(2009/08) August 2009 MTBs

Mich
ya, pv may be wasted. That's why need to look at prev stats. Altho I stay 1-2km to catholic high, I know that place sure ballot for below 1km, so I don't even bother. Pv is just improving your chances coz some schs don't have clan/religion affiliation and phase 2b are generally quite safe even for >2km. Like Maris Stella, altho >2km, high chance can get in if phase 2b. My friend stay in yio chu kang also can get in. But I not so siao la, it's a bit far. My ils offered their address to use for st Andrews but we also turn down. The one C is going is good enough la. I don't wanna stress myself. Hahahah. Coz he will need a lot of nudging before he will do his work. So better go to a less stressful sch. I think we need to look at our kids too before we decide. Some children can take stress well and highly motivated, then can go better schs. If not very motivated, better don't go those schs that make them study and take tests all the time else they will just be unhappy. Coz children in popular schs can also do badly.

Sharon
do u stay within 1km of aitong? Aitong is very popular. Unless 1km else no hope of getting in. This yr, they have only abt 20 for phase 2b and 2c!

Lizz
congrats! Pei chun is a very gd sch. Then u gotta spend more time on Chinese since in US it's hardly used. And pei chun is sap sch right? All higher Chinese only? Can like pris ask for exemption?

Kiki
hahah, u are so funny! Ya, sending laundry to mil is not an option. I got no choice coz since I'm at home, I gotta do it. Sometimes my stepmom will help me iron some shirts.
happy.gif

Donkeymani
I think some men are just oblivious abt why we wanna do pv. They don't realise that even for neighbourhood schs, it's no longer that easy to get in. U may end up getting posted very far away to an ulu unpopular sch. U can read thru the networking threads in kiasuparents to see how the sch is like. Also pv can help u better understand the sch system and u can then make a choice. I know of pp who pv at two
schools! I wouldn't have minded doing pv to get into a choice sch. Luckily my hb's old sch not too bad.

mashy, agree wat u said. & nw i'm stuck cos my 1st choice of sch doesn't accept PV & my 2nd choice is between 1-2km even i join PV may need to ballot.

Btw, our kiddos coming to 2 all this ground work hv to start from when ah? like PV, RC all these.

donkeymami,
hahah actually i dunno i got time for PV anot wor.. n i heard Nan Hua is v hard to get in

Mashy,
yes i totally agree with u.. dun tink i am so hardworkin so only wan to look at neighbourhood sch but my nearby 1 all v popular...

mashy, saw ur post on FB abt the cake u ordered for H's bday celebration in school turned out vy ugly, taste wise still ok?

I thinking to order from them again last yr was pretty good. delivered on time, no mistake, cake vy fresh.

Donkeymani
u need to work backwards. Our kids will be going p1 in 2016, register 2015, so gotta start pv 2014 or earlier. All schs different in pv requirements. Some do 2 yrs earlier, some 1 yr. And not like u want, they will accept. Some schs will choose their pv. Best is call and ask.

The cake tastes good. The kids finished almost the whole cake and many asked for 2nd servings. Can ask to redo. After I complain ugly, they took back in and redo. Better 2nd time round.

Remember must join pv by 1 July 2014, complete by 2015.

Donkeymani
u should still call peps then coz maybe change principal and new policy. 1km good chance.

A note of encouragement to the parents.
I have two cousins, same age. When they were younger, cousin A spoke earlier, walked earlier, and very smart. B isn't so smart. They went to the same pri sch. A always among the top students and took higher Chinese. B didn't do well and went normal stream in sec sch. Both went same sec sch. One express, one normal stream. A started to slag. B knowing he's not so smart worked hard. End of the day, B graduated with a good uni degree. A only a dip. B now has a high paying job with an MNC while A is happily married altho he's taking a lower paid job.

We won't know where our kid end up. Whether they do well in their early years is not representative of their future. Even if they fail to do well may be a good lesson for them. Having a lower paid job also doesn't mean will be unhappy. But be there to encourage them so that even when they fail, they don't give up. They may find happiness and success in any corner but they will need to look and never give up.

mashy, agree, there will be some kids in those "branded" P schools who will do badly, while many in neighbourhood schools will rise to the occassion and make it to the best secondry schools. At the end of the day, I feel its better to be among the better in a not so good school, then among the worst in a branded school, which will make the child feel inferior. And like u say, its all about the child, whether they have the internal drive and motivation etc.

Anderson is a good choice. Btw, my friend who is a teacher said that the government puts the most resources into neighbourhood schools these days (and not the branded ones since they have rich parents) so as to raise their standards. That explains why Mayflower has a wii room!

