(2010/01) January 2010 mtb

Lamb - Yes, Bryan generally eats a lot. Teachers in school are telling me that sometimes he can eat double portion if its things he likes.

I have not tried cheese in raw form as I would usually incorporate into his food. I cannot imagine him smearing it on his chair or around the house if he don't want to eat.

Nat is so atas! Only eats the 2 fruits which are not always available even back in SG. Bryan is a fruits lover except for kiwis. I've tried a few times for him, but he declined so I guess he is allergic to it as he seems to stick out his tougue or sratch it.

For veg, I give all kinds ranging from the hard items like cauliflower, brocs, zuchinni, pumpkin to green leafy ones like spinach, xiao bai cai, cai xin. Yes, I stir fry them on own or anything of my fancy but my mum will usually stir fry with fish or meat so as to get the fibre and protein in 1 dish. I just gave him loads of veg over the weekend in his pasta and stir-fried udon too. Veg makes these items colorful and tasty.

dolphin, thank God for sending a good maid...i think sherry's maid also not bad. how are you coping wout a maid, now u preggie right???

jessie, hope you get well soon!!! take care. must be quite diff to manage cos when flu u need to sleep more but yet u need to take care of arwen!

agree with furby, being mom is really a tough job, so many shift... after work my time is mostly for the kids...take them to the park, guide my no,1 with his homework, spelling and ting xie. Thank God for my maid cos at least every Monday I have my "me" time for my kickboxing!

bigfoot,

Those are really awesome sites you shared there. For the longest time, I've been really bored of the things I serve Nat. And sometimes, I also worry when she goes to school next time and she wun wanna eat food from there. Coz' she's too used to my cooking. I do try to expose her to outside food as well. But over here, I am more cautious on which restaurants we go to coz' really ... it makes me wonder the preparation of food.

Hello all,

How's everyone? It's always so welcoming and warmth that we are all still sharing here. Congrats to all the mum-to-be again!

Work been horribly engulfing my life but do keep me posted for playdate and all.

Btw, I was very perturbed by the news last nite. Would like to share this clip. Not to dampen any one spirits but I bet as mummies, we will feel for the girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1euBjlUvte4

Megan

I tried making my own tomato pasta sauce & i realised we really need a lot of tomatoes!

I used at least 10 small ones - and the sauce was so little. I can't imagine how many tomatoes r used in one bottle of instant pasta sauce. heheh.

Steph

is it a clip of the little chinese girl being run over by the van? It brought tears to so many people who watched it [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Hi Mummies,

I'm planning to sign my 2 girls up for Julia Gabriel holiday programmes.

There is a 20% group discount if 4 or more children register at the same time. It can be a different programme and venue.

If anyone is interested too, please PM me so that we can all enjoy the group discount.

Information for the holiday programmes. http://www.juliagabriel.com/pdfviewermm1ab.html

I just read about the girl who was ran over by the vans, HORRIBLE! The news today said she is still in critical conditional. Let's all pray that she will recover fast.. so sian, how can people dun help the baby immediately!

smalldreams, ya really need a lot of tomatoes, but she cook own tomato sauce for HW only, kor kor one used instant..if cook for everyone dunno how many kilos of tomatoes i need

Morn everyone, I caught the flu bug. Was sick on the plane, almost died when i came bk. Saw doc ytd, n tdy still quite terok, taking mc. Buay tahan le, boss sure blk Face tmr.... Will post more when feeling better I go bk to bed nw

hello good morning...

pretty girls and handsome boys in our thread...

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Lil Lamb, Shayne has flu that caused ear infection too. had to put him on antibiotic then his fever subsided. He lost a kg over a period of 3 days. Only sent him back to

school today.

Hope all bubs grow healthy and fine...

So nice and warm to read all the posts here....Hope all mummies, tods and babies are well and good.

I am currently waiting in an airport lounge in Jakarta for my flight home to SG. Missing my hubby and 2 boys....

Megan ya u & sherry are lucky .. .yes i m maidless now, my mum so pissed off & angry with maids that she decided not to have 1 ... yes i m preggy - week 15 - edd 18 arp 2012

Aiyo poor shayne,worse is to c little one fell sick, mummy cannot rest well, care-giver got to be extra careful ... haiz ...

Luvbabe, wow on business trip again ? long time nvr meet for lunch , shall organise 1 if u r free [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Mindy, ur boy can take so much food ah ? hahahah that is good, my boy although keep saying "mum mum" but when u put food into his mouth, he split out ... so angry ...

Hallo mommies ...

It's a friday afternoon and I am bored and still thinking about hairy crabs. Hahhaha. How is everyone doing? Realized that hardly a lot of people come in these days huh ... Mommies busy with work? Travelling?

