(2008/02) Feb 2008 MTBs

Thanks, Xiaoyun. I'm so tired, shoulders aching from carrying and BF her today. Just stuck 4 pieces of 'salonpas' on my shoulers. :p At least she's sleeping peacefully now, so I can check forum.
happy.gif

kitsune,
me too...stuck with grouchy baby also. started to wail and scream from 7pm onwards. told hb dun wan 2nd one already cos if num 2 cry more than num 1 i think i will peng sun =(

Garfield, poor thing, hugz. We both deserve a pat on our backs for our perseverance. I'm so stone today cos her grouchiness started last night. Hubby thinks the trouble started after I tried to dreamfeed her at 11pm. (bought the Tracy hoggs book at Borders on Thurs after Isetan private sale at 30% off) He said when we let her wake up on her own before feeding her, results were better cos she will sleep after drinking milk. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. :p

hi kitsune,

same thing here,think i dun dare to dreamfeed anymore,my bb also v grouchy today since i dream fed her at 12am,my hb said the dreamfeed theory failed

goodbbb, you too? Sigh, don't know why like that leh. I know some Jan MTBs swear by Tracy Hoggs, that's why went to buy the book. Thought it made sense leh, cluster feed from 8-10pm, dreamfeed latest by 11pm to tank bb up. Really want her to sleep through the night but if she's grouchy, it's even worse cos we can't get anything done. I give up liao, waiting for her to wake up on her own though her last feed was 930pm. :p

Hi Garfield, kitsune,

If I'm not wrong, dream feed not supposed to wake baby up. If breastfeeding, use your little finger or a pacifier to stroke the lower lip to activate the sucking reflex, then stick nipple in. Bottle feeding just do the same with the bottle's teat. No need to wake her at all.

:p I also reading Tracy Hogg's book. Went to her web site then so sad to learn that she passed away liao. I wanted to email her to ask some questions too. :p The web resources mentioned in the book I also can't find. <sigh>

Have you gals started your gals on E.A.S.Y.?

Artemis, oh Tracy Hoggs passed away liao. Sad to hear that, any idea how old was she? I didn't wake baby up and in fact she finished 125ml (more than her usual) so I was pleased with myself. Problem is, she was grouchy when she woke up crying the next time around 2+am but didn't want to drink. Sigh. Same thing happended around 4+am. :p

I tried to start her on EASY but she can't fall asleep on her own. And think she's too old to be swaddled leh. :p

xiao yun, i'm easy with the orders. if everyone wants to drop, i'm ok. if you wanna proceed, i'm oso ok.

cheryl, mon is the cremation, that's why can't go.

kitsune/garfield, aw....sorry u had a bad day. mine too was grouchy today and i felt like i'm losing my ability to read her cues. is it bcos i've been back at work? lost my touch? sigh...last time, i used to be very "chun" in reading her cries. always 100% correct wan...now, sigh....

dreamfeed
ladies, dun give up on dreamfeed! i oso encountered the same prob when i started. bb started waking more often and earlier at 2am and i thot DF failed. but later we adjusted. 1) dun DF later than 11pm as it will cut into next day's cycle; the best time to do it is 1030pm i found 2) dun give up swaddling - they still need it as they have no control over limbs. once i swaddle, dd knows that she will get nap/bed time, she will instantly quiet down. she has become so much easier to put to sleep. on some days i dun even need to shh/pat her, her body goes limb once we swaddle in darkroom, she will shut her eyes and zzzzz. tracy says dreamfeed more impt than cluster. if cannot cluster, just concentrate on dreamfeed.

i put in alot of time before returning to work to make sure that my girl kept to EASY. now, i make my caregivers note down her EASY schedule so i can study it when i get home. if at night, she wakes too many time or too early, i know that something happened in the day either she did not tank up or she slept too much. EASY takes so much guesswork out of the crying. really, stick to it and you will thank Tracy Hogg for coming up with it.

Artemis, i spent night after night gg thru BW forum. u will find the answer to your qn if you look hard enuff. i found that surely someone else would have experienced the same prob somewhere and posted abt it.

oops long post..paiseh...