Mich
wow! So good. Frankly I also dunno why Anderson is so popular. No one can answer that. Maybe coz it's just near a lot of condos. I heard that they have a scheme that will help to groom the students according to their strengths so I'm looking forward to that. C is not an all rounder, so he will probably benefit from such a scheme. Their admin sucks though, so I hope it won't affect the students.

mich, thanks for explaining...

so it means RS is left with 21 vacancies at 2b... also very scary leh...all those within 1km will have to ballot ...

cloudme, yes, one of my friends is at Phase 2B within 1km for RS, and she is freting big time as she has to ballot next Monday
sad.gif
Are u also keen on that school too?

mashy, was H's cake for school a blackforest cake? The girls told me its chocolate with cherry inside. So I guess its blackforest?

Mich
ya, blackforest. And seems that the kids love it.
happy.gif
they didn't have soft choco anymore and I didn't like the other choco cake. Does ur kids like it?

mich, yes its my hub old sch... so think can make it at 2A2 ... heng i got a couple of yrs to go b4 the need to register my girl for pri.

mashy, can request them to take out the alochol for blackforest? Yes, they liked it, esp S who can eat cake everyday.

cloudme, then dun need to worry at all, sit back and relax till its time to register.

Mich
yes, I requested for non alcohol. Apparently they get to eat cake at least once a month. Oct to dec eat even more cakes and they don't seem to get tired of cakes. Hahha.

mashy, I think the teachers must be scared of cake by now! I would be if I were them. But kids will be kids, and always love cakes
happy.gif
Btw, have u signed up for the baking class?

Mich
haven't yet. I'm a huge fan of the procrastinating club. Lol. There are slots in aug, so I will prob sign up for those. U wanna learn red velvet cake?

Hb says I should just use cake mix and learn cake deco only. He says who cares how the cake tastes, just how nice it looks. I might as well buy the basic cakes from bengawan solo. Lol.

mashy, ha ha, don't think I'll do the red velvet cake class as I've already attended 2 classes with her (2 tier and alphabet cake), and want to move on to the more intensive kind of decorating classes. I really dun agree with A lor... if the cake is not nice, the kids at the CC won't be asking for 2nd servings. But of course, can just buy from Bengawan Solo and decorate. Only thing is won't be able to get the shape/size we want. But if u want cake decorating, consider doing her fondant class instead. There u will learn the baking + decorating in same class... just that learning curve more steep. When I went for my first class, I could barely bake a cake too.

donkeymami (donkeymami)

I heard PEPS is good. but too far from my plc. St anthony is jus opposite my blk. think i will jus settle for tt... nearby is always the best choice.
happy.gif

hw r u mummies celebrating kiddo 2nd bday? i haven gt an idea yet. pls share....

Mashy: Thanks... Will try to teach chinese to her and see how it goes... hard to find chinese classes for her here cos most chinese are from Taiwan and they teach Traditional chinese instead of simplified...

I think exemption is case by case basis depending on how long you have been away... see how it goess...

wow pri sch, i am just taking it one step at a time. a yr ago, was contemplating whether to do PV at canberra pri (the most hi tech pri sch in the neighbourhood) but then decided that even with PV also may not get in and waste all the time and effort.

the best bet will be the pri sch next to the block. er i am just thinking of the convenience esp when both kids are big enough, i prob will be returning back to work or work from home sans maid so convenience will my main priority. does that make me a bad mummy?

i get really dispirited when it comes to topic of pri sch, none of us came from good schools, nor stay near one, so reading up forums etc sometimes make me feel that we are not doing enough/the best for our kids? esp reading/friend's experiences of shifting house, doing pv, q-ing at 2am for pre school places etc .....anyone feeling the same way?

happi,
for her lunar birthday, we bought her to Sentosa underwater world for half a day, and she came back with a fever. on the weekend before her actual day, will do a simple cake cutting with family, then on actual day, bring her for jab ... keke ...

liz,
you are taking care of 2 kids in US ? how do you teach the elder one when the younger one is around ? will she disturb both of you ? i've to look after my younger one, while my hubby teaches the elder one ...

bbmaking,
doing PV doesn't guarantee a place, i'm also hesitating if i should do, shifting house is a no-no ... i believe all mummies have done our best to our kids.

Joeey,

Yup... but luckily, we managed to get our helper over. Plans are to have her here for 2 years then we will cope ourselves. Think i will tear my hair out if i have to homeschool both of them here. I am planning to enrol the younger one to a Pre-K home school curriculum here and the older one to SG syllabus.

Think its rather hard to teach the elder one when the younger one is around, so i usually time it during the younger one nap time. Usually I will try to have joint activities for both like painting/colouring/tv/playing/art&craft... quite nice to see the older one guiding the younger one at times...

babymaking, queuing up for pre-schools or doing PV to send kids to branded school doesn't make one a better mummy. The most important is what you invest in their lives in terms of the quality and quantity of time. The principal at my girl's future primary school told us that no matter what the school does to help the students, kids whose parents are not involved in their lives generally lag behind (from what she observes of her students). So at the end of the day, its really about our involvement. And I'm sure you are doing a good job at that, having made so many sacrifices along the way.

