(2009/05) May 2009 MTBs

mine car seat has (safety first)..its came with it...my old car seat didnt have..so i purposely buy another car seat..so that its impossible to come out...

adv_sports, scary rite? And now she likes to lean sideways to see in between the front seats. Faintz...

She used to guai guai sit in the car seat, until 1 fine day she found out she can wriggle out and since then she just keep crying and resisting when I try to strap her in. By the time I get to the driver seat, she's out! No choice have to let her be. Lucky she haven't figure out how to unbuckle yet...

I saw someone selling in BP once, but can't find the thread le...

jaime, sounds good to have car seat that comes with the clip!

sei, yes, so scary! i was driving on expressway and cannot stop! dunno why the strap becomes so loose that she can wriggle out... i tighten it and she was ok last evening nad this morning...

our babies are getting smarter! yuan2 is very interested in buckles now -- think 1 fine day, she will figure out how to unbuckle
sad.gif

let me know if u found the thread -- likewise, i will let u know if i see one
happy.gif

re: baby sitting in carseat alone in the back seat
how many babies are sitting alone in the back seat?

if i m driving alone, yuan2 is ok sitting alone in the back seat.
when hubby is driving, i normally sit with her in the back seat -- in case she fuss and i can pacify her. with me by her side, she will yak, sing, clap etc.

lately, we try letting her sit alone... she became very quiet -- gave daddy a dagger look like v unhappy... then doze off :p

on our road trip to port dickson last weekend, mil was sitting with her. Dunno izzi because she dun like mil -- she zzz most of the way... everytime she woke up, saw mil, would continue to zzz.... when i sat beside her to feed her milk midway, she will yak, sing and clap happily...

sei, my boy can wriggle out of the car seat too ! and now he refuse to let us put on the shoulder strap..but most of the time i will sit at the back with him. luckily the buckle is super tight and needs a lot of force to unbuckle it...so far my boy still cant figure out how to do it but he will make lots of noise if he wants to get out...i must act like a crown to distract him...sign..

adv, so funny ah yuan2 dont like ur mil will fall asleep one...hahaha..my boy will keep looking out of the window if he feels sick of my mil's voice...my mil likes to disturb him when he happily watching his barney in the car..

jaime, I also thought about changing car seat before, but we're going Australia in Dec and will be renting a car seat, may not have the clip
sad.gif
So trying to find a portable solution...

adv_sports, yuan2 is ok after u tighten the strap? I tried to tighten it, she cry even louder! And still managed to wriggle out. Think she's too used to the "freedom"

Agree that they are getting smarter! And very good at imitation
happy.gif

Esther has been sitting alone in the back seat since I sent my maid back in March... even when hubby drive, I will sit in front. Only exception is when our parents are also in the car, then I will sit beside her. Even though I'm sitting in front, still need to entertain her with singing and "puppet shows", or she will complain loudly if I chat with hubby and ignore her! She's ok when I'm driving alone with her though, just look out of the window and talk and laugh to herself.

haha... yuan2 thinking why daddy make mummy sit with him and not with her :p

zzz'ing on road trip is good! Time passes faster and can rest. So next time must let mil sit with her for long drives ;)

Think Esther is starting to have separation anxiety... she's been crying every morning when I pass her to her caretaker
sad.gif

ur second sis in oz..ask her to settle for u since she so resourceful...forgot u going to attend ur elder sis wedding & ur second sis enjoying her time of her life there..

adv, me letting J sit at the back i think back fire abit..now he doesn even wanna sit to start with....last time, he will sit n let us strap without fuss.. he only fuss like 5-10 later./..

now before strap already fuss...sigh...now must try new tactic liao ..

when v drove bk kl last week v only start drivign when he start nap time..so at least i had 2-3 hours of peace n quiet n rest for myself..i cant be entertaining for 4 hours!!!

sei,if esther cry..what i do, if i will give my son some food to hold ie cheese when i pass him over to the teacher..he is attracted by the food..then he forgot he is being handed over...
happy.gif

but in general he only whine like 10% when being handed over..maybe mood no good

kepo abit, wat happen to ur maid?

jaime, we're gg to rent the car seat tog with the car from the airport and meeting them at the hotel :p Yap, she's making full use of the opportunity!

