(2001) calling all 2001 babies

ah fion, spanielpups, jessie! merry christmas to everybody in advance. i got kai's books long ago. even assessments. yup, the whole hols my mum has been forcing him to do do do. take care all. nightmare starts tomoro, my boss coming back from his super long leave.

Hi, Mummies,
Times goes fast. school will reopen soon.
Hi, Jessie: you are not the only one. I just bought my boy's book yesterday from popular. Still left a bit which were only avalible from school. will let my son to buy when the school reopen.
Same here, son will have lots of new friends because he was posted to new class next year. hope he feel comfortable with it.

Hi Mummies,

I'm still battling my feverish and a badly sore throat since Sat...
sad.gif
still hasn't recover *sob sob**
sad.gif
I had seen the doctor and took the medicine but still won't subside leh.. School going to reopen... still left 2 more days to welcome yr 2011!! I don't want to sick thru the yr!!!
sad.gif
HELP!!!! **sob sob**

Poor Fion, take care ok. I am also down with a mild cold and cough. Drinking tons of herbal drink. M also worried about passing it to my DS also.

Hi Wei, I bought the books from the school bookstore but some of the books are also not available. They said only school reopen then the books will be here. 2 days ago went to get his PE short also not stock
sad.gif
Lucky he has one to spare now. Otherwise will not have PE short to wear for PE lesson. Mine will have half the class of new friends and half the class of old friends. Hopefully he can get along with them.

Hi Fion, you have to drink more water and have good rest. I was down with fever and cough then running nose last month. The cough lasted for 1 1/2 months
sad.gif
Seen doctor for 3 times also cannot cure. Especially at night I will keep "singing song" until I have to move to the next room and sleep. Worried it will pass to my boy and disturb their sleep. New year coming take good care of yourself. Get well soon.

Hi spanielpups, never take cold drink or else your cough cannot be recover. Rest well and get well soon.

Hi Olwen, happy new year to you. Next week has to start the battle again.

Happy New Year mummies!

Hi Mummies,

Happy New Year to everyone!!
happy.gif
Hope it's not too late
happy.gif

Thanks everyone and I'm now fully recovered!
happy.gif
Phew... I seek for 2nd doctor opinion and the doctor gave stronger medicine for my badly throat infection & fever. Lucky get well before the school reopen!! How's your kids first day of school? My boy tells me that he has different teachers teach in different subjects. Total he has 3 teachers who is teaching his class this year. Well, our engine stall and need to restart liao
happy.gif
Jia you!!

good to hear from u fion! our engine really must start again. i noticed kai's class this year has many teachers too.

ah Jessie! happy new year & kick start engine too hor.

same here in my son's class, each main subject got one teacher, total 4. big difference from last year.In P3, FT teacher teach english, math and science, then plus one chinese teacher. Got more homework than last year.

Hi Mummies,

My son today brings home 4 mealworms from sch!! It's a part of his Science project in first semester. They need to monitor and observe growing stages of mealworms and I think this is also part of his CA1 qns... Last year, experiment is bread or beans and this time is mealworms... hmm... what would it be for next yr... ???

Hi Olwen,

Kai's also has different teachers in each subjects. How's he doing? Kai's sch has streaming this year? M's sch has and I tell him to study smart and also told him the consequences behind if he don't put in effort in every subjects. Hope he knows what I mean but I doubt so...
sad.gif

Fion, my son bought home his 4 mealworms last year and it turn into pupa and then after that no news....so in the end...throw away!!! My son was doing Diversity and Cycles for P3 last year. I understand some school don't go into Cycles but other topics.

Olwen, I think I have said the same thing to my son umpteen times...obviously he doesn't understand that is why I am still repeating!

Also, since P1, my son has different teachers for each subject so I was wonderting what happen as every class in P1 I knew then have 1 teacher to at least few subjects.

CA1 is set for 28 Feb....faint!

Hi Mummies,

Happy New Year!

Mine all subjects all different teachers. Homework also alot. Inaddition to research, projects, spelling/dictation, etc. Faint
sad.gif
Some mummies complaint that their DS do their homework till midnight. Homework one after another taken out from their bags never ending.... and the boys are already so sleepy. So "Ko Lian"
sad.gif

Boy has his 1st science CA1 paper today. Next week on Maths.

