(2008/09) Sep 2008

Hi Hi!

haha Sarahmay, if you notice, my long posts are during unearthly hours while pumping! And thank God got my cousin's helper transferred so like when I'm pumping now, she is showing flashcards and reading to lil s!

ya honestly i'm scared I get sucked into the program n become rigid. Already i find more pleasure on the net reading up and discussing methods to harness potential than the actual thing! such a horrid hands off mummy right? i feel so bad...

k, to help mummies save money, here is what I gathered from my trip to the GD shop during lunch:

general - do 5 cards a day for a week for each (eng/ ch/ math). Do max twice a day for same set of cards. change (remove and replace 1 card) per week for each series.

math - Show dots only n read out the quantity. Finish 0-100 dots 1st. Then do equations with dots. After this then comes associating dots with the actual numbers. lastly numbers n equations (by then prob 1-2 yrs old).

Sounds stressful heh? I am reminding myself do it only if lil s is interested, yes do the ACS motto!!!
happy.gif
if she is not interested just stop. also like kym mentioned no foolproof method. this does not teach counting per se.

anyway Kym.. kudos, tks for sharing on 3 babies! totally agree abt culture n environment playing a crucial role... thats y mummies talking n reading to babies is a great way to stimulate n engage them! again it is nature that plays the dominant role i.e. genes n nurture (environ) that builds on it... so many studies on this! i also want sensory, fun learning thru play! But no garage, garden etc!! so fun you know when i read karen's blog.. www.karencheng.com.au where she plants lettuce n tomato in her gdn n prune with her kids or when her hubby n son gathered bicycle scraps n rebuilt a new bike together. to me, these replaces all methodologies!! practical hands on learning
happy.gif

making own flashcards - sarahmay cool! actually just need to find nice image paste on powerpoint for 1 slide. another slide the word for it (for our ref, not to be shown to baby yet). When I'm done i send to you n we can exchange ya?
happy.gif

btw, I had NO IDEA that the jabs are so costly!! Just brought lil s to PD for 5-in-1 plus roto and pneu.. cost $400 plus! Understand got another round next month, another $400 plus? Whoa govt better reimburse more for baby making!!!!

Update, lil S really quite little.. only 5.7kg at 3 months.. 50 percentile.. also needs MORE tummy time man!

MILs - even my helper commented that my in-laws are super fussy and overly protective over baby. Chide us for so many small minute things like (why is baby bottomless at home, cannot wear diapers only, must wear shorts..) Must cover bouncers/ playpen with plastic bag if not dusty, must leave washed but not yet sterilised bottles away from empty sink (coz sink in general is used for meats), must clean the exterior of the bottle once baby finishes drinking before putting it back into bag, must give her WATER!! list is endless.. plus they watch channel 55 whole day.. hope the background drone of mandarin serials will help her mandarin!!!) oh and after 1st month party and our gathering - must sterilise toilet bowl, wash all fabric surfaces, dettol all the toys.. after swimming must wear thick fleece sweaters, cover head and hands, must read to her sitting upwards etc.. i mean she doesn't push it and gently 'suggests', but honestly repeated 'suggestions' can get rather irritating.. shrugs..

CY,
Hmmm...can understand..SAHM job is the toughest in my opinion...salute to u!
happy.gif

Lok, Ava & Jeraldin,
Gosh, i feel relieved knowing there are mommies who share the same view
happy.gif
But who knows, i might just give in to pressure and dash to a GD outlet in a heartbeat!!

Meanwhile, my baconboy is still not good with his tummytime neither can he sit upright on the bumbo...i am concerned but i kept reminding myself that i should let him develop in his own pace...as a mom, i can only "assist" him and do my best for him & remembering that he is God's creation..
happy.gif

Bacon & egg ,
every child develops at their own pace .. keke .Although i am a 2nd time mummy this is the first time i am looking into flashcards and educational materials for my little one and after reading so much today I am very very stress out esp zac ( 18mths nw) not very interested when i flash to him 3 times a day of 5 cards repeatly.. thinking of changing topic nw .. geese ... stess after erading so much ..

