(2001) calling all 2001 babies

Hi Mommies,

My ds has 1 big pic and sentence writing for P1 and for P2, it is down to 4 pics and P3 is 3 pics and the last pic is a question marks and the student has to decide the ending.

Hi Mummies,

Any good assessment books to recommend for P4 EL/Maths/Chn/Sci? In the market there are too many of them!! Not sure which one is good?? My boy has a new set of classmates next yr.

Hi Jessie: Which tuition centre you send your boy for EL/Chn? Wow.. really mentally torture leh, have to wait till 1st Dec to know the class allocation. Hmm... can't they just review during PTM??

Hi Olwen: How is it? Kai managed to score well? I'm sure he did improved!! You came back from your holidays break??

Hi Fion,
Just to share what my kids are using.

For Math,
Both Andrew Er and Fabian Ng books are good. Casco Classroom IQ Mathmatics has interesting questions, my boy likes it.

For English,
Grammar and Vocab-my boy prefers Casco Challenging English
Comprehension-SAP Comprehension Fast Forward

For Science,
My boy has been using a set by EPH (Renee Chong), not bad has notes and challenging questions.
Also bought him Ultimate Science Guide by EPH for supplementary reading.

For Chinese,
I mainly use exam papers from other schools to do revision with him.

Hope this helps. Email me if you have queries.

Fion,
I usually get EPH books. Not sure about P4 assessment books, will only buy after school opens.

Lim,
I didn't send my dd1 to any tuition/enrichment since young. Will see how she fares next year.

Hi, WahWah, Thank you for the information. I also buy the Fabian Ng's math for my son. But hardly got time to do.
Science is the only subject that I bought two sets of assessment book(Ultimate Science and janet sim's) for my son because the text book is too simple.

Hi Mommies,

Agreed with Wei that simply learning from the Science textbook is not enough as I find it not detailed enough, utlimate science guide is a good book with more explanation and details. I also get him the Challenging Science Assessment Book as I find it good. Some schools started with Diversity and Cycles, while others does the Diversity and Systems first.

Hi Wei,
As a matter of fact, those Math assessment books are mainly 'use' by me! I need to look at the examples to learn to solve different types of problems so that I know if my son's solutions are right or wrong.

hi wahwah: thanks for the tips!

ah jessie: not only is it challenging to do compo for those who did not start earlier, i find those not doing higher chinese do so much easier compre, the questions are in MCQ!

ah spanielpups: ur boy's teachers v innovative
happy.gif

ah fion: thanks for the kind wishes. kai improved slightly. not well but at least better than SA1. this hols will be a lot of catching up. thanks to wei's & wahwah's recommendations, i'm going to do a lot of shopping at popular this week.

Hi, wahwah: Similar here. I usually printed out the top school paper and read myself first, then pick some questions for my son to do.

Hi spanielpups: my son's school started with the Diversity and Systems this year.

Hi Olwen, yes, I also planed to buy son's text book from popular.

Hi Mummies,

Thank you so much for your info. & will go to popular this weekend to hv a look...
happy.gif

Sigh...
sad.gif
It's so difficult to get my boy to read others stories books. He always look for this fav "BeastQuest Bk" or comics in the library, sigh... Any good & interesting stories books to recommend? TIA
happy.gif

Beast Quest better than nothing. My boy also read Wimpy Kid & 39 Clues. I mail order some of his books from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk
The listed prices of the books include delivery. Most of the time, prices are cheaper than 20% discounted prices of Popular. I choose to pay in US$ via credit card. The books ordered get delivered individually via air mail, no need to consolidate order. My boy prefers new story books (fiction). The non fiction ones we borrow from NLB

Hi Fion,
Just to share some of the books my boy likes. Take a look at the links to find out more about the books.

<font color="0000ff">Charlie Small: Charlie in the Underworld</font>
http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Small-5-Underworld/dp/0385751788

<font color="0000ff">How to Train Your Dragon Book 3: How to Speak Dragonese</font>
http://www.amazon.com/How-Train-Your-Dragon-Book/dp/0316085294/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1290730176&amp;sr=1-3

<font color="0000ff">You're a Bad Man, Mr. Gum!</font>
http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Bad-Man-Mr-Gum/dp/1405223103/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1290730305&amp;sr=1-1
(We have a few books in this series, easy to read and funny, both my kids enjoy them!)