Actually she only cry a bit and resist being carried out of the car seat, but she used to ignore me when I hand her over, so can see the diff. Then when fil carry her away, she looked at me over his shoulder with teary eyes like I'm abandoning her... feel kinda sad to leave her there but yet a bit happy that at least she will miss me :p

My maid was actually quite ok, but loan finished and she started asking for off day, hp, somemore got bf in sgp. When we said no, can sense slight change in attitude. Since my mum and mil can handle Esther between them on weekdays, we decided to send her back to the agency. I've been taking care of Esther at night and she sleeps with us even when we had a maid, so no issue. And I get back my privacy!

porky, think yuan2 is not used to mil... anyway, we had peace when she zzz on the road trip :p

sei, haiz, yuan2 managed to wriggle out from the shoulder straps this morning! I oledi tighten it
sad.gif
headache! guess i hv to change the car seat...

haha, yuan2 sometimes will complain if i chat with hubby! she dun like to be neglected... but there r times that she quietly listens to our yakking
happy.gif

jaime, aiyoh, so j is not sitting in car seat now??

force him to sit lor..no choice.but i really sense his resistance right from the begining..before that, he only fuss when strapped in the car after 5-10 min...

now when put in already fuss..sigh..i am back to sitting at the back ..coz if he see me in front the more he doesnt wanan be strapped ..

re: baby sitting in carseat alone in the back seat

Me lor! New driver with Chelsea alone behind me. I also realise that at times when her mood no good,she will fuss being strapped on car seat. She is also exploring how to unbuckle the strap too! Let's hope she dunno how to do it! haha..or else very dangerous lor when driving alone.

Hi Mummies, need some advice/ suggestions. We have finally planned for a short getaway with my gal after much deliberation. Our maiden trip with baby in toll.

Wonder if any mummies can help to advise:
1. Does anyone knows what the difference between "Child Meal for Infant" or "Baby Meal" on SQ flights?

2. Can we bring water up on plane for milk? What is the max?

3. I am so excited that my mind cannot think straight on what to ask. Does anyone has a checklist to share with me on what to bring and prepare? I knoe need to bring med but what med?

All advices are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

jaime, how abt wait till he is strapped then sit in front? :p but will be difficult to drive in peace with a whining baby! dunno y yuan2 becomes whiny again after the PD trip...

ilovesashimi, where r u heading? i m delibrating on taking flight with yuan2 for the longest time! After the recent road trip, think i should be brave enough to take the flight
happy.gif

ilovesashimi - where are you going? you sound so excited dat i am excited for you too. usually, they are not so strict with regards to amt of water we bring when they know we are bringing along bbs, good to go back to airline to double check on such matters.

for med, bring general med for fever, cough and cold, stomach pains, insect bites should suffice.

me travelling end of the year with the kids too. tink it will be more trying this time round since the younger one is mobile. the last time we flew, the younger one is still a baby and will kuai kuai let me hold her. i am quite scared dat she might wan to run around this time round. crossing my fingers!!!

adv sport - so far, i have no prob with carseat. but the little one is refusing to get into the pram! she wan to walk on her own. big headache coz i need to hold older gal's hand and bring things out. not enuff hands to use if i am gg out alone with both of them. so i will insist even when she kicks up a big fuss. now our little ones are really asserting themselves big time.

Hi Ilovesashimi,

1. You can find the details on SQ website:
http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/exp/dining/specialmeals/index.jsp

I've traveled for quite a few times with my dauther, and on SQ flights, "Baby meal" refers to those jar food, they will give those Heinz jar food. If they're busy, sometimes you need to ask from the steward/ess. Thus far, I receive only 1 jar. Sometimes they ask if I want some more. But it is not like what is stated on the web, that you'll get one each for main course, vegetable and dessert.

