(2009/07) July 2009 MTBs

Thank God that her rashes r all cleared now! I think it's the oral med that the doc gave or probably when it hit her whole body yesterday morning, it's all OUT already! Whatever it is, I'm glad that she doesn't have to suffer for another day.. phew!

hi mummies,

wow talking abt P1 enrollment.

I'm thinking to put my #1 in a good neightbourhood school (which I need to do PV, and maybe even go thru ballot though i stay within 1km)

or to put her in my pri school (NYPS) which i dun think i need to do any PV. But the only thing is that is far from my place.. school bus will cost hundred ++ and poor gal have to wake up so early everyday.. what more if they stay back for any extra class... ?? then with 2 kids the cost then will double!! Faint!!!

Re: weight
XR had a bed phase of teething 2 on top 1/2 erupted, 2 at the bottom erupting, 2 at bottom giving her red gums.... so that results..2 weeks ago a bad stomach, last week fever.. her weight as taken yesterday at the polyclinic was only 8kg.. the doc says when she reaches 18th month better go back to check again. sigh.

Sunsweet

guess u will need to gauge for yourself what your gal needs. Coz there are two sides like we see here. Will she in future blame u for not putting her there and thus she cannot put her children in nyps, or will she be tired from all the travelling and feel that she wasted her time there? If your gal is smart, I feel why not? They have stronger curriculum and they even get free violin lessons from parent volunteers.

linsu
good to hear the rashes are gone
happy.gif

A's also another scary cat. don't like those motorised cars.

linsu. you got appt already for the test thingy? usually I never make apt if i need to go kinderclinic. just walk in. But may be for specific things like skin prick test, you would need too. Glad that stacia is ok now. if you go paragon, don't wait inside the clinic and risk to get infected by other child, go jalan2 at metro and ask them to call you when it comes to your turn.
Naomi is also another scary cat but I guess all babies will get scared when they hear TJE talk. hehehe. When I put her on the bubble bath with lots of balls and toys, I thought she will be happy...but she started to cry and shake her head, ask me to take her out!

Dino mum, confirm Fairfield got to ballot for 2B within 1km le. except that year of 2009 only. even this year result: they balloting for 55 seats among the 65 applicant who stay within 1km. I'm appealing for the PV work, wrote letter to the principal...see whether they may need my design service or not to refurbish their school. hehehe...at least try la...if really cannot go in, I will be happy enough to send him to neighbourhood school. The next nearest one is Newton Primary. Or the other way which is quite extreme will be moving nearer to the catolic-related primary school as we have another address in upper buikt timah. but I guess that will be the last resort la.

anyone knows if hock chew is consider hock kian?
we tink it is since it is a subgrp among the hock kian but some people say no... my sis is contemplating to joining the HKHw also..

HBB,
See what the birth cert states, the IC won't state anything about the dialect group... For applying to Singapore Hokkien Huay Kuan, they'll check ur dialect group and ur birth cert is the best prove... I used my birth cert to prove my dialect group is Hokkien since it stated v clearly the dialect group of both parents but they only look at the father's dialect group nia... Getting the 2 sponsors to sign on the application form is the toughest part... Both mine & SC r Hokkien and he comes from a big families with 4 generations... But none belongs to SHHK's member... So damn difficult to find member to endorse on the form...

Linsu,
Okay... I'll keep a lookout yah...
happy.gif

Etirto,
Hope FMPS reconsider again and accept ur PV application... Jiayou!!!

Mashy,
I nvr say I blame my parents jus that both parties have differing opinions... They still have the traditional mindset that woman should not study too much, a diploma is more than sufficient and I should lay eggs asap so they can be grandparents... While me, I do wanna go to the JC route and then to Uni... But I choose to pull out due to other reasons as well, jus that the peer pressure contributed partly too... But times have change lah, now all parents r trying so hard to let their kids go to a good school unlike our parents in their era... I dun wanna be seen so bo chap that my girl will tot I dun bother about her by not trying to get her in a better school... Jus that if my parents put me in ATPS back then, I won't have to think about the volunteering thingy and stuff now...

