(2007/04) April 2007 MTB

Mrs Chia,
probably just feeling clucky! If I ever get preggers I'll post it. So don't need to guess. I'm not that sort.
Meanwhile, Jesse is still sick! Sigh...

Hope you all enjoyed your long weekend! Wishing you the best for 2010!

Hi D,
you are so right! hehe
happy.gif

mummies
wanna ask where do you buy shoes for your kid? i normally get sandals fm Kiddy palace..
any other recommendations?

i got one fm Bata- bubblegummers but then i realise the sole is quite slippery as D almost fell on the rainy day.

Hi Min,
I recently bought a pair of Reebok shoes from Royal Sporting House at Suntec-- costs only $19.. quite a good buy considering that his sandals which I bought from KP is abt $24.

I went back again thinking to buy more but they have limited sizes.. you can go check them out.. think they still have size 8, some 9. And Suntec is the only retail outlet where they have sales corner.

btw, any mummies here starting their toddler N1 next year?

Mrs chia
issit track shoes? hmm.. coz D hv all along been wearing sandals even to sch. perhaps i shd start to let him wear proper shoes

and any of your kid wear slippers? i dunno if D will lose his slipper if he wears them out..

min , i am also trying to get zac to wear shoes as he is starting playgrp on 4 jan .but he juz prefers his crocs . the sch teacher mentioned to me , better to let them wear shoes coz it is covered , can protect their feet better ...
btw , dunno if it is cheap --> metro expo has some odd sizes crocs . mary jane , cayman etc , my fren helped me buy 1 pair at 25 bucks (size 8/9)

Jesse currently has four pairs of shoes in circulation. Two are Crocs, one is a Snoopy Sandal from Metro and the last pair is Geox ($40. Biggest size from Moomoocow). He wears that to church and other more formal occasions. Usually he wears Crocs cos it's non slip. Hardly wears the sandals.

He has a pair Mickey mouse shoes (bought from jl sale) waiting for him when he outgrows geox and many pairs of crocs (all bigger sizes) waiting for their turn!

Hi Min,
yes,it's track shoes.. cos he's starting N1 next year so thot I'd buy covered shoes for him.. and he loves wearing them. He has also always been wearing sandals.

Hi mummies, am new to this forum. My girl was born in April 2007. Turning 3 soon and am looking for a suitable playgroup for her around Woodlands. Would appreciate any reccs. from experienced mummies.

hi arleen,
this thread mummies some are busy w/the new arrivial, kid's new school terms, work & etc...hence no one response to u yet
happy.gif

i'm staying in the east not sure abt w.lands area.
hope some mummies from the north area can help.

Leo

Im here *wave*
wink.gif

Haha, our thread has been idle for quite some times liao! Let’s heat it up!

How is little Yi Kai? Hope you are coping well with it.
happy.gif

Hi Arleen

Welcome to our thread.
happy.gif

Im staying at Yishun, my gal is in N1 full day child care at Sembawang.

Think you looking for those 1-2 hours playgroup right?

Care to share more about you & your gal?

ee,
how many kids now in the class. they must be new addition right ? anymore new cases ?
K got doc note to go back but we keeping her home since hubby caught it too.

Oh dear your hb also caught it!!! Think you better quarantine ur hb for the time being.

Got 18 in the class, I ck with the principal she said they have 3 teachers to handle the class, max can up to 20 per class! FAINT!

No more addition for the cases, should be quite safe now.

Glad to hear K is certified fit, so when you plan to send her back?

Hi ladies! *waves with both hands*

Im sure the mummies must be busy with the new term starting and all.

EE,
I was looking for the 2-3 hrs playgroup kind and was looking at Apple Tree at Blk 846 Woodlands. Any mummies have anythg to say for that centre? But now on waitlist liao coz session is full *crosses fingers*

Kaexin,
Im near RP. Where're u at?

arleen,

i know they also have a church kindy @ wdlands Evangelical Free Church. but you looking for playgrp right ? not too sure.
i know a frend kid is @ LV - RP. you looking for walking distance to your place ? what is your criteria.

i am at wdlands mart, Ave 6. ee's tiff and my K are classmates in the CC @ Sembawang.