LLCY ,
a lot of effort man .. must really salute to you ... u still do research on what is best .. I only trying to implement the basics and it is not easy ... just like the times when i started out BF to zac .. i have to keep pumping at 3 hrs and still no milk .. so stress out then .. looking back and comparing nw .. keke .. i am so much more relax when it comes to BF ... keke .. no milk , just supplement FM .. not guilty anymore. Haha .. coming back to flashcards .. I will continue for teh 4th day and see how zac respond.

<font color="119911">bacon&amp;egg (baconegg) - hah, me too. Am guilty of just talking/singing/reading to K, oftentimes repeating the same stuff and using baby language. I know a baby's brain is like a sponge and will absorb the most from birth to 3 years, but then the effort and dedication required for flashcards etc is just too massive. At the end of a tired working day, i just want to play with K - don't think i can sit down and go thru flashcards! Anyway, to each his own...as long as the baby is happy learning
happy.gif

Springz (springz) - i would have failed in every of your MIL's must do list. Don't believe in bringing up K in a sterile, protective environment. We let him interact with our smelly dog, Kookie, put his fist in his mouth, didn't wash his new clothes before wearing,....the list goes on!

Lok (lok) - ur hubby is a member of Mensa too?

Meanwhile - no one has a weight/height scale for babies?</font>

Kym Kym ,
My zac is like the first gal ... Cannot sit down to eat and have to have MIL/Maid chasing after him and feeding him on the go .. sometimes eating very little ( like 2 mouthful or so) . the only time he sits nicely down for more than 30 mins is watching TV and MIL usually on the TV the whole day to control him ... Sign ..Nw it is a challenge for me to sit him down for flashcard.
I am those mummies who resist TV and have to sit children on high chair to eat but MIL would on the TV when i am working the whole day despite my disapproval and insist that my bb back is facing the TV while she watch(cos sometimes i came home earlier and feel the heat on my TV set and she said she never on the TV) . Everytime when i catch zac to the table and chair to sit him down to eat, he would guai guai sit when i throw up a temper but not being there for my little one physically most of the time when i am in school the whole day , MIL let zac eat whatever he wants and on TV to try controling him .. zac just went back to this chasing around action.
I have no control/ no say at all .. like the yaolan episode..hb says have to respect her for taking care of my little one so i ren till nw ...

Hence nw since she is gg off ( to look after SIl kid) (HENG), I have an opportunity to correct all the "misbehaviour" again .. keke .. will be an uphill task ..and hopefully Zenneth will be better train. But the downside is ... of course SAHM is my worse nightmare .. cannot go out and no income to spend !!!!! Recessionary period for me ..

Lok
IQ vs EQ: lanolin and i had a discussion on this and she said those with high IQ don't have to fend for themselves so much, whereas those who are not as "bright" have to, so they get on better in life as they have to use and develop other skills...

it's really true (in general)! from what i've seen amongst my peers..

chewy ring don't stress ya?? Each child is different and talented in his/ her own way. I was getting abit concerned with lil s not doing tummy time well and wobbling so much on the bumbo. But have to tell myself its ok!! Also I am shutting out my MIL's lament that baby has not rolled over yet and that SHE is getting stressed. Please la they are only babies! Let them enjoy! If they like flashcards, flash. If they don't, do the stuff they enjoy! Like running around, gym etc.. means good gross motor skills!!!
happy.gif

Bigtoes - Tell me abt it!!!! sigh thanks for your assurance. Coz sometimes i feel like I fail in being clean for baby!! But honestly, already I think s'porean kids have low immunity! Always think should toughen them and I dread the time when she is teething. Bet she'll make me wipe with dettol each time she drools on something.