Oh ya... AC boys r fun and cute, they r not snobbish... It's the girls from Convent girl's schools me and my schoolmates have some problem with... I'll give the thumbs up for AC boys...

HBB,
I checked with my MIL... Hock Chew is not Hokkien leh... Hock Chew is Foochow and like wat mashy says, Hock Chew have their own Huay Kuan... I think it's the Singapore Foochow Association... My future SIL is a Hock Chew also, their language different from Hokkien...

Dino mum

oh well, I had great psle results and my mom still had the thought that I don't need to study so much. Whatever. I still went uni. Maybe also coz she died early so I was 'freed'. now I'm sahm so in a sense a bit waste my degree. But who cares. Hahaha. Oh well. I still wished I had studied harder and gotten a schloarship or something. Too lazy but I can only blame myself for it. Anyway I'm a convent gal who married an ac boy. Haha. Hope u dun dislike me coz I was from convent. :p

TJE
ya tat was wat i was told bout hock chew also.. is a sub grp so i also duno.. mayb shld jus ask the hway kuan ppl haha
cos in the tomb when my grandpa die.. its stated hock kian hock chew...

dino mum
i got no prob having referral cos alot of my friends are member. but i duno wan sign up anot
now my sis wanna sign up hahaa
is thr a hainan hway kuan or sth anot? LOL

jules: I know how you feel, when Max had HFMD last week and started to reject me, I was quite unprepared and upset. Thankfully he's now back to his old self and making up for lost time. I know some kids do self wean but if you're keen on getting him back to bfing, lots of skin to skin contact does help. Kangaroo care. Are you back at work? It's hard at this age to get him back onto the breast, but not impossible. First skin to skin contact, then see if he'll comfort nurse. Good luck!

mashy
i dun quite agree w u say u r wasting ur degree
hehe... i dun agree with a degree means must hav super career! now ur career as SAHM is fantastic!!! mroe rewarding right?

Gina

hahaha. You are funny.

You are from st Hilda what. So also good sch. There is a choice. We also only one choice for each kid and we have to send the kids to 2 different schs. Wish ours were co-ed. Then no need to have headache over logistics prob.

Ironically, the neighbourhood sch that my mom wanted to send me to but didn't get in is now at my door step. Hahaha.

Hbb
ya, just call and us better than asking us layman.

Hbb

hahaha. Sahm dun need degree qualifications mah. But finding eligible hbs sometimes do need that. Hahaha. So even if your gal wanna be sahm, tell her must study hard and get degree then can meet a hb who maybe can let u be sahm. Hahaha. just kidding. But nowadays the In laws also look at education level. Tsk tsk tsk.

mashy
at least u know 'more' on what to teach?
i partly agree about wan find eligible hubby MIGHT need a bit of qualification hahahaaaa
otherwise where she end up working matters too =p
hope other mummies dun get offended =D

hokkien char har mee! LOL
i tink its a subgrp for sure. liek dino mum say we have futsing hway kwan which invite us for celebration of various kind every yr.. so i also duno how the hokkien hway kuan decide if they wan take us.
hock chew is a damn hard language... i can speak teo chew, hakka, hokkien and cantonese but not hockchew! ok..except when scold ppl hahahaaa

tje
ya lor... u shdn't need to worry too much abt yr choice. any plans to move out of simei?

Agree that SHPS not the best pri sch around tampines over a decade ago. But now different they hv progressed over the years. Just make sure she doesn't go to SHSS... kekeke.... I'm keen to send them there but the logistics kills unless there's school bus to my house.

I hear that Poi Ching Pri in Tampines is also another popular one now.

