(2010/07) July 2010 MTB

mine can't drop tt dreamfeed leh...he will take his sleeping milk at 9.30pm then sleep.

after tt he will wake up at 3.30am sharp or 4am if we try n chuck his pacifier back into his mouth n bluff him. after tt he will wake up n start wailing his lungs n go mum mum....neh neh neh neh....ma ma ma ma...after tt 3.30am milk he will goes bk n sleep until 8am or 8.30am...

there will be an open house at learning vision @ the grassroots' club this saturday from 10am - 1pm. if you are keen to enrol your child in the centre for toddlercare for next year, do come down [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

my boy rufuse to drink from straw leh... he always push away the bottle... he prefer to drink from spoon...

I start him on cod liver oil already - 1 small spoonful for weekdays only

hi mummies,

i am thinking of enroling my son in the playgroup/ half-day childcare at MMI (Modern Montessori International) Bright Hill Drive branch.

any of you heard of/ had any reviews on MMI?

Hi, I would like to give away my Glenn Doman English and Chinese flash cards. These are white cards with big red words.

I have done it with my boy a year plus ago and it is very effective. He seems to learn things very easily now. So I highly recommend it to anyone with kids under 3. It is very easy to do at home. just 5 seconds each time 2 or 3 times a day.

Anybody interested or have more queries, please contact me directly at [email protected].

Hi JP,

Yup, received a call from LV at GR this morning. Told them I will go down openhouse to see see this Sat. They told me if this Sat go openhouse and if we like and pay deposit plus registration fee, Kayden will definitely get a space in LV.

I also received a call from Carpe Diem @ Hilltop, asking me to go their childcare see see. If I interested, I can place deposit and registration fee.

lasery : now me headache worz.. he drink water.. but don wan to drink milk... hai~~~

Sweetkiss : me cook once and store.. than will use my daily soup to pre-heat again for him to eat.. :)

mine don't want water..=.=! he is a milk tank...

sometimes when he don't want his porridge we had too add the frisocream cereal milk based n make him eat..i add 2 scoop to let the porridge gt milk taste he also happi...argh..

now i duno where to put him loh...lagi headache..haven gone for any open hse too...haiz...kids are really a headache.

Aiyoh, i have those multi coloured balls at hm..

Mine like water now, so thinking when to intro cup for him to drink, but i think will be v messy la. K is weak in self- feeding. So weird that he likes to put things into his mouth to taste, but not food. I still have to guide his hand to self-feed himself food.

erm... wonder if it is ok to keep those toys (such as the multi colored balls and soft sponge balls) so long as they don't lick or bite the toys?

Ann: thanks for sharing on LV open house. Do you stay nearby GR Club? It is rather near Bishan so I am considering it too, but have not visited before. Intend to find out more on Sat at the open house. What is it about LV that made you keen to send K there?

Bdmummy

LV is in the same grp of pat's school house but less Atas. Curriculum similar as pat's as well. The sch if I am not wrg provides a literacy base curriculum, emphasis is on phonics, letter or word recognition. Quite a popular sch w a balance curriculum.

Ann

My #2 maybe going to cd@hilltop. My #1 is there. I like it that the school is big n open. Drawback is a lot of mossies. Joyce e centre manager is v nice and I like the teachers. They focus on mi - multiple intelligence.

Charliebrown: no dun poke it in. Just clean the external outside the ear hole by twirling the bud. Can wet the bud a little. Yup I'll take chic pox + MMR. Just to get it over & done with.

Bdmummy: Actually I also not sure why I shortlisted it. Maybe cause it is convenient and near in-law place. Haha! I heard their curriculum not bad. Will do a comparison between carpe diem and LV before deciding. You going open house at what time? Maybe can meet up and explore the centre together.

Hershey: yup, I am going. You?

JP: Yup, I agree Joyce is quite nice. That's why decided to go down to take a look. Unlike the centre manager at kinderland, Talk like we no money to attend their childcare.