Hee.. so happy! third time lil s fell asleep by herself without patting, cuddling or pacifier! Hope it lasts!
happy.gif

Another tip. Reading the GD books now. Haha skimming through for past half hr, am at chap 14.. to strengthen grasping.. let baby hold your finger (one on left hand, one on right). Gently lift baby off ground a bit. She'll tighten grasp! GD book show pic of lady kneeling with baby just holding her 2 fingers to height of lady's head! Something I def don't dare.. but i tried on lil s for few cm.. really works!
happy.gif

Bacon &amp; Egg, Lok, Ava, Jeraldin
reading abt all the stuff sept mummies r doing with their kids makes me wonder if i did too little with cheeky girl when she was a baby sometimes. And I feel kinda kan chiong also. But what u said makes me feel better! #1's attn span is very poor at home, can't make her sit down to learn but at least she can pay attn at JG class, so i'm consoled.
Might try flashcards with baby chubby cheeks. But then again, i'm kinda lazy... Haiz...
Guess i gotta remind myself that i musn;t pressurize my kids. My colleague just told me yest that a fren's kid jumped off the block a few yrs back cos cldn;t take it that kena into Normal Tech stream. So sad!

ava - agree!!! haha have come across quite a few scholars who are obviously very bright with high IQs but their EQ is like sub zero!!!!!! Great turn off and I doubt they can go far in society hahaha.. like my cuz, shhh, i think he quite low EQ one but mensa GEP kind.. so it is a good thing he is into academic research haha.. shhhhhh..

cupcakes - oh my! that's sad!!!!
sad.gif
actually ironically, when I was studying (oh that seems ages ago), I told myself, I'm not going to bring up my kids thru S'pore education sys!! Now look at me.. strangely excited abt harnessing potential!!
sad.gif

actually all 2 yr olds dun like flashcards!! Haha.. good also la, they should be running ard learning as they move
happy.gif
In fact, i secretly think lifespan of flashcards is pre todd yrs only where they have no choice but to lie there hahaha!!!
happy.gif

<font color="119911">Jaymickey (jaymickey) - Don't worry - KooKie is at my in-laws! There won't be a dog at my place during the Xmas Gathering
happy.gif

We bought him when we were dating, and KooK was suppose to come live with us, but he couldn't get used to the place, so he remained at my MILs.</font>

<font color="ff0000">Hi Limay, Kymkym, Avalyn, bacon&amp;egg, lil boy mum, storeberry, lok and springz......

Pls check your inbox...

You got mail</font>

<font color="0000ff">wah... stress stress stress... i'm not doing anything to Max except for the usual talking, singing n playing with him. Hope he's not missing out on anything.. haha</font>

dear mummies, please don't be stressed!!! Really it is ok not doing anything! I am just sharing what I learned, not putting pressure! Just free tips!
happy.gif
Like Flos mentioned, soooo many smart ppl grew up without these tools!!!!
happy.gif

cupcakes
AIYOH.........nowadays youngsters....got BGR prob, jump, got schooling problem jump.....wonder if it's the parents' issue (too much pressure) or lack of family access (to talk) or trend of the times where kids are brought up with "quick fixes"...not taught to be patient and/or deal with issues etc...

Wah, so many posts on IQ, EQ...me so biz with the transfer of the new maid...supposed to come at noon, last minute change to tonight....wish me luck for this new maid. Gosh, I'm really a fussy Ma'am, am I?

Kym: It seems like i'm the 3rd mom in your post. Which one r u? I was a prodt of hothousing, so I'm super anti-hothousing...Er, I'm not anti-GD, just not a great fan, that's all
happy.gif
I believe in flashcards but dunno if I can drag myself up to make more than 5 now! Also, I'll hv little time to flash those cards to Isaac when I return to office, and probably too tired to read/sing to him by the time we fetch him home from granny's place every evening...poor deprived kid
sad.gif
sobsob...nevermind, we'll take him to the gardens, the beach, the hills, the malls, on holiday, etc...prefer him to be a tough cookie who can lead Mom&amp;Dad the way to take the London Underground or take the plane on his own when he is in sec sch. Don't wish to hv a mugger/rote-learner at home U dun need to be an Einstein, a Monet, a Chomsky, a LangLang to make loads of $$ in the market :)

Ava/lanolin: dun hv to fend for themselves so much cos the 'gahmen' is taking care of them rite?

lilboymom: I think your sacrifices to quit your job paid off! I'm sure it's very much to do with your good genes, and 40% attributed to all the books and flashcards
happy.gif

chewyring: u r sooo cute! 'recessionary period' for u! of course u can still go out as a SAHM...and ask your hubby to give u $$ to buy those flashcards lah...

