(2008/02) Feb 2008 MTBs

XY, I think I'll need to hire an intern to sort out my photos and do up the photobook! haha. Just 4 years, 2 kids and (I think) some 35000 photos. Full time job man!

hello mummies gd morning!

so happy CNY is ard the corner
happy.gif

just a KS question - anyone already planning to do PV? i dun have any primary school to fall back on, so PV might be essential EVEN for neighbourhood school, sounds so stress....

bkk,
you can probably start it out small.
using their ready book, select a theme e.g., new arrival of baby, first christmas, first overseas trip.
but then you would probably end up with many many books! haha..

i am now doing another one for my parents, trying to consolidate all the digital photos from all my siblings.. gosh, it's just too much!!
so i am using their ready book template, 'plug and play' the photos. don't think 1 photobook can fit in all the photos since year 2003. but it's still a good start.

however, 1 thing i don't like is that there's a shipping fee of $12 per book. that's costly as a book of 40 pages is only $23.

qingling,
happy CNY to you too..
hehe.. i've finally done my shopping for CNY clothes. so happy..

i think the PV for our #1 should start next year. guess you also need to register earlier.
have you tried to call up the primary schools that you have in mind to check if they have vacancy for PV? some very popular school has already closed the registration (PV) for kids born in 2008.

photobook - already bought the coupon recently, hope to do one book after the TW trip in Feb.

XY - closed??! i really don't know which school in the west i should consider, my neighbour area not much choices i think, Rulang is within 2km but even PV i think no gurantee(so also hesitant).

QL, I hear that if wanna do PV, should contact the schools to check which ones accept PV. Some have long waiting lists just to do PV. Some don't even entertain PV.

lezy - not that i wana stress u out..but then its the fact we gona face it soon..haha..do u have any pri sch for Ruth to fall back on? otherwise like me...gona stress now..which school, do PV or not..blah blah..haha

well, i've lived around my area since birth so i'm probably gonna enrol her in my old primary school - hopefully can get in. Lucky for me, the primary school shifted nearer to my mum place in the last few years.

(Unless my hub confirm want to switch school then i dunno....see how...)

My husband was assigned to look at PV since he is supposed to know much more than me. But until now, zero research. I am quite worried, don't know whether to pull this task back to my bag again.

xy- i didnt change com, but changed from thinclient to PC. strange hor? maybe previously my thinclient is running on server which banned SMH.

ql, relax! CNY coming soon, enjoy first hehe

More stress on the way.. This year C starts academic learning in school!! Growing up n no turning back!!

I'm glad I don't have to worry abt P1 admission for now cos I can send him to my former school..

Xy, admire your patience. I only did one fotobook when I did my maternity photoshoot. Burn midnight oil until 2-3am, after that, I have a phobia. Like bkkgal, if there is someone to do it for me, I don't mind paying more for the photobook but outsource the 'hard work' of searching for photos, remembering the sequence, coming up with captions. :p

CNY
I haven't bought my CNY clothes yet.
sad.gif
Too fat to fit into clothes I like. Hiaz...

Primary 1
I am hoping that no need to do PV leh, but think I better call Poi Ching soon to confirm that within 1 km, no need to ballot. After all, 2008 was supposed to be a bumper year for babies. ;P

Eliaw, Carter only starting school this yr? So lucky, I think most kids would have started at 2 or 3 yrs old. Both my gals started at 18 mths. :p

Pauline, he started at 2pm.. But no academic learning.. It was all inquiry based learning.. This year his school starts teaching reading, math, chinese, etc..

pauline,
only we - the parents know about the events when the photo is taken. no other person can put in a better captions.
what you did is even better than a photobook, you blog about what's happened.
happy.gif

i know some photograph shop do help ppl arrange the photo and make into some books. guess the best they can do is just arranging the sequence according to timestamp and at most come up with a caption about where and when the photo was taken.

eliaw,
carter still at eton house?
is the academic learning that important for N2?
not sure how much my #1 learns in her previous childcare, but i know that she did some addition, subtraction, alphabets - that's all. :p

and she's now in the new childcare, i don't know how 'academic' it will be. but she's now learning to do cut carrot, pluck bean sprout, wash dishes and massage for me, trying to do most things by herself.. :p
hahahaha... i am trying to relax at least for this year.