Or #2s? :b

Anyway ... on the news of the toddler who got run over. I didn't watch the video but I guess i have an inkling of what happened. Jessie and I will tell you, this is nothing new here. In fact, it's something that happens so often, be it for kids, old people etc. In fact, there is a saying here that drivers who run over people in accidents would wished that the victim died instead of getting injured coz' this means that they don't have to financially support the victim for the rest of their life.

So sad right? Lives just seem so worthless here. And of course u will have people standing by and not helping because they are worried that should they attempt to move the body, and accidentally harm the body, the victim's family will ask for compensation as well. Such is a society where every man is for himself where money is God. Another hot topic that has been going around the expat moms in shanghai is kidnapping. Apparently, there were cases of people pretending to be police and then shouting at kids (adolescents and teenagers) to get into their van.

So far, none have been successful but this is a very real issue over here. We hear of cases (don't think it's urban legends) of local kids getting kidnapped and then never to be found. As a parent, if such a thing were to happen to my child, I cannot imagine spending the rest of my life wondering the fate of her. And recently, heard from my landlady that people will pretend to let you smell some perfume or something and then causes you to go unconcious. Such things happen here all the time. In Singapore, of course there are such cases, but kept to the minimal lah, it's such a safe country.

Hence I think when the video was being broadcasted to you guys on youtube, you all were shocked. You know sometimes I watch on tv news, they actually show clippings on how the victim all bleeding and all after the accident! It's so disturbing right? Oh ... and another piece of news I read recently. I recalled how some moms were talking about eating the placenta after birth? Saying it's very 'bu' right?

That can bring to the medicine hall to get them to grind to powder and put in soup or something? Well, apparently, it happens here too and they even sell it online! But what these people don't know is that when the placentas get too popular and there's not enough supply, animal placentas are being used! And this was being reported in the papers here! Scary ... so mommies please, if you are contemplating of eating placentas, please know your source. *sigh* So all these things happen all the time.

Being in Singapore, we have so little exposure and it sure comes as a culture shock to us. That's why I feel that it's really important that I share the right values to Nat and not let her get too localized.

tks lamb for the sharing...really sounds quite scary there ah...i think we are really blessed in Singapore, vy sheltered and protected...i think in china the population is so high they treat lives so worthless...it's indeed vy sad to hear all this things...do take good care of yourself and ur family there!!!

Morning!

Boss is away the whole week ahahaha..

Little lamb> yes, very disturbing scene and no one bothered to even help her.. Guess as mothers, we all feel very xing suan looking at the clip. Anyway, i heard from my hubby that he once has a china worker who shared with him that if they ever knocked down someone in China, they have to ensure the person is dead.. Am not sure how and is its true..

Another disturbing news that i read last night.. 4 students aged 10-11 gang raped their school mate whose only 7 years old in malaysia.. whats wrong with these ppl!!

Sherry,

I read in China if you hit someone, and he is dead, you have to compensate a lump sum. But if he survives, you have to pay for his medical bill for life. So of course, pay lump sum is better choice. Another thing is, if you help someone in need, you might be taken liable for any injury, and people use this reason for not helping. The law is so warped that now after this Yue yue incident, the lawmakers are thinking of criminalising a person if he sees something happen and don't help. Haiz, society and moral is so messed up over there

And whats the mother doing? She ought to keep a safe eye on her as well.. anyway, she's probably better off leaving with the angels than to suffer in pain..

Febie - Hope Shayne is better or ok by now. Hate to see our tots falling sick cos it simply takes a toll on us too.

Sherry - Hi-5! My boss is on leave this whole week too. Clearing leave. Yay!!!! But I have tons of work to clear cos I was on course for 3 days last week....

Furby, Sherry - I asked my weekend domestic help about this incident cos she is from Nanjing and she told me its very common in China. Over there, typically when you knock down and kill someone, you only need to compensate a one-time sum only. She told me of a case whereby a 7-yr old was killed in a traffic accident at her city and the family was only compensated RMB$70k (RMB$10k for each yr of his life). Another man was killed in a further region (which I can't remember where) and left behind a family with young children, but the family was only being compensated less than RMB$50k simply cos the guy who knocked down the person have no money. She verified that the people there are not usually jailed for such crimes, unless the family pursued it all the way and when they stayed too far away, cases are normally dropped so only monetary compensation is made.

Megan - I think it is scary cos the people are very much self-centered as a result of globalisation. We can see SG getting more and more like this with the younger generation too and it is horrible.

