(2009/10) October 2009 MTBs

Hello..

I am so homesick now...coming into this thread to gain a sense of "home"...also, to wish everyone here a happy lunar new year - may your bunny year be rewarding, fruitful, abundant and peaceful!

Oh yes, and definitely wishing all of you a healthy one too esp for the little one! :D

Hello mommies!! Kung Hei Fatt Choy!! Happy Bunny Year! May all our little ones grow up strong and healthy!

I just came back from a one week trip back to Singapore. Quite an experience. It was raining cats and dogs for the 1st half of the week so we ended up indoors all the time. Taxis were so difficult to find then. My little one on flight? Going to Singapore ok, coming back to HK has been disastrous. He was so obviously tired and wanted to sleep but somehow could not. Really screaming and heaving...had to seek refuge at the back of the plane and stood there until he slept. Well, I guess I have to have my fair share of fun too huh? :)

Too many new faces, new scents, new environment...his sleeping was a little haywire but we try to keep as much to the routine as possible. It is indeed tiring. But I have been very happy to be back nonetheless. It was superb seeing all the familiar faces again. Food was definitely high on my list of to dos...so much so that both hubby and myself came down with sore throat and tummy upset after bingeing.

XoXo : where are you now? How come home sick?

<font size="+2">Hi Mummies,

We have new stocks/design for Paul Frank Pjs/sets/sleeping vest from KOREA... Do check us out!

http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/5082519.html?1297146199</font>

5087399.jpg
5087400.jpg
5087401.jpg

76, you seem to have some v good ideas on what to play with the bubs! I've seen that aqua doodle mat but always wondered how it works. Shall go check it out. Was thinking of starting her on finger painting but the potential mess is making me a bit wary.

I recently invested in a set of toy teacups and teapot and I must say that is my best buy so far! She seems more interested in that than any other toy that I have bought for her. I also let her drink out of it. Her main fascination though, remains with bottles. Drink bottles, spray bottles. I also dunno why.

gal: Me same situation as you. Flash card? Forget it! She will either walk away or want to come and grab all the cards.

glass: yah, hard to tell if girl or boy. LOL

Happy bunny year and yes, all I hope for is good health for all in the family! We have all been sick over the CNY period. Little one got better but is now worse. Doesn't help that she is spitting out her meds. Dunno how I am going to get her to take an antibiotics.

funzee: think the bug is everywhere, plus spread by visiting

I had been sick for some time, but my son did not fall ill at all, until after all the visiting was done.

now he has stomach flu. no idea who and where he got it from. vomited a few times, and had diarrhoea. My husband also suddenly down. Hope they recover quickly.

i have no choice but to put biscuits or bread in the medicine. That's the only time he would swallow them. occasionally will put in milk.

i just realised that i had been a very blur mother. Never bought new teats for him, so drinking milk was a problem. Finally bought no. 4, so he's drinking better. That's after so many months. I hope he won't grow up to be super short because of my stupidity.

Hi hi!
happy.gif

Sharing time..

http://braininsights.blogspot.com/2011/01/brain-develops-in-response-to.html

http://braininsights.blogspot.com/2011/01/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html

http://braininsights.blogspot.com/2011/01/brain-learns-best-from-real-life.html

http://braininsights.blogspot.com/2011/01/healthy-brain-development-occurs.html

http://braininsights.blogspot.com/2011/01/cognitive-skills-are-best-developed.html

http://braininsights.blogspot.com/2010/12/creativity-and-imagination-are-high.html

Currently into this brain initiative and just spreading the word around.
(http://braininsights.blogspot.com/2011/02/brain-initiative.html)

Help spread the word if you, like me (and many others out there), believe in this cause to achieve healthy brain development for all our children.

