Zoophonics

hsee

they only do the assessment when the kid to be enrol is 4 yr gg into the nursery class think is the inny sthg class....

rihini, cant explain letterland to u..... zoophonics is using animals...... like the pics below:
599066.jpg

I did this for my boy's room.
I dun receive good feedback on the zoophonics at thomson lei. hmmm maybe will bring him down one day for trial to check it out.

Sally,
so that's how they will recognise the alphabets? Will they then not be able to recognise ABC... without the animals? I saw on letterland's website some of their characters, not all animals but also using cartoons into the ABC...

Pls let me know how your trial goes.
happy.gif

What I'm interested to know is how the teaching methods / lesson presentation for zoophonics and letterland is different. anyone can help?

rihini, this is only one part of zoophonics.... there is another part with alphabets together:
599503.jpg

From wat I noe, GUG method in teaching zoophonics r better.
Will let u noe after I go for the zoophonics trial.

hey sally, when r u gg for the trial? n how can i arrange one for my 19mth clara? im staying in simei, so all 3 locations r pretty far. any idea if there's any nearer to the east?

many thanks!!!

Hi Bloom Tan, I will arrange for the trial onli in Jan cos dun wan to stress my boy,as he still needs to finish up his GUG for this term n starting his daily playgroup from mon to fri on 11 dec, so will wait till his GUG term ends then go for a trial with zoophonics. Not sure the east area, I will go to the one in Thomson since I stay in AMK. Maybe u can call n check? Understand some centres also use zoophonics.

Hi all,

I am also interested in Zoo-phonics at thomson branch. Anyone are planning to attend trial there, maybe we can arrange together? My son is now 22 mths.

Hi everyone,
For parents who brought the kids for zoophonics lesson, did ur test if ur child could recognise the letters without the animals? So, for Zoophonics at Thomson, all the lessons are just about the letters and animals?

Actually, my gal at 18mths can recognise and say most letters of the alphabets cos I teach her and let her watch Brainy Baby ABCs, so if Zoo phonics just teaches letters, then may not be a gd idea to send her there. Anyone can feedback on Zoophonics, pl? Thanks!

Hi eveee,

wow... ur gal is so smart, can recognise and say the names of all the alphabets. My gal is still at G. haha... actually Zoophonics teaches the sounds of the alphabets. This only forms a small bit of the lesson. They do art and craft, singing, story telling and some games. My gal knows all the A-Z sounds in about a mth. Now when I show her the C, she can say the C's sound. Zoophonics recommend teaching the phonics 1st before the alphabets. U can go for a trial 1st before u sign ur gal up.

Hope this helps.
happy.gif

Hi eveee,
My 2 year old boy just started at Zoophonics, attended 3 lessons. He can recognize most of the letters and sounds by watching Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD.

But when he attended Zoophonics, when the teacher shows the animal pictures, he cannot really recognize each of them. He knows exactly how the real letters look like, but the animals do not look very much like the letters.

I think it will be more confusing for the child to remember all the animal names, especially at this young age. I feel that it is easier to just learn the letters.

But I will still let my boy attend a few more months, because like what CC2 said, they do other things which are also beneficial to my boy.

Actually I was keen to put my older girl, who is now 3 years old, in their more advanced class which teaches blending of the letters to words. I told the teacher that my girl already knows all the letters and sounds. Then she asked if my girl knows the animals and the actions ? I am like huh ? Is that important ?

The teacher wanted my girl to go for a test. My girl is very shy, and will not speak in front of strangers, she didn't want to speak to the teacher at all. So I can't put her in the advanced class. Actually I can put her in the class for her age group, they will take 10 months to learn all the alphabets. Since my girl already knows all of them, I find it useless to put her there.

I am considering putting my girl in Montessori phonics class now.

Hi CC2 & Tamarind,

Thanks for the replies. The lesson sounds fine. M just afraid that Zoophonics will confuse her cos she already recognises and can say most letters tho her pronounication is still not very sharp, Yes, m planning to go for the trial & c how.

Just attended the JG trial lesson today & boy, am the mummy tired. I mean, I've to stop her from disturbing the piano teacher during the song section...haha ... m going to try Pat's Schoolhouse 'D' story club & kindermusik, then can compare & decide which is gd...

Wonder if the mummies have recently gone for other school's trial lesson & can share the experience?

Hi eveee,

hv u attended d story club trial? which branch did u go? i m planning to go for a trial too as am thinking of putting my kid at the nursery so tot it is a gd way to get her familarise with the place.

Hi hsee,
m attending the trial this Sat at the Halifax rd branch. Will u be there too? How old is ur child?
happy.gif

hi eveee,

solli for late reply....me went for trial last sat at lim ah pin branch....find tat they tried to cramp too many things into the 1.5hrs though covers all areas. how u find the trial? still tinking whether to continue....:) how old is ur kid? mine is 2+ yrs

Hi everyone,

My son is taking classes at GUG. He is just 2years old. Been with them for last 3 months. I wouldn't say that is the best school but my son now knows what letter make what sound.

Just would like to share with you that the teachers advise us to start off teaching kids small letter instead of capital letters as small letter are use most of the time in reading material.

Also, they encourage kids to learn the sound of each letter first, instead the name of each letter. Learning what sound each letter make will help them to pronounce words at latter stage. Whereas the names of each letter has got nothing to do with the pronunciation

Hi Lin2004,

Can i ask why did u mention tat GUG isnt the best school? Cos i intend to let clara - 21mths join the bilingual classes on saturdays...

Jus looking for some feedback.. Thanks!!