Since my daughter turns 1, I always book "Postweaning Meal". And the stewardess will usually give you the sticker pasted on the top of your seat and ask you to confirm you are ordering the Postweaning meal. The meal comes with 1 main course (could be potatoes, carrots, spinach or beef with potatoes, beef with spaghetti etc), 1 bottle of fresh milk (Meiji), 1 dessert (pudding), sometimes a little bit more like crackers. The main course is quite nice - depending on the menu of the day though :D

2. Depending on the airport and destination. In Singapore, so far we can bring water and milk for baby to the plane, not too much though and as long as you arrange them together in a baby bag. In some airports / specific destination, you are allowed to bring only say 1 bottle of water, but not more than that. Some will allow you to bring but after going thru a security check - either they ask you to open the bottle and they smell it, or they test the bottle with the water/milk on a special machine (Japan), or they take a sample of the water into a strip and bring the strip to be tested on a machine (some US airports). Others will not allow you to bring any at all.
I would say, if you don't really need to, don't bring any water in. Save you the trouble.

Since you are traveling with SQ, don't worry. You can bring an empty water bottle, then you can ask the stewardess to fill it up with water - anytime during the flight - even when you just seated. You can also bring your thermos bottle and ask them to fill up with hot water for milk.

3. For medication, I agree to bring general med fever, cough and cold, stomach pains/diarrhea, insect bites.

Thanks mummies for all information. They are very useful. We are gg to hk 5 days, 4 nights. Cos we have bb in tow and wan to take it slow so plan for so many days. Keke.

Wanted to go hk disney but worried too crowded. Moreover Myra won't enjoy much hence planning to go to more parks instead.

Exactly, I have planned to fly HK with Charlene coming early Jan too. Then to GZ all about 8 days and 7 nights. Pretty long trip but seems like my worries travelling on flight have been answered well.

I have order Child meal for Charlene cos sometimes she takes solid foods from our table. Is this meal more on slid and less semi solid foods available?
Thanks mummies for sharing.

AFter reading the SQ website for the baby meal and wtih the description from pigmohippo, I think I will also go for post weaning meal.

AS for water - I very kiasu one, dare not let my gal drink the water onboard plane. Hot water i am fine but cold water is something I will think twice.

For food in HK, wonder what should my gal eat? I am thinking of bringing the pigeon porridge - is that a good idea? Am also thinking of bringing the jar food.

My gal hardly take rice - so far she has taken 3 times rice - all at sushi tei with cod fish (no salt, no sauce) and Agedashi tofu (only the white tofu side the deep fried skin). I think she can take rice well, just that the dishes outside are so full of MSG leh so hardly give her rice.

Any advise?

How about bringing rice to cook in HK using Tiger Food Jar?

Just use put rice in with boiling water and screw back the cover. LEave it for 1 hr and can eat already.

Bring some jar food as topping to mix with porridge?

btw it is on offer at Taka now.

Thanks Firefly. Good idea - hope the tirger food jar not too exp. Later may pop by taka to see.

We bought some pigeon porridge and heinz jar food and today we were trying at home to see how we can warm the food and then pour out the food for my gal. She doesnt seem to like the food.. eat a bit only then dun want.. haiz.. in the end give biscuits.

Today is her first day eating pre-packed food and my heart ache leh.. no offense, but cant help thinking that that these food are unhealthy leh..