Roslind: I agree with Mich. I think kids are really innocent. What they need/want is just our time and attention. It would mean a great deal to them just by spending quality time with them than to send them to good schools, etc.

I was contemplating PV for my #1 just because its like 2 mins away from my place then and I think I would prefer them to spend less time traveling to school and thus, more time with family...

I am sure you are doing a great job now...
happy.gif

Ros
I think u have done a great job! Yes, being involved in their lives is more important than going to a popular sch. The reason why I say popular is that everyone wanna go in but doesn't mean it's good. Unpopular sch also not necc bad. There are parents who get their kids in popular schs then let them '自生自灭'. Don't think that makes a better parent.

thanks all
happy.gif

my hb so particular bout his shirts...im dont have time to iron it...so tinking send to laundry once a week? but after 1 week then wash, worried the sweat n dirt will be hard to get rid off?

anyone knows of just ironing service?
my frend says she send clothes to her market for ironing

mashy/mich,
im was from chongfu, so prob will enrol ryan there
but hoping get aitong under SHHK as member, no intention of doing PV

Jeni, I stayed punggol but my parents hse at Sengkang... So would see how... I more or less give up on nan chiau... Too difficult to try... Hahaga

sharon
few years back I check before, just ironing only I think the price was like $3-4 per shirt. it's some online shop and they will come to your home to pick up. forgot what's the name already... maybe you can try to google.

or maybe get a pt helper to help with chores + ironing.

bean
i always bring 1 milk bottle, 1 water bottle and 1 hot flask on board. All filled with water. No limit for water if travelling with young kids. I've never been stopped before.

I wouldn't use tap water directly, kids might not get use to it. If LS very troublesome. It's better to buy bottled distilled water

2 YEAR OLD BASH

I checked with the manager at Ridout Mac and she said they can take 50pax... so keep the confirmation coming in!

The place is confirmed and booked.

Payment:
Please transfer $13 (per child above 1 year old) to POSB Current 709-14320-4
and email to [email protected] to inform me of the payment

===============================================

Venue: McDonald's Queensway (Queensway #01-580 Ridout Tea Garden)
Date: 4Sep (Sun)
Time: 5pm - 6.30pm
Price: $9 per child (including 1 happy meal, gifts, game prizes, a Party Hostess to conduct the party and organise games)
Additional cost: $4 for Cake (have not confirm the cake but will collect $4 1st and refund/topup the difference later)

Organisers (I dont know what we need to do, maybe just go book the place)
- kikilala
- sharon
- anyone else?

Accountant/Treasurer
- kikilala
- Any takers?

How is the party conducted?
The Party Hostess will usually start off with games for about 30 minutes. Food will be served thereafter, followed by birthday cake-cutting. Finally, presents are given out

Please also add in another line if you are bringing siblings, even for infant but indicate their age next to it. (no need to pay for infant who cant eat the food nor join in the games). Parents can buy mac food on the actual day and pay accordingly. (no outside food)

CONFIRMED AND PAID:-
1) kikilala - confirm, paid $13
2) sharon toh - confirm, paid $13
3) joeey - confirm, paid $13
4) donkeymami - confirm, paid $13
5) joyful - confirm, paid $13
6) Dolcevita - confirm, paid $13
7) piggytoh (+ 1 silbing, 11wk old) - confirm, paid $13
8) sherrie - confirm, paid $13
9) SL - confirm, paid $13
10) SL (5 yr Sibling) - confirm, paid $13
11) Patricia - confirm, paid $13
12) pegsfur - confirm, paid $13
13) fatBobo - confirm, paid $13
14) fatBobo - confirm, paid $13
15) seeJay - confirm, paid $13
16) seeJay - confirm, paid $13
17) Puroland - confirm, paid $13
18) Joia - confirm, paid $13
19) eboey - confirm, paid $13
20) April - confirm, paid $13
21) April (9 yr old sibling) - confirm, paid $13
22) Reira - confirm, paid $13
23) joy_cie (+1 sibling, 9mths old) - confirm, paid $13
24) Happi - confirm, paid $13
25) Happi (4yr sibling) - confirm, paid $13
26) Mich - confirm, paid $13
27) fluffyboy - confirm, paid $13

================================================

CONFIRMED:-
1) dolliepollie - Confirm
2) dolliepollie (7mth old sibling) - Confirm
3) jul04 - confirm
4) Precious - confirm
5) Precious - confirm (5yrs old sibling)
6) juliet

=================================================

PENDING:-
1) cloudme - not confirm
2) cloudme (3yr sibling)- not confirm
3) BB
4) jagiebaby
5) babymaking
6) BabyS
7) michele
8) regg
9) juliet