(2005/08) Aug/Sept 05' MTBs

hi vone,
That's what the clinic dr told me too when having my boy's 18mth jab.
But the problem is my gal had her jab at various clinics!
Maybe i dropby the last clicnic and check with them one of these days.

cakey,

oic... no wonder u hv probs getting the cert. mayb u drop by d last clinic & c whether they can help or nt.

vone, is it true? but it's a duplication of what's presented in the health book right? I don't recall Z being issued the cert, and if it were SOP, believe the PD i went to for all his jabs should have given that..

tingting
i just spoke with Kidslink, the lady said if we're done with all the optional jabs, can let them know and they will prepare the cert, but cert still not as critical as Health Booklet.

that's good to hear.. tks wendy!

btw, anybody's kids take Manuka honey? It was quite hot in the forum previously, but I didn't take notice until recently when we started Zephan on honey to cure his blood-when-passing-motion problem. Thought since he's going to take that regularly might as well give him something better. Any comments?

tingting
isaac had blood in poo when he was a baby... Dr Tan suggested that we give him extra servings of fruit/ veg/ Vitagen etc to help. Fruits that work esp well for isaac are kiwi, dragonfruit, papaya, strawberries & blueberries.
and lots lots lots water for smooth poo.
he eats veggies too.

he knows that hard poo will cause him pain, so he will guai guai eat/ drink when we remind him of his poo problem.

cakey, tks for the info.
happy.gif

wendy, zephan takes loads of veggies n fruit too, but dunno why still have that problem... maybe bcos he takes a fair bit of bread recently... am starting him on oats for water soluble fibre... as for water intake.. quite hard to monitor on weekdays since he's at childcare.. just have to ask his teachers to be more mindful.

zephan's threshold for pain is quite high.. he'll say pass motion hard n painful, but not a concern enough for him to make extra efforts.. never cry or complain at toilet sessions.

tingting
I bought organic manuka honey UMF12 for anton and anders. I make my own yogurt so I put it inside the yogurt to sweeten it. I think u can try one bottle first and see if Zephan likes it. Manuka honey tastes very different from normal honey.

Hello mummies,
I know its kinda silly to advertise here but here goes..

Hubby selling Aug 07 Silver lexus RX350...please pm me for more info
happy.gif

Found this article quite interesting, so sharing with all the mummies here

How can I tell if my child has a learning disability?
During the preschool and kindergarten years, children learn at different rates and with different styles. But if your child has significant trouble with numbers, letters, or speech, she may have a learning disability. Learning disabilities are a category of disorders that affect how the brain processes information, making it difficult to grasp some concepts.

A child with a learning disability may understand a story perfectly when it is read to her but will struggle to answer questions about it afterward. Another child might easily recite the alphabet from A to Z but be unable to name individual letters when they are pointed out. Still another child may have a hard time putting together puzzles, tying her shoes, or buttoning a sweater.

Children with learning disabilities usually have normal or above normal intelligence, but they have trouble expressing their knowledge. Because it is so difficult for children with learning disabilities to master certain tasks, they often experience frustration, anger, low self-esteem, and even depression. Your child may know just what she wants to accomplish, to say or write or do, but getting there isn't a straight path.

"Information going in the eyes and ears is somehow not translated correctly; what comes out is not the correct answer," says Ron Liebman, M.D., a child psychiatrist in Lynnewood, Pa. "We're talking about children with normal IQs."

What are the warning signs of a learning disability in children age 5 and under?
Learning disabilities are often grouped into three categories: speech or language disorders; problems with reading, writing, and math skills; and a range of other disorders such as problems with coordination, motor skills, or memory.

Sometimes it's clear that a child has one kind of disability, such as dyslexia or dyscalculia — disorders that impair reading and math abilities, respectively. But it's also common for children to suffer from a combination of different disorders.

Attention deficit disorders are not by themselves learning disabilities. But children with learning disabilities frequently have attention problems, as well.

Red flags that could indicate a learning disability in children age 5 and under include:

• Delayed speech

• Pronunciation problems

• Difficulty learning new words

• Difficulty learning to read

• Trouble learning numbers or the alphabet

• Short attention span

• Difficulty following directions

• Poor grasp of a crayon or pen

How can I have my child evaluated?
Diagnosing learning disabilities is controversial. Some experts believe they are over diagnosed, a handy catchall for a host of normal differences in learning styles. Diagnosing learning disabilities in preschoolers and very young children is particularly controversial because they learn at such vastly different rates. According to Liebman, learning disabilities can't be firmly diagnosed until a child is in the third grade.