Hi Kaexin

Ya, im kinda looking for a playgroup. RP is near my place but they dont have the two-hour playgroup thingy and only has childcare...plus, it's ex too..hehehe..

So, u travel daily to Sembwang CC to send your girl?

arleen,
one of the march boy is in LV @ RP. then got 2 gals who are also in wdlands in PAP and church kindy. if i am not mistaken the 2 gals are in 3hrs session.

yes, i will drop of my gal at her childcare on my way to work. she and ee's gal is at the childcare opp Sembawang Shopping cnetre.

Leo
Sad to say that I need to undergo an operation soon
sad.gif

Kaexin
You brot K to dentist to polish teeth? They need to see dentist at this young age mei?
Saw her name sign in yesterday, so she must be crying alot when you drop her at school after such a long break right?

EE ,nid to bring to dentist .
last time , zac complained his teeth is painful , the dentist told me they shd be wean off bottles soon coz drinking milk thru bottles will cause tooth decay . that is why , it is more advisable for todds to drink fm cups
anyway , the problem wif zac is , he refuses to sit on the dentist chair , cried n cried . so in the end , i paid for the consultation fee n his teeth din get to be looked at . they actually booked an appointment for us to go back but we din follow thru

ee,
ya, she started yesterday, then she saw her CD's friend ernest in the C class. mrs x was telling me this afternoon that she likes playing with ernest. i told her that is bcoz she was in the same class for 9mths.

ya, brot her go and polish her teeth last thursday. super white and nice now
happy.gif

took only less than 30mins from registration to payment.

she is still crying but stopped after she got trfed to MrsX. saw Tiff this morning, she was at the outdoor playgrd playing with the rest. you know they were learning lowercase and chinese yest.

caicai,
i brot her to the the HPB and paid $9 coz she is sporean. can try there next time. actually i let K sit on my lap then she lie there for her teeth to be check. so next time u can try that.

ee.
not sure how much is non-citizen need to pay though, but if u need the tel no to book appoitment, let me know.

Hello Gals...

One of those lengthy reads you get from emails fwds. haha. :p

Perhaps that's why I still can't bring myself to let Jesse go to school...though we're signed up for next year!

Raising Children
by Anna Quindlen, Newsweek Columnist and Author

All my babies are gone now. I say this not in sorrow but in disbelief.

I take great satisfaction in what I have today: three almost-adults, two taller than I am, one closing in fast.Three people who read the same books I do and have learned not to be afraid of disagreeing with me in their opinion of them, who sometimes tell vulgar jokes that make me laugh until I choke and cry, who need razor blades and shower gel and privacy, who want to keep their doors closed more than I like.

Who, miraculously, go to the bathroom, zip up their jackets and move food from plate to mouth all by themselves. Like the trick soap I bought for the bathroom with a rubber ducky at its center, the baby is buried deep within each, barely discernible except through the unreliable haze of the past.

Everything in all the books I once poured over is finished for me now. Penelope Leach., T. Berry Brazelton., Dr. Spock. The ones on sibling rivalry and sleeping through the night and early-childhood education, all grown obsolete. Along with Goodnight Moon, and Where the Wild Things Are, they are battered, spotted, well used. But I suspect that if you flipped the pages, dust would rise like memories. What those books taught me, and finally what the women on the playground, and the well-meaning relations -- well what they taught me was that they couldn't really teach me very much at all.

Raising children is presented at first as a true-false test, then becomes multiple choice, until finally, far along, you realize that it is an endless essay. No one knows anything.

One child responds well to positive reinforcement, another can be managed only with a stern voice and a timeout. One child is toilet trained at 3, his sibling at 2.

When my first child was born, parents were told to put baby to bed on his belly so that he would not choke on his own spit-up. By the time my last arrived, babies were put down on their backs because of research on sudden infant death syndrome.

To a new parent this ever-shifting certainty is terrifying, and then soothing. Eventually you must learn to trust yourself. Eventually the research will follow.

I remember 15 years ago pouring over one of Dr. Brazelton's wonderful books on child development, in which he describes three different sorts of infants: average, quiet, and active. I was looking for a sub-quiet codicil for an 18-month old who did not walk. Was there something wrong with his fat little legs? Was there something wrong with his tiny little mind? Was he developmentally delayed, physically challenged? Was I insane? Last year he went to China. Next year he goes to college. He can talk just fine. He can walk, too.