I wonder how I can survive with her eating these for 4 days. I tasted them - not very nice also.. the fried rice is niam niam (sticky) one.. See already super not appetising.. faint.

ilovesashimi - i brought my older gal to hk when she's 1+. for food, i brought along jar food. usually, i will order plain white porridge then pour the jar food in. if your kid takes table food, you should have lots of options there. i find dat hk is not stroller friendly so you might wan to take note of dat. and many places do not have diaper changing facilities, so good to pack more pull ups rather than the open diapers. easier when doing diaper changes. hope this helps.

hi mummies out there,

i hv a son who is born in May 2009. he is abt 17 mths now. however, he still doesn't know how to call mummy & daddy. he only knows how to say words like "no more", fish, bird. few words only. I am kinda quite worry about his speech.

does anyone out there with a 17-mth kid who doesn't know how to call mummy or daddy at this age?

Taurus

My boy 17months too till now only know how to call yiyi and papa.. still dunno how to call mama or any other words yet so dun worry.. i got cousins whom learn to talk after 18months too

Re: Car Seat
My daughter usually will sit in her car seat. Unless in a bad mood. Then I will have to carry her while I'm belted. 5 point harness seat belt can wiggle out?

Re: Flying Overseas
Just came back from Bali last week. My daughter refused to eat the jarred food I brought. Would only eat tomatoes, cucumbers, fruits, occasionally some rice or bread. She was very irritable there, crying alot even if only changing diaper. She was running a fever the day we flew off till the next day. The night before our return both she n I caught flu. Now still recovering.

My 17 month daughter now can say mama, dada, up, baby, apple, beep. She will say 'wa!' when she sees something she likes. She understands what I say, can imitate dog and cat sounds. She uses some finger actions.

Yesterday the fish soup stall uncle say kids nowadays very smart.

Hi taurus,

Don't worry too much. My hubby's nephew could only "ah ah ah" at 2 years, don't even wanna say papa, mama, but he could point to what he wants and have good eye contact. Boys tend to develop slower than girls in terms of speech but more developed in terms of physical and motor skills. i read from dunno which thread (jan or march 2009 mums) that a boy only know a few words then suddenly he starts to speak in complete sentences. Continue to encourage him by talking to him and sing songs.

Re: Going overseas (meal ideas)
ilovesashimi, you can try ordering plain porridge and add your own "leow" in. For my recent road trip with a couple of mummies here, we brought our own thermos and tabao-ed the plain porridge from the breakfast and add in egg yolk from hard boiled egg and some veggie for the kids' lunch. my mum v kiasu, scared her granddaughter nothing to eat, even packed for me grind ikan bilis, tell me can just add in plain porridge to feed.
one of us bought the porridge instant meal and find it too "liquid" and added rice to it.
Just to note, since you're gg HK, that their "sheng yu" (fish) porridge has LOTS of bones so don't try to feed that to your girl..

Re: Going overseas (bring water on flight)
I think u should have no problem bringing hot water onto the plane. I managed to bring hot water + a small flask of water onto my flight from SG to HK. From HK, as long as you are not gg US, they will not pour away ur water. They're super strict with their checks on ppl flying to US. If u're flying SQ, I think can ask them for bottled water.

Re: Going overseas (meals on board)
I ordered child's meal the last time when we flew (my girl was 13months then). basically, my hubby and i ate most of the child's meal. hahahah.. SG to HK still a reasonably short flight so can bring bread for her to eat on flight then find something proper for her to eat later. Rem to bring some of her favorite snacks.

Oh, pls bring ur baby to see the PD/GP to get the necessary meds before flying. the doc will know what you need.

have fun in HK!
happy.gif

wow, seems like a lot of mummies alrdy brought their toddlers to trip ! we haven tried tt yet..cos hb & mil worried tt our boy could not adapt to it, cant eat, cant drink, fall sick...things like dat...and he will get cranky most of the time..so looks like we only gg for a trip when he is almost 2yrs old bah...

Porky,

I also dun dare to bring my boy for any trip yet. I don't even dare to bring him out alone. I always hv either my hubby or mum with me whenever I bring my boy out. Planning to bring him for a cruise or to bali sometime during his 2nd bday. But I kinda dread the thought bcos he's a very fussy boy. Bringing him to shopping malls are already a headache sometimes... but come to think of it. Dunno whether he's the fussy one or me.