That doesn't mean you should ignore any concerns you have now. Careful diagnosis is important and early intervention can make a big difference in your child's academic future. If you are worried about your child's competence with reading, writing, numbers, or speech, talk about it with people who are familiar with your child, such as your child's teacher. Teachers are usually adept at spotting the early warning signs of a learning disability. If your child's teacher hasn't already raised the issue with you, don't hesitate to bring up your concerns. Talk to your child's doctor, too.

In many cases with preschool children, the best advice is to wait and see. Your child may be suffering from a momentary setback, but she'll catch up in no time. The same can be said for most kindergartners, too, but sometimes the signs of a learning disability are already strong at this age. "In kindergarten I noticed my son wasn't learning his letters, he wasn't reading anything, he had no interest in books," says Nicki Arnold, a psychologist and mother of a son with learning disabilities.

Your child will need a formal evaluation for learning disabilities, usually done by a child psychologist, neuropsychologist, neurodevelopmental pediatrician, or psychiatrist, to know for sure if she has a problem. The evaluation is done in an office setting and takes a couple of hours. Your child will be asked to do various tasks using toys and educational materials. Your public school district should be able to help arrange an evaluation, but they may recommend waiting until your child is 7 or 8 years old.

What can be done to help a child with learning disabilities?
Learning disabilities are permanent and don't go away. But much can be done to help your child compensate for the disability and learn to work around the problem. For instance, the teacher can present materials in different ways, and your child can practice skills over and over again in a setting that is supportive and patient. Children with learning disabilities can and do learn.

As a parent, one of the most important things you can do is support your child and assist with positive learning experiences. The goal is to focus on your child's strengths. If she struggles with the alphabet but loves animals, encourage that interest and help her become an animal expert. Give your child lots of self-esteem boosters by encouraging her skills and passions. "Plan activities that you know your child can do and be successful at," says Arnold, who nurtured her son's love for skiing when he was just 5 and wasn't doing well academically.

Don't try to be an expert on treating learning disabilities yourself. Your job is to provide encouragement, love, and patience and to seek out experts who have the skills to help your child learn. If your child has been diagnosed, she should be eligible for special services. State and federal disability laws require many children with learning disabilities to receive free services. There are special private schools for children with learning disabilities, but these can be expensive. Consult with your child's teacher or local organizations serving children with disabilities.

Psychological counseling can also help. Children with learning disabilities often feel like failures, leading to low self-esteem. They are often frustrated, and their frustration can turn into anger. "The emotional or psychological issues are, in my mind, more important than learning that two plus two equals four," Liebman says. Parents need to learn how to handle their child's emotional outbursts. Although conventional wisdom says that you shouldn't encourage a child having a tantrum or crying fit, this kind of emotional release can be beneficial for kids with learning disabilities. If you stay close to your child during these times and tell her that you love her and you know that things are hard for her, you show her that she doesn't have to struggle alone, you'll always be there to help her.

Remember to take care of yourself, too. Being the parent of a child with learning problems is stressful. Many disability organizations also have support groups and counseling for parents

hi ladies ...

very long since i last update =)

just back from my detailed scan today and gald to announce that everything is fine and will be having another Prince heehee

had a bad scare earlier on cos the gynae said that bb had thicker NT than normal so had to do a few other test to make sure that there are no genetic disorder etc

waited till the detailed scan to make sure that the bb has no physical defect too ... so finally can 'fan xin' now

EDD is on 27 March 09 ... couting down heehee

hi seabreeze,
Glad to hear from you
happy.gif
Time flies.. you already pass the awful 1st tri.

hi vone,
Recall that your ds is on full cream milk no longer on toddler milk powder. Does he had it cold from fridge or do you warm it up first? Or do you even keep the milk in fridge? Usually how many ml he have in 1 day?

seabreeze,
glad 2 hear tt everything is okie. hang in thr. soon it's gg 2 b mar liao.
happy.gif

cakey,
yes, he had it cold fr d fridge. bt wat i do is i wld put it outside on d table till it's nt so cold, then i give 2 him. he normally drinks 2 glasses a day, once in d morning, b4 he goes 2 school & once at nite, b4 he sleeps.

hi cakey, Zephan is also on cow's milk. what i do in the mornings is that i'll put the cup of milk into a bowl of hot water to warm it up. alternatively, u can warm it in the bottle warmer? in the afternoon on weekends i'll usually give it cold.