Tje

hahaha! Well, now u have also proven that non reputable sch last time can become reputable. So even if your kid is in some unknown sch, who knows 20 years later, it may produce a few top scholars and become famous? Hahaha. Best still, your kid is the top scholar in the neighbourhood sch.
happy.gif

hbb
hehehe, but I'm sure not all degree holders hb are eligible and not all non degree holders aren't. I think the drive and commitment is what helps anyone succeed. U can see the fire in the eyes of these pp. Kekeke. Anyway, my hb is just a mediocre employee. A great hb and daddy nonetheless.

mashy,
like u, my mother was super afraid that her $$$ for my uni studies will be wasted if I become a SAHM right after marriage... so she rather not take the risk and was super happy that i drop the idea of going to uni... but then, on the other hand I also couldnt bear to give up my car, own income, credit cards just to continue studies after poly...
when i was still staying at AMK, I always chance upon the SNG girls at bus-stop, they r definitely not snobbish thou... those i met are from the Convent school near my sec school, not in AMK... I dun hate all Convent girls lah, kekeke... I only dislike those who have a nasty mouth, jus so happen that this group of ppl r in the same tuition class as me... A handful which I met in AC r v nice Convent girls, I remember some r from MGS... And I definitely dun hate u lah, i know many mummies here are Convent girls also... Mummies from Convent schools, no offence okay... I'm not referring to any of u here, jus mentioning about my past encounter only... I wont stop my girl if she wanna go to Convert sec school in future (but the dad may object coz of religion), jus that I'll keep reminding her not to pass any unnecessary remarks to students from neighbourhood schools and to treat everyone equally...

TJE,
at least u still got 1 very good choice for JE's pri school leh... I have NONE... Urgh... I also envy mashy's kids, both mummy & daddy comes from such good schools which many of us would kill to get their kids into...
I'm also from Kim Meng, SC from Ang Kuay... I didnt know I'm from Kim Meng until recently when I had to fill up the SHHK application form then I started to dig out my heritage... I know nothing about all these dialect thingy until I need to join SHHK then I started to find out about the dialect group thingy... Unlike u, I debate with my MIL coz I tot Hock Chew is also Hokkien but my MIL insist it is not... keke...

HBB,
Ur sis intending to join SHHK coz of the Phase 2B registration? If I'm not wrong, I think only Hokkien Huay Kuan has affiliation to Pri Schools... The rest like Teochew (Ngee Ann Kongsi) & Hakka clan has no affiliation to any pri school... I never heard of hainan huay kuan thou, but u can look for more info in this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_clan_association#Clan_associations_In_Singapore)...
In your birth cert, wat is written in the Dialect column under father's particular? If it clearly stated "Hokkien", then no problem to apply for SHHK member... Unless it stated "Hock Chew" then better to call SHHK and check... The application is $524... Best to check first b4 ur sis send the cheque over...

all these P1 planning sends me to take a look at MOE's website.

can someone enlighten me?

Phase 2A1
For a child whose parent is a former student of the school and who has joined the alumni association as a member not later than 30 Jun 2009; or whose parent is a member of the School Advisory/Management Committee.

Phase 2A2
For a child whose parent or sibling has studied in the school of choice; or whose parent is a staff member of the school of choice.

Q1. What's the diff btw 2A1 and 2A2? Does it mean if parent is former student, they must join alumni assoc or be involeved int sch committee to be 1 phase ahead of other former student?
Q2. If i studied in the affliated sec school. Like that considered under which phase?

BbEthan,
Q1: I think 2A2 means that the parent is a former student but did not join the alumni association. But I am also wondering if like that still got chance or not via balloting, especially for the popular primary schools. It's not like we are the only old girls or what...

mashy,
yes... I agree with u that not all degree holders hb are eligible and not all non degree holder aren't... Unless we deem eligible hb = how much they earn... My hb dun earn much, cant afford for me to become SAHM.... but given a choice, i'll not opt for SAHM, i rather go IMH... keke... Not easy to be SAHM, i know i cant cope for sure... I rather work till i retire than to be SAHM... I salute those who give up everything jus to be SAHM, in my view, SAHM is the toughest job ever...