Lok: the PD said on Sat that Isaac is a tall boy
happy.gif

Jaymickey: 4 packs of Active BB going for $59.90 now, regardless of sizes. U cannot based on M or S size quantities to divide the Pampers cost u paid at Cold Storage cos the paper used to manufacture larger diapers will be more, and therefore more expensive. For Pampers NB, each piece during the Motherhood promo was $0.12, cos very little pulp was used.

bacon&amp;eggs: I think it's ok to flash some cards to K now. Isaac doesn't like to be read to. He will YAWN!!!! *BISH* Instead, he likes me to read and flash those boardbook pages in front of him concurrently...only then will he squeal in delight!!! It's quite fun
happy.gif
But dun stress him out! E.g. today, I read two boardbooks and flashed NUMBERS &amp; SHAPES to Isaac. It's enuff to thrill him!

don't kill me.. was curious to see if GD churned out any smart ppl since it was started in the 70s!! Haha only came across one who said her kids turned out as scholars.. some other reviews on those who started in 70s/ 80s though.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Teach-Your-Baby-Read/dp/0757001858

Btw apparently my mom caught the flashcards thing from GD when I was a baby but did not use GD per se la.. haha with my not-smart ways, dunno if it means she should have used GD or if flashcards didn't work!! hahaha
happy.gif

On the flipside - here's a book that talks about what Kym was saying - more impt to learn through life experiences
happy.gif
quite anti GD
happy.gif
http://www.allprodad.com/pod/viewplayoftheday.php?date_pod=2007-09-25

Lastly, I'll do GD as long as lil S is as happy as this 4 month old baby!!
happy.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZZjBRd3EFA

Kym Kym - am staying in tampines. I do need a nanny of sorts when my parents cannot make it. I'll pm you my contact. Lets make some arrangements. Am keen in the playgroup set up as well.

Education
Am totally inspired by all your posts and am in agreement that a child must have a mix of play and learn in order to be a genius. If you look around, all the scholars have a good balance of both. And every child is different so as parents, our expectations are also sometimes " sky high". We need to take one step back else the child will feel "stuffy".

I like the flashcards idea, but it must be done in moderation and in many different forms as well. So that the child will enjoy fun in learning and recognise things in various forms.

Foundation is key but do go slow and not put pressure, else in the end up its us mommies who are the ones "studying" and not the child. (just my thoughts)

sarahmay, same with my bb! she absolutely refuses to be put down and has to be carried AND rocked all the time lately. i barely have time to do anything else. can't pump in peace either cos she'll be screaming. hv to do chores w her bjorned to me too. am typing w 1 hand now cos cradlin her in the other. am hopin she'll grow fast enough to develop more interest in her toys so i can hv some time to do other stuff.

bacon&amp;egg, me too. flashcards &amp; stuff never entered my mind while ttc-ing/pregnant. all i cld see was lots of playing, singing, dancing, rolling in mud &amp; lots of grp hugs includin furkid too. i even intended to get her a sandbox! i think deep inside i just want to re-live my childhood - minus smackings &amp; scoldings! i hope my bb will hv a childhood she can remember fondly.
happy.gif

springz, thanks for sharing your findings here; not everyone can be so generous w sharing "fruits" of their labour so freely w others, esp when it must've taken u quite a bit of time to sieve thru them to find the relevant ones.
happy.gif

o ya, laughing out loud
my bb only does this v occasionally but a few times, she chortled out loud in her sleep and gave me a fright! like "haha... haha... ha...zzz". v funny to watch. wonder what she might've been dreamin of. me? ha.

springz
i noe wat u mean. I was also very anti sending my kid to classes etc etc. But look at me now. Cheeky girl is gg to JG and learning music... and all becos i realised she did nothing but watch TV at home all day long!
I am quite dismayed actually that at home she can't sit down to learn now that i have finally got off my lazy butt to do something. The other day, she sat down for 2 min. Before i cld do anything, she said "ok mummy, enough learning for the day!" and ran off. I was like ???

bacon&amp;egg - I'm also not going take up GD and all I do with my boy is sing, talk, argue (when he doesn't do what I want) and read. We've not even started story books yet...just single word ones. My sister is quite anti flashcards but she did her part by bringing her 2 kids out every weekend to places like the Hort Park, Zoo, petting farm, beach etc etc and they've traveled to numerous countries too with them. I find the boys matured, worldly and interactive and that is what I hope for my son too.
happy.gif

I would probably send him to play school by the time he is 18 months as it would be quite boring for him to stay at home. I work full time and will probably adopt my sister's methods by spending QUALITY time with them during the weekend exploring and explaining the world to him.

