(2009/07) July 2009 MTBs

dinomum
wow... thanks for the detailed explanation. now i get a better idea. i'm also equally clueless over the phase thingy.
ya.. kong hwa is the only pri sch within 1km. it's true that many students are struggling with chinese. during our era, most of our parents are not so educated and naturally speak chinese/dialects. that's why we often hv prob dealing with English and do better in Chinese. And becos of this everyone place more emphasis on English and end up the current generation struggle with Chinese instead. That's why u can see MOE is changing the chinese syllabus and the way of teaching.

and i see it in my children myself. We speak to Ethan in English all the time and now he doesn't know how to speak Mandarin at all. And when he does, he sounds like ang mo. So now we are speaking to Amanda in Mandarin and she's speaking most of her first words in mandarin. Sometimes she seems to understand us better in mandarin than english. wah... very hard to balance.

hmmm... i was still thinking since within 1km, dont hv to bother with getting in. But seems like i'm wrong, with the SHHK thingy n so on and this year's balloting results, i better start planning and do something. Seems like this PV things have become a norm everywhere making the whole process not so straightforward anymore.

before i was a parent, i always wonder why parents are so kiasu and i tell myself not to follow. but it seems like cannot be not kiasu. the society is as such :s

HBB,
Oh, you moving to near my mum's? My siblings all went to Bukit Panjang Primary. I was shifted to ZhengHua Primary School when we moved from kampng to Bukit Panjang

Bbethan
Re primary schools in the east, the comments I heard from friends are (do take with a pinch of salt
happy.gif
:

1. Tao Nan (emphasize a lot on Chinese and I know of some parents who pull their kids OUT of Tao Nan coz they didn't like the culture, when I asked what they meant, their answers were vague)

2. Kwong Hwa (A friend of mine whose son goes to KH Pri 1 said she is very happy with the school because they are not out to stress the children academically - no homework!)

3. Tanjong Katong (many foreigners so good mix if you want the international influence)

4. Red Swastika (popular school in Bedok, very tough to get in, very academic)

5. Maha Bodhi (also very tough to get in)

6. Ngee Ann (not so academic, all rounded kind of education)

7. St Stephen (boys school so only if you wish to send #2 to a different school, not so academic, and usually can get a place if within 2km, a stone's throwaway from my place)

8. CHIJ (girls school, just opposite Tao Nan, newly built so facilities are nice and trendy)

9. Opera Estate Pri (no one wants to go there, enough said. For mommies from this school, please do not take offence)

There are more schools but if it ain't listed here, means I don't know anyone who kid attend the school, hope above helps! Dinomom's explanation of SAP and GEP is so clear - good job!

hbb, I think MGS is out, it's nearer to coolkero's place. I thought your new place is around upper bukit timah there? It's very near my other address. I was thinking about CHIJ too, but it's a girl school, ya? and I don't want to move again....

bbethan, I was thinking the same. I thought by moving within 1km is enough. In fact, it's not. still got to do PV and all that because within 1km also need to ballot. haiz.

hbb, I also saw that hello kitty kitchen set. yes, UP is $99 but I remember in the last private sale, I almost bought that, and it was $49 (on sale) so now if it's $29 is still cheaper liao. But it doesn't have legs to stand, it have to stand on the floor or on low table. In the end I bought another type which is free standing like little tykes type, $50. Now it's still unopened, in box. I will wait for Naomi's 2nd bday.
Every private sale, always have the Tiger jar thingy hor. the 0.9 litre one is so giant, and heavy! too bad they don't have Zojirushi one, as prefer that compared to Tiger. LIke the one that Dino-mum have, it has a pretty pouch etc and compact enough. Hmmm...may be I will wait for taka sale then (in Oct?) as in future, I need to bring food for 2 kids.

