(2006/04) April 2006 MTB

my boy hates normal tv but pays attention when we play his DVDs and VCDs. He's addicted to 2 DVDs from Baby Genius (FAvourite Children's Songs and Favourite Nursery Rhymes). Honestly i don't know what's so great about these 2 DVDs, it's just children and people in costumes (like Barney) and some animation, with songs. He likes the songs though, especially the song Wheels on the Bus! I oso bought him sesame street VCDs becos sesame street is a childhood fav of mine. I bought him the ones that teaches words so at least got some educational value. So far, he enjoys them
happy.gif
 


Enya has been watching Baby Bright VCD since she is 6 mths old. It's a routine programme she will watch on weekends. Recently I have introduction Wheels on the Bus. She only likes the Thinkle Thinkle Little Star and Cobbler Cobbler. Other than that she will just wander off.

She also likes the 8.30am show on Kids Central on weekends. I think the name of the show is Lazy Town. She loves the music and songs. I'm wondering whether to buy Barney for her or not.
 
Lazy Town has very catchy music and it's high energy! I saw the trailers and rather like the girl - lead singer.
happy.gif
But so far, have not watched any episode cos 8.30am too early. :p
 
Where can get the wheels on the bus vcd/dvd?
Heehee...wonder if watch dvd will get addicted. My girl also like baby signing times and watches it when she gets home from my mum's in the evening b4 bedtime...
 
tanwawas,
i started him when he is abt 3 mths old. he not interested. last night i forward to the singing segment he also dun see, walk here and there playing his own 'toys' and he love to play w CD cover .

occasionally he will turn his head to the advertisment maybe like 2s, for drama i notice he will watch more than a few mins then he will play his own stuff.

mealtimes, he eat in the kitchen on his highchair and no tv. i guess he just not interested. ha ha ha . Hope he will not be addicted to tv later on since he is deprive for it now :p
 
BABY EINSTEIN

me got the sets (more than 25DVD) from the library... i.e copy, illegal one lor.... save a lot leh... my girl is interested with those with songs, dance action... and the caterpillar (@ the intro)... others she will mind her own biz... ha!!!

got most of my girl's DVD from library... hee...
 
boohooo...my girl's sick again..this time high fever..never see her so lethargic and cry like in pain, like little kitty like that...so heartpain
 
Reiner,

U mean can borrow the dvds from library??? Sorry coz I sua ku.

Hunnie,

Received your mail. No problem since you lost the contact. Thanks for your reply anyway.
 
Baby First Words
My gal very different ler. Normally they will start words with single syllabus? vowel? (dunno what to call) first then slowly pick up those more difficult ones right??? But my gal's favorite word now is "apple" or "open" (2 syllabus? vowel?). She can oso say "choo" (for shoe) and "ball" other than papa, mama, ah ma.
 
bblim

wow, your girl starts with the difficult words uh? and know so many some more, clever girl
happy.gif


my boy's vocab is now limited to "cat" and "pa pa pa". does not know how to call "mama" yet.

starry

good lah, your boy is not missing out on anything not watching tv. in fact, according to the US Pediatric society (or whatever they call themselves), children in fact shd not watch any tv till they are 3 yrs old. they shd be learning thru play and interacting with adults (especially parents) at this stage.

strawberry

you can get 'wheels on the bus' vcds at john little. some neighbourhood vcd shops also carry them, like poh kim video. "your baby can read" you can buy at Isetan/Robinsons. some mummy also selling at the WTS section.
http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/449183/809780.html?1179830891
 
---------------------
Baby DVDs

Shawn starting watching Baby Signing Time since he was about 3 months old and he can now sign about 25 words.
happy.gif
That's his favourite dvd! If he's upset or anything, I just need to tell him I will let him watch Baby Signing Time and he will start looking at the tv and gets all smiley...

Also plays Baby Einstein for him from around the same time but he wasn't very interested then. He's more interested it it now... I think probably he understand more about the world now can can relate to the pics more.

