands off

Bb sleeping pattern
My Bb been a night owl.. Sleeps in day, awake at night.. Giving us a headache.. It's like now he slps like a pig, pretty diff to wake up, but at night, easily irritable and hard to put to slp.. Any mummies experiencing same issue?

Mission: must wear binder!! Else the pain will be even worse! Anyway mummies I just came to see my gynae coz of contraction pain and pain in my previous c-sec scar. Gynae decided to have me c-sec today. Going for my c-sec at 1.30pm! Wish me luck!

Shiyi, all the best to you. May you have a smooth delivery.

I was discharged yesterday and it's my first nite at home with my bb lastnite. Start of mine and hub sleepless nite. She can wake up every 1, 2, 3 or 4 hourly to drink milk for 15-20 mins. Omg....really hard to predict her feeding time. My breast are both very sore with cracks....unable to pump milk out cos of the soreness. Just have to feed on demand at the moment. Applying at leftover milk after each feed to soothe the breast but it's still sore and stick onto my wireless bra. Each time to remove them from the bra hurts me so much. Did you mummies face the same problem too?

Hi Anne,

I been thru the same thing. First, stop latching till your nipple recover. If not, your nipples will not recover. Cos somehow I think becos we latch baby wrongly baby tougue tight now.
But no choice, if just have to pump to keep supply or engorgement. Don't pump more than 15min each time. Or just hand express if you know how. You at home no need to wear bra la

If your baby cry for milk before 2-3hrs, I guess baby not full. How much did you feed your baby per session?

Your baby got any jaundice show?
If starting to show, you better feed your baby engh fm, cos not engh fluid.

Chermayne

Just keep reminding yourself - whether natural or c sec, most importantly, both mother and child are safe. The rest will come naturally. Jia you. GOt to relax else very hard to dilate.

Anna

Think best to stop latching for awhile leh. Else your poor nipples may end up bleeding.
sad.gif
Then it'd be worse.

Anyone else helping with both of you? Going to be tough at first. I am going to face that once the CL goes too. Hope you two persevere on and very soon will become experts.

Hope

Mine also likes to wake up more frequently at night to drink. Day time especially after shower and milk, she is typically in a good mood and can self entertain for maybe an hour or so.

Mission

I actually have no idea how fast the weight will go down la...not super bothered by it anyway. Have too many other things to worry about. :p

Fleur

I know what you mean cos i never had anyone stay with me at home to help out. And I already resisted getting help saying we can manage ourselves. Now the past few days have become like a luxury for someone to clean, wash, cook etc.

Anna,
Lataction consultant warn said MUST wear bra. you might wan to get a breast shell to protect your nipple from abrasion.

Anna
You should let your nipples heal before latching again. Otherwise it will just get worse. Pumping actually causes less friction on the nipples provided u get the right size breast shield. I find breast shell not much use. To prevent your nipples fr sticking to your bra, apply nipple cream liberally. At least the cream I use helped a lot. I just slap on a lot after each latch or pumping session.

I'm currently using nipple shields now to prevent any further damage to my breast. So I won't have so much worries that I did not do any proper latching. With the nipple shields, I can continue to breastfeed but not on pumping. Maybe of the wrong size of breast shield was used lastnite hence hurt my nipples, I have no choice but to stop pumping until my nipples recover from the abrasion. I have bought the right size of funnels but yet to use them till my nipples fully recover.

Anna
Don't forget to apply slot of nipple cream. My friend ask me to buy medela nipple cream when I have crack nipple. Mt crack nipple heal in 2days after applying.. If your cream not working well, maybe you wanna try..

hopecg : my gal's also night owl. She sleeps a lot in the day. like 4 hours. then we wake her up for milk. At night, she'll start to fuss for milk around 2.5 hour. er, i give her pacifer lor. So she's suck and sleep a little longer.

Shuyi : congrats on the delivery! Quite a big bb.

Smilezz
I agree that the person who is most stressful is hubby. He helps me to buy things, gorcery shopping, taking care of no 1 and helps with bb. Not mentioning he still has to work.

Fleurfleur
We were also able to handle bb when CL was not here yet. Baby was able to sleep on her own and all. Now she is being pampered and needs to be tap to sleep.

Weight Gained
I gained 13kg to date I have not weigh myself to know how much I lost. I think if we bf we will lost weight very quickly.

r

Shuyi, congrats!! Have a great bonding with your little one!!

Apparently, I have no cl to help me out. My mil is helping me with housechores and my confinement meals.