Don't stress!

Flos / Lok - Ava and I were saying that those with high IQ get positively reinforced purely because they do well academically so they don't have to try to find other ways to get praises. Those who fare very averagely in school need to be liked for something else ... and develop the EQ part to win friends and pats on head.
happy.gif
That's what I think.

Anyway, I am really more worried about how to bring D up to be a responsible person...one with good integrity and principles. Was just discussing that with my husband over dinner and I said we really have to lead by examples - which really isn't easy. Hopefully, sending him to Sunday school would help.

Having said that, I think Springz / Lilboymom / SarahMay - I really applaud your conscientiousness!!!! Sometimes I think I am just plain LAZY. hahahah

Millie - The equipment at Sky Pilates is really good and I do like my instructor plus I go there once a week which allows me to run some errands in town at the same time.
happy.gif
You should go check it out. They have group classes too but I need flexi timing so chose 1:1 instead. Do you want the contact?

Gunibear / Jojobar - I've decided. I shall not go near BV store anytime soon. My hubs was sweet to ask what i wanted for Xmas and I almost blurted out BBBBBBBBBVVVVVVVVVVVVV but then again, I thought, let's save money for the future. So I told him "Save they money and get me a birkin in a couple of years' time". HAHAHAHAHAAH ....

Kymkym - May I ask how much is the nanny charging you? I've got one who comes to my place but I think she's quite steep so just want to know what the market price is like.

Re the 3 girls - I agree with you that environment does have influence on the children but because they are not from the same genetic pool, it is difficult to determine how much of their current behaviour is indeed caused by nurture ... vs nature. We need identical twin studies to be able to get closer to the truth. Ava - would you allow us to experiment with yours? hee hee hee.

(sorry for multiple posts...I keep forgetting what others have written to which I would like to respond to...
happy.gif
)

Dear breadmum,

Hmm, am looking for a mother who needs a permanent nanny (mon-fri, 8am- 7pm) due to her work committments.. coz she'll have to pay for the services by month and not by per time usage..

The value-added here will be that the in-house nanny will be engaged to play, teach, sing and read materials to baby vs MIL or helper just switching on TV to coax baby.. less the health/ neglect risk of putting baby in IFC..

<font color="0077aa">Lanolin: You hubs is so sweet!! My DH can never remember to buy me anything, I need to give strong hints before he gets it! Dar*!

Springz: Yesss.. thanks for posting what you have find out here!! Its alot of work! Today was so busy, only have time to come in now.

Spinz &amp; xuanting: Smallberry wants to carry all the time, even if I sit him on my lap trying to surf the web, he would fuss &amp; make noise.. Haiz!</font>

Dear lanolin,

The in-house nanny is charging me $1500 for two babies ($650 x 2 for nanny services, $200 transportation), no overtime fee, will have to provide for her food during the day

Charge does not include:
1. Food for baby
2. Perishables
3. Washing laundry (which will be done by my maid)
4. Cooking (which will be done by my maid)

She will:
1. Make Puree until baby ready for porridge
2. Feed
3. Follow baby routines
4. Shower baby (assisted by my maid)
5. Change baby (assisted by my maid)
6. Play and Sing to a timetable
7. Read and Flashcards to a timetable
8. Be on stand-by when we need her for weekends
9. Protect, look after the house and oversee the maid's chore..

Will still need to interview her before anything.. but the downside is that she does not speak superb english since she converse predominantly in mandarin.. still much better than speaking baby blabber or hokkien or mixed up english or mandarin!

Dear storeberry and rabbit,

I got her contact through another mother, maybe i can ask if she knows any nanny living in the west..

storeberry - men r the same. They need to be trained. U've got to do it quite outrightly for a few times (birthday / anniversary / whatever excuse to get a present / pushgift etc etc) and then at some point, they might get it. hahaha....