My boy was in Zoophonics class for about 5 months this year. He will be 3 years old in Sep.

In his class, there are a few around 2 years old or younger. Some of them cannot sit still and pay attention to the teacher. They kept running round and round the class, touching everything. When their mother try to grab them, they scream and cry and need to be carried out. Even after 2 - 3 months it is still the same. I have seen at least 2 mommies pull out their kids, since they are not learning anything.

hi tamarind,

which zoophonics r your boy attending?

my gal is also attending at thomson n i find the class organised though she is not yet 3. Guess u may have join the younger age group?

tzac,
My boy was attending Zoophonics Jurong West. At the beginning of the year, he was 2 years 2 months old, I was told to join the younger group. He attends once a week on Sunday.

I have stopped going to Zoophonics in May already. I didn't like the teacher, she was singing the same songs every week, and she spend half the time singing these songs very boring.

I heard that zoophonics in other area, like bukit timah, is not as bad as this.

My boy is now going to PCF pre-nursery everyday, the teacher is very very good, and the program very interesting. I should have put him there since Jan instead of going to Zoophonics JW.

Hi Tamarind,

Tat's great to hear. What is the program like for PCF? Have always hear not so good comments on PCF so skeptical in putting my kid there though they r very conveniently located around housing estates...

Avery,
The teacher is Azura. Before her was Teacher Melissa, she was very good, too bad she left.

tzac,
It is a new PCF kindergarten at Blk 661B Jurong West, they have classes from pre-nursery. Their fees are high, $160 a month, but the teacher and program are very good. Yes it is true that some PCF are not quite bad, so need to choose carefully.

Hi Tamarind,
Now the teacher is Rita. She's good. Maybe you want to try again sending your boy Zoophonics.

my gal attends zoophonics at thomson. her teacher is sheila. She is quite good. not sure who is teaching the sat 4pm class now.. sheila used to do it.
happy.gif

Hi Tuffy, thanks for the info! I called the centre and was told that Sheila is not teaching the Sat 4pm class now. I think I will wait for zoophonics to open its new branch at Serangoon North as Thomson is really far for me. Thanks!

hi,

I m contemplating in letting my 3YO boy to attend the Zookids. can anybody tell me whether Bukit timah or JW branch is better? i called them and the people who spoke to me sound very auntie leh????

Avery, ur boy is in which class? i.e, zookids? which day? i called JW, they say got a morning slot for sunday.

my 4-year son attends the incy worm since Jun 07 @ the thomson branch. I enrolled him in zoophonics as he was beginning to show interest in sounds... his nursery is doing letterland with him. realise that he enjoys the lessons a lot and he likes the hand gestures. He takes the initiatives to 'dissect' his words during reading. quite pleased with the zoo lessons.

hi fish world,

is your ds attending the daily program? my dd also attending at thomson branch. maybe they are classmates?

hi fish_world,
is your son full day in cambridge or only for the nursery class? I'll like to know a bit more about Cambridge, can PM me pls? TIA.

HI,

Anyone send their kids to zoophonics when they are 18mh? Care to feedback, but afraid that ck? I plan to send my son go there when he is still small, dun benefit much from the teaching. Scare he will run about

hi mummies, i send my daughter to letterland instead. Zoo phonics i guess my daughter has problem recognising it because the alphabets too complicated for children.
currently sending my daughter to a private enrichment at sembawang area for 1 to 1 attention. She teaches letterland and my daughter enjoy the lesson. But not sure if the teacher still takes in students not.
anyway you can email me at [email protected]
if you are interested for the contact.

Hi mommies,

WTS one set of zoophonics school uniform (boy). JW recept made a mistake & asked me to buy uniform when ds only attending playgp once/wk. All his classmates not wearing! Worn for less than a term & stopped.

In gd condition 8/10. No stains whatsoever & usually hand washed. Top size 24, Bottom size M. Letting go cheaply @ $10 inc normal postage. Pls pm me to deal, thks.

My daughter has been attending zoophonics classes since 22 months. She is now 24 months, can 'perform' the phonics sounds and the actions from A to G. She enjoys the lessons.

Hi,

My BB going to turn 18mth soon, i am planning to put him in zoophonics @ JW as it is nearer to my place. As i know they have daily programme (2x aweek) and weekend (1x) enrichment programme. They are both the same except daily programme included chinese supplement and the lesson is half hour more than the weekend classes, i find that daily classes is more value for $. My son is currently attending class @ every sat @ else where, i intend to drop him out from the current school n place him in zoophonic once he reach 18mth, do u think it will be very stress for him to attend the daily classes which is 2x a week? I find it is more value for $ but scare my son cant take it. Do anyone care to share ur experience or feedback regarding the daily n weekend programme?

Hi,

To summarise, Zoo-phonics @ JW not good? My mum has been asking me to send my son to Zoo-phonics @ JW for his N1 next yr. But I'm quite hesitant. Anyone know if St Francis of Assisi @ Boon Lay good? Thanks!

my son attended SFA @ boon lay since N1. he is in N2 this year. i cant compare much since have never tried other schools. I intend to put him to jurong calvary next year in his K1, which i heard academically is better.

but so far, SFA is one of thoese that have many excursions, which i like it. some parents may not like it. they also have weekly sand/ water play. not very academic, but good enough for nursery level. i dont want to stress him too much. they learn thru play, i guess. i intend to put my gal next year at SFA N1 too!

Hi Stressma,

Thanks for the info. Ya, I share your thoughts. A well rounded education is best. Oh, I heard Jurong Calvary is very popular. Have you registered already? May go on waiting list

Back