In the meantime, switch off tt tv, take back your iPhones/iPads fr the kids, lock up those flash cards.. :x And let our children PLAY! :D

Funzee
thanks. i also started planting towgay with the boys...now i get them to water plants every morning before their morning walk. Now their 6 towgay are transferred to pot liao placed along our corridor..so they wll water before their walks. just a habit of watering, looking at the plant and being aware of existence of life around them...nothing academic...just for fun only. u may wana try. i hope to see flower and fruit, never seen before..sua ku hor...When i first did this, my mum say, "what do kids know abt planting towgay?" now she sees them ejoying, she kept her mouth shut

oh yah, another thing i just did, wch i think some mummies have done is to register them for library membership. Each card can allow 6books...so i borrowed 12 books..they seem interested..i flood the sofa with the books every day (i dun keep in my toyogo box till sleeping time at night)so they can just help themselves to the books on sofa or the toyogo box. They can now take the book themselves and read in a corner..but after flipping 2 pages, they bring the books to me and get me to tell stories..btw, all are board bks, my boys will surely tear the books if paper backs. To date, they have about 70 books (those i bought) in the toyogo box. I intend to take them to the library next weekend to borrow another 12 books...just sharing some ideas...

76 > I love your effortless ways! I won't try planting anything soon though - I have black fingers! LOL

famela > Agree with you - screen time is really not recommended. What a fabulous site - concise, informative and I found myself agreeing with so much of what it says!

glass > Hope Elgin recovers really soon. Is he on probiotics yet? That's something helpful to take and can be taken even if he is on antibiotics.

babymax > I was in Tokyo. It was part work part fun though what a fantastic experience it was!
happy.gif

Baby Activities > contributing to the topic here...how abt finger puppets? IKEA sells these for a really affordable price. You can use them to tell stories from books or in accompaniment to nursery rhymes. I also do play sorting games with her. What I do is to take a really messy drawer for e.g. and allow her to mess it up even more. Then sort the items, pack/fold/make it neat...she would usually understand and try to "help". u can also use that opportunity to emphasise counting etc. one other thing i am also trying hard to do is to impart mandarin. unfortunately, alot of the books in the library contain hanyu pinyin which is not the way i thought i'd like her to learn this language. any ideas anyone?

xoxolight, yes, i wana teach my boys mandarin..cant find good books...currently, using the english books and speaking in mandarin to them...wch i find tedious coz i got to think and translate.I also agree abt no tv time, it really takes away the interaction time with the kids...by just plonking them infront and we doing our own work..but if it is limited and the parent sit with the child adn explain, it is fine..max 30min. The screen on the TV moves so fast, the kids wun be interested in anything else u say to them in future, e.g story telling, thats why some of my frens complani that their kids always move abt, dunwan to sit down and listen to the stories..similarly for hp, ipad blah..yes, technology is moving fast, we shld keep up, blah..but before the age of 3, the kids are still developing motor skills, and if they are only leanring how to use their index finger to sweep the screen, then quite constraint on their motor skills, i feel...for now, social and comms skills the most impt..hence talking with the child is impt....for the bonding and comms...

76: wow, you are really putting in a lot of effort.

I'm also using english books and speaking mandarin. You don't need to translate word for word. You can make up the story.

xoxo: Yes, he's on probiotics. He's recovered. I think maybe my husband went to feed him yusheng at a loi hei.

Do you want totally Chinese books without hanyu pinyin? That's the way the P1 and P2 students learn Chinese. I have a set of books I bought for $10 at a bus interchange. The stories are short and interesting, and the characters are very cute. They have both chinese characters and hanyu pinyin though. Anyway, I doubt she will be able to read the hanyu pinyin at this age, so you can still tell her the story. I guess when our children get older, then they can learn how to write the characters.