Lamb - I have to agree with you that being in Sg, we are not exposed to a lot of things that are happening in other parts of the world. Thanks for sharing happenings in China with us.

megan, sherry and big foot,

That's why sometimes, my friends feel that I'm being paranoid over a lot of things while living in Shanghai. But I guess they do not understand the reality of things until they're here. I am constantly on the alert, especially when I'm outside. Crossing roads here are daunting for me even up till now when I have to stroll Nat nearby. I guess it's also good in a way I've learnt not to take a lot of things for granted. Even when back home, I'll practice caution when crossing roads.

My last home trip, I've witnessed A FEW situations whereby the cars just dash across red light. Sometimes, coz' the traffic crossing is just pedestrians and if the car doesn't see any pedestrians, they'll dash across. It's scary. Yes, life is cheap here. I dunno if you know ... do u know how people clean windows of tall buildings here? Unlike Singapore, where you have a proper structure to repel down right?

Over here, the cleaner ties himself with a thick tight rope and then repels down with his cleaning equipment and cleans. That's why a lot of the migrant workers, with hardly much skills and wanna earn fast bucks, they'd take on such 'high-risk' jobs and also in the construction line as well. It's so sad because lives are just not taken seriously here, despite the fact that it's a one-child policy society.

Hi mummies

can you mummies shared, where to find part-time maid ? i need someone to clean my house during my confinement period.

My mum will be doing confinement for me but cleaning & washin i need someone to do it.

Does any mummies know where to get one ?

Hello mommies!

It's been a long, long while since I last drop by here [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Congrats to those mommies who are preggy! I'm now thinking of having a no.2 but when I think it will be in the year of dragon, abit sian :p Anyway, will just leave things in the hands of God.

Think someone mentioned about brushing teeth? I did an interview with a pediatric dentist a short while ago and have an article on my blog, thought it might be interesting to share:

http://ruthwongwrites.blogspot.com/2011/10/what-you-should-know-about-fluoride-and.html

Btw, has most of the LOs started school already? I'm wondering if I should let my boy go to a playgroup. But most of those in my area are full [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] And when I started looking around for prenursery, those I shortlisted are 'hot' and we may not stand high chance. I feel so disheartened! I can't imagine what happens when it comes to pri school!! Anyone has recommendations for playgroup and prenursery in Sengkang/Punggol area? Please share!

Little lamb> ya, its scary.. gotta hold the kids really tight while out shopping..

Dolphin> There are a few agencies that provides part time helpers.. you may wanna google on them? think $10-$12 per hour (min 4 hrs)

cherrieheart> Haha i am using the first teeth and true enough, i think shernise enjoy eating the toothpaste than brushing hahaha

I am also starting to plan for No 2 in Dec hahaha..why sian? No 2 can go to the same pri as no 1..

I am sending shernise to 2 hrs play group in Jan.. Leticia also attending the same class hahaha..

hello everyone...

back from melbourne and it was so tiring.. unlike Sherry, we were not so lucky. when we arrived at Melbourne, the plane could not land due to thick fog. after some circling, we were diverted to Sydney. we were not allowed out of the plane and waited inside for 1+ hours b4 we flew back to Melbourne. it affected quite a number of flights supposed to land about the same time. can you imagine when the fog cleared and everybody landed at the same time? it took us quite some time to clear customs. although we had express clerance but in the confusion of it all, we were not directed to the express lane. after the 5 hours flight delay, we only managed to have our lunch at 3pm. was so so hungry and tired. on the contrary, coming back to SG was such a breeze. i truly think that Changi Airport is one of the best in the world.

big_foot> thanks for sharing the link. i was also looking for some ideas on new recipes.

lamb> i dared not view the video. over the weekend, when i was reading the paper, i saw an obituary on a 6 year old child who just lost a battle against cancer. i remember reading about her case 2 years ago and that she went to NYC for treatment. so i went to look for her blog to find out what happened. as i was reading updates on the last few months/days of her life, tears just flowed non-stop. she was such a brave little girl. no one deserve what she went through and no parents deserve to see their child suffer like that.

dolphin> i do know of someone who does freelance cleaning. i can PM you her contact.

cheerieheart> thanks for the article. we are still struggling to keep YX's teeth stain free.

as for #2, just go with the flow. i also sian thinking about dragon year, but luckily it's not #1.

i don't know whether i'm now more 'relaxed' because i'm experienced, but i don't feel the excitement expecting #2 now. i have yet to book a CL and have yet to decide which gynae i want to go to. DH didn't like how things were managed at the gynae that i was last seeing, and so i'm now considering another gynae but have yet to make an appointment. sometimes i wonder whether i will love this child as much as a love YX given the lack of enthusiasm. i feel guilty thinking about it too.

Here's a pic of YX 'investigating' a patch of grass in the backyard.

