(2001) calling all 2001 babies

fion, spanielpups: kai's is over, haha. last paper (chinese) on monday. mcq results came back already. not really bad but it's only mcq. all the best to ur boys too!

spanielpups: i bot kai the creative dictionary in P1. it's fun to use but u have to be really good in han yu pin yin to utilise it fully.

Hi Olwen,

I finally bgt the Besta e-dictionary on Mon. I just pray hard that he didn't rush thru his compo writing just to play with the Besta.....that is not the purpose of buying it. Sigh!

Exam starts today and ends on next Mon. Can't wait to get it over and done with. I have been telling my ds that that CHECKING THROUGH after finishing the paper is COMPULSORY. Hope he remembers and not flip through.

Hi spanielpups/Olwen,

Wow... envy envy leh!! so fast finish all the papers!! Me just started and hv to struggle one more week!!
sad.gif

spanielpups : I didn't buy any Chinese E-dictionary for him. Usually he uses the normal one "new century learner's chinese dic." How much u bought the e-dic? Don't worry, he will score better than SA1 ;)

Olwen: Wow...since Kai finshed his exam, now u got the mood to look forward your holidays liao!!
happy.gif
envy envy!!!

Hi,

I'm looking for P3 Chinese materials from ICL class to self-teach my ds next year (can't afford tuition) as need to be fair to the younger ones too. Can some kind parents who has kids attending this course please lend or sell the materials to me at a token? It is ok if there are writing on these. Please PM me. Thanks in advance for sharing.

Hi mothers, I am looking for a english speech and drama holiday enrichment course for my 9 yr old, any recommendation?

Hi Mummies,

Sigh... I'm tired and still hv 4 more days to go... mentally torture, can't take it liao...
sad.gif

Good luck to those who are already finished their exams
happy.gif

Hi Jessie: How's your boy? Finish his exam?? Or he's already start enjoy his early Dec holidays liao...
happy.gif

Hi Biyan,

Have you ever try HESS Education Centre? They do have Speech and Drama progm for 9yrs old... Here is the website, perhaps you may consider for his Dec holidays progm.
http://www.hess.com.sg/english/primary/speechanddrama/index.shtml

Hi Fion,

I was goggling for tutors and I come across your name in the forum. Are your kids being tutored one to one and if the tutor is good.

I am at my wits end, I send ds for group tuition, he disrupt class and talks alot. I have never seen a boy who loves talking so much. I engaged a one to one tutor and he chit chat with tutor!!!! I am pulling my hairs out!

Might get back results this week! Pray very hard for results improvement.

Hi Spanielpups,

Ya Ya, it's me heehee
happy.gif
While at that moment, I was desperately looking for 1-1 tutor. Heehee, which forum section you came across my name
happy.gif
Yap, I managed to got him 1-1 tutor for his mandarin. So now you're looking for 1-1 tutor too? For which subjects? Wow... your Ds got a high chances to become a lawyer when he grows up, heehee, joking
happy.gif

Hi Fion,

Saw your name in one of the forum in this website. Ds has the same Chinese tutor for one to one tuition since P2 but I see no improvement and result going downhill. Is your ds tutor good for mandarin?

My ds's over talking is making me go nuts, sometime I have no choice but to tell him to SHUT UP!

Hi spanielpups,

Hahah!! My boy is opposite yours, he is too quiet during the lesson till the tutor has to prompt him to talk!!! She's very good and if I'm not mistaken she's came from shanghai.

Thanks Fion for the information. HESS is too far east, I am in the west. I will keep looking.

I DIY tuition for my son, stress....

yo spanielpups, fion: how's things? wonder where jessie has gone.

fion: exams over, kai did so so. some improvement. but i'm learning not to get so stressed over it otherwise by the time it comes to number 2, i will have nervous breakdown. now just counting down to my trip. jia you for M!

Hi Olwen,

My DS improve his English but the rest no improvement leh! Math should be out today. Really headache... P3 to P4 is another big jump... dun work hard...sure 'Mati'.

Have an enjoyable trip Olwen!!!

Hi Olwen, Spanielpups and Fion,

Don't worry, I'm still around. Busy with work.

Boy exam last week finished liao. Results came back not very good especially his maths. Never expect him to score so low. Anyway, whats done cannot be undone. Just hope he can work harder to score better marks next year.

Tomorrow will be his last day of school. He is counting down and very excited. The allocation of classes will only know next month. Not sure whether he will still remain in the same class or posted to others.

Hi Olwen, Spanielpups and Fion,

Don't worry, I'm still around. Busy with work.

Boy exam last week finished liao. Results came back not very good especially his maths. Never expect him to score so low. Anyway, whats done cannot be undone. Just hope he can work harder to score better marks next year.