Bbethan,
For me, I'm afraid Gen will be struggling with English, not so worried about Chinese thou. She can understand Chinese and Hokkien at the moment. Not so sure about EL since neither of our families converse in English. Dunno if things might change when she's older. hmmm...
Actually I'm like u also... I also dun understand y parents will spend so much time to do PV, shift to house near the school of choice, etc... Its only recently when one of my colleague failed to get his kid into SHPS after his wife had committed 2 yrs of PV to the school, another whose PV application was rejected by Pasir Ris, lastly another who failed to get into White Sands even though within 2km at phase 2c... Then i started to wake up and began my research. I always thought that branded schools like ACS/MGS/RGS/NYPS/CHIJ/CH are hard to get in only whereas the rest should be okay, apparently I'm super wrong esp when my colleagues ard me proved me wrong when their kids failed to get into neighbourhood school and average schools also need to do PV so as to stand a better chance of getting in. Many told me to start planning early, some even told those colleagues whom has yet to buy new flats to think about the schools nearby b4 selecting the unit. I really wonder how things will change when our kids become parents themselves, will it be worse?

Re: GEP schools
Not all students in GEP schools will get into GEP class when they reach P4. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think only a few classes belong to GEP, while the rest in the school are mainstream. In my own opinion, the advantage of getting into GEP school right from the beginning at P1 is that the kid need not transfer to another school that offers GEP if he/she comes from a non-GEP school. My colleague shared her experience with me, her son always perform v well academically and stand a v high chance to get into GEP. However, during the last crucial paper, he purposely leave 1 page of the questionaire blank. Coz of that, he did not get into GEP since that page carry quite a few marks. When questioned by his mom, he told her that he did not want to get into GEP coz he doesn't want to be transferred out from his current school to another school offering GEP coz he do not want to leave his friends, teachers, etc and he does not want to be feel that he's like a 插班生. His mom felt that its a pity he gave up the GEP but still she has to respect her son's decision. At least he comes from a good school, Red Swastika.
Able to get into GEP is a bonus but whether the kid wants to be transferred out from current school (if the school is not offering GEP) to a GEP school is another set of problem also. At the moment, we would not know the calibre of our kids since they're still young and not exposed to the education system yet. By giving them a good foundation to start with, i thought it is most ideal.
But then, my first choice is still NCPS which is not a SAP/GEP school thou, followed by Rosyth.

FOZ,
wow... ur comments on the schools in the East v comprehensive..
happy.gif

I think Tao Nan is a good choice indeed, SAP + GEP and its a co-ed school...

Etirto,
the Zojirushi jar which i'm using too small leh, its only enough for 1 meal. ended up we often have to feed her early in the morning b4 leaving house then the 2nd portion to put into the Zojirushi jar... but i like it coz its lightweight and v compact like u mentioned...
happy.gif

Some information from MOE website on the different phase for P1 registration.

Category 1: Children who are Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents

Phase 1
For a child who has a sibling studying in a school of choice.
All children registered under this phase will be given places in schools.

Phase 2A1
For a child whose parent is a former student of the school and who has joined the alumni association as a member; or whose parent is a member of the School Advisory/Management Committee.

Phase 2A2
For a child whose parent or sibling has studied in the school of choice; or whose parent is a staff member of the school of choice.

Phase 2B2
For a child whose parent has joined the school as a parent volunteer and has given at least 40 hours of voluntary service to the school; or whose parent is a member endorsed by the church/clan directly connected with the school; or whose parent is endorsed as an active community leader.

Phase 2C
For a child who is ineligible for or unsuccessful in earlier phases.

Phase 2C Supplementary
For a child who is unsuccessful in gaining a place in a school of choice at Phase 2C.

Category 2: Children who are neither Singapore Citizens nor Singapore Permanent Residents

Phase 3
For a child who is neither a Singapore Citizen nor a Singapore Permanent Resident.

Footnotes:
1.Should the number of applications exceed the number of vacancies in any phase, places will be balloted according to the following order of priority. From 2010, Singapore Citizens will be given two ballot slips for each child, while Singapore Permanent Residents will continue to get one ballot slip per child.

a.Children living within 1 km of the school of choice.
b.Children living between 1 km and 2 km of the school of choice.
c.Children living outside 2 km of the school of choice.

2.At the end of Phase 2A(2), 50% of the remaining places will be allocated for Phase 2B and the other 50% for Phase 2C registrants in a school. In the event that less than 50% of the allocated vacancies are taken up at Phase 2B, the remaining vacancies will be carried forward to Phase 2C.
3.Children who are Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents and who have not registered at any of the earlier phases are also eligible to register at this phase. Registration in this phase will be done on a first-come-first-served basis.