Recently I bought the HBO set of Classical Baby DVDs... hiaz, he's not very interested. Also bought some Eric Carle DVDs.. also not interested... think these are still beyond his age.
--------------------------
Sleeping through the night

I think most baby who are still nursing have this issue of not sleeping through the night. I think most of you are better already... Shawn on average gets up 3-4 times a night and for 4 nights last week, he got up every hour! And mommy here has to work! Really buay tahan! My friend has asked me to 'train' him by letting him cry. I did that once when he was about 9 months old and he cried from 1am to 4am! I stop 'training' him since then. I believe they would grow out of it.

Alternatively, if you have help, let the baby go away and sleep with the grandparents or wat. We had to attend some funeral rites on Tue night and got to leave Shawn at the nanny for the first time that night. He only got up twice, cried a little and went back to sleep! So different from his behaviour at home! And all the time I was worried he would cry the whole night! They are smart little babies.. I guess they won't waste energy crying when you are not around... so that might be the best way to get them to sleep through the night. Unfortunately, my nanny doesn't seem keen to help me 'train' him leh. Think people who aren't use to waking up in the night will find it really difficult to even get up once in the night.

Am now considering leaving him with my PIL since the school holidays are coming (both of them are teachers) and they are relatively freer... more assured that they can probably handle him after the overnight experience at the nanny.
 
But if really want to leave the child at someone place to 'train' them, make sure the baby is very close to them in the first place already. Else it can be traumatic for them.
 
hi bblim,

yup, DVDs from library... be preiumn member, paid S$21/yr.... so can borrow either 4 DVDs+4 books or 8 books... but DVDs gotta return within 1 week....
 
MY BABY CAN READ Vcds
Hi, to those who bot the above. Can share how much did you pay for it? Tinking of buying a 2nd hand set. Thanks.
 
Re: Baby Shoes

Need advise on bb shoes. My girl started to walk a few steps 2 days ago. I just want to check is it ok for her to carry on wearing the soft sole shoes? Or should I let her wear the hard sole shoes?
 
Haiz, dunno whether to post anot. My paternal cousin had committed suicide yesterday. According to what my mom heard, he jumped down somewhere in Tampines. Guess he shld have pre-planned for it coz he actually bot Chicken Essence for his mom and sis out of the blue the nite b4. It's likely to be due to depression too as he was in some kind of credit cards debts for some years. Thou not really close to him, I feel sad too as he was only in his 30s n single somemore. Felt that he ended his life too early.

Also it really keeps me wondering if depression/ schizophrenic can be hereditary???
sad.gif
 
Tracy,

I am still letting my gal wear Bobux on dry floor and inside shopping malls. But for outdoors like the park, on the road, it is better to let them wear hard-soled shoes so their tiny feet would not get scalded/ hurt by pointed objects. Hope it helps.
 
bblim,

sorry to hear abt your cousin. I guess in life we should learn to take it easy. But i know it is easier said than done. Sometime I myself also "kan bu kai".

Thanks for the info on shoes. Me really excited as she finally started trying to walk.
 
bblim,

I got my set from the taka fair.. way too ex.. 89.90 for 5 sets, comes with some parental guides as well

Sorry to hear about your cousin's death.. my ex colleague's bf's bro did the same thing too.. and definately pre-planned.. cos he jumped to his death on the exact day (12 am) of his insurance policy's 1st year anniversary (the clause stated that no monies will be paid should death be caused by suicide within the 1st year) which means he had waited 1 year to end his life..

He kissed his mother b4 he leapt to his death at the kitchen window.. He left behind 2 young children

Tracy,

I also let my girl wear the soft sole shoes when she is indoors, but she doesnt dare to walk much when she is on the road, and she doesnt like wearing the hard soled shoes when she walks
 
Tracy - it will be better for yr child to wear soft shoes until she is stable in her walking and you can get those hard sole type. Then again like what bblim has say beware of sharp things along the payment and hot weather, the ground will be pretty hot.

If not, you can buy sandals that's what isaac has been wearing instead of of the combi shoes i bought for him. sandals are light and easy for them to walk.

bblim, paternal cousin - death. Hmmmm.... i kw i sound crude if i post this here. Seems like i'm scolding or lecturing seriously I"M NOT la.. in fact, I ponder very long whether should I post anything abt this hahaa..