Anyone hvnt brought your child for MMR? I've been trying to delay it for as long as I can... but will prob bring him for the jab in a month's time.

first_born, i can bring my boy out shopping alone...but he easily cranky n likes to throw tantrums..sometimes i cant handle him alone too..so for overseas trip, my hb say is best to wait till he is 2...else both of us might ending up quarrelling during the trip which i think is quite true loh..

i haven bgt my boy for mmr yet..will wait till mid Nov then bring him to tk..btw, he jus taken chix pox jap 2 weeks ago

wah, SQ got meal for baby? applicable for infant fare? the other time when i went to bkk i didnt get any meals to choose for hailey!! took thai airways, did i get cheated?!!

re: water/milk on board
tt time i was still pumping so i brgt ebm on flight. they didnt check n didnt bother abt it too (i was holding a full feed of 150ml in my hand).

re: diapers
i brgt a mix of open diapers and pull ups. when i leave the hotel, will let her wear open diaper, in public when shopping halfway, i jus change to pull ups. lazy to find nursing rm. bkk hard to find esp since we're not usually in the shopping malls.

porky: iniatially i was afriad hailey cldnt adapt too. but ahhhh, i jus heck it and tried my best to gif her nap and meals on time. she slept real late for the 3-4 nites i was in bkk, meal timings were ok. but when we got bk to sg, she was ok aft 2-3days. =)

im actually really keen to bring hailey on another trip soon, but dunno whr to go lei. wld prefer to bring her when she has stopped this batch of teething. she's been rejecting food since last wk and munching on her fingers. @_@.

jamie,
ya, SQ hv baby meals, maybe thai airways dun hv?
we paid total of $78.40 (ticket prx + carrier surcharge)
ya, postweaning meal consist of pkt milk, main course (seafood porridge) & dessert (pudding). think baby meal is jar food?

i brought a child water bottle 200ml on board, declare is for bb, they ok wif it.

vietnam also no bb room. i will find a sofa inside shopping ctr (confirm have de) & chg my gal thr wif pull-ups too. ask the ppl abt bb room, all look blur & point me to toilet ;p

hehe... whn we went on 6d5n malaysia driving trip, we worry so much abt my gal. in the end, she adapt as if at home. hahaha!

re: travel wi baby,

we going to Jeju for holiday end October.. An An will be about 17mth then.. he's quite an easy baby so im not so worry and it's only a 2hours flight so i guess he will still behave on flight, it's my elder boy who i scared of! he's 3 yo and super active!!! gonna bring a varieties of toys to keep them entertained!

same as jamie & juju's girl, my lil boy adapts well when we travel around.. at most timing abit haywire, but things will resume to norm after a few days back from holiday.. so porky, dun worry much! just plan a shorter flight holiday, he may surprise u by being very cooperative coz he knows he's going for holiday!
happy.gif

mummies who travel wi bb,
what sort of foods u feeding bb?
previously we travelled to places like SG, Msia & HK, so no problem finding suitable food for babies.. but this time round to korea, im abit worried.. im thinking to buy those pre-packed instant toddler food but not sure he's receptive towards it or not.. and worse still, he dun eat snacks like biscuits.. but a fruit lovers, im thinking to bring some fruits over also..

btw, anyone travelled with Korean Air b4? how's the experience?

morning mummies

wow all this travelling talk makes me want to fly with my gal! thinking of gg malacca for a short trip first. however is it advisable to bring helper along? dangerous or not?

jamie, we are planning a trip to bkk also...but will be next yr le..

dodo, i hope he can behave better first..else bring him for travel really is a headache

Thanks so much again to so many mummies providing valuable advices. Re porridge in hk - is it really plain porridge or u think there would be MSG? Good idea abt pull ups but any mummies have suggestion which brand can hold most water? My gal peed Alot and I tried Huggies and mamipoko but both brands give her a bit of rAsh when used for 3 hrs meaning hve to change very often.