XY
Big C do addition and subtraction? Wow!

pri school
i don't even feel like thinking about it, cos dunno what to do... there's a pri school just across from our current place, best is they start at 8am! but i dunno how
"good" they are, and I have doubts we can tahan living in this tiny place until A is 12. Unless they change school halfway? Or we live nearby but not as close? So many questions, no answers :p

Iso - u refering to cantoment pri?....my fren teaching there.

XY - addition n subtraction..wow...i alr have problem explaining to Heidi today and tomorrow...haha..but she can spell her own name and write it out already! so happy
happy.gif

mm...
i've doubts on my observation liao. you mean they don't need to know how to do it at this age?
i remember saw her able to tell me single digit addition/subtraction when i give her biscuits..
maybe i am wrong? she just visualise it from the biscuits that she has on hand? :p
i didn't ask her to do any homework on paper though. i am just purely bochap at this stage lah.

XY, to answer yr question, I need the moe kindergarten guideline.. Will share w u all when I dig it out n type it here..

Actually I feel that starting at N2 is still early.. Tot can relax until K1 or something.. But somehow it is no longer the case..

XY, thanks, my poor blog only updated once or twice a month ever since I became real estate agent. I don't mind that they put in all the photos in sequence then I just fill up the captions. hee. :p

RA definitely has not done addition or substraction in school yet. I asked the teacher before and she said way too early lar. They are only doing counting 1-5 last yr. :p

Just called Poi Ching, she said last few yrs for within 1 km, no balloting needed. As for PV, can only register when RA is finishing Nursery, so that means in Nov/Dec. Dilemma whether to do it. I feel lazy to be a PV. :p

Eliaw, yes, pls enlighten us. I don't know what is inquiry based learning. :p

For Ruth's nursery, rote counting has been on-going for the past year...but different kids progress at different rates for different things.

Anyway, counting was quite easily taught in day-to-day life for us. We just keep counting when we are waiting, when we play with her toys (how many toys), when we see things around (buses, cars, blocks, etc)

She used to keep double counting and etc last year but has since done much less of it. (as in she doesn't make a point not to re-count those she has counted before. 4 apples can become 20.)

FOr now, I'm still trying to strive for a balance between fun and academics. I'm grateful she loves activity books and would prefer a book to a toy (mostly).

QL
yes! how? any feedback? does she like it? seems like a big compound..

addition - think now they know more or less concept, so probably after that we can start introducing addition?

Iso - i will ask her for more details, she did comment before its a relatively new school, so lacking resources, but 3 yrs later may be better already. I would think distance wise is indeed very good.
happy.gif

Hi mummies...

Talking about Primary school so stressful ! I thought I have another year to think about it and make a decision towards year end but one of my close friend just submitted her registration for PV in St. Hilda's. After further reading, most people seems to suggest if wanna do PV then gotta apply the year your child turns 4. For me, I have to do PV to be eligible for earlier phase...

Initially was thinking of moving to another area because I think for my current home, the competition to get to a good school by distance alone is quite stiff. Then again, if I moved and can only get to a so-so school then might as well stay put and try to get into PV. Plus property prices is still sky high and since I'm a PR - need to sell current house first before buying to avoid additional stamp duty.

Re : academic in Pre-school,

Not too sure about Math, what i know for C is that they will start learning to write/read this year. He is starting to show interest to write/read, but not the type who will sit down very long to practice. I just bought him some exercise book and kumon card which you can write/wipe. Hopefully that helps.

tute,

Same here. Hehe..... My husband suggests us to do PVs for two schools ----one is one of best in the north side, one is near my ILs's place (within 1km for ILs).

But I am not so stressed, worst comes to the worst, neighborhood school near my house. Maybe better. who knows.

----Academic
Her childcare starts writing for N2 students. She seems quite happy to learn, every day come back to tell me what she learns. Hehe....as long as she's happy.

Tute, yup, this is the yr to register for PV. If you intend to sell your place, agent can help apply for remission from HDB to avoid the ABSD (additional buyer stamp duty). HDB may allow you to buy first then sell your SK flat within a grace period. But depends on which school you are targeting. Maybe either parents' alma mater (no need to ballot) or a gd school that doesn't need balloting within 1 km, if not also no point to move for the sake of school. ;P

tubao,
haha.. am gg to submit PV for 2 schools too - see which one get accepted. Not even sure will get accepted to both ;p

you are similar to my hb, he also has the mind set - neighbourhood school is still ok but i guess i am the more kiasu one
happy.gif

Pauline,
oic... i didn't know we can apply remission from HDB - thanks for the info! unfortunately since both of us did not study primary school here, we don't have an almamater so gotta rely on either PV or distance which is why i'm not putting a lot of hope but still try first.