School also giving supplementary lessons after school. Plus CCA, one week must stay back 3-4 times. Come back must do homework. Really pity them.

A big different this year. More research to do and even have to bring thumbdrives for different subjects. Mine hardly sit infront of pc not sure know how to operate or not or simply lost the thumbdrives or break the headphone
sad.gif

Hi Jessie,

Is the school nuts? CA1 now? The school only just started 3 wks ago...what is there to test?? Piangz...dun understand.

P4 getting more tough. English dictation daily about 3 sentences. Chinese dictation (memorize on yr own), and Chinese spelling list (no more 2 words...all in sentences) twice a week!

With tuition, CCA...really "TIME NO ENUFF"!!!

Ha? Jessie: CA1 already started?
Hi spanielpups: so many work for a P4 kids? Really pity them. seems that P3 to P4 is a big jump. How about P5 and P6, no time to sleep?

Wei, P5 to P6...no need to sleep already...kids can burn midnight oil...... Unless one day has 36 hours!

Olwen, ya all back online.....after CNY, ds can start preparing for CA1. I just don't understand the need of CA1...can;t they just have SA1 and SA2...what is the purpose of CA1 and CA2?

Hi Mummies,

My boy CA1 also start on the Week 6 and Week 9
sad.gif

Sigh... don't think I hv the mood to celebrate CNY.
sad.gif
He also has supplementary class after sch and almost everyday he has homework to bring home to do. Beside this, he has 20 spelling words, 5 sentences dictation and 10 long sentences words for Ting Xie to learn... Where got the time to practice qns from assessment books??? I find that P4 exams preparation time is getting shorter and shorter.. I can't imagine how he's going to manage like this...
sad.gif
Think this CA1 I hv to lower down my expectation
sad.gif

spanielpups & fion: happy new year! well, we won't understand the meaning of lots of things. my kai is having a funny method of assessing science for CA1. till now i don't understand it.

ah jessie, spaniel, fion, wei & cjmum: happy new year! may the rabbit bring us prosperity & our kids better grades. ha.

Hi Spanielpups, Wei, Olwen & Fion,

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

My boy school don't practice just one paper for CA1. They will spilt the paper into many. Not only per week has paper to test. Those assessments that they did in class, spelling that they learn, project that they do all marks are counted. So from beginning of the year I started to "bo eng" with him until now. His English teacher ask them to write alot. Besides the spelling and dictation still have extra to test. Chinese homework also alot of pages. Maths they majority did in class. Yesterday their 1st Maths paper I heard very difficult. Champ liao lor! Science will be project which need them to go to computer lab and did a comic life cycle. The boy has to stay back in school to finish up the work with thumbdrive. I fainted when he was ask to get a thumbdrive with minimum 2GB for science and 4GB for music. Rush all my way to get one for him at 11pm at 24 hours NTUC Xtra as my spare thumbdrive at home capacity is not that big. He sometimes has so many homework that he could hardly finish as his was so tired. I heard some boys did until midnight. Poor thing!

Also, supplementary class after school for 2 days a week. CCA once a week. Minimum 3 times a week has to stay back. If have project to do still have to stay back. Then come back with homework. Seow liao
sad.gif

I don't dare to think of how will he be when he goes to P5. Just get myself settle for P4 first.

Any mummies here let your child go for English tuition or creative writing? Is one to one better or at tuition centre? Please provide information or can PM me for any good recommendation. Thank you!

Hello Olwen, Fion, Jessie, Wei,

Happy Lunar New Year!!!! So fast, tomorrow is eve!!! After eve is CA1.....

Yes, Olwen, we need the wishes for our kids to get better grades and quickly "KAI QIAO"!!!! Haha.

HI Jessie,

Seems like alot of work for your son. He is in one of the top class right? Perhaps that is why there are so many homework as teacher try to feed them loads of stuff. My son is already struggling with his CHinese Dictation and Chinese Spelling! Seems to spend days studying just that and no time for revision. sigh! We parents can only nag at them to study, ultimately it is whether he is willing to work hard that counts!

Hi Jessie, Olwen, Spanielpups & all mummies,

恭喜发财,事事顺心!