hi everyone, would also like to update that i'm expecting my #2 as well! Had not updated earlier cos my 1st tri wasn't v smooth. My edd's 28 Apr, and today's checkup showed that i shld be expecting a gal, but can only confirm at next month's detailed scan.
happy.gif

hi

want to ask if any of you would consider putting your child into a PAP kindergartns, ie put out from current non-PAP preschool? my dad and neighbour are hinting that i should do that for dom cos teaching structure similiar to primary school style and that teachers at childcare centre will be tired in late afternoon to do a proper teaching job. any tots?

my dad even told me to check which PAP kindergartns use the teaching method developed/endorsed by LKY's daughter.... *faint*

Congrats, tingting!

Seabreeze
how's YC preparing for his little bro?

Hi all, time flies and my baby gal is turning 5 months soon. Been back to work since end sep and very busy since. Still trying to hang in there for BF but cut down drastically liao. Only managed to TBF for 4 mths. Started supplementing recently cos even though I got lots of frozen EBM. My gal does not like the taste and reject the thaw milk, and mummy got no time to pump at work. Feel guilty but no choice cos workload is really quite bad at this time..
sad.gif

hi vone, tingting,
Thanks for sharing. Wat brand do you give to your boy? Do you give them those on the supermarket shelf one or those sold in the fridge (more exp)? I'm not too sure what's the difference but maybe the ones in fridge are more fresh?
And congrats to tingting
happy.gif
Must be exciting again researching and doing all the preparation for the new born.

ilmare,
I would prefer to put my kid into a kindergarten instead of childcare if there's other to care for him/her. I would think that the teacher would have more time to prepare their material and teachings. As for teaching structure etc I think for nursery class it's still quite similar to playgroup. I just visited my gal's PAP registration this morning and the class room is full of toys like playgroup. Anyway I think nowadays PAP is also moving towards 'learn thru play' teaching as a few PAP are already experimenting that.

ixwong,
Do take care... A happy mummy is more impt than TBF..

cakey

mmm mmm... i not too sure what i want to do lei. there is a PAP very near my place. just that i am working part time and my hours not fixed, may clashes with my parents' hours. we were planning to keep maid for another 2 yrs then send both boys to childcare and maidless, i still part time.

if send to PAP, then need help when i work. *sigh* dun know if can work out fixed timing for work???

what age can enroll PAP kindergarten? 4yrs? 5 yrs? maybe i just pop by to see... ...

ixwong... i also TBF bryan for 5-6mths, kena forced to give 1 feed of FM cos mum scared he will reject. stopped BM at 10mths. *miss those days, bring pumps and everything to work*

hi mummies ...

thanks for all the well wishes ...

YC is ok ... now he thinks that there are 2 'people' in my stomach cos there is my stomach that is above the belly button and another bump below the belly button (where di di is at) ... he says there is a baby in my stomach cos its round and di di is below *faint*

he will talk and sing to di di before we zzz but most of the time he is reminding his di di to call him Gor Gor if not he will beat him hahahaha so fierce right ...

yest i was looking thr the BP in the forum and ask YC to choose some rompers for di di and he chose all the BLACK and NAVY BLUE and he say cos di di is boy

tingting ...

can close factory liao heehee now everyone is trying to convince me that i should try for #3 cos i am having 2 boys but just the tot of it already tires me out now ...

told them that i need to be q crazy and forgetful before i will attempt to have #3 though i always envy ppl with 3 kids heehee dunno why i always feel that having 3 kids is just nice

haha seabreeze, my ideal state is also 3 children.. somehow feel that it's a better balance. we're also getting zephan to talk to bb n pray, to drill in his mind that bb is part of our family. haven't told him it's a gal yet, until the detailed scan confirms it. I'm in 2 minds abt preparing him that bb will take up mummy n daddy's time when born. Hb thinks it'll repel him against the bb.

cakey, tks. have been too busy at work to think much abt preparation though. But i already secured some lobang for gals' clothes liao.. haha.. zephan drinks the fresh milk fr the fridge selection, usually either farmhouse or meiji, depending on what's on offer. I usually go for the cheapest one, but draw a line at those from China. I also have the notion that they are fresher than packet milk, though not sure if it's accurate!

ilmare, if u ask around the curriculum in child care centres, they'll usually tell u the kindergarten syllabus is geared towards pri sch preparation, perhaps except montessori centres. So i'm not too worried abt that. Though PAP is cheaper, I prob wont change school for zephan cos he's happy in his current school.