Every part of raising children is humbling, too. Believe me, mistakes were made.They have all been enshrined in the "Remember-When- Mom-Did " Hall of Fame.The outbursts, the temper tantrums, the bad language, mine, not theirs.The times the baby fell off the bed.The times I arrived late for preschool pickup. The nightmare sleepover. The horrible summer camp.The day when the youngest came barreling out of the classroom with a 98 on her geography test, and I responded, "What did you get wrong?" (She insisted I include that.) The time I ordered food at the McDonald's drive-through speaker and then drove away without picking it up from the window. (They all insisted I include that.) I did not allow them to watch the Simpsons for the first two seasons. What was I thinking?

But the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three of them, sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4 and 1.

And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night.

I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less.

Even today I'm not sure what worked and what didn't, what was me and what was simply life. When they were very small, I suppose I thought someday they would become who they were because of what I'd done. Now I suspect they simply grew into their true selves because they demanded in a thousand ways that I back off and let them be. The books said to be relaxed and I was often tense, matter-of-fact and I was sometimes over the top.

And look how it all turned out. I wound up with the three people I like best in the world who have done more than anyone to excavate my essential humanity.

That's what the books never told me. I was bound and determined to learn from the experts. It just took me awhile to figure out who the experts were.

I need to have an op to remove fibroids (6.7cm and another 2 small fibroids).

Although this is my 3rd operation (I have cesarean section for my both children), I was still very scared and worried.
sad.gif

mummies,
any of your todds totally off diapers already? i know cherelle is, but dunno who else too. i need some advice on cutting the nap time diaper (and subsequently the nightime diaper). do you immediately bring a potty to the child or bring the child to the toilet immediately after they wake up? or can they hold their bladder for abt 10min after they wake up? reason being that kaizer has the habit of lazing ard on the bed for abt 10min (will just lie down there and mumble things like i don't want to wake up, don't want to go sch etc) then by the time he gets out of bed on his two feet, it'll be too late to catch the pee, no?

s/w,

my auntie said just bring a cup, boys are easy. haha.

honestly, I don't know cos he's still wearing diapers. But I know he can hold for 10 minutes after he wakes up...if he wants to. I think he has woken up with dry diapers before too...

s/w
my D always like to laze around for some time as he always refuse to go wash up after waking up.. must coax, threaten, scold .. and it happen every morning esp. but then he can hold his bladder pretty well oredi. so he will always have pee after waking up for some time.

can let Kaizer know that if he wet the bed (after waking up)and refuse to go wash up.. he wld have to clean up for you.

for me.. last resort is to mention CANE and then he would move his butt.. my method is not recommended lah but it only work on my boy

min,
my toilet training hasn't delved into punishment yet cos i don't want him to think of toilet training as something undesirable. you mean you use all these tricks on dillion before? he's totally off diapers?

d,
i think for him, he'll continue lazing for as long as he could until he gets hungry enough to open the fridge or climb to the tabletop to see what's available to eat. cup ... hmm what if he doesn't aim properly into the cup and the pee splashes on you instead? you tried a cup before? in this case it's the same effort putting a cup and a potty next to the bed after the child wakes up.

s/w
no choice.. only the word cane work wonders on him. and i don't hv that kinda patient for his nonsense
my boy is like that lah.. talk to him nicely he don't appreciate. anyway he knows is a routine to go pee after waking up.

he is not off diaper for nap and sleep. its me whom don't wish to do it! coz i'm still not sure if he can hold his bladder coz he do wakes up with wet diapers at times.
perhaps when i get a waterproof protector then i will proceed

and perhaps try not to use a cup.. scared he may get reliant on it.. then will always ask for cup instead of potty.

s/w
if you wanna use a cup.. hold his penis and aim into the cup

thats how i train D to stand pee-ing into the toilet bowl like a MAN! hahaha

min, s/w

you'll be surprised how good an aim these little boys are.
happy.gif

That day, I brought him to pee at my in laws place and he was holding a little spray bottle. He opened it up, the opening had a diameter of a 10-cents coin, and he managed to aim it in, w/o holding the penis! I didn't know boys could do that! They seem to have so much fun. haha. :p

if i'm the one bringing him to public toilets, he'll pee sitting down instead of standing up. if the father's the one bringing, sometimes he'll stand up and use the urinal because according to the father, the seats in male toilets are filthy.

s/w,

So far I've had problems trying to get Jesse to use the public toilets.