Just to share la har..I've been thru the depression and i kw how it felt. Is super hard n serious nothing can seems wake your sense up. Trust me is really not easy to talk to a depression person.

However, it is very stupid of him to waste his life like that. His parents will be so heartache to see such a young man waste his life by jumping down. Nothing in this world cannot be solved, just how you do it. If he is in debt, talk to the credit company and ask for grace like installment payment etcs. I'm not sure how it works but i think they also wont want to push you to a corner.

We being parents now, we fully understand how tough our parents went thru bringing us up. And back then they dont have such good luxury like husband being nice to help out or employing maids. Not even help in terms of technology like us having this thread to support each other. But they manage it well then, coz' we all are adult and having our family isnt it?

For bringing him so well, able to own a credit card i'm believe he should have some decent job. coz' of the money matters, he decided to end his life and make those who is alive feel pain for him.

Share this with all, i've went to visit my Godpa's dad few weeks back. On the next bed, there's a guy with tubes in his nose and sitting on the bed playing with his lappy. From his look, i thot he is pretty old probably in his 40s.

To my surprise, that guy is a BOY! he is only 18 years old, he came out to work less than 4 mths wanting to help out in the family then but unfortunately he was diagnose with cancer. The doc told his mom, he may only able to make it 3 to 6 months. But a year passed and he still struggling, dont you feel he is more pitiful. But he dont feel that he is pity coz' he uses all the drive to be alive and make his life worth every seconds he breath, he says he is counting his blessing.

He has never given up and he has also never stopped learning as much as he can while counting his blessing.

Whereas another fellow due to peers of society he just give up just like that. Once again my apologise for sounding so mean here. I don~{!/~}t mean not to feel sympathy to this young man who ended his life. Just that i always felt when someone don~{!/~}t treasure life whereas others trying their best to grab every opportunity to be alive. That's very pity in life. IN fact, I feel very sad for the parents and they must been crying their hearts out and ask what happen.

And yes depression could be hereditary esp if the depression side comes from the mother genes. just to share this, my mom has post natal blues and i suspect that the post natal blues has nvr healed till now adding on my dad's sudden death that robs most of smiles and happy cells in her. My sis also have a post natal blues from the 1st child, 2nd child she is much better.

I have also post natal blues coz' i don~{!/~}t have enough family supports and adding that my dad left me one week before isaac's birth.

Aiyo~{!-~} why I got nothing to post har.. always post long long post like scolding people hahahaa~{!-!-!-!-~} Actually i very mild person lei.

Hey, nobody organize any outing har? Quick someone do lei, so I got a chance to meet more people! Our darlings are one liaoz.. we should have more good outings as they are slightly easier to handle by now right.. and less worries about food etcs.
happy.gif
 
Mom_yam

Thks for your insightful thoughts. I have indeed enjoyed reading your post, as with many of your previous posts. You have a fan in me and Draik... heehee...

Oh yah, btw, wanna "scold" u for something.... pm u!

Bblim

I bought my Baby Can Read set for $30 2nd hand. No parent materials, just the 5 VCDs.

Sorry to hear abt your cousin's suicide. I used to work in a credit card division in a bank, and have done chasing of debts before too. There is really nothing the banks can do except to call and hound you for payment. At the most, they will sue the debtor into bankruptcy, but that's not reason enough to force someone into suicide, unless he had other major problems too.
 
tawanwas - u make my head SWELL lei, i very shy person so i will hide and peep out once awhile hahaha..

Hey, all dont hide lei come out and chit chat more.. find that we often dont talk much here.. so end up all mommies seems to disappear from this thread. one of these days this thread will be gone.. sob sob
 
bblim,
I got the Baby Can Read VCD set & books set for...FREE! Muahahaha. Dh got them via points from his credit cards.

So sad to hear another person commit suicide again.

Re: Baby Shoes
I let DS wear hard-soled sandals because we realise that his feet can really smell if he wear covered shoes.