ixwong, i'm also worried abt not being able to BF as long as i did for zephan. Back then i was away fr work for abt 7 months, but now with new portfolio, my boss doesn't seem receptive at me extending beyond the 4 months maternity. But well, so long as you've enjoyed the process thus far
happy.gif

tingting,
seems like ur hb's gut feel is correct hor. :p

ilmare,
4 me, i wldn't coz my boy is v happy in his current school. thus, even when we shifted further away fr his school, we still let him continue. unless dom is nt happy in his current school, then u can consider changing his school. changing 2 a new environment can b v upsetting 2 our kids.

ixwong,
dun feel bad. at least u managed 2 do it 4 4 mths. it's better than nothing. u can always use ur fbm 2 mix wif ur gal's solid feeds. provided they hvn't expired then.
happy.gif

cakey,
my boy loves hl milk, d plain 1. so we always buy tat 4 him.

seabreeze,
yc is v bossy hor... so cute... bt i m sure tat he wld love di di a lot.
happy.gif

ting ting ...

yap i would love to have 3 kids too but my preg is v tough so have to take a break and see how first ... tiring ler but i have a feeling that i might regret when i am old (as in really old hahahaha) if i stop at 2 hahahaha

think shouldnt highlight to him that both of you have to spread the attention to #2 lar ... maybe he wont even notice it =p

vone ...

yap he is just trying to be funny i guess ... but i trust that he will love his di di lar cos i keep telling him that di di will be his best fren and he oso agrees hahahaha

vone,

yah.. hope his hunch is really confirmed next month!
happy.gif

seabreeze,

i'll also have to see how after this preg.. though not that tough as compared to yours, but i've got childcare considerations.. no one to take care..

hmm, wanted to prepare zephan leh.. dowan him to think that everything will be rosy.. though he's v generous to allow bb to sleep with him in future, together with our dog! but mummy n daddy cannot, cos we have our own room.. :p

hey, does anyone have preggy clothes to sell cheap or give away? Pl PM me yah? Tks!

seabreeze,
hahaha... yc is v cute... when u c hw he loves didi, u wld feel v heartwarming 1. tt's hw i feel when i saw hw my boy sayangs mei mei. hehe...

tingting,
aiya... u nvr tell me earlier. if nt, tt day when u come over, i can show u. c whether u like or nt. hehe... let me noe when u r free, then u can pop over & take a look okie.

ting ting ...

think my mum is more than willing to help and they are all hoping to have a grand-daughter hahahaha so even though its so tough for me she keep telling me to bear with it and try one more time *faint*

i ever rem that she did mention that she regretted stopping at 3 cos even now with 3 kids ... most of us are not at home to spend time with them

for sleeping arrangement ... i am in a worse situation ... YC has yet to move out from my bed ... will have to bring him to choose a bed that he likes so that its easier to convince him to zzz on his own

vone ...

yap so far he is ok with di di and keep saying that he will share toys/clothes with di di =p i think he is q lonely oso so he looks forward for someone to play

esp now that its school holiday ... been bugging us to send him to school so that he can play with his frens - hopefully he will settle down well in Jan when we send him to the childcare cos he is deprived for 1mth + hahahaah

wendy,

i never bought much to begin with, survived mostly borrowed fr frens. but had #2 too late.. most of my frens closed shop n gave away their clothes.. :p

vone,

yah, Daryl is the super affectionate kid!
happy.gif
Will try to arrange another playdate soon. hehe..

seabreeze,

good that you're having family support. zephan started sleeping on his own at young age, but there was a period when he'll insist that i sleep with him in his room. Or u can follow Vone's example.. all 4 in the same room! That's what one of my cousin-in-laws did.. and the 2 kids are already attending primary school.

oh, and anyone with recommendation for a part time domestic helper working in Telok Kurau area?

seabreeze,
my boy has nvr moved out fr our bed. even when mei mei was borned, he still continued 2 sleep wif us. bt then it's aso partly coz we dun hv an extra rm in our hse. nw i m keeping my fingers & toes crossed tat my fil wld shift out. *evil grin*
dun worry, i m sure tat he's gg 2 okie in his new childcare. jus give him time 2 adjust. so which 1 r u sending him 2?

tingting,
u gd leh. can survived on borrowed maternity clothes. 4 me, i gt 2 buy new 1s. coz my frens all gt no kids 1. okie, u let me noe abt d playdate then. my boy has been telling me tat he wans zephan 2 come & play wif him. hehe...