At home, he takes off his shorts completely (leaves it on the floor) and plonks himself of the toilet bowl to pee, no problem.

Some times if he pees in the shower, well, he's naked already.

But when we're out, he insist on taking the shorts off completely, even if he's standing. And some toilet seats are filthy (in my part of the world ;))

So, we're currently at an impasse where toilet training is concerned. He does well at home but I just let him wear diapers when he naps cos he's still in his crib.

But when we're out, I still keep him on diapers because it's too stressful to help out of his shorts. (Filthy toilet bowls usually = filthy floors as well) Too much gymnastics involved.

If it's a short 2-3 hour run out of the home though, he does go out without diapers and so far as good. Or if I let him wear diapers, it's usually still dry by the time we get home and he wears it again to bed
happy.gif

Guess my problem is "how do you get him to pee with shorts on but dangling off him!" haha.

Hey everyone!!
It's been a long time since I've logged onto this thread! How's everyone doing?

I wanna ask if anyone knows when we are supposed to update the photo on our todd's passport? Gladys had hers done when she was 3 months old and she definitely doesn't resemble that photo now. I don't wanna be stop by the immigration for that. Any idea?

s/w
Gladys has been diaperless for the past 5-6 months. I think she feels that wet diapers are just not she prefers. It just happened, though I did coach her to pee in the toilet bowl. I can reuse a diaper for days before I dump it coz I think it must be contaminated. Then I just stop giving her the diaper totally and she'd been taking it pretty well. If she's really that urgent, she'll just pee in the shower, run the tap to rinse it. But mostly, she'll just drag me to the toilet with her (sometimes, I get to pee first. heheee). But there had been couple of times when she woke up with damp pants but she managed to wake me up in time to bring her to the toilet. Accidents at night do happen at this stage for her, though it's not frequent.

Gene,
we made J's passport when he was 6 months old...doesn't really look like him. But until this year, we've not been told to change the photo at immigration yet.

Also, since the pp only last 5 years, are they still as sticky?

yo Gene,

When we took the cruise last month, the immigration officer advised us to change Cait's passport cos he said can't tell its her anymore. But I think he was just being "ngiao"...cos no one else asked us to change the passport every time we travel. The pix in her pp was taken when she was about 5 months I think.

I am really too lazy to apply for her another pp again!

Cindy, Gene,

I kapoh and went to call ICA. Here's the official statement on the matter ;-) (verbatim)

"From Sept 2007 we no longer provide 'change passport photo service'. If you use the passport in other countries and other immigration officers make comment to change, you have to change a NEW passport. Otherwise, can carry on using old passport."

This is J's actual passport photo:
3532957.jpg

This is what he looks like now:
3532958.jpg

Looks like? Doesn't look alike? I guess there's some resemblance...

shamelessly uploads photos :p

something to brighten up your day:

Papa: next time Papa bring didi out with V to go gai gai ok?

V: Papa carry didi OK? V walk because didi cannot walk. So Papa carry didi, then V walk OK? V must hold Papa's hand, otherwise people take baby (referring to herself) away. Then Papa have to buy a new baby and V have to buy a new Papa.

d, jesse looks different fm his babyish passport pic . he was so chubby :p , but if i were u , i wun waste money to re-do passport juz to replace a pic .

diane , V so funni

zac also hv a not so funni one .

mummi: zac go to sleep now
zac : huh ?
mummi:u cant hear properly ? let me dig ur ears
zac :i dig my nose (start digging his nose)

JK oso hv 1 to share
happy.gif

JK likes to use my milk pump act like watering the plants, hb asked him not to touch my milk pump. Few days later....
JK: (pointing to my milk pump) papa said cannot touch this one.
Me: Yes
JK repeat again w/louder tone: papa said cannot touch this one.
Me: Yes, dear
JK (HOLDING my milk pump): mama, papa said CANNOT touch this one.

Back