Tomorrow will be his last day of school. He is counting down and very excited. The allocation of classes will only know next month. Not sure whether he will still remain in the same class or posted to others.

Hi Mummies,

It seems that exam is over. All the best to your children and have a good break during the year end holidays.

My dd1 will rejoin her school next year. Time flies! Our children are going to be in P4!

Hi,

My boy's paper 2 results also released, fortunately ok, but Chinese has gone downhill as expected. For me, the option of tuition is out, my son is dead against tuition. This year end holiday period I need to start Project Chinese Rescue. I have ordered "My Paper", bought many "Little White Dragon" Chinese comics, will buy more Chinese composition guide books and DIY with my "half pail" Chinese knowledge. Anyone here can to share your experience?

same here. exam is over and the results also released. ds's HCL still the lowest one. got to work harder for his chinese this holiday.

Hi Mummies,

**sob sob** Looks like everyone finish the exams & got the results, except me
sad.gif

Olwen: Thanks for encouragement & do hope he won't disappointed you ;) Good that Kai shows some improvement. Yap, we hv to learn how to "看开". Take it too hard will get "heart attack easily" hahah!!
happy.gif

Spanielpups: I can't imagine what will happen come to P4, hmm.. think the stress will be triple than what we have now
sad.gif
How is it? Is my tutor willing to teach around your area?

Jessie: Good that now you are "stress free". Don't be too upset his maths result, I'm sure he'll work hard next round. I saw their P3 maths qns, really difficult leh esp Heuristic prob sum! I really see "stars" when he asked me how to solve!!! I remembered during my sch days, I don't hv heuristic qns?? Sigh... edu system keeps changing...
sad.gif
For my personal point of view, if I can choose, I don't want him to fall in the 1st class, that kind of stress is very tiring. As long as he don't fall below average, I'm contented liao. I believe they will learn along their way...
happy.gif

Hi JE: You're back in Sin? Welcome back! Does she's able to catch up when next yr P4? I heard that there's a big gap btw oversea and local educ system.

Hi Lim: me too, my chinese knowledge not that good too. I leave everything to the tutor to correct him esp compreh.

Hi Wei: Your ds study HCL, mine is using HCL textbook but the exam format is remain as NCL. But I don't know whether they will change when come to P4. Did you engage any tutor for your ds?

thanks Fion & spanielpups!

fion: last day for M last thur? must be such a relief for him.

Jessie: u & spanielpups r great mummies, working full time without helpers at home.

hi biyan: ur boy must be very good to survive so long without tuition. mine had tuition AND remedial since P2.

JE: welcome back! but if i were u, i'd stay there
happy.gif

Fion/Olwen,
Not yet, will be back before school opens. Yes, big gap. Spore education standard is higher. My dd1 should not have problem when she goes back cos her mummy has been coaching her. More on getting used to the learning style and making new friends again.

Olwen,
After trying out the primary school education here, I personally think that Spore education is better for my children.

Owen,

Let me borrow your word, he is "surviving". I let him practise those past yr papers papers printed FOC online.

Owen,

Let me borrow your word, he is "surviving". I let him practise those past yr exam papers printed FOC online.

Hi Olwen

Re your comments on full time working mom with no helpers.... as ones age, doing house chores is really tiring. Body spare parts also showing signs of wear and tears...
happy.gif

Hi mummies,

Boy enjoying his school holiday now. Has received his report book. Been quite upset with his overall results. Cracking my head how to make his engine start cos these few months he does not seem to put in effort on his work.

Hi Fion: I'm not sure whether boy will still remain in the 1st class since his results are not that good. I just keep my finger cross and wait for the class allocation to be announced next month. If he does then it would be another stress year for me and the boy.

Hi JE: Welcome back!

Hi Olwen: As agreed with Spanielpups, as ones age, doing house chores is really tiring. Just hope to have more time to rest.

Hi Mummies,

Yeah!! Exams finally over!!! Phew.... finally I can rest & relax for 1 month!!
happy.gif
So envious Olwen can go for overseas for sightseeing.. ;) Hmm... how wish I can... but no $$$...
sad.gif
Need to save $$$ for his tuition fees!!
sad.gif

Hi Olwen: No, M last paper is today not last Thursday. Now he is really relief and enjoys his early Dec holidays!! He tells me "Mummy no more work for me ok, exams over"!!!
sad.gif

Hi Jessie: Not too worry next yr class allocation. If he is allocate to the 1st class next yr, you and your boy will be more stressful becos part of it is come from the teachers and parents. So don't think too much, if is really happens nothing can change it. Work hard and study smart is the best solution!!
happy.gif

ah fion: tt's a long drawn out exam. poor u mummy.

ah jessie, spanielpups: get part time?

ah biyan: surviving better than drowning
happy.gif

ah JE: how i wish i cld try it myself & say the same thing.

see everybody next week.