Hi, thanks for sharing the ideas here. I find it quite hard to engage her at times. Like y'day I was home and I could tell she was bored. Tried to play games with her but sometimes she will walk away. But I did try the towgay planting thing with her, so thanks for the idea, 76!
happy.gif

As for mandarin, mine sucks so I need the hanyu pinyin ones. I got my mum to buy a few books from China with hanyu pinyin. Cos otherwise I don't think I can read them myself! I notice that she is more fidgety when we read chinese books, maybe cos we don't speak much of it to her. Are you familiar with the tao shu series? Think they have hanyu pinyin for the harder words. http://www.littletaoshu.com/about-tao-shu/aboutbooks/book-1-sample/

They are not cheap though and I have yet to buy thm cos I think A will tear them up.

glass
i just try my best only with my kids...nothing great. I have been on leave since they are born, ML, NPL and study leave. Will go back school to teach in May...so will be 21mths then...i really appreciate the opportunities given. So, milking every min of it. But i do go out to 'havoc' once in a while if nt,i wll ki siao...i am doing direct translation..i do make up story..but i find myself going back to English...my hubby supoposedto be i/c of mandarin, but when he comes back at 8pm, they already preparaing for sleep...weekends? He feels demoralised coz when he speaks mandarin, they ignore him..wahahhaha...
Funzee
I saw the taoshu series in spree..not sure if it is too cheem for our kids. Btw, i bought kite, bubbles...will be going on picnic with the kids and go kite flying...they kknow what are kites..but going for the experience now...(papa will fly kite of coz, and they watch)..and get them to blow bubbles during our picnic...does it soudn like a happy family scene in an adverstisment ??? wahahhahaaha..just more ideas to share.

76: ooh, same line. I didn't really make use of my 1 year plus break. Was very busy with my own stuff and studies too.

Now, I just do whatever I can.

It's more of a constantly watching out for dangerous stunts. I'm not alert enough and usually only spot things after they happen.

Just today, I saw him on the dining table, like a turtle, after he had climbed up a chair himself and had propped himself up the table. It's like, I'm not fast enough! Then he walked around a fan, and he tripped over the wire, and the fan just fell right in front of my eyes, and narrowly missing him. My husband was nearer to him, but also didn't see that coming.

I need to improve my radar for possible dangerous stunts.

Plus he can't be kept in a play yard anymore. He managed to climb out of it, using the sofa to help him get out.

Glass
Gosh!So scary!! do u jaga him? Or let him run freely roundn the house? For us, if i got to study, mum and maid take care of them...but one person will be there to jaga..If not, it is me and mum, 2:2 jaga-ing, with maid doing housework/cooking etc.

glass > my jaga kpi also rather spotty too. their reflexes are faster than ours and try as we might, it's impossible to anticipate everything...

famela > same to ana and you! big hugs for her as well! :D

funzee > time for me to buck up the mandarin bit liao...it's really daily reinforcement that is crucial. it is telling when her understanding of bahasa is better than mandarin... we have the yellow col taoshu which was a birthday gift to her from my well-meaning friend...but she has no interest in it.... now searching for a mandarin version of the hungry caterpillar but my guess is that i'd have to make that story up like what glass has recommended.

76 > yeah!! happy family advertisement indeed! :D

xoxo: the good thing is most of the time he knows how to fall down and break his fall instead of hitting his head. But sometimes a few drops of water on the floor is enough to cause him to totally slip and hit his head.

glass : :p zambuk is my new best friend.

1) travelling question:
i know few mummies have gone abroad with their tots. Can share any travel tips or share your experience?

Recently I went on a 1 hr plane journey and it was terrible. he cried throughout the journey. i was v deaf
sad.gif
I can only attribute it to overtired and trying to poop in a v small space.

2) sleeping 'outside'
The recent trip, though can see he is tired, i couldn't make him sleep
sad.gif
. any tips?

hi hi all.
how are you gals?

been following but not posting on the talks on lang learning..
here to share a link.. which might be interesting for soem of us..

http://www.ted.com/talks/patricia_kuhl_the_linguistic_genius_of_babies.html

v specifically it talks about langauge.. the topic which you ladies were on a few days ago..

in sum.. it means.. READ to your bb.. coz they pick up the dosage of the SOUNDS of the lang..

for our bbs this age.. they listen.. at teng's age, they pick on the fonts.. SO..

est: not much worries about hanyu pinyin or not.. just read to audrey the chinese lang.. for the time being..

tata!

glass > yep, the bright side is that they learn from each fall and will get steadier. at least that's how i see it!