Hi Jessie,

As what spanielpups said, is he in the top class? He seems having lots of homework fr sch.. poor boy how to cope with it... do you feedback to his teacher? Which sch is he from? I'm curious, is the sch going to compete with other neighbourhood sch? We can't do anything but we can only help them by giving them love and care.

Hi spanielpups,

Wow.. he has chinese dictation liao..! Mine only chinese spelling. Hv you got him a chinese tutor? Ya, agreed with you. We can't do much, only nag or push them to do their work. Hope they understand our "苦心"!

Hi Olwen,

Can share what sort of funny method of assessing science for his CA1? For M his project for science is observe the mealworms growing stages. So far the mealworms haven't turn into beetles leh!! I realised that mealworms like to hide under the oats, don't know whether they are sleeping or dead?? But I make use of this opportunity to tell M that don't be lazy, lazy people won't score well! People used to say "lazy worm" now you see your 4 mealworms are so lazy sleep all the days
happy.gif

morning fion, jessie & spanielpups.

ya, my kai also came & asked me for a thumbdrive last night. i was like what the??? why do they need a thumbdrive at this age? alamak.

fion: kai's school is assessing science for CA1 by a series of practical tests which they just give a list of topics & we have to grope in the dark to prepare him. plus P3 topics too! so stupid. i'm starting to find his school really stupid.

Hi Fion, Jessie, Olwen,

Olwen - I think maybe I should standby one thumbdrive too... just incase. My ds has a habit of telling me things at the very last minute. I supposed 1G is enough or too large?

My ds's CA1 starts 28 Feb, which means 20 days to revise his work. Actually I think CAs are very unnecessary!!! Waste of time, stress kids, stress parents!! It would be miracle with all these stress that we live to a ripe old age!!!

Hi Spanielpups, Fion, Olwen & mummies,

Happy Lunar New Year!

Hi Spanielpups,

This year boy has "dropped" from best class to 2nd best class. As compared to the best class his homework is not as much as them. I count myself lucky he has come to this class. Firstly, the homework is not as much as the best class. Secondly, I need not get to see those kiasu parents again
happy.gif
Dealing with those parents is very stressful
sad.gif

Hi Fion,

Some parents did feedback to the form teacher about the homework during their CNY celebration party and she said she will feedback to the vice principal. Let's wait and see any changes.... His school is located in Bishan. Make a guess...

Yours very lucky liao. Only chinese spelling without dictation. Mine from last year already have to memorise the long paragraph of super difficult dictation. Sometimes they just memorise for the sake of memorising. Not even knowing the meaning.

I also saw some mealworms in his class this morning. Guess they are also doing the same project as what your child is doing. Life cycle of mealworms. Yuck!

You better standby a thumbdrive just in case of emergency. I suggest you get a bigger capacity of 2-4GB. Just in case they have lots to import into their thumbdrive.

Hi Olwen,

Your reaction is the same as me. When the moment he told me he needs thumbdrive. I also like ???? Why ???

Anyway, we just try out best to help our kids with whatever they needed from us. Jiayou mummies!

spanielpups: i doubt 1 GB is enough. it wasn't enough for kai.

jessie: happy new year! just came back from dept lunch.

ah fion: i'm changing job. yes, again. this time to do compliance. pay is 25% more than my current place. & the boss is MD, not lawyer. i've had enough of my boss here.

forgot to ask, did anybody read AWSJ about prof amy chua, the tiger mother?

Hi Mummies,

Does your child cry when he/she can't solve the problems? Mine, still like a baby, keeping crying non-stop when he faces problems esp Math. I tell him many times, crying can't solve your problem. The only way is stop crying and look for solution but he don't seems to understand
sad.gif

Hi Jessie,

You are right, my son tells me that teacher asked we to revise the spelling list but never ask we to check or know the meaning!! faintz...
sad.gif
Last year, his teacher already requested them to bring 2GB thumbdrive to sch for projects use and they even learn how to operate UMPC. U stay at Bishan, hmmm... his sch is a Top sch or normal neighbourhood sch? Diff to guess??? Tell me lah,

Hi spanielpups,

Wow.. that's fast 28/2 starts CA!! Mine, still waiting for his sch to release the timetable. I guess should be around the corner. Actually, those sch doesn't practice CA is becos they hv term/class test but that also given marks. I think for CA is quite similar to class test. I think the difference btw CA & class test is, class test is given when each subject has cover but for CAs are cover all the subjects then they test them all gua...