Kitsune,
I agree with Bkkgal, dun give up on EASY. my girl has been on EASY since 8 weeks. My experience is almost identical to Bkkgal's.

For dreamfeed, i think you need to trial and error like Bkkgal says. In my case, I cut out DF for many weeks already, cos i noticed that when i did it - she was waking up more often than without DF. I believe Tracy Hogg says that when you notice that happening, then dun DF cos it's causing bb to be more prone to waking up.

So if bb has a feed shortfall, I will make sure that she takes one more feed (her supposed DF) latest by 830pm. She gradually started to wake up later and later for her in the middle of night feed till now she can tahan from 8+pm to 5+am and even 6+am on certain nights. Of course not perfect lor, sometimes she still wakes up at weird hours.

SWADDLING - 100% a must! Need to keep their arms down (babies still thrash around a lot at this age...especially their arms some moron reflex which only reduces by month 6) Arielle will usually calm down after i wipe down, change to sleep suit, and swaddle.

Bkk,
Thanks for your encouragement! Arielle has started "having a mind of her own". She has developed the ability to have preferences (eg. wants to lie on her tummy to practice neck lifting) and will protest when you don't let her do what she wants. When she is tired and time for day time nap (all the cues are there), but DOESN"T WANT to sleep, she will wail while i try to let her take her nap.

Then hor, once she starts wailing, very hard to calm her down already lor. Machum opening pandora's box....She will wail and wail and wail non stop one. I need a theory on how to calm a crying baby!!!

*hugz* dun worry, your touch will come back soon.

bkk
i feel exactly the same! like really cannot read cues already! last time when bb was younger, it was easier to tell hungry from angry (or not happy lah)
happy.gif

DF - what time does your bb go to sleep? usu i do the feed at abt midnight, and usu he sleeps around 830. then he can tahan until abt 530-630. maybe i should try earlier and see if he can tahan longer. cos after that he will wake up at 8am and that's quite shack for me cos means i can only sleep for 1+hours before waking again. zzz

Easy - is your ILs the bb's caregivers? my ILs sometimes help me look after but they not so keen to let me know (or rather, remember) what times he nap and feed and how much. feel like i dun have much choice cos they are like doing us a favour by looking after. sigh. but also he's not on a v regular schedule yet, hopefully i can get him on one, then they can see the benefits and wld be more willing.

garfield
my bb also now wailing a lot more! and really bring the whole house down. wah liao.. for him i thought the crying is more cos he can't get himself to sleep, how u know your bb doesn't want to sleep?

kitsune
i also think my bb too old to swaddle but it seems to work, so i'll try anything to stop him wailing ;) and also i can't get my bb to sleep (esp naps) on his own. sometimes it takes me almost an hour to get him to drift off, then he sleep for 15 mins! ......

Iso,
My bb can make this protesting sound which i recognize
biggrin.gif
means she wants to continue doing what she was doing and doesn't like/want you to do whatever you are now doing to her (can be putting to sleep...stopping her from flipping in cot etc)

If I stop what I'm doing and let her revert to what she was doing, she'll be happy. If I insist, she will start wailing.

Iso,
If i ask my ILs to do EASY they will ask me to go fly kite!!! They are super traditional.

My parents are my caregivers so they adopted EASY after i explained to them

Gar/iso
i notice it too - they are discovering a will of their own, no more like before when it was simply basic caveman needs driving their crying. if i don't pick Kate Lynn up when she starts crying to be picked up, she will make me "remember" it by wailing and crying until face turns blue. Gar, mine also like pandora's box. once opened, cannot close! hb scared of her liao. but i notice if i pick her up and talk to her in no-nonsense firm voice, she will start to calm down and slowly tune down to sniffling. but her sniffling can continue
for 15 mins wan..

My MIL looks after her on Mons and my mom does the rest of the week. THe 2 moms are pretty good, very consistent and keeps to the schedule. They even take notes and leave around for each other to reference. I mark out chapters of Tracy Hogg's book for them to read when bored. and so far, they understand what we're trying to do.