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/2495852/6206192.jpg]

mindy, cheerieheart> catch!! sprinkling some baby dust..

cocomama,

Whoa whoa ... quite an adventure with the airport there. That's the thing about weather, you can never predict and I guess the captain had to be safe as well. Hopefully YX didn't get too frustrated having to wait. I know about the little gal you talked about. A few years back, I was following her blog. The little gal is called Charmaine right?

It's very heartaching to nurse a sick child, what more a child with a terminal illness. You go through rollercoaster emotions all the time. I really salute Charmaine's mom. Hey ... u know ... about your sentiments of number 2, although I am not going through what you are, i do think that somehow, once #2 is born, things will change, just like how our firstborns changed our perspectives in a lot of areas. Am sure the experienced mommies here with more than 1 kid will be able to share with you their beautiful experiences. Over the weekend, Nat came down with a bad cough and fever, we were worried it could be pneumonia, brought her in to see the doc, detected it was viral.

Thank goodness her fever broke already. And DH was not in town, my helper's not around, I was managing Nat on my own at nite when she was waking up every hour crying because she was coughing and fever was up to 40. It was very heartaching and also scary to watch fever so high and watch her cry so badly whenever she coughed. I told myself that no matter what, I had to find all strength within me to care for her because that is the best and only thing I could do for her. But seriously, at many point in time, I was thinking, if I was heavily pregnant with #2 then, how would I find the strength to carry her and soothe her to sleep? I remembered how tiring pregnancy was and how we needed a lot of rest during last trimester especially.

And in moments like this, I shudder to think what if #2's born already and I had to be breastfeeding and couldn't manage Nat at the same time. I think I would really really break down and cry if it actually happened. So really ... I wonder ... how do mommies cope with more than one child. DH and my best friend told me, that when the push comes to shove, you will find the strength in you to do it. Well, perhaps. So yeah, I do give it to those who are brave enough to have #2s in such short span of time because I, for one, cannot see myself doing it.

My best friend also reminded me that it's also because I am on my own taking care of Nat most of the time, it makes it hard for me to want to consider having a 2nd child and have to 'share' the time with Nat, whilst perhaps peers back home will have maids, grandparents to help out. And lately, I've been thinking, there really is nothing too weird about having just one child. I've known quite a number of families who have kids growing up happily as the only child as well. They will still have friends to play with, no sibling rivalry or jealousy. So at this juncture, if you ask me, do I want to have a 2nd child? My answer is still a definitive NO.

But yes ... I do miss days of pregnancy, the little kicks they gave in our tummy, those baby days (yes, including breastfeeding!!!) but I guess I'm just more pragmatic. :b

thank you mummies.. i will definitely wanna catch some baby dust out there.. hahaha

Congrats to all mummies out there again..

Any mummies wanna go bird park tml?

Isaiah loves to chase after birds and looking at them can make him really excited..

Anyone wanna join us?

lamb> YX was only frustrated during take-off and landing as he had to sit during those times. Other than that, he was ok to roam about. in fact, he managed better than me despite sleeping so little the night before.

yes. the little girl's name is Charmaine.

i can totally understand your reluctance to have #2 at this point of time. during my first trimester, i was sleeping almost the entire weekends. luckily, DH was around to keep YX company. i was so lethargic and partly also bcos i felt most comfortable when asleep. i also dread the time when DH has to travel again in future. hopefully, YX being older would be more sensible then.

if you feel comfortable with just Nat, then so be it. it's perfectly fine, and honestly there is no rule to follow on how many child/children one should have. most importantly is you are happy with your decision. part of the reason that i am open with having #2 is that being away from our own family, i am not certain that YX will grow up having a strong bond with his cousins. surely he can have friends, but everyone has their own family. i'm not sure how things will turn out in future, but when both of us are gone, i hope that he will still have a family member with close ties whom he can confide in. plus i am getting old liao... another 1 or 2 more years, i will definitely not consider getting pregnant again.

mindy> enjoy your bird park outing.

Haven't log on to forum for a really long time but so nice to see so many familiar names around still.

Cheerieheart:

Thanks for sharing your dental link. I have been asking amongst my dentist friends as to which toothpaste is the most suitable for our todds and guess what the answers are so varied!!! Just tell me those made in UK are the recommended ones...And like you, I am still currently using MY First Teeth toothpaste for Aly. As for playgroup, Aly has been attending twice a week playgroup since 13mths, which I increased to 3x/wk when she was 16mths and will increase to 4x/wk next year cuz I find her mandarin is just not to par with her English. I guess on my part, I just have to speak more mandarin to her too. As for the hot preschools you have selected, my advice is to do school visits, then u will have a better feel of their program and how they actually conduct the lessons. And dun take too long to decide on one, just put on waiting list and see how things go. As for primary school, my hubby and I are still undecided which one to send Aly too but I guess that can still wait for another year or two.