Hi Olwen,

Huh...! You changed job!! Where is the location? Wow.. paying 25% more than your previous job! Sound like your ex-boss is difficult to handle, lady boss? I was too busy these few weeks, I didn't read the article abt the AWSJ. What's going on?
happy.gif

Hi Fion,

MY son don't cry when he can't solve problem sum. His brain will freeze and he will keep staring at the sum as if the answer will become visible if he stare hard enough. After that he will tell you he don't know how to solve it. His brain also freezes when it involves big numbers!

Hi Olwen,

Wow.... can get a job with paying 25% more than your current job. Envy so much!

Have not read AWSJ about prof amy chua, the tiger mother. What is the news about?

Hi Fion,

I don't stay in Bishan. Boy is studying in CHS.

My boy don't cry when he can't solve the problem. Like Spanielpups's son, he will keep staring at the sum as if the answer will come out by itself. Now he is better as I keep reminding him if he don't know just do the other question first. After that then come back to do the one that he don't know. If really cannot solve ask the teacher for help.

ah fion: no lah, my current boss is male, we call me Lord Voldemort becos his name starts with V. it is not tt i am getting so much more here hor, it is becos i am severely underpaid at my current place. i came in during the recession so i got a really bad deal. my new office is in raffles place.

ah spanielpups, Jessie: my son freezes even when it's not difficult problems, haha! more likely he's day dreaming.

let me go find the link for the AWSJ article about the tiger mother.

Hi spanielpups/Jessie/Olwen,

At least they stare at the sum rather than crying. Mine, the more he can't solve the louder he cried!! faintz..
sad.gif
He really needs to brain wash or change his attitude when come to solve problems sum!!

Hi Jessie,

Wow... ur boy studying in CHS! You must be very stress
sad.gif
Is it last time u used to stay Bishan? How do your boy get a place in CHS where u don't stay there?? Sorry, I'm just curious
happy.gif

Hi Olwen,

Is good that you found a job u like and paying 25% of your current job. Wow... new office at raffles place, very convenience if travel by train.
happy.gif

allo fion! yup. i have been taking train to work since i first started working in town from 2004. used to squeezing w ppl already. no choice. come n meet me for lunch sometime lah. lost ur email, don't know how to keep in touch w u now.

Hi Everyone!
I'm looking for a 1-1 Math tutor for my P4 gal. Anyone has a good one to intro? I'm staying at North area. Thks!

Hi Fion,

I don't stay in Bishan. I ever applied the flat there but not selected. My husband is old boy of CHS so our boy gets the priority to enrol to this school. From what I know even you are within 1km still have to ballot cos the number of enrollment is more than the vacancy they have
sad.gif
Actually I did consider quite some time before I decided to put my boy there. Knowing their high standard and my daily ferry him there and back. At times I wondering did I make the right decision ???

Hi Olwen,

When did you start your new job? What kind of job is that? I ever worked in town and I don't really like there. Everyday seeing people rushing here and there. MRT pack with people. Lunch time no where to find a place to sit. Everyday must dress up....
sad.gif

Hi mummies,

What kind of vitamins you let your child take everyday? How much you spend every month on these? Please share.

hi ah jessie! don't say tt. i think u made a great decision to put him there. ur boy is v bright from the looks of it & it is better to stretch him now than let him get lazy & never meet his full potential.

i give my kids gummies & omega 3. spend at least $50 a month on these things. can't say it has helped kai get smarter tho
happy.gif

Hi Jessie and Olwen,

Vitamins only make the manufacturer Richer and we parents Poorer lah. It also depends on what they put inside the vitamins. Poor quality stuff or good one.