rae2 > i offer rice/bread/noodles/pasta (one of these) at each meal. rice has been fed to her before she turned 1 and remains her favourite.

astro > haha, maybe i elaborate abit more - it's me - i get cross-eyed seeing alphabets and chinese script on one page! LOL!!!

gal > oh dear - what time was your flight? where did you fly to? maybe he was over-stimulated or hungry? the poop could also be uncomfortable..?

i prepared for the flight like i was preparing for war. i had an artillery of toys, sticker books, colouring pages, crayons, pens, balls, and my iphone was loaded with tonnes of music! i was also ready to surrender my no-tv policy and let her have the inflight entertainment channel if it came to that..

the flight to tokyo was a 6am flight so i knew we had one up on this as it's a red-eye flight. she was woken up at 2am and this for a baby who needs 10-12hrs solid sleep at a go....for days before the trip, we showed her planes (tampines got lots) flying past, gave her a model aircraft etc. so when we finally showed her the big real plane - she was super happy. we had also managed to resolve her super-tantrums (rem she was going thru' a super unmanageable phase?) and she is now ms super-good girl....happy to take instructions (hope it lasts!) so the flight was manageable cos she got into her car seat (we brought it on the flight, booked a seat for her as well) and remained there quietly thru'out. She slept for abt 4 out of the 6hr flight, woke up to eat and that was it. We didn't even need much of the toys or anything - she just played with her cutlery, looked out of the window, browsed the inflight mags and magic, we landed.

the flight back home was the nightmare. first the flight was delayed by 3hrs. scheduled to take off at 5pm, we took off near 9pm. dinner was served near 10pm. narita airport was such that after immigration clearance, there's hardly any food choices so she went hungry all the way! she was so hungry, she ate up all her portion plus mine! and she was one grumpy toddler..so this was when my arsenal of toys came in. had to play with her - but they switched off the cabin lights right after meal time...so we had to play in the dark. why? cos the delay was caused by the inflight entertainment consoles which control the reading light - and that prb was not fixed by the time we left...to add to the dismay, her tray hinge gave way and water spilled all over my nursing shawl, pants and shoes..we also had to change her poop once onboard...arrived in SG 2am, completely KO-ed...and so was little girl. that's why i am so very happy to be home! :p

in summary, here's my share of "tips":
1) try to create enthusiasm for plane trips..
2) prepare an arsenal of toys, and i mean, an arsenal
3) if possible, secure a seat for the babe and bring along the car seat (I think Dre was sitting in something she was comfortable/familiar with = can sleep)
4) try to travel with an airline that u have frequent flier privileges for priority check-in with biz class/first boarding etc.

xoxo: nicely said!
happy.gif

gal: I think xoxo summarized it all really well. if there's any point I'd like to emphasize on, it'd be abt getting a seat for your little one and bringing along the car seat. Q essential for our little mobile wrigglers at this stage. It'd be too tiring to try to hold on to them throughout the flight.. Good luck!
happy.gif

astro: Thanks for sharing. Timely reminder for me to start reading to big A in Malay. He speaks it w a totally non-Malay accent now. Sad, cos it's a reflection of how little exposure he gets to e Lang since he started school n stopped going to my mom's. :/

xoxolight,
after readng ur posts so far, i can conclude your ang mo is v good....(from a teacher's point of view)....well done...the way you phrase ur sentence adn use certain vocab...

xoxo/famela :
flight there was around 11am.
flight back was around 10am.
normal nap time is around 9-11am.

erm... i don't drive, so my boy has never sat on a car seat before.

i like the preparing him for the airplane part. he wasn't scared, that's for sure. just v kpo. go walk up and down the aisle and disturb strangers.

so far if he 'decides' to sleep he can sleep on my arm. else rest of the time he wriggles until now i have wrist pain
sad.gif
tried letting him lie on a free seat and head on my lap. didn't work
sad.gif

xoxo : gosh, i didn't dare to think of plane delay. :S

rae2 : yes have fed rice with veg/meat/soup as main meal. depending on the kid, some kids like the rice not to be too dry (like our adult version). He likes to eat adult version rice like snacks. But for his main meal he seem to prefer a bit 'wetter' version of rice. soft rice.