CocoMama:

We also had flight delay during our trip to switzerland!!! Only found out about the delay when we reached the airport. Had to wait for 3 hrs and then another 1 hour on the plane just before take off. Can understand how frustrated u must have felt. But luckily, we had very kind passengers who helped us babysit Aly while me and hubby slept for a short while. Did you go to the gynae I recommended you in the end?

Lamb:

Hope nat is better now!!! As for having just one child versus more, I think it is a very personal decision. There is no right or wrong. Have a child when you are ready and when you truly want one and not cuz it is just to fulfill obligations or you feel you just need to provide company for #1. But this is just my personal view. In the meantime, enjoy the time with Nat cuz I am certainly enjoying my time more with Aly now especially since I have been blessed with a good full time helper!!!

hi all. so much talk recently. nice to see this thread 'alive' again. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

callalily>yes, settling down le. time flies. we'll be here for 1 month 2moro! weather is fairly cool although its getting nippish. Hubby has been v good with Ayden. Much better than I think I would be!

We do miss the family back home but I really like that we're spending more quality time with Ayden. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Lamb: Bad news.... Arwen is now having a severa asthma attack, pray she will get well before the playdate on Fri but there is a possibility we can't make it:~~~~~~~~~~~~ Now taking care of her and poor poor thing , she cannot sleep cos she is so breathless and cannot drink too, have to syringe feed her milk. Now after coaxing for 3 hours then she fell asleep out of pure exhaustion.. I pray tomorrow, she will show sign of being better of have to hospitalize liao ....

That is why, I am kind of glad I am not having #2. I think I will feel so alone if I am pregnant and have to deal with one of her attacks.. as of now, I feel so helpless liao..

Lsntyl : Glad you are slowly settling down ! Yes, it get colder and colder, make sure you prepare all the winter clothes early eh [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Regarding China :

You know, for the last 3 odd years staying here and the 5 years in Middle East and Seoul, I always seems to prefer to hang out with the locals than expats. It is not a conscious decision to hang out with the locals , just that it is interesting for me to learn about their culture and ways of life even though most of the time, I may not approved of it (ver versus, they sometimes think I am nuts I know) . I hate the traffic here and still do with a vengence, the standards here are just simply not up to par with Singapore and I know the stupidest thing for me to do is to ever try to change another person's way. Either one accept or get out, that is how I see it . For instance I told my husband he is never going to GET IT. His mistake is to think he is better, more superior and he can change his Chinese counterpart at work., 3 odd years later, he shake his head and just say it is like moving a mountain. I told him, he is a mere French pitting against 3000 years old history and 1 billion people, China is going to be 2nd weathliest country soon and what does this tell him ?

Now, this 2 months , my dad is here with me and he loves to read newspaper, so he always go and get the Shanghai Daily. I , I did not even know this paper exist! I do not have time to read the papers or watch news TV because I am always working. In some ways, I live in ignorance bliss, I did not know what the hell is going on in China until I start to read the newspaper. I was horrified. Several times last weeks, I found myself reading and then turn to my Ayi and exclaimed with disgust " why you people like this?" How can you all not be more morally conscious ?? Ayi just kept quiet. I fret, I grumble, my mood foul, I was paranoid, I was so negative. Then I caught myself and wonder WTF. Why am I like this? Why suddenly I am so harsh on my local friends? Why I become so worrisome? Because I read the newspaper. Now,reading it is good as I am more aware of what is happening but at the same time, I must take it with a grain of salt. I know if I say this, I will come across as cold as a witch but after hanging around with the locals here for these years, I really think the little girl who got knock down by the vans are really really tragically unlucky. See , in China, 80% they love kids, I am not joking, They really love kids and I see how the locals here take such good care of their kids, it shame me sometimes. So to have 18 people who walk pass that little girl , it is really astounding because I mean… if it is an old man or young chap, I am not surprise but a 2 year old??? Really really weird.. Then again I am in Shanghai so perhaps it is really an unmoral city in the south. I cannot speak for them but just pray hard this will not happened again.. it broke my heart really as I cannot imagine if it happens to my little girl, it will destroy me.