Told my in-law we sending kayden to childcare next year when he reached 18mths. My MIL don't like the idea. Say they can still take care of him. She say he can soon go nursey 1.. So why need to go childcare. But I think childcare will do him good especially in social skill and independent. A good pre school education also impt so that he would not struggle in pri school. I think she don't understand that kid now is different from kid 20yrs ago. After we left, my hubby's sister SMS me that my MIL ask her why kayden need to go childcare. I told her my thinking and she ask me full day childcare? I told her yes cause price diff not much. She say her mum will not like that idea cause old fashioned. Hai!!

hi ann, no doubt a gd presch will prepare for pri school, but if starting from 3yr old , you still have another 3 years. i don't think one will need > 3yrs just to prepare for pri sch :p

if you have someone to take gd care of your son, i wld also ask similar qn why still need full day cc (price is not the issue... its the hrs). those 3 hr playgroup would be better idea. note some CC, after certain timing, will just on TV to baby sit your kids [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

i super appreciate my inlaws willing to take care of my kids. so they start school the year they turn 3 for nursery (and thats only 1/2 day), which i feel its perfect for the old generation to spend some time with our little ones.... i only started my 4 yr old till 3pm last mth which i hesitated for some time even.

for mummies searching for CC, might want to take note of the cirriculum on use of phonics re: literarcy. i took for granted that phonics form the fdn that all CC would adopt..

only upon talking w others, i realise that a number of CCs response is : we don't use phonics (!) for english and that's only provided if you sign up for additional enrichment once a wk (?!). usually first 1/2 day is more structured program and afternoon , the CCs would ask whether you want to "sign up" for additional enrichment classes like phonics. if you don't sign up,its just free play time (nicer way of saying cho bor) [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] as we wouldn't want to be switching our kid from CC to CC year on year as they would make frens, be familiar with teachers,etc, the first CC that you select might want to put more consideration...

at Pat's sch, from day 1 when my older one start sch, they learn and breathe phonics every day. which i feel is key to reading, spelling, etc.

Ann: My parents also think the same way. Initially already wanted to put K at infant care when she was 3.5 mths old but my mum said she was too young and we backed out on the day before the 1st day of sch. But, the prob is my mum is not very willing to look after my gal now. She complains she has no time to go out, her health not gd, etc.. and the frustrating thing is when I told her I will put K in CC/IFC as soon as there is a slot (had to restart on the waiting list again), she will tell me things like CC is not good, they wont give her 1-to-1 attention like how she is taking care of K now. Reason being, my mum works in a well-known CC before as a helper. She has seen sides that we parents dun see. Eg. Serving mouldy butter, ignoring crying kids when feeding (their mucous drip to the food and the teachers just continued to feed), and many more. So she is worried. Then what am I supposed to do? I can’t please anyone and I have to work.

Pillow: I agree with u. If I were a SAHM, I wouldn’t put my kid in a CC. (No subsidy anyway). And if my mum is willing to help, K wouldn’t have to go CC at all. I will send her to 2 hourly playgroups till she goes nursery and so on.

Pillow: If my in-law are still strong and healthy, I would not have to make that kind of decision too or maybe delay such decision. But my FIL is down with Parkinson disease, his condition is worsening each day. Sometime, he can't even stand properly, will suddenly sway to one side. He is also very protective towards Kayden, he is always by Kayden side whenever Kayden is awake. Sometime when I am there for the morning, he will dose off on the sofa just because his grandson is not napping, he don't dare to go rest even if he is tired. My MIL is not exactly the stay home kind. She love to go out shopping thus the care of kayden is hesvily relied on the maid & my FIL. Moreover no one trusted the maid, so sometime we have to trouble my hubby's sisters to take leave and stay home to be with my boy and maid when FIL goes for body checkup. It is unfair to them too. So taking all these into consideration, we believe he is better in the childcare. I purposely choose cc neat my in-law house so that they can still fetch him home and spend time with him if they want to. Or else I would have chosen LSH opposite my office le.

sweetkiss, spot on. we only get to see the things we are allowed to "see". which is WARM teachers, GREAT school environment, CLEAN premises and SUPERB food [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Pillow: So is Pat's Schoolhouse good? How early did you send your #1 to Pat's? Pat's ideal for me coz there's one just behind my place! I didn't realise that till my mom told me. ahahaha. either that or JG. I'm more for playgroups than learning but learning in a fun environment is ideal [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] and i also want to expose H early in Chinese. So i'm thinking of JG Mandarin playgroup?

What other centres are good for Chinese playgroups? Anybody? TIA!

hi ica, i started my boy to Pats the year he turned 3 in Jan (his bday in sept) for AM session. he goes at 8.30 and comes home around 12.30pm.

i really liked the bilingual emphasis of the sch. there will always be 1 Eng and 1 Chin teacher at all times. the teachers are passionate and personal (willing to liase with parents via SMS). they use letterland as the core for english. it's been an overall gd experience so far with the school, for 1.5 years now.

I heard Pat's schoolhouse is good but expensive.