Really admire our parents for their willingness to take this from us their children cos it shud be like they eat salt more than we eat rice right? but they seem accept that times have changed lor.

iso
my bb goes to bed abt 7.30pm. DF at 10.30pm. wakes for another feed abt 3-4am and then sleep until 7am.

gar
i wondering maybe it's time to take out DF too...but afraid to disturb routine.

Morning ladies....
i too had a super long n tiring day yestr...2day i thk i will also peng san if he continues his "unreadable" cues
sad.gif

btw, may i knw when is the borders 30% sale until? I wanna buy the tracy hogg book that u ladies r chatting abt.

bkkgal,
may i knw what is BW forum?

re: crying like want to die
the "symptoms" all sound so similar, wonder why none of the books i read so far say anything about the bbs turning into "devils" down the road, heehee.

bkk
actually i read healthy sleep habits, happy child, by marc weissbluth, who says that u shld never wake up a sleeping child. so maybe you can try taking out DF and see how.. for me it still works now so i'll just leave it first ;)

leila
join the club!! it's q frustrating sometimes, but hopefully it will pass...

gar, bkk
haha.. lucky got caregivers willing to try new things! i still stay with ILs for now, and sometimes q convenient to leave bb at home to go out for short while. will see how i can convince them once *i* can get him on a proper routine.

having a baby is so tiring!! pple always ask me about the labour but i tell them being preggers and giving birth are the super easy part. looking after the bb is the hard part!! :D

re: tracy hogg method
i think every baby is different loh, so need to be flexible when using the methods suggested by tracy hogg. i use some of her methods,and some from others. like rojak. haha... i tried to dream feed my boy before. but, he just simply didn't open his mouth at all when he's deep sleep. end up, i gv up liao 'cos i know if i 'accidentally' wakes him up, he would be super cranky due to tiredness...

for swaddling, my boy would keep stretching his arms out if we swaddle him and cried very pitiful... mayb after he past full mth, we nvr swaddle him liao... that's y he's not used to it anymore...

cheryl, i use the DUDU method to swaddle - Down, Up, Down, Up, as taught by Dr. Harvey Karp in the DVD "Happiest Baby on the Block" - effective wrapping them like a little popiah! hehe.

Leila, BW is Baby Whisperer. It's a forum discussing Tracy Hogg's BW books.

Ladies, looks we all were a bit out of touch with our bbs after going back to work huh? I'm worried that our caregivers will get better at reading her cues and me lose touch after many weeks at work. Mon to Fri we are at work and then weekend is like starting a whole new learning curve all over again. damn tiring man!

Juz curious... what's EASY?
I've been reading about dreamfeed, i think my bb doesn't dreamfeed (?) Actually, i'm quite fuzzy on what's a dreamfeed exactly..
My boy has his last feed at 9+ and goes to sleep, and doesn't wake up until 8+ in the AM.
No feeds thru the night, so which is the dreamfeed?

re: swaddle
i used to swaddle my boy but have stopped since he's 2mos, 'cos he can "push" his way out.
Decided to stop when one AM i found the swaddling cloth on his face *heart nearly stopped*!
he's pretty used to no swaddling and sleep on his own so i guess juz have to condition bb to a new routine
happy.gif

re:swaddle
i have stopped swaddling since 1st month.. but his hands will wave when he's sleeping n hit his face, then he'll wake up.. haha..

re: gathering
sorry mummies, i can't make it to the gathering.. i need to go sim lim to settle IT stuff tomorrow.. garfield.. sorry can't help u to collect yr stuff..

now @ in-laws place.. bb's crying quite a bit.. can bbs start to recognise??

Kelly,
m being a KPO here and doing a chk list on who's coming and whose not hor....since my boi 2day in a better mood....hahaha!

Ladies, pls feel free to amend accordingly ok?