Mom_yam,
*pat on shoulder* I also had post natal blues, my mom also has it and *same* I also suspect that she did not recover. Most of the time, I feel that God will give me one challenge after another. Sometime when I read about other people problems, challenges in life, I might feel luckier or even more depressed. Now DH and I kept telling ourselves, aiyah, everybody also got their own problem one lah, they just dun show, dun tell or just take things lightly lor.
 
Draik,

My son's feet also smell after wearing his open toe sandals for a few hrs. I think he has sweaty feet like his daddy, and it doesn't help that the sandal does not absorb sweat. Gotta consider letting him wear socks + sandals liao, but scared too hot.

Everyone has their own cycle of ups and downs, just that some ppl are luckier and have more ups than downs, while some have more downs than ups. We're all lucky that we can share certain problems with other mummies here, and get support.

I'm facing a rough time now with my son falling ill for the first time since birth. Hb n me are struggling to cope with his fussiness and lack of appetite.

Mom_yam,

Don't "kay kay" (fake it) lah!
happy.gif
 
Im lucky that I didnt have post natal blues as I had alot of support since I got pregnant till I gave birth, even up till now. Guess I am really considered very lucky that my parents, my granny and my hubby helped out whenever possible. My mum had post natal blues... think it went on for a few years, had to see doctor and went on medication, not surprising that she had it as she didnt have much support after giving birth to my 2 brothers and I, all 1 year apart from each other. She has to work full time, come home and do all the housework, cook for us, my grandparents, my auntie, my dad.. and look after us at night... and she became very ill when she had me (think due to being overworked) so guess support during this period is very crucial
 
Hunniepot,

I do agree with you. Support is very impt. One of my colleague who just gave birth 3 mths ago is very stressful now. I had seem her breaking down a few times already. She is a PR so family not in Spore. No one to talk to. Her hb is always playing computer and also never help with bb or housework. I'm afraid she suffer from Post natal blue so I always try to talk to her nicely and support her a little bit.
 
Just want to add:

really glad my hb is one who is willing to help and loves bb very much.
embarrassed.gif
So pai sei, say my own hb good.
 
I agree also. I think I also nearly went into depression. But hb was very supportive and keep saying to learn to depend on ourselves and not expect ILs to help out too much eventhough we are living with them. So I insisted for my next bb I want to have a CL as the first was really very tiring. But have a problem, no place for CL to sleep and may even have to share my rm while my hb sleeps with his bro..boo hoo
 
hi...where is everyone har...???

Tracy,
Dun mind post Enya pix here, cos u mentioned that u going to cut her hair short. So, just wonder how she look now....(still remember her pony tail)...
 
Mrs Ho,

Ya, cut her hair liao. Very ex. Junior League increase their price to $18. Will post her pics later tonight. Have not been taking her pic as she is always trying to snatch the camera from me.
 
Hi tracy,

u din receive the mailer of PP Mall in the letterbox? there is a promo for PP Junior league at $8 for children born in Apr/May/june and can use by 30Jun.
 
Hi all,

Thanks for your condolences! Tink my cousin did that bcoz of depression which caused him to be unable to think properly. He had been hearing voices, acting paranoid b4 his death. To the extent dat he suspected his neighbours have been evesdropping his conversations. He had losed his well-paid job when his ex-company got to know of his debts. Eversince then, he had not been able to get one of similar pay. He was also unhappy with his current job which earned him a meagre $700 basic only coz he was not given any OT work as the priority was mainly given to foreigners. He also complained dat his colleagues looked down on him. Guess many factors attributed to today's outcome.
 
hello.. i m here too.. just tat no time to post and read in office.

mummies carrying 2nd one bb
Any difference of the pregnancy symptoms between the first and second bbs so far?

Care to share?
 

Thanks Tracy, i have contacted the seller for the Pants and Diapers. The Diapers is cheaper by S$2.00, cannot remember the price for pants.

Matthias now cuts his hair at the neighbourhood saloon, no more JL. Hee Hee! Daddy finds it expensive and leh che to go all the way there for haircut.
 

Back
Top