Then I read about recall of food and high levels of bacteria found in bubble tea, I warn my friends all not to drink, I stop drinking and frown at my favorite vendor, wondering if he is one of the culprit but then I realized if whole of China is to be tested to see if their food is clean, trust me, only 0.01 % will pass . I still drink but I choose the warm ones that does not require ice and avoid fruity ones. But I am happy to chat with my bubble tea vendor again with a smile. Then the placenta, not surprised, these people are so dumb to buy them online, fools will be fools . On and on , the thing is.. for a giant country, 1 billion people interacting with each other, there will be at least 4 billions outcome. The probability of ANYTHING to happen WILL happen. It is what makes this country amazing. Until now, I can say, I am never bored for a single minute. I am angry, happy, sad, annoy etc but not bored, unlike SG / France / Seoul, I was damn bored out of my tears. There are many amazing things happening here which makes me happy to see. I see better service, cleaner cabs, cleaner, food, more and more blue cloudy days than last year, amazing online services that makes me want to cry. I mean I can buy a handphone, an ipad, a washing machine and get this a WINDMILL for my friend just online. It is not the fact that it is consumer friendly as hell here that makes SH nice to stay but the fact these people are learning, evolving, I am a witness now in it's growth. From a business standpoint, I can only stand up and applaud these fast thinkers.

The people here, I am indebt to some, to my friend who is a post office worker who earns SGD 400 a month, his mum on learning I am pregnant and alone here, boiled chicken for me, the chicken, she took an 1 hour bus to the rural area to buy for me. She made it for me every week for 3 months. She cycle in the rain to deliver it to me. Nothing I do can ever repay this woman kindness. My postal office friends, always helps me when I have packages to send and I am too pregnant to carry them I call and they come in a jiffy. My Ayi, I think her heart is more broken than mine whenever Arwen is sick. She is more defensive than me should someone say something bad about Arwen. She cooks better meal for Arwen than I could ever do, My Ayi who rope in her daughter to help me when my work is too much. My other local friends, always willing to help whenever I need them. Until, now, they ask for nothing. In fact I , in turn,question myself , why do I always expect people to want something when they help me? It reflect on me I feel. I am not trusting , not them. I am greedy, not them, I am calculative, not them, I am arrogant, not them etc. I now learn how to accept help with grace and thanks instead of worrying if these people want anything from me.

Maybe I am blessed that so far I met good people but I believe there are way way more good people than bad. I cannot let a 40 pages daily newspaper with 75% bad news win, I must always look for the good in people cause that is what I want people to look for when they look at me. I am very aware of the bad points here in China but I know sometimes good intentions and ways is the road to hell , thing is to have faith and sometimes things have a way of righting itself in the end.

When I go to France next year, I know I will meet with another culture and the challenges, trust me, the French culture is as bizarre too and already I am not agreeing a lot with what my in laws are saying about raising a kid but that is another story. But I be damn sure not to read the newspaper there [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Wow, so many families are travelling! I just came back fr HK and feeling so tired that I took longer to recuperate. But i gian to go another hol again though i was complaining a lot on the trip. Coz we used baby carrier throughout the trip so it was physically demanding. But it din make sense to us to use stroller in HK. Hopefully we'll go another stroller-friendly place for the next trip [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Any recommendations?

But one thing that really frustrates me after the trip is my boy refuses to be in his highchair when he eats. He will ask to sit in our dining chair, but even then, he can't sit for long and is eating lesser amount than before. I hope it's just a phase he's going thr. Any of the LOs refusing the highchair now?

Sherry: Which playgroup does Shernise go to? I haven't been doing much research, only trying to find those near my place, but think now I gotta look for one beyond my estate.

Callalily: where does Aly attend playgroup? Talking about speaking Mandarin, I've just decided to use that language with my boy. But often, I find myself using English again. I think it's true when someone told me recently that it's very easy for the children to pick up Eng when they go school, so we shd not worry abt that. Instead, it's impt to get them to learn mother tongue. Maybe becoz i'm getting older now, but i do want my child to know his roots, and one gd way is thr language.

TYL: I guess it's not so hard settling down in NY ya? At least there's no language barrier, so it makes things so much easier. So how long will you be there? Are you giving birth there and how about confinement? Who is going to help you? Do let us know whenever you're back for hols and we can meet to catch up!

cocomama: catching the baby dust and thanks! How many weeks pregnant are you? What happened with your previous gynae that you dont wanna consider him/her? If you like, i can recommend you mine, which is female. I purposely looked around for a female gynae coz feel weird going to a male.

Little lamb: it's not easy looking after a child when you're so far away from home and w/o all the extra support. It's ok to have just one child if that's what you and your hubby decide on. There's no right or wrong about it. For me, i grew up an only child and was lonely all the time. When my parents were ill, I'm the only one to look after them, so it's very tiring. So I hope if God willing, my boy will have a sibling for support. Also, coz we not close to my bro-in-law's family (can you believe this but my sis in law and i don't talk to each other. No enmity but just don't talk.. can't even remember what happened that things end up like that. Or maybe she doesn't like me for whatever reasons lor), so my boy only meet his cousins once a week for dinner but don't really get to play with them. My side of the family, most of my boy's cousins are very much older already, so no one to play with.