<font color="0000ff">The Number Devil</font>
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&amp;field-keywords=the+number+devil&amp;x=22&amp;y=15

He also likes Jeremy Strong books, they are easy to read, esp during the morning reading time in school where they only have 15mins to read.
<font color="0000ff">Indoor Pirates on Treasure Island</font>
http://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Pirates-Treasure-Island-Jeremy/dp/0140386378/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1290730542&amp;sr=1-4

I also buy books from Bookdepository.

ah biyan &amp; wahwah: really envy u all, my kai doesn't have a habit of reading. but he loves comics especially tin tin. aiya.

ah wei: ur school is not using pacific bookstores ah?

ah fion: hi 5. but i'm going today during lunch time. the popular next to my office is biggest in singapore.

Hi wahwah/biyan,

Wow... that's great!! Thank you so much for the links, hmm... at least he won't hv to stick to one story book
happy.gif
As what Olwen said, really really envy your kids have a habit of reading. No matter how I encourage my boy, he only read those books with short sentences and come with pictures
sad.gif

Hi wahwah,

I've replied your mail, did you rec'd my mail?

Hi Olwen,

Oh no!! you "eat snake" lunch time go to popular!!! Hahahah!!!
happy.gif
Did you know pop club mag come with 1 book voucher, you can use it when you purhcase their assessment books
happy.gif

Hi, Mummies,
My son likes to read. but most of them are adventures and ghost. Recently, likes to read comics.
Anyone try to buy the book from the book people (UK). They have some very good collections. But I am not qualified to post in MEC spree (overseas).

Hi Olwen, The service of the bookshop vendor in my son's school is very bad. went there several times from holiday until the school reopen still can't buy the whole set.

Hi Fion,
replied your email.

Hi Olwen,
My son is not really an avid reader, he only reads if he finds the books interesting. So my job is to source for books that may interest him. Tintin is nice comic, I love them when I was young, trying to introduce to my son.

Hi Wei,
You can try to email or PM the spree organiser if you can't post in the overseas spree thread. Most of them will take your order.

Hi Wahwah,
Thanks for the information. Will try to email the spree organizer. My son like the Roald Dahl collection.

Fion,
My dd1 loves to read. You may try authors like Enid Blyton, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Roald Dahl, C S Lewis, E B White, Paul Jennings, Morris Gleitzman. I usually borrow books from libraries. For chinese, I order from dangdang.com

Hi JE,

I thot Dangdang can only deliver within China? I was trying to place order but thot I saw delivery within China. Maybe my chinese not so good I didn't read properly. Haha. Let me know. I will try ordering it again. I want to order the 杨红樱 books. It is so much cheaper.

Hi Mummies,
I'm sending out Invitations to all mums for this weekend(Saturday &amp; Sunday) workshop for your kids, bring your kids to learn something that will help them in their school life as well as future challenges.
Do leave me your email address or email me at [email protected] or call me at 96900168. Confirmation is needed for seats and seats are limited as holidays are here.

regards

Andy

HI JE,

Thanks. I am trying to make my son read more Chinese storybooks to improve his Chinese. could you recommend some of her books that have hanyupin yin?

Spanielpups,
I only bought one chinese book with hanyupinyin, 木偶奇遇记. My dd1 loves it. You may go to dangdang.com to search by "注音" and see the rating.

My son also loves the horrible histories series, plenty of comical pictures and about "real" historical events / personalities.

Hi CJ Mum,

I am keen to try ordering Chinese comics from Dangdang. Can I have more feedbank about this site. Such as payment, via credit card ok? does it really take up to 2 months for delivery? They deliver via normal mail or registered mail? What about the condition of books upon arrival, well packed?

I tried to register at dangdang website but funny, waited for their registration notice to be sent to my yahoo mail but none came. I am worried about their actual books delivery.

Hi, Lim:
my son also likes the horrible sciences and the horrible histories series. most of the time, he borrowed it from school library. where did you get these books?

Ok I have just placed an order with dangdang, payment went through but the site show a transaction error!!! I called my bank, they confirmed that payment is done. So now, I just have to sit back and wait for 2 monhts. Hope that my 蜡笔小新comics can arrive safely.

Hi Lim (biyan),

At least yr son reread them. Mine read it once and it is forever kept on the bookselves. Even the whole series of Geronimo Stilton books that I bought, he only read them once. Quite upset! The only book or rather magazine he will read over and over again is the Young Scientist Magazines.

mummies: the thread is so happening after the school hols have started! is it becos we r too busy with our monsters during the term?

ah wei: oh, my son's school using pacific bookstores. v easy, order online. then after tt order hubby to go school &amp; collect
happy.gif

ah fion: excu' me, not eat snake hor, is my own lunch hour.
biggrin.gif
i bot casco's science Q&amp;A 4 &amp; Science Process Skills from Teachers@work. good or not?

ah biyan: china books r super cheap. i went to wangfujin bookshop on the street of the same name last week in BJ. 7 floors of books &amp; staff all with super bad attitude. do u all ever borrow books from library? i find the selection is not bad. my son's school also makes them buy little white dragon quite often.

ah wahwah, ah JE: really envy y'all whose kids will read chinese books. mine....