My HB's friends have enrolled their daughters there.

Actually, I was toying between 1/2day CC & playgroup. More experienced mummies in my workplace advised if possible, only put my boy into FT CC when he reaches at least 2y/o or join N1 when he's 3y/o.

Cuz before that toddlers immunity not so strong, so will always fall sick, esp. when since young he's not exposed to such environment (e.g. infant care).

I thankful that at least now my PILs are able & willing to take care of my boy but I also want him to learn new skills and be exposed to other surroundings.

So most likely will enrol him in playgroup 1st. Then see how.

Can share what are the better CCs in Sg? Also, where can I find the list of playgroups in sg?

I am also hesitant bet 1/2 day cc and playgroup. I prefer half day so that he can spend time at home in the noon, and my mum will have rest time or go out, etc. My mum too, likes to go out. And I have to source for cc and playgroup myself cos hubby does not care, even for the logistic arrangement of picking K up, etc. He just wans me to quickly go work.

SK: thanks~

Pillow: Thanks! So your boy started pre-nursery at Pat's? Okie, I'll go check it out one of these days. H will be attending St. James in 2 years' time. My fren's girl is attending and she told me that every Friday, there's a session with the pastor and all the 3yo kids will kwai-kwai sit down and listen to his sermon! i like this part [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

i'm thinking of enrolling my girl at either Shaws or Lorna Whiston when she turns 2 next year. both places quite near my house. I also called up Pat's near my place but they told me to call back when she turns 2/2.5 then can start playgroup. now too early to go see. then, next thing i know, the pat's near my house like undergoing major reno. dunno where the kids go now.

mummies, just wondering is it ok if i put my girl in half day CC (i work part time) when she turns 2, then continue at the same sch for N1? does that sound ok ah? i'm not sure what's the diff between CC and N1. does anyone just put in CC until they go K1? or is it the norm to start at N1 when 3 years? i remember my time i just stayed at home with a nanny until i went K1 haha. but i guess times have changed...

Gg to IFC/CC:

my mum n mil also worry when i plan to send my ger to ifc when she was 2 mth old. but then again, no one could take care of her, i need to work, mil is working plus she is looking after hb's granny, my mum is working too. my dad wanted my mum to stop working n look after me ger, but i didn't want to. cos it so unfair to her,if she is a homemaker, then taking care of my kid with me giving her money will be extra income. she enjoy her work, most important, I couldn't folk out the money she earning just to take care of my ger. of cos there r pro n cons when sending kid to ifc/cc. but then after a few mth, they r ok when they see my ger is doing quite well. so when i sending my son, they got no objection

ica: the sermon part is so good! nice! i heard St. James is superrrrr difficult to get into. if no connections no need to think liao. lucky you!

Peanut: no connections never mind but must register early lor. actually i was blur about all these stuff till my fren told me that i have to be kiasu. you know when i register? Aug 2010 - i was still on ML. ahahaha. but my fren was on waiting list and she got in. also v lucky. you'll never know ;)

Pat's also good. if anyone's interested, another one you wanna try is Barker Street Methodist Church Kindy. they only accept registrations the year before your child's supposed to attend. Heard it is good too

Come to think of it, there's only 1.5 years and they're off to school! so fast!

Pillow: Which branch of Pat's is your #1 attending? Do you know if all the branches maintain the same standard? There are several branches in central & serangoon which is ok distance wise for me but not sure which one I should drop by for a visit.

I'm also looking at church kindy (eg: Marymount, Newton, Zion Bishan). Planning to start my boy in 2013 for pre-nursery, the year he turns 3. Any reviews/comments about Marymount, Newton, Zion Bishan Kindergarten?

For next year, I have him waitlisted for 2 hour montessori playgroup (Totsville) near my & nanny's place. If all goes well, he will start playgroup next March and by Jan 2013, attend pre-nursery at a kindy up till K2 (hopefully no need to change school).

ica: yeah - very fast hor? now busy researching for kindy so tat i can enrol in 2012 for 2013 intake...so kiasu!

mrslong, are you Catholic too? heheh. ideally i'd like to send my girl to a church kindy. but honestly i dunno what the standard is like. last time the one near my parent's place kenna closed down coz of HFMD [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

actually what a good cc or kindy is good to you may not be good for another hence, there is a need for you to visit the schools, speak to the principals and look at the kids

st james.nanyang kindy all super hot... but then again, if it is not close to your home, then don;t need to go for it...

peanut: Yes, I'm a Catholic [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]. I hv been trying to convince my HB to send my boy to St. Anne's church kindy but my HB who's not a Catholic, said dun want...cuz he feels church kindy CMI.