Aiya, i also donno what to do to get my boy to do some work. My target to on Chinese, so this week, I started to get him key/copy one short Chinese composition into his Edumall website and learn to write 2 or 3 sentences. He need to complete such work before I get home in the evening. Hope that it will be useful to him.

I told my boy that we are saving about $300 every month and about 3 hours every week on tuition so we got not choice but to put in some more effort to do self study. Let's take a poll on how much money and time are we spending each month on tuition. (Enrichment don't count)

Thanks Jacky, are you a Singapore resident? China is a huge country, has a gigantic population with wide rigional difference in socioeconomic status. But based on China students studying in Singapore, they couple their hardwork with generous tuition and devilish determination.

Hi Mummies,

How's everyone? Your kids got back the report book? My boy passed all the subjects
happy.gif
Compare last term, he did improved but still need to work hard for his mandarin. His Mandarin tchr said he needs to read MORE chinese books becos P4 they will do more writing... and that's make me more worry
sad.gif

Hi Lim,

I spend on his tuition fees every month $480 and 3.5hrs once a week!! I always tell him that if you can do without tuition, we can save up alot and every year we can go for a long holiday!!! Sigh... hope one day he will "kai qiao"

Hi Jessie: How are you? Did your boy manage to get into 1st class? If he remain in the 1st class, congrats
happy.gif
!! "Touchwood" if unable to make it, never mind strike harder for next yr P4.

Hi Christyclaire: Thanks for sharing your method!!
happy.gif

ah biyan: i'm spending $240 on chinese tuition for Kai, 1.5 hours per week. it's $60 per lesson, no go no pay. my mum (former school teacher) is coaching kai in all his other subjects. on the surface is free, but comes w lots of nagging & complaining at me so i count tt as expense too
happy.gif

ah fion: my husband supposed to go collect kai's report & school book order today too. haiz. quite scary.

Hi Mommies,

Last day of sch for DS today. Phew! DS improve in Math and Eng. Sci and MT went downhill.... got to work hard for next year!!!! VERY VERY HARD!!!

Are your kids having the same classmates for next year? My son will have another set of classmates again. Why can't the school just let them have the same set of classmates I wonder.

my ds got back the report book, not bad, got improve.But still don't know which class he will in next year. his school suddenly want to change the classes name and the ranking system.
one thing is sure that he will also have another set of classmates.

Hi Wei,

My ds has the same classmates and form teacher for P1 and P2 and their relationship was very good until P3 when he has a new set of classmates. He was very upset and it took a while for him to mix with the new ones.

Hi Fion: I'm fine, thank you. My boy received his report book on his last day of school two weeks ago. By looking at his overall, results are not as good as what I expected. I still did not know which class he will be in next year cos the allocation of classes can only be known on 1st Dec. I just keep my finger cross cos I'm not sure base on the results he scored whether can qualify to stay put in the 1st class. If he can gets into 1st class then will be another stress year for me and him. The 1st class will have some interaction with the GEP pupils. So it could be tough also. If he can't get in, it could be less stressful for us but he will be very upset.

Hi Spanielpups: My boy P1 and P2 also has the same form teacher and same classmates. P3 due to streaming he has a new set of classmates. One whole year gone and I still cannot recognise all their faces
sad.gif
Next year not sure will have another set of new faces or not. Just wait and see....

Hi Olwen: I also put my boy on chinese and english tuition. Although I can teach him chinese myself but I rather spend the $ cos teaching him can really vomit blood. He will keep arguing with me and my blood pressure will go up and up and up......

Hi mummies: Does your child's exam include english and chinese composition? I just get to know my friend's son P1 and P2 no composition exam. No wonder he can be number 1 in school for 2 years.

Jessie, my son's school has composition for both Chinese & English. But they don't have Chinese sentence construction (P1 to 3)

my son's school also has composition for chinese and English(P2 onwards)for SA1 and SA2. I remember in P1, they only have sentence construction for both chinese and English. In P3, they still have sentence construction for chinese paper 2.

ah jessie: i also will vomit blood.

ah spanielpups: my kai has same classmates for P1 & 2 then change a set of classmates for P3 who follow thru P4.

composition, think mine started in P2. but till P3 they are still doing picture compo.

Hi Wei & Olwen

Mine from P1 already has picture composition. Either in 4 pictures or 1 big picture. As they go to P3, the teachers require them to write more with more detail description. By looking through those compo samples written by his classmates that the teachers gave out as model sample reference I almost fainted. Their writing is so fantastic and so smooth. They are able to use those words, phases and idoms correctly and apply on their compo to make it so lively and interesting. Really amazing!

I also wondering those school that did not practice composition in lower primary how are the children going to cope?

Back