Spaniel,
Don't blame your son, sometimes the problem is with the book, maybe the rat book only deserve a single reading. Horrible histories belong to a different category. My son also read the rat books only once, I bought about 15 of them, later I sold a few, gave few away, saved 5 for rememberance.

Lim (biyan),

Haha, when you said rat book, it reminds me of an incident. I once bought a an expensive pet chincilla, pet got sick, I called up the vet to make appt and I told them "CHINCHILLA". They said " ah! the rat!!" I have to correct them and said "excuse me, I paid a lot of money for it... it is not a RAT, please don't call it a rat, you may call it an expensive rodent!!! Anway, $10 for the rat book also not cheap considering buying the entire series! So when son said he is bored, I would remind him that the rat books are still sitting prettily on the shelves waiting to be read a 2nd time
happy.gif

Olwen, we are in the same situation, I guess I will just have to read the Chinese storybooks together with him, otherwise, cobwebs will found its way to the books!

Besides rat book, there is the beast book (Beast Quest), "more expensive" / "less value" since there is no color pictures and the paper quality is lousy. The beast books also only deserve single reading. For me, I had to overcome my unwillingness to buy story books - our NLB has good stock of good English books.

NLB has limited rat and beast books, because all out on loan, NLB also has limit fresh Chinese books because our new China Chinese kid friends LOVE reading. So I told myself, I will just buy (if possible at a discount from Book Depository) since my son does not get tuition and I can spend the tuition fee savings on books.

Maybe next time I can try to rent books.

So Spaniel, I am with your son on not reading rat books a second time, suggest you sell them all to the next deserving mum.

I am at my wits end on getting my son read Chinese books, even Little White Dragon needs to be read together, my son cannot / does not wait to do independent Chinese story book reading !@%$@#!
I ordered My Paper to read together with him but can only read one small Chinese article and the small bit of comics each day. I am even willing to give up morals by allow my son to read 蜡笔小新 comics. This comic series is somewhat too cheeky and has many adult jokes. But guess what, my son can actually "read" and laugh. He said the comic is so funny and enjoyable that he try figure out the Chinese words together with the funny illustrations. I also tried Doraemon comics - didn't work....

Doraemon comics doesn't work with my son too. I love it when I was a kid so I do not understand why he doesn't like it. Sigh... What is this little white dragon?

ah spaniel: at least urs read the whole GS series once. mine only reads Arthur! but luckily, many Arthur books in the library. english books r much easier than chinese. u all r right. NLB doesn't have as many good chinese books as english ones.

ah biyan: 小白龙 quite easy to read. similar to tintin. lots of pictures. i got the latest one with his textbooks last week. just nice, there was a story on BJ &amp; the Great Wall. he read the whole thing. ahhhh...

小白龙 is suitable for our local banana kids (yellow on the outside, white on the inside). I also bought the whole series.

Hi Mommies,

Well there is the BookFest coming up at Suntec. I think it's 10 Dec....can get more storybooks then. My son also likes to read Diary of Amos Lee compared to Diary of Wimpy Kid...coz can connect with the local author then the american one.

Lim,
You should monitor your email after making payment for your order. Dangdang will email you to request for your name, first 4 digits of cc and last 4 digits of cc for payment verification. I always receive my orders around 5 weeks but sometimes it could take a week more or so for dangdang to process the order til it's shipped out. As for the condition of books, so far so good.

Hello mummies,

Very fast!! School going to reopen soon, sigh... going to be another challenging &amp; stressful years for us and the kids. Next yr P4, my boy's sch has streaming. Hope he will be more sensible and do well in Yr'2011... Hmm.. have you got their books? Heehee, mine bought his books and uniforms last week
happy.gif

**Wishing everyone's a Happy Merry Christmas!!**
happy.gif

Hello Fion,

Yup, 2 more weeks to go to b4 new school term starts. I also hope my ds can "Kai Qiao" then I don't have to worry so much. My ds got his P4 books during the last week of Nov. I guess we mothers can never stop worrying even after they married!!!!!

Hi mummies,

I guess I'm the only one that haven't get books for my boy
sad.gif
Most likely will get them from the school tomorrow or before Christmas.

2 more weeks to go before new term starts. Boy will have some new friends. Hopefully he can get along with them.

Hi spanielpups, guess you are right. We mothers can never stop worrying even after they married
happy.gif

Back