Priscilla, I'm using Lansinoh cream which is pretty good. Hope it will help to heal my nipples fast. If not, will get Medela cream instead.

Cracked nipple
The LC mentioned that if we have cracked nipple apply BM aftrr we pump or latch. we should also need to air the nipple to let it heal faster. If you cannot bear the pain then use the nipple shield.

Shuyi
Congrats on th arrival of your bb

Shuyi - congrats!

Chermayne - think ur bb shld b out too by now?

Bf for first time mummies - forgot to mention, for mummies who still can't latch v well, I suggest using the breastfeeding pillows that u strap ard ur body. I feel it's gd for starters bcos if u don't ve it, u will b busy trying to carry ur newborn (with all soft bones everywhere) n trying to adjust her head to the right angle is tough with 1 hand n the other hand trying to get ur nipple into her mouth. It's rather stressful n can b a difficult task. With the help of the pillow, u can place bb on the pillow n ve both ur hands free to adjust bb head n angle n still hold ur nipple, there is no need for another hand to carry bb since bb is already resting on the pillow. I find that this help me to get bb to latch properly faster. N also with csec wound, the weight of bb is on the pillow n not on mummy. So it's rather helpful. So for my 1st delivery, I borrow fr hosp, for my 2nd delivery, I brought mine to hosp. I will bring for my 3rd delivery too. Anybody else also using it?

Kadice, u overdue yet? I suggest u bear abut of pain n do the VE. Chris is very experienced and this time round I'm really glad he was supportive of my VBAC intention after checking. Surprisingly accurate on the weight (he checked 2.8kg just b4 I was admitted and later it was 2.85kg at birth), size of head n my pelvic outlet area. He also timed the induction v well n was absolutely cool when he walked in delivery suite. Just trust him since we hv gone to him.

Thanks sunbelle!

Mission why u din try BF?

Deebee and all, I am a VBAC success!!! Delivered my princess on early 26 jun. A really wonderful feeling n enjoyable experience w epidural. Real labour was short in delivery suite. For those who had c sect 1st time, do try for VBAC next time n eat healthily. Will try update my birth story when I'm less tired n checked out of hosp.

liligal..feel happy for you. i also heard that he is quite accurate. see what he suggests this fri when i see him. my edd is this sat & he would be out of town, back on sunday. so if no signs, would be scheduling to induce next week for sure
happy.gif
meanwhile, u rest well!

kadice, he wasn't accurate for my #1. missed by 0.5kg... makes a lot of difference. and also first round, i din dare to let him do VE. only later then i did and after he did membrane sweep, 1.5days later my boy was out without any induction.

My beautiful son has arrived yesterday at 340pm!! Total labour hours was 5 hours! Im really glad its over!
happy.gif

Stitches for now feels abit tight bt i think it shod be fine after awhile!!
happy.gif

But this rascal of mine doesnt wan to latch! So i had the hospital to bottle feed him instead.
sad.gif
waiting for lacating consulatant to com by later n see what she says too

Denise congrats! And hang in there. At first they are sleepy and all they want is their previous peace and quietness. He'll also need time to learn. Did u try to wake ur prince up desperately? First time we took 1hr for her to wake latch and move her dainty mouth.

Cyn
I have the my brestfren pillow. Agree it's a must for comfortable and easy latching. Although now I sometimes use the lying down position ESP at night.both me and baby can continue sleeping after that!

Denise
Actually first few days baby still have some stores in their body even if they don't drink anything. If you are really keen on latching, you may not want to intro bottle feeding so early in case baby gets nipple confusion. If really want to feed, u can ask nurse to do spoon or cup feeding instead.

Seems that most mummies are doing full month celebration. Don't think I am doing cos such a hassle..though feel a bit guilty. anyone not doing?

ktmum: Me not doing, coz my husband's grandmother passed away this year, so his aunty say cannot hold.
I feel sad for my boy.

I'm also not having full party. find it quite a hassle doing e logistics n entertaining others tt day. will just give bgw cake vouchers.

Glass
Don't be sad. Actually your boy is still not aware of anything yet! In fact, my brother's baby's PD advise not to hold full month celebration. Cos you are actually exposing baby to so many potential viruses and germs from all your guests!

Glass

Don't feel sad - and if you must, just have a nice makan with your family to end off your confinement on a good note.
happy.gif

If given a choice, I'd not want to hold one too but since my ILs would like (so would my mom), we decided to do so.

ktmum

I have the BF pillow too. How do you use it to position your baby? I'm quite a klutz trying to position my girl at times.