Date: 19May, Mon (public holiday)
Time: 12pm?
Venue: Pasir Ris

1) Kelly &amp; family - fried bee hoon, curry &amp; drinks
2) cheryl &amp; family (hb also not confirm yet) - sushi
3) qingling &amp; family - koniyaku jelly
4) leila &amp; family - chocolate cake
5) Thankful &amp; family (hubby not confirm yet) - Soon Kway
6) kitsune &amp; family - green leafy salad
7) Artemis &amp; Danica - pizza or you all would like some soup? Potato, carrot and sweet corn soup. That's the only soup I really know how to make (just put everything in and pray :p) but will be a bit hard to lug around I think.

2) qingling &amp; family - koniyaku jelly
3) leila &amp; family - chocolate cake
4) Thankful &amp; family (hubby not confirm yet) - Soon Kway
5) kitsune &amp; family - green leafy salad
6) Artemis &amp; Danica - pizza or you all would like some soup? Potato, carrot and sweet corn soup. That's the only soup I really know how to make (just put everything in and pray :p) but will be a bit hard to lug around I think.

kelly, just read your goat rue gst post when i browsed thru e older posts.. have transferred 1.60 to you.. transaction no 1712993617

bkk,
i only tried DF for less than a wk before noticing that it was making arielle more prone to waking up. so i stopped for more tan a month already. arielle auto tanks up during evenings nowadays in order to last the night so i find it not necc to DF now.

sunny,
yup agree all bbs are different. we have to adapt accordingly!

pinkle,
aiyo yr bb can sleep thru then no need dream feed la
happy.gif

Garfield9,
care to explain to me what is EASY? First time coming across this term.

Anyway, just a question to all. All your babies born in the month of February? That is the reason why i come in this forum cos want to exchange tips with February baby mummies..
happy.gif

re: dream feed
Doesn't work 4 my boy too cos he won't drink when i tried doing so.

Tongtong
Howz ur bb? Better? If cough/flu nt serious i'll let bb recover on his own. I'm anti-medicine. Unless nec, i won't wan to let bb take.

Xiaoyun,
Re:hubby
Lucky mine also auto help me take care of bb at nite when i was down wif fever. At least he has sm plus points.

I'm ok wif ordering fr LV if every1 else is gg ahead. Else i'm fine wif droppg d order 2. Tks.

stardust
My edd was in feb but bb decided to cm out earlier in end jan.

Re:swaddle
Wat do u all use to swaddle bb nw dat they r so big?

hi,

any 1 using pigeon's glass bottles?are pigeon's glass bottles BPA free?
any 1 using BPA free bottles?what r the brands to consider?any recommendations?

ya...but if u call them, they sell at $59.9 and i thk if u go dwn to their warehse, u can get it at a better price...don't knw why though...

i jus call n got them to deliver to my home. If I am not wrong, got delivery charges...but i bought a few stuffs, so delivery charges ok wid me.

2) qingling &amp; family - koniyaku jelly
3) leila &amp; family - chocolate cake
4) Thankful &amp; family (hubby not confirm yet) - Soon Kway
5) kitsune &amp; family - green leafy salad
6) Artemis &amp; Danica - Old Chang Kee as per kelly's suggestion. Anyone has any requests?

RE : E.A.S.Y.

It stands for Eating, Activity, Sleep and time for You. Basically, it's about establishing a routine for the baby to follow so that it would be easier to understand their cries, fusses, cues.

RE : Swaddle

I am using the swaddle cloth I bought from ParentCraft. But I find it quite thick and nowadays weather so hot so looking for alternative. Any good recommendations?

re swaddle
i recently bought Grobag swaddle cloth from MothersWork at great world city - so far it's the nicest swaddle i have, cos it's pretty thin, and the material is stretchy, which is the best for swaddling. also the animal print so cute, haha. i also have SwaddleMe, with velcro, but i think it's a bit too restrictive for him at this stage.

grobag - http://www.grobag.com/swaddling.aspx

re glass bottles
i have pigeon ones, 120 and 250 (or 240?) ones but i hate the larger one cos it's so thin and narrow. don't think it has BPA cos it's glass. but i also use pigeon plastic bottles.

Back