Btw when using pull ups, do u still put diaper cream? Won't it be troublesome to apply when standing up? Paiseh for asking such silly questions.

win,
malacca not dangerous, but jus nid to be careful.

dodo,
i pack jar foods, instant porridge & pigeon ready to eat rice/porridge, & snacks like yoghurt melts & puffs. i also buy bottled water for my gal to drink & clean her mouth.

ilovesashimi,
how abt drypers pullups? actually i change my gal every 3 hrs if i remember or i happen to feel her butt, dat's the optimum time gap to change w/o kena rashes. if the changing area is clean & we r not in a rush, i will apply some diaper cream, else i jus skip it

Ilovesashimi: dun use the value pants? The normal ones hold up better. If u hv a rash problem then changing diaper often wld b a better idea. I also brgt a diaper spray along. Jus spray n pat on diaper area. No hassle. Heals cuts n soothes redness too.

Dodo: I took asiana air when I went to Korea. I Rmb they offer bibimbab n another meal. Ling is rite, foods there are v typical Korean. But they hv ginseng chix soup n rice. Which wld prob b more suitable than kimchi la. Lol!

ilovesashimi, my boy also pee quite a lot...huggies gets super heavy when full...now i let him use drypers drypants but 3hrs i need to chg him also...he got sensitive skin and gets rash easily. if at outside usually i wont apply any cream, but i will sprinkle some bb powder on his butt

tiny m..must bring to pD/GP before fly..i flying this sat...i tot jsut bring his paracetamol in case fever..the rest i wont be bring...wat did u bring whne u went US?

ling lim, juju & jamie,

thanks for the replies! ya, that's what i worried abt.. very KIM CHI food.. though i love it very much.. hee :p
i guess no choice liao, have to give pigeon instant porridge a try now.. wonder is western food common over there at Jeju.. if so then maybe pasta is good, but again, he dun really fancy that as well.. im now pondering should i bring along a small auto-cooker for porridge.. but seems abit kua-zhang loh..

mummies travel wi SQ:
dun worry much abt the meals, their post-weaning meals are not that bad.. and u can request for wet tissue & bibs from them as well..

btw mummies, do you buy a child seat/ infant seat for ur lil ones? i remember i got a child seat for my elder one when he was ard 20months, coz bassinet was too small for him.. im wondering can my younger boy squeeze into a bassinet this time round, he's going to be 17mth but weighing close to 14kg and 86cm tall.. and i dun think he will want to rest in there, sure end up on my lap..

dodo: 14kg cannot le.. think they rejected my request when i requested for hailey, saying that she's too big/ long or wat la. (thai attendant speaking there) wah ur boy v big n tall!! i rmb seeing him when he was a day or 2 days old?? =)
re:korean food
u have rice to fall bk on.. it's the "leow" that u dun hv.. unless u eat soupy stuff ba? else mostly is bibimbab, bulgogi, bbq..

Ju > I let Charlene tried the pigeon instant porridge - white fish and some carrots/potatoes flavour (not the scallop and seafood type) and she rejected totally. Wanna let her have a feel before we bring more. Did Jodie reject that flavour too? Or she is better with the scallop and seafood flavour?

Thou HK and GZ may not have much problems for baby foods still flying with Charlene is the first time so pretty much a concern now.

Which is the instant porridge that you have let Jodie tried out?

from SIA:
The dimensions of the bassinets are 768 L x 298 W x 158 H (mm). Bassinets can support a maximum weight of 14kg.

sk,
think i have jodie the fishy ones, cos so far she nvr reject fish. the other one she's ok wif is scallop flavour.
if charlene had nvr had instant food before, she might hv a problem adapting to the taste. jus give her once in a while to test her response again.
instant porridge, she has bellamy de. but now she dun like le. u wanna take over?
other than dat, i brought jar food over wif some melts & puffs. i realise vietnam has, but more ex

Back