Graduate vs non-graduate hubby:
My hb dun even have a diploma, but I tot he makes a better mother than me... hmmm...

Bbethan,
yup.. Poi Ching is another popular school in the East... Pasir Ris is also another popular schools... My colleagues fail to get in as their PV this year...

re: Primary school
Just a side note, with all the debate. I think it's good to give our kid(s) a headstart, but in event cannot get into choice school, also doesn't mean child will not turn out well. School environment can help, but it's not everthing.

I am 3rd child, so no priority in pri 1 registration. Got posted to jalan teck whye primary, supposed to be no good primary school. I switched halfway to zhenghua primary school cos shifted house. New school, no track records. Got into BPGHS (pretty decent neighbourhood school), not prestigious like RGS or Nanyang girls. My mother also believed girls should just go to poly, no need to study too much. But I think I turned out pretty decent. No outstanding like some mummies here, but I think I should be considered an ok person.

dino mum
my dh tink im crazy if i sign up for the hway kuan manz! hahahaa

mashy
ya not all are eligible and not all non degree isnt hehe.. i guess sometimes is a stroke of luck too!!!!

lamagier
why 3rd child no priority?
tot can jus go to same sch as sibling?
sorry ah i a bit blur ehre

HBB,
that time govt policy was to stop at 2. My mum got fined for having a third child. 3rd child also forced to wait till everyone else get posting then can get in line for pri 1 registration. I was rejected by the primay school my brother and sister were in. So my mum had to drive from old woodlands road to Jalan Teck Whye to send me to school...

Bbethan,
Those under Phase 1 & 2A1/2A2 is sort of have a confirmed place for their kids...
Eg. School A have 300 vacancies for P1 intake
- In Phase 1, 50 applied and 50 are taken up. So left with 250.
- In Phase 2A1, 20 applied and 20 taken up. Left with 230.
- In Phase 2A2, 150 applied and 150 taken up. Left with 80 vacancies for Phase 2B & 2C.
- The 80 vacancies will be divided equally between the 2 phase. Thus, Phase 2B have 40 vacancies and Phase 2C have 40 vacancies...
- All the Home-School distance thingy and balloting will start at Phase 2B & 2C...
- Usually those under Phase 2A no need to face under balloting, unless the application under Phase 2A1/2A2 exceed the vacancies available after Phase 1 ended... So far, I think there is no such precedent b4...
The difference between 2A1 & 2A2 is the registration time... Phase 1 is the first batch to register, followed by Phase 2A1 then 2A2... Also, another reason is the one mentioned by sunnyduck...
What sec school u from? If its the one mentioned by mashy then most prob it is affiliated... it'll be under Phase 2A2... but better to check with the pri school if the ex-student of the sec school is eligible for 2A2 or not...

HBB,
That's not all. I still have my primary school official registration documents. Had to present ligation certificate and get it recorded down in te pri 1 reistration document... Siao....

hbb
u hv Meetoh, right? Heard from my friend it's good n very popular in punggol/sengkang.

Dino mum
ya... actually tampines area alot of good sch. during my era, Chongzheng and Gongshan are the most popular ones there. Not too sure abt the standard there now.

lamagier
i like yr thinking n i agree
happy.gif

i'm just one lazy mummy here. I hv a #1 to worry abt and yet i'm not making any plans yet.