CA1 Math today, I am praying hard. Tmr is Chinese...I am praying even harder!!!

spanielpups: ya boy. i used to be a usana member then i found the amount i was selling every month not enough to cover what i was buying & giving to family members. enough. so $50 now i find not so bad as tt time i was spending $150 to fulfill the spending quota.

kai's maths, engligh & chinese paper 1 r all over. next week english & chinese compo. so he's more relaxed today. first friday mass in his school this morning. i told him to pray for mercy to be shown to him in his CA exams
happy.gif

Hi Jessie,

Don't think too much, most impt is look forward. Not too worries your boy's result. He still can maint his standard till P4, consider not bad. If you compare those parent's kid fail their exams every year, they will ask you a qns "can we exchange our kids results"? hahah
happy.gif
Sound like you don't like to work town area. Lots of ppl like to work in town area becos good location and they can dress up.
happy.gif
My boy takes Redoxon Vit. C cheap cheap one...
happy.gif

Hi spanielpups,

Wow... CA1 weeks!! Don't worry, your boy won't disappointed you. He will score with flying colours!!
happy.gif

Hi Olwen,

You "bo sim" lost my email
sad.gif
here is my email:[email protected]. Feel free chat chat or buzz me. Sure, will look for you if I go down town... So fast, Kai had completed his main papers and now left paper 2. Hope he won't pump up your blood pressure, hahah joking!! I'm sure this round he can do well and give u a surprise!!
happy.gif

Hi stcywng,

Which area you are staying? I'm also staying at North area.

ah fion: God decided tt kai needs to be taught a lesson this time
sad.gif
haiz, v bad. everything band 2 or 3. science is a series of small tests so not got the full results yet.

Hi Mummies,

How's everyone here? Wow.. school holidays started! How do you spend this 1 week holidays with your kid?

Hi Olwen,

Not bad, he's able to score band 2 or 3 at least he passed all subjects. I believe if their brain start to "kai qiao", they will pick up very fast. Think we hv to be patience wait and wait...
sad.gif
How's your job? I believe now your 3 little precious running about and learn how to communicate with you
happy.gif

Hello everyone!
I'm new to this site and forum and would like to ask if anyone's been on cultural trips with young children, specifically preschoolers. I'm writing an article about cultural trips with preschoolers - where children experience a country's social, cultural, historial background on a trip. Needs to be regional - Australia, Vietnam, Indonesia, China, Taiwan - you get the idea.
PM me if you're keen to have your family featured or you know someone who's done a trip like this. Thanks in advance!

Hello Fion, Olwen, Jessie

How are you and thank goodness SA1 is over. Now just waiting for the results! June holiday is coming so mommies can destressed already....

Hi spanielpups,

I'm fine nice to hear from you. Few weeks ago very busy preparing his revision and now finally can R&R liao
happy.gif
PTM was schedule on 25/5, hopefully everything goes smooth
happy.gif
How are you? Your boy coping well? Planning any holidays trip this Jun Holidays?
happy.gif

Hi Fion,

DS's PTM is on 27/5 so 26/5 is last day of sch. DS is weak in MT unfortunately so got to spend more time on tt. There will be a subject-based banding session for parents next week too. Let's hope our kids give us PLEASANT Surprises this week. Planning to go Taiwan during the holidays. How about you?

Hi spanielpups,

So envious going to Taiwan!!! We didn't plan for Jun Holidays as my husband too busy and can't take leave. Perhaps, plan for Dec holidays
happy.gif
My boy's sch has subjects banding too. I told him the different btw "standard & foundation" but he don't seems to be bother, sigh...
sad.gif
Think I got to wait another few more years for him to "kai qiao"

Hi spanielpups, hi Fion!

Had PTM at the kindergarten today so morning leave. My kai hopefully is starting to 开窍,fion. Everything managed to do better than expected this time. One band 1 only but the rest also not too bad. Plus he is starting to take care of his own things. Kept his grade 3 cert nicely. He's probably quite proud of it.

Sounds like ur boys r doing good too!

Hi Fion, Owlen

I am also waiting for DS to 'Kai Qiao". (Good for you Owlen!) But mine seems to "Kai Qiao" in handwriting. Even teachers were praising him for that improvement. But still need DS to "Kai Qiao" on other areas as well. waiting....waiting. Results came back with some pleasant and some nasty surprises!

Hi Spanielpups, Fion & Olwen,

How's everyone?

Exam finally over and now is time to relax. Past few weeks were so busy with his revision plus some family issues made me stress to the maximum. These few days exam papers were being returned. Get to know all the marks liao. I'm proud with his maths but unsatisfied with his science. Wondering how to improve his science. Any idea?

Back