Denise

Congrats!!!
happy.gif
Have a well deserved rest while you can before the madness begins.

liligal

Contrats!!!
happy.gif
So happy for you. Am glad you perserved and managed to do VBAC. Have a good rest k?

Milk Bags

What brand of milk bags are you guys using? I already bought Lansinoh but I think not enough need to get more.

Ktmum - ya I use that only beginning to train bb to latch properly. After bb can latch well, I also lie down to bf, n jus sleep with bb. But my #1 is so used to sleeping with me that till now 4yrs+, he is still sleeping with me! For my #2, once I wake up seeing he doze off after lying down to bf, I will put him back in cot so now he love to sleep in his cot. I will do the same for #3, I find my #1 too attached to me! But somehow, bb can sleep longer with mummy next to them, think its the familiarity n security they feel in mummy tummy since they recognize mummy.

Glass - I never ve a huge party for my kids full mth b4. I rather ve a nice 1st birthday party. So for my kids full mth, I only bk a restaurant table for our close family members n ve a nice lunch together n give out cakes to friends n relatives. That is all. So even if u not doing full mth, jus look forward to 1st birthday celebration lor. I think it's more meaningful n fun. Full mth v tiring for mummy since u jus finish confinement by then n still recuperating n also body still look preggy for many mummies Le, I rather wait for 1st birthday where I can b fresh n energetic, n probably lost some weight by then n also bb will b able to enjoy the party too. Time flies b4 u know it that it's their 1st birthday! Cheer up!
happy.gif

Liligal - congrats! Luckily ur Gynae allow epi for u. My doc doesn't allow epi for vbac. Anyway I won't b able to experience that in this life Liao. Anyway, well done!
happy.gif

Glass,
I am also not holding any full month party. Too much hassle and its very difficult to please everyone. Since both parents never insist on having the party, we decided not to have any. However my mum said still need to do something. She asked me to buy Ang Ku Kuei and make some red eggs to signify the full month on the day itself. Maybe you also can do that?

I agree with Cyn_here, organise the one year old party. It will be much more fun. We also don't have to feed every 2 to 3 hours and we can interact with our friends and family better.

i also didnt hold a full month party.. i tot it would be more meaningful to hold a 1year old one instead.. on my girl's 1 month, we just took some pictures and went out for a good meal.. just the 3 of us.
happy.gif

i find it tiring to plan for frens and relatives to come.. anyway the baby will be sleeping most of the time.. i rather they come separately so that baby will not be overwhelmed.

Smilez
I lie baby on the bf pillow similar to cradle hold position just that it allows my hands to be free, one to hold baby's head to push towards my nipple the other to hold under my breast and squash the nipple so can go into my baby's small mouth.

Cyn
Me too having headache over sleeping arrangement. My 3 yr old girl is sleeping on our bed too. So after a while got to move baby back to cot after latching at night. Actually more convenient if can just continue sleeping so thinking maybe i should sleep in other room with baby until he can sleep thru the night.

I also held one year birthday party for my girl instead of full month party. Although still tiring I enjoyed it and my girl also enjoy. Running around with her friends. I don't we would hv enjoyed full month party as much.

lili gal : I tried BF but had bad engorgement in hosp which made me very stressed... So stopped. For my 1st kid, also same thing - after the engorgement, I tried pumping for about 3 weeks. supply was v little, so i stopped. Feel guilty but decided to put it behind me...

Congrats that you are a successful VBAC case! I thot of doing it, but later gynae felt that the bb still wasn't engaged so we went for elective c-sec.

re 1st month, agree that it's a real hassle... i can't find a suitable venue, so prob will just do it at home. will have 2 sessions... :p

Hi ladies, I just got discharged today. Unfortunately my baby was unable to go home with me due to high jaundice caused by blood group incompatibility (I'm O+, he's A+)
sad.gif
I really miss him a lot... going back later to latch him and deliver some ebm for them to feed him. Hope he won't so fast reject me after being bottle fed..

My c-sec went really smoothly. I got to hospital around 10.30am for check in, by 12.30pm was wheeled down to the OT. Baby was born at 1.47pm, 3.6kg, 53cm. It was a good thing he was out quickly as my gynae said he already passed a bit of motion inside so there's risk of infection. Fortunately, he's very healthy and strong except for the jaundice count of over 200, which required formula to supplement my initial low supply.

My bm kicked in on the 2nd night and boobs feel like grapefruits which need to be squeezed every couple of hours :p I guess it's a happy problem to have supply but it's quite painful to press out the lumps. At least I managed to latch baby for 40min and came back to pump more for him. For all you tbf mums, just keep going! That's all for now..

Back