FOZ
any viewpoints/opinion on the schools around my area? i'm definitely not looking at tao nan cos i stand the least chance in getting in.
i know there's kong hwa (which i rem u saying good), tanjong katong, ngee ann & what else?

har?ligation document?!?!!!
mad mad mad
i tink i forgot wats its liek when my 3rd sis need to go sch
mayb by then they allow 3rd child liao!!! LOL

Prob so. My younger sister born in 1985. Still kena fined also. The 'stop at 2' policy was removed in 1986. Became "three or more, if you can afford it".

hbb,
jus curious... y the sudden interest in SHHK if not intending to consider Pri school under SHHK? The application not v cheap leh at $524... Frankly, I would not join if not for the affiliation...

dino mum
u r all prepared!!
M from St Hilda's Sec. So wondering if considered affliated. anyway i'm just toying with the idea of sending them there. hb not very keen with the idea of travelling to and fro n he doesnt seem to hv a good idea of the sch cos i'm fr the sec sch which is not a very gd one. anyway, the men just doesn't know that much until it's time for them to realise they need to research on this aspect.

for me, i hv to take into consideration after school care. headache thinking of this.

Most popular school in Punggol is Mee Toh, while in SK is Nan Chiau...

Bbethan,
Kong Hwa belongs to Singapore Hokkien Huay Kuan's affiliated school.. U might wanna consider SHHK member... But Kong Hwa faces balloting for Phase 2B this year for those staying within 1-2km...

But we are both not hokkien so cannot apply. that's what starting to worry me already. cos i heard of ppl staying within 1km n still doing pv.

Bbethan,
hmm... I havent chance upon anything which mentioned that SHSS ex-student's kids is eligible for Phase 2A2 for SHPS thou... The one which mashy mentioned are the CHIJs and AC families... Or u wanna check what r the schools within 1km and those between 1-2km from ur home then u start to short-list them first... U can use the Onemap website (http://www.onemap.sg/index.html) to find out the Home-School distance... On the website, go to the 2nd icon at the top of the page and click on School Query, from there u can find out the 1 km and 1-2km thingy...
My hubby also dun care about the pri school thingy. For him, as long as there is school (any school) to register, the rest dun matter to him... I'm the panicky one...
happy.gif

For some v v popular schools like CHIJ St Nic, Tao Nan, Ai Tong, Catholic High, MGS, etc... These schools even need balloting for those staying within 1km under Phase 2B...
For Catholic High Phase 2B this year, there are only 9 vacancies but 48 ppl applied. Then for its Phase 2C, 9 vacancies but 58 applied... When I saw the stats, I was like... Kaoz... 9 vacancies only... Meaning that the old boys have taken up many slots in earlier phase...

Bbethan,
I read from Kiasu parents forum that only full school like Catholic High, Maris Stella, MGS, SCGS, St Nic, etc, former girls/boys from the sec school have privilege to send their daughters/sons to the pri school under Phase 2A2... (http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161775#161775)
So I doubt SHSS former student's kids are eligible for SHPS's phase 2A2... But better to call and check if u wanna consider SHPS thou...

mashy,
in the forum (hyperlink) above, someone mentioned that ACS is not a full school... To play safe, maybe u wanna call ACS and find out more? SNG is a full school thou...

any mummies here can sell me or borrow me the ice cooler box and ice pack? Because i going for a holiday with my whole family and i need to bring my BM and baby food together. TIA

dino mum
not i wan to sign as member la.. its my sis! she stay SK mah hehe
another hot sch in SK is rivervale primary. always need to ballot one..that one is 5 mins walk fr my house!

mashy, thanks for ur reassurance... after 1 day of nursing strike, he decided to latch again ytd, but each time very half hearted attempt to nurse. just suck a bit then dun want liao. so i figured, forget it la.. just express out and let him bottle feed. feel better after seeing ur post and coming to this decision.
happy.gif

jillian, yes i did lots of those skin to skin thing, and brought him out alone so i cld sling him 100% of the time. and yes, it worked to make him nurse again. but cos each time he is just comfort suckling, i'm concerned he wont drink enough as he's not a milk junkie like xy from the start. now he takes only abt 400ml of milk in all per day.. thats so little right?

re primary school - anyone knows if maha bodhi school is affiliated to any clan or temple? am getting all stressed out by the talk of pri school here!

Dino mum

we called ac and checked already. No prob. To play safe we signed up alumni in case they change policy later.

Jules
great! Take it easy.
happy.gif

Back