I told him sometimes those private kindys are perceived as good, cuz of their brand name & fees.

So I gave up persuading him liao.

BTW, anyone knows what's the difference between half-day & flexi care

half day is sch everyday for 3hrs... flexi is half day for 2 or 3 day a week

and i am going to register for PV next year at ai tong for my girl who will turn 7 in 2015! kiasuism to the max!

JP: all the best! so what will you be volunteering as? Spore school system is really stressful man! i'm lazy to do PV [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

yes, so true! if you stay in the east and the kindy is in the west, even if there's bus service to your area, most prob your kid will be the 1st to be picked up and the last to be dropped off. and your kid will be so tired. so kelian

hi vernie, the one my boy is attending is siglap branch, few streets away from home. so by choice of convenience that its so near my home.

Pat's school is not under franchise so i would think the standard is "maintained". but best checked on the net, forums, etc for reviews.

preschool is just preschool. a decent, clean one with a good cirriculum will do (like enquire teacher:student ratio, phonics, use of chinese). i really don't see the need to squeeze with others for the most popular / hot ones. there is no end to this. particularly if they are very far from home.....

Ann: I called LV yesterday evening to make an appointment at 10.30am. Does the time suit u? Hope to see u there! Btw, which was the kinderland that you went to where the attitude was not good?

Vernie: I did some googling of church kindy before - seems that the most popular is Marymount, then Zion, then Newton. Marymount got long waitlist I think so you may wanna try to get o the queue first. Later on I decided that CC would be more suitable for my boy.

Sweetkiss: Any more stories to share on CC? Or tips on what we need to look out for or ask to ensure CC is not just telling us what we want to hear?

Any mummies checked out Cambridge CDC @ Lorong Puntong (opp Ai Tong) for CC? I feel that the CC is not bad, curriculum seems interesting and well-rounded.

I always hear this :

Preschooling is impt as it’s the foundation for primary school. So that the kid dun suffer.

Come primary school, this is impt as it links to the secondary school

Come secondary school, omg, that’s is your life as it determines which JC to go to , which will determine your career path even

Come JC, naturally, its life & death dash to uni

It never ends. The kids don't know what is stress, its us putting them to stress.

Say NO to kiasuism !

mrslong, actually i heard St Anne's is one of the good ones. but if your hubby is really against it then no choice la.

pillow, totally agree. that's why i'm eyeing those near my house. end of the day, i feel most kids before pri sch learn good/bad habits at home anyway. language etc all learnt from parents/main caretakers. just make sure the place is clean and the teachers dont ill-treat the kids... i went to marymount but oh gosh i can't remember a thing about what i learnt there. i only remember we had classroom rabbits hahah!

not sure whether mummies are aware of.

for church kindy and other kindergartens (ie., not CC) , they follow the MOE holidays. meaning whole mth of June, Dec ,etc you will have to plan your own activities / alternatives. not sure whether still have to pay for it too even if no services.

The church kindy my niece used to attend need to pay for only the 10 weeks term fees. No need to pay during school holidays. But I believe for school bus need to pay throughout the calendar year even during school hols.

PV is also not just 1-2 years type of PV then agony stopped.

let's face it. in those hot schools, everyone is gunning for their best. the schools are , the parents are, so the kids have to be PUSHED to excel. nothing wrong with that, you train your kids to EXCEL.

so meaning, apart from 1-2 years of PV, you need to gear yourselves up for next 6 years of primary school, committed to the drill and workload of the school which will excel above MOE minimum standards [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] so if you want to drive yourself, the kid and your husband then yup, the school is ideal FOR YOU !

as for me, i will again choose a normal school near my hse..hahaa coz mummy here , do not like to be driven , nor to drive my kid ... oops.

Bdmummy: lol.. hmm.. I nv really ask, but I was told the teachers do not bother with kids who are crying badly. Esp new kids with separation anxiety. They will be left crying lor. I think it’s pretty normal la because there are bound to be kids crying everyday. And kids who refuse to eat, dun expect the teachers to be patient enough to offer again and again. If they dun eat, they just skip that meal until the next tea break.

Its very hard, the most we can do is to tour the sch, look at the facilities and curriculum. The rest, we cannot control. Can only wait till our kids are in then we see how. most sch allow parents to sit in for the first 3 days. Besides monitoring ur own child, maybe also try to observe the current students.

Back