this weekend, am planning to try udon :p

hi alllllllllllllllllllll...my sch holiday again hehee finally have time

anyone keen to meet?
lets plan a mini babies outing?
Wkday: who available?
Wkend: who available?

esther:
come join M?we r with julia gabrial evan:p
M starting daily playgp coming march &amp; zoophonic too.[but this part too far for u coz in bp n lakeside wo]

gal: cnat help much,get to bring M on plane

Speech:
anyone have any sites to recommend or disc to get for speech coaching?M seems slow in term of speech,finally mama this wk.

Rice:
M started munching rice since 9 mths during our dinner time.he like rice then porridge but of coz his main meal is porridge todate.

Supplement:
any to recommend?my pd said M dun need but he like start to be choosy with food this mth.

actually i didnt know that our carseats can be used on planes until i saw xoxo's photos and her posts! this is great news..

gal>> belle is into her anti-porridge days. it never happened to us before, started about 2 weeks back. actually its more like she hates her baby food. she is now eating rice and mee sua. ive tried udon, pasta, guotiao, thick beehoon, normal beehoon.. and the conclusion is rice and mee sua. well at least she's eating..

76>> i tink you joined our thread v late, you dunno xoxo, hippo, astro, tien and famela's england are one of the best among us leh!
happy.gif

76 > eh don't lah...paiseh paiseh...there are more impressive ang moh pai here just that they choose to be silent readers for now. :p

gal > prolly timing went really near his nap time. u can also rent a car seat. just a theory..if u sit him on an adult-sized seat and there's so much space, he might be clued to "explore"...but hard to say. these babes change every single time. angel today devil tomorrow and vice versa...if it's a holiday, go with the flow and enjoy!

nlimm > how's JG for you? hope it's working out well. if u are sending M daily, means u are pulling out of JG? not gg for chiltern?

mie > u are using a britax? if so, that would definitely fit cos it conforms to FAA specs....then yr next qn would certainly be "how did u "carry" your car seat up the plane"...hahaha...

xoxo : i'm contemplating to go for a long flight trip. 'very' long hours. haha. stress la. want to go but stress. hehehe. i'll discuss with my hb. got to decide soon :S

so how 'did' u carry the car seat up? strap dre on the car seat and both of u carry ? :p or ur hb the muscle man carry the car seat while u carry dre? :p

Xoxo:

Hehe not bad like the Cher alot , very engaging. Any gd playclub Cher to recommend at Evan? Gog to choose next term class soon.
Nope my mum will send him to pg .m not gog to chitern, need to work can't afford to chauffeur him every day n I find it's overprice more ex then patsch but mainly coz my plan is not a play thru learn presch but strong academic presch for 3-6 or 4-6.
How abt dre? Started w any?

gal > just go for it..choose a red-eye flight, that should work...all their antics are no match for something called body rhythm &amp; tiredness. SF tied two knots and got the car seat attached to our carry-on luggage so it became quite handy. u can also place the car seat on the stroller and push it to the boarding gate, and gate-check the stroller.....see..the logistics macham planning for battle kinda..

nlimm > i don't know the evans bunch...not sending her just yet cos of work on my plate till at least aug. but i would be looking for a school tomorrow - at least three playgroups are all near my home - just the next blk, three blks down that type..so shall give those some thought first. i've called them and surprisingly, they have vacancies (so i am thinking, is it a clue that they might not be good?) ...hmm.. as long as no techno-music i should be fine...*headache*

Our thread's been quite dead.. Glad to see some discussion n sharing taking off again.
happy.gif

Astro's checked in, xoxo is in, mie's here.. Where's hippo? N tien? N e rest?