HBB,
Btw, if u wanna get into phase 2b via the grassroots channel (active community leaders), u may wanna take note that Rosyth belongs to Ang Mo Kio GRC whereby ur residence, Mee Toh & Rivervale belongs to Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC at the moment. U might wanna check with the CC/grassroot/PA if u r eligible to get the letter for Rosyth (AMK GRC) if u served AMK GRC but belongs to Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC. The grassroots way v v chim, I'm still trying to understand too, its not so straight-forward like PV but popular schools' PV v hard to get in so sometimes we got no choice but to consider this path. I read that there might be some risk if the govt redrew the GRC map in preparation for the coming elections and the school of choice no longer fall within the GRC one volunteered with, I dunno how true is that but I'm hoping that it doesn't happened coz all my schools of choice and new residence in the same GRC...

etirto
actuay i love my tiger jar.. its realy super good.. keep my food hot even after 8 hours! realy v hot one!!!!
i willw an a 0.9 litres lor! but too bad i am stuck w the 0.7 l liao
my gf suggested she buy the 0.9 and exchg with me
muahahaaa

RE: Maha Bohdi
My gf told me when she enrolled her son to MB 4 years ago, she was at the lower priority. She called to enquire PV program and was asked to go for an interview instead, after that, she secured a place for her son. Another mom who used grass root volunteer as her "tool" was only a RC volunteer not in the same constituency/ w/i 1km of where the school is.
That's why she asked me to be a grass root volunteer so that K can go to any school even not in the same constituency.. Rules must have changed and Gwen must have a better "luck" 4 years ago.

RE: English vs Mandarin
I did not grow up speaking English therefore I find it my weaker language. My Chinese standard dropped after meeting more people who are just not comfortable using Mandarin. However, I still find Chinese/Mandarin a tougher language to learn because of the Chinese character which is the beauty and uniqueness of this language.
My point is, you can pick up daily survival English very easily (like my mom who only went to school ONE day of her life) then you perfect it with good practice. However, to pick up and perfect the Chinese language is alot tougher if there is no foundation as opportunity to practise is lesser in our society.
I take Jason as an example, after more than 15 years here, his mandarin is still 1%, if he had been in China/Taiwan where most people speaks Mandarin, he would have "master" the language in 6mths or less.

I value my Chinese root and since K is not a pure Chinese, the more I wish for him to know his mother tongue, incl mother dialect.

bbethan, I think it's suitable for kids 18mth or 2yrs and above. the size is about desktop printer/fax machine I guess. and the parts are not very small that they can swallow. It's very cute lor. But I still prefer those freestanding type, so didn't buy that in the end.

kim, so how? wanna go together? in case i go into early labour there (touch wood!), you just need to drive me to Mt.E and drive the car home. My hb will collect in the evening. kekekeke...

dino-mum.
oh it's too small is it? then I better don't buy. or may be I just carry 2 sets of zojirushi since I have already got it. I bought the 0.9 tiger jar and left it in my in law house back in my hb hometown...

Just opened my mail box last nite & saw Isetan newsletter! I also want the shopping trolley & kitchen set.. Stacia loves to "push" things til now (ie chair, box, stroller). Bought her a cheapo $10 shopping trolley, she pushed & they toppled together!!! It's not sturdy at all!
sad.gif
Anyone own the disney trolley b4? Is it quite steady?

Though she also loves to play with plates, bowls, cups & spoons, etc, I haven't bought her a kitchen set
sad.gif
Been wanting to buy 1 for her since her 1st bday but always delayed..