Jessie: I hope Arwen gets well real soon! It's the asthma due to the environment? Anyway, talking abt Chinese people, when i was working there, i was actually closer to the locals than to my SG colleagues. I made some really good friends with the locals, so I dun believe that all Ch people are bad. Anyway, there are plenty of selfish, inconsiderate Singaporeans too. And when i look at the younger generation, i only feel that things will get worse [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

cocomama, callalily & cheerieheart,

Thanks for your encouragement. Yeah, I guess most importantly, both husband and wife must be in agreement to a 1-child family arrangement. DH frankly ... is not super keen on having a 2nd one though the thought does linger when he sees his friends becoming daddies for a 2nd time. But he's also well aware of the realities of our situation and doesn't impose. We dun have pressure from the old folks to have more than one child either. Mainly because my SIL and BIL are very productive.

HHAHAHHA. My mom lagi better, tell me to keep at 1, otherwise Nat poor thing. LOL. And perhaps because of all this, subconsciously, I don't feel a strong sense to wanna have a 2nd child. I mean, maybe a year on, my thoughts will be different. I guess I still have a year or 2 to deliberate on whether we shud have another kid or not.

DH is in full support of my decision either ways because he knows that I'll be the main caregiver so I should have more decision power on this. So yeah, absolutely no right nor wrong and as sp_callalily said, readyness is very important. So at this juncture, I really wanna enjoy time with Nat (even though there are moments she drives me crazy when she's stuck whole day at home with me). I just feel that at this point, I am slowly regaining my 'life' other than being a mom and I do wanna focus on this bit for a while.

lsntyl,

Nice to hear from you! You know ... I went to kaypo other threads and I find it very comforting that this thread is still rather active and just being spammed by advertising. I would imagine most of the mommies having turned to FB liao. So it's nice to see familiar names posting, very comforting. I wonder how is smalldreams, haven't heard from her lately. And didn't realize that today's Deepavali until my mom facetimed me this morning and i was wondering why she's home at that hour.

Hhaa. Hope you're settling good and glad to hear that you guys are spending quality time as a family. This is exactly what i meant before. You really bond as a family when you're overseas because you only have each other to depend on. Hope you've made some friends over there already. Are you guys gonna be spending Christmas there?

Christmas in NYC is so much to be envied. And imagine Rockefella centre, the ice-skating and all, imagine Central Park covered in snow. Gosh ... I really really love that place even though I haven't been there before. Hope to be able to make a trip there someday.

jessie>hope arwen recovers from her asthma in time for the playdate with Nat

cheerieheart>Ayden hasn't sat in his high chair for at least a month. Its still being shipped over along with our other belongings. Doubt he'll want to sit back in it when it arrives though. Nowadays, he normally sits on the dining table chair with us and either lets us feed him or he will try to feed himself. Depends on his mood. Think he's trying to assert his independence. He'll even refuse to go out at times.

hubby and i have a bad habit of lapsing into English with Ayden even after we make a resolution to talk to him in Mandarin. :p

Will be giving birth over here. My 2 moms should be coming over to help during confinement. Hope the weather will be ok for them. Settling down has been ok so far. Hope the weather will continue to stay kind to us. I'm quite worried about infant care for #2 though. Can't seem to find any near where I stay and the waiting list and fees for those near my office are exorbitant!

lamb>my mom also kept telling me to just have 1 child. Would definitely be easier. For one, less money worries. But when I see Ayden with children and how he kisses my belly now, I think #2 will be good for him. Anyway, nothing wrong with having 1 or 2 lah. whatever fits your situation best. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

we should be spending xmas here. haven't made any real friends yet. Just met some acquitances. think it'll come with time. I'm quite anti-social de. :p But hubby is more social so see how lah. He already got Ayden invites to playdates although he didn't accept cos timing was not good. Hope winter in NY will be ok for Ayden esp with the temp!

acutally is really good that this thread is still real active...i always read silently [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Me too..

Read silently.. Hahhaa

always like to read when m

bored in office.. Today Isaiah is not well. Flu cough n fever!

Actually since tuesday he is not well already..

Coz of that m feeling sick too Liao..