vone,
only 1st time lucky lah.. hehe.. so u shld have more kids to make ur purchases worthwhile..
happy.gif
will let u know when i can go over.. i'm sure zephan will be more than happy too!

tingting ...

yap lucky that my mum is supportive and she is still of the age to take care of the kids for me =)

vone ...

am sending him to this child care called Happy Family at bishan st 11 ... its located near the library so very near to my place

my concern is the high student to teacher ratio and they seem to have very high expectation of kids entering into N2

keeping my finger crossed and going to monitor closely lar ... otherwise will use my maternity leave to find another child care for him lor and my mum even said that maybe if she can manage #2 then she dun mind that i just send him back to his current kindergarten since he loves it so much - guess that she bu she de to let YC go to cc hahahahaha

re: sleeping arrangement

i want to move him out of the bed cos i find the bed v squeezy now even though its a king size bed or maybe cos now my stomach is getting into the way =p

hi

thanks for all the advices for the childcare... dom is happy there, even hb also thinks we should consider switching to PAP... nothing is confirm lei...

went to speak to the staff this afternoon.... their programmes seems to be more tailored to preparing for primary 1... bit torn... anyway, no more slots for N2 next year, so he will be in current cc still.

re:sleeping arrangement
dom is sleeping in same room but on his mattress.... bry with maid... only good thing is both can sleep on their own. dun know when will let them share room lei...

re: 3 children
my hb also wants a daughter... imagine his disappointment when scan confirmed bry boy! he was bit *sian*, but i happy cos can share clothes, room, toys etc.

dun know if will try for gal, but not now... perhaps another 2-3yrs from now. everyone is telling to try for gal, i will ask them "you work for govt?"

already headache that parents are not supportive to help, in-laws in KL, parents got some expectations on how boys' education should be but can't commit on help, wants me to fix my work hours(not possible)... *sigh*

tingting,
4 d time being, i dun tink so. hving 2 kids drives me crazy oledi. dun noe hw 2 cope wif 3. anyway, hb is nt 2 keen aso. he said tt he dun wan 2 sign another 20 yrs contract.
kao_wink.gif

seabreeze,
ic. good tat u managed 2 find 1 so near ur plc.

ilmare,
dun b so stressed okie. jus do wat u tink is d best 4 u & d kids.

hmm, from my parents' own perspective.. it seems to be a lifelong contract.. haha.. once a parent, always a parent! well, not to dissuade you fr having #3 though!
happy.gif

<font color="0000ff">for those who still remember.... Is cutting for Nepia pull ups larger than for Mamy Poko pull ups?</font>

hi mummies,

Vone / tingting, can u remember how old u started your kids on fresh milk? Grace started to develop some allergy for FMs and now she's on fresh goat milk. But we are traveling the whole dec so am wondering if it's fine giving her fresh marigold / HL at 1.5yo.

hi, zephan started only after 2 years old. if Grace has some allergy issues, perhaps cow's milk may not be a good option? there's goat's powdered milk (Karihome?) that you can consider. maybe check with PD on suitable alternatives and try them out for a few days to detect any reaction. hope you still have time.
happy.gif

tingting,

congrats!
happy.gif
ur hb mus b v yaya papaya nw rite? hehe...

no prob abt hving dawn's clothes.
happy.gif
i'll pack them 4 u. so when r u coming by? u noe, tt day, my boy used his 'hp' 2 call u. he went like, helo, zephan's mummy, can u bring zephan 2 my hse &amp; play? hb &amp; i cracked up when we heard tt.

tks vone! yah, hb's really happy.. so are his parents cos his family only had boys. but my parents are just so-so, cos my side of the family had been all girls.. :p

haha.. really?! Daryl's so cute! i'll try to find a sat to drop by.. been busy shifting house (we moved last weekend), settling in and setting up our very first christmas tree yesterday. Maybe zephan will be talking abt it to Daryl in school on monday!
happy.gif

btw, which time slot have u booked for the PTC? we're going on 20th dec at 9am.. 1st slot as usual.. :p

tingting,

we r gg on d same day. bt our slot is at 11.40am. teacher sarah told me that it's d oni time slot available on tat day. nw i noe y. :p

wa lau.. at first i thought who was xxxxx twf on facebook... only when i saw the kids photos then i knew it's skippy...

vone, not only wendy, i also a bit blur in identifying the face to the nick.. hehe.. long time never meet up already mah..

not sure if we'll be meeting their nursery teacher as well? dunno who's stacie.

Back