Mommies, do u notice your little ones prefer "real" things to toys? Stacia has a lot of other toys but she can't even sit for more than 1min to play them! With the real bowl & spoon, she could play & pretend to feed herself & us for quite some time.. For toys that she has now, I think she only likes ball & pushing the trolley.. the rest like vtech ball, violet, shape & sound toys, she doesn't really like them
sad.gif

One thing that I'm glad that she loves books! Thanks to this forum! I'm no reader & hate reading but I don't want Stacia to be like me. So with the advices from here on the open-bookrack & introducing books early, it works for her! Daily without fail, she will walk to the bookshelf & pick out her fav books (mostly Eric Carle's). Boynton & Usborne don't really work (yet! I hope). Etirto, her top 2 books r those we ordered last time, Spot Loves His Daddy & Spot Loves His Mommy. She'll pick the blue one & say Daddy if she wanted me to read it for her. Pink for otherwise. Well, I lose out to her Daddy. She loves the blue one more!
happy.gif

linsu
u r lucky she even wan tp push thg ard..edna doesnt wan any of her toys now!!! she got like 4 car liek stuff for her to sit or push she hardly use them! and yes she love the real spoon..so i gave her a munchkin spoon and she go round feeding her animals friends hahahaaa

kk
i can see wat u mean esp when K is not a chinese.. he really need to emphasis on his chinese more manz.. i got opp problem as u.. sigh

surprisingly thou we dun speak chinese to her, she understand the meaning of 要不要。my mum ask her yesterday if she want yoghurts and she nod... i din realise she understand chinese LOL

RE: toys
Has anyone seen the play food series by Ikea? Looks so cute, I want to get a set (even if I am the one who ends up playing with it, heh). It's stuffed, not wooden.

My boy has a surprising love for stuffed toys. Not very keen in most of his toys apart from a ball, one small fake telephone, and two stuffed toys. He spends his playtime mostly practising walking and transferring toys from one container to another.

Lamagier
The 1km is in Phase 2B and 2C. In Phase 2B, you get the most priority if you stay within 1 km. The next priority goes to those who stay within 1-2km and lastly, those who stay outside the 2km mark. In Phase 2C, the exact same scenario repeats. So first make sure you are within 1km, then determine which phase you are in by either joining a clan, doing voluntary work at the school or with the RC.

How does it work with twins? Is there a possibility of one twin getting in, and the other twin being left out at a ballot?!

Ayuki, not at all. I was at the Tao Nan balloting process in Phase 2c within 1km just last month and there were 2 sets of twins. Their names were printed on the same slip of paper so if they get in, both get in. FYI both sets of twins got in.

linsu, yeah naomi loves those 2 spots book also. I think the color is very bright and simple enough for their age. I guess the open book concept is very good since they can pick and take the books themselves. The next one she really loves is the 'That's not my Princess' the touch & feel book by Ushborn, she will rub and kiss the texture. I think mainly because the book is pink color.

Lamagier, the distance is considered when balloting is required on each phase. so either phase 2B or 2C, if you want priority then better stay within 1km.

TJE, or other mums that use dr.brown. Where to buy dr.brown bottle and parts in singapore? isetan have or not? Do we need special brush the clean the 'straw' thingy? and most importantly: does it leak like the stupid avent bottle?

Etirto

why dun u try pigeon? I'm using that and no complaints. I used to use avent too. Hated it after they kept leaking. Even new bottles leak! Lousy. Pigeon is great. I use the bpa free ones.

Help mums -
My boy is on a milk strike - he won't drink even after waking up in the morning, more than 12hrs after dinner the previous night. Refusing milk throughout the day too, doesn't help if it is in a bottle or a cup or a straw cup. Changed the milk also (had some sample from a PD) and same thing.

And now he keeps waking up at 3am hungry - the only time he WILL drink his milk. Argh, this is the 3rd or 4th day in a row. Anyone experienced this before? No idea why it is suddenly like this. He is not teething at the moment.

ETirto,
I second Mashy's suggestion for Pigeon, cept now I stick with the glass bottles, don't have to worry about scratches in plastic bottles when cleaning. Then again, J has never dropped the bottle, been using them since abt 5mth old, only have to change the teats according to size and can get easily during sale period. The screw cap did crack cos J was messing with it and nudge it till cracked, but I used other screw cap from her mag cup stage1 works as well, and nv leaked on me.

mashy/bbethan. thanks for the suggestion. because my gf passed me 3 new dr brown bottle, so might as well use lor. but I'd need another 3 at least, otherwise have to keep washing during day time...if I mix with pigeon bottle, then I worried the baby will have nipple confusion or not...because dr brown nipple is very small whereby avent/NUK is those wide type...