Now drowning myself with barley n aloe water..

sp_callalily> nice to hear from you. i've always had difficulty sleeping on a plane. so even when YX was entertaining himself, i still couldn't sleep. i was visiting a gynae that a friend recommended who operates a clinic within PEH. we have no issue with the doctor, but DH just can't take it that we have to wait so long just to make payment. although the queue was so long until some patients have to wait outside the clinic, the nurses were still happily chatting away. then he overheard a phone conversation whereby one of the nurses slotted in a friend for an appt despite telling the friend earlier that the appt for that day is full. when we alerted the nurse that we have an appt for an OSCAR scan in 15 mins and we're still waiting to see the gynae, she told us not to worry because the radiology dept is also having some backlog. when we got to the radiology dept 5 mins later than scheduled, there was no backlog. we were attended to within 5 mins. so everything added up and DH just couldn't take it.

i've made an appt to see the doc that you recommended. boy, she is popular. i only managed to get an appointment 2 weeks later. hope all will go well.

jessie> hope Arwen will get well soon. must be tough on you.

cheerieheart> my previous gynae stopped doing delivery. so, i had to look for another one. thanks for the offer. i think i will take one thing at a time and check out the gynae that sp_callalily recommended first. i am almost into week 15.

lamb> i can so relate to the part where you mentioned that you're slowly regaining your life a little. i kind of felt the same for a while, but now... probably have to delay for a couple of years more.

lsntyl> good to hear that you are settling in well. so sweet of Ayden to shower kisses on your belly. have you confirmed the gender? what about the gynae and hospital? how long is your Maternity Leave?

having travelled a fair bit with YX, i am convinced that he does adjust better than me. expect that he probably misses his cot at night. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Cheerieheart:

Aly is currently attending play club at julia gabriel. They have a holiday program this nov/dec. You may want to check out their website for details and then decide if u would like to sign Kenan up for it. U will have a good feel of their program except that it is on a daily basis and is parent accompanied. It can be very tiring but me, hubby and Aly enjoyed the holiday program very much when we signed her up for the June one.

TYL:

Good to hear that yr family is settling down nicely there. And it's amazing yr hubby Is enjoying his role of being SAHD!!! I salute him for that!!! Continue to keep us posted...

febie - Before I forget, is Shayne better already? Read your post previously but keep forgetting to reply.

mindy - Heard from a friend that HFMD is back in SH again. *xien* Especially now that Nat attends classes, I am more wary.

jessie - Didn't receive reply from u via SMS yesterday, a bit worried, i hope things are fine for Arwen and u. Hope to hear from u soon!

Lamb : So sorry did not reply,was too worried and was beside her the whole day.. Last night developed fever 38! Given her meds and now she is better but she is so exhausted.. I cancelled all Halloween parties for her. Poo thing... always missing out the fun playdates..

How is Nat, back to her old chirpy self [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

CocoMama:

I am the total opposite of you!!! I have no problem sleeping on the plane!!! Actually,like your hubby, I would be fed up too with the above clinic scenario. Hope you like the gynae I have recommended you. It's always very difficult to get appts with the popular doctors. I had the same problem with my gynae too!!! I also can't tand long waiting times so I always ask for the first morning slot cuz I am always 'chop chop'...go in, say

hello, scan and then come out....

Jessie:

Hope Arwen recovers soon!!!

Hope Arwen get well soon!

Cheerieheart> she is gg to talentplus at the CC.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

lsntyl,

Reading about your DH reminds me of 'Parenthood' that I watched. Season 3 should be airing in US now, not sure if you have time to watch. Anyway, Joel, this daddy, quit his job or gave up his business, cannot remember which to take care of their daughter who's like 4 or 5. And he was really successful as a SAHD, from keeping her on routines to helping her with h/w, projects, cooking for her, setting up playdates, and even 'performing' during their parties. I take my hats off to such a dad because he has so much dedication. In fact, in the west, it's very much an acceptable culture.

Over here, I do see SAHDs quite a bit in Nat's classes too. And you can tell they're very involved in their child's lives and no inhibitions whatsoever in mingling with the moms. In no time to come, am sure your DH will be a great SAHD. Reading about how Ayden kisses your tummy sends warmth and fuzziness to my heart. I also wish to see the day where Nat can embrace siblings in her life. But i guess we all have to be mentally ready first.

thanks everyone for your well-wishes. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

lamb>yes, I think hubby is doing a great job. better than I might be able to do. Ayden now knows all the alphabets by heart and is learning the phonics sounds. Even knows numbers till 50 although he still mixes some of them up. his father also trying to teach him 1-10 in chinese. Don't think I can do all that lor. but on the other hand, I also don't want to hold hubby back at home for too long although he's prepared to do so for a few years if necessary. so starting to hunt for childcare which is so expensive over here. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

you might be surprised at Nat. At first Ayden wasn't interested in a sibling too no matter how we talked to him. Think all the talks we gave him slowly got in and now he'll happily kiss my tummy when we ask him to kiss his didi. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

cocomama>confirmed another boy. 3 doctors and 1 sonographer can't all be wrong. All of them point the penis out to us. Even we can see it le cos my boy made it really obvious. settled gynae n hospital already so now its just back to regular monthly visits. Just had my detailed scan yesterday and was v impressed by how detailed both the sonographer n the doctor were. They really explained everything and even gave me free 3d scans of bb.

Back