So what would u like for Xmas?

Dear Lanolin,

She can manage basic vocab like- shopping, ball, candles, radio etc easily, i will get her to do the GD maths and GD chinese too, so those will be no problem

Dear Kym Kym - thanks for the info!!! Too bad I stay in East Coast and not Tampines. Probably not feasible for me to drive him up and down every day. I think you've got a great plan though!!

bacon&amp;eggs,ava, flos
actually i think it would have been tougher for me to be FTWM. haha. i was constantly worrying if he's eating, if he's been ill treated coz he's so difficult etc...

then when im come home, so dead beat with all the guilt guilt guilt of not spending tme with him...

ava
no idea. i thought all boys will go through this 'automobile phase'?but coz my place near paya lebar airbase..so ....

qiuling
ha, tell me about it. im also mroe relax this time round. started her on FM when i was out once. who knows after one feed she suffered tummy ache or whatever, cried the night and entire next day away...haiz..

lok
i like josh, think he has a very spontaneous personality
happy.gif
im sure he'll be those who charms a lot fo girls next time..haha, so better watch out hor...

isabelle
hahah!! isabelle is so cute! she actually told you that!!!

lanolin
your hb is really sweet. if i ever spend money on a bag, he will say, "huh, xxxx for a leather bag? i buy you a cow lah!"

kym
hey, it'll be good if your nanny can speak good mandarin, then she can even do those chinese stuff with the bbs!!! you'll really appreciate it in the long run!

Dear lanolin,

Can share how much is your nanny charging? Does she have credentials?

Actually planning for this kind of setting until baby turns 18mths or 2 yrs, and because of my job nature, i can knock off earlier on some days so i hope for the nanny to be flexi, and i can always drop by and spot check :p

When baby turns 18 mths or 2, I'll prob put her in a good daycare or nursery (will be cheaper as well by then! :p)..

Lilboymum - most men r super practical. My husband is no exception. He doesn't spend much .. not even on Zhnging car / audio equipment / food etc etc. Nothing. ha ha ha....but he had to choose someone like me to marry. I'm grateful he accepts me as I am!

KymKym - my nanny is Angeline's confinement nanny - she charges me 8.50 per hour and she was trained in TMC many many years ago and has been a nanny for the last 10 years. Honestly, I think you r getting a good deal. It's important, to me, to observe how she interacts with your daughter. I can tell that my nanny is quite "in love" with my son. Ha ha ha ... she notices little things about him and "scolds" me (for example) when I don't cut his nails short enough and he gets a little scratched on his face. I think the love is most impt.

Hi Lanolin,
Hahaa... You are aiming for the ultimate Hermes.... For me, i change a celine waistlet as christmas present to my hubby credit card... BTW, I am saving up for the chanel 2.55, hope to get that befor my next birthday
happy.gif

You know what, my leg shrink ! I cannot fit into my pregrancy high heel shoes ... thehy are too big now... HOW CAN IT BE>>> Now i got to rebuild my shoe collection again....As a shoe lover, i am sure you understand my PAIN...

haha i was just teasing lanolin outside this thread that you mummies are Tai Tai-sss
happy.gif

cheekygirl is very smart to retort back like that!!!

no la no effort.. like i said, i surf out of curiosity while i pump.. i typically surf with many tabs open.. so it is cut and paste while i read
happy.gif

Hey jojo - how much is a 2.55 by the way? If u know people going to Paris, best to get it there as u don't need to pay GST and claim back some more tax....

I feel ur PLEASURE and your PAIN....hahaha.... Just 1 trip to On Peddar will do my dear.
happy.gif

Springz - definitely NOT tai tai. I work hard for my bags. Just irrational girls who r willing to spend crazy $$ in bags and shoes. hahaha...

<font color="0077aa">Lanolin: Actually nothing much I want for Christmas, I have lost touch on the branded stuffs! I just want him to spend more time with us! My DH is a workoholic!

My maid will come in on sat!! Am apprehensive, hope she can be of a good help!</font>

Back