76: there r quite a few teachers here.

gal: I say go for it. Dun stress. The worst tt can happen is tt u'll haf a lousy time on the flight.. Buuuutttttt, u'll get a hol! (WoooOT! I love hols!) W lots of new experiences n memories to keep. :D So dun let travelling with kids or your 1st experience stop u yah? 6mo Ana survived a 21h flight n did pretty ok. I think now they're bigger, even better at handling air travel.. Go plan for that holiday! :D

famela : i'm looking at 28hr flight. 21 hrs yea..u went to LA? :p how did you handle the timezone difference?

thanks xoxo and famela. haha. if i decide to go, can i PM u to ask for more advice and tips :p.

xoxo>> yup, belle's using britax.. so when we want to use the carseat onboard a flight, we need to consider if it meets the safety requirements etc? but i think the main thing for your japan trip was coz you and SF drove ard, so a carseat was really essential.. i cannot imagine having a toddler roaming ard in the backseat!

pre-school>> am intending to send belle to the one behind my mum's place.. its under carpe diem and i visited the school and am quite satisfied with the environment and the teachers.. most imptly the kids look really happy.

visited a total of 3 schools and out of all, am only happy with this, so partly for convenience, we have decided to enroll belle here.. probably end of this year..

famela>> ya man, Ana is such a lucky babe! 6MO to USA, and you just came back from Perth in December ya? hope next to travel is Belle and me! *wink*

dear oct mummies, it's been a long time since i last posted..

i have a question. does anyone here has a good confinement lady to recommend? my fren is having her first birth this sep and is looking for one.

Do drop me an email at [email protected] if you have any to recommend.

Thanks.

Hi Gal > hope its not too late to share my experiences on the flight before, during and after.

Same with xoxo, I've to gear up and prepare like I'm going to war. And emotionally I felt like that too. There are 2 bags full of knick knacks, toys, biscuits, fruits, ipad, iphone, diapers, clothes, milk powder, etc. My flight was at 8am. I had to wake him up at 5.45am. And of course, because he was rudely woken up, he fussed. But Operation "Get out of the house" kicked in, and everyone were on the go. Gave him his milk bottle, changed his diapers/clothes and off we go. I think he was so taken in by the new sights and sounds of the airport, then by the time it comes to take off, miraculously he just slumped to sleep in my arms. I don't have a car seat too. Then I tried to put him in the bassinet. I think that's a wrong move. If I held him further, I think he could have slept more. In any case, he slept more than half the journey back to Singapore, so the next half was playing with toys, ipad, iphone, walk up and down the aisle.

Coming back to HK was a complete nightmare. Its the same timing - 8am flight. But for some strange reason, he could not nap this time even though we woke him up at 5.30am. Then on the flight, because he was increasingly getting very tired, he turned fractious and started crying. Loudly and just heartbreaking to watch. I had to hold him across my arms in a sleeping position, go to the back of the plane, and just pat him and walk around the little space there. He continued crying loudly for about 15 minutes, before finally just got very exhausted. But by that time, it was touching down. I was so stressed out that he's going to wake up and I know then that if he did, he is going to be so inconsolable. He did not wake up, even at disembarking and I was the last of the passengers to disembark. Put him in the pram and he was still sleeping. (This is very touch and go for me, because he never ever sleeps in the pram). He did, but woke up when at the baggage collection side, and fussed big time again. I was just so happy to reach home in one piece...

Like what xoxo said, I think no matter how much you prepare yourself, really have to go with the flow. Stay calm despite the meltdowns and people staring. It will pass.

Hi nlimm,

Count me in for the gathering. I am easy on the day and time so long is plan early. I can take leave off from work....

Hi Mummies,
I am despressed and lost to learn that Nathan may be suffer from autism.... This may contribute to his slow development.
Till date he is not able to stand on his own, not able to talk or response, no eye contact and worse these days he is screaming at his top of his voice.
I am very tired and I really dun know what he wants!!!
I cried alot these days...
sad.gif
sad.gif
and feel very miserable.....I am lost what should I do to help him....
Recently he dun even want me to carry him and he only wants my maid!!!
He no longer smile at me and dun want to eat or drink milk if I am the one feeding him...
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

Haiz... why my boy is so difficult and he is so different from his sister...

Please help me....

Back