FOZ,
I don't think he is unwell, hmm, apart from milk strike everything still seems fine, active as usual. He won't even eat any cereal that has milk mixed into it...

Already his paed has said he consumes too little milk and he's already on calcium supplements, also eating yogurt and cheese. She's concerned about his growth, he dropped from 50% to 25% percentile in two months.

Fresh milk! I shall try that, thanks!

hello mummies

my bb has been having this hacking cough for over 2 weeks. she only coughs 4-6am in the morning. in the day time she rarely coughs, at most 2 or 3 times. at night, she cough and cough until i so heart pain. saw 2 western docs over the past 2 months, prescribe cough mixture. but still no improvement. went to see sinseh on sat, only slight improvement. any other sugg ?

KK - welcome back to the workforce. i'm still dittering. already 1 year plus already and STILL dittering. i'm sure actually i only want to take 1 or 2 years off to try out. but scared i cant find similar job when i need to start looking.

bestberries,
your gal sleeps in air-con room? My boy had the same prob last time. Dr prescribed cough syrup too which didn't help. Another dr told us it could be due to the nose, not the throat. we tried on nose drop (illadin?) and he was ok after that.

BTW, anyone looking for full time job? There is an opening at my workplace - HR Executive. PM me for job description if interested
happy.gif

Beverly

I wan part time job. :p. I'm looking to join the workforce next year too after I can dump my gal in a childcare. But probably those flexi work from home type or I do my own biz. Really need the money for all the enrichment and future tuition classes!

bestberries,

my gal same here. she sleep in the air-con room. she also cough for 1 month already, cough syrup also no use, when she sleep then got cough otherwise no cough during playtime. Went to yu ren seng brought the ba bao shan, took 3 time a day, she got slightly better. I ask sin seh she say is cold cough.

hbb, bev, pinky - thanks for tips. got phelgm. sometimes no phelgm, like throat itchy. yup bb sleep air con room. last night she slept in her bb room, not in my room. i notice that air con in my room creates drier air. so last night she didnt cough as much. no runny nose. both western doc and sinseh say its in the lungs. yesterday went to see sinseh again, gg to continue with chinese herbs and massage. HBB, not sure abt the pear drink, cos dont know if cold cough or not, but htanks for the tip

Hbb, do u mind sharing the pear drink recipe? Thanks in advance. Is it good for cough with phlegms? I tried goggle and it's quite chim.

Pinky

like that is sensitive lungs. U need to keep her warm at night. Wear socks etc.

Bestberries

also check if the air circulation in her room is good or very dusty. May be dust since different room she's ok. When I sleep in my son's room, I'll sneeze and have a headache the next day. But no prob in my room. I suspect maybe it's dust coz his room faces the road.

bestberry the pear drink is a neutral drink. cold or heaty cough also can drink. more like for the lungs n throat.

u can also leave a glass of water in the aircon room so its not so drying for the babies.

peanut
giv mi a while i go retrieve the recipe.. in 1 of the corner of the new mac LOL

mashy - oh didnt think abt the dust in aircon. yup will check. thanks

hbb - its neutral ? didn know that. ok thanks. its pear + north and south almond + chuan bei or something right ? i'll try the cup of water thing too.

a few more questions on cough:

1) can baby eat egg ? my bb eats 1 kampong egg a day. sinseh says its ok.

2) can eat biscuit ? my bb eats 3 or 4 whole bisuits a day. sinseh says its ok.

Chuan Bei Pear drink

2 'ya li' the cheapest pear in e market(deseed n remove skin)
15g of nan xin
15g bei xin
10g chuan bei powder
about 6-7 pcs of figs

put everythg to boil for an hour w 8 bowl of water.

its a neutral drink so anybody can drink...

Bestberries
I do give eggs very often to my kiddos - organic eggs from NTUC. $3.90 for 10. However, I avoid biscuits when they are coughing. I think it may irritate the throat but if your sinseh say ok...

I am also keen in part time job from next year, preferably no more than thrice a week - let me know if you have any lobangs!

foz
huh?alot of work? jus put everythg in then cook onli leh

i dun tink can buy it ready made... not alot of work lar
imagine i use to make it alternate days!! but baby jus need drink once a week onli

Back