Hi, Tute

I changed my mind already, probably full gear on applying a better school. Hehe...... very weak me, always listen to my husband.

But my E who often plays with groups of primary school girls at playground, asked me during weekend "why my classmates don't stay here? " hehe.... I anyhow make a reason.

Hi,
You gals making me super stressed leh... Now already talking about PV.
Really have to do PV next year? 2 years before admission?

Iso - sorry so late then reply. Basically, she says her school offers a holistic development and according to her great facilities, and good to come in after next yr cos by then most of the facilities will be out.

QL
aiyo don't worry. still got 3 years more to go before they start pri 1, haha!! But thanks! does she like teaching there? it does look v big.

It's so close to me I could possibly throw a stone into the compound from my balcony, haha!!

Pauline, is it a rule that seller must pay agent commission? My friend is looking to sell her HDB at clementi and she wants to advertise on ST herself. If agent brings buyer to see her house, does she need to pay the buyer's agent com?? If no need, do you want her business? Let me know.

Hi, blueginger,

Hehe.....not try to stress others. But if you intend to do PVs, now it's time to start to look at their website for forms and requirements. My colleague happened to enroll at last day of application.

No choice, my husband's old school is merged to a very low ranking school at Toa payoh. I feel that if we don't do something(maybe a bit), we are short charging my girls.

hi, tongtong, she does not need to pay buyer comm. For HDB, it is very clean cut. Seller agent gets 2% comm from seller. Buyer agent gets 1% comm from buyer. The same agent cannot represent both seller and buyer. Therefore, if your friend wants to sell the house herself, she will have to do everything herself. Includes submission of valuation, advertising on online prop websites, newspapers etc, scheduling of appts, handle the otp and all the paperwork herself, online booking of first appt, second appt, submission of resale transaction etc.

She will also need to get a 3rd party (cannot be seller or occupant of the flat) to act as witness eg. signing of otp form because buyer agent cannot act nor sign as witness for her.

If your friend is selling the house herself, Agents have access to the latest resale prices (even before they are lodged and published at HDB or URA website) so we know how to price the flat better based on latest info. Sometimes both seller and buyer refuse to budge on the price, having a 3rd party is easier to negotiate.

If your friend is thinking of selling then buying another property, we can negotiate on the actual comm. Anyway, if she is keen, you can ask her to call me at 91230588. No obligations.
happy.gif

Hi Feb Mummies,

<font size="+2"><font color="ff0000">Wish you and your families a "HAPPY &amp; PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR"</font></font>

Hello mummies!

It's soon to be Feb again... Birthday month. Has anyone ordered from birthday direct.com? Do they ship out to Singapore and if yes, the indicative charges?

XY
thanks! does it take long to ship here?

QL
ok great to hear
happy.gif
I will check it out when time comes!

piglet
i only heard of partycity before.. anyway this year i'm far too lazy to do anything, heh.

Pauline,
I read about your posting on Poi Ching. My twin niece and nephew were from there. My Sis didn't join as PV but she joined RC instead. If join PV, quite restricted to one school option.

But do note that Poi Ching is very academic oriented. My niece was advised to take foundation math in P6 as her results were below average. Her overall results were always last few in class. Now in Sec school, she is the only foundation student in her class but her math result is top 5 in class. Her ranking for sec 1&amp;2 are top 10 in class.

Thanks Reena for sharing. Wa, so if your niece takes only foundation maths, what happens in sec school? Can she still take E maths or A maths? Dun think I can join RC cos grassroots work timing will clash with my viewings which are either weekday evenings or weekends. :p

Outing: Kite flying at Marina Barrage
Date: 11 Feb
Time: 10am

Bring your own kite, snack and ground sheet.
We will be there unless it is rainy.
1) XY
2) Crystal
3) Bluegin
4) Wan Yee (TBA)

Everyone is welcome. We will have lunch at Level 2 cafe after the session.

Hi Piglettail,
We are fine. Guess many of us are still in